PDA

View Full Version : 3-Point Bank Shots

SourPatchKids
12-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Have you ever met or seen anybody who attempted 3's with the intent of putting it in off the glass? For me it seems the only spot on the arc where it would be reasonable to attempt this is both wing spots because the angle is suitable although not nearly as effective as it's midrange counterpart.

KungFuJoe
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Everytime I bank in a three...I meant it.

banks are open, baby!

Rake2204
12-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Everytime I bank in a three...I meant it.

banks are open, baby!Ha, so true. My first high school bucket was a banked triple from the top of the key. I was so jacked up on adrenaline, the game was going so fast, I just let that thing loose.

To be real though, I don't think I've ever known someone who was actively attempting to bank three pointers in a serious game.

Burgz V2
12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
pippen actually used to do it back in the day from the wings. other than that, i dont think it is something that anyone consciously tries to do

Partizan
12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
There was Dejan Bodiroga in Europe who used to always aim for 3pt bank shots, he wasn't a good 3pt shooter ( not elite) so he learned to shot it that way. :)

SourPatchKids
12-16-2012, 09:30 PM
There was Dejan Bodiroga in Europe who used to always aim for 3pt bank shots, he wasn't a good 3pt shooter ( not elite) so he learned to shot it that way. :)
Interesting, any good highlight tapes/mixes of him?

Partizan
12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Interesting, any good highlight tapes/mixes of him?
I feel stupid, because in all of his mixes on the net, there aren't many three point shots, and those that are there are hitting the bottom of the net :D
But, still his 3pt bank shots from behind the top of the key, are part of my childhood, I remember trying to replicate that everyday on the court.

Anyway, if you are interested here is a nice highlights mix of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WD2zwrpqE

And couple of nice moves againts Carmelo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEzmPKdqt4

He is probably the best player ever not to play in the NBA. Mad handles, great court vision, post moves, nicknamed white Magic (he was 6ft 9in pass first pg it was bound to happen :D)

Thorpesaurous
12-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I honestly did it all the time playing pick up as an adult.

Playing PG I got most of my looks from the top of the key, and I had really deep range, but I never liked the corners. I did it from the wings all the time though. I don't know why, but I was really good at it. Moreso from the right side. I was able to shoot it while moving more. Off the dribble. Or even fading or drifting a bit, because I could put more arm toss into it. Also, I could only do it on a real square backboard. The spot I'd have to hit was too close to being off the board on a traditional half moon board.

Scal
12-19-2012, 09:56 PM
I played against this team in my rec league a few months back - it was the first time this team had played in our division, so they were a new prospect for us - and they had a guy who hit 2 or 3 banked triples.

As when playing any team you haven't played before, you have to figure out who the shooters are and, who likes to drive, etc. After this guy banked the first, you'd think it was a fluke, after the second I think we started to pay a bit more a attention, and I'm pretty sure he made another after that.

They ended up beating us on the buzzer too, but everytime since we've run over them because we have effectively scouted them after that first game - they hit a lot of shots from outside in that first game, haven't shot anywhere near as well since. Not saying it was entirely our D, but it makes a huge difference when jump shooting teams are on.

SourPatchKids
12-20-2012, 01:28 AM
And couple of nice moves againts Carmelo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEzmPKdqt4

Goddamnnn so smooth I can see the magic comparision too

TheSilentKiller
12-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Most frustrating shot to have someone make against you :banghead:

Burgz V2
12-21-2012, 09:07 AM

this.

Thorpesaurous
12-21-2012, 10:58 AM

That's actually part of the reason I started shooting it.

There's nothing better than a guy talking shit after that first one. Usually complaining that I didn't call it. His buddies griping about how ugly it is from the sideline. Then hitting a second. And a third. And coming close enough on a fourth that the cackling doesn't stop, but it gets far more rediculous sounding.

bdreason
12-22-2012, 05:03 AM
I've never tried to bank a 3 pointer in. I do have a midrange shot from the baseline that's pretty deep and I use the backboard every time ala Timmy D.

mobbdeep
03-20-2013, 05:06 PM
I laughed hard when I saw this topic come up. I do this ALL THE TIME lol.

It's one of my signature shots. Yes, it's from the wing only of course. I'm left handed so I do it from the left wing but I make them from the right too but it is more awkward of course since I'm banking it from the right side.

Just like another poster said, guys will always think "lucky" and a fluke when they don't know me and I make it but then they realize it's skill after a while.

I have video footage of me working on them too. Let me find it

mobbdeep
03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
http://youtu.be/QTYr8ykRgAI

Ok here is the video of me working on them. The most I've made was 27 in a row and if I miss, it usually goes to the right side of the glass.

I can make it without banking them too and lately in games, I take a regular wing 3 without banking it just because I don't think of banking it in.

devin112
03-21-2013, 05:51 AM
I was going to make a thread about bank shots and how youngins never use it. I use it all the time, you don't have to worry about arc or rotation, just placement. I actually bank 3s on purpose from time to time but usually indoors off glass boards since it's more forgiving, unlike metal outdoor ones and with that distance it's hard dropping it in soft- even with good placement, given the distance the ball tends to bounce off hard and messes up ur bank. When I drive into the paint I also like to do a straight on bank too.

I love bank shots as you can tell. To work on it I play HORSE all banks.

Bandito
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't bank three point shots but I always practice banking from everywhere on mid range. I don't really shoot a lot of three point shots because I tend to be like get open on mid range and just shoot it or slash and try to get an easy lay up.

Element
04-07-2013, 05:23 AM
A friend of mine who's a right-handed shooter always banks in threes when he shoots them lefty-style. It just happens. Even he doesn't know how lol

Adam2k9
04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
I rarely do them purposely, but they often happen when I'm just shooting threes. :lol

beastmode
04-27-2013, 06:04 AM
takes a little more time to setup certain angles. sometimes different boards fkk up ur shot too

Scholar
04-27-2013, 12:49 PM
I try to bank all my shots because I'm a terrible shooter. I'm extremely streaky. I'll make like 4 shots in a row, then miss 10, then make 2, miss 5, etc. Whenever I play and I think I'm "feeling" it, I try to intentionally bank everything, except corner 3's.

sundizz
04-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Yep. I'm a knockdown shooter and for me it just seems to make sense to bank shots when you are the 45 angle. It is much easier to gauge distance when using the backboard (for me at least). My best shot is the top of the key. I'm a sniper from there. We usually play to 30 (1's and 2's). My ppg usually are about 2 bank threes, 2 from the top, 1 from the side, 2 driving bank shots to my left, and 1 layup (so I guess ~13 out of the 30). It helps a lot that we play with 2 pointers, and I'm usually by far the best shooter on the court.

ZorPlay
05-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Not a 3-pointer, but a super consistent bank shot... and some trick shots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfeolRTzrE

HarryCallahan
05-15-2013, 03:34 AM
I always bank 3's from top of the key an 45. It's a lot easier, especially off the dribble.