PDA

View Full Version : Nash, a career 90% FT shooter, offers D12 some pointers and ignores it

swi7ch
12-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Toward the end of shootaround Friday, Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash approached Dwight Howard and offered up a couple of tips on how to shoot free throws.

Though Howard is shooting just 46.9 percent from the foul line this season, while Nash is tied with Mark Price for the best free throw percentage in NBA history at 90.4 percent, the Lakers center said he's had enough of people giving him advice.

"Listen, he was just suggesting some things, but it's not something that we've already talked about or anybody else has suggested," Howard said. "My mind cannot get clouded with everybody telling me how to shoot a free throw. I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss."

Howard has missed a lot lately, as the Lakers have lost two recent games at least in part because of the opposition employing a "Hack-a-Howard" strategy by intentionally fouling the big man and sending him to the line. Howard was just 9-for-21 from the line in a 113-103 loss to the Orlando Magic and just 8-for-16 from the line in a 107-105 loss to the Houston Rockets.

Kobe Bryant said Howard's deficiency from the stripe can be blamed on how he was coached to play basketball from an early age.

"I think it all depends on how you're raised, how you're taught the game from when you were little," Bryant said. "I think that's why it's such a critical thing in how we develop our players growing up, whether it's AAU and all these other camps.

"I think they pretty much wanted (Howard) to play inside the paint his entire career, ever since he was 12 years old. They wanted him to dunk everything and finish everything at the rim. They didn't want him shooting it because he was bigger than everybody and as a consequence, they left out the shooting aspect of his game.

"If you contrast that with some of the European players growing up, they're taught at an early age how to play all aspects of the game -- from ball-handling to shooting. So I think it's really just about our system here in the States and how we teach kids how to perform."

Bryant did not believe that Howard's 58.4 career free throw percentage was a lost cause.

"I think it's just facing the issue and dealing with it and taking it on head first," Bryant said. "'This is something that I have to conquer. This is something that I have to master.' And I think he will."

Bryant cited former teammate Shaquille O'Neal as an example of how Howard can improve at the line if he makes it a priority.

"Shaq, he had a tough time at the free throw line, but he got to a place where the critical stretches of ballgames, he really knocked them down," Bryant said of O'Neal, who played a crucial role on four championship-winning teams in Los Angeles and Miami despite shooting just 52.7 percent from the free throw line for his career. "Maybe he was about 50 percent, but it seemed like in games where there were big ones, it seemed like he didn't miss them. He got to that place just by working. That really meant a lot to him and he took on that responsibility of having to make them."

Free throw shooting has plagued the Lakers, as they rank last in the league at 66.7 percent. The Oklahoma City Thunder, whom the Lakers play on Friday, rank first at 83.7 percent.

"I think it's taking the responsibility of when you're at the free throw line, 'I'm bearing the responsibility of my team over my shoulders at this moment,' and it's holding that significance when you step to the free throw line at the same time," Bryant said. "We've lost ballgames where we've missed 19, 20, 17 free throws and end up losing a game by five or six points. So, that's really shooting ourselves in the foot."

gigantes
12-07-2012, 08:58 PM
i can't think of many other sports where so many of the top players lag so much (to put it politely) on their fundamental technique. that, and are so resistant to learn / change.

probably not the majority, but the ones that stand out REALLY stand out. it's something that's always brought the NBA down in my eyes, even though it's still one of my favorites. but at times it feels like a circus full of clowns who think of themselves as dramatic actors.

maybeshewill13
12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
This guy pisses me off more and more every day :facepalm

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
:facepalm

Clippersfan86
12-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Dipshit acting like a dipshit. Not surprised.

IGotACoolStory
12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
In his defense, black basketball players are supposed to be better, no?

Screw the numbers.

maybeshewill13
12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Seriously this guy is the biggest ****ing idiot.

No no no I'm going to ignore the career 90% FT shooter.

"I gotzta stop lisnten to ppl and jus hv to go out der nd do mah own thang u here?!"

How's that working for you Dwight? ****ing clown :facepalm

stephanieg
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Basketball is the only sport where, at least in one aspect, a 7th grade girl in a wheelchair can dominate a 7 foot black guy.

maybeshewill13
12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Basketball is the only sport where, at least in one aspect, a 7th grade girl in a wheelchair can dominate a 7 foot black guy.

I'd guess 75% of people above 8th grade are smarter than Dwight.

bmulls
12-07-2012, 09:16 PM
He makes shooting FTs sound like such a difficult thing. Stick any kid in America in a gym for a few hours, teach him proper technique (I was taught BEEF) and he'll shoot better than 50%.

tmacattack33
12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Eh, all he said was that he doesn't want to just switch up his style mid-season to something that's he's never practiced before.

And he said that he has 100 people telling him how to shoot a free throw, and all of that just starts to get confusing and chaotic...so he's just going to stick with his routine he's had forever.

There's not much wrong with what he said.

maybeshewill13
12-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Eh, all he said was that he doesn't want to just switch up his style mid-season to something that's he's never practiced before.

And he said that he has 100 people telling him how to shoot a free throw, and all of that just starts to get confusing and chaotic...so he's just going to stick with his routine he's had forever.

So you're saying sticking with the routine he's had forever which has got him under 50% FT is right?

You're as retarded as Dwight.

Rubio2Gasol
12-07-2012, 09:24 PM

I'm not the biggest advocate of messing with your style....look at what it did to Shaq.

But he has never changed it and has gotten progressively worse.

I think it's time for a change.

tmacattack33
12-07-2012, 09:25 PM
So you're saying sticking with the routine he's had forever which has got him under 50% FT is right?

You're as retarded as Dwight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3818

Look under FT pct.

maybeshewill13
12-07-2012, 09:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3818

Look under FT pct.

I see the last 3 years..

Progressively getting worse. Yeah stick with your routine Dwight :oldlol:

tmacattack33
12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I see the last 3 years..

Progressively getting worse. Yeah stick with your routine Dwight :oldlol:

He was at 58 or above every year of his career so far besides last year. Last year was a shortened season, and one in which he played in 54 games.

I'd take the chances of him doing things like always and trying to regain 59% form, instead of going with a brand new form right now.

maybeshewill13
12-07-2012, 09:34 PM
He was at 58 or above every year of his career so far besides last year. Last year was a shortened season, and one in which he played in 54 games.

I'd take the chances of him doing things like always and trying to regain 59% form, instead of going with a brand new form right now.

Yeah gotta retain that awesome 59% shooting stroke :lol Not worth messing with that! :lol That number is irrelevant anyway, last year was 49 and this year so far is even worse..

tmacattack33
12-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah gotta retain that awesome 59% shooting stroke :lol Not worth messing with that! :lol That number is irrelevant anyway, last year was 49 and this year so far is even worse..

Okay, even still, Nash may be one of the best FT shooters of all time, but that doesn't mean he would know how to teach someone how to do it.

And Nash is 6'3. Dwight is 7 foot with huge hands. Very different. It's cool Nash was trying to help, but he's not a free throw shooting coach.

VegasLakerFan
12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
While the quotes by Dwight don't sound great considering his shooting, I think he is just trying to say that his FT problems are all mental, and if he tries to follow every piece of advice he will just clutter his head further when he tries to shoot them.

inclinerator
12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
didnt shaq made 70 percent of his fts in phoenix

Segatti
12-07-2012, 10:05 PM
didnt shaq made 70 percent of his fts in phoenix

Nop. Not even 60 percent.

gigantes
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
While the quotes by Dwight don't sound great considering his shooting, I think he is just trying to say that his FT problems are all mental, and if he tries to follow every piece of advice he will just clutter his head further when he tries to shoot them.
but that's what i was saying in my first post-- how many professionals are confused by something like that? it's a childlike response, not the response of someone who makes their living at basketball... "i'm confused by the 100 different pieces of advice so i want to stick with what i know."

dwight, if you were really a professional, there would be no confusion on your part. you would have heard of at least 99 of those pieces of advice before and would have already tried them out and figured out which were probably helpful and which weren't.

it's like the opposite of that sports professional who moves from one team to another that has a totally different playbook, but the player knows fundamental plays so well that he only needs a short while to get the naming system down before he's operating seamlessly. something like that, anyway...

asdf1990
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM

The difference is he is playing for the lakers and its showing how much of a ***** dwight is, he is so scared of the pressure you can see it on his face. I bet this goofball thought hollywood would be all fun and games. Can't wait to hear what kobe has to say if he keeps this up for 10-20 more games

Jameerthefear
12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
He honestly got worse when he switched to Mark Price. He should just go back to shooting his pre 2010 form. He made about 60% with that one.

ripthekik
12-07-2012, 10:17 PM
i want to slap him :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Micku
12-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Howard should practice the grandma FT shot. Rick Barry style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-T30WZKo8#t=00m26s

Somebody needs to bring that back. It would probably help his FTs.

Cermet
12-08-2012, 05:02 AM
ok that does it for me... D12 is dumb f1ck. Somebody should beat the shit out of him and say that if he keeps showing his stupid ego they will kill him

bdreason
12-08-2012, 05:07 AM
He could learn to shoot the ball underhand and be above 50% in a week.

ukballer
12-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Not speaking like an expert as I'm not and never will be, even close, but what about aiming for the backboard? :lol

Scoooter
12-08-2012, 05:29 AM
He needs a proper follow through. He short-arms it every time. You can't develop consistency without the proper follow throw. Once he figures that out he'll still have to deal with the mental issues first, but he needs to fix that mechanical problem first.

Pushxx
12-08-2012, 06:27 AM
The ship has sailed for Dwight Howard. He's done improving.

Luckily for the Lakers, that doesn't stop him from being one of the best basketball players in the world.

RoseCity07
12-08-2012, 07:31 AM
I bet Howard is probably a pretty decent free throw shooter in a gym by himself. I hear the guys that shoot in the mid 70's and 80's virtually never miss free throws in practice. It could be mental like how Howard said. He has decent form but his follow through looks robotic. He's too stiff.

I don't think Nash could help this guy at all. I'm a pretty good free throw shooter myself. I made 50 in a row a while back. I tried to teach my friend some pointers and he didn't do any better than the way he was shooter before. My friend is a pretty good shooter too. That free throw line can be totally mental.

swi7ch
12-08-2012, 09:27 AM

True but the problem is:

a) It doesn't look cool.
b) Nobody else in the world is doing it so he'll look like an idiot.
c) It doesn't look cool.

swe_suns
12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Okay, even still, Nash may be one of the best FT shooters of all time, but that doesn't mean he would know how to teach someone how to do it.

And Nash is 6'3. Dwight is 7 foot with huge hands. Very different. It's cool Nash was trying to help, but he's not a free throw shooting coach.

Yes but if there is one player he should listen to it's probably nash (or someone with Dwight's size that is actually good at shooting freethrows).

HorryIsMyMVP
12-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I have seen Nash in the past improve his team mates free throw percents. He is definitely a free throw coach and a coach all around. Point guards are really on court coaches. It's a damn shame Dwight isn't open to coaching on areas where hes weak. Truly sad.

kNIOKAS
12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
LA BABy http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/502a70deecad048452000001-400-/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers.jpg

Nick Young
12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
What a f*cking dumbass piece of shit with no desire to improve. LISTEN TO A GOAT FREETHROW SHOOTER AND DO WHATEVER THE HELL HE SAYS.

Dwight bends his legs, waits to seconds, then just throws up a prayer with his arms. No point to bend your legs at all if you shoot like that. No power generated from his legs, its always random from his arms. It is really embarrassing to watch his freethrows.

DO WHAT NASH TELLS YOU YOU LAZY PIECE OF SHIT! He's 2 time MVP!

Dwight is a born loser

Nick Young
12-08-2012, 10:29 AM
"I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss."

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

You miss because your way is wrong!

Look at this piece of shit! He is blaming everyone else for him missing! He only misses when he gets caught up with what everyone says. It's not his fault he misses! It's everyone elses!

Dwight's thinking is completely off here.

If your way hasn't been working for your entire career, THEN TRY SOMEONE ELSE'S WAY.

People can't keep using the "he's young, he'll improve" excuse. He doesn't want to improve, or work on new technique, therefore he won't improve.

He has the mindset of a failure. He is not a laker. He is never going to be a great player. Let him walk.

Criticize Shaq all you want but he was right about D12.

Nick Young
12-08-2012, 10:35 AM
The difference is he is playing for the lakers and its showing how much of a ***** dwight is, he is so scared of the pressure you can see it on his face. I bet this goofball thought hollywood would be all fun and games. Can't wait to hear what kobe has to say if he keeps this up for 10-20 more games
You can tell Kobe really wants to call him out but is being really diplomatic in his old age because he knows the FO thinks Dwight is the future of the franchise. Also I think Kobe doesnt want more people saying he drives other stars out of town.

You can tell how much Dwights attitude pisses him off but he's holding it in. Can't hold it in forever.

Nash probably isn't impressed at his advice being brushed away instantly from some scrub D12, considering he's a 2x MVP and one of the best freethrow shooters ever.

Dwight is just a big immature baby. Let him walk.

Dagouch
12-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

It's official now.

Tmuston Beltics
12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
True but the problem is:

a) It doesn't look cool.
c) It doesn't look cool.

his current ft% makes him look like an idiot :(

necya
12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
child reaction :facepalm

wakencdukest
12-08-2012, 12:32 PM

It's not that easy. I've tried shooting underhand free throws at the gym, I could not get a consistent rotation.

wagexslave
12-08-2012, 12:39 PM
LA BABy http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/502a70deecad048452000001-400-/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers.jpg
Dwight is such a joke lol

Why is Davis called "Big Baby" and Howard not called "Biggest Baby"?

FKAri
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
i can't think of many other sports where so many of the top players lag so much (to put it politely) on their fundamental technique. that, and are so resistant to learn / change.

probably not the majority, but the ones that stand out REALLY stand out. it's something that's always brought the NBA down in my eyes, even though it's still one of my favorites. but at times it feels like a circus full of clowns who think of themselves as dramatic actors.

After just watching the latest Javale McGee goof, I couldn't agree with you more.

tomtucker
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
"My mind cannot get clouded with everybody telling me how to shoot a free throw. I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss."

:facepalm :banghead:

tomtucker
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Dwight is such a joke lol

Why is Davis called "Big Baby" and Howard not called "Biggest Baby"?
:oldlol: :lol

Kobe 4 The Win
12-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I didn't really know a lot about Dwight before he came to LA bu the more I learn about him the less I like. He talks a big game about wanting to be the best player in the league and wanting to be a champion like Kobe but he obviously doesn't want anyone coaching him or giving him advice.

Steve Nash is arguably the best free throw shooter of all time. He's a super positive guy that doesn't bash or unfairly criticize his teammates. If you aren't willing to listen to this guy then there is a problem. It's funny because Dwight doesn't seem to have a problem calling guys out for not rotating behind him on defense.

I'm no Steve Nash but even I can see that Dwight's form is awfull and he's lucky to make 50% shooting like that. Freethrow shooting is not rocket science. All Dwight needs to do is tweek a couple of little things with his mechanics and he could get to 65% or 70%. The dude is obviously very stubborn and he doesn't want anyone telling him anything.

What's exacerbating the problem is that the Laker organization is afraid he won't resign if they piss him off. They are being very carefull with what they say and how they handle him. This is why they better not trade Pau. He could end up being our center next year if we don't turn this thing around and contend this year.

Spaulding
12-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I didn't really know a lot about Dwight before he came to LA bu the more I learn about him the less I like. He talks a big game about wanting to be the best player in the league and wanting to be a champion like Kobe but he obviously doesn't want anyone coaching him or giving him advice.

Steve Nash is arguably the best free throw shooter of all time. He's a super positive guy that doesn't bash or unfairly criticize his teammates. If you aren't willing to listen to this guy then there is a problem. It's funny because Dwight doesn't seem to have a problem calling guys out for not rotating behind him on defense.

I'm no Steve Nash but even I can see that Dwight's form is awfull and he's lucky to make 50% shooting like that. Freethrow shooting is not rocket science. All Dwight needs to do is tweek a couple of little things with his mechanics and he could get to 65% or 70%. The dude is obviously very stubborn and he doesn't want anyone telling him anything.

What's exacerbating the problem is that the Laker organization is afraid he won't resign if they piss him off. They are being very carefull with what they say and how they handle him. This is why they better not trade Pau. He could end up being our center next year if we don't turn this thing around and contend this year.

You pretty much hit it on the head, especially with that last paragraph. Dwight being such a mind changer the Lakers are doing everything in their power to make Dwight comfortable. Because they want him to take over once Kobe retires. However, Dwight still wants to go to Brooklyn to start his own legacy and not be in Shaq's shadow.

BUT he has to play better regardless. Changing teams wont make him play better...it shouldnt...then again this is Baby D12 who I am sure would just play better at Brooklyn because he would get what he wanted.

M.Bustly15A5RU8
12-08-2012, 03:55 PM
A lot of big men struggle at the line. People need to accept that they have disadvantages in the way their bodies are built that makes it hard to shoot free throws accurately.

Locked_Up_Tonight
12-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Man, he is high maintenance. And high maintenance is okay to put up with if it leads to rings. But Dwight is slowly showing he isn't worth it.

Godzuki
12-08-2012, 04:11 PM
i support Howard in this. i don't think Nash or anyone is going to help him shoot FT's better more than practice and his touch. he's shot the ball enough at this point to be comfortable enough with his stroke, and from that point its just a matter of touch and concentration. to me one of the most overrated aspects people make a huge deal about is being textbook which is fine with someone who is young and still learning to do those things. but going backwards after coming so far and starting over is much harder and oftentimes overrated by the people who preach fundamentals.

especially with shooting tho, i think its more a matter of focus and touch, stroke be damned. look at Gallinari, dude has the perfect effortless stroke every time he shoots it and he is still constantly missing :facepalm

Clifton
12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Dwight is frustrated and embarrassed. He's acting immature here, but this is forgivable. It doesn't mean he won't come around.

Dwight is very "out there," doesn't really hold things back. If he lashed out at Nash, you can at least be sure that he isn't holding something back and there aren't deeper problems. That's good and important to keep in mind.

"I think they pretty much wanted (Howard) to play inside the paint his entire career, ever since he was 12 years old. They wanted him to dunk everything and finish everything at the rim. They didn't want him shooting it because he was bigger than everybody and as a consequence, they left out the shooting aspect of his game.
I remember hearing that he was known as a tad soft and jumpshot-prone as a high schooler. The line on him was "Kwame with a Bible." That's turned out to be the opposite of the case, as his hands are like bricks rather than soft and small. But yes, it is true that prospects in America are encouraged to develop a "play with your testicles, not your brain" sort of attitude.

swi7ch
12-08-2012, 04:42 PM
A lot of big men struggle at the line. People need to accept that they have disadvantages in the way their bodies are built that makes it hard to shoot free throws accurately.
A lot of European big men don't have problems at the FT line. Pretty much nullifies your argument. It's not that they have disadvantages anatomically, it's that big men in the US aren't trained properly to shoot FTs at an early age. Why? Read the article. Kobe explains why.

kentatm
12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
this jackass has only shot above 60% ONCE his entire career on FTs.

Somehow his rookie year he shot 67% and its been shit since.

His "thing" sucks and hasn't been worth a shit for 8 years now.

He needs to STFU, stop being a sensitive brat, f-ing practice the damn things, and take advice from people who are good at them.

I'd bet a kick to the nuts if he switched to granny style he would start hitting a 70% clip at minimum.

Boogey
12-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I've met a lot of ppl like that, they think it's just gonna change. And not listening to the best ft shooter ever tells me dh has way to much pride, and we all know where pride gets you.

che guevara
12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
He needs a proper follow through. He short-arms it every time. You can't develop consistency without the proper follow throw. Once he figures that out he'll still have to deal with the mental issues first, but he needs to fix that mechanical problem first.
I'll never understand why he doesn't watch himself shoot FTs on tape, and realize that his entire motion looks like garbage. It's just amazing that sometimes these guys can't figure out something as simple as FTs - I don't think I know any pickup players who shoot that badly.

True but the problem is:

a) It doesn't look cool.
c) It doesn't look cool.
I would argue his current form makes him look stupider, the way he bends up and down, only to pause off-balance on his tiptoes before firing up an arms-only brick just looks ridiculous to me. Add in his horribly broken follow through where he slowly extends his arm and hand long after the ball has been released, and you've got one of the silliest looking FT strokes ever.

Orlando Magic
12-08-2012, 05:50 PM
1) His mechanics are flawed. Most obviously, bends his knees, comes all the way back up, and then shoots the free throw instead of releasing while coming up, thus negating ever needing to bend the knees in the first place.

2) His biggest problem is between his ears. He thinks too much. He has regularly been reported to hit 80%+ in practice. If that's not a between the ears problem, I don't know what is. Even flawed mechanics are routinely makeable if you put in enough time, which he has. He needs to see a psychiatrist or just get up there and shoot the damn ball.

blinp
12-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Great.......have D12 find Duncan or Yao then.

inclinerator
12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
lol he has airballed fts a couple time this season

I<3NBA
12-08-2012, 11:56 PM
there's simply no excuse to be such a horrible free throw shooter. and for a professional basketball player, missing free throws is such a disgrace.