PDA

View Full Version : Team Durant v. Team Oden

hotsizzle
02-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Yea I know, as if there wasn't enough threads already. Heading into the ncaa tourney, theres a lot of hype on who is the better player and who should get taken first in the draft and all that...Durant has really closed the wide gap that was initially there. Anyways, I was thinking we see how ISH stacks up in taking sides...and maybe get back to it in the future. So take your pick in terms of who will be better at the pro level...I'll keep this updated

Team Durant
- raiderfan19
- hotsizzle
- NewYorkUSCtrojan
- JMewls
- BigTicket
- BradMiller52
- fatboy
- JalenRawley
- fireMcfailPlease

Team Oden
- kumquat
- Wuxia
- Wang4three
- Senor Cedric
- Vandetta
- Shafir
- ilikemusiq
- sakf
- pleezebelieve
- mavs4zinghadi
- i seen hippos
- jailblazers

Undecided

- The Mamba

kumquat
02-01-2007, 06:10 AM
I'll say oden, cos sizzle is always wrong.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Team Durant (F Texas though)

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/KevinDurant/1143733475.jpg

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Durant is a better college player, but Oden will be a better Pro.

JMEWLS
02-01-2007, 06:25 AM
im definently with Durant.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:26 AM
It's going to be a treat to see how both guys pan out in the NBA.

Valliant13
02-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Jesus...Durant put up 37 points and 23 boards tonight.
That is insane.

Oden 9 points 6 rebounds.

I'm a big Oden fan, but a few more games like that and I will have to change my #1 pick.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Jesus...Durant put up 37 points and 23 boards tonight.
That is insane.

Oden 9 points 6 rebounds.

I'm a big Oden fan, but a few more games like that and I will have to change my #1 pick.

Yupe, that's how I feel. Everytime I watch Durant play, he's balling. I tell myself not to watch, cause I hate Texas. But I find myself watching cause of Durant. Durant has mad game to pay the bills, he's a franchise type of player. Durant's worthy of the #1 pick.

JMEWLS
02-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Yupe, that's how I feel. Everytime I watch Durant play, he's balling. I tell myself not to watch, cause I hate Texas. But I find myself watching cause of Durant. Durant has mad game to pay the bills, he's a franchise type of player. Durant's worthy of the #1 pick.
loL. i gave up oden for durant since the start of the draft, and he's just been amazing ever since. My first pick was just sealed after he's game today, he's just a beast!!:bowdown:

BigTicket
02-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Going to go with durant, Oden just doesn't seem to be improving in college to me, or have the skills to ever be a dominant lowpost scorer in the NBA.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:47 AM
loL. i gave up oden for durant since the start of the draft, and he's just been amazing ever since. My first pick was just sealed after he's game today, he's just a beast!!:bowdown:

I like Oden. But I don't buy his hyped. I don't get how all these guys are sucking his ck, when he's got 9pts 5-6rebs vs Purdue. I think Bynum will have a better career than Oden.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Going to go with durant, Oden just doesn't seem to be improving in college to me, or have the skills to ever be a dominant lowpost scorer in the NBA.

That's how I feel.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Durant had 37pts 23reb tonight vs a tough Texas Tech team. That's madness!!

Force
02-01-2007, 06:52 AM
I like Oden. But I don't buy his hyped. I don't get how all these guys are sucking his ck, when he's got 9pts 5-6rebs vs Purdue. I think Bynum will have a better career than Oden.

Bynum will have a better career than Oden? That is interesting. We will see. Part of me just wants to fall out of my chair in laughter though. Bynum looks like he has very good potential, but his instincts seems so soft. A guy with a 7'5" wingspan shouldn't be getting his shots blocks so much and he needs to learn he bump guys before he goes up. He's come along much better than we all expected this year though.

JMEWLS
02-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Seriously, i wouldnt be surprised either. Oden just has way too much hype, i know he's a great shot blocker and a great rebounder. But he's scoring game must improve, he hasnt really made any progress from highschool.

Also he's only really got a decent inside scoring game, if he's going to live up to his expectations he's gotta improve his shooting range.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Seriously, i wouldnt be surprised either. Oden just has way too much hype, i know he's a great shot blocker and a great rebounder. But he's scoring game must improve, he hasnt really made any progress from highschool.

Also he's only really got a decent inside scoring game, if he's going to live up to his expectations he's gotta improve his shooting range.

Oden will probably be like Emeka Okafur in the NBA. Good serviceable center. I am not saying Bynum will be a HOFer either, just saying I think Bynum will have a better career than Oden.

wang4three
02-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm with Oden.

And all of you guys pointing at this Purdue game..did you guys even watch? He held Carl Landry to 35% shooting. Landry's averaging 20/7 for the year. Purdue was also 12-0 at home prior to the game, the game was huge.

But forget that. Do you guys know what Oden was doing before the game? His bestfriend died in a car accident over the weekend. He spent the day at home with his friend's family and mourning at the funeral. While being there for them as well as dealing with his personal emotions, you can't fault the guy for not being totally focused last night. You gotta give him credit that he went home, but still decided to play against Purdue when a lot of people would sit out, and rightfully so. The kid's got heart, and I'm on his side.

I like Durant, but if I had the #1 pick, I would go with Oden.

Se
02-01-2007, 07:51 AM
I like Durant, but if I had the #1 pick, I would go with Oden.

I totally agree. Oden won't come out this year anyway. He's a smart guy and will want to refine his game completely.

The question isn't Durant or Oden, it will be Oden or Mayo.

ODen is a franchise big, you never pass on franchise big. Once he gets a little bit of range, gets totally healthy, and takes control of the team (it'll help once Lewis leaves) he will be the man.

People picking Durant = :banghead:

wang4three
02-01-2007, 07:53 AM

You don't even watch college ball so you have no idea what you're talking about. Oden was the co-Big 10 player of the week last week averaging 18/12.

BigTicket
02-01-2007, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=Se

BigTicket
02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
You don't even watch college ball so you have no idea what you're talking about. Oden was the co-Big 10 player of the week last week averaging 18/12.

How would you know what I watch and don't watch ? Besides Durant is averaging better than that for the enitre season.

hotsizzle
02-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I have no doubt that Oden will succeed in the league. My opinion is due more to seeing Durant's skillset and potential. He has all the tools to be an unstoppable offensive player in the game. His overall combination of size, skill, athleticism, quickness etc. intrigues

wang4three
02-01-2007, 07:59 AM
How would you know what I watch and don't watch ? Besides Durant is averaging better than that for the enitre season.

I don't care that you pick Durant over Oden, but the fact that you say he's not getting better is completely wrong. You either don't watch him or have some sort of active animosity towards him.

BigTicket
02-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't care that you pick Durant over Oden, but the fact that you say he's not getting better is completely wrong. You either don't watch him or have some sort of active animosity towards him.

Neither, I like Oden and think he will be an all-star center in the league for years, just not sure he's good enough offensively to carry a team.

imjustlikemusiq
02-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Yeah everyone keeps forgetting Oden is also a freshman... just because he looks 38 years old doesnt mean he cant also develop his game, Oden has plenty of developmental potential too, Durant might be the more skillful player over time, BUT, Oden will be more successful, because a team with a legit. post presence has a better shot at getting to a finals then a team with a combo foward

imjustlikemusiq
02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah everyone keeps forgetting Oden is also a freshman... just because he looks 38 years old doesnt mean he cant also develop his game, Oden has plenty of developmental potential too, Durant might be the more skillful player over time, BUT, Oden will be more successful, because a team with a legit. post presence has a better shot at getting to a finals then a team with a combo foward
Essentially what im saying is, youre picking position over player, you want the Center over the Forward anyday

wang4three
02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Neither, I like Oden and think he will be an all-star center in the league for years, just not sure he's good enough offensively to carry a team.

Yeah, cause he's 18 years old without full function of his dominant hand, it's predetermined that he will never have a good to great offensive game. Save the backpedaling for later.

BigTicket
02-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah, cause he's 18 years old without full function of his dominant hand, it's predetermined that he will never have a good to great offensive game. Save the backpedaling for later.

He's 19, and when have I backpeddled ? Just said I think Durant will be the better NBA player.

wang4three
02-01-2007, 08:07 AM
He's 19, and when have I backpeddled ? Just said I think Durant will be the better NBA player.
Like I said, I don't care that you pick Durant over Oden, but you're wrong if you think Oden's not improving in college. Dead wrong. And that's the last time I'm going to address it for you.

Se
02-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Wang you forgot to add that he said Bynum is going to have a better career. What a moron.

Bynum had zero impact as a rookie, if Oden came straight out of high school to the NBA he'd be in for allstar consideration. Head and shoulders above Roy for Rookie of the year. Imagine Oden on Toronto, just imagine..... no team could crowd him like the do in college because the Raps have some dependable outside shooters, and a hi-low of Bosh and Oden would be damn scary. + I'm sure the Raptor players don't have a pet-aversion to feeding the post. I hate watching Ohio St because of the damn perimeter guys. Cook, Conly Jr, Lewis and that scrub freshman on the bench, I forget his name but I hate him with a passion.

wang4three
02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Well I haven't watch as much Bynum as much as I've watched Greg, since I get a lot of Big Ten games out here in Illinois, so I won't go into that area. Bynum seems to developing just fine and may be a great player in his own right one day, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that Oden will be one, barring any chronic or nagging injuries.

People choosing Durant over Oden just seem to be obssessed with the numbers. Reminds me of when people chose Kevin Garnett over Duncan prior to Minnesota's slump of the last two seasons. I'm not saying Durant is not going to be a good player or is a stat whore, but I happen to think that Oden's play will be more condusive to an NBA team winning than Durant. Durant may turn into what Tracy McGrady should've been, but even with that I'm not sure if he'll have more success than Tracy. Whereas Oden if he turns into another David Robinson or Patrick Ewing or whoever, then you'll be on your way to championship contender.

Mind you, I don't dislike Durant. I love his game. Think he's a tremendous star and a great athlete. My pick for the college player of the year, All-American 1st team, and what not, but at times, that doesn't mean as much when picking the #1 pick ie. JJ Redick, Jameer Nelson, TJ Ford, etc.

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I hope you guys know that Oden is playing with a broken hand. The guy is shooting FTs with his off hand for god sake...

wang4three
02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
I hope you guys know that Oden is playing with a broken hand. The guy is shooting FTs with his off hand for god sake...
Not only that, he was 11-14 with his left against Michigan St. last Saturday.

saKf
02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
saKf = Team Oden.

fatboy11
02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I'll go with Durant. He's swayed me.

The Mamba
02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Umm, I'm in both camps. I like both player's potential.

fatlever
02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
PleezeBelieve wants rings, so I'm down with Team Oden.

The Mamba
02-01-2007, 02:00 PM
PleezeBelieve wants rings, so I'm down with Team Oden.
Then why are you a LeBron fan ... :roll: (j/k)

shafir
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I would love to say Mustafa Shakur, but he isnt a choice, so I take Oden. Ill say this like ive been saying all along, Durant will be Rashard Lewis at best!

fatlever
02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Then why are you a LeBron fan ... :roll: (j/k)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here's the real Joke of the Day

Q: When Kobe and T-Mac hear a fire alarm, what do they do?

A: Head to the 1st round exit. :oldlol:

The Mamba
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Joke of the Day

Q: When Kobe and T-Mac hear a fire alarm, what do they do?

A: Head to the 1st round exit. :oldlol:
That was actually pretty good. Except for the part about neglecting the 3 shiny rings on Kobe's finger. Oh, and forgot the part about LeBron's exit as well.

JalenRawley
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Yea I know, as if there wasn't enough threads already. Heading into the ncaa tourney, theres a lot of hype on who is the better player and who should get taken first in the draft and all that...Durant has really closed the wide gap that was initially there. Anyways, I was thinking we see how ISH stacks up in taking sides...and maybe get back to it in the future. So take your pick in terms of who will be better on the pro level...I'll keep this updated

Team Durant
- hotsizzle
- NewYorkUSCtrojan
- JMewls
- BigTicket

Team Oden
- kumquat
- Wuxia
- Wang4three
- Senor Cedric

Undecided

I haven't watched either one nearly enough to really judge very well, but what I have seen of Kevin Durant has impressed me more than what I've seen of Greg Oden. Count me in with the Durant crew.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
We are picking which player you should take with the first pick right?

Thats Greg Oden. Its a lock. Durant will never be taken #1 unless Oden stays in college. That is a fact. Bottomline.

JalenRawley
02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
That was actually pretty good. Except for the part about neglecting the 3 shiny rings on Kobe's finger. Oh, and forgot the part about LeBron's exit as well.

That was Kobe following Shaq through the crowd. Shaq creates quite a wake behind him, so it's easy to slip in and get through ;)

FireMcFailPlease
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
damn ive got durant as my avatar and been pimpin him on all of his games and i failed to make the squad?:D

BradMiller52
02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I say Durant will be the better player but I think Oden gets taken #1(not that I think he necessarily should be though). I think Durant should be the #1 and I think he'll be better so put me on team Durant I guess.

The Mamba
02-01-2007, 04:31 PM
That was Kobe following Shaq through the crowd. Shaq creates quite a wake behind him, so it's easy to slip in and get through ;)
Naw, it was a duo. Never was it labeled Shaq and his crew of flunkies. Kobe played a major part in those 3 rings. And Kobe earned his 3 rings by being the facilitator, closer, and best permiter defender on the team. That's why he has the gold on his hands.

raiderfan19
02-01-2007, 04:34 PM
i think its fairly obvious from all the threads about this which team im on.

lets go team durant.

Younggrease
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Today Bynum at 19 is better than Oden at 18. Bynum would kill Oden and will do it the first time the Lakers play Oden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTpy9YB1QQ

These are post moves from Bynum... maybe Oden should try practicing a few(although they wont be as good because Bynum has one of the best touches around the basket in the league)

GOBB
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Today Bynum at 19 is better than Oden at 18. Bynum would kill Oden and will do it the first time the Lakers play Oden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTpy9YB1QQ

These are post moves from Bynum... maybe Oden should try practicing a few(although they wont be as good because Bynum has one of the best touches around the basket in the league)

You wouldnt say that about Bynum at 18 vs Oden now tho. Why?

Oden is a better rebounder/defender than Bynum. But that might have to be placed on reserved based on Bynum being in the NBA and Oden in college. Talent level in the NBA is obviously better. So I'll reserve that thought for now since Bynum is in the league.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I say Durant will be the better player but I think Oden gets taken #1(not that I think he necessarily should be though). I think Durant should be the #1 and I think he'll be better so put me on team Durant I guess.

That's the same feeling, I am getting. Oden will be the #1 pick. Things can happen though, like Dwight Howard going ahead of Emeka Okafur.

If Oden goes #1. It will be like the case of drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan. Just watch and see.................!

IlliniFan
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm on team Pruitt.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm on team Pruitt.

I hope you mean Gabe Pruitt from USC. He's going to be $ in the NBA.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
That's the same feeling, I am getting. Oden will be the #1 pick. Things can happen though, like Dwight Howard going ahead of Emeka Okafur.

If Oden goes #1. It will be like the case of drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan. Just watch and see.................!

Horrible comparison. Do you watch much college basketball? Doesnt seem so.

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM

I guess that means Oden = Sam Bowie and Durant = Michael Jordan.

Vendetta
02-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Hyped big vs hyped swingman...

Well, seeing as how I don't really know a damn thing about either one of them and 99%+ of the time elite bigs end up being better than elite swingmen, give me Oden.

How many swingmen in the history of the game have dominated and their teams won titles with them as the focal point? 1? 3?

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM

You're getting smart.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Horrible comparison. Do you watch much college basketball? Doesnt seem so.

Just watch and see GOBB. I live on the East coast, I get Big 10 games. Also, I've the ESPN package. I like Oden, don't get me wrong. But from what I've seen, Oden will just be servicable in the NBA, while Durant will be a Super Star. Take if for the grain of salt. I hate getting into a pissing match here, cause we don't know how either will turn out.

Vendetta
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
If Durant is going to be the Jordan to Oden's Bowie... how come he didn't receive the LBJ type praise while in HS? He just got that good that quickly? Heh.

hotsizzle
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
We are picking which player you should take with the first pick right?

Thats Greg Oden. Its a lock. Durant will never be taken #1 unless Oden stays in college. That is a fact. Bottomline.

no we're picking who will be better at the pro level

IlliniFan
02-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I hope you mean Gabe Pruitt from USC. He's going to be $ in the NBA.
No. I mean Shaun Pruitt. He's a beast.
<<<<<<

GOBB
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
No. I mean Shaun Pruitt. He's a beast.
<<<<<<

Yes the 11.5 and 7.5 as a junior is just scary.

FireMcFailPlease
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Durant Avg's more pts per half then oden does per game in conference play

i seen hippos
02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Oden.

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 07:21 PM

Maybe because he takes more shots?

GOBB
02-01-2007, 07:22 PM

He also avg 10 more shots than Oden as well.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 07:22 PM

For a guy who claims to be a Texas's Alum, you sure hate your own players. I am having doubts on you being a UT's grad.

FireMcFailPlease
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Maybe because hes an offensively skilled better player?

GOBB
02-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Maybe because hes an offensively skilled better player?

Its obvious he is a better offensive player due to his ability to score from everywhere on the floor. Whereas Oden is limited, restricted. So pointing to Durants offense vs a Center who depends to get his points downlow is silly. The world should know Durant is the best freshman in the nation and arguable the best player in college bball. But you cant take this and assume this will carry over into the pro's.

Marcus Camby last yr at Umass, he was better than Tim Duncan at Wake.. Tim Duncan ends up the better NBA player.

i seen hippos
02-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Marbury has more offensive skill than Shaq....so what's your point?

craigthomasb
02-01-2007, 07:52 PM
erm, isnt oden putting up his stats one handed???

honestly that player is amazing, 15/10/3 blocks... with one hand:pimp:

i think durant will have more fan appeal but they will be like the next KG and david robinson, both great players

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
The world should know Durant is the best freshman in the nation and arguable the best player in college bball. But you cant take this and assume this will carry over into the pro's.

I would rather go by present knowledge than future hope. Right now, Durant has the making of being a Super Star. That's all we need to know.

It's like drafting Sam Bowie over MJ. MJ had all the skills in the world, but GM's were banking that Sam Bowie skills and size will pan out in the NBA.

We don't know how these two will pan out in the NBA, but Durant seems to be on the right track.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
erm, isnt oden putting up his stats one handed???

honestly that player is amazing, 15/10/3 blocks... with one hand:pimp:

i think durant will have more fan appeal but they will be like the next KG and david robinson, both great players

Drob? Drob has range. More agile as well. Defensively? Rebounding wise? Ok, but offensively? Remains to be seen. I dont think or i dont remember Oden showing much of a jumper since he has arrived in OSU.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I would rather go by present knowledge than future hope. Right now, Durant has the making of being a Super Star. That's all we need to know.

It's like drafting Sam Bowie over MJ. MJ had all the skills in the world, but GM's were banking that Sam Bowie skills and size will pan out in the NBA.

We don't know how these two will pan out in the NBA, but Durant seems to be on the right track.

Sam Bowie was a junior. Greg Oden is a freshman. WHY oh WHY cant you see that? Why cant you see Bowie best years in college arent that much better than Greg Odens freshman year that isnt even over? Why oh WHY cant you see that? You damn right GMs are banking on Oden to pan out because he is a freshman. Not Shaq, not Duncan, not Ewing, not Drob were anything to write home about. Shaq had a great freshman year but nothing comparable to when he was drafted as the #1 pick. Why you cant see that these Centers took atleast 3yrs in college is beyond me. They didnt pan out thier freshman years! Geeze, so why pretend Oden has too? He doesnt and he isnt Sam friggin Bowie. Whats with that damn comparison? That you think Oden will be a bust and Durant will be a top 10 player of all time? :confusedshrug:

Jailblazers7
02-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Oden.

I hope the Sixers snag him in the draft because he will destroy the East. Oden is already a force on D and will develop an offensive game over time and once he gets his right back.

craigthomasb
02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Drob? Drob has range. More agile as well. Defensively? Rebounding wise? Ok, but offensively? Remains to be seen. I dont think or i dont remember Oden showing much of a jumper since he has arrived in OSU.

fair enough, but if your shooting hands got a cast on it, its hard to take jumpshots with your left hand, he isnt in ohio to mess about, hes there to games

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Sam Bowie was a junior. Greg Oden is a freshman. WHY oh WHY cant you see that? Why cant you see Bowie best years in college arent that much better than Greg Odens freshman year that isnt even over? Why oh WHY cant you see that? You damn right GMs are banking on Oden to pan out because he is a freshman. Not Shaq, not Duncan, not Ewing, not Drob were anything to write home about. Shaq had a great freshman year but nothing comparable to when he was drafted as the #1 pick. Why you cant see that these Centers took atleast 3yrs in college is beyond me. They didnt pan out thier freshman years! Geeze, so why pretend Oden has too? He doesnt and he isnt Sam friggin Bowie. Whats with that damn comparison? That you think Oden will be a bust and Durant will be a top 10 player of all time? :confusedshrug:

I understand that Bowie is a jr and Oden is a fr. But do you get the point I am tyring to make? GMs are banking that Oden will turn into a Super Star center, cause of his skills and size. Durant has all the makings to be a Super Star already.

I hope Oden becomes something great, I just don't see it. Everyone has their own opinion. I wish the best for Oden.

As for Top 10 of all time. I can see both players not even being mentioned for that.

mavsfan4zindagi
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Durant is a monster and should be a beast in the league next year too, but put me down for Oden. He's just too much to pass up on.

Younggrease
02-01-2007, 08:18 PM
fair enough, but if your shooting hands got a cast on it, its hard to take jumpshots with your left hand, he isnt in ohio to mess about, hes there to games

i think that Oden hurting his hand is helping his stock, because everything he isnt doing can be blamed on his hand. Oden has never had a jumpshot in high school before the injury why would he have one now??, he never had any post moves in high school why would he have them now??

FireMcFailPlease
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Marbury has more offensive skill than Shaq....so what's your point?
Starbury>Shaq:lol:

GOBB
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I understand that Bowie is a jr and Oden is a fr. But do you get the point I am tyring to make? GMs are banking that Oden will turn into a Super Star center, cause of his skills and size. Durant has all the makings to be a Super Star already.

I hope Oden becomes something great, I just don't see it. Everyone has their own opinion. I wish the best for Oden.

As for Top 10 of all time. I can see both players not even being mentioned for that.

Players like Durant we have seen more of. Oden? Not so...takes time for big men who are dependant on the low post to develop. I dont know that many Centers who entered college as freshman and had the tools right then and there. You gotta go baaaaaaaaack in the day to find that. Took Duncan 3yrs, took Melo 1 and Bron 0. Took Yao Ming years. Developing a big man is different than a wing player like Durant is right now. Takes time for big men to develop thats all I'm saying so its unfair to say take Durant because he is showing the tools moreso than Oden. Durant is able to dominate the ball more, able to score when he wants cuz his range is all over the place...Oden depends on getting it downlow and well OSU is a 3pt shooting team. He's basically being Ervin Johnson to the Milw Bucks Cassell, Ray Allen and Big Dog.

Another big man you'll see developing is Bynum. Takes time. And going back to your point, fans are banking that Durant becomes a superstar in the NBA as a rookie. Everyone is banking on each...Durant looks great in college, he might not do what Melo did his first year in the game. But you're still gonna be waiting on him to become that player u think he will. Neither has panned out. It'll take them 3yrs to be "there" imo.

FireMcFailPlease
02-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Players like Durant we have seen more of. Oden? Not so...takes time for big men who are dependant on the low post to develop. I dont know that many Centers who entered college as freshman and had the tools right then and there. You gotta go baaaaaaaaack in the day to find that. Took Duncan 3yrs, took Melo 1 and Bron 0. Took Yao Ming years. Developing a big man is different than a wing player like Durant is right now. Takes time for big men to develop thats all I'm saying so its unfair to say take Durant because he is showing the tools moreso than Oden. Durant is able to dominate the ball more, able to score when he wants cuz his range is all over the place...Oden depends on getting it downlow and well OSU is a 3pt shooting team. He's basically being Ervin Johnson to the Milw Bucks Cassell, Ray Allen and Big Dog.

Another big man you'll see developing is Bynum. Takes time. And going back to your point, fans are banking that Durant becomes a superstar in the NBA as a rookie. Everyone is banking on each...Durant looks great in college, he might not do what Melo did his first year in the game. But you're still gonna be waiting on him to become that player u think he will. Neither has panned out. It'll take them 3yrs to be "there" imo.
True true.

Good points, now do you go more by what your team needs more?

IF youre the celtics do you take Oden cause your big men arent that good?

if youre memphis do you take durant cause your sf/sg's arent that good?

It'll all come down to what that team needs, neither player will be a hit or miss.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Very good points GOBB. I know having a Big Man is a dime a dozen now a days. That's why every NBA guru has Oden going #1. Maybe I am being a hat-er who knows, but I just don't see Super Star qualities in Oden as I see in Durant. I am not completely shutting out Oden as a failure, I hope he does become great. Personally, I would rather draft Durant over Oden. I want instant success rather than a long term effects. I think you can give Durant a decent pg, serviceable center, etc's, and his team will win you games. Maybe make the playoffs in 3 years. While you need 3-4 for Oden to develop into something. With the way things are run now, everyone wants to see an instant winner.

You have your opinion, which is great. I have mined. No one is right or wrong. We just all love the game, that's why we're here.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Very good points GOBB. I know having a Big Man is a dime a dozen now a days. That's why every NBA guru has Oden going #1. Maybe I am being a hat-er who knows, but I just don't see Super Star qualities in Oden as I see in Durant. I am not completely shutting out Oden as a failure, I hope he does become great. Personally, I would rather draft Durant over Oden. I want instant success rather than a long term effects. I think you can give Durant a decent pg, serviceable center, etc's, and his team will win you games. Maybe make the playoffs in 3 years. While you need 3-4 for Oden to develop into something. With the way things are run now, everyone wants to see an instant winner.

You have your opinion, which is great. I have mined. No one is right or wrong. We just all love the game, that's why we're here.

Thats fair with me. I definately dont have any bias or ties with Oden. I love Durant and have been hyping him up, making topics earlier in the year. Seems some posters here caught on. I like them both equally even tho I've been defending Oden it seems. But really there isnt much to crap on with Durant. You can talk about his handles not being great. His shot selection (seems to love that 3 ball too much when he can get a better shot considering his size/athletic ability) and his size. Kids a string bean. But he should be able to get stronger and add some muscle with no problem at the next level.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
True true.

Good points, now do you go more by what your team needs more?

IF youre the celtics do you take Oden cause your big men arent that good?

if youre memphis do you take durant cause your sf/sg's arent that good?

It'll all come down to what that team needs, neither player will be a hit or miss.

I cant see Memphis or Boston passing up Oden. In fact I cant see no team passing up Oden really. But the thing about that is while just about every team will take Oden, the consolation price, the runner up gets a gem. So its a win win situation. I mean really...who went #1 is good for a players bio down the road in case espn wants to do a special or something. Icing on the cake but it doesnt mean much imo. Bron, Melo, Wade. Who cares who went #1, 3 studs. I think we'll see 2 future studs at the next level.

And if the Sixers lose out on the Oden sweepstakes?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/zx1.jpg

Hello Mr. Durant. Welcome to Philly!! :rockon:

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Thats fair with me. I definately dont have any bias or ties with Oden. I love Durant and have been hyping him up, making topics earlier in the year. Seems some posters here caught on. I like them both equally even tho I've been defending Oden it seems. But really there isnt much to crap on with Durant. You can talk about his handles not being great. His shot selection (seems to love that 3 ball too much when he can get a better shot considering his size/athletic ability) and his size. Kids a string bean. But he should be able to get stronger and add some muscle with no problem at the next level.

I hope they both develop into Super Stars. Will be fun to see both their careers play out. Good stuff GOBB.

i seen hippos
02-01-2007, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Bosh dunk on Durant 4-5 times per year. Doesn't matter if it's Boston or Philly.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Bosh dunk on Durant 4-5 times per year. Doesn't matter if it's Boston or Philly.

Wouldnt mind Durant lighting the Raptors ass up for 35. Who is gonna guard him? Joey Graham? :lol: He'll get ate alive for thirty five.

i seen hippos
02-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Anthony Parker. No guard has scored more than 8 points this year when he's guarded him.

It won't matter though. He'll have to shoot threes all game cause Bosh/Bargs?Rasho will humiliate him in the paint.

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 09:09 PM
For a guy who claims to be a Texas's Alum, you sure hate your own players. I am having doubts on you being a UT's grad.

Just because I graduated from UT doesn't mean I wear blindfolds when judging players.

vangrady
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Durant. Just like his skills.
Would love to see both of them landing in the East though,that would make it balanced.

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I know for a fact that I have seen Durant just as much if not more than anyone on these boards. I have seen him live a couple of times when I visit my old roomates still residing in Austin.

This will come as a suprise but I think Lamarcus Aldridge will have a better NBA career than Durant. You guys can quote me on this.

GOBB
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I know for a fact that I have seen Durant just as much if not more than anyone on these boards. I have seen him live a couple of times when I visit my old roomates still residing in Austin.

This will come as a suprise but I think Lamarcus Aldridge will have a better NBA career than Durant. You guys can quote me on this.

:roll: GTFO

Wuxia
02-01-2007, 09:22 PM
:roll: GTFO

I'm dead serious...

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 10:11 PM

:roll:

Seriously, did Durant steal your girl or something? Why the hate? Durant is one of Texas best NBA prospect in a long time.

raiderfan19
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
im just a little pissed im at the bottom of the team durant list. I was saying this a good while ago.

i seen hippos
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I only can hope Aldridge has a better career.

That means 20 players from the 2006 draft will average at least 25 ppg for their careers.

Bargnani is gonna put up 35/12 if Lamarcus has a better career than Durant.:roll:

wang4three
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
"Oden = Bowie
Durant = MJ"

What the ****? I'm ok if you think Oden's is not good, but to compare Durant to MJ is doing him no good.

As for Shaun Pruitt, I look for him to be a good draft pick for next year. Book it.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 10:52 PM
"Oden = Bowie
Durant = MJ"

What the ****? I'm ok if you think Oden's is not good, but to compare Durant to MJ is doing him no good.

As for Shaun Pruitt, I look for him to be a good draft pick for next year. Book it.

No one is saying Durant is the next MJ. People are using Bowie and Jordan as draft order comparison.

As far as Pruitt, check out USC's Gabe Pruitt. He's a awesome! Also, Nick Young from USC is going to be great in the NBA. Nick is averaging 18pts, 8rebs, 3steals per game as a jr. I hope he's doesn't go pro, I want everyone to return for USC. With OJ Mayo and Davon Jefferson coming in, USC could make a title run next year.

wang4three
02-01-2007, 10:55 PM
It will be like the case of drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan.

If that's not comparing Durant to Jordan, I don't know what is.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 10:58 PM
If that's not comparing Durant to Jordan, I don't know what is.

Stop stirring up things. No one is saying Durant is the next MJ. It's just drafting order. Meaning Durant might turn into something great, while Oden will just be a servicable Center.

wang4three
02-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Stop stirring up things. No one is saying Durant is the next MJ. It's just drafting order. Meaning Durant will turn into something great, Oden will just be a servicable Center.
There are better examples yet you chose Bowie over MJ. You could have selected Darko over Melo, Olwokandi over Vince, Dirk, Pierce etc but you chose Bowie over Jordan. Why? Cause you seem to think Durant will have the same impact. Bowie over Jordan is considered one of the biggest mistakes in NBA history, to tag it to Oden and Durant is saying a huge thing.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
There are better examples yet you chose Bowie over MJ. You could have selected Darko over Melo, Olwokandi over Vince, Dirk, Pierce etc but you chose Bowie over Jordan. Why? Cause you seem to think Durant will have the same impact. Bowie over Jordan is considered one of the biggest mistakes in NBA history, to tag it to Oden and Durant is saying a huge thing.

For me personally, taking Oden over Durant is going to be one the biggest mistake in NBA history. So my comparison is fair. It's not only I, who made this comparison. If look around in this thread and others, many agree. Durant has Super Stardom written all over him, while I don't see that in Oden.

I have my opinion, you have yours. Who is right? No one knows...

Rebel INS
02-02-2007, 12:19 AM
For me personally, taking Oden over Durant is going to be one the biggest mistake in NBA history. So my comparison is fair. It's not only I, who made this comparison. If look around in this thread and others, many agree. Durant has Super Stardom written all over him, while I don't see that in Oden.

Either you hold an insanely high level for Durant or absurdley low level for oden. I feel more disgusted in what you think of Oden. The gap isn't that huge, its 1a and 1b.

I'd like oden assuming he is a bonafide defensive anchor against the offensive stud in durant.

DCL
02-02-2007, 12:29 AM
oden is still a question mark to me.

i have not bought his hype yet. but i have not sold it neither.

but i think some of you are talking out of your asses right now when you say that oden will be a guaranteed legend.

Rebel INS
02-02-2007, 12:32 AM
i would believe most people can agree that Oden will be a defensive presence in the NBA.

I don't remember any big man in college that was blocking shots so effortlessly in college against big time competition.

FireMcFailPlease
02-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Lamarcus bolted to early.

as did tucker

as did gibson.

wang4three
02-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Lamarcus bolted to early.

as did tucker

as did gibson.
Gibson did, but the other two wouldn't have done much better for this year's stacked draft. LaMarcus and Tucker had better chances at last year's relatively weak draft compared to this one.

FireMcFailPlease
02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Gibson did, but the other two wouldn't have done much better for this year's stacked draft. LaMarcus and Tucker had better chances at last year's relatively weak draft compared to this one.
Well, for tucker he'd of been a 2nd round pick no matter what year.

Lamarcus could've stayed 2 more years and developed more.

Gibson, nobody knows what he was thinkin, oh well. I like Augustin much more

wang4three
02-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Lamarcus could've stayed 2 more years and developed more.
He could've, but being the 2nd overall pick after sophomore year? Why stay for longer when you can't really get much higher than that?

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Either you hold an insanely high level for Durant or absurdley low level for oden. I feel more disgusted in what you think of Oden. The gap isn't that huge, its 1a and 1b.

I'd like oden assuming he is a bonafide defensive anchor against the offensive stud in durant.

1a and 1b? Are you kidding me? Oden had 9pts 6rebs vs (14-8 weak Purdude team), while Durant had 30something pts 23rebs vs (15-6 Texas Tech team). Yupe 1a vs 1b. :roll:

I can probably do better vs Purdue, than what Oden did. Okay, it's a stretch. But you get my point. Any avgerage scrub can get 9pt, 6reb vs Purdue.

FireMcFailPlease
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
He could've, but being the 2nd overall pick after sophomore year? Why stay for longer when you can't really get much higher than that?
im talkin from a selfish longhorn fan point of view:pimp:
Imagine Augustin, Abrams, Durant and Aldridge:eek:

wang4three
02-02-2007, 01:59 AM
1a and 1b? Are you kidding me? Oden had 9pts 6rebs vs (14-8 weak Purdude team), while Durant had 30something pts 23rebs vs (15-6 Texas Tech team). Yupe 1a vs 1b. :roll:

Purdue was 12-0 at home before OSU came in. They're a bipolar team, can't get it done on the road but are terrific and splendid at home. Carl Landry is one of the best bigs in the nation averaging 20/7 on 60% shooting, and Oden held him to 35%.

Like I said before. During the day Oden was at his best friend's funeral, who died in a car crash over the weekend, and he found out after the MSU game. You can't fault him for not being entirely focused and motivated during the game. Many people would have sat out that game. I know I probably would've, but he played and he made his presence known. Anyone watching the game knew that Oden controlled the game.

wang4three
02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
im talkin from a selfish longhorn fan point of view:pimp:
Imagine Augustin, Abrams, Durant and Aldridge:eek:

That's true. I"m a big Augustin fan. He's tough and reminds me of Karl Lowry. I hope he stays for next year cause he can really be something special.

I wonder though, would Durant be such a monster if Aldridge was there? He would have to defer a hell of a lot more than he's doing now.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Yah, yah, yah, stop making excues for Oden. 9pts and 6rebs vs a weak team is nothing to brag about. I am gald you're making excues.

FireMcFailPlease
02-02-2007, 02:10 AM
That's true. I"m a big Augustin fan. He's tough and reminds me of Karl Lowry. I hope he stays for next year cause he can really be something special.

I wonder though, would Durant be such a monster if Aldridge was there? He would have to defer a hell of a lot more than he's doing now.
i highly doubt augustin elects to go pro after this year.

wang4three
02-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Yah, yah, yah, stop making excues for Oden. 9pts and 6rebs vs a weak team is nothing to brag about. I am gald you're making excues.
You're really bull-headed aren't you? Purdue is a fine team. They're bipolar, but they have a lot of quality wins. They're not a great team, but they've done well. David Teague and Carl Landry are a formidable force and do not underestimate them. Tech has had great victories as well but they're not that much better than Purdue. They're rugged and tough, but it's not as if the difference is as big as you make it. You really just do anything to prop Durant. But it doesn't matter, you can go on with your Durant=MJ spiel.

If all you care about is stats then you'll never know who's better than who. Anyone who watches Oden knows that he controls the game and that OSU wouldn't have a #1 bid without him.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-02-2007, 02:22 AM
You're really bull-headed aren't you? Purdue is a fine team. They're bipolar, but they have a lot of quality wins. They're not a great team, but they've done well. David Teague and Carl Landry are a formidable force and do not underestimate them. Tech has had great victories as well but they're not that much better than Purdue. They're rugged and tough, but it's not as if the difference is as big as you make it. You really just do anything to prop Durant. But it doesn't matter, you can go on with your Durant=MJ spiel.

If all you care about is stats then you'll never know who's better than who. Anyone who watches Oden knows that he controls the game and that OSU wouldn't have a #1 bid without him.

You're sounding like a broken record. Do you realize what you're doing? The more you defend Purdue, saying they're a fine team. The worst Oden looks. If Oden got 9pts and 6reb vs a weak 14-8 Purdude team, he will be eaten alive in the NBA. I bet guys like Brian Cook (Big 10 Player of the Year) will eat him alive in the NBA. Just give it up already. Dang! Purdue is not a fine team. They're a joke!

2006-07 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
11/13 N Colorado W 90-58
11/17 W Carolina W 82-57
11/20 at #19 Ga Tech L 79-61
11/21 at Oklahoma W 74-71
11/22 DePaul W 81-73
11/29 Virginia W 61-59
12/02 Delaware St W 62-40
12/05 Loyola-Chi W 78-62
12/09 Missouri W 79-62
12/16 at #18 Butler L 68-65
12/19 Wagner W 95-56
12/22 Tx A&M Corp Chr W 79-61
12/28 at Indiana St L 89-70
12/30 SE Mo St W 102-65
01/03 at Minnesota L 65-59
01/06 Penn State W 64-60
01/10 at Indiana L 85-58
01/13 Michigan W 67-53
01/17 at #3 Wisconsin L 69-64
01/20 at Michigan L 71-55
01/27 Illinois W 64-47
01/31 #4 Ohio St L 78-60
02/03 at Penn State *12:05 PM
02/07 Mich St *8:00 PM
02/10 at #4 Ohio St *12:15 PM
02/14 #25 Indiana *7:00 PM
02/21 at Iowa *9:05 PM
02/24 at N'western *12:15 PM
02/27 Minnesota 7:00 PM
02/28 Minnesota 8:00 PM
03/03 N'western *2:17 PM

wang4three
02-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Do you know how to read? I already said that they're bipolar. Purdue cannot get it done on the road, but they've won every game at home till OSU. Get it? THEY'VE BEEN UNDEFEATED AT HOME. Every game you highlighted was ON THE ROAD.

Virginia, Oklahoma, Mizzou, Illinois are quality wins over top 50 teams, and Virigina was ranked at the time they played. So get over your ****ing ignorance and inability to read.

You pointed out his numbers when he didnt practice with the team cause he was at a FUNERAL during the day. A funeral for his bestfriend who was 19 years old. Get that. It's different when you're at a funeral for your grandmother and grandfather cause there is a subconcious expectation that they will one day die. But when it's a teenager, and a very good friend it hurts and hits at you differently. How can anyone ask him to put his mind purely on basketball when during the day he was battling his own grief and emotions. That's a ****ing ridiculous expectation to have for Oden.

He was averaging 18/12 with 3 or 4bpg over the last week as he was Big Ten player of the week? Did you look that? Or were you know where to be found? I think the latter.

But Durant is MJ to you, so it doesn't matter.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-02-2007, 02:35 AM
OU is 12-8
DePaul is 13-10
Virgina is 14-7
Mizzo 13-7
Illni 16-8

Yeah, okay... Give it up already. Those teams are not good!

I don't care that Purdue is 12-0 at home, they're not a good team. Oden getting 9pts and 6reb with them is a telling story. Oden will be eaten alive in the NBA!

Okay, fine going by your logic. Purdue is a good team at home. eh, puke. Which guy on the Purdue team is NBA bound? Maybe Carl Landry? Doesn't bold well for Oden if he only got 9pt and 6reb. You and I could agree, guys in the NBA are 10 times better than any Purdue's players.

wang4three
02-02-2007, 02:48 AM
If you think Virigina is a bad team, you clearly don't follow basketball. Their win against Duke tonight is clearly one of the best games all year.

Which guy on the Purdue team is NBA bound?

This is the worst logic to ever judge how good a college team is. Wisconsin, UCLA aren't exactly bubbling with NBA prospects but those are two teams vying for a #1 seed. Afflalo and Tucker will be fine NBA prospects, but the two of them are hardly the only forces on thier respective teams.

But to entertain you, I'm sure David Teague and Carl Landry will find their way to the NBA.

I don't care that Purdue is 12-0 at home, they're not a good team.

I didn't say they were good and going to the make the tourney but they're far from "weak".

. Oden getting 9pts and 6reb with them is bold. Oden will be eaten alive.

Oh shut the **** up. You say I'm sounding like a broken record? You act like that's his stats. Durant's has had bad games too. A week ago against Villanova comes to mind. Texas State too, but really, is one game a way to judge him? Greg Oden is averaging 16/10 (on 64% shooting) and 4 blocks for the year. All you do is bring up one game where he obviously was not focused for, but still controlled the game.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
02-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Listen, I am not going to get into a pissing match with you. You obviously like Oden, who scored 9pts and had 6reb playing with Purdue. You can your Oden any day buddy. I would rather have Durant who scored over 30pts and grabbed 23rebs. This thread is going no where, cause you're taking a guy with his potential talent, rather than a proven talent. Either guy is fine with me. I am not hating on Oden, I would just rather have Durant on my team. I am not going to drag this further.

wang4three
02-02-2007, 02:55 AM
How is Oden not proven? 16/10 with 4bpg. Yeah, real unproven.

You continue to marginalize Durant's ability by comparing him to MJ.

Younggrease
01-24-2009, 03:25 AM
I think team Durant is winning...Kevin Durant is turning into an all star level player while Oden still looks gangly moving around the court and has poor form on his post moves.

IGOTGAME
01-27-2014, 01:02 AM
I have no doubt that Oden will succeed in the league. My opinion is due more to seeing Durant's skillset and potential. He has all the tools to be an unstoppable offensive player in the game. His overall combination of size, skill, athleticism, quickness etc. intrigues
Spot on....

215Philly
01-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Durant had 37pts 23reb tonight vs a tough Texas Tech team. That's madness!!
:bowdown:

finchyyy
01-27-2014, 01:14 AM

We have a winner.

Spokelahoma
01-27-2014, 01:30 AM
it was almost weird scanning through this thread and reading actual basketball discussions and opinions going on instead of constant trolling back and forth. got a little tear in my eye

Joyner82reload
01-27-2014, 01:32 AM

I like how this post was a joke...but welp, looks like it is turning out to pretty much be true :applause:

avonbarksdale
01-27-2014, 01:37 AM
yeah there was no mention of lebron or kobe in 4 pages thats wild

Joyner82reload
01-27-2014, 01:38 AM

This guy :bowdown: