PDA

View Full Version : Amir Johnson fights ball away from ref, is ejected, throws mouthguard at ref

DStebb716
12-11-2012, 01:24 AM
http://deadspin.com/5967388/amir-johnson-fights-with-referee-over-dead-ball-gets-ejected-throws-his-mouth-guard-at-the-ref?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

DStebb716
12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Video is in the link

Qwyjibo
12-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Amir Johnson fights ball away from ref
The Raptors' biggest victory in weeks!

kaiteng
12-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Well, seeing how his team has gone, yeah I can understand that. Still.....

red1
12-11-2012, 01:32 AM
<3 amir

fsvr54
12-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Amir is a Man.

**** the refs

Beebo
12-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Should have been a jumpball

**** the refs

poido123
12-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Hmm, suspension seems imminent...

poido123
12-11-2012, 01:37 AM
The Raptors' biggest victory in weeks!

:lol:

Legends66NBA7
12-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Hmm, suspension seems imminent...

Yeah, shouldn't have thrown the mouth piece at the ref.

He should have been pissed about the ejection, but their going to fine and suspend him for doing that.

FireDavidKahn
12-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Wow Amir, you're tough :facepalm :rolleyes:

no pun intended
12-11-2012, 01:48 AM

**** the refs
:banana:

WesWelkerACL
12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
funny as hell.

poido123
12-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah, shouldn't have thrown the mouth piece at the ref.

He should have been pissed about the ejection, but their going to fine and suspend him for doing that.

No doubt. League will punish Amir hard I suspect. Referee's safety is paramount, and league has to protect it's image. I am guessing a 5+ game suspension.

novocaine
12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
ridiculous.

Beebo
12-11-2012, 02:03 AM
To be fair, this is really out of character for Amir.

Raptor fans know that Amir's one of the good guys. Playing on a shitty raptor team must be stressful for these players.

Sham
12-11-2012, 02:09 AM
That's the first time I've seen some passion and intensity from the Raptors all year.

PejaNowitzki
12-11-2012, 02:09 AM
He looked like he was trying to feel up the basketball, what the **** is this guy on? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

NattyPButter
12-11-2012, 02:11 AM
why didn't the ref let him get the ball? Usually the refs let the players rub and squeeze the ball and hand it back to the ref.

MiseryCityTexas
12-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Im glad he did this, because this was the best thing he did all year this season since he took that picture with justin bieber and that other famous dude.

d.bball.guy
12-11-2012, 02:53 AM

**** the refs
Ikr :facepalm Stupid refs, can't even get the right call on the most obvious moments

And when did Miguel sign with Toronto :lol

kentatm
12-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I have no idea why the ref made such a big deal out of Amir rubbing the ball during a dead ball.

Dirk usually bounces the ball a couple times on FTs he isn't shooting before he gives it to back to the refs and they have never bothered him about it.

Clutch
12-11-2012, 02:57 AM
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen happen in the NBA :roll:

Pushxx
12-11-2012, 03:03 AM
At least a 2-game suspension. At least...

Probably 3 games. That was straight retarded.

maybeshewill13
12-11-2012, 03:04 AM
What a dumbass nikka, teammates even needed to hold him back from the ref :facepalm

mans1ay3r
12-11-2012, 03:04 AM
I love how the ref ejects him then turns around looking at Amir like "Whatchu gonna do b!tch."

Should have gave him the ball but say we can't do this every time. Amir could have just let the ball go too but ref has authority here and should have took proper control of the situation. Not ejecting players because they wanted to touch the ball. :facepalm

EoJ
12-11-2012, 03:06 AM
I can confrim i was ball

O_City_Thunder
12-11-2012, 03:10 AM
why didn't the ref let him get the ball? Usually the refs let the players rub and squeeze the ball and hand it back to the ref.
This......Ibaka does it every single time with no problem. The ref must have been pissed that he had to officiate a Raptors game. :oldlol:

irondarts
12-11-2012, 03:11 AM
That's what we call "losing your shit"

lol at the ref turning around and tossing him out in an overly dramatic way :oldlol:

Chapallaz
12-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Maybe Amir saw a chance to get actual touches in the paint.

plowking
12-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Hope he gets suspended for a while.

When are players going to learn that the ref is the authority. Don't go snatching it out of his hands if hes said no. How stupid do you have to be?

brwnman
12-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Amir does this after every free throw. He touches the ball, feels it and gives it back to the ref. This is just the ref power tripping again. Amir will get 1 game for throwing the mouth-guard. Anything more than that would be stupid and excessive...

clayton
12-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Somewhere in someplace Rasheed Wallace...

Y2Gezee
12-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Ref was disrespecting him by not letting him get the ball. They always allow that. That ref basically said you aren't important enough to take the ball out of my hand. Had a bitchfit and then ejected him.

That would've never happened to Kobe, so it shouldn't have happened to Amir. Refs interjecting themselves like this hurts the league's image as much as Amir's actions. And that ref hurts himself because the league knows he was wrong as well, by even allowing that situation to happen. Whatever that ref's name is I guarantee you won't see him reffing in the finals

livingby3's
12-11-2012, 04:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Y0mVP8UKY

Legends66NBA7
12-11-2012, 04:22 AM

When are players going to learn that the ref is the authority. Don't go snatching it out of his hands if hes said no. How stupid do you have to be?

What do you define as "a while" ? 1 game suspension is enough. Anything over that is stupid.

Fudge
12-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Ref was disrespecting him by not letting him get the ball. They always allow that. That ref basically said you aren't important enough to take the ball out of my hand. Had a bitchfit and then ejected him.
This. Exactly this.

:facepalm @ people on the refs side in this situation.

Batz
12-11-2012, 04:49 AM
He looked like he was trying to feel up the basketball, what the **** is this guy on? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
Alot of forwards take the ball and just squeeze it after a freethrow. Off the top of my head I know guys like Duncan, Ibaka, Melo, Sheed, and really just about any forward in the NBA. Dwight literally fights for the rebound after the first freethrow to do it. It's a common ritual, officials know it. He was being a dick not letting Amir have the ball for a second especially when Amir did it earlier in the game.

plowking
12-11-2012, 04:55 AM
What do you define as "a while" ? 1 game suspension is enough. Anything over that is stupid.

Any other sport you snatch the ball out of a refs hands and completely disrespect him by throwing your mouth-guard at him, is a long suspension. Americans and American sport in general seem to have this nonchalant attitude when it comes to these things.
If you can't follow instructions, and rules put in place, and then try to physically assault the referee, a nice 10 game suspension should be put in place.

What was he trying to prove? Who does this help?

KOBEtherealKing
12-11-2012, 04:58 AM

That would've never happened to Kobe, so it shouldn't have happened to Amir. Refs interjecting themselves like this hurts the league's image as much as Amir's actions. And that ref hurts himself because the league knows he was wrong as well, by even allowing that situation to happen. Whatever that ref's name is I guarantee you won't see him reffing in the finals

Yeah Dwight does this all the time. And prays while doing it don't see why ref made a big deal about it

Pushxx
12-11-2012, 06:20 AM
This. Exactly this.

:facepalm @ people on the refs side in this situation.

Nobody is on the refs side.

It's just you have to be retarded not to just give up the ball.

So that makes what Amir did retarded.

dunksby
12-11-2012, 06:55 AM
What Amir did was stupid and disrespectful, 5+ suspension coming his way.

NLZ
12-11-2012, 07:05 AM
What the hell is the ref doing? The ball literally just goes through the hoop and he's already trying to give it back right away so he can shoot again.... right away? :lol

Refs all season been against the Raptors (they're still bad though), remember when the NBA apologized to the Raptors for blowing that late game call that would of won them the game? lol.

Burgz V2
12-11-2012, 07:12 AM
refs having been screwing with us all season. I highly doubt the ref didn't know that was one of his rituals. that ejection could have been avoided if the ref wasnt on a power trip

still, he should have just given it up. he'll get one or two games and a nice fine, anything more than that is just excessive seeing as he has no history of such actions

Burgz V2
12-11-2012, 07:14 AM

:facepalm

why would he get suspended for more than a game or two? this is just dumb, you get like 5 games for fighting, you expect him to get close to that for throwing a mouthguard? get real bro.

rodman91
12-11-2012, 07:25 AM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1138072_o.gif

Amir should try a sneaky head butt next time. Refs forget these are the guys people wanna watch. Their egos out of the charts in these days.

bluechox2
12-11-2012, 07:26 AM
what was the refs problem... every player tries to go get the feel of the ball after a free throw

tomtucker
12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Amir does this after every free throw. He touches the ball, feels it and gives it back to the ref. This is just the ref power tripping again. Amir will get 1 game for throwing the mouth-guard. Anything more than that would be stupid and excessive...

i hate nba refs........but "He touches the ball, feels it and gives it back to the ref"....that is just lame, stop doing that

Chapallaz
12-11-2012, 08:12 AM
what was the refs problem... every player tries to go get the feel of the ball after a free throw
Every player, right? We've got a league full of retards then.

mentallooser
12-11-2012, 08:14 AM
What a badass.

bigt
12-11-2012, 08:28 AM
What's the big deal with the whole feeling the ball situation anyway. What kind of guy needs a ritual to stand waiting for another guy to shoot a freaking free throw? It's a raptors game, let's get in an out of it as quick as possible :oldlol:

Stupid from Amir. If the ref's not giving that ball up there's no way Amir was walking away from that unpunished. Is an ejection harsh, yeah, but pretty idiotic all in all.

R.I.P.
12-11-2012, 08:41 AM
WTF is that dumbass Johnson doing. They should give him 50 games for being an idiot, and one for throwing his mouthpiece at the referee.:facepalm

R.I.P.
12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I have no idea why the ref made such a big deal out of Amir rubbing the ball during a dead ball.

Dirk usually bounces the ball a couple times on FTs he isn't shooting before he gives it to back to the refs and they have never bothered him about it.

I don

stephanieg
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udfYNQJaImw

ILLsmak
12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
http://deadspin.com/5967388/amir-johnson-fights-with-referee-over-dead-ball-gets-ejected-throws-his-mouth-guard-at-the-ref?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

is REJECTED* out of game

-Smak

B-Easy8
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe Amir saw a chance to get actual touches in the paint.

:roll: :roll:

Skywalker
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Amir ejected, Aaron Gray enters game for 8 minutes. GAME OVER.

Blue&Orange
12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Real life, you just don't take things from the hands of other people without asking. Needless to say you just don't try to take the ball from a ref, and even worse proceed to force your will.

Amir thought he was Kobe and the ref a white girl, understandable mistake.

Rake2204
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I think there's an order of operations here. Many ball players may feel and grab the ball when they can in between free throws, but they don't do it by just randomly grabbing it out of the official's hands. Moreover, if those players did try to steal it out of the official's hands and were refused, they wouldn't try to fight him for it.

I have seen a few posts wondering what the official was doing, grabbing the ball as it fell through the net, preparing for the following free throw. I say, he was doing his job. If a player can sneak in there and rub the ball, more power to them. And if the official grabs it and a player says, "Ey, let me get that rock for a minute" and the official complies, then again, more power to him. But if a ref's got the ball, he's not obligated to fulfill each player's fantasy about rubbing it before the second free throw, especially if that player decides he's willing to fight over it.

All that said, I remember Amir in Detroit and he really does seem like a relatively chilled out guy. I think this was just an awkward situation. Amir tried to make a power move and take the ball from the ref (wrongfully figuring it wouldn't be a big deal) then when he was refused, I think he probably felt he was already in too deep to give it up. Maybe there was some humiliation there (i.e. I'm going to look retarded for being shut down by a ref in a situation like this) which maybe led to him trying harder to get the rock. Then, before you know it, things get really weird and you're ejected.

DStebb716
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
This actually happened during a Knicks game against the 6ers I believe. I think Nick Young or someone asked for the ball and the ref held it away from him then gave it up for the next free throw. With the new rules about delay of game and stuff, it's probably just a part of that. Want to keep the game going without any unneeded delays.

There's literally NO reason for players to grab the ball after a free throw and play with it. As soon as the ref said no, Amir should've been done with it.

I'll say Amir gets 3-4 games. One game for fighting with the ref in the first place, then 2-3 for throwing his mouthguard at him.

DStebb716
12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
is REJECTED* out of game

-Smak

:wtf:

Bigsmoke
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
he learned that from me.

Parps
12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Stat padding...he was just trying to get a steal.

Burgz V2
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Stat padding...he was just trying to get a steal.

instead it was a jump ball LMAO :roll:

FireDavidKahn
12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
To be fair, this is really out of character for Amir.

Raptor fans know that Amir's one of the good guys. Playing on a shitty raptor team must be stressful for these players.
Maybe he should play better so the Raptors are better?

FKAri
12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Not only was this retarded by Amir but Im on the side of the refs. Theyve got to keep the game rolling. The ref has the right not to give you the ball since technically you shouldnt be touching it anyway.

The NBA laughingstock that is the Toronto Raptors continued a parade of clownfoolery tonight as frontcourt star Amir Johnson was ejected from tonight's game in Portland in the third quarter under bizarre circumstances.

That's my Raps. :applause:

Blue&Orange
12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Bryan Colangelo believes that talent isn't the problem for the Raptors' current struggles and is expecting more from Duane Casey.
Is this guy for real?

Borat
12-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Morons like y2gezee complaining. :facepalm
Same thing would have happened to Lebron, tossed.
If ref has the ball, you cant go and wrestle it out of his hands. :rolleyes:
then Amoron tries to go after ref?? throws mouth guard. And you defend this person?

Yet imbeciles post "should have let him wrestle it away". WTF????

Amir lost his mind, thats all there is to it. He could ahve asked for the ball if he wanted it.

5 games. You cant wrestle ball with a ref, then try to fight him :oldlol:

League needs to send a message. PLenty of other sports you CANNOT lay a finger on a ref. NBA players basically make gay love to them all games.

Once again :roll: at tards defending Amirs actions.

ILLsmak
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
:wtf:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8735802/amir-johnson-ref-tussle-ball-toronto-raptors-loss

"I guess the ref didn't let me have the ball so we kind of got into a tug of war," Johnson said. "No words were really said and he rejected me out of the game and I kind of lost my cool from there."

-Smak

bdreason
12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I was waiting for Kleiza to call for a jump ball. :oldlol:

Burgz V2
12-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Is this guy for real?

Colangelo's contract is expiring this year. He will fight for his job even if it means taking Casey down with him.

The problems are more than just talent. It's the ownership and management. They are not committed to winning, they are committed to selling tickets. This franchise has always maxed out as a first round exit and then goes into rebuild mode. Management gave BC a 2 year extension expecting him to fix the team in that time. In all fairness it was an impossible task, but throwing Casey under the bus is just disgusting, not the actions of a leader if you ask me.

devin112
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Raptors won't miss him anyways.