PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum: Kobe stunted my play

Sarcastic
12-16-2012, 09:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8753097/andrew-bynum-philadelphia-76ers-says-kobe-bryant-stunted-development-los-angeles-lakers

PHILADELPHIA -- Andrew Bynum played seven seasons with Kobe Bryant as his teammate before being traded to the Philadelphia 76ers this summer. He shared success with his fellow prep-to-pros product, making three NBA Finals, winning two championships and even both being named All-Stars last season.

But by the end of his time in L.A., Bynum felt that Bryant's ball-dominant ways hurt his development as one of the league's best centers.

"I thought it really helped me a lot obviously at first, because he draws so much attention it's hard for guys to double team and key on you, so it helped me tremendously," Bynum told a group of L.A. reporters before the Lakers played the Sixers on Sunday. "Later, I felt I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how it could stunt growth."

Despite not logging a minute with his new team yet because of knee problems, Bynum still has a very high opinion of where he currently ranks among the game's big men.

"Personally I think they traded No. 1 for No. 2," Bynum said, referring to the Lakers acquiring the 27-year-old Dwight Howard as the major part of the four-team exchange that landed him in Philly.

The 25-year-old Bynum warned that Howard will have to get used to the balancing act of playing alongside Bryant.

"I think Dwight is a great player, but he's going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe and not touching the ball every single play," Bynum said.

Of course, Howard is getting the chance to make those adjustments by being on the court. He hasn't missed a game all season after undergoing back surgery in the offseason. Bynum, meanwhile, has yet to suit up for the Sixers but sounded optimistic about his health on Sunday.

"Actually I'm feeling better and the pain is down in both knees, which is good," Bynum said. "But, there could be something floating around in there."

Bynum has an MRI scheduled for Thursday in New York City to examine both of his knees. He said his right knee has improved considerably, but he is still feeling discomfort in his left one.

"The update really is I'm feeling much better, I would say, than the initial state of injury," Bynum said, detailing how he has been able to add shooting drills to his rehab process. "When I see the doctor, hopefully I will be cleared for impact."

Bynum has yet to be able to run, however.

"I'm going to have to work extremely hard to get back into form," said Bynum who also revealed that he wasn't sure if his offseason trip to Germany to receive Orthokine therapy helped him or hurt him. "Obviously I've been off for quite some time now. It's kind of ridiculous. But, I'm just looking forward to getting back on the treadmill and running for the first time this entire summer."

Bynum could still not pinpoint the exact stress that caused his knees to become hurt in the offseason, noting that whatever happened came during his regular offseason training regimen.

"I don't think it was avoidable," Bynum said. "I just think it's something I have to go through."

While Bynum has been sidelined, he's paid attention to the struggles of his former team. However, the only teammate he's kept in touch with is Pau Gasol and he also hasn't spoken to Howard since the trade.

"They're just struggling," Bynum said of the Lakers' 10-14 start to the season. "They got injuries and they're not posting the ball, so, that's tough too."

Bynum wasn't done there.

"They got to make a commitment to defense, No. 1, and No. 2, I think they're going to have to post the ball within a system that's going to do that," he said. "Obviously the talent is there to win a championship from a starter's point of view, anyway. I think they struggle a little bit off the bench, so that kind of hurts, too."

Bynum said he has "no regrets" about the path that led him out of L.A. He added "my time is done there" and that the location of where he plays isn't as important to him as him being healthy enough to allow him to play.

"It doesn't really matter to me where I play as long as I get to," Bynum said.

The Lakers play the Sixers again New Year's Day, so it is very unlikely Bynum will get the opportunity to play against the only other team he's played for in his eight-year career.

"You want to play against your old team always," Bynum said. "It's just a shame. I don't know when I'll be back. I guess I'm just excited to play any game at this point."

Thoughts?

Jacks3
12-16-2012, 09:39 PM
More misleading headlines from the media. Yawn.

daily
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Being a number 2 option behind one of the all time greats and winning two rings is not being stunted.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Dont take his quote out of context or anything, OP.

b1imtf
12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
LA excuse: Kobe stunted my play
Philly excuse: Bowling stunted my play

What's better?

dabulls23
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
OP trying to trollolololol.

Bynum just saying Kobe too good he gets doubled every time so Bynum gets more easier looks so you might get spoiled to that and not playing to full potential.

red1
12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
basically all he's saying is that he didn't get as many touches because he was playing with a ball dominant player. not exactly news

chazzy
12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
McMenamin is a sensationalist

Sarcastic
12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
OP trying to trollolololol.

Bynum just saying Kobe too good he gets doubled every time so Bynum gets more easier looks so you might get spoiled to that and not playing to full potential.

What I posted was just an article from ESPN.

This is an example of a troll thread:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284354

PP34Deuce
12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I found,his comments about Dwight more slap in the face.

tmacattack33
12-16-2012, 10:04 PM
With the various amounts of articles written on the same subject and interviews available to us on the web nowadays, I've seen how someone can take something and make it seem like something else.

To me, this seems like Bynum was asked something like "It seems to me like Kobe may have stunted your growth, would you agree with this?"

And then Bynum responded by at first actually complimenting Kobe, and then he said something to confirm what the questioner said about the growth stunting and basically said "and then later on i felt like if i had the ball more i could do some great things with it...so yeah i guess it could have stunted my growth".

Not that bad.

Now the quote about him feeling the Lakers traded number 1 for number 2 is kinda crazy and bold, especially for someone who may have a Greg Oden like career with injuries.

L.Kizzle
12-16-2012, 10:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IsEI4VVOh0

Scholar
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
I found,his comments about Dwight more slap in the face.

This.

How is he going to claim the Lakers traded away #1 for #2? Bynum has yet to suit up for a game, while D12 hasn't missed a single game this season, even after having back surgery.

I<3NBA
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
so many butt hurt fans immediately coming into the thread :lol

IamRAMBO24
12-16-2012, 10:31 PM
LOL at the Laker's fan. You guys are so pathetic.

Here is a guy who has played with Kobe pretty much his entire career and he is simply making an observation of what he sees based on his first hand experience with playing with Kobe.

And he is right. Kobe does not make the guys around him better. He is a ball hog and does not focus his energies on the most essential element of winning: team ball.

Don't judge the man; he's been on the court with Kobe. Most of you have not, so your opinion is not as valid as his.

HannibalKid
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Hard to stunt someone's growth when they spent more time on the bench injured stunting thier own growth.

Jacks3
12-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Kobe has a greater track record of making guys better than any player of this era outside Nash.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4982/kobe.jpg

Oh, and 5 rings with two completely different casts.

STFU you clowns.

jlip
12-16-2012, 11:09 PM
basically all he's saying is that he didn't get as many touches because he was playing with a ball dominant player. not exactly news

This

Bandito
12-17-2012, 12:10 AM
So nice article, I hope he gets better. Not a lot of people get to play in the best league of basketball in the world, and he's one of the few so I hope he gets better and help put Philly on the map again.

Yao Ming's Foot
12-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Here is a guy who has played with Kobe pretty much his entire career and he is simply making an observation of what he sees based on his first hand experience with playing with Kobe.

And he is right. Kobe does not make the guys around him better. He is a ball hog and does not focus his energies on the most essential element of winning: team ball.

Don't judge the man; he's been on the court with Kobe. Most of you have not, so your opinion is not as valid as his.

Why is it that all of the guys who are so much better than Kobe at playing team winning ball .... prime Nash, Cavs Lebron, Heat Wade....... never actually win anything while Kobe is the greatest champion of his generation?

BEAST Griffin
12-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Why is it that all of the guys who are so much better than Kobe at playing team winning ball .... prime Nash, Cavs Lebron, Heat Wade....... never actually win anything while Kobe is the greatest champion of his generation?

More talent and better coaching around him compared to his competition.

Took the Lakers a lot of effort to beat Nash and scrubs ffs. Good thing Pau rescued that Kobe air ball in game 5.

Heavincent
12-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Took the Lakers a lot of effort to beat Nash and scrubs ffs. Good thing Pau rescued that Kobe air ball in game 5.

Kobe averaged 34/8/8 on 52% shooting in that series...

Yao Ming's Foot
12-17-2012, 12:44 AM
More talent and better coaching around him compared to his competition.

Weird I remember prime Nash playing with Joe Johnson, Amare and Marion. All All Stars.
Lebron finally won with the best 2-3 in the league.
Wade did the same as the sidekick.
Duncan flamed out with home court advantage twice.
The great Kevin Garnett teams up with a couple HOFers and the next great young PG and brings home a whopping one championship.
Chris Paul hasn't done anything worth talking in the playoffs despite having Griffin, Chandler and West and a deep Clippers team that crushes anything the Lakers trotted out there off the bench for any of those title winning teams .

Kobe had Pau Gasol and bunch of role players who were shadows of themselves post Kobe. How did the Mavs like Lamar Odom? Is Ariza going to get amnestied by whomever poor team has his contract now? How are those amazing guards Sasha and Farmar enjoying the Euroleague?

"Makes teammates better" is the biggest myth of the last decade.

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Kobe averaged 34/8/8 on 52% shooting in that series...

I still remember the way he teased that black coach after making those crazy shots

Styles p
12-17-2012, 01:08 AM
i'd rather bynum not be playing if hes not 100% or close to it than howard who's clearly not 100%. howard's hurting his team more than hes helping it.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-17-2012, 01:24 AM
pau gasol for bynum, get it done mitch.

rmt
12-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Being a number 2 option behind one of the all time greats and winning two rings is not being stunted.

And I'm sure that Kobe didn't feel the same way playing behind Shaq and was content being the #2 option (sarcasm).

konex
12-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Kobe responds:

Bryant, who said he met with Bynum for 3-4 minutes after he put up 34 points in the Lakers' 111-98 win over the Sixers, was not offended by his former teammate's remarks. In fact, he agreed with them.

"For sure, because when you're playing with me you obviously have to sacrifice something," Bryant said. "Same thing with me and Shaq (Shaquille O'Neal). You kind of off-set each other to a certain extent. So, I mean, that's true. When he gets back and he's healthy, he'll come out here and he'll be the focal point of their attack and he'll be getting the ball more and you'll see big games from him more consistently."

Bryant was very supportive of Bynum in his comments, calling the 7-footer "really a special player at both ends of the floor." The only pot shot Bryant took was over Bynum's combed-down afro coif, saying, "I don't know what he's doing with that perm, but I guess he's a trendsetter."

Kobe 4 The Win
12-17-2012, 02:40 AM
It makes a great headline even though that's not what Bynum said.

F**king ESPN. :rolleyes:

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 04:26 AM
BSPN, thread.

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Kobe responds:
:applause: Kobe is the man.

monkeypox
12-17-2012, 04:38 AM

I can't decide if you just didn't read the article or the thread... or if you just lack basic reading comprehension.

Jacks3
12-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Kobe responds:
Classy response from Kobe.

Walker
12-17-2012, 05:01 AM
I'm guessing his glass knees had more to do with stunting his growth...

Poetry
12-17-2012, 06:26 AM
All this talk about "stunted growth" and not a single :coleman:

I'm disappointed.

Burgz V2
12-17-2012, 11:26 AM
not really news. must have been a slow news day for this journalist. bent his words to make a story.

and he's right, he was playing with Kobe and Pau, he had to make the most of his touches playing with proven players who've been there and done that.

Bynum gets a bad rap for his off-the-court stupidity, but this guy when healthy is a BEAST, will pay instant dividends for PHI if they can get him on the court

DDensity
12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
This is no different than every rookie on the Heat saying Lebron is stunting their growth. It's true but it's supposed to be that way. That's still no excuse for Bynum's inconsistent play, where he'd employ the Shaq strategy of "if the big dog don't eat, he won't protect the yard" and pout for entire games. What's Bynum's excuse for his stunted mental growth, which is why he got traded in the first place? That guy has a lot of growing up to do.

Also, I saw the article on ESPN and read it just like everyone else, only to wonder how they came up with that headline based on the context. Sensationalist journalism at its finest. The way Bynum said it sounded completely different. They may as well have titled the article "Bynum regrets playing in LA; hates Kobe" -- it would have been equally representative.

Rasheed1
12-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Mark Jackson (the forward, not the point guard) says

"when you are hurt? Your mouth should be hurt too"

that means close your mouth Bynum while you arent playing. You are only bringing negative attention to yourself. just get better and get yourself on the court

longtime lurker
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Kobe responds:

Omg Kobe is the worst teammate ever! He hates Bynum blah blah blah. Nice response from Kobe. And by the way this is irresponsible journalism at its worst. Bynum didn't even say this just an article trying to start contoversy.

Foster5k
12-17-2012, 02:36 PM
bent his words to make a story.
True.

Guy basically said playing with Kobe was easier than not playing with Kobe. No shit.

dynasty1978
12-17-2012, 02:58 PM
True.

Guy basically said playing with Kobe was easier than not playing with Kobe. No shit.

ESPN is angry at Kobe for shutting down a non-story. Back to reporting on what Lebron ate for breakfast.

PP34Deuce
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
While bynum is a throwback center with grest offensive skill...la felt they should take a reasonably young durable player.

Dwight has been pacing himself like I thought. I expect to see Dwight round in form by mid jan

daily
12-17-2012, 11:52 PM
And I'm sure that Kobe didn't feel the same way playing behind Shaq and was content being the #2 option (sarcasm).We know he did. But he's also said on numerous occasions how much he appreciated the time with Shaq.

The difference is Kobe after Shaq went out and proved he was everything he said he was. Bynum has yet to do so and is still talking like he's the next great bigman. I realize he's injured but even his ability to deal with injury was often called into question in his time with the Lakers, there's a lot of people including his former coach that questioned his commitment to rehabbing or ability to play through even minor pain.

He's just not in the place to be talking about being stunted playing behind one of the all time greats.

jbot
12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
LA excuse: Kobe stunted my play
Philly excuse: Bowling stunted my play

What's better?
:oldlol: man, that's horrible (but true). it's still better than destroying your knee by getting off the couch like oden.

Sharmer
12-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Bynum full of excuses.