PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Basketball

jongib369
12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Most people say basketball was created in December of 1891, but we are going to take a look back at the version of

flipogb
12-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Kobe and Lebron would not be sacrificed to the gods , thats for sure

Pushxx
12-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Inb4 someone says it's just a bunch of short white guys from the 50s/60s.

owait

Psileas
12-20-2012, 07:23 PM
The guy in the 1st pic finger-rolls, and that's before Wilt. :bowdown:
What's his name, jongib369?

Mr Know It All
12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Wonder what Montezuma's PER was.

Micku
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM
I instantly think of The Road to El Dorado.

Talk about hardcore.

flipogb
12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
easy to tell who the MVP was back then, its the best guy on the team that isn't dead

Nash
12-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Inb4 someone says it's just a bunch of short white guys from the 50s/60s.

owait
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

lilgodfather1
12-20-2012, 09:25 PM
easy to tell who the MVP was back then, its the best guy on the team that isn't dead
Bravo sir, Bravo. :roll: :roll: :oldlol: :oldlol: :lol :lol :pimp:

Tmuston Beltics
12-20-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/rubber_tlachtli.jpg

lol they already had floppers back then

Colbertnation64
12-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Very little is actually known about the game. Any attempt at rules is just a guess.

Here are the things that we do know for sure:

Used a very heavy ball

You could only use your body and hips...not hands or feet.

Most agree that the "hoop" was the way to score points but we don't know how many is took to finish the game. Right now we have absolutely no information as to rules on scoring.

Sacrifice does seem to have a big part but there's not telling which team was sacrificed. Some believe the winning team may have been as an honor...but mesoamericans also enjoyed watching the game as a sport so killing the best team would be dumb.

Also, it seems treaties or wars may have been fought on the court. So instead of having a war to get <insert reason> it seems some states would actually play a game of the ball game.

Theoo
12-20-2012, 09:42 PM
we need to bring back sacrifice to the nba

SHAQisGOAT
12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Those unathletic mothafcks, I'm sure they're breakin those papper bones just due to a slight touch.

Nick Young
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
lebron would be styling on these midgets

jstern
12-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I think the being sacrifice is bullshit, because that's what happens when stories are passed down from people to people. It was the most popular game, meaning that a lot of people played it, and maybe one day somebody played for something really important, in the similar way on occasion someone might play for money.

If we had no media, in 3,000 years they might have said that we used to play basketball, and the losers had to fight a mountain lion, just because that Wilt story would confuse someone as the story gets told from person to person.

ralph_i_el
12-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I think the being sacrifice is bullshit, because that's what happens when stories are passed down from people to people. It was the most popular game, meaning that a lot of people played it, and maybe one day somebody played for something really important, in the similar way on occasion someone might play for money.

If we had no media, in 3,000 years they might have said that we used to play basketball, and the losers had to fight a mountain lion, just because that Wilt story would confuse someone as the story gets told from person to person.

that's how it is in my hood :confusedshrug:

Bandito
12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
So basketball was invented by mexicans? I wonder why they suck so much at their sport then?!

FireDavidKahn
12-20-2012, 11:22 PM
More like soccer than Basketball. You couldn't use your hands in the Aztec game.

solar.hands
12-20-2012, 11:33 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article/180_6-ancient-sports-too-awesome-modern-world/

@#6

KOBE143
12-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Weak era

bluechox2
12-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Weak era
They had to sacrifice their Kobe's and lebrons after the first game because of the Dwight's and wades on it:lol

Colbertnation64
12-21-2012, 01:10 AM

You need to educate yourself on the pre-columbian central and south american cultures, some crazy stuff going on there...

They did have media, it was the murals they made and the art they created.

Take the Moche for instance. They found pottery with very violent depictions of a sacrifice in which the loser of a contest(they would fight with swords intending to knock the helm of the other) would get their throat sliced open and their blood would be drunk by the winner. This was a sacrifice to the god of rain.

Sounds too crazy to be true right? Just a story?

That's what scholars believed too, but they came across a site that contained hundreds of skeletons. All separate by different layers of soil. After studying the soil, they determined they were killed around the time of rain. In the area they lived in you could go 30 years without any kind of rain. It started to become apparent that this was some sort of sacrifice to the gods for the rain.

So how did they die? They had an expert take a look at each skeleton and find out the cause of death. What did he found? Knife marks that went so deep into their throat it actually made a mark on the bone...

Profound
12-21-2012, 01:12 AM
I bet if they played in the league now they'd average 40 points a game on 70%fg,

I bet they played against slow and unathletic conquistadores.

d.bball.guy
12-21-2012, 02:14 AM
I just hope Stern does this to the league so there wouldn't be arguments of who the MVP is.

Mr. Jabbar
12-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Sacrifices were offered to godbe even then. Remember: godbe > time.

It also explains aztecs killer instinct, and their black mamba shaped stone temples :bowdown:

alwaysunny
12-21-2012, 02:35 AM
So basketball was invented by mexicans? I wonder why they suck so much at their sport then?!

Too much juan on juan ball

d.bball.guy
12-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Too much juan on juan ball
:lol

Nick Young
12-21-2012, 09:59 AM
You need to educate yourself on the pre-columbian central and south american cultures, some crazy stuff going on there...

Take the Moche for instance. They found pottery with very violent depictions of a sacrifice in which the loser of a contest(they would fight with swords intending to knock the helm of the other) would get their throat sliced open and their blood would be drunk by the winner. This was a sacrifice to the god of rain.

That's what scholars believed too, but they came across a site that contained hundreds of skeletons. All separate by different layers of soil. After studying the soil, they determined they were killed around the time of rain. In the area they lived in you could go 30 years without any kind of rain. It started to become apparent that this was some sort of sacrifice to the gods for the rain.

So how did they die? They had an expert take a look at each skeleton and find out the cause of death. What did he found? Knife marks that went so deep into their throat it actually made a mark on the bone...
what a dumbass society, everytime someone reveals themselves as talented or works their way to the top of the athletic spectrum-sacrifice them to the gods. No wonder Cortez shit on the entire continent with only 100 guys.:banghead:

Nick Young
12-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Sacrifices were offered to godbe even then. Remember: godbe > time.

It also explains aztecs killer instinct, and their black mamba shaped stone temples :bowdown:
They knew what was coming:bowdown:

LEFT4DEAD
12-21-2012, 10:24 AM
we need to bring back sacrifice to the nba
Yeah, of course, how we didnt figure it out before? Theoo tha gawd :cheers:

pauk
12-21-2012, 02:18 PM
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/Tlachtli_zpsf0e51910.png

jongib369
12-21-2012, 05:10 PM
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/Tlachtli_zpsf0e51910.png
HAHA! Rep

jstern
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Like I said, I'm sure sacrifices happened, but to insinuate that a popular game was many times played to the death is ignorant by the people who re create the history. It's like saying that tomorrow if I go play basketball with my friend, the one who loses is going to happy kill, or let someone else decapitate him as a sacrifice to the god. Society just doesn't work that way, these people would'nt last.

Nick Young
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Like I said, I'm sure sacrifices happened, but to insinuate that a popular game was many times played to the death is ignorant by the people who re create the history. It's like saying that tomorrow if I go play basketball with my friend, the one who loses is going to happy kill, or let someone else decapitate him as a sacrifice to the god. Society just doesn't work that way, these people would'nt last.
That's part of the reason, combined with drought, that drove the Mayans to their own extinction.

IGotACoolStory
12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Looks like that shit from firefly. :confusedshrug:

jlip
12-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Wonder what Montezuma's PER was.
:oldlol:
Post of the year.

rhowen4
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Looks like that shit from firefly. :confusedshrug:oh my god... what could it be? we're all doomed! who's flying this thing?!

BlitzForce
12-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Dunking was awesome back then :bowdown:

http://www.ranchogordo.net/mexico/ChichenItza/ball%20courtb.jpg

hon
12-22-2012, 01:21 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1172467.1349215204!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/mitch2s-3-web.jpg

http://binaryapi.ap.org/8b46a0b7acc940da9e76e7191ea81172/460x.jpg

just_NONchalant
12-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Religion