PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: Six 30+ pt games in a row at age 34

Extempo
12-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Even MJ didn't do that at age 34. Kobe is truly in a league of his own when it comes longevity and scoring. Its amazing what he is doing right now...first reaching 30,000 pts, leading the league in scoring, and now this. Its disgusting that haters try to dismiss this as if it doesn't matter when even the greatest of all time never did this. Take a bow Kobe, you'll be remembered as the greatest pure scorer of all time when its all said and done!

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:24 AM
The world is changing. If you think about, a lot of players are almost 34. It's only a few years older than being in your 20's. This is not 15 or 20 years ago. Sports medicine is better, the training is more educated. You cannot compare to Jordan from the 80's and 90's, no you can't. Kobe is actually still a young man.

Figlo
12-17-2012, 07:25 AM
we get it you jack it off to Kobe, congrats ****** troll

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 07:25 AM
The world is changing. If you think about, a lot of players are almost 34. It's only a few years older than being in your 20's. This is not 15 or 20 years ago. Sports medicine is better, the training is more educated. You cannot compare to Jordan from the 80's and 90's, no you can't. Kobe is actually still a young man.:oldlol: :oldlol:

sure t-man carter and AI scored 40 last night.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:26 AM
:oldlol: :oldlol:

sure t-man carter and AI scored 40 last night.

they had injuries, kobe never had a major injury, just some stiffness

TheeBeast
12-17-2012, 07:28 AM
The world is changing. If you think about, a lot of players are almost 34. It's only a few years older than being in your 20's. This is not 15 or 20 years ago. Sports medicine is better, the training is more educated. You cannot compare to Jordan from the 80's and 90's, no you can't. Kobe is actually still a young man.

lol yeah but you're forgetting about all the current 32+ year old players in the league who also have access to the same shit Kobe does. Or do you really want to argue a couple mil+ isn't enough to afford what Kobe could?

:oldlol::facepalm

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:30 AM
lol yeah but you're forgetting about all the current 32+ year old players in the league who also have access to the same shit Kobe does. Or do you really want to argue a couple mil+ isn't enough to afford what Kobe could? :oldlol:

Sometimes at the age people move on and focus more on their families, they are already very loaded and wealthy, so not as motivated.

Extempo
12-17-2012, 07:30 AM
See what I mean. These idiots will try to dispute FACTS and make up garbage reasons to explain why this isn't special. Whatever helps you sleep at night. True basketball fans who matter will give Kobe his props.

TheeBeast
12-17-2012, 07:31 AM

So durability over a span of a player's career doesn't factor into their greatness?

TheeBeast
12-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Sometimes at the age people move on and focus more on their families, they are already very loaded and wealthy, so not as motivated.

Motivation is also a non-factor in a player's overall greatness?

:biggums:

Durability and motivation are two of the most important reasons Jordan, Jabbar, Kobe, ect. are great players.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Motivation is also a non-factor in a player's overall greatness?

:biggums:

Durability and motivation are two of the most important reasons Jordan, Jabbar, Kobe, ect. are great players.

Kobe might pass them but Jordan was so good he got bored and retired twice. Kobe is about records. Jordan had nothing left to prove.

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 07:36 AM

Guy had 2 knee surgery's in his career.

also, he was picked at 13, not at 1.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:36 AM
So durability over a span of a player's career doesn't factor into their greatness?

He won with Shaq and Gasol/Bynum/Odom though. Jordan didn't have a star center. 3 of Kobe's rings were Shaq's team.

Extempo
12-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Some idiot trying to explain why MJ was great for being a quitter...I've heard it all.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Some idiot trying to explain why MJ was great for being a quitter...I've heard it all.

I think Stern prolly banned him for a year due to gambling behind the scenes. Look into that conspiracy. Kobe's team loses more than not when he scores a lot. Even Bynum said Kobe hurt him.

TheeBeast
12-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Kobe would probably be the number one scorer all time today if he didn't play with Shaq, Pau, Odom, Bynum throughout his career.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Kobe would probably be the number one scorer all time today if he didn't play with Shaq, Pau, Odom, Bynum throughout his career.

and 0 rings. The more Kobe scores the more he loses. That is proven.

L.A. Jazz
12-17-2012, 07:45 AM
... Even Bynum said Kobe hurt him.
i dont care about that childish who is/was better discussions, but please dont use the word "even" in such a sentence, like this is any prove. Bynum's opinions mean nothing.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 07:54 AM
i dont care about that childish who is/was better discussions, but please dont use the word "even" in such a sentence, like this is any prove. Bynum's opinions mean nothing.

he played with him personally for 7 years. I think he might know something. Kobe shoots too much instead of utilizing his team.

quartwarier
12-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Gotta cherish these moments before they disappear, Kobe watch him don't critisize him. An Alltime great in this young game, top 10. Memorize him in your mind as a basketball fan!! He may have some faults but who cares everyone does.

Nevaeh
12-17-2012, 08:06 AM
He won with Shaq and Gasol/Bynum/Odom though. Jordan didn't have a star center. 3 of Kobe's rings were Shaq's team.

Yep, plus Kobe's first two years were spent as a bench player, two seasons he's played in were shortened seasons and it wasn't like he was asked to carry the load for the team his first eight years either.

Also what kind of physical pounding has Kobe ever taken over his career, being that he's primarily a jump shooter? I'm guessing not too much of one. He's even admitted that he runs away from taking charges and relaxes on defense, for goodness sake.
:oldlol:

As far as those 30 point games, how many shots has he taken to meet that "special milestone" again? And where's the D at at to go along with them?

Rubio2Gasol
12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
He's playing fantastic.

Also the dude has seriously fcked up his body playing through injuries, don't clown on that.

dunksby
12-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Kareem
MJ
Magic
Russell
Wilt
Kobe
------
I have been lucky enough to have watched Jordan and Kobe play.

SacJB Shady
12-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Yep, plus Kobe's first two years were spent as a bench player, two seasons he's played in were shortened seasons and it wasn't like he was asked to carry the load for the team his first eight years either.

Also what kind of physical pounding has Kobe ever taken over his career, being that he's primarily a jump shooter? I'm guessing not too much of one. He's even admitted that he runs away from taking charges and relaxes on defense, for goodness sake.
:oldlol:

As far as those 30 point games, how many shots has he taken to meet that "special milestone" again? And where's the D at at to go along with them?

exactamugo.... all the kobe stans...

Magic 32
12-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Gasol/Bynum/Odom? :no:

http://bayareasportsguy.com/wp-content/andrew-bynum-knee-injury.jpg

Extempo
12-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Even Bynum said Kobe hurt him.

As if it matters what a lazy and overrated bum that gets injured BOWLING says about Kobe, a living legend and 5x champ. Bynum is now seen as a joke by everyone and reporters use his quotes for comedy. Only someone with a low IQ like yourself would use Bynum's comments to back you up hahaha. Stop while you're ahead troll, just digging yourself into a deeper hole.

P.S. Jordan always led the league in FGA...his career FGA per game is 22.9 while Kobe's is 19.6. Its obvious who the bigger ballhog was. I love how people bring up Kobe's shot attempts to dismiss his big scoring numbers, look at Jordan's shot attempts first and then shut up.

JohnnySic
12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
34 isn't "34" anymore, what with all the stuff they have now. 34 is like 28 now.

DMV2
12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
P.S. Jordan always led the league in FGA...his career FGA per game is 22.9 while Kobe's is 19.6. Its obvious who the bigger ballhog was. I love how people bring up Kobe's shot attempts to dismiss his big scoring numbers, look at Jordan's shot attempts first and then shut up.
Jordan took a lot of shots but he also had 5 consecutive seasons where he shot over. 500 through out the season.

Kobe has never cracked .470....he's shooting .478 this season but we still have more than 50 games to go.

Also, look at Jordan's and Kobe's playoff numbers. That's where the huge gap between the 2 is.

Asukal
12-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Wow! Six games! Big ****ing deal! :applause:

Jordan averaged that in his entire career. :roll:

NLZ
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
34 isn't "34" anymore, what with all the stuff they have now. 34 is like 28 now. Interesting, so 40 is now 34? Should we be expecting to see some productive 44 years olds soon since they're like 35 year olds now and and in the past 35 year olds were productive? Stop this trolling, just stop. Are people ever neutral when it comes to Kobe? I swear I'm reading stan vs hater 24/7, where's the neutral folks?

Indian guy
12-17-2012, 09:55 AM
You know what's funny? Kobe's already lost more games than MJ did in an entire season at the age of 34.

NLZ
12-17-2012, 10:04 AM
You know what's funny? Kobe's already lost more games than MJ did in an entire season at the age of 34.
5-1

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Jordan took a lot of shots but he also had 5 consecutive seasons where he shot over. 500 through out the season.

Kobe has never cracked .470....he's shooting .478 this season but we still have more than 50 games to go.

Also, look at Jordan's and Kobe's playoff numbers. That's where the huge gap between the 2 is.

Its not fair to compare, Kobe played 2 playoffs as a sub player which hurt his numbers badly. if you take them out he is averaging 27+ points per game in his playoff career.

than you must consider he played 8 seasons with Shaq, the most dominate center in history.

in 6 of 7 seasons without Shaq he averaged 28+ points per game in the playoffs.

in 4 of those he averaged 30 or more.

and if you start compare by age, and not when kobe was 19-20 year old its much less.

in 2003 he averaged 32 points per game in the playoffs, with Shaq.

he is no Jordan and Jordan wins this easy, but he is very good too.

JohnnySic
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Interesting, so 40 is now 34? Should we be expecting to see some productive 44 years olds soon since they're like 35 year olds now and and in the past 35 year olds were productive? Stop this trolling, just stop. Are people ever neutral when it comes to Kobe? I swear I'm reading stan vs hater 24/7, where's the neutral folks?
Its not just Kobe; Pierce, Garnett, Duncan, and Dirk (when he gets back) are all still playing at a high level. Did I miss anyone?

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 10:06 AM

??

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Its not just Kobe; Pierce, Garnett, Duncan, and Dirk (when he gets back) are all still playing at a high level. Did I miss anyone?

Pierce is a great player but he is not on a Kobe level.

SG is a different story. PF etc played great in the 90's too.

OldSchoolBBall
12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
??

He's referring to the fact that MJ's team lost 13 games all season when he was 34, while LA has already lost 14 games.

oh the horror
12-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Really dude? You REALLY believe shit changed and the human has what? Evolved and training has picked up THAT much in the last 15 years or so?

Stop.

I know some people on this board arent old enough to remember Mike back in the day, but really....cut the BS with this mentality that the 80s and 90s were the fu*king stone age. :oldlol:

NLZ
12-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Its not just Kobe; Pierce, Garnett, Duncan, and Dirk (when he gets back) are all still playing at a high level. Did I miss anyone? They're playing exactly how they're supposed to be playing like at their age.. they're all-timers (except Pierce no idea why you included him). Garnett is 36 playing like a 36 all-time great should be playing.

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
He's referring to the fact that MJ's team lost 13 games all season when he was 34, while LA has already lost 14 games.

It was on 33, on 34 bulls were 62-20.

not that LA with all those injuries are heading to 60+ wins.

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 10:37 AM

:roll: MJ fans hanging their hat on Scottie Pippen/Rodman/Kujok's accomplishment

what did that team do when MJ was "retired"?

OldSchoolBBall
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
It was on 33, on 34 bulls were 62-20.

Jordan was basically 34 in 1997. He was 33 years and 9 months old when the season started and turned 34 mid-way through the season.

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Jordan was basically 34 in 1997. He was 33 years and 9 months old when the season started and turned 34 mid-way through the season.

My bad:cheers:

poido123
12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
As if it matters what a lazy and overrated bum that gets injured BOWLING says about Kobe, a living legend and 5x champ. Bynum is now seen as a joke by everyone and reporters use his quotes for comedy. Only someone with a low IQ like yourself would use Bynum's comments to back you up hahaha. Stop while you're ahead troll, just digging yourself into a deeper hole.

I had to bite...

While I'm tired.of hearing jordan comparisons, you really don't understand that Jordan was very efficient and all of his teams required his scoring output unlike with Kobe he's been criticised for shooting his team out games and sometimes had under utilised his other teammates. Jordan was a better leader, his team understood what his role was and they followed. What I have seen with Kobe the last few years is his teammates question his ways of leading, gasol and Bynum have both had something to say. Anyways, I'm not that impressed by 6 30+ games in a row, when his team isn't winning up til the last few games. Jordan was number 1 scoring option on all his teams, Kobe had shaq and now has a team he needs to share the load or he will burnout or cause chemistry issues

Legends66NBA7
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
The more Kobe scores the more he loses. That is proven.

Actually, it's the complete opposite.

Scholar
12-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Kobe might pass them but Jordan was so good he got bored and retired twice. Kobe is about records. Jordan had nothing left to prove.

Are you being serious? You clearly don't know shit about Jordan's career, so please don't act as if you do.

Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

JohnnySic
12-17-2012, 12:37 PM
They're playing exactly how they're supposed to be playing like at their age.. they're all-timers (except Pierce no idea why you included him). Garnett is 36 playing like a 36 all-time great should be playing.
Pierce deserves to mentioned with Kobe, KG, TD, and Dirk. Don't know what you're talking about.

fpliii
12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Pierce deserves to mentioned with Kobe, KG, TD, and Dirk. Don't know what you're talking about.

Pierce is the odd man out though...the rest of the guys are top 20 all-time players (Dirk is fringe top 20, def top 25 though). He also looks like he's declined the most of the 4 (Dirk has yet to play, same with Nash more or less).

Legends66NBA7
12-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Mention ? I guess, but not much to talk about here.

When those 4 players have been in the talks or have been clearly the best players in the game, at their position, and have had, like fpliii said, easily Top 20-25 all-time rankings.

Pierce was never considered even close to the best player nor even the best at his own position (maybe 1 year ?) and certainly not close to Top 25 all-time.

AlphaWolf24
12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I had to bite...

While I'm tired.of hearing jordan comparisons, you really don't understand that Jordan was very efficient and all of his teams required his scoring output unlike with Kobe he's been criticised for shooting his team out games and sometimes had under utilised his other teammates. Jordan was a better leader, his team understood what his role was and they followed. What I have seen with Kobe the last few years is his teammates question his ways of leading, gasol and Bynum have both had something to say. Anyways, I'm not that impressed by 6 30+ games in a row, when his team isn't winning up til the last few games. Jordan was number 1 scoring option on all his teams, Kobe had shaq and now has a team he needs to share the load or he will burnout or cause chemistry issues

I'll Bite also...

- Jordan's Bull's championshup team won 55 games without him......7 players took more shots and shot a higher FG% without Jordan there ( To make them better)..Bull's defense also imroved

- In 1995 The Bull's won 11 outta 13 games before Jordan came back ( they were getting hot at the right time)....when Jordan came back he once again ruined team chemistry ...they actually did better the year before without him.

- If you watched Jordan through out most of his career, he (much like Kobe) dominated the offensive load at the expense of his teams( he was critisized opten for taking too many shots) It wasn't until Phil Jackson and Tex Winter arrived that the Bull's even sniffed success at an overall team level

- Kobe gets critisized for playing with Shaq?..who else?.....Lakers won with Kobe + shaq and 30 year old Glenn Rice as the 3rd option...Kobe won with Gasol and Odom??...

- Jordan won with Pippen ( arguably the top 5 greatest all around player ever....) and a premiere defender of his era ( has more career playoff games and playoff games won then MJ)...Jordan won with thegreatest rebounder and defender of his era...Dennis Rodman...Jordan had the greatest European player of the 90's Kukoc...Jordan played with 3 other allstars Bill Cartwright , Horace Grant and BJ Armstrong.

- Jordan without those guys had a career winning % of .412....5 Losing seasons ( below .500) and went 1 - 10 in the playoff's....that's 1 game won...
That's 1/3rd of his career!!!

- isnt basketball math fun?

YAYYY!!!

oh the horror
12-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Pippen is not and will never be a "top 5 best player ever".

Come on now

AlphaWolf24
12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Pippen is not and will never be a "top 5 best player ever".

Come on now

I said Top 5 allaround players ever.....sorry If I'm confusing you.

- I meant having the allaround game to play a top shelf Offensive game with a top shelf defensive game ( since defense is half the game and prolly the most important aspect to winning basketball)

- Pippen was a once in a lifetime defender...him and Jordan dominated/won Titles with thier ability to shut down the opposing teams perimeter.

- Yes Jordan's 4th quarter play was amazing....but teh Bull's won Titles because of Pippen's defense.

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I said Top 5 allaround players ever.....sorry If I'm confusing you.

- I meant having the allaround game to play a top shelf Offensive game with a top shelf defensive game ( since defense is half the game and prolly the most important aspect to winning basketball)

- Pippen was a once in a lifetime defender...him and Jordan dominated/won Titles with thier ability to shut down the opposing teams perimeter.

- Yes Jordan's 4th quarter play was amazing....but teh Bull's won Titles because of Pippen's defense.

Pippen carried the load on offense and defense. shame MJ stans don't recognize that

this was the guy that got the rebound, initiated the fast break, ran the point, locked down the star scorer on the otherside, and set up MJ for the easy score

it's no coincidence that MJ was a career loser before Pippen blossomed.

It's A VC3!!!
12-17-2012, 01:31 PM
He shoots 30 shots a game. How is he not supposed to get 30 points? Give Vince 30 shots a game and he will average 30 as well.:roll:
His team sucks so who cares. Melo is averaging 28 on the second best team in the NBA.

Rysio
12-17-2012, 01:33 PM
goat gonna goat. :bowdown:

Rysio
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
He shoots 30 shots a game. How is he not supposed to get 30 points? Give Vince 30 shots a game and he will average 30 as well.:roll:
His team sucks so who cares. Melo is averaging 28 on the second best team in the NBA.
and he will be out for the season that very same game.

Cladyclad
12-17-2012, 02:09 PM

21 shots to avg 30. Idk bout u, but i think that aint bad.

AlphaWolf24
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Vince puts up 10 shots...he would need a stretcher..

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/582199/vincehurt.jpg

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Jordan = 1072 career games
Kobe = 1186 games

MJ = 30.1 PPG, .497 FG%, 893 blocks, 2514 steals, 5633 assists, 32,292 points.

KB = 25.5 PPG, .454 FG%, 599 blocks, 1762 steals, 5542 assists, 30,222 points.

Kobe's had 114 more games in the NBA and STILL hasn't caught Jordan.

:roll:

Don't make me list post season stuff...:D

Asiantastic
12-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Kobe = 1186 games

Very solid point here.

You can't take the whole "More points by the age of __" thing seriously. You should always consider how many games they played and all that. But you also have to consider how much burn they've gotten and how well they're performing after all that.

One thing Kobe haters can't downplay is his longevity. He's properly adjusted his game to compliment his health and age and that's why he's still doing what he does on a consistent basis.

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Kobe = 1186 games

:facepalm
why don't u compare their stats from age 22-34?

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
why don't u compare their stats from age 22-34?

Why post selective stats? I didn't try to add all the points Jordan scored in college to this list.
NBA = highest league for basketball players. I compared their entire NBA careers up to this point. Don't like the results I guess?

I didn't even get into the 10x scoring champ vs. 2, MVP's etc.

Just pure stats from the MAIN categories. points, rebounds, assists, steals, FG%. It's not tough. Kobe's about 2/3rds of the player Jordan was.

Rysio
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Kobe = 1186 games

difference is kobe started his career humble and sacrificed his stats for his team the first 3-4 years of it. if he started chucking 25 shots a game of the bat like jordan did those numbers would look much different.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
difference is kobe started his career humble and sacrificed his stats for his team the first 3-4 years of it. if he started chucking 25 shots a game of the bat like jordan did those numbers would look much different.

Was he chucking @ 50% FGA? Was he chucking all those steals/assists/blocks/rebounds too? :roll:

Dragonyeuw
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
difference is kobe started his career humble and sacrificed his stats for his team the first 3-4 years of it.

Oh, so 18 year old Kobe was good enough to average 28-30 ppg right off the bat, but was sacrificing for the team?

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah - MJ, career rebounds = 6,672. Kobe in 114 more games? 6,272.

:lol:oldlol::roll:

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah - MJ, career rebounds = 6,672. Kobe in 114 more games? 6,272.

:lol:oldlol::roll:

:roll: MJ stad padding and stealing rebounds from his own teams

check their offensive rebound numbers. nearly equal.

Why post selective stats? I didn't try to add all the points Jordan scored in college to this list.
NBA = highest league for basketball players. I compared their entire NBA careers up to this point. Don't like the results I guess?

I didn't even get into the 10x scoring champ vs. 2, MVP's etc.

Just pure stats from the MAIN categories. points, rebounds, assists, steals, FG%. It's not tough. Kobe's about 2/3rds of the player Jordan was.

it's not selective, it's the RELEVANT stats. kobe came into the league as a 17 yr old on the bench, still lit up MJ so bad that phil sat Kobe to stroke MJ's ego tho

to compare their stats as starters is more informative

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 03:50 PM
:roll: MJ stad padding and stealing rebounds from his own teams

check their offensive rebound numbers. nearly equal.

it's not selective, it's the RELEVANT stats. kobe came into the league as a 17 yr old on the bench, still lit up MJ so bad that phil sat Kobe to stroke MJ's ego tho

to compare their stats as starters is more informative

LOL Kobe never "lit up" MJ. Now we have to post just "offensive" rebounds or "as starters".

6 rings with no dominant big man. 6/6 finals play. More points, rebounds, 4 more league MVP's, more points, more rebounds, more assists, 8x more scoring titles, you name it. He did it all in 118 fewer games too.

MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KB and it's not even close.

I'm not convinced Kobe is even the greatest Laker. Magic Johnson won 5 titles and had 9 finals appearances in 11 short years. As much or more than Kobe's done in 17. :eek:

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Kobe = 1186 games

bad post, the gap of 114 games is very misleading.

kobe first two season was a sub barley played 15 minutes, so its 164 season game advantage for MJ to post much better numbers.

anyway, MJ is the better player and the better career, Kobe to me is the closest player.

White Mamba
12-17-2012, 03:54 PM
LOL Kobe never "lit up" MJ. Now we have to post just "offensive" rebounds or "as starters".

6 rings with no dominant big man. 6/6 finals play. More points, rebounds, 4 more league MVP's, more points, more rebounds, more assists, 8x more scoring titles, you name it. He did it all in 118 fewer games too.

I'm not convinced Kobe is even the greatest Laker. Magic Johnson won 5 titles and had 9 finals appearances in 11 short years. As much or more than Kobe's done in 17. :eek:

Its 9 out of 12. and the Lakers were the heavy favorite to win the west every single year.

crisoner
12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Props to Kobe...

All these experts keep pushing that his career is over and dude still putting up elite numbers

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Kobe = 1186 games

You really can't blame Kobe because MJ wasn't durable enough to play more seasons.

Also, MJ took a vacation for 2 seasons to rest up his banged up body. We are talking about a guy that 3peated. 3 long season that would equate to 4 seasons including the playoffs.

MJ doesn't 3peat if he didn't take those vacations. That's why I laugh at the notion that people said the Bulls would 8peat if MJ didn't go on vacation. I don't think they sniff the 2nd 3peat if MJ continued to play.

If you want to bring up playoffs, like I said, you can't blame MJ for not going deep into the playoffs like Kobe did. Of course Kobe's going to have more playoff games, he went to more Finals than MJ ever did. Losing to two of the greatest defensive teams in history....Boston and Detroit.

Money 23
12-17-2012, 04:17 PM
kobe first two season was a sub barley played 15 minutes, so its 164 season game advantage for MJ to post much better numbers.
Not a total fair comparison, either. MJ's last two seasons as an old man with bad knees on the Wizards he was a struggling at 39 and 40 year of age to even stay on the floor. That's a whole 5 - 6 years OLDER than Kobe is right now. Without any brand new state of the art knee surgeries

He missed his entire 2nd season with a broken foot. Just a reminder, we won't use that as the crutch of the argument.

The BIGGEST difference regarding MJ and Kobe was Jordan was retired at his absolute PEAK / PRIME for essentially two full seasons in 1994 and 1995. Those years would be pretty much lock to be two more MJ caliber seasons of 32/6/5 on his resume.

MJ didn't play in his Kobe-esque twilight careers in the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons where he could've padded his career total numbers even more.

MJ dropped 51 as a 38 or 39 year old. Kobe hasn't dropped 50+ since I believe 2009 or 2010.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Not a total fair comparison, either. MJ's last two seasons as an old man with bad knees on the Wizards he was a struggling at 39 and 40 year of age to even stay on the floor. That's a whole 5 - 6 years OLDER than Kobe is right now. Without any brand new state of the art knee surgeries

He missed his entire 2nd season with a broken foot. Just a reminder, we won't use that as the crutch of the argument.

The BIGGEST difference regarding MJ and Kobe was Jordan was retired at his absolute PEAK / PRIME for essentially two full seasons in 1994 and 1995. Those years would be pretty much lock to be two more MJ caliber seasons of 32/6/5 on his resume.

MJ didn't play in his Kobe-esque twilight careers in the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons where he could've padded his career total numbers even more.

MJ dropped 51 as a 38 / 39 year old. Kobe hasn't dropped 50+ since I believe 2009 or 2010.

No way he would average those numbers for two years after 3peating. His body was banged up. While players get a head start with the offseason, MJ was playing for 3peats. I doubt he comes back the following 2 years and averaged those numbers.

Why would a player in his prime retire? He didn't retire, it was more like a vacation to get rested so he can prepare himself for another title run.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:22 PM

MJ dropped 51 as a 38 or 39 year old. Kobe hasn't dropped 50+ since I believe 2009 or 2010.

Of course. MJ didn't play from age 30 / 4 months to 32 / 1 month. What a peak to have missed.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
No way he would average those numbers for two years after 3peating. His body was banged up. While players get a head start with the offseason, MJ was playing for 3peats. I doubt he comes back the following 2 years and averaged those numbers.

Why would a player in his prime retire? He didn't retire, it was more like a vacation to get rested so he can prepare himself for another title run.

Do you not remember 1993? How old were you then? He already stated that he had nothing left to prove in basketball, his Dad had just been murdered, and he had always wanted to give baseball a try. Not to mention I'm sure he was in trouble for gambling as well.

Note that NONE of these reasons have anything to do with "letting his body rest". What a joke. Go watch 1993 Micheal - you think that guy wasn't ready physically for the 1993-94 season? :roll:Outta here kid.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
If MJ didn't take those vacations, I would believe a knee issue would arise.

Kobe started getting knee issues after the following 2 years after they 3peated.

MJ with the Wiz needed his knees to ice down during games. We would have seen MJ go through knee surgeries but he took the smart route and rested.

SpecialQue
12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
The world is changed. I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air...much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Then he went on to the rigors of trying to re-form his body to play an entirely different professional sport. How on earth would he be too beat up to play a game that came easy to him that he was conditioned to play the previous 9 years?

Rigors of re-forming his body? The man was standing in the outfield tanning bro.:facepalm

And if it wasn't for the betrayal he felt by Bulls management in 1999, I'm sure he could've come back in the shortened season and put up another 28 or 29 ppg season with relative ease.

More speculation with the "29ppg" season. Or he could have blown out a knee coming off a long 3peat season. I bet you are the few that thing he would have gotten a 8peat if it wasn't for his vacation right?

Trying to become a professional baseball player is the polar opposite of "chillin" and getting rest. LMAO @ the agenda.

I would disagree considering that basketball is way more demanding than baseball. Like I mentioned earlier he was standing out their in the sun half the time and sitting under a shady dugout chewing sun flower seeds. Far from the rigors of a NBA season.

Vienceslav
12-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Let me just point out the fact that a user named "Shaquille O

Dragonyeuw
12-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Some serious revisionist history around here...

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
The world is changed. I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air...much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

it's appropriate that you quote lord of the RINGS in a thread about Kobe bryant :bowdown: :bowdown:

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:40 PM
[quote=Vienceslav]Let me just point out the fact that a user named "Shaquille O

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Here's a tip, brainiac. Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm *not* the real Shaq. He was one of my favorite players though. But Jordan was the best I've ever seen play, followed probably by Bird in his peak. But I'm around the 40 year old mark, and have seen more than just the last 5 years of basketball.:cheers:

u done fallen asleep in front of that tv for the past decade or so?

new brotha in town called Kobe

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Nobody is denying how great MJ was but a lot of his fans make him out to be some invincible athlete, when he was not.

I blame the media and Nike for manufacturing his status. All those Nike commercials when he was playing was propaganda. They brainwashing the sheeps.

The best players today, Kobe and Lebron don't get these kind of love from Nike commercials. Yes, Lebron too.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Some serious revisionist history around here...

Exactly. All Jordan was doing @ Age 34 was dominating, winning a scoring title, championship ring and finals MVP. Plus half of his 34 year old season (Oct 1997-Feb 1998) he won the league MVP.

But if shooting a bunch to get 30+ point games (and losses) is your thing, Kobe is certainly doing well at it. :roll::roll:

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Nobody is denying how great MJ was but a lot of his fans make him out to be some invincible athlete, when he was not.

I blame the media and Nike for manufacturing his status. All those Nike commercials when he was playing was propaganda. They brainwashing the sheeps.

The best players today, Kobe and Lebron don't get these kind of love from Nike commercials. Yes, Lebron too.

Blame the media? I was an adult when Mike won ring #1. How old were you? You ever see Mike play LIVE in person? I have.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
u done fallen asleep in front of that tv for the past decade or so?

new brotha in town called Kobe
Kobe's a great player. Just too dumb to stop shooting and get other people involved.

I give Kobe pretty much 1 actual ring - 2009. 2010 Pau carried his butt, and 2000-2002 was Shaq. But even then in 2002 the Kings were robbed.

MJ closed out all his finals in 6 games. Kobe needed the refs to bail them out in 2010 game 7 and 2002 WCF game 6. It's true. Look it up.
Look at the 2004 + 2008 Finals. Kobe's team got dusted for 30-40 pts each game. That never happened with Mike in the finals; he wouldn't have allowed it.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Blame the media? I was an adult when Mike won ring #1. How old were you? You ever see Mike play LIVE in person? I have.

lol @ watching him live.

Did he do something different live than what I was watching on television? I guess all those commercial breaks MJ was dunking from halfcourt and played with one hand.

HardwoodLegend
12-17-2012, 04:50 PM

He got those commercials because of how he inspired with his play.

Look no further than his career scoring average on ridiculous efficiency, all-around stats and athletic feats.

He was damn near invincible.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
lol @ watching him live.

Did he do something different live than what I was watching on television? I guess all those commercial breaks MJ was dunking from halfcourt and played with one hand.

Reading too hard bro? How old are you, and be honest.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
He got those commercials because of how he inspired with his play.

Look no further than his career scoring average on ridiculous efficiency, all-around stats and athletic feats.

He was damn near invincible.

:applause: Of course. Kids on here saying he took 2 years off to "rest".:roll::lol:oldlol:

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Reading too hard bro? How old are you, and be honest.
I'm just going to say I am 13 years of age.

What's your excuse, being a grown ass man, arguing with a 13 year olds?

What you are doing parallels what a Pedo' would do. Be careful what you ask for and pick your poison wisely. The pathetic-ness of calling people's age on a message board.

STATUTORY
12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
:applause: Of course. Kids on here saying he took 2 years off to "rest".:roll::lol:oldlol:

MJ didn't have the type of dedication to put in 17 consecutive seasons the way Kobe did. DOn't be mad cause your hero didn't care enough about you and the rest of his fans to put in that effort

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:11 PM

What you are doing parallels what a Pedo' would do. Be careful what you ask for and pick your poison wisely. The pathetic-ness of calling people's age on a message board.

This is a very juvenile argument, as demonstrated by your age. Look up the word "perspective" and read about it. Age will give you a different one.

Cali Syndicate
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Rigors of re-forming his body? The man was standing in the outfield tanning bro.:facepalm

While being an outfielder isn't nearly as taxing on the body, MJ was working his ass off to improve as a baseball player. Coming into practice before sunrise, leaving long after everyone else has left. While his stats don't impress, the strides he made were incredible for someone who spent their entire adulthood playing and mastering completely different sport.

And LOL at you. i bet you use that "look how many games the Bulls won w/o MJ in 95" but would argue against the fact that had MJ been on that team, they would have most likely than not 4-peated. Bulls probably don't win in 95 cause losing Grant was pretty big.

With the same additions in 96-98, not sure how you could think Bulls don't have the success. Maybe they don't win 72 games in 96 but 3-peating isn't out of the question.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
MJ didn't have the type of dedication to put in 17 consecutive seasons the way Kobe did. DOn't be mad cause your hero didn't care enough about you and the rest of his fans to put in that effort

Yet as I've shown MJ did MORE in less time. 118 less games, more rings/FMVP's/scoring titles/assists/rebounds/blocks/steals/points.

He wasn't getting blown out by 30+ to end his 2004/2006/2008/2011 seasons....:lol:oldlol::roll::lol:oldlol::banana:

LBJFTW
12-17-2012, 05:13 PM

The inverse is also true. What the hell are 13 year olds doing arguing with those that have forgotten more than they currently know? :facepalm

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:14 PM
While being an outfielder isn't nearly as taxing on the body, MJ was working his ass off to improve as a baseball player. Coming into practice before sunrise, leaving long after everyone else has left. While his stats don't impress, the strides he made were incredible for someone who spent their entire adulthood playing and mastering completely different sport.

And LOL at you. i bet you use that "look how many games the Bulls won w/o MJ in 95" but would argue against the fact that had MJ been on that team, they would have most likely than not 4-peated. Bulls probably don't win in 95 cause losing Grant was pretty big.

With the same additions in 96-98, not sure how you could think Bulls don't have the success. Maybe they don't win 72 games in 96 but 3-peating isn't out of the question.

This. People don't realize how hard it is to hit a big league pitcher / curve ball; MJ hadn't played baseball since he was a kid. Dude could do it all.:eek:

LBJFTW
12-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Yet as I've shown MJ did MORE in less time. 118 less games, more rings/FMVP's/scoring titles/assists/rebounds/blocks/steals/points.

He wasn't getting blown out by 30+ to end his 2004/2006/2008/2011 seasons....:lol:oldlol::roll::lol:oldlol::banana:

:lol

/thread

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
The inverse is also true. What the hell are 13 year olds doing arguing with those that have forgotten more than they currently know? :facepalm

HEY! Well that's true. I'm also sad there's not more Larry Bird love on here, or Kareem. Talking about Kobe as a member of the upper echelon of players is a travesty to all the true greats.

17 years in the league and dude still looks for "leadership" from other players.:lol

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 05:17 PM
This. People don't realize how hard it is to hit a big league pitcher / curve ball; MJ hadn't played baseball since he was a kid. Dude could do it all.:eek:

Keyword here "big league"

MJ never played the big leagues.

This post is just another example of propping up his hero. At least I bring up facts and "hypothesize scenarios".

You sir, are making MJ to be some athlete who was hitting Nolan Ryan's fastballs in a World Series.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Keyword here "big league"

MJ never played the big leagues.

This post is just another example of propping up his hero. At least I bring up facts and "hypothesize scenarios".

You sir, are making MJ to be some athlete who was hitting Nolan Ryan's fastballs in a World Series.

He signed a contract with the White Sox and played in their minor league system. This isn't comparing little league to the pro's - you really think there's that much of a speed difference pitching from a AAA team vs. the pros? :biggums:

Come on now you're better than that. There's a reason they call up minor league players and send down pro players.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Oh, just looked it up. In 2003 Kobe's Lakers lost to the Spurs by 28 in the closeout game. Plus they got swept in 1997-1999 or went 4-1 in their final series.

Other than the big diesel carrying the load early on, or having clutch players like Fisher/Gasol what would Kobe's career be?

Dude didn't even MAKE the playoffs in his prime. Lost a 3-1 edge vs. the Suns. Got destroyed by Dallas/OKC the last 2 years. Crushed by Detroit in 5 games (where he was chuck city) and blown out by 40 vs. Boston in 08.

All that opportunity and skill squandered because he can't play team ball and setup other players. It's a travesty actually.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
He signed a contract with the White Sox and played in their minor league system. This isn't comparing little league to the pro's - you really think there's that much of a speed difference pitching from a AAA team vs. the pros? :biggums:

Come on now you're better than that. There's a reason they call up minor league players and send down pro players.

Yes.

There is a huge difference from Majors and Minors.

That's why you hang out on a "basketball" forum and not a baseball one.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Oh, just looked it up. In 2003 Kobe's Lakers lost to the Spurs by 28 in the closeout game. Plus they got swept in 1997-1999 or went 4-1 in their final series.

Other than the big diesel carrying the load early on, or having clutch players like Fisher/Gasol what would Kobe's career be?

Dude didn't even MAKE the playoffs in his prime. Lost a 3-1 edge vs. the Suns. Got destroyed by Dallas/OKC the last 2 years. Crushed by Detroit in 5 games (where he was chuck city) and blown out by 40 vs. Boston in 08.

All that opportunity and skill squandered because he can't play team ball and setup other players. It's a travesty actually.

Then wouldn't it be more impressive for a guy to win his way and lose his way because he can't play "team" ball than it is for a guy that can win playing team ball.

I mean the entire premise is playing team ball which means you are more accustom to relying more on your teammates.

Where the other guy, was based solely on his own contribution to winning?

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Yes.

There is a huge difference from Majors and Minors.

That's why you hang out on a "basketball" forum and not a baseball one.

Dudes throw just as hard in both leagues. Again, we're not talking about him playing t-ball now are we? :facepalm

Cali Syndicate
12-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Kinda crazy how both Kobe and Mcgrady in their best statistical seasons went up 3-1 against a far superior team and then lost the next 3.

And BTW, the Barons were a AA- minor league division not AAA

Shaquille O'Neal
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Then wouldn't it be more impressive for a guy to win his way and lose his way because he can't play "team" ball than it is for a guy that can win playing team ball.

I mean the entire premise is playing team ball which means you are more accustom to relying more on your teammates.

Could it be...(drumroll) the assists/blocks/rebounds MJ got along with his points? This isn't tough.

Yep, Kobe's "prime" 2004-2005 season, the impressive 34-48 record, was certainly smart of him to run Shaq out of town. He did win the 34 games "his way" though.

9erempiree
12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Dudes throw just as hard in both leagues. Again, we're not talking about him playing t-ball now are we? :facepalm

You have to remember MJ played baseball for a majority of his childhood life. I believe the last time he played was in high school.

He was a natural athlete. I am sure he can hit minor league pitchers. You act as though, he just decided to try baseball out. The man was already trained at an early age on how to hit pitches.

As great of an athlete he was, I am sure he would have went on to play baseball at a professional level whether that is the minors or majors. The fact that he was hitting minor league pitches comes as no surprise. This is one of the greatest athlete in sports but I refuse to believe that he had to "reform" his body for minor league baseball when basketball is much more demanding.

Cali Syndicate
12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
You have to remember MJ played baseball for a majority of his childhood life. I believe the last time he played was in high school.

He was a natural athlete. I am sure he can hit minor league pitchers. You act as though, he just decided to try baseball out. The man was already trained at an early age on how to hit pitches.

As great of an athlete he was, I am sure he would have went on to play baseball at a professional level whether that is the minors or majors. The fact that he was hitting minor league pitches comes as no surprise. This is one of the greatest athlete in sports but I refuse to believe that he had to "reform" his body for minor league baseball when basketball is much more demanding.

Too much wrong in this post. Just way too much.

ihoopallday
12-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Damn are you related to Kobe or something. Seriously, it's pathetic how much time you spend talking about him. Go out and get some fresh air. Hey, you might even talk to a girl :applause: