PDA

View Full Version : Possible Westbrook could be considered #1 point guard after this year?

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Numbers of some of the best PGs so far this season:

Westbrook: 20.7 points, 8.6 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 3.1 turnovers
Chris Paul: 16.5 points, 9.6 assists, 3.6 rebounds, 2.8 steals, 2.3 turnovers
Tony Parker: 17.3 points, 7.2 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 0.7 steals, 2 turnovers
Rajon Rondo: 12.9 points, 12.9 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 1.9 steals, 3.2 turnovers
Deron Williams: 16.1 points,8.8 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 1.1 steals, 2. turnovers
Damian Lillard: 19.1 points, 6.1 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 3.2 turnovers
Jrue Holiday: 18.5 points, 9.1 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 4.4 turnovers
Kyrie Irving: 22.9 points, 5.6 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 1.1 steals, 4.1 turnovers

Obviously it's early in the season, but what's the chances GOATbrook is the best point guard in the league at the end of the year?

Patrick Chewing
12-01-2012, 01:12 AM
What's his FG%???

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:13 AM
What's his FG%???
42%. Not very good.. but he started last year with a bad FG% and I believe finished at 46% at the end of the year.

tikay0
12-01-2012, 01:15 AM
42%. Not very good.. but he started last year with a bad FG% and I believe finished at 46% at the end of the year.

He's a career 43% from the field. Not too far off.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-01-2012, 01:16 AM
i reAlly can't cAll him a pg though. i think he's the 2nd best sg in the league.

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:19 AM
He's a career 43% from the field. Not too far off.
He's improved leaps and bounds over the past two years.. I don't think it matters what his career average is. He's young, not exactly the best indicator. As I said, I believe he was 46% last year. I'd expect at least 45% this year.

i reAlly can't cAll him a pg though. i think he's the 2nd best sg in the league.

Another idiot on this board who doesn't even watch games, but instead just reads what everyone else says and quotes it like gospel :sleeping 8.6 assists per game so far, taking less shots than last year. Playing much more like a PG this year.

tikay0
12-01-2012, 01:21 AM
He's improved leaps and bounds over the past two years.. I don't think it matters what his career average is. He's young, not exactly the best indicator. As I said, I believe he was 46% last year. I'd expect at least 45% this year.

Maybe. Maybe not. He has Durant on that team. There's no excuse for such a horrid fg%.

DStebb716
12-01-2012, 01:21 AM
i'm pretty sick of this "he's not a pg," "i can't call him a pg" shit. he's averaging 8+ assists a game. that's DAMN good for a point guard.

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:22 AM
i'm pretty sick of this "he's not a pg," "i can't call him a pg" shit. he's averaging 8+ assists a game. that's DAMN good for a point guard.
Most people on this forum don't actually watch games dude..

Graviton
12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
His FG% is not as important because he gets to the line and makes up for it. His points per possession are efficient. He is still the best scorer and defender at his position. CP3 likes to protect his percentages and defers to role players, see how Westbrook shitted on him this season?

Russ has been averaging 22/9 in his last 10 and has helped OKC to 8-2 record in that stretch. Other PGs are too easy to shut down and control by just putting a bigger defender on them or Westbrook himself. Rose and Russ are the only ones that can destroy teams no matter what.

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Damian Lillard: 19.1 points, 6.1 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 3.2 turnovers

Obviously it's early in the season, but what's the chances GOATbrook is the best point guard in the league at the end of the year?

if he improved his efficiency and passing

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:26 AM
His FG% is not as important because he gets to the line and makes up for it. His points per possession are efficient. He is still the best scorer and defender at his position. CP3 likes to protect his percentages and defers to role players, see how Westbrook shitted on him this season?

Russ has been averaging 22/9 in his last 10 and has helped OKC to 8-2 record in that stretch. Other PGs are too easy to shut down and control by just putting a bigger defender on them or Westbrook himself. Rose and Russ are the only ones that can destroy teams no matter what.

Pretty much. Even when he's not having a good shooting night he'll make sure he gets to the line and gets his points there. He's a super versatile scorer, good - great defender, assists are up this year and he's making great passes. Great rebounded for his position.

if he improved his efficiency and passing

3rd in assists (total), 5th APG not good enough for you? ****ing idiot.

tikay0
12-01-2012, 01:28 AM

Jrue holiday having a nice season. Haven't watched a single sixers game this year.

Graviton
12-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Can't wait to see him battle Rose in Jan-Feb.

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Pretty much. Even when he's not having a good shooting night he'll make sure he gets to the line and gets his points there. He's a super versatile scorer, good - great defender, assists are up this year and he's making great passes. Great rebounded for his position.

3rd in assists (total), 5th APG not good enough for you? ****ing idiot.

:cry: don't cry baby

tikay0
12-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Can't wait to see him battle Rose in Jan-Feb.

Going to be a sad day for rose fans such as myself. The real indicator will be next year.

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
:cry: don't cry baby

Haha ethered kid :lol

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Westbrook is tearin it up!! I dunno about #1 but he's the real thing that's for sure. Doesn't hurt that he's got a pretty fair scoring machine on his team to stretch the court

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Haha ethered kid :lol

Plus he makes too many bad decisions, he more of a SG.

longhornfan1234
12-01-2012, 01:34 AM
He will be the second best PG. CP3 is going to hold the number 1 spot.

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Plus he makes too many bad decisions, he more of a SG.

http://i.imgur.com/UZdxe.png

Graviton
12-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Going to be a sad day for rose fans such as myself. The real indicator will be next year.
GSP coming back strong from ACL injury gives me hope. Rose will come back at 100%.

Dbrog
12-01-2012, 01:39 AM
If Jrue can get his TOs down, he's gonna have a sick season. Anyway, idk who will end up as number 1 but I do know that this is truly the PG era in the NBA (more than ever before). It's insane how many talented ones there are. Like, literally half the teams have an allstar lvl PG.

tikay0
12-01-2012, 01:40 AM
GSP coming back strong from ACL injury gives me hope. Rose will come back at 100%.

Eventually, but you can't use another athlete in a different sport as an example. Especially fighting. I don't think we see 100% rose til next year, around the all star break. They say it usually takes a player, a year and a half to be themselves again.

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UZdxe.png

You forget to take your Antipsychotic Medication..

Dbrog
12-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Remember, this list isn't even including Steph Curry and Jennings or a healthy Rubio, Wall, and Rose. Also, Calderon was putting up crazy #s when given time.

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Remember, this list isn't even including Steph Curry and Jennings or a healthy Rubio, Wall, and Rose. Also, Calderon was putting up crazy #s when given time.
Lol. You're kidding right.. I nearly included Curry but I looked at his stats (which weren't amazing). Rubio, Wall, Jennings and Calderon will never be as good as 80% of that list.

You forget to take your Antipsychotic Medication..

Pal you need to calm down :sleeping

gabepizza
12-01-2012, 01:57 AM
1. Paul
2. Rondo
distant 3. Westbrook

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Lol. You're kidding right.. I nearly included Curry but I looked at his stats (which weren't amazing). Rubio, Wall, Jennings and Calderon will never be as good as 80% of that list.

Stop being oxymoronic.
:eek:

Sharmer
12-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Westbrook would be my number 2 spot.

brandonislegend
12-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Once Irving gets some players on his team, he will be up there.

Rekindled
12-01-2012, 02:01 AM
btw Jrue Holiday is averaging 19 and 10 right now

maybeshewill13
12-01-2012, 02:02 AM
1. Paul
2. Rondo
distant 3. Westbrook

Explain? Or are you just trolling too? :sleeping

PyrrhusX
12-01-2012, 02:06 AM
And the best thing about Russ? He has never missed a game.
I expect him to finish the season strong after the all star break when teams get serious.

Heavincent
12-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Possibly.

Dbrog
12-01-2012, 02:13 AM

:(

bluechox2
12-01-2012, 02:20 AM
#3 at best

Rubio2Gasol
12-01-2012, 02:23 AM
It takes so much to stop him from getting to the rim that you're almost guaranteed a wide open jumper one the help comes. I want to say he's the best player on his own team , but he isn't.

It's getting closer though.

He was different tonight, that fcking double steal :eek: :biggums:

I personally have Rondo ahead of him for basketball reasons lol

joeyjoejoe
12-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Fg% is important dwill shooting under 40% is crap, anyway i think he might be #2 behind cp

Whoah10115
12-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Credit to the way he's playing.

fpliii
12-01-2012, 03:07 AM
He's playing better than Rose ever did, though neither has unseated CP3 yet. Rondo and Westbrook both have a shot, but it's still Paul *big gap* then everyone else.

Whoah10115
12-01-2012, 03:21 AM

Ricky Rubio has got as much as anybody.

Graviton
12-01-2012, 03:24 AM
He's playing better than Rose ever did, though neither has unseated CP3 yet. Rondo and Westbrook both have a shot, but it's still Paul *big gap* then everyone else.
You are living in the past man, Paul is too easy to shut down. His defense is also vastly overrated. Just watch the OKC game and see Paul getting shut down by Westbrook in the 4th/overtime while also not being able to stop Russ.

This ain't 2008, no one is scared of a midget jumpshootin PG that puts no pressure on defenses and just keeps deferring to role players. If anything it's Rose/Westbrook *BIG GAP* then CP3 and the rest.

Don't see how CP3 is that ahead of Westbrook when he is the inferior defender, scorer and athlete. His playmaking isn't even ahead of WB that much to warrant the #1 spot for just that reason.

andremiller07
12-01-2012, 03:25 AM
I think a lot of people are underrating how good Mike Conely has been, to me hes the best and most consistant PG I seen this year, his numbers might not be as great as the other guys but they don't need to be. His impact and improvement is a massive reason why the Grizz are so damn good. Westbrooke is def top 5 atm tho hes been playing well.

fpliii
12-01-2012, 03:30 AM
You are living in the past man, Paul is too easy to shut down. His defense is also vastly overrated. Just watch the OKC game and see Paul getting shut down by Westbrook in the 4th/overtime while also not being able to stop Russ.

This ain't 2008, no one is scared of a midget jumpshootin PG that puts no pressure on defenses and just keeps deferring to role players. If anything it's Rose/Westbrook *BIG GAP* then CP3 and the rest.

Don't see how CP3 is that ahead of Westbrook when he is the inferior defender, scorer and athlete. His playmaking isn't even ahead of WB that much to warrant the #1 spot for just that reason.

Defense means absolutely nothing for me at the PG unless your man is capable of defending other perimeter players (which Russ is). I think you're severely underrating CP3's playmaking, but Russ can jump ahead with everything else (never saw anything from Rose to lead me to believe the same, as I said I think current Russ > MVP DRose by a decent margin). I think realistically WB and Kyrie are capable of surpassing Paul, but not seeing it with Rose (and Rondo is a separate issue entirely). I have Westbrook as a top 10 player atm (along with CP and a healthy Rose)

fpliii
12-01-2012, 03:33 AM
btw Westbrook is one of my favorite players in the league so I'm not hating...he reminds me of a younger Wade with better athleticism and man defense (weaker help defense, less efficient, and not as good a rebounder though)

RRR3
12-01-2012, 03:33 AM
One game sample sizes mean nothing, Graviton. Or would you like me to bring up the time CP3 shat all over Westbrook's soul and put up 31 on 55% shooting while WB shot 3-14? This happened just last year btw.

pauk
12-01-2012, 03:40 AM
I think he cant be undebatably entitled that, but he sure can be considered... why not?

Graviton
12-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Defense means absolutely nothing for me at the PG, Russ > MVP DRose by a decent margin). I think realistically but not seeing it with Rose.
Yea this isn't the 60s lol. If your PG can't contain the elite PG of today, your team will be torn apart.

You obviously haven't watched lot of Rose, he is essentially a smarter version of Westbrook. He is even a better scorer, with his floaters, lay ups and body control. As a playmaker him and Westbrook operate similarly by breaking down defenses. Rose led the league in hockey assists last year and due to his penetration and drawing 3-4 people Bulls get easier offensive rebs.

I have no idea why you think Russ>MVP Rose, especially when Rose is the only threat on the Bulls and gets double teamed at halfcourt a lot. Him and Russ are equal in most areas, Rose is just more patient and has more moves, while WB has better jumper but worse shot selection. Could you present some objective data to support your claim or is that just an opinion?

Graviton
12-01-2012, 03:48 AM
One game sample sizes mean nothing, Graviton. Or would you like me to bring up the time CP3 shat all over Westbrook's soul and put up 31 on 55% shooting while WB shot 3-14? This happened just last year btw.
Lol, last year indeed. I like going by latest results as long as injury is not involved.

Just wait for the next game or playoffs when Westbrook takes CP3's soul for good. The new flopping rules just hit Paul's game too hard. Time to stop worshipping his 08 version and accept your new lord and saviour, GOATbrook.

fpliii
12-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Yea this isn't the 60s lol. If your PG can't contain the elite PG of today, your team will be torn apart.

You obviously haven't watched lot of Rose, he is essentially a smarter version of Westbrook. He is even a better scorer, with his floaters, lay ups and body control. As a playmaker him and Westbrook operate similarly by breaking down defenses. Rose led the league in hockey assists last year and due to his penetration and drawing 3-4 people Bulls get easier offensive rebs.

I have no idea why you think Russ>MVP Rose, especially when Rose is the only threat on the Bulls and gets double teamed at halfcourt a lot. Him and Russ are equal in most areas, Rose is just more patient and has more moves, while WB has better jumper but worse shot selection. Could you present some objective data to support your claim or is that just an opinion?

I've watched a good deal of Rose (had the Bulls on league pass the last couple of seasons), just not a fan of his playstyle. TBH I'm probably not giving him a fair shake lol, all of the Bulls fans on the forum that I frequented before ISH (ESPN NBA General) are insufferable so I might be trolling a bit.

EDIT: and no I won't present data to support my claim...as a mathematician/statistician by education/training (and from reading boards like this enough), I know how easy it is to manipulate data to support any hypothesis

I should probably stay away from threads/posts about the Bulls/Rose if I have no intention of engaging a legitimate discussion I suppose

Callystarr
12-01-2012, 03:56 AM

I find Rondo's statline to be more impressive.

He averages 4 more assists a game, and has the same amount of turnovers.
Rondo also takes better shots, smarter...which is why his FG% is higher.

Not to mention OKC is the better offensive team, so imagine if Rondo played on OKC...he would probably break John Stocktons assist record.

Graviton
12-01-2012, 04:11 AM
I've watched a good deal of Rose (had the Bulls on league pass the last couple of seasons), just not a fan of his playstyle. TBH I'm probably not giving him a fair shake lol, all of the Bulls fans on the forum that I frequented before ISH (ESPN NBA General) are insufferable so I might be trolling a bit.

I should probably stay away from threads/posts about the Bulls/Rose if I have no intention of engaging a legitimate discussion I suppose
It's alright, some Bulls fanboys annoy me as well. Just be objective man.

You should know that Rose often outplays basically every other elite PG, the numbers and numerous videos show it. Last year when his body was breaking down I remember him still outplaying CP3, Parker, Rondo, DWill and some others. His impact on opposing defenses is really unmatched by any PG. If you watch Bulls without Rose, it's just sad how they get owned by PGs who get to relax and go ham. Rose just does all the little things that go unnoticed.

All Net
12-01-2012, 04:17 AM
He's already a better PLAYER now than those..just a better pure PG is questionable but he has ran the team well.

fpliii
12-01-2012, 04:30 AM
It's alright, some Bulls fanboys annoy me as well. Just be objective man.

You should know that Rose often outplays basically every other elite PG, the numbers and numerous videos show it. Last year when his body was breaking down I remember him still outplaying CP3, Parker, Rondo, DWill and some others. His impact on opposing defenses is really unmatched by any PG. If you watch Bulls without Rose, it's just sad how they get owned by PGs who get to relax and go ham. Rose just does all the little things that go unnoticed.

I'll try to be more objective...I don't care much about marquee matchups, but for whatever reason Rose has an enormous presence/impact we haven't seen at that position at a while. I don't know where I place a healthy Rose (I think Paul and Westbrook are better than MVP Rose, but that's not fair since last year and the current season should be key to DRose's player development). Hopefully he comes back better than ever.

EDIT: BTW what are your thoughts on Rondo/Kyrie/DWill?

Graviton
12-01-2012, 04:44 AM
I'll try to be more objective...I don't care much about marquee matchups, but for whatever reason Rose has an enormous presence/impact we haven't seen at that position at a while. I don't know where I place a healthy Rose (I think Paul and Westbrook are better than MVP Rose, but that's not fair since last year and the current season should be key to DRose's player development). Hopefully he comes back better than ever.

It's because...

Rose's post moves draw like 3-4 people, so defense is broken down and O rebounding is easy. His offense+defense shuts down the opposing PG, basically screwing up other team's flow. Even when Rose misses, they are not hard bricks so Noah/Booz get easy tip ins, Kobe has similar bricks. Rose is also built like a pitbull and has crazy strength, ever notice how he usually lands on his feet after getting hit while the other guy he hits falls or gets pushed? His pressure on defenses is magnified by Bulls D.

Graviton
12-01-2012, 04:55 AM
BTW what are your thoughts on Rondo/Kyrie/DWill?

Rondo I shit on a lot, because he is Rose's rival. But he is great, his playmaking is unmatched and he can score if needed. Last playoffs he was amazing. Doc just needs to tweak that terrible team offense that underutilizes Rondo. Less overdribling, more team ball movement and Rondo being aggressive.

Kyrie is sweeeeeet. Like young CP3 and Rose mix, crafty and smart and best shooter at PG soon. Just needs better teammates and less turnovers. Will be best PG in 3-4 years.

Dwill is garbage now, shoots shitty, plays no defense and gets raped by other PGs, playmaking is still elite though. Gotta give him props for at least taking the shots and not trying to protect his %s like CP3. He is what CP3 would be if he stopped being so passive.

CP3 needs to stop treating 3pt shooters as #1 option and actually feed Griffin more, he keeps ignoring him while chilling at 3pt line looking for assists.

jdm_dc_fan
12-01-2012, 05:56 AM
It's obvious that Rondo has been the best point guard this season so far. He had a stretch of 3 games were he had a 32 assist to 3 turnover ratio. But this was also ended after choking kris humphries.

The only thing that impressed me about russel's game today was his rebounding. 8 assist with 8 turnovers, no thank you. Doesn't even make risky or flashy passes and manages to cancel out his assist.

Oh and I have yet to see Rondo get shut down when it matters.

Rubio2Gasol
12-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Rondo has not been the best so far, but in the playoffs I have little doubt he'll be the best once he's on the court.

Notorious D.M.C
12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
definitely not.

Celtic_Pride
12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
You can't teach IQ, so Westbrook will never be the best point guard

I also think Westbrook's stats are inflated by his superior play against weaker opponents in the regular season. Is there any advanced stat to find averages against +.500 teams?

And

In the playoffs I have little doubt Rondo will be the best once he's on the court.

This!

Phenith
12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Marbury 2.0... really good PG, but most people would pick someone else over him to play PG on their team.

imdaman99
12-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I find Rondo's statline to be more impressive.

He averages 4 more assists a game, and has the same amount of turnovers.
Rondo also takes better shots, smarter...which is why his FG% is higher.

Not to mention OKC is the better offensive team, so imagine if Rondo played on OKC...he would probably break John Stocktons assist record.
rondo's are impressive, but ever wondered why boston is usually amongst the lowest in scoring? its not because of talent. its because rondo assist whores. basically, he only allows himself to get the assist. instead of swinging the ball around and getting hockey assists, he wants to be the ONE to get the assist. ball movement does wonders.

imdaman99
12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
lol at the celtics blowing out an inferior team without rondo last night. lol at them scoring 96 pts. lol at lillard who has been lighting it up against everyone having a horrible game without rondo on the floor. lol at how important rondo is to the celtics. lol at having 20 assists and losing. but great at not padding your assist total to 20 against the raptors. lol at getting frustrated and picking a fight against mr kardashian because you're getting your ass kicked. just lol in general

and yes, i really was laughin out loud while i wrote this :oldlol: same old celtic fan will neg me, whats new :lol

Whoah10115
12-01-2012, 05:35 PM
rondo's are impressive, but ever wondered why boston is usually amongst the lowest in scoring? its not because of talent. its because rondo assist whores. basically, he only allows himself to get the assist. instead of swinging the ball around and getting hockey assists, he wants to be the ONE to get the assist. ball movement does wonders.

You realize the Celtics lead the league in assists, right? Teams that lead the league in assists have nothing to do assist-whoring.

Blame the coach for the offense where no one cuts or runs or spaces and where Pierce doesn't get enough opportunities to dominate the ball. Don't blame the guy who's playing like a beast.

Whoah10115
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
btw Westbrook is one of my favorite players in the league so I'm not hating...he reminds me of a younger Wade with better athleticism and man defense (weaker help defense, less efficient, and not as good a rebounder though)

I've been saying this...but Westbrook is definitely not as good of on-ball defender as Wade. Wade's only weakness, defensively, is that he overhelps or falls asleep and leaves his man open. Also, Westbrook is as good a rebounder, probably better...don't know about more athletic tho.