PDA

View Full Version : Will Blake Griffin ever be as good as Dirk Nowitzki?

hawkfan
12-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Will Blake Griffin ever be as good as Dirk Nowitzki?

Purch
12-25-2012, 12:35 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

EnoughSaid
12-25-2012, 12:38 PM
A top 20 player of all time? No, I don't think so. :facepalm :oldlol:

Mirko Cro Cop
12-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Totally different styles, I can't see Blake's skillset and finesse game ever coming to par with that of Dirk's....ever but you never know..:confusedshrug:

Dirk's one of the greatest of all time, 2nd-3rd best PF ever, just don't think Griffin is that good or will ever be.

avonbarksdale
12-25-2012, 12:45 PM
no

jimmy77x
12-25-2012, 12:46 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

noob cake
12-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Monkeyball vs greatest shooting PF?

:biggums:

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Way to early to tell. Probably not, for now.

millwad
12-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Ehm, NEVER..

B-hoop
12-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Completely different skill set so Blake will never be as good as Dirk in some things. But if you want to know if Blake will ever have the same impact as Dirk, i'd say its possible.

red1
12-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Mvp and finals mvp while leading one of the best teams in a highly competetive conference year in and year out? Probably not

Clippersfan86
12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
How can a low IQ player who does nothing but dunk be in the conversation with the mighty Dirkules when he keeps declining rapidly every year. Dirk won multiple championships and was the best PF every year of his career.

ralph_i_el
12-25-2012, 02:20 PM
How can a low IQ player who does nothing but dunk be in the conversation with the mighty Dirkules when he keeps declining rapidly every year. Dirk won multiple championships and was the best PF every year of his career.
:wtf:

Heavincent
12-25-2012, 02:23 PM
:roll:

TheMarkMadsen
12-25-2012, 02:31 PM

DAT butthurt :bowdown:

creepingdeath
12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs5/2440405_o.gif

JohnWall2
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
:lol

Sakkreth
12-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Joke thread lol.

boxclever
12-25-2012, 03:37 PM
DAT butthurt :bowdown:
:lol

He's soooo mad right now:oldlol:

KyrieTheFuture
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Do people seriously think Dirk is the second or third best PF ever?

Jailblazers7
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
It's not an insult to Blake to say he will never be as good as Dirk tho. He could tho but I just don't see Blake having the same kind of longevity.

Pacers4ever
12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
no and if this was asked before dirk won his fmvp people would say that's a pretty low cieling

elementally morale
Why not? He is a better in-game dunker already... so...

Legends66NBA7

Nothing wrong with seriously believing that.

:confusedshrug:

Jailblazers7
12-25-2012, 03:46 PM

He's right behind Duncan, Malone, and Barkley all-time so it wouldn't be that big a stretch for someone to have him at 3.

LONGTIME
12-25-2012, 03:55 PM

http://i.imgur.com/IJrc4.gif

Floppy
12-25-2012, 03:56 PM
He's right behind Duncan, Malone, and Barkley all-time so it wouldn't be that big a stretch for someone to have him at 3.
KG says konichi wa.

Fudge
12-25-2012, 03:58 PM
:oldlol:

Jailblazers7
12-25-2012, 04:00 PM
KG says konichi wa.

Oops, yeah he slipped my mind. Still Dirk has an argument when comparing the top 4-5 PF of all-time.

Rubio2Gasol
12-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Something about Dirk. I think his method of scoring is perhaps the most nuanced and influential of any power forward in history. He's that triple threat...but noone can block his shot.

His stats are pale compared to the other great power forwards...but you can't deny his influence.

bdreason
12-25-2012, 04:06 PM
I think he has a good shot if his game continues to develop. Reminds me a bit of a young Karl Malone.

TMacsOneGoodEye
12-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Probably not, but that's only because Dirk had an amazing career and is already a top 20 player.

Not having as good a career as Dirk Nowitzki should never be used as a basis for someone not being good. The opposite, really. If you're even in the discussion, you're doing something right.

Clippersfan86
12-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Oops, yeah he slipped my mind. Still Dirk has an argument when comparing the top 4-5 PF of all-time.

How did Dirk's career look after 2 seasons? Did you think he would be so good?

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Dirk has an argument from 2-6 PF of all-time if were considering everything from career and player.

Whoah10115
12-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Dirk is locked right in as the 5th best PF ever. Bob Petit is on the list but I think Nowitzki is clearly ahead. Especially Elvin Hayes. I don't really see how anyone thinks Nowitzki was ever as good as Barkley, Malone, Duncan, Garnett. Those were all better players with more than enough longevity and success. They were better players.

It's hard to predict a guy will be top 5 ever in his position, when he's only in his 3rd year...tho I could understand if someone sees that potential in Griffin. One hell of an age for PF's tho.

BG32-KD35
12-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Probably not, but that's only because Dirk had an amazing career and is already a top 20 player.

Not having as good a career as Dirk Nowitzki should never be used as a basis for someone not being good. The opposite, really. If you're even in the discussion, you're doing something right.

Don't think he will, but yeh he must be doing well to be compared to dirk

TheBigVeto
12-25-2012, 05:39 PM
No. Dirk is 2nd GOAT PF. Only Duncan is better than him.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't really see how anyone thinks Nowitzki was ever as good as Barkley, Malone, Duncan, Garnett. Those were all better players with more than enough longevity and success. They were better players.

LemonMan
12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
:roll:

talkingconch
12-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Nope

Whoah10115
12-25-2012, 06:24 PM

Dirk is definitely not as good as Karl Malone. Not at all and I can't imagine there are many who think so.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Dirk is definitely not as good as Karl Malone. Not at all and I can't imagine there are many who think so.

Not as good at what exactly ? Defense ? Okay... and what else ?

Dirk is a better offensive player, much more versatile, and better in the clutch. Malone's all-around game doesn't give him a full out edge, IMO. It's very close between them.

I could see if someone took Garnett because of his defensive edge and Barkley for his more effective play and being the best rebounder of the group. I don't see the case with Malone. I don't even think there's much that is separating Malone and Elvin Hayes as players either, outside of one getting to playing with one of the best pure point guards for 15+ seasons as starters.

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Dirk is better than Karl Malone.

DirkNowitzki41
12-25-2012, 07:29 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

alenleomessi
12-25-2012, 07:30 PM
he is already better right now

career wise, he has the potential for sure

The Nets
12-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Blake Griffin had a way better rookie season, but then he keeps declining. Dirk started slow but continued to improve until he reached his peak at around 27-30 years old. At this current trend, theres no way for Blake Griffin to ever be as good as Dirk unless he aint declining any longer.

Clippersfan86
12-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Dirk is a better offensive player, much more versatile, and better in the clutch. Malone's all-around game doesn't give him a full out edge, IMO. It's very close between them.

I could see if someone took Garnett because of his defensive edge and Barkley for his more effective play and being the best rebounder of the group. I don't see the case with Malone. I don't even think there's much that is separating Malone and Elvin Hayes as players either, outside of one getting to playing with one of the best pure point guards for 15+ seasons as starters.

Wtf? Malone averaged 28 ppg prettt much his entire peak and is number two on the all time scoring list. He's a better scorer, rebounder, defender and passer than Dirk. It's crazy how one minute Dirk isn't the best PF for his decade and has an epic playoff run and now has a case for top 3 PF all time? Dirk isn't close to Malone, period.

Ikill
12-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Blake Griffin had a way better rookie season, but then he keeps declining. Dirk started slow but continued to improve until he reached his peak at around 27-30 years old. At this current trend, theres no way for Blake Griffin to ever be as good as Dirk unless he aint declining any longer.
Blake Griffin improved in every area of his game in his second year other than free throw shooting. He was also playing with completely different in a lockout season. Another reason people think Blake was better in his rookie year was because of how hot he got in January if you take out that month Blake was clearly better in his second year. This year he's made improvement again but has also gotten his free throw shooting back. This is the best basketball he is playing in his career his overall numbers are down because of the early injury and not playing a lot of minutes.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 08:10 PM
It's crazy how one minute Dirk isn't the best PF for his decade and has an epic playoff run and now has a case for top 3 PF all time? Dirk isn't close to Malone, period.

We were talking about them as players, not careers.

By the way, that epic playoff run Dirk did is something Malone couldn't ever dream of doing for 19 straight years in the playoffs. So yeah, I'm more than happy to say Dirk has a case and it being close. Dirk probably won't catch Malone's longevity, but who really can ?

Give me Dirk anytime to build a team and for a playoff run over Malone, if given those 2 as an option.

Clippersfan86
12-25-2012, 08:16 PM
We were talking about them as players, not careers.

By the way, that epic playoff run Dirk did is something Malone couldn't ever dream of doing for 19 straight years in the playoffs. So yeah, I'm more than happy to say Dirk has a case and it being close. Dirk probably won't catch Malone's longevity, but who really can ?

Give me Dirk anytime to build a team and for a playoff run over Malone, if given those 2 as an option.

You need to understand something. Barkley and Malone have been considered the undisputed GOAT PF's for a long time if you count Duncan as a C where he should be. If we factor in Duncan though Dirk has no case over KG, Duncan, Barkley or Malone as the better player. If he had 4 rings maybe but 1 ring isn't enough to elevate him. People keep pushing him ahead without him having to do anything else. Mavs weren't carried by Dirk despite what people think. Mark Cuban has always surrounded him by good talent hence the constant 50 win seasons.

Dirk could be THE greatest scoring PF ever which he isn't and still wouldn't have a case for top 3. He has somewhat of a case against KG but that would make him 4th at absolute best and nowhere near Malone.

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Wtf? Malone averaged 28 ppg prettt much his entire peak and is number two on the all time scoring list. He's a better scorer, rebounder, defender and passer than Dirk. It's crazy how one minute Dirk isn't the best PF for his decade and has an epic playoff run and now has a case for top 3 PF all time? Dirk isn't close to Malone, period.

:wtf:, oh yeah I forgot you use synergy sports instead of the actual game to judge players.

creepingdeath
12-25-2012, 08:30 PM
You need to understand something. Barkley and Malone have been considered the undisputed GOAT PF's for a long time if you count Duncan as a C where he should be. If we factor in Duncan though Dirk has no case over KG, Duncan, Barkley or Malone as the better player. If he had 4 rings maybe but 1 ring isn't enough to elevate him. People keep pushing him ahead without him having to do anything else. Mavs weren't carried by Dirk despite what people think. Mark Cuban has always surrounded him by good talent hence the constant 50 win seasons.

Dirk could be THE greatest scoring PF ever which he isn't and still wouldn't have a case for top 3. He has somewhat of a case against KG but that would make him 4th at absolute best and nowhere near Malone.
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs7/2439575_o.gif
This is Dirk playing the guitar to your sad song of butthurtness

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 08:32 PM
ClippersFan86 thinks mathematical equations (synergy sports) are the way basketball works, not actually playing and see what is happening on the court. Don't feed the troll. Supposedly Blake Griffin is a better defender than LeBron James because he is higher on the list in terms of their logic.

IGotACoolStory
12-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Lettuce be cereal on Karl Malone.

People are going to underrated him because of two things:

1) Spent nearly all of his career with the John Stockton. Who carried whom more?
2) He was a choker.

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 08:37 PM

1) Spent nearly all of his career with the John Stockton. Who carried whom more?
2) He was a choker.

and he never won anytihng.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 08:44 PM

I consider Duncan a PF. Duncan is clearly the GOAT PF.

And if I wanted to put everything relative to era and going by you saying Barkley and Malone were considered the best PF's at their position in some periods of time... then I've got to put Bob Pettit second.

2 MVP's (first player to do that in NBA history), 10 straight All-NBA First teams (second player to do that) and 11 overall, 2 scoring titles, 3rd all-time rebounding average, won a title as the lead man, and arguably was the player of the decade (depending how much you respect the 50's era)... not just the PF position, the best player.

Then you have Garnett, Barkley, Malone, and Nowitzki. I don't care where you rank them. Barkley is best overall talent and possibly the highest peak. Garnett the best defensive player. Malone has the longevity. Nowitzki is best overall offensive player.

All of them were the best PF or undisputed for some periods of time. Garnett was the shortest, just in 04. Barkley had the longest stretch 87-95. Malone after that from 96-99. Dirk was the best from 06 and 09-11.

Though, I get what your saying with Malone's career over Dirk. I wouldn't disagree with it either.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 08:47 PM

2) He was a choker.

Karl Malone isn't underrated at all. People actually put Duncan as a center to give him GOAT PF status. :oldlol:

More like most overrated of all-time.

Stockton is pretty overrated too, though.

Whoah10115
12-25-2012, 08:50 PM

Malone is a better offensive player. You could argue that Dirk is a better scorer, but I wouldn't argue it. Malone was a smarter player, ran the floor better than anybody, was miles ahead as a passer and facilitator of the offense. I think there's hardly anything Dirk does better than Malone. He could create his own shot off the dribble better and he's the better shooter. I don't really think there's much else he does better.

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Malone is a better offensive player. You could argue that Dirk is a better scorer, but I wouldn't argue it. Malone was a smarter player, ran the floor better than anybody, was miles ahead as a passer and facilitator of the offense. I think there's hardly anything Dirk does better than Malone. He could create his own shot off the dribble better and he's the better shooter. I don't really think there's much else he does better.

Dirk single handedly took over almost every single game in the playoffs and won a championship. Something Malone never could do.

Whoah10115
12-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Dirk single handedly took over almost every single game in the playoffs and won a championship. Something Malone never could do.

He didn't have to do it to have more impact.

It's very plausible that Malone can carry that Dallas team in 2011. The style would be different but he could. Dirk is not gonna carry any team in the 90's to a title.

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 09:04 PM

It's very plausible that Malone can carry that Dallas team in 2011. The style would be different but he could. Dirk is not gonna carry any team in the 90's to a title.

How do you know this? Do you have the cure for cancer as well?

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM

I just don't see Malone as a better scorer. He's probably a better version of Elvin Hayes as a scorer and player and that's about it. The other part is John Stockton and he played with him for 15+ years as a starter. I really could see Dirk/Stockton pick and roll doing similar if not more damage. Dirk literally is a much bigger threat on offense and can beat you in much more ways, especially in the clutch. The playoffs even back this up.

To Malone's credit, he did have some good playoff runs. But yeah, the fact he would choke in the Finals and in other critical games obviously erases that. Malone had 19 years (legit 17 years as the main guy) to lead a team to the title and never did it, which stings his legacy even more.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Based on what ? What version of Malone ? 97 Malone ?

As for the 90's... depends on what team he's on to have a legit shot at a title.

Clippersfan86
12-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Legends I don't think Dork surpassed KG or Duncan till 09 or 10 at the earliest. Definitely not 06.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Legends I don't think Dork surpassed KG or Duncan till 09 or 10 at the earliest. Definitely not 06.

You're right, I think it's actually debatable that year between Dirk and Duncan, but I do think Duncan would probably get the edge there. I thought he was better than Garnett, though.

And 2009 definitely, with Garnett's injury and Duncan's decline.

atljonesbro
12-25-2012, 09:57 PM

So it's ok when 80s/90s players are chokers because they are dietys on this forum, but when LeBron chokes WOAH WOAH DROP THE THUNDER HE SUCKS WORST EVER LMAO WHAT A JOKE.

I mean honestly who could ever imagine Karl Malone doing what Dirk did in 2011 even in a dream? Dirk>Malone. WAY more impact on his team clearly. He is the one with the championship and is the one who has always had crappy teams and carried the Mavericks.

Then we throw championships out the window when a current player has more than he 80s/90s player, now it's all about skill. But if the 80s/90s player has more ships we're gonna milk that back to the farm.

TheMarkMadsen
12-25-2012, 10:00 PM
So it's ok when 80s/90s players are chokers because they are dietys on this forum, but when LeBron chokes WOAH WOAH DROP THE THUNDER HE SUCKS WORST EVER LMAO WHAT A JOKE.

I mean honestly who could ever imagine Karl Malone doing what Dirk did in 2010 even in a dream? Dirk>Malone. WAY more impact on his team clearly. He is the one with the championship and is the one who has always had crappy teams and carried the Mavericks.

Then we throw championships out the window when a current player has more than he 80s/90s player, now it's all about skill. But if the 80s/90s player has more ships we're gonna milk that back to the farm.

It's called hypocrisy..

Welcome to ISH

brandonislegend
12-25-2012, 10:02 PM

I mean honestly who could ever imagine Karl Malone doing what Dirk did in 2010 even in a dream? Dirk>Malone. WAY more impact on his team clearly. He is the one with the championship and is the one who has always had crappy teams and carried the Mavericks.

I already said this and its the truth.

Legends66NBA7
12-25-2012, 11:20 PM

I think it that has more to do with who hates LeBron. How many people on this forum right now have the time to hate on players they didn't watch play or aren't relevant anymore.

It's about context out of all those championships. Ignore people with agendas of the past and present.

Whoah10115
12-26-2012, 02:24 AM
How do you know this? Do you have the cure for cancer as well?

We're basing this on what we've seen, right? If you put Dirk on those Jazz teams, do they beat the Bulls? No.

Based on what ? What version of Malone ? 97 Malone ?

As for the 90's... depends on what team he's on to have a legit shot at a title.

Replace Malone with Dirk.

I mean honestly who could ever imagine Karl Malone doing what Dirk did in 2011 even in a dream? Dirk>Malone. WAY more impact on his team clearly. He is the one with the championship and is the one who has always had crappy teams and carried the Mavericks.

This doesn't apply to me.

Do I think Malone would have done with Dirk did in 2011? No. But I also think he'd be more dominant throughout the game. Malone was always a great post player. He just became a dominant one in the early to mid 90's. I think he'd have more impact throughout the game and that his team would be even stronger...Dirk had a magical run and he played like a monster. There's no argument there. But Dirk is not better than Malone.

The Nets
12-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Blake Griffin improved in every area of his game in his second year other than free throw shooting. He was also playing with completely different in a lockout season. Another reason people think Blake was better in his rookie year was because of how hot he got in January if you take out that month Blake was clearly better in his second year. This year he's made improvement again but has also gotten his free throw shooting back. This is the best basketball he is playing in his career his overall numbers are down because of the early injury and not playing a lot of minutes.

Rookie Season: 22/12
Sophomore Season: 20/10
This Season: 18/8
Next Season: 16/6
And the trend continues...

You figure.

dgnr8
12-26-2012, 04:59 AM

MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS?? DEMN..

Whoah10115
12-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Rookie Season: 22/12
Sophomore Season: 20/10
This Season: 18/8
Next Season: 16/6
And the trend continues...

You figure.

Stats...his game has improved in every single area. Every single area.

Rubio2Gasol
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
On the Dirk - Malone argument.

Malone is a better player, much better defender, passer, finisher. That being said I think Dirk's unique method of scoring and what he can do to effect the game as a scorer is worth much more if I'm stating a team. The guy is a 7 ft tall and has everything in the triple threat and most things in the post.

Unprecedented full stop.

So I would take him, even over better guys if given the choice.

Whoah10115
12-26-2012, 05:15 PM
On the Dirk - Malone argument.

Malone is a better player, much better defender, passer, finisher. That being said I think Dirk's unique method of scoring and what he can do to effect the game as a scorer is worth much more if I'm stating a team. The guy is a 7 ft tall and has everything in the triple threat and most things in the post.

Unprecedented full stop.

So I would take him, even over better guys if given the choice.

I think a lot of people are failing to comprehend the difference. I would start with the better player, always (assuming I didn't hate him). But I also want to max out and would hope that I could take that risky approach and be able to get it right.

But it's like picking a center to start a team...some people do it because it's easier to build around and because there are fewer of those to come around. And it's understandable.

kenny817
12-26-2012, 05:21 PM

welp

kenny817
12-26-2012, 05:26 PM

ROTFLMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Whoah10115
12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
ROTFLMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oooooooh...a Mavericks fan, ay? Shoot. Thank you for the contribution.

knickswin
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
without reading this thread, I'm going to guess it's 6 pages of people arguing with clippersfan ...

boxclever
12-26-2012, 05:39 PM
This thread only serves to illustrate how underrated Dirk is, or at least was

Blake is good but has no business being in the same discussion with Malone, Dirk, Timmy and the other all time great PFs.

Clippersfan86
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
without reading this thread, I'm going to guess it's 6 pages of people arguing with clippersfan ...

Actually I posted like once or twice in a sarcastic way. I think it's funny that lately to troll Griffin people make preposterous threads and people rip him apart and fall for it. Like comparing CP3+Griffin to Stockton+Malone the other day when they only have one year together. I can say Griffin has more upside than Dirk ever did and a much better 3 year start to his career than Dirk did so it's incredibly ignorant to guarantee that he can never get to Dirk or these other all time great PF's level.

TheFastOne
12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Just ask yourself the question if Blake could carry a contender pretty much all by himself. I don't think so.

Clippersfan86
12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Just ask yourself the question if Blake could carry a contender pretty much all by himself. I don't think so.

See this kind of shit is stupid. Dallas had one of the most complete teams and deepest teams in recent memory. Sure Dirk was the undisputed king of that team but to act like he carried scrubs is fu**ing ignorant and disrespectful to the very good contributors he had.

TheFastOne
12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
See this kind of shit is stupid. Dallas had one of the most complete teams and deepest teams in recent memory. Sure Dirk was the undisputed king of that team but to act like he carried scrubs is fu**ing ignorant and disrespectful to the very good contributors he had.
Dallas was a team, they complemented each other perfectly.

I just don't see Blake being the first option in clutch situations permanently for any contender.

SHEED_ gangsta
12-26-2012, 06:12 PM
If he works out with Sheed in the off season?

he'll be the 2nd coming of Wilt Chamberlian

X 4!!!

kenny817
12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Oooooooh...a Mavericks fan, ay? Shoot. Thank you for the contribution.

My fandom doesn't cloud my judgment

Malone could lead the 2011 Mavs to a championship is just comical

kenny817
12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Actually I posted like once or twice in a sarcastic way. I think it's funny that lately to troll Griffin people make preposterous threads and people rip him apart and fall for it. Like comparing CP3+Griffin to Stockton+Malone the other day when they only have one year together. I can say Griffin has more upside than Dirk ever did and a much better 3 year start to his career than Dirk did so it's incredibly ignorant to guarantee that he can never get to Dirk or these other all time great PF's level.

Dirk came in to a horrible team and barely even played. Dirk and Nash made them good and it took a few years

By year 2 of Blake in LA they were good with CP3 and DJ

Clippersfan86
12-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Dirk came in to a horrible team and barely even played. Dirk and Nash made them good and it took a few years

By year 2 of Blake in LA they were good with CP3 and DJ

By year two Dirk was a perennial 36+ minute per game player. He didn't make an all star team until his 4th year. Blake Griffin as a rookie had a better statistically year than Dirk ever hit until 8th year and even that's debatable.

The general point I was making was... Nobody knew Dirk would be a top 5 PF all time his first couple years. He looked like a future all star but that's about it. To act like Griffin has no chance in hell when he's already a 3 time all star and career 20/10/3 player who's game is evolving constantly is about as ignorant as it gets.

Blake has a ton to prove before mentioned in the same breath with Dirk career wise but to shoot down the possibility of him being as good 2.5 seasons into his career? Preposterous.

Bigsmoke
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
i didnt think Dirk himself was going to be this good :confusedshrug:

anything could happen

Clippersfan86
12-26-2012, 06:38 PM
i didnt think Dirk himself was going to be this good :confusedshrug:

anything could happen

Main thing to remember. NOBODY I know even long time Mavs fans thought Dirk would be this good and be a top 5 PF all time. I knew of people that thought when he got used to the NBA game he would be an all star but that's as far as it went. This is why you don't make definitive statements like "He will never be as good as Dirk" 2 and a half years into a players career. Same way I wouldn't guarantee you that he will surpass Dirk.

swi7ch
12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
No, his ceiling is Shawn Kemp.

brandonislegend
12-26-2012, 06:42 PM
By year two Dirk was a perennial 36+ minute per game player. He didn't make an all star team until his 4th year. Blake Griffin as a rookie had a better statistically year than Dirk ever hit until 8th year and even that's debatable.

The general point I was making was... Nobody knew Dirk would be a top 5 PF all time his first couple years. He looked like a future all star but that's about it. To act like Griffin has no chance in hell when he's already a 3 time all star and career 20/10/3 player who's game is evolving constantly is about as ignorant as it gets.

Blake has a ton to prove before mentioned in the same breath with Dirk career wise but to shoot down the possibility of him being as good 2.5 seasons into his career? Preposterous.

The all star game is a popularity game of course when ESPN shoves Blake griffin down everyone throat he will make it. Blake will never be able to single Handlely carry a team he is a shitty ft shooter and only makes jumpers cause he is WIDE open, dirk was getting doubled and tripled team all playoffs and still carried the team you keep saying he has a complete team. That might be true but no one picked them to win the championship on the whole planet

Bigsmoke
12-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Main thing to remember. NOBODY I know even long time Mavs fans thought Dirk would be this good and be a top 5 PF all time. I knew of people that thought when he got used to the NBA game he would be an all star but that's as far as it went. This is why you don't make definitive statements like "He will never be as good as Dirk" 2 and a half years into a players career. Same way I wouldn't guarantee you that he will surpass Dirk.

pretty much.

Blake's first 2 years > Dirk's

of course that doesn't mean Blake will end up being better saying Blake has a shot what so ever to be as good or if not better is pretty delusional.

Clippersfan86
12-26-2012, 07:23 PM
The all star game is a popularity game of course when ESPN shoves Blake griffin down everyone throat he will make it. Blake will never be able to single Handlely carry a team he is a shitty ft shooter and only makes jumpers cause he is WIDE open, dirk was getting doubled and tripled team all playoffs and still carried the team you keep saying he has a complete team. That might be true but no one picked them to win the championship on the whole planet

Coaches selected him as a reserve his rookie year.. had nothing to do with popularity. BTW show me footage of Dirk getting doubled and tripled regularly as a 2nd and 3rd year player and I'll leave this forum forever. It didn't happen stop making shit up.

The only reason the Mavs weren't favorites is because the Heat formed a freaking super team with 3 stars all in their prime. Had nothing to do with how much talent Dallas had.

It's A VC3!!!
12-26-2012, 07:26 PM
They are two different players and one can lead a team to a championship (Dirk) while the other needs a top tier pg to thrive. That's not an insult to Blake, it's just his play style. Dirk can shoot from anywhere, fade-away, drive, and post. There's not many NBA players in NBA history you can compare Dirk to. Blake is a monstrous basketball body who can hurt you badly with dunks, occasional shots, and post ups. Blake is still very young and could ultimately win a championship but not as the best player like Dirk did.

Whoah10115
12-26-2012, 10:20 PM
This thread is very stupid.

Locked_Up_Tonight
12-26-2012, 11:14 PM

Here's the difference:

Dirk came in as 20 year old having played in the German League (Division III). He came in during the lockout year having no NBA experience. Dirk did not pick up a basketball until he was 16. And he didn't have anyone helping him train until he was 17-18. Dirk came over here and didn't even know how to cash checks, etc. He had culture shock for the first year of his NBA career and his second year was better but still adjusting.

Blake Griffin on the other hand has been playing ball his whole life. He has been to all the AAU events, coached repeatedly by coaches everywhere. He played for a couple of years in Division 1 college. Then he also got to sit with the NBA team and practice with them a full year before his rookie season. Now he is in his 3rd year and it looks like he has already hit his peak production wise. Sure he can be craftier, and a better player in some aspects but the numbers will not get better.