PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley: "The Lakers are not contenders"

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 04:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35183/charles-barkley-lakers-not-a-contender

[B]

UtahJazzFan88
12-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't think it's really that big of a flip-flop, I think a lot of people including myself expected them to be contenders (as in make it to the WC Finals), I don't think they can unless they play a lick of defense.

DaSeba5
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I thought he said the Lakers would win the West.

Heavincent
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Charles doesn't really flip flop. He calls it like he sees it.

DaPerceive
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Magic flip flops, not Sir Charles.

But yeah he is right. They don't have anyone that can carry them to a title. Kobe can't carry him anymore and he doesn't have a big capable of carrying him anymore like in 4 of his 5 championships.

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM

He guaranteed it on national TV if I recall :facepalm . I understand saying "my opinion has changed" if before you weren't so sure they would be in the finals but common dude.. 2 months later? This is why you wait 20-30+ games to form strong opinions about how good a team will or won't be. I remember night of the Dwight trade when people were talking dynasty I kept saying let them play first, see how they gel.

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
BTW he DID flip flop. He said finals and win west and now is saying "I never thought it would work".

DaSeba5
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
He guaranteed it on national TV if I recall :facepalm . I understand saying "my opinion has changed" if before you weren't so sure they would be in the finals but common dude.. 2 months later? This is why you wait 20-30+ games to form strong opinions about how good a team will or won't be. I remember night of the Dwight trade when people were talking dynasty I kept saying let them play first, see how they gel.

Yes I remember. The Laker fans jumped on us Heat fans saying "we scared" and so on.

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Yes I remember. The Laker fans jumped on us Heat fans saying "we scared" and so on.

I thought they had a great shot at the finals too but I would have never argued as if it was a guarantee. Gotta prove it on the court first. I along with many others brought up 04 Lakers and that team actually was better than this one so far.

People try to compare to the Heat but it's not comparable. Heat had 3 stars (2 superstars) all in their prime who were good friends and WANTED to play together. They weren't older and thrown together randomly like the Lakers. It was their choice and to top it off Miami got a ton of solid role players at discount prices with a bunch of players jumping on board.

DaSeba5
12-27-2012, 04:56 PM
I thought they had a great shot at the finals too but I would have never argued as if it was a guarantee. Gotta prove it on the court first.

Agreed. That's what I said when the Big 3 came together, and that's what I said to Laker fans.

Godzuki
12-27-2012, 04:56 PM
can't argue with Charles about being slow and unathletic but i think they can improve a lot more than now with more play time together. if they're still like this after a few weeks then probably...

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Agreed. That's what I said when the Big 3 came together, and that's what I said to Laker fans.

A better question is why did so many vets and role players rush to play with Lebron, Wade and Bosh but not with this Lakers team? I mean Jamison took a huge paycut but outside of him nobody reacted the same way they did to Miami. I think it probably has to do with the attitude of Dwight+Kobe and the age of the team honestly.

DaSeba5
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
A better question is why did so many vets and role players rush to play with Lebron, Wade and Bosh but not with this Lakers team? I mean Jamison took a huge paycut but outside of him nobody reacted the same way they did to Miami. I think it probably has to do with the attitude of Dwight+Kobe and the age of the team honestly.

That and the Heat organization. We're not as successful as the LA franchise, but the Heat have always had a defensive philosophy and a family atmosphere among the players. Players really respect the Heat organization. I think they have a good reputation with Pat Riley.

Also, Riley promises a more long term "dynasty" than the Lakers. The LA team that formed together was more of a short term win now move, and that may turn players off.

Bandito
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/genius-meme.jpg

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=Clippersfan86]http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35183/charles-barkley-lakers-not-a-contender

[B]

Whoah10115
12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Barkley is not a tool. Don't take his Blake criticisms as reason to see him as anything but the best analyst around. He gets too caught up in age sometimes and too caught up in the moment. Barkley is an emotional guy and can sometimes get caught in it and flip-flop. And sometimes he misspeaks and doesn't bother to correct himself. Also, he never guaranteed it and I can't recall him ever talking about it as a near-certainty.

But few people know basketball as well as Barkley does

Kiddlovesnets
12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
We all know this already, way to go being such a know-all Mr Barkley...
:sleeping

Rysio
12-27-2012, 05:15 PM
any team with kobe bryant will always be a contender. close thread

Replay32
12-27-2012, 05:15 PM

He did say they would win the west on an episode of NBA Open Court before the season started. Now he's saying that he "never thought it was going to work".

Charles Barkley is full of sh!t.

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Barkley is not a tool. Don't take his Blake criticisms as reason to see him as anything but the best analyst around. He gets too caught up in age sometimes and too caught up in the moment. Barkley is an emotional guy and can sometimes get caught in it and flip-flop. And sometimes he misspeaks and doesn't bother to correct himself. Also, he never guaranteed it and I can't recall him ever talking about it as a near-certainty.

I should be able to relate because I'm very impulsive, passionate and emotional when it comes to basketball talk too. It's just this dude should be held to a higher standard than somebody like me who's a nobody fan on a basketball forum. I remember him picking the Lakers to win the west so to now say "I knew it wasn't going to work" is flip flopping.

Artillery
12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
any team with kobe bryant will always be a contender. close thread

2005 Lakers
2006 Lakers
2007 Lakers
2011 Lakers
2012 Lakers

Whoah10115
12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I should be able to relate because I'm very impulsive, passionate and emotional when it comes to basketball talk too. It's just this dude should be held to a higher standard than somebody like me who's a nobody fan on a basketball forum. I remember him picking the Lakers to win the west so to now say "I knew it wasn't going to work" is flip flopping.

He picked them on an episode of Open Court. He wasn't sure tho but he knew they had the potential to truly be great.

Barkley is different than most tho...I love him.

Euroleague
12-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Charles Barkley and his 65 I.Q. - yeah, he's an expert on everything.

Foster5k
12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
The Lakers are not contenders? No shit. However, there are people out there that still believe the Lakers can win the championship. :oldlol:

LA Lakers
12-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Love Sir Charles one of the greatest of all time but when have any of his day to day predictions ever been right?

MostHated305
12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Chuck is right though. Lakers old asses gonna get smoked around playoff time.

Mr. Jabbar
12-27-2012, 07:05 PM
As a Lakers fan thats encouraging, considering Barkley is wrong 100% of the time. :applause:

Graviton
12-27-2012, 07:15 PM
As a Lakers fan thats encouraging, considering Barkley is wrong 100% of the time. :applause:
He picked Dallas against the Heat/OKC/Lakers in 2011, and the Heat over OKC. Both times most of the people picked the opposite team. He is right quite often.

brownmamba00
12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
He picked Dallas against the Heat/OKC/Lakers in 2011, and the Heat over OKC. Both times most of the people picked the opposite team. He is right quite often.
And he picked the Nuggets over LA then next series picked the lakers to beat OKC
Also said 'Spurs would win it all'

barkley is a flip floppin bitch, before the start of the season he said LA would beat OKC in a 7 game series and now he's saying they're not even contenders. what a moron

TheMarkMadsen
12-27-2012, 07:25 PM

So now being right one time counts for being right "quite often"

Barkley. Barkley. The same guy who hates on the Knicks for their lack of rebounding and large quantity of 3's in the same sentence where he praises how the 2011 mavs were built..

ILLsmak
12-27-2012, 08:29 PM
The reason the Lakers are contenders is the same reason that Miami was contenders in 2011. There is just so much talent. You wouldn't be surprised if LA suddenly won 15 in a row. Their team is ridiculous, they are contenders.

Their underwhelming level of play is the only surprise.

-Smak

ILLsmak
12-27-2012, 08:31 PM

I think Barkley knows bball pretty well. He's no expert. He'd not be hired as a scout or coach. He knows what he's seen... which was a lot. 80s-90s was a big era for bball. But it'd help if he wasn't drunk as hell every moment of his life. I don't think you can take him seriously... lemme tellya somethin'...

-Smak

andremiller07
12-27-2012, 08:33 PM
They have shown nothing to suggest they will be contenders and with there starting 5 playing a crapload of mins they, if they make the playoffs they will be running on empty.

Rubio2Gasol
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
So now being right one time counts for being right "quite often"

Barkley. Barkley. The same guy who hates on the Knicks for their lack of rebounding and large quantity of 3's in the same sentence where he praises how the 2011 mavs were built..

:lol

I don't particularly like Barkley. He does call it as he sees it and for that I respect him, but the way he sees it has been flat out wrong just as much as it's been spot on. He gets caught up in rivalries and petty personal battles, and what's worse is because he's had to acknowledge that he was wrong so many times he looks like the worlds biggest hypocrite.

I like Kenny. He usually gives balanced all around insight into the game.

G-Funk
12-27-2012, 10:23 PM
:facepalm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_aGgN5RgSA

:oldlol:

Clippersfan86
12-27-2012, 10:28 PM

Thank you! Exactly what we needed to verify this.

Night of trade Barkley:

"Athletic team on the fastbreak"
"Win the championship"
"Loaded"
"Love their team"

12/26/12:

"No athleticism"
"Old and slow"
"Not contenders"
"No depth"

:roll: :roll:

Replay32
12-27-2012, 11:09 PM

Boom!!!

Barkley is a flip flopper.

longtime lurker
12-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Lakers as they stand now still aren't contenders. They aren't healthy and they still have massive glaring holes on the team. God help the league though if they manage to fix some of those holes.

Lakers Legend#32
12-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Lakers are not contenders now, so wait until after the All-Star break to see if they turn in around.

LakersForlife
12-28-2012, 02:53 AM
trade this bitch ass Howard to the wizards

Sharmer
12-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Laker defense has been atrocious, Kobe is probably one of the worst defending SG in the league.

MJ(Mean John)
12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Magic flip flops, not Sir Charles.

But yeah he is right. They don't have anyone that can carry them to a title. Kobe can't carry him anymore and he doesn't have a big capable of carrying him anymore like in 4 of his 5 championships.

You're for sure RG

Blue&Orange
12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
That and the Heat organization. We're not as successful as the LA franchise, but the Heat have always had a defensive philosophy and a family atmosphere among the players. Players really respect the Heat organization. I think they have a good reputation with Pat Riley.

Also, Riley promises a more long term "dynasty" than the Lakers. The LA team that formed together was more of a short term win now move, and that may turn players off.
Right it has nothing to do with lower taxes, it's the "family atmosphere" :lol :lol