PDA

View Full Version : David Stern: Sanctions coming

D.J.
11-30-2012, 03:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8692304/san-antonio-spurs-sit-4-top-5-scorers-vs-miami-heat

San Antonio's Gregg Popovich sent stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, plus key role player Danny Green, on a commercial flight home instead of playing them in a nationally televised game against the Miami Heat so they could rest ahead of the Spurs' Saturday home game against the league-leading Memphis Grizzlies.

"I don't think Pop was in the wrong; it's not in the rules to tell you you can't send your guys home. The commish made his decision and everybody else will deal with it."

"It's the best thing for our team. Everybody has to make decisions about their schedule. We've done this before in hopes we're making a wiser decision and not a macho decision. Perhaps, it'll give us an opportunity to stay on the floor with Memphis on Saturday night."

If anyone should be punished, it should be the Miami Heat for almost losing that game.

D.J.
11-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Sorry, missed the other thread. But moral of the topic, WTF is wrong with Stern?

iamgine
11-30-2012, 03:25 AM
I support the sanction while also realize that the Spurs did nothing wrong.

Sanction would be useful so teams don't try the kind of behavior that is bad for fans. For example, what if Miami Heat starters stop playing away games when they have enough wins to reach the playoff? That is not wrong at all but clearly it needs to be stopped.

D.J.
11-30-2012, 03:30 AM

Sanction would be useful so teams don't try the kind of behavior that is bad for fans. For example, what if Miami Heat starters stop playing away games when they have enough wins to reach the playoff? That is not wrong at all but clearly it needs to be stopped.

You can't apply a sanction when no rule was broken. If Stern does attempt to do so, the Spurs will most definitely not go away quietly.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 03:33 AM

I totally agree.

I've seen a lot of support for Pop's decision, but I think by pulling his starters from the world champion and in my opinion still the best team so far this year is stupid. Win or lose, his starters should of treated this game like a playoff game because this is the team to beat if they were to make it to the finals. They need all the experience they can get, not f*ckin' Memphis Grizzlies.

Tired or not. If you are healthy, you play ball. Period. Some kid working minimum wage at Mcdonald's is still required to show up to work if he is not sick or dealing with family issues that might prevent him from attending. These spoiled millionaires are going to take the day off because they are too tired?

Please. Go play ping pong Duncan.

Bad decision by Pop. If he is so concerned about their health, then limit their minutes; at least they could of had a chance to steal one from the Heat.

Droid101
11-30-2012, 03:33 AM
You can't apply a sanction when no rule was broken. If Stern does attempt to do so, the Spurs will most definitely not go away quietly.
Totally, just like how when the Lakers didn't break any rules making a legitimate trade with the Rockets and Hornets, right?

DirtySanchez
11-30-2012, 03:37 AM
I agree with Stern it's bad for business. Its early on in the season people paid good money to see the beat product. I'd be pissed if the Spurs came to town and Pop sat out thier main three guys and they weren't injured.

Dave3
11-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Totally, just like how when the Lakers didn't break any rules making a legitimate trade with the Rockets and Hornets, right?
That wasn't the same thing though. Technically when that trade happened, because it was the Hornets, every owner was allowed to weigh in on the decision happening, as every owner partly owned the Hornets. In this scenario though, no one has any say on what the Spurs can and can't do.

#1SportsFan86
11-30-2012, 03:56 AM

You saw how Odom worked out for the Mavs right?...:facepalm

Now what make's you think Odom would have been alright playing in New Orleans?...

Sarcastic
11-30-2012, 04:14 AM
I agree with Stern it's bad for business. Its early on in the season people paid good money to see the beat product. I'd be pissed if the Spurs came to town and Pop sat out thier main three guys and they weren't injured.

Exactly. The NBA was just claiming poverty in the past lockout, and took a huge chunk of money from the players. It doesn't help your cause when you have a team sit all its stars, and purposely tank games, then claim you can't make money.

Stern should force the Spurs to pay back every singe person who bought a ticket for that game.

B4llin
11-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Pop probably did this for other reasons, being that he thinks playing the heat is a lose lose situation because it doesnt matter if you have a better team the reffs are on miami's side.

Pushxx
11-30-2012, 04:19 AM
Stern just did this to make the small % of stupid fans feel better.

It's gonna be a $25k fine and that's it.

Sarcastic
11-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Pop probably did this for other reasons, being that he thinks playing the heat is a lose lose situation because it doesnt matter if you have a better team the reffs are on miami's side.

Obviously the costs of losing with the stars was greater than the benefit of winning with them, which is why Pop did it. But the fans paid money to see the stars play. If they got a reduction for ticket prices, then it's completely understandable to sit healthy players. I doubt they did though.

iamgine
11-30-2012, 04:26 AM
If you are the league office, you can make something up now can't you. Hmm lemme see here, unsportsmanlike conduct, intentional losing.

The Spurs will definitely go away quietly if they are wise. :oldlol:

I think it will be just a warning or small fine though.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Obviously the costs of losing with the stars was greater than the benefit of winning with them, which is why Pop did it. But the fans paid money to see the stars play. If they got a reduction for ticket prices, then it's completely understandable to sit healthy players. I doubt they did though.

Yup. Exactly.

Pop is basically saying his team cannot compete. He threw the game to save face. Had his starters lost this game, everyone would be talking about how old they were instead of how deep since their scrub players nearly won the game.

Smart publicity stunt? Perhaps. But if you can read through the lines, this is easily one of the most pathetic moves a coach has made in the history of sports.

Brunch@Five
11-30-2012, 04:43 AM
If Pop was serious about it, he would have pulled them from a game against a scrub team

Horatio33
11-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Yup. Exactly.

Pop is basically saying his team cannot compete. He threw the game to save face. Had his starters lost this game, everyone would be talking about how old they were instead of how deep since their scrub players nearly won the game.

Smart publicity stunt? Perhaps. But if you can read through the lines, this is easily one of the most pathetic moves a coach has made in the history of sports.

He hasn't done it because he thinks the heat will thrash the Spurs. He's done it because the Spurs have had two long road trips with a four games in five nights stretch.

Pop is one of the most competitive guys in the league, but he is also a realist. Why tire out his guys for a regular season game?

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
He hasn't done it because he thinks the heat will thrash the Spurs. He's done it because the Spurs have had two long road trips with a four games in five nights stretch.

Pop is one of the most competitive guys in the league, but he is also a realist. Why tire out his guys for a regular season game?

Simple. They are getting paid millions to compete.

This isn't like Phil resting Jordan in the 4th quarter when he has played every minute while under the flu. Players are expected to condition themselves to compete back to back to back games during the regular course of the season.

If some stars can play injured, there should be no reason why these starters can't go out and compete against the best team in the league.

No excuse.

The Spurs have proven they are not true competitors.

JustinJDW
11-30-2012, 05:45 AM

This isn't like Phil resting Jordan in the 4th quarter when he has played every minute while under the flu. Players are expected to condition themselves to compete back to back to back games during the regular course of the season.

If some stars can play injured, there should be no reason why these starters can't go out and compete against the best team in the league.

No excuse.

The Spurs have proven they are not true competitors.Yep, the players get paid millions to play basketball. And the coach gets paid millions to decide when and how they play basketball.

The Spurs proved they aren't true competitors? Yeah, its that serious. Four rings and I don't know how many 50+ win seasons in a row, but if you don't play the Heat in November, you're not a true competitor. Yep, its that serious. :rolleyes:

Pushxx
11-30-2012, 05:45 AM

No excuse.

Holy bullshit. Spurs play harder even in the regular season than any other team I've seen in the last decade.

Fans are stupid as hell. I've been to NBA games at the end of the regular season, and the fans don't understand why all the stars are sitting. Big ****ing deal.

Pop is brilliant. The move is a great confidence and chemistry builder, and it rests his best players so they can perform better in future games of the 82-game season. Pop has proven it's a genius move and he tends to win many games with his third-string players because of how he gets them to play.

If Spurs fans don't appreciate their coach, find another team to root for. If I were a Spurs fan at that game, I'd be rooting just as hard. I know because I've done it at certain Celtics games.

Nick Young
11-30-2012, 05:50 AM

No excuse.

LAWL he almost beat the NBA champions without his 3 best players on national television? How is that not true competition. Now in the future when Miami does play San Antonio again, let's say it's the NBA finals, the Miami players will be like "Shit, we could barely beat them without Manu, Duncan and Parker, we're f*cked". Doubt will be subconsciously planted in their minds, and the San Antonio bench has alot of belief now.

GOOD COACHING.

Also, teams should be allowed to do what they want with their own players. I'm sick of this dictator Stern bullshit.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Holy bullshit. Spurs play harder even in the regular season than any other team I've seen in the last decade.

Fans are stupid as hell. I've been to NBA games at the end of the regular season, and the fans don't understand why all the stars are sitting. Big ****ing deal.

Pop is brilliant. The move is a great confidence and chemistry builder, and it rests his best players so they can perform better in future games of the 82-game season. Pop has proven it's a genius move and he tends to win many games with his third-string players because of how he gets the to play.

If Spurs fans don't appreciate their coach, find another team to root for. If I were a Spurs fan at that game, I'd be rooting just as hard.

Resting against the Heat and you call that brilliant?

The smart move would be to throw everything he got at the Heat to PROVE his team has what it takes. You don't cave in to the world champion like that. That's like Marquez calling up Manny and telling him he can't get in the ring because he was out partying late the night before.

If they were true competitors, then every game with the Heat will be treated like a playoff game because that is the team they will need to go through if they ever want another ring.

You don't focus on the ringless Grizzlies or even the La Lakers, Pop should know by now he needs to get past the Heat if he ever wants to win another championship.

Win or lose. He should of competed. This is a new Heat team with a new set of arsenals his starters needed to compete with in order to learn and evolve before the playoffs roll around.

mikek85
11-30-2012, 06:04 AM
I hate David Stern..... omg :facepalm

Pushxx
11-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Resting against the Heat and you call that brilliant?

The smart move would be to throw everything he got at the Heat to PROVE his team has what it takes. You don't cave in to the world champion like that. That's like Marquez calling up Manny and telling him he can't get in the ring because he was out partying late the night before.

If they were true competitors, then every game with the Heat will be treated like a playoff game because that is the team they will need to go through if they ever want another ring.

You don't focus on the ringless Grizzlies or even the La Lakers, Pop should know by now he needs to get past the Heat if he ever wants to win another championship.

Win or lose. He should of competed. This is a new Heat team with a new set of arsenals his starters needed to compete with in order to learn and evolve before the playoffs roll around.

You must not have watched Pop coach his way to any of his four championships.

You also don't get that the team he rests them against is meaningless. It's the end of an insanely difficult stretch of games. Your analogy doesn't make sense. lol Pop has done this a ton.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 06:13 AM
You must not have watched Pop coach his way to any of his four championships.

You also don't get that the team he rests them against is meaningless. It's the end of an insanely difficult stretch of games. Your analogy doesn't make sense. lol Pop has done this a ton.

False.

First time I have ever seen a team rest their best players against the team they should beat if they ever wanted to win the championship.

Nope. Never heard of the Jazz resting Malone, Stockton, Hornacek, Russell, etc. against the Bulls nor have I ever heard of the Lakers resting Kobe when they are set to compete against an elite squad, regular season or not.

This sh*t is new.

doublethetrouble
11-30-2012, 06:17 AM
I totally agree.

I've seen a lot of support for Pop's decision, but I think by pulling his starters from the world champion and in my opinion still the best team so far this year is stupid. Win or lose, his starters should of treated this game like a playoff game because this is the team to beat if they were to make it to the finals. They need all the experience they can get, not f*ckin' Memphis Grizzlies.

i had to log in for the first time in 4 months just to point out the stupidity of this comment.

Duncan/Parker/Ginobili need more experience? :lol :wtf:

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Also, teams should be allowed to do what they want with their own players. I'm sick of this dictator Stern bullshit.

So why not rest them against the Wizards or Orlando? The bench can prob handle those guys pretty well and it'll give their starters enough rest for the Heat game and then Grizzlies.

He caved. Simple as that.

InspiredLebowski
11-30-2012, 06:21 AM
If Stern wants to do the "feel bad for the fans" bullshit, then it's time to build a governing body that approves bullshit trades. We've seen plenty. He was completely fine with destroying the Pacers (which they absolutely earned), but instead of stepping in and just letting players be released w/o cap ramifications in an unprecedented event that us fans clearly had no control over he destroyed the franchise. And it will NEVER recover. Fans didn't matter then. What's up Stern? You fugazi mother****er.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 06:21 AM
i had to log in for the first time in 4 months just to point out the stupidity of this comment.

Well considering they haven't won a ring for a while, there is still a lot they need to learn.

chains5000
11-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Both sides got their reasons, and both are right. Can't blame/hate neither Stern or Popovich.

Pushxx
11-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Which he followed up with this gem:

This is a new Heat team with a new set of arsenals his starters needed to compete with in order to learn and evolve before the playoffs roll around.

InspiredLebowski
11-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Both sides got their reasons, and both are right. Can't blame/hate neither Stern or Popovich.Yes you can. Stern wants to say something to the effect of "bummer for the fans, but we're 30 individual franchises, I disagree with Pop's decision, but each team runs their organization as they see fit" cool. Talk some shit to Pop in the media or whatever, Pop sitting his guys is a weak move.

But fining guys is stupid. Unless you want to start fining every team that sits starters the last 2 weeks of the year when the playoffs are decided. It's the exact same thing.

chains5000
11-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Yes you can. Stern wants to say something to the effect of "bummer for the fans, but we're 30 individual franchises, I disagree with Pop's decision, but each team runs their organization as they see fit" cool. Talk some shit to Pop in the media or whatever, Pop sitting his guys is a weak move.

But fining guys is stupid. Unless you want to start fining every team that sits starters the last 2 weeks of the year when the playoffs are decided. It's the exact same thing.
Well, I guess fining the Spurs for a rule that doesn't exist is to blame, yeah.

Purch
11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I totally agree.

Tired or not. If you are healthy, you play ball. Period. Some kid working minimum wage at Mcdonald's is still required to show up to work if he is not sick or dealing with family issues that might prevent him from attending. These spoiled millionaires are going to take the day off because they are too tired?

Bad decision by Pop. If he is so concerned about their health, then limit their minutes; at least they could of had a chance to steal one from the Heat.

They had a chance to steal the game tonight... Did you even watch the game or were you to busy bitching?

They were 1-2 plays away from an upset.

You people whine about stars, whiles real basketball fans can watch fine basketball without Manu behind the back passes sparking the offense

La Frescobaldi
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Who sets the NBA schedule? Who's the dolt that scheduled an elite team 4 games in 5 nights so they would be exhausted. And who do they end that road trip with? The Wizards? No.

The League decides to deliberately schedule the end of that road trip (and in fact that entire month) to be against the world champions.

Spurs schedule:
Nov 23 Pacers
Nov 25 Raptors
Nov 26 Wizards
Nov 28 Orlando
Nov 29 Miami

And what about the Heat schedule?
Nov 17 Phoenix
Nov 21 Milwaukee
Nov 24 Cleveland
Nov 29 Spurs.

Not only does the league deliberately force the Spurs into the corner like that, but they then proceed to nationally televise that humiliation.

And then when the team does what is best for themselves Stern pronounces they're going to sanction the Spurs.

The League truly needs to get rid of David Stern if he talks about sanctions after allowing that to happen to some of the great players of this generation.

Godzuki
11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Popovich is such a baby'ing lil bitch. only the soft ass spurs could/would pull shit like this :facepalm lol 15 games into the season resting his players....you have to be kidding me.

Floppy
11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Business > *

If they get fined I'm done watching this shit.

Casual "fans" are the bane of every sport.

BlueandGold
11-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I totally agree.

While I understand your premise my concern, as well as many others I'm sure, is the legal complications this precedent could set in the NBA (and other leagues) concerning the power of the commissioner, even when those powers are not implicitly or even expressly stated.

Stern has such a history of making "basketball related decisions" (notice the irony quotes) that in his case it's especially worrisome.

ChuckOakley
11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
This is absurd.

The "sanctions" the Spurs face is that they lost a game that perhaps they should have won (and could have won regardless).

Popovich had every right to rest the players that he did. And he also has the right to make the statement that he did.. that the schedule is excessive and leads to fatigue and injuries.

Meanwhile, should the Wizards be fined for putting out the product that they do? The Spurs still fielded a better team last night than 1/2 a dozen teams in the NBA.

The only argument Stern has in his favor is the fans in Miami (I could care less about a TV audience), but
a. Those tickets would have sold out regardless of who they were playing
b. The fans got to see a great game
c. The fans got to see their team win, would they prefer a loss?
d. The fans come to see LBJ, Bosh, Wade. Most don't care about the opposing teams players and would have bought those tickets regardless of who they were playing. The few die hard fans that came to see TD and TP would know about Popovich's antics most likely.
e. "Wahhhhh" It's a risk they take buying ticket to any event. Should The Who refund concert tickets if they don't play Baba O'Riley at a show?
f. It happens all the time late in the season and in the pre-season. Fans actually get to see some hidden gems on the bench

Stern has become a joke.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
They had a chance to steal the game tonight... Did you even watch the game or were you to busy bitching?

They were 1-2 plays away from an upset.

You people whine about stars, whiles real basketball fans can watch fine basketball without Manu behind the back passes sparking the offense

No dumbsh*t.

If the bench players can keep the game that close, imagine what the starters could do playing limited minutes? It would of been an easy win for them.

This is the reason why I question their willingness to compete. Do you think Jordan would of ever taken time off against the Pistons when he knew full well that was the team he had to go through regular season or playoffs?

Pop knew the schedule ahead of time; a true competitor would rest his starters against the crappy Wizards and Magic to gear up for the Heat.

You play to compete, and by skipping the best team in the league and ring holder, this is full proof Pop no longer has the desire to compete again. Have fun with that early playoff exit: it seems like that is the team's only goal losers.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 12:33 PM
This is absurd.

The "sanctions" the Spurs face is that they lost a game that perhaps they should have won (and could have won regardless).

Popovich had every right to rest the players that he did. And he also has the right to make the statement that he did.. that the schedule is excessive and leads to fatigue and injuries.

Meanwhile, should the Wizards be fined for putting out the product that they do? The Spurs still fielded a better team last night than 1/2 a dozen teams in the NBA.

The only argument Stern has in his favor is the fans in Miami (I could care less about a TV audience), but
a. Those tickets would have sold out regardless of who they were playing
b. The fans got to see a great game
c. The fans got to see their team win, would they prefer a loss?
d. The fans come to see LBJ, Bosh, Wade. Most don't care about the opposing teams players and would have bought those tickets regardless of who they were playing. The few die hard fans that came to see TD and TP would know about Popovich's antics most likely.
e. "Wahhhhh" It's a risk they take buying ticket to any event. Should The Who refund concert tickets if they don't play Baba O'Riley at a show?
f. It happens all the time late in the season and in the pre-season. Fans actually get to see some hidden gems on the bench

Stern has become a joke.

Pop is obviously taunting Stern. I doubt his players were tired. Pop felt Stern screwed him over with a rugged schedule; he knew this would be a huge televised game on TNT; he knew if he did not come out to play, it'll send a huge F-U message to Stern and his goons.

14 games in the season and cry baby Dunkie is already complaining about being too tired; these old farts need to give up basketball and go canoeing or some sh*t. Weak.

TheCalmInsanity
11-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm thinking the reason Stern is so upset is because the NBA is an entertainment business. From an entertainment standpoint, when TNT is paying to air (and have the rights to) a great game between the Spurs and the NBA champions, people want to see the big name players.

Now I understand the move from a coaching perspective and I agree a coach can bench players whenever he wants. But shouldn't these guys be in good enough condition to play all 82 games? It's just weird to me, the NBA has been around for a while and it's been 82 games for a while, every team has been fine with it.

ANOTHER THING: I believe if you're not going to play the players, AT LEAST have them come to your games. Why would you send them home? So Timmy, Parker, Green, and Ginobili are all sitting on their couches at home, holding a glass of whisky on the rocks, watching this game on their 72" TV's while banging their wives and getting paid for it.. While the bench players are at the game playing it. Just not fair, imho.

All in all, what I've got from this is.. Not fair to the national audience who wanted to see the Spurs at full strength vs the Heat at full strength, not fair to the Spurs fans who would want to see their team at full strength (and possibly another W), and not fair to the Heat because now they don't know how they stand against the Spurs judging from that game. Assumptions can be made that they can't even beat the Spurs bench, but who knows what other variables would be in there if the starters played.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
At the end of the year, you wanna rest your players for postseason play, etc., I'm all for it. Again, though, we're BARELY a month into the season. Completely unacceptable. I don't often agree w/ Stern, but he's right on the money here.

Heavincent
11-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Great...more "basketball reasons".

Godzuki
11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes you can. Stern wants to say something to the effect of "bummer for the fans, but we're 30 individual franchises, I disagree with Pop's decision, but each team runs their organization as they see fit" cool. Talk some shit to Pop in the media or whatever, Pop sitting his guys is a weak move.

its not the same as the end of the year thats why people citing that is laughable. its obvious towards the end of the year players are tired, that playoffs are around the corner, and its at least understandable you sit players for your playoff run....but to do it 15 games into the season? :facepalm how far away are the playoffs again? he's micro-managing to that degree this early? :facepalm only Pop the overcoacher...notice no other teams coaches pull BS like this and they have some packed schedules too.

its just so anti competitive lame its unbelievable actual NBA fans are trying to justify it. it sets a horrible precedent. lucky Pop is like Phil where they have so many fanboys that think they can't do wrong....

KOBEtherealKing
11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
that's like kobe, nash or gasol sitting out because their tired or old. GTFOH pop. these guys make so much money if the player isnt injured or has an family emergency or anything serious then play them. the people that pay nearly $500 dont want to see a bunch of scrubs in the starting lineup. I know pop doesn't do it every game but its not fair to the fans that pay tons of money to see their favorite player.

PP34Deuce
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Both sides are wrong and right. This is true definition or gray area. people preach popavich for making a point but it doesnt look smart. If you are revolting..get other coaches doing it.

Bos has had b2bs and travel just like,la has too. Maybe it jus speaks volumes pp Kobe Dwight and kg love to play.

Callystarr
11-30-2012, 07:21 PM
82 game seasons too much? Are you kidding me? These millionaires...

Fans come to see their players play, and dammit I want to see my stars play if they are healthy.

All of a sudden after 50 years 82 games is too much...GTFOH. There are too many damn players that have played 15+ years with little to no injuries to hear that crap.

When you are approaching 40, you are GOING to get fatigued...hello you are getting OLD!

Clifton
11-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't see the problem for fans.

Who watches the Spurs for the individual players? You watch the Spurs for the Spurs. For Gregg Popovich and whatever well-coached nobodies-in-particular he trots out. (Even when some of those nobodies are all-stars.)

As we all saw last night.

Clifton
11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
that's like kobe, nash or gasol sitting out because their tired or old. GTFOH pop.
Shaq used to take games off all the time in Phoenix.

Anyway, I think it's different. People watch the Lakers because of hero-worship of Kobe Bryant. Nobody watches the Spurs for the stars. Nobody watches the Spurs at all, but when they do, it's not for the stars. The only Spurs player who is interesting to watch in his own right is Manu, and he usually takes half of every game off at least.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't see the problem for fans.

Who watches the Spurs for the individual players? You watch the Spurs for the Spurs. For Gregg Popovich and whatever well-coached nobodies-in-particular he trots out. (Even when some of those nobodies are all-stars.)

As we all saw last night.

The thing is the players prob wanted to play. This is all on Pop and his stupid grudge against Stern. Sure they had a tough schedule leading up to the Heat game; sure the Heat had it easy, but other teams have had tough schedules like that before but they never decided to take off for vacation when the going gets tough.

Guys like Jordan and Kobe play with the freakin' flu and these old nut jobs are complaining about being tired?

I have lost a lot of respect for this team: they have what it takes to be the best team in the league, but something is not there. That fire.

I think this is just Pop going at it with Stern; he knew he was going to piss him off, but all he did was screw the fans, the players, and himself (after penalties).

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
I usually don't support Stern, but he really needs to throw the hammer down on this one to keep the sport competitive.

What's going to happen next? Teams are going to stop competing because they are too lazy to suit up? If you are healthy, you play. Period. Rest up when you get the job done and take a break before the playoffs.

It would be funny if both teams end up with the best record leading up to the finals and this game is the tie breaker that will determine who gets home court.

D.J.
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
$250K fine. This is going to open up a whole can of worms. What happens if say Miami has locked up home court in the East or even the entire playoffs and they decide to sit LeBron or Wade? Will they be fined too?

clayton
12-01-2012, 01:43 AM
World class athletes too tired to work. I wonder how would the average joes survive...

D.J.
12-01-2012, 01:47 AM
World class athletes too tired to work. I wonder how would the average joes survive...

Popovich decided that Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili weren't going to play. I'm sure they wanted to play.

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Stern is the Adolf Hitler of Basketball.