PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'antoni:Pau should be taking corner 3s

juju151111
12-20-2012, 03:09 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225095/Gasol_Has_More_Issue_With_DAntonis_System_Than_Pla ying_With_Howard

Lol he says pau only going to be in the Post when we can get him. What does this guy smoke?

clayton
12-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Damn, Bynum wished he could of stayed with Lakers. He'll take those 3's with confident.

d.bball.guy
12-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Damn, Bynum wished he could of stayed with Lakers. He'll take those 3's with confident.
:roll: Beat me to it

Imagine Bynum staying on the corner screaming for the ball

Mrofir
12-20-2012, 04:23 AM
:roll: Beat me to it

Imagine Bynum staying on the corner screaming for the ball

lol repping everyone involved

Fiasco
12-20-2012, 04:26 AM

I love how everyone's minds immediately ran to this.

Mrofir
12-20-2012, 04:27 AM
just read the quote. D'antoni is a good basketball mind but he is stubborn beyond belief.

Suns may have missed a ring because of bogus suspensions, but D'antoni's short lineup all those years and refusal to go to 9 or 10 man lineup drained the team. Many times they lost to the Spurs, they lost cause they were tired in the 4th. Ugh.

What I will say though, is when his system is clicking, it's absolutely beautiful to watch, and it's worth it even for a player of pau's caliber to try his damn best to adapt, and I don't think he's doing that right now. I'm not really sure if anyone has bought in yet, seem to be waiting for Nash to wave his magic wand.

ScarSymmetry
12-20-2012, 04:30 AM

Hahaha

:oldlol:

hawkfan
12-20-2012, 04:34 AM
The Lakers are fukked.

Eric Cartman
12-20-2012, 04:38 AM
23% for his career.

francesco totti
12-20-2012, 04:40 AM
howard should take some shots from 3 as well

Noof
12-20-2012, 04:45 AM
What an idiot.

Graviton
12-20-2012, 04:48 AM
CHAMPIONSHIP CRUISE! :banana:

Toizumi
12-20-2012, 04:53 AM
This is ridiculous. Imagine Popovich coaching this team, implementing his old system, in which he played with two bigs down low. I hate it when coaches don't play into their players' strengths, but stick to their own game. They have to show some flexibility and use their personal in the most effective way. Clearly, D'Antoni is not such a coach.

BoutPractice
12-20-2012, 07:39 AM
This is stupid beyond belief.
I've rarely seen such an idiotic comment from a well respected coach...

You fit the system around your players, NOT the other way around.

If D'Antoni doesn't want a post up oriented team, he should ask for Pau to be moved right now.

bagelred
12-20-2012, 09:28 AM
:roll:

"But Coach, can you explain why you'd have a great post up player shoot corner 3's?"

http://images.4chan.org/sp/src/1355453815974.gif

PJR
12-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Refusal to adjust to personnel is a sign of a bad coach.

Blue&Orange
12-20-2012, 09:56 AM
:lol

CeltsGarlic
12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Im feeling really bad for Pau..

Clifton
12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
D'antoni is a good basketball mind
D'antoni is an idiot. He's like a college student who turns in the same exact paper for every assignment in every class.

He has one of the 3 or 4 best back-to-the-basket players in basketball and he wants him spotting up. First, he can't do that. Second, he is excellent at doing something way more important.

White Mamba
12-20-2012, 10:21 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

ZenMaster
12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
D'antoni is an idiot. He's like a college student who turns in the same exact paper for every assignment in every class.

He has one of the 3 or 4 best back-to-the-basket players in basketball and he wants him spotting up. First, he can't do that. Second, he is excellent at doing something way more important.

No NBA team starts two centers because it's tough to make work while still having good outside attacking. Is there a starting 4 in the league who can't shoot either 3's or mid-range?
The problem with 2 centers and D'Antoni is that it's tough to run an effecient free flowing pickn'roll offense from a 3-2 set, much tougher than from a 4-1.
I don't know about corner 3's but Pau has to be able to make open mid-range jumpers if Lakers are to be succesful.

It's also not the worst thing in the world if one player doesn't fit what a new coach wants to do with the team. If they would have hired PJ then Morris, Meeks, Metta, Hill and maybe Jamison would look like headless chickens in the triangle.

Now I love Pau and think he's a hell of a player, but he has to remain versatile because Howard isn't and there's no 6th man of the year Odom on this team.

Real Men Wear Green
12-20-2012, 10:50 AM
If that's how he feels they may as well deal Gasol for Bargs.

GoldMedallist
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM

He is not an idiot, is simply a fan who syas that he is a coach. It's hard to believe how general managers believe him and pays a lot of money for ruining their teams.

A coach know he should use their tools, and adapt the system. No "I like my PF to shoot 3-pointers, so Pau, go to the corner and shoot a 40% in 3PG even if you have never done it in 31 years, please".

Come on, it's pathetic

Rekindled
12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Jerry Buss brought Dantoni in to run his system for a more showtime offense.

if Jerry Buss wanted the slow grind it out post up offense back, he would have brought in Phil Instead.

Dantoni is just doing what his boss asked him to do

gigantes
12-20-2012, 11:55 AM
No NBA team starts two centers because it's tough to make work while still having good outside attacking. Is there a starting 4 in the league who can't shoot either 3's or mid-range?
The problem with 2 centers and D'Antoni is that it's tough to run an effecient free flowing pickn'roll offense from a 3-2 set, much tougher than from a 4-1.
I don't know about corner 3's but Pau has to be able to make open mid-range jumpers if Lakers are to be succesful.

It's also not the worst thing in the world if one player doesn't fit what a new coach wants to do with the team. If they would have hired PJ then Morris, Meeks, Metta, Hill and maybe Jamison would look like headless chickens in the triangle.

Now I love Pau and think he's a hell of a player, but he has to remain versatile because Howard isn't and there's no 6th man of the year Odom on this team.
Pau's very good at mid-rangers AFAIK. He's simply not a stretch four. He's also a great passer who should have the ball in his hands as much as possible, and the Dwight trade instantly kills a lot of that. Seems like they either need to bring him off the bench or trade him. :confusedshrug:

ShaqAttack3234
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
This is ridiculous. Imagine Popovich coaching this team, implementing his old system, in which he played with two bigs down low. I hate it when coaches don't play into their players' strengths, but stick to their own game. They have to show some flexibility and use their personal in the most effective way. Clearly, D'Antoni is not such a coach.

Pop is a great example because once Duncan started slowing down a bit and the Spurs didn't have the same size, he adjusted his system and has kept the Spurs winning about 60 games and contending in the West. I thought Pau was underutilized and misused last year, and that there was no reason to feature Bynum more, but that pales in comparison to this year. This is important because it shows that Pau doesn't have to be a non-factor because of Howard. Bynum attempted 13.3 FGA and 5.6 FTA, divide the FT in 2 and that's about 16.1 total attempts. Howard is averaging 11.2 FGA and 10.3 FTA so about 16.3-16.4 attempts. Granted, Dwight averages almost 1 more turnover, but he also gets almost 1 more offensive rebound per game and is less of a black hole. Yet Pau has gone from a 17/10/4, 50% guy even last year to 12/9/4, 41% this year.

Perfect description of D'Antoni. I saw this with him every night in NY, and it's obvious from how the Melo/Lin thing played out. D'Antoni has a narrow-minded view of the game, and so he favored Lin because he fit D'Antoni's system better, and alienated Melo in the process. What D'Antoni forgot is that Melo is the much better player. He's the superstar who was brought in to lead the team, and without D'Antoni, he's doing that. Is there a GM who would trade Melo for Lin?

Pau is a player who came to a Laker team that was a low 40ish win borderline playoff team and instantly got them to the finals. He was then an essential player on 2 championship teams, as important to those teams as a 2nd option can be. Phil knew how important he was, and Kobe knows too. Pau isn't going to make THAT type of impact anymore. Not with this roster, and probably not at his age, but he can still be very good.

This is now 2 great players in 2-3 years who D'Antoni has alienated and misused. He now wants Pau to shoot corner 3s? Stretch 4s who can shoot 3s are a dime a dozen, but that's not what Pau is. It's incredible, he's pretty much not looking at what kind of player Pau is and what he actually can do, and instead stubbornly saying "I want a stretch 4 so that's what Pau will have to be."

Chicago Brawls
12-20-2012, 12:49 PM
According to D'Antoni Pau should only be taking corner 3s because there is no 4s.

madmax
12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
If that's how he feels they may as well deal Gasol for Bargs.

:applause:
Let this happen please

Scholar
12-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I like D'Antoni, but he is so damn stubborn. He needs to play to his guys' strengths, not their weaknesses. Pau isn't a spot up shooter. Just put Pau on the bench as the 6th man, have him come in at the Center position as Dwight's back up. That way, Pau is still a post player, and the 2nd unit gets better with a 7 footer in the middle.

SCdac
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This guy is a joke!

Rockets(T-mac)
12-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Seriously how retarded is D'antoni? Pau and Dwight should be able to work decently together on the low and high post. With Pau's passing and mid-range and Dwight's finishing. Pau can also actually hit free-throws down the stretch and has a vastly superior post game compared to Dwight. But you want him to ****ing shoot corner 3s? :wtf:

I knew he was a bad coaching fit for this team, but I didn't know he was this ****ing stupid and stubborn. I thought Knicks fans were exaggerating, but my god this guy does not know how to adjust.

TOUCH MY BODY
12-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Lakers need to land Ryan Anderson :banana:

It's A VC3!!!
12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Those comments alone should get him fired.

rmt
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Hey, D'Antoni, Bonner for Gasol - have your stretch 4. What a waste of Gasol's talents - it's not like there are (m)any 7 footers with the kind of post skill that Gasol has.

I'd suggest that D'Antoni take a look at what Pop is doing with Duncan and Splitter (starting beside TD the past 4? games) but it's a bit different as DH plays so many minutes. DH is the problem - can't pass, can't shoot the jumper - not Gasol. DH and D'Antoni would do great together with a bunch of 3 point shooters (would've worked wonders with the old Phoenix team). Unfortunately, that doesn't describe the rest of LAL.

Pointguard
12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Just an excuse to trade him for Bargani or Ryan Anderson. Pau is gone.

SCdac
12-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey, D'Antoni, Bonner for Gasol - have your stretch 4. What a waste of Gasol's talents - it's not like there are (m)any 7 footers with the kind of post skill that Gasol has.

I'd suggest that D'Antoni take a look at what Pop is doing with Duncan and Splitter (starting beside TD the past 4? games) but it's a bit different as DH plays so many minutes. DH is the problem - can't pass, can't shoot the jumper - not Gasol. DH and D'Antoni would do great together with a bunch of 3 point shooters (would've worked wonders with the old Phoenix team). Unfortunately, that doesn't describe the rest of LAL.

I'd suggest looking at the last 30 years of basketball :roll:

Post up PF's and C's have been playing together since as long as I can remember.

Hell, Bynum and Pau played together.

D'antoni's system is a novelty and a joke.

edit: I agree though, he should look at the Spurs and their successful model

Clifton
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
No NBA team starts two centers because it's tough to make work while still having good outside attacking.
In Memphis, yes, he was the de facto C, but the guy playing next to him wasn't a floor-stretcher. I don't remember his name but he was a bruiser. There was Stromile Swift and one other guy. LA won titles starting him at PF and Bynum at C, and even with a Pau-Odom-Artest frontcourt, all 3 of those guys like to be in the paint and post up.

The point isn't that D'Antoni thinks the offense is too slow or congested with two centers. The point is that he has a lot of talent, and he has no idea what to do with it, because it's not alley-oop or 3-jacking talent. That's a problem.

swi7ch
12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Seriously how retarded is D'antoni? Pau and Dwight should be able to work decently together on the low and high post. With Pau's passing and mid-range and Dwight's finishing. Pau can also actually hit free-throws down the stretch and has a vastly superior post game compared to Dwight. But you want him to ****ing shoot corner 3s? :wtf:

I knew he was a bad coaching fit for this team, but I didn't know he was this ****ing stupid and stubborn. I thought Knicks fans were exaggerating, but my god this guy does not know how to adjust.

He was also touted as an offensive genius who revolutionzed NBA basketball. :facepalm

Godzuki
12-20-2012, 03:10 PM
they really should get rid of Pau if they have to base their whole offense around him being in the post like he keeps acting. thing is even when you put him there he's so inconsistent, where he's 2-3 inconsistent games away from being the problem again, and not so much the offense. Pau has for a long time now been incredibly inconsistent where you can't rely on him game to game because he will disappear or play super soft. people want to blame the offense for Pau's issues but its him being weak mentally and physically.

Clutch
12-20-2012, 04:56 PM
D'Antoni is hilarious :roll: :roll: :roll: Of course when he's not coaching your team.

Scoooter
12-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Pau should be the center. That's how the Lakers won championships, with Pau at the 5 and Lamar Odom stretching the four.

Dwight has an abysmal post game, and his athleticism seems to have gone.

SyRyanYang
12-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Play Metta at 4, Kobe at 3, Meeks at 2. Let pau come off the bench as center

IGOTGAME
12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I hate this Lakers team. I hope they miss the playoffs and everything falls apart. Its the only way they fire that trash coach.

ZenMaster
12-20-2012, 06:11 PM

They should, but they haven't so far. Pau is shooting horrible because his mid-range shooting so far has been bad and so far HE HAS NOT BEEN GOOD IN THE POST.

People keep saying well they did this and that 3 season ago, but that was 3 seasons ago. Pau hasn't shown nearly the power, speed or quickness he had in 2010. He's shot bad and hasn't done well either when working the post.
I don't know if Pau is overconfident or if he's hiding his bad play on the system but there's nothing about his play so far this season that suggests he should be getting the ball more. He's not shooting 41% for the year because he's been taking 3's, he's shooting 41% because he's been missing too much mid-range while getting dunks blocked by Glen Davis and what not, those things are on Pau and his injury, not anybody elses.

SpecialQue
12-20-2012, 06:56 PM
For the first time since he joined the team, I desperately want Pau traded. Almost any other team would put him to better use.

No_Look604
12-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Free The Ostridge!

ZenMaster
12-20-2012, 07:33 PM
For the first time since he joined the team, I desperately want Pau traded. Almost any other team would put him to better use.

If he doesn't pick it up a bit it might be for the best, I'd love to see him play next to Anthony Davis. NOLA has the same problem as the Lakers only at the 4 instead of the 5, their two best big guys are forwards so they can't start together.

tmacattack33
12-20-2012, 08:04 PM

:oldlol:

ElPigto
12-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Wasn't Antoine Walker looking for a job? I mean, I know the guy is old, but if he wants someone shooting threes, why not give Walker a call??? It's like a match made in heaven. <3

Toine, shoot some threes baby!
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2009/12/dantoni.jpg

Sure thing coach! I'll even shoot 4's. :bowdown: :bowdown:
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/VJ1bxzHHqEN9N0z0NQc9Og--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/AW4912.jpg

:roll: :roll:

This is seriously pathetic, I can't believe he won't adjust his ****ing system to accommodate a good low post player lol.

Derka
12-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Lakers were better off hiring me. For half the money, I'll say things a lot smarter than that.

gilalizard
12-20-2012, 11:44 PM
What a stupid waste of a great player's strengths.

It's not really D'Antoni's fault though. Anyone who payed just the tiniest bit of attention to D'Antoni's past knows he'll stubbornly try to force his system over molding it to his players' strengths.

The real source of the problem is Jim Buss, who hired a coach that insists on a a very specific system, but does not possess a roster for that system. Nor the time (Kobe needs to win now, Dwight may leave next year) to rebuild. D'Antoni needs a rebuilding team that will structure the team around his system, because he won't change it to suit existing personnel.

Lakers aren't going to win shit with D'Antoni and this roster (and Kobe's clock is ticking). But damn they do drama like no one else. :D

clipps
12-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Maybe Mike D'antoni hates the Lakers so much that he's purposely coaching the Lakers to the lottery.

SpecialQue
12-21-2012, 01:36 AM
I tried to be optimistic with D'Antoni, but this guy is seriously a fvcking idiot and it's going to be damn hard watching this team try to make the playoffs, let alone compete for a title. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Dwight bolted after this season.

clipps
12-21-2012, 03:20 AM
I tried to be optimistic with D'Antoni, but this guy is seriously a fvcking idiot and it's going to be damn hard watching this team try to make the playoffs, let alone compete for a title. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Dwight bolted after this season.

B.b.b.but they have Kobe,'Dwight, Pau, Nash and 16 rings.

BlueandGold
12-21-2012, 03:25 AM
so how is this coach not fired already?

next thing u know he's telling dwight not to block shots in the paint because it slows down the game :facepalm

red1
12-21-2012, 03:28 AM
:lol pau shooting threes is such a waste LMAO. D'antoni would make shaq shoot threes, every bigman looks like channing frye to him. only a matter of time before "dwight should be taking corner threes"

Clutch
12-21-2012, 06:32 AM
:lol pau shooting threes is such a waste LMAO. D'antoni would make shaq shoot threes, every bigman looks like channing frye to him. only a matter of time before "dwight should be taking corner threes"
Done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4O7_sOTl4