PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Up for Basketball?

L3B120N J4M35
12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
My arms are pretty small, so i want to get bigger for basketball. I am pretty toned but i want em bigger. so I'm currently doing p90x (only 3 days a week; Chest & Back Monday, Shoulders & Arms Wednesday, Legs & Back Friday whilst trying to eat a lot) removing all the cardio stuff considering im trying to bulk up. is that gonna help? any tips for bulking either?

SourPatchKids
12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I too want more knowledge on this cause knowledge is power.

bmulls
12-22-2012, 12:23 AM
P90x isn't gonna get you any appreciable amount of muscle mass unless you were a complete twig beforehand, even then there are much better ways to put on mass. Lift heavy weights and eat more. Also don't stop doing cardio, just eat more.

Source: I'm swole as fck

bdreason
12-22-2012, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't worry about bulking up. I mean, there's nothing wrong with getting stronger, but you're better of focusing on plyometric training IMO.

Burgz V2
12-22-2012, 06:30 AM
i wouldn't do P90x if i were you, you might end up more muscular but not necessarily stronger.

putting on good weight for basketball is tough because basketball is a sport that causes us to lose a relatively large % of your body mass (1-2%) every time we play. You can be in the gym all you want, at the end of the day its what you are eating. I know that sounds very clich

ILLsmak
12-23-2012, 04:43 AM
The real question is WHY do you want to bulk up for bball?

What are you hoping to gain, how is it going to affect your game positively and negatively?

How much stronger do you think you can get?

Really, though... work on your mental toughness. I don't even know if it's possible, but mental toughness and love of contact mean more than strength.
I've played against big dudes... got stuck against them on a break or on a mismatch in the post, and they expect you to roll over. In their life just being big as **** mean they can go in for a lay up on a break and people move out of the way. But no, you need to NOT move out of the way. Practice boxing people out... Push them with your lower body, put your forearm into their side... etc.

In bball a lot of strength is about technique. Doing what you can. Sure, if you are gonna fight with people then maybe strength will matter, but if everyone is not on some crazy shit, you can get in there and bang with anyone no matter what size you are.

I imagine you are young; you'll fill out. I lifted for awhile seriously... and I saw some gains, but mostly it was confidence. now that I'm older, I don't need any more confidence. I'll bang with anyone. And most people don't like that. Most people get upset. Even in the NBA and NCAA people are afraid of contact. That's why guys like Reggie Evans who are just bruisers can get work.

-Smak

Pushxx
12-23-2012, 04:47 AM
I dunno. I can run circles around myself from when I was younger due to lifting weights.

You lose nothing by lifting regularly. Just focus entirely on compound movements.

NotYetGreat
12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
My arms are pretty small, so i want to get bigger for basketball. I am pretty toned but i want em bigger. so I'm currently doing p90x (only 3 days a week; Chest & Back Monday, Shoulders & Arms Wednesday, Legs & Back Friday whilst trying to eat a lot) removing all the cardio stuff considering im trying to bulk up. is that gonna help? any tips for bulking either?

You could do away with the splits and isolation movements. A program built around the Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press, and Chin-Up (or any of its variations) will do wonders for you. The easiest thing to remember with regards to training for muscle mass is Time Under Tension. However, I think it should actually be Time Under Maximal/Sub-Maximal Tension. In other words, get a pump... With a heavy weight. Of course, make sure you are lifting with proper form and the weights aren't too heavy for you. Remember though, as an athlete, you also need to get stronger, so you have to add plates to the bar when you can.

There's more than enough information out there actually if you look and sift through well enough. Keep in mind though that IF you're playing ball at a competitive level, you won't want your muscle-building efforts to interfere with your sport/skill practice.

Dictator
12-23-2012, 06:34 PM
If you're a shooter, don't bulk up.
If you're a driver, bulk up.

Money 23
12-24-2012, 03:20 PM
If you're a driver, bulk up.
And lose the speed in order to drive? No.

Get stronger for bball, but don't bulk up unless you're a big man.

Like someone else said, mental toughness, no fear of contact will manifest itself into a "stronger" player.

Rake2204
12-25-2012, 01:51 AM

Like someone else said, mental toughness, no fear of contact will manifest itself into a "stronger" player.I think every person's situation is unique but more times than not, I'd agree with what you said. I think it's always cool to look to improve strength, but I don't always equate flat out "bulk" with improving in basketball.

In truth, I'm 6'3'' 170 pounds and my lack of bulk has most often not been a detriment in any regard to my game. As you said, it's easier than people think to counteract a non-bulked frame with fearless aggression when attacking the basket. Basketball isn't always about raw strength. It's often about situational utilization of aggression, which can come from people of any size.

If someone's making a home in the post, or looking to make a real serious move in high level basketball (Division II or I college or mid-level pro ball and above) I think there will probably be a sharper emphasis on perhaps... bulk improvement. For most everyone else, I'm not sure I'd consider it a priority.

eliteballer
12-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Bulk up for basketball?

If you want to destroy your knees, sure.

01amberfirewv
12-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I think your better off doing push pull or full body splits for basketball.

Ex,

Monday bench press, barbell row.

Tuesday, squats still leg dead lifts

Wed, off

Thursday, overhead press, pull ups

Friday core work,

L3B120N J4M35
12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks. I'm 15 years old, 5'7 and 121 lbs. I'm not too serious for basketball but i wanna look bigger and still maintain in shape for basketball

hamworld05
02-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Like someone else said, mental toughness, no fear of contact will manifest itself into a "stronger" player.

I'm with Money. Very few athletes' main problem is "lack of size". Actually, if the only issue with your game is "lack of size", you're probably pretty good already i.e Isaiah Thomas/Ty Lawson...

Improving relative strength is probably the most important thing here.

stevieming
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
What position do you play? If you're guard, then there are more important physical aspects to improve then bulking up.

Such as explosiveness, and fitness...no sense getting big when in the last few minutes of the games you're gassed and can't hit a hot.

MtMutombo
02-07-2013, 06:25 AM
It's up to you, but those guys are right - bulking up will slow you down. P90x is a full body work out and will have you looking more like a male model than bulkier.
At that age, I'd generally advise you to work your ass off on fundamentals and you will find your playing niche.

L3B120N J4M35
02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
thanks guys. i appreciate it. I'mma lift weights and stuff but not "bulk up." any tips?

hamworld05
02-08-2013, 01:46 AM
thanks guys. i appreciate it. I'mma lift weights and stuff but not "bulk up." any tips?

Don't neglect pullups. I've seen too many skinny ballers struggling to do pullups and it's depressing, because I know they'd be faster if they got their back strength up.

Better to be too good at pullups then not good enough, haha!

stevieming
02-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Don't neglect pullups. I've seen too many skinny ballers struggling to do pullups and it's depressing, because I know they'd be faster if they got their back strength up.

Better to be too good at pullups then not good enough, haha!

I didn't know that, pullups make you faster??? Thought it was just upperbody strength.

I am gonna google that...interesting, as I could do with a bit more acceleration.

01amberfirewv
02-08-2013, 08:36 AM
I didn't know that, pullups make you faster??? Thought it was just upperbody strength.

I am gonna google that...interesting, as I could do with a bit more acceleration.

Strength makes you faster. I'm not sure why some people still believe that muscle makes you slower, its just doesn't. Look at sprinters, they are always muscular. If your doing it right weight training will only help.

hamworld05
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM

It ain't magical, but I remember being HORRIBLE at pullups(couldn't do 1). No matter how hard I worked, I couldn't keep up with the other guys in terms of conditioning and speed. I'm pretty sure there was a connection. It's not the only connection, but that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

I would hope since then, life is a bit easier on the court...

Nanners
02-09-2013, 05:33 AM

If you do lift weights, take it easy. you dont want to overdo it on weights at age 15 when your body is still growing.

Working out my upper body helped my bball game a lot. I was kind of skinny/scrawney growing up, once I gained arm, shoulder and back muscles the main thing I noticed in terms of my basketball game was how much easier I could finish with contact. People could still push me in the air, but it became much easier to maintain my momentum and balance, and therefore easier to take fouls and finish shots inside. I think it also helped to improve my range on my shot, or at least it allowed me to increase my range without sacrificing my shooting form.

That said, my advice is take it slow at first and dont get too focused on working on particular muscles - ie biceps or abs or whatever. If you are working out for the sake of basketball, legs should be at least 50% of your workouts. Also, you dont want to neglect your back and core muscles. One thing that helped me was to use workouts that target multiple muscle groups at once. Pushups and pullups are excellent and free. I also recommend swimming, like hardcore swimming. If you have access to a pool, go swimming and swim good and hard for like 30min-1hr, great workout for your p90x offdays.

Also, make sure to eat right and drink plenty of water. Get a blender and drink a protein + other nutrient shake daily and you will be guaranteed to start bulking up. All you need for a great shake is a scoop of protein powder, 8 oz of orange juice, a bit of yogurt, and then whatever random fruits and vegetables happen to be in the fridge.

Money 23
02-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Strength makes you faster. I'm not sure why some people still believe that muscle makes you slower, its just doesn't. Look at sprinters, they are always muscular. If your doing it right weight training will only help.
Adding strength is different than bulking up. Bulking up absolutely slows you down. What planet are you from? The goal for basketball is to be streamlined. Strong core is really important.

nathanjizzle
02-10-2013, 12:03 AM
yes bulk up for basketball, at the same time always develop your skills if you want to be taken seriuosly against the big boys

L3B120N J4M35
02-10-2013, 01:01 AM
im getting mixed responses from you guys haha

01amberfirewv
02-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Adding strength is different than bulking up. Bulking up absolutely slows you down. What planet are you from? The goal for basketball is to be streamlined. Strong core is really important.

You talking about bulking up off of barbells or big mac's. If your adding muscle the right way it takes a lot of time. Your not going to spend a few months in the gym and come out looking like Jay Cuttler. If done the right way it'll only help.

hamworld05
02-11-2013, 05:40 AM

when you have a 40 inch vertical, you're going to be dangerous on the court no matter how "skinny" you think you are.

Money 23
02-11-2013, 08:13 AM
You talking about bulking up off of barbells or big mac's. If your adding muscle the right way it takes a lot of time. Your not going to spend a few months in the gym and come out looking like Jay Cuttler. If done the right way it'll only help.
Muscle weighs more than fat. There is no point at all in being beefy even off barbells for basketball.

It's a game predicated on quickness, speed, versatility and losing a defender as quickly as possible. If he's not a low block guy, making yourself bulkier and slower is a bad option. Especially top heavy bulk. Quick way to ruin your knees and ankles in a sport that requires quick cuts and change of direction.

What guards or forwards do you see that are bulky? Bball players are streamlined. This isn't football. It's not run straight forward and be big enough to have muscle as padding to take physical punishment.

Just stop giving advice.

Burgz V2
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM

im gonna keep it simple for you.

get stronger. that's it. dont sacrifice performance just to get "big". Size is not always a function of strength, I know a lot of skinnier players who are strong as hell. By the same token, I know a lot of big dudes who are fast as hell.

You can workout but if your performance suffers you are probably not doing workouts that are customized to your playing ability or goals as a player. forget the whole getting big will make you slower and all that, that's the wrong thought process in the first place. Do the right workouts and you will get stronger without sacrificing performance.

01amberfirewv
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Muscle weighs more than fat. There is no point at all in being beefy even off barbells for basketball.

It's a game predicated on quickness, speed, versatility and losing a defender as quickly as possible. If he's not a low block guy, making yourself bulkier and slower is a bad option. Especially top heavy bulk. Quick way to ruin your knees and ankles in a sport that requires quick cuts and change of direction.

What guards or forwards do you see that are bulky? Bball players are streamlined. This isn't football. It's not run straight forward and be big enough to have muscle as padding to take physical punishment.

Just stop giving advice.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9821/graham.jpg

http://www.nba.com/knicks/photos/mason150.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/329138/a_malone_i_medium.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W1uleNPjAWw/T61BaQfvrAI/AAAAAAAAcWk/l7C2tu96tPI/s400/1.jpg

http://www.incomediary.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/jordan-weight-lifting.jpg

http://theredshirtchrislehman.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/lebron-james.jpg

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/nate-muscle.jpeg

Need more?

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top-50-most-jacked-nba-basketball-players-arcl-2671.html

again I would never suggest that an athlete become a bodybuilder (thought it's been done)

[img]http://forum.a1supplements.com/images/stories/PhilHeath.jpg[img]

I'm just saying hitting the weights can be beneficial.

01amberfirewv
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
im gonna keep it simple for you.

get stronger. that's it. dont sacrifice performance just to get "big". Size is not always a function of strength, I know a lot of skinnier players who are strong as hell. By the same token, I know a lot of big dudes who are fast as hell.

You can workout but if your performance suffers you are probably not doing workouts that are customized to your playing ability or goals as a player. forget the whole getting big will make you slower and all that, that's the wrong thought process in the first place. Do the right workouts and you will get stronger without sacrificing performance.

This is key, I have my players do full body splits instead of working body parts.

Some of the best workouts are here

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_stre ngth/wsfsb_appreciation_society

Burgz V2
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
This is key, I have my players do full body splits instead of working body parts.

Some of the best workouts are here

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_stre ngth/wsfsb_appreciation_society

im using this RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact. its AWESOME for basketball players you really can't get too big if you mix up your workouts every week and your strength goes up like CRAZY in the first month

01amberfirewv
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
im using this RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact. its AWESOME for basketball players you really can't get too big if you mix up your workouts every week and your strength goes up like CRAZY in the first month

They also have a workout to increase your vertical that's as good or better than anything else out there including jump manual.

You hit on my other point as well. I would say some of the guys I posted have had some extra pharmaceutical help to add muscle and all of them have nutritionist to monitor their diets and sleep. Your not going to get huge by just lifting weights. It takes a lots of time and eating to get big. The average athlete can only put on 5-10 pounds of muscle in a year and that's with lots of eating and rest. If your playing ball your not getting enough rest to come close to that

B-Low
02-13-2013, 04:19 PM
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9821/graham.jpg

Mother of pearl!!

01amberfirewv
02-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Mother of pearl!!

Yeah, he could probably be a competitive bodybuilder if his basketball career doesn't work out

Burgz V2
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Yeah, he could probably be a competitive bodybuilder if his basketball career doesn't work out

Joey Graham? im pretty sure it already didn't work out :roll:

Bandito
03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't recommend you to stop cardio if you're trying to bulk up because you might get a gut if you're taking supplements. Just keep cardio for your off days when you're not lifiting.