PDA

View Full Version : How good are NBA players?

jack612blue
12-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Let's say some scrub like Toney Douglas shows up and wants to play a pickup 5vs5..

Would he dominate and potentially score all 11 points?

konex
12-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Yes. A complete scrub perimeter player in the NBA would dominate pretty much anywhere..

Budadiiii
12-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Use your common sense. Less than 500 NBA players out of how many who play the damn sport? And of course Tony would dominate you and your fakit friends

jack612blue
12-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Use your common sense. Less than 500 NBA players out of how many who play the damn sport? And of course Tony would dominate you and your fakit friends
It doesn't look like that the way Toney plays...

He looks so shaken up out there on the court

Tmuston Beltics
12-30-2012, 02:03 AM

yh maybe because he is playing against other nba players not in a pick up..:facepalm

JerryWest
12-30-2012, 02:03 AM

This guy is a professional athlete chosen from the millions of basketball players and is paid a shit load of money too. He can dominate you guys by just shooting 3's over you and your midget friends.

Foster5k
12-30-2012, 02:10 AM
If you and your snot nose friends played a NBA caliber player 5x5, he would dismantle your hearts, dreams, and aspirations of ever playing basketball again. You probably would not ever want to see another basketball in your life. He would deflate your little, "I'm on par with the elite athletes of the world", attitude faster than he would deflate the ball and yell, "SO WHO'S THE SCRUB NOW!"

These guys are professionals at what they do. The boundary between amateur and professional is extraordinary. They breath basketball.

JerryWest
12-30-2012, 02:11 AM
If you and your snot nose friends played a NBA caliber player 5x5, he would dismantle your hearts, dreams, and aspirations of ever playing basketball again. You probably would not ever want to see another basketball in your life. He would deflate your little, "I'm on par with the elite athletes of the world", attitude faster than he would deflate the ball and yell, "SO WHO'S THE SCRUB NOW!"

These guys are professionals at what they do. The boundary between amateur and professional is extraordinary. They breath basketball.
Beautiful.....just beautiful :applause: :bowdown:

jack612blue
12-30-2012, 02:12 AM

So... if you were guarding him 1vs1 and you gave him enough room for the shot. He could still drive it right by you?

JerryWest
12-30-2012, 02:13 AM
So... if you were guarding him 1vs1 and you gave him enough room for the shot. He could still drive it right by you?
:biggums:

KG215
12-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Yes, and even though big men are pretty useless in your basic YMCA or park pick-up game, even someone like Kendrick Perkins would dominate.

I'll try and put it into some context. A kid that graduated from my high school two years ago would come down and play pick-up ball with our usual Sunday night pick-up group. It featured mostly 20-somethings that were pretty damn good high school players and low-level college players (DII, NAIA, JUCO) who were a little out of shape and not quite as good as they were 3-5 years ago. Anyway, the kid I referred to earlier was a D1 football commit to Oklahoma State (don't think he's on the team anymore) and had just led the basketball team to the state championship, beating Archie Goodwin (current Kentucky starter future lottery pick) and his team by 20 in the state championship while scoring 35 points and grabbing 20 rebounds. If he hadn't committed to Oklahoma State for football so early, decent D1 basketball schools would've been all over him. Oklahoma State was going to give him the chance to play both basketball.

The few weeks he came out to play pick-up with us he pretty much did whatever he wanted when he wanted. His team didn't always win, because there was some really good players that sometimes ended up on the same team, but there were games he'd basically score all 11 of his team's points or 10 of 11 and almost single-handily carry them to two or three wins in a row. And like I said, most of the guys I play with are still in their 20's and in fairly good shape, just a few years removed from playing college and/or high school basketball; former All-State/All-Conference level players. That was a mid-major or decent high major D1 caliber player fresh out of high school. Now multiply that by like 1,000 for any NBA scrub and even more for better players; and by scrub I'm talking the worst of the worst end of the bench borderline D-Leaguers.

jack612blue
12-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Right and also the NBA player has to be of reasonable height as well:

Can't put a 6'10" dude out there with a bunch midgets.

Budadiiii
12-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Yes, and even though big men are pretty useless in your basic YMCA or park pick-up game, even someone like Kendrick Perkins would dominate.

I'll try and put it into some context. A kid that graduated from my high school two years ago would come down and play pick-up ball with our usual Sunday night pick-up group. It featured mostly 20-somethings that were pretty damn good high school players and low-level college players (DII, NAIA, JUCO) who were a little out of shape and not quite as good as they were 3-5 years ago. Anyway, the kid I referred to earlier was a D1 football commit to Oklahoma State (don't think he's on the team anymore) and had just led the basketball team to the state championship, beating Archie Goodwin (current Kentucky starter future lottery pick) and his team by 20 in the state championship while scoring 35 points and grabbing 20 rebounds. If he hadn't committed to Oklahoma State for football so early, decent D1 basketball schools would've been all over him. Oklahoma State was going to give him the chance to play both basketball.

The few weeks he came out to play pick-up with us he pretty much did whatever he wanted when he wanted. His team didn't always win, because there was some really good players that sometimes ended up on the same team, but there were games he'd basically score all 11 of his team's points or 10 of 11 and almost single-handily carry them to two or three wins in a row. And like I said, most of the guys I play with are still in their 20's and in fairly good shape, just a few years removed from playing college and/or high school basketball; former All-State/All-Conference level players. That was a mid-major or decent high major D1 caliber player fresh out of high school. Now multiply that by like 1,000 for any NBA scrub and even more for better players; and by scrub I'm talking the worst of the worst end of the bench borderline D-Leaguers.

Wouldn't go that far bro...

imdaman99
12-30-2012, 02:23 AM
i wanna agree with you all, but how do we explain tmac going 10 games in china without winning 1? i guess the chinese leagues are better than scrubs here in the US... but damn it took him forever to get a win :oldlol:

ClutchOver9000
12-30-2012, 02:25 AM
ANY NBA PLAYER would tear the average joe's heart out in a pickup game.

Heavincent
12-30-2012, 02:35 AM
If Tony Douglas played 1 on 1 with the best basketball player on ISH, Douglas would win 21-0 within mere minutes...and wouldn't even break a sweat.

KG215
12-30-2012, 02:50 AM
If Tony Douglas played 1 on 1 with the best basketball player on ISH, Douglas would win 21-0 within mere minutes...and wouldn't even break a sweat.
Surely the best player on ISH (has to be some dude still in his 20's who played college ball so he's still in good shape) could manage to score 1-3 buckets. A couple of them might be fluky tough contested jumpers, but still.

Bandito
12-30-2012, 02:54 AM
i wanna agree with you all, but how do we explain tmac going 10 games in china without winning 1? i guess the chinese leagues are better than scrubs here in the US... but damn it took him forever to get a win :oldlol:
you're comparing profesional athletes to scrubs you see in your playground?:lol

Chinese basketball players will sh1t on the D-league...

inclinerator
12-30-2012, 02:55 AM
nope ur local ymca player have a chance to win against nba scrubs

No_Look604
12-30-2012, 06:00 AM
How would Matt Bonner do at Ruckers Park w/ guys hugging the 3 point line?

Genuine question.

No_Look604
12-30-2012, 06:01 AM

Ohh you don't know of the one, confirmed, nba player who posts on here?

I don't post enough to feel comfortable exposing who it is. Maybe one of the regulars will tell you.

AngelEyes
12-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Very, very good, much better than your sorry ass, or anybody you know.... unless they're NBA players.

strifed169
12-30-2012, 06:29 AM
So you guys are saying Adamant Morrison and Brian Scalabrine would own in pick up games?

I just can't seem to picture that

andremiller07
12-30-2012, 06:31 AM

Genuine question.

He would probably drop 30+

AngelEyes
12-30-2012, 06:35 AM
So you guys are saying Adamant Morrison and Brian Scalabrine would own in pick up games?

You can't picture 6'7"-6'9" guys with moderate athleticism (at least compared to pick up players) and good shooting touch dominating pick up games? cmon son....

Burgz V2
12-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I played on a team in the middle east for a year (Qatar) and they had some players who used to be in the D-League.

PLaying against them I realised that them NBA players are no joke, they are beasts, if those guys couldn't make the league.

JerryWest
12-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Lol, those guys could just shoot over anyone and also drive through whatever defense a pick up game would put up.

SacJB Shady
12-30-2012, 07:17 AM
ANY NBA PLAYER would tear the average joe's heart out in a pickup game.

Are you serious? I had a friend who is 6 foot 3 that could dunk real well. He would practice dunking all day long and can shoot and is real quick. And his friend is 6 foot 7 and can also dunk all day long.

So you are saying someone like Derek Fisher and JJ Beareau can whoop them every single time? How will they guard down low? JJ is like really 5 foot 6.

Jeremy Lin looks just like these asian americans at my old school who played ball. I mean he practically is/was one of them. I think he was the same level as them or a little better and then just got even a little better over the last few years. I think my friends might be able to beat him and were better than him at one point.

poweredbyoats
12-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Are you serious? I had a friend who is 6 foot 3 that could dunk real well. He would practice dunking all day long and can shoot and is real quick. And his friend is 6 foot 7 and can also dunk all day long.

So you are saying someone like Derek Fisher and JJ Beareau can whoop them every single time? How will they guard down low? JJ is like really 5 foot 6.

Jeremy Lin looks just like these asian americans at my old school who played ball. I mean he practically is/was one of them. I think he was the same level as them or a little better and then just got even a little better over the last few years. I think my friends might be able to beat him and were better than him at one point.

You are so delusional.

SacJB Shady
12-30-2012, 07:21 AM
You are so delusional.

Explain

Noof
12-30-2012, 07:36 AM
http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2012/12/18/brian-scalabrine-will-beat-you-at-one-on-one/

Anyone know if this happened yet/when it's gonna happen? I wanna see Scal owning people at the park.

Teanett
12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
devin harris gets killed by unknown little white dude. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw)

ILLsmak
12-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Maybe not offensively, but nobody would be scoring in the paint, ever.

Edit: But there are players of NBA level talent that couldn't make it because of various other things, so let's not act like they'd beat everyone. Look at Royce White. He was lucky to come as far as he did. Other people could have fell off before that, imagine anxiety or depression/drug addiction affecting their ability to attend college.

-Smak

Kiddlovesnets
12-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Well the so-called second-best league in the world, Euroleague, cant beat most of the Div-II NCAA teams. Put an NBA player on these trash and you know how good they will be.
:lol

ihoopallday
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm sure there are few guys out there who can beat NBA players. Damn, think about how quick you'd get tired guarding an NBA player. It's unbelievable the kind of shape most NBA players are in. But I guess it's that way for most pro athletes.

strifed169
12-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Looks can be deceiving I guess, while Jeremy Lin was in the d league he avg 30 point triple double

TheFastOne
12-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm sure there are few guys out there who can beat NBA players. Damn, think about how quick you'd get tired guarding an NBA player. It's unbelievable the kind of shape most NBA players are in. But I guess it's that way for most pro athletes.
Eddy Curry.

elementally morale
12-30-2012, 02:15 PM
On average they are better than the average poster here.

TheMarkMadsen
12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
:roll:

There's. reason that those guys get paid millions of dollars. The 12 man on any nba team would dominate anybody here.

:facepalm at somebody saying Kendrick Perkins (a starter on multiple teams that made the finals) wouldn't dominate people in a pick up game.

egos would be shattered

DStebb716
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM

you serious? it's the absolute truth.

DStebb716
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
ANY player in the NBA would be able to beat any of us posters in a game of 1 on 5.

ihoopallday
12-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Eddy Curry.

Key word in my original post: "most"

red1
12-30-2012, 02:54 PM
adam morrison is the 15th man on a roster and he would style on you like he's prime jordan. dunk on you at will and wet jumpers in your face

tomtucker
12-30-2012, 02:59 PM

You forgot the part where he takes them out behind a shed and rapes them in the butt

tomtucker
12-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Jeremy Lin would shit on us all.......

ZMonkey11
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
ANY player in the NBA would be able to beat any of us posters in a game of 1 on 5.

my favorite post in this thread so far. :oldlol: :cheers:

KungFuJoe
12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I beat an NBA player once.

In chess.

Rake2204
12-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Genuine question.This topic comes up from time to time here and it's always interesting for me to discuss. Your question about Matt Bonner reminds me of this one time back in the early '00's when the Rucker Entertainer's Basketball Classic was being aired late at night on ESPN2 (I've mentioned this story here before). At the time, Mike Dunleavy Jr. was coming off a rookie year where he pretty much scrubbed it up, averaging like 5 points per game. I wasn't really sure he was going to hang on in the league, just seemed like an average college player who couldn't cut it in the pros.

Anyway, Dunleavy was playing in the EBC game that night and I realized something very quickly. Whereas in the NBA his role mostly seemed to be shooting spot up triples, it turns out anywhere else in the world he'd be a 6 foot 9 freaking beast with range out to 30 feet. I know my memory exaggerates, but I remember him looking bigger than everyone, swatting shots in the paint like a center and finishing fast breaks with easy two hand jams (on top of the aforementioned long range bombs). He was clearly head and shoulders above every other player there, regardless of what they'd defensively try to take away from him.

Therefore, in the case of Matt Bonner, I think you'd see something similar. In the NBA, we see a spot up shooter. In real life, Matt Bonner is 6'10''. For starters, how often do a lot of us run into 6'10'' players on the basketball court? Second, in those times we do come across players of that size, what's their game like? With Bonner, we're talking about a 6'10'' guy who, like Dunleavy, likely has deadly range from 26 feet plus. He's been shooting about 45% from the NBA arc the past three seasons. Imagine how much a 6'10'' player with that range would stretch the floor in a pickup game, particularly if that game was taking place on a street court with a high school line (which is how the majority of American street courts are set up).

On top of the range, there's no doubt a 6'10'' Bonner would be well versed in post play. That doesn't mean he'd have Hakeem's dream arsenal, but as if being 6'10'' wasn't enough, he'd be a 6'10'' guy with almost ten years of NBA experience playing against other guys bigger and stronger than him. I'd venture to say even the athletic 6'7'' guy at our courts who usually dominates would not have much of a chance defending the 240 pound Bonner anywhere with his back to the basket.

It creates a situation where any defender would have to pick up Bonner just a few steps after he crossed half court and play him tight, at which point, there's still a good chance he could fire over most anyone with his 6'10'' frame. Further, playing him tight will open up pump fakes, one dribbles, and pull ups. Next, there's probably not going to be a ton of folks who will be able to compete with Bonner on the glass, offensively or defensively.

Above all else, and this is true for all NBA players potentially playing at regular old street courts, Bonner would be the most well conditioned player on the floor. This doesn't mean he'd be blowing past even your fastest friends, but it does mean he'd never stop. He'd run the floor the entire game, take off down court for every transition play, recover defensively all the time, and would be, in all likelihood, the last man standing in any test of basketball endurance among regular folk.

Rake2204
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Eddy Curry.Even guys like Eddy Curry would be a funny thing. I must admit, there have been times in my life where I've played against like, fat 6'6'' 250+ guys who weren't in great shape but still gave me big problems just because of their size. I'd venture to say we've all come across someone who lacked a little in skill and/or stamina but still did more work than they should have just because they bullied their way about a little.

So with Curry, we'd be talking about someone who is 7'0'' 325 pounds or more. Further, he's been skilled or effective enough to play in the NBA for around 7 or 8 full NBA seasons, 48 minute games, at one point almost averaging 20 points a night. Again, I don't think he'll be crossing folks over with lightning quickness, but I think he'd tank himself through just about anyone.

I just can't seem to picture thatI believe there's not a single doubt. Adam Morrison is a guy who dropped 28 points a night against high level division I opponents and had seasoned himself against pro level players in the years since. He definitely struggled against fellow 6'7'' NBA-level opponents, but I mean, if NBA competition is the only competition that's able to slow you down over the course of your basketball career, you've probably been doing something right.

Morrison's another guy who's 6'8'' with mega range. And Scalabrine's 6'9''. It once more comes down to the question, "How many times have you guys actually played against players that tall?" That's then quickly followed up with, "All those 6'9'' players you faced over the course of your life, how many of them spent at least five years in the best basketball league in the world, with truly unlimited range, NBA conditioning, and deep attention to all the detail NBA basketball requires?

Finally, I always post this video when this topic arises, because I think it's a fun reference. I'm by no means saying the play in this level is godly. And I'm definitely not saying the high school defender was any sort of basketball prospect. It just seems to be one example of what it'd look like when a normal 6'5'' player decided to kind of play an NBA center in a medium game of one-on-one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3-Ds7-gAs

NBA4EVER
12-30-2012, 04:13 PM
perfect examples...

Brandon Jennings in a random rec league game (drops 70):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBKzu-DOw7k

Nate Robinson rec league game (drops 55):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVqxDaDXPRM

irondarts
12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Every NBA player would destroy anybody in a rec league game, hell, every D-League player would dominate a rec league game as well.

Derka
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
The best in the world and light years ahead of anything you have stepped on a court against.

A story: The guy from the ESPN Film "Unguarded"...Chris Herren. He played two years in the NBA before his addictions ended his career. From the same city I've lived in my whole life. He's four years older than me and the other guys from this city I came up playing ball against in our high school years. In our city, you do your basketball work at either the Bank Street Armory, the Boys Club or the CYO court near City Hall. Chris would *always* be at one of those with his brother Mike and other Durfee players working out. We'd even have the best ballers from surrounding cities and towns lounging around trying to take him on and be the guys who beat Herren. Didn't happen. Chris was just light years ahead of anyone else you could throw at him and he was barely breaking a sweat while doing it.

Needless to say, my friends and I were enamored with him.

Djahjaga
12-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Perk averaged 27.5/16.4 with 7.8 bpg as a senior in high school. He broke most of Shaq's Texas scoring records, IIRC.

Dude's 6'10'' 270lbs with great conditioning and tools good enough to average 10 ppg in his last full year in Boston and you're telling me he can't score 11-21 points in a game of pickup?

alenleomessi
12-30-2012, 07:50 PM
well if a guy like chris quinn played a pickup game, no one would really think he is a nba player
if someone like juan carlos navarro played a pickup game, people would think he is the second coming of michael jordan

just sayin'

TheBigVeto
12-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Racist is obvious.

Phenith
12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
devin harris gets killed by unknown little white dude. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw)

Any nba baller can get beat a couple of play in the playground, but over time, the odds of the nba player(any) coming out on top over a playground player is going to be extremely high.
Harris would destroy that guy way more often than not even though he got schooled pretty good in that vid.

inclinerator
12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
ive seen clips of some street baller holding his own against brandon jennings so i think they may have a chance

SacJB Shady
12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
U guys seen the pro celebrity games? Last year Mullin hardaway and richmond looked as bas as regular non pro players on the other team. But you see the league drafts people who can make them money. There are a plethora of guys who never made it to the NBA that could be as good as them but chose to drive trucks or open up their own business. I have discussed this with my friend. There are millions of people out there who you don't know that could potentially be in the NBA. Maybe not like a Lebron, but at the very least like a Fisher. No doubt. U think every actress is really a good actress?

TheMarkMadsen
12-30-2012, 10:08 PM
U guys seen the pro celebrity games? Last year Mullin hardaway and richmond looked as bas as regular non pro players on the other team. But you see the league drafts people who can make them money. There are a plethora of guys who never made it to the NBA that could be as good as them but chose to drive trucks or open up their own business. I have discussed this with my friend. There are millions of people out there who you don't know that could potentially be in the NBA. Maybe not like a Lebron, but at the very least like a Fisher. No doubt. U think every actress is really a good actress?

Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of people who passed on being a millionaire in the NBA so they could, instead drive trucks. :facepalm

SacJB Shady
12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of people who passed on being a millionaire in the NBA so they could, instead drive trucks. :facepalm

You are too pretentious and egotistic. Not every single person has an interest in basketball and not every single person is money hungry. Some people have other passions. Look at Festus Ezeli. He only started playing 5 years ago. He hated the game at first. If he didn't make the decision to start playing, he would be doing something else. There are other Ezili's out there dude.

Fallguy20
12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Surely the best player on ISH (has to be some dude still in his 20's who played college ball so he's still in good shape) could manage to score 1-3 buckets. A couple of them might be fluky tough contested jumpers, but still.

yes?

FKAri
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
The real question is, could Steve Nash carry a team of scrubs in the Y without taking a single shot? :banana:

TheMarkMadsen
12-30-2012, 10:23 PM
You are too pretentious and egotistic. Not every single person has an interest in basketball and not every single person is money hungry. Some people have other passions. Look at Festus Ezeli. He only started playing 5 years ago. He hated the game at first. If he didn't make the decision to start playing, he would be doing something else. There are other Ezili's out there dude.

Actually son, your "ego" is that butthurt feeling you get when somebody diagrees with your or that good feeling after somebody compliments you, that's your ego.

If somebody is good enough to go to a d1 college, play well enough to be drafted or even make it as a rookie free agent 99% of the time it's because they e spent their entire lives perfecting their craft. So it's hard to believe that somebody who's spent their entire life trying to attain the dream of playing in he NBA would pass on that opportunity to be a truck driver.

blood yes
12-30-2012, 10:29 PM

Dude, ur fckin retarded. You think your friends can beat Jeremy lin?

Lin is overrated in the nba, but he can still whoop u and ur friends.

I played with Daniel Gibson once 4real at lifetime during da summer, and he looked like Michael Jordan out there, for real. In the nba, he's a spot up shooter, but in the playground, dude can post up, drive both ways, and dunk

Colbertnation64
12-30-2012, 10:29 PM

lmao dude

jeremy lin would destroy you and all your friends, unless you're friends with cp3

atljonesbro
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Any clown who thinks they could beat an NBA player is out of their mind. If that's the case, why aren't you in the NBA? The NBA is the best 500 players out of the 7 Billion on the planet. Why is that so hard to grasp? Some players look bad because they are facing the ABSOLUTE top notch best of the best bar none. Outside of the NBA every single one of those players are gods among boys. Scal, full time NBA scrub for life, averaged like 15/9/2 41% from 3 playing at USC, a D1 school. Scal was a superstar in college and BUM in the NBA. At your local YMCA or basketball court he is MJ combined with Larry Bird combined with Mutombo.

plUto or bUst
12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some playground players who would give NBA players a run for there money 1 on 1 or 2 on 2, but put them in an NBA game and they would look lost due to lack of fundamentals.

Colbertnation64
12-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Dude, ur fckin retarded. You think your friends can beat Jeremy lin?

Lin is overrated in the nba, but he can still whoop u and ur friends.

I played with Daniel Gibson once 4real at lifetime during da summer, and he looked like Michael Jordan out there, for real. In the nba, he's a spot up shooter, but in the playground, dude can post up, drive both ways, and dunk
Pretty much.

people here are asking about "WELL HOW WOULD BONNER DO IF I JUST GUARD THE 3 POINT LINE". A 1 dimensional player in the NBA would be able to do just about everything in the average pick-up game. Take a look at some videos from pro-ams in the summer....those guys are doing whatever they want and arn't even going 100.

Colbertnation64
12-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some playground players who would give NBA players a run for there money 1 on 1 or 2 on 2, but put them in an NBA game and they would look lost due to lack of fundamentals.
yeah, the top notch guys could at least give NBA scrubs some trouble. But at the average pick up game they would kill.

Not to mention no one at the park is even touching the top tier of NBA talent.

red1
12-30-2012, 10:42 PM
if the best insidehoops baller played durant 1on1 would he be able to score 10 points before durant scores 100?

KungFuJoe
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
if the best insidehoops baller played durant 1on1 would he be able to score 10 points before durant scores 100?

Winner take out? No. Loser take out? Maybe.

AirTupac
12-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Derek Fisher would murk most posters here. People forget that he's 6'1 and built like a beast. He may be a terrible defender in the NBA but he would shut down anyone here :oldlol:

Rake2204
12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some playground players who would give NBA players a run for there money 1 on 1 or 2 on 2, but put them in an NBA game and they would look lost due to lack of fundamentals.Yeah, one on one can be funny like that sometimes, where it's not always going to be the best player who comes out on top. I'm sure there's some non-NBA folks out there who could make it happen at some point.

Derek Fisher would murk most posters here. People forget that he's 6'1 and built like a beast. He may be a terrible defender in the NBA but he would shut down anyone here :oldlol:I think Fisher was the main player being discussed the last time this topic arose. He seems relatively unassuming at his current age and folks get on his case for his play sometimes. But as you said, he's a 6'1'' NBA vet built like a truck.

My feelings on Fisher were, if he were to play in a random pickup game, it's not as if he'd be Shammgodding, throwing it off the head of opponents and finishing with windmill dunks. There could definitely be street players faster than him, some maybe stronger, others bigger, and a chunk with more hops and flat out athleticism. However, I still don't believe Fisher would be guardable. He'd be a model of basketball consistency. His three pointers would be like layups. His actual layups and forays to the hoop would overpower or out-maneuver most folks he'd ever come across. And his basketball mind would be top of the line. He'd always make the correct passes, and he'd make those passes perfectly. He'd crash the glass and battle with anyone out there and he'd never stop running, ever. He'd just consistently dominate any and all comers, just not necessarily with insane flash.

dabulls23
12-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Ohh you don't know of the one, confirmed, nba player who posts on here?

I don't post enough to feel comfortable exposing who it is. Maybe one of the regulars will tell you.

lol is this for real?

dajadeed
12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I had a friend who played aau and almost made the NBA. Plays overseas now. Back in high school him and 3 teammates came over for thanksgiving break. The 5 us would go to the local Y and for the 4 days we went we didn't lose a single game.

I was throwing alley-oops and shit.

It was the Mose fun I've ever had and none of them played an NBA minute.

Every NBA scrub is a star wherever they come from.

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 01:03 AM
U guys are too star struck and dazzled because they are pros. But a lot of times lower draft picks do better than the higher ones. Nba is about opportunity. What if lin never got his shot? Well what if there is someone with more potential than Lin out there who chose to focus on books instead? Plus consider all the black kids who dropped out of high school and never made it to college. U would never know how good they were. Look at andris biedrins. I can shoot free throws better than him and I don't practice. There are other 7 foot guys out there that never made it but had potential.

And saying the nba has the best 500 players out of 7 billion people is false and misleading for many reasons. First of all more then half of the human population is female based so it's not a fair comparison. Also out of the 7 billion people u can't compare nba players to kids or folks in their 50s, 60s, 70s, ect... Also u have to remember there are a lot of retired nba players. Also what about people from 3rd world countries who never got an opportunity? Also, u have to understand that there are pros in other countries that are also compatible to many US players. They gave the us a competitive run. Also not everyone likes basketball. You guys think that everyone likes the game. Tony Gonzalez played with Kidd at cal but chose the nfl.

I didn't say my friend are better then Lin. But before Lin was discovered he was just another Asian kid. He was in the same boat as a lot of kids. Michael Jordan didn't make the high school team. So it was just a year that made him better. Before that he wasn't even good enough to make high school. Think about it. One growth spurt is the difference between goat and being cut in hs

mrpibb
12-31-2012, 01:47 AM

You can't picture Adam Morrison dominating a lower league than the NBA? Do you watch basketball?

blood yes
12-31-2012, 02:16 AM
U guys are too star struck and dazzled because they are pros. But a lot of times lower draft picks do better than the higher ones. Nba is about opportunity. What if lin never got his shot? Well what if there is someone with more potential than Lin out there who chose to focus on books instead? Plus consider all the black kids who dropped out of high school and never made it to college. U would never know how good they were. Look at andris biedrins. I can shoot free throws better than him and I don't practice. There are other 7 foot guys out there that never made it but had potential.

And saying the nba has the best 500 players out of 7 billion people is false and misleading for many reasons. First of all more then half of the human population is female based so it's not a fair comparison. Also out of the 7 billion people u can't compare nba players to kids or folks in their 50s, 60s, 70s, ect... Also u have to remember there are a lot of retired nba players. Also what about people from 3rd world countries who never got an opportunity? Also, u have to understand that there are pros in other countries that are also compatible to many US players. They gave the us a competitive run. Also not everyone likes basketball. You guys think that everyone likes the game. Tony Gonzalez played with Kidd at cal but chose the nfl.

I didn't say my friend are better then Lin. But before Lin was discovered he was just another Asian kid. He was in the same boat as a lot of kids. Michael Jordan didn't make the high school team. So it was just a year that made him better. Before that he wasn't even good enough to make high school. Think about it. One growth spurt is the difference between goat and being cut in hs
I see what ur saying, and yes, there are probs some dudes out there who are good enough to play nba but aren't. However, I think ur underestimating nba scrubs. Like I said before, DANIEL GIBSON looked like Jordan. Dude can tomahawk, shoot 3s insane, and can run over anybody. Nba players are much better Dan they look

BlitzForce
12-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Good luck driving on Lin, because he gets a lot of steals in the NBA as is :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJgCU-t-8o8

tpols
12-31-2012, 02:35 AM
Most wnba bitches would run on people here forget it with nba dudes

pnyozzzoo
12-31-2012, 02:45 AM

Sports need focus and constant effort, some dude once were good for some reason they did not get into nba, any nba player can tell you a few people they know in the past were better than them but did not make it.

And then once u did not make it, its over, the margin will increase exponentially by the day. Your body is not working out 8+hrs aday in the most systematic advance way to improve you physically. Forget about how much skill u lost, you simply cannot ran bang and jump with them. If you dun break in, very soon its over. Those high school stars, play on the street even overseas when they faced their old pals they got humbled.

Nevaeh
12-31-2012, 02:50 AM
Right and also the NBA player has to be of reasonable height as well:

Can't put a 6'10" dude out there with a bunch midgets.

Prime Derek Fisher (who's always given the "scrub" title for some idiotic reason) would shatter dreams during a pick up game. Even only being 6 feet would put him in the "average to above average" size on most rec teams. Add in his muscle mass, and his speed (again, prime Fisher) and it wouldn't even be a contest.

I remember hearing stories about how Cuttino Mobley of the Magic and Rockets back in the day would visit Venice Beach in southern California, and would just clown dudes playing the game "street-ball" style, a style that he NEVER used while in the pros. People also underestimate how unbelievably fast these dudes are as well.

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 03:15 AM
Sports need focus and constant effort, some dude once were good for some reason they did not get into nba, any nba player can tell you a few people they know in the past were better than them but did not make it.

And then once u did not make it, its over, the margin will increase exponentially by the day. Your body is not working out 8+hrs aday in the most systematic advance way to improve you physically. Forget about how much skill u lost, you simply cannot ran bang and jump with them. If you dun break in, very soon its over. Those high school stars, play on the street even overseas when they faced their old pals they got humbled.

Well I don't know about that because NBA players that get injured seem to be able to get themselves in shape after injuries and non action for some time. Also, Stephen Jackson doesn't practice or workout in the offseason

LT Ice Cream
12-31-2012, 03:16 AM
I think you have to take the situation into context. Yes, I think there's probably a good amount of guys out there who can beat a NBA player 1-on-1. But that's not how basketball is played at the pro level. A lot of guys in the NBA are hired to do one or two things really well. 1-on-1 is hardly "everything" in a NBA game.

One poster felt that someone like Matt Bonner would get shut down in a streetball game. I'd say that's possible, since he wouldn't have teammates running elaborate plays to free him up. I still think he'd do way better than you imagine though.

So yes, I think theres a good amount of non-pros out there who could beat some NBA guys, but a lot of factors beyond 1-on-1 determine who makes it in the NBA.

inclinerator
12-31-2012, 03:18 AM
Good luck driving on Lin, because he gets a lot of steals in the NBA as is :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJgCU-t-8o8
i watched a long clip of the game and lin wasnt even dominating, probably wasnt trying but just saying

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 03:19 AM
I think you have to take the situation into context. Yes, I think there's probably a good amount of guys out there who can beat a NBA player 1-on-1. But that's not how basketball is played at the pro level. A lot of guys in the NBA are hired to do one or two things really well. 1-on-1 is hardly "everything" in a NBA game.

One poster felt that someone like Matt Bonner would get shut down in a streetball game. I'd say that's possible, since he wouldn't have teammates running elaborate plays to free him up. I still think he'd do way better than you imagine though.

So yes, I think theres a good amount of non-pros out there who could beat some NBA guys, but a lot of factors beyond 1-on-1 determine who makes it in the NBA.

Exactly.

atljonesbro
12-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Exactly.
Then go join the NBA real quick should be easy.

bdreason
12-31-2012, 04:34 AM
People don't realize how well rounded most NBA players are. Just because some NBA players don't shoot jumpers, or handle the ball much, doesn't mean they can't. Try and watch an NBA practice or shoot around sometime, and it will blow your mind.

brandonislegend
12-31-2012, 04:48 AM

I could score atleast 5 points.

tomtucker
12-31-2012, 05:06 AM
Only NBA player that i belive could be beaten in a rec game would be kendrick perkins.....he might dominate on offense , but your team will score alot against him......

D.J.
12-31-2012, 05:26 AM
I knew a guy some years back who was running a camp for kids. One day, he brought some benchwarmer from St. Johns and they played each other 1 on 1 for the kids. This guy was basically the 12th man for St. Johns. He embarrassed the dude. If a 12th man from a college team could do this, picture an NBA player. NBA players are no joke. They're the best players in the world.

It doesn't matter if it's Kobe Bryant, Brian Scalabrine, Kendrick Perkins, or Nate Robinson. There is not a single person on ISH(not even 6'8" 230 me)who could beat any of those guys in a game of 1 on 1. In a game of 21, you'd possibly score 1-2 semi-lucky baskets and that would be it.

brandonislegend
12-31-2012, 05:29 AM
I knew a guy some years back who was running a camp for kids. One day, he brought some benchwarmer from St. Johns and they played each other 1 on 1 for the kids. This guy was basically the 12th man for St. Johns. He embarrassed the dude. If a 12th man from a college team could do this, picture an NBA player. NBA players are no joke. They're the best players in the world.

It doesn't matter if it's Kobe Bryant, Brian Scalabrine, Kendrick Perkins, or Nate Robinson. There is not a single person on ISH(not even 6'8" 230 me)who could beat any of those guys in a game of 1 on 1. In a game of 21, you'd possibly score 1-2 semi-lucky baskets and that would be it.

I could score atleast 5 on some players, including toney douglas.

tomtucker
12-31-2012, 05:37 AM

Kendrick Perkins could not earn a roster spot now if he was at a team camp......he might have been good once, but not anymore.....some of us ISH posters could beat him

Magic bird
12-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Deandre Jordan will cross you over. Marc Gasol will break your ankles, Shaq will shoot 3's right in your grill(Maybe not)

Just because NBA commentators label some players as "Bad ball handlers" Does'nt mean they can't dribble, they still have better dribbling skills than 95% of the basketball players around the world.

Thats the NBA, the elite of the elite.

Magic bird
12-31-2012, 05:38 AM
:rolleyes:

D.J.
12-31-2012, 05:41 AM

Yeah, no. They're much faster than you, much more agile, and have a much higher ball IQ. You might score 1-2 if you're lucky. Me at 6'8", I might be able to score a few(especially if it's against Nate since I have a foot on him) but none of us would do anything.

Kendrick Perkins could not earn a roster spot now if he was at a team camp......he might have been good once, but not anymore.....some of us ISH posters could beat him

He's 6'10" 280 with a superior ball IQ and still in better shape. Some of you really need to be humbled.

brandonislegend
12-31-2012, 05:42 AM
I have played against NBA players multiple times, and good ones at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI5Nw22V-ds

I am in the grey muscle shirt, I have played in Drew the last couple summers. I could score 5 in a game to 21 against Toney Douglas.

Brandon Nevens

Magic bird
12-31-2012, 05:44 AM
I have played against NBA players multiple times, and good ones at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI5Nw22V-ds

I am in the grey muscle shirt, I have played in Drew the last couple summers. I could score 5 in a game to 21 against Toney Douglas.

Brandon Nevens

Is that guy actually you? Pics or it didnt happen.

brandonislegend
12-31-2012, 05:46 AM
I am not going to do this again, ask CF86 we got a in huge argument once and yeah I did a bunch of shit to prove it. add me on fb if uwant

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah, no. They're much faster than you, much more agile, and have a much higher ball IQ. You might score 1-2 if you're lucky. Me at 6'8", I might be able to score a few(especially if it's against Nate since I have a foot on him) but none of us would do anything.

He's 6'10" 280 with a superior ball IQ and still in better shape. Some of you really need to be humbled.

If you are 6 foot 8, you should be able to score on Nate Robinson almost every time. If you can get to the basket, he can never block you. Just throw up pump fakes. If he doesn't bate, it doesn't matter. Have some pride, and don't admit defeat to a midget

D.J.
12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
If you are 6 foot 8, you should be able to score on Nate Robinson almost every time. If you can get to the basket, he can never block you. Just throw up pump fakes. If he doesn't bate, it doesn't matter. Have some pride, and don't admit defeat to a midget

You do realize Nate's vertical is well over 40 inches? He's much faster and has a faster pair of hands. If I could score on him at will, then I should be in the NBA, even at 34.

Magic bird
12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
I am not going to do this again, ask CF86 we got a in huge argument once and yeah I did a bunch of shit to prove it. add me on fb if uwant

Fair enough, Im not trying to disprove you or anything.

brandonislegend
12-31-2012, 05:52 AM

:facepalm

tomtucker
12-31-2012, 06:20 AM

would smaller, faster guys not run around him ?

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 06:36 AM
You do realize Nate's vertical is well over 40 inches? He's much faster and has a faster pair of hands. If I could score on him at will, then I should be in the NBA, even at 34.

No just because you should score on Nate doesn't mean you should be in the NBA, that is not so. Biedrins can score on Nate, that doesn't mean he's an all star. Because there are 6 foot 9 players on every team that can stop you. But Nate's role is not to guard the 6 foot 9 players. It's to score off the bench.

dajadeed
12-31-2012, 06:52 AM
No just because you should score on Nate doesn't mean you should be in the NBA, that is not so. Biedrins can score on Nate, that doesn't mean he's an all star. Because there are 6 foot 9 players on every team that can stop you. But Nate's role is not to guard the 6 foot 9 players. It's to score off the bench.

Just stop posting.

Thanks.

brandonislegend
12-31-2012, 06:59 AM

:wtf:

Screamingdoom
12-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I reckon Steve Nash would be an insane player to play in 1 on 1. He would never miss.

TheFastOne
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
I reckon Steve Nash would be an insane player to play in 1 on 1. He would never miss.
He would just step back and shoot. Same for Allen and other 3pt specialists.

JMT
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM

Then you're either very young or very dumb or both.

Nick Young
12-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Considering the fact that Brian Scalabrine was dominating in the Italian professional basketball league to the tune of 16 ppg at 70% FG (yes 70) I'm pretty sure he could get off any shot he wanted in a pickup game. He could probably drive and dunk all 11 baskets if he wanted to but it would be easier for him to just hit easy jumpers which in his eyes would basically be uncontested.

In average pickup games Brian Scalabrine would basically be Lebron James with the shooting of Ray Allen, in other words, the perfect basketball player.

Nick Young
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
That guy isnt unknown, he was a streetball legend in the UK, basically Rafer Alston of the UK and Devon didn't see it coming.

tomtucker
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Considering the fact that Brian Scalabrine was dominating in the Italian professional basketball league to the tune of 16 ppg at 70% FG (yes 70) I'm pretty sure he could get off any shot he wanted in a pickup game. He could probably drive and dunk all 11 baskets if he wanted to but it would be easier for him to just hit easy jumpers which in his eyes would basically be uncontested.

In average pickup games Brian Scalabrine would basically be Lebron James with the shooting of Ray Allen, in other words, the perfect basketball player.
Brian Scalabrine is Lebron James with the shooting of Ray Allen :bowdown:

brantonli
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Just to put things into our perspective, you know the carnival basketball hoops which are really far away and the baskets are too small?

I was at universal studios LA last week, and asked the guy there if any NBA players came to the park. Apparently during the lockout, a bunch of them (not sure lakers or clippers) did and completely wiped out all of the prizes on every single stall. Not just the shooting ones, all of the stalls.

Teanett
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
That guy isnt unknown, he was a streetball legend in the UK, basically Rafer Alston of the UK and Devon didn't see it coming.

i'm sure if devin was prepared he'd beat him 11-0.
just seemed a good occasion to post the video.

jbryan1984
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
There was a kid that went to high school about 15 minutes from me. I played against him, he is hands down the most talented guy I ever played against. Not that I was anything special but I just thought "wow" at him. Total Package. His name was something Robinson I think (didn't know him personally). Anyway, I heard he went overseas and got cut after college (not sure where he went to school). I'm just pointing this out to show how good NBA players are. They are one in a million. This guy who I thought was so great could not even make a team in a non NBA affiliated league (and I doubt it was THE Euroleague either).

jamal99
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
This reminds me of my friend claiming that he would beat an 10-15 ranked UFC LW in a fight. He is 6'7 190 with a year of muay thai training, his only advantage would be reach and the explosiveness of pro MMA fighter would probably nullify it.

So, any pro player (and also in the best league in he world) would shit on everyone whose rank is not close to that.
I witnessed pro and former pro bball players destroying pick up games and they weren't even close to NBA...

atljonesbro
12-31-2012, 02:41 PM
The SACJB guy is just a young kid who thinks he's a world class athlete because he made his highschool basketball team. Just to put things into perspective Tony Douglas averaged 28.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg and 4.0 apg in highschool. Douglas averaged 34 ppg in his senior season. That's without the insane training and skills that he's gained since joining the NBA.

BlueandGold
12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
This same exact topic/thread seems to come up every couple of months. Normally what happens is that the OP stops being delusional or seeks help.

andremiller07
12-31-2012, 02:51 PM
From what I seen most divi 2 good college ballers (that play 2nd division basketball in Australia) would kill in pick up let alone a NBA player, Dan Dikau right now would destory any rec/street league probably let alone in his prime.

NBA4EVER
12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
This same exact topic/thread seems to come up every couple of months. Normally what happens is that the OP stops being delusional or seeks help.

ya this topic always starts a huge debate

ukballer
12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRKRDZD7OM

KG215
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM

Matt Bonner is 6'10". He wouldn't need elaborate plays ran for him to get a shot off. And what we would consider a contested jumper in a pick-up game would just be a regular shot for an NBA player.

inclinerator
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRKRDZD7OM
lol look at the d, nobody is even within 10 feet of him

Colbertnation64
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
The SACJB guy is just a young kid who thinks he's a world class athlete because he made his highschool basketball team. Just to put things into perspective Tony Douglas averaged 28.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg and 4.0 apg in highschool. Douglas averaged 34 ppg in his senior season. That's without the insane training and skills that he's gained since joining the NBA.
TROY MURPHY

"Murphy was a three-time all-county and two-time All-State performer for the Delbarton School in Morristown and coach Dan Whalen. His breakout year was as a sophomore when he averaged 20.5 points per game and 11.8 rebounds, earning first team all-county honors. He followed up his sophomore year with a successful junior campaign, averaging 23.5 points and 10.5 rebounds and All-State honors. His senior year would be his most successful season as he led Delbarton to a 20

Darius
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I remember playing against Baron Davis's team in AAU ball and he fvcking destroyed us. Unguardable, dunking on everyone.

Then after the game, he took off his jersey and he was wearing weight vest.

fatboy11
12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
How does Toney Douglas become the representative for the lowest level of NBA players?

He's actually a good NBA player.

But anyway, there are people out there that played in college (various levels) and even high school that would be able to play a pick up game with a lower level NBA player and not necessarily get embarrassed. However, I don't think that's what the question is. I think the question is if a lower level NBA player showed up at a random park and played with "average" people. I'd say someone who played in college isn't your average playground baller.

This may shock some, but there's quite a few people not in the NBA that are just as good as many NBA players. They just never got a good opportunity or in the right situation to succeed. There's so few spots in the NBA and so few chances for most to prove themselves. Just being in the NBA doesn't automatically mean you can dominate ANYONE that isn't in the NBA. It does mean that you're going dominate an average person.

jlip
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM
To put things into perspective, most American born NBA players, even the 12th man on most rosters, were either McDonald's All Americans or at worst, dominant local high school superstars at ages 17 and 18. That alone means that at those ages they were already better than probably 80% of the b-ball players in their city. Now add 5-10 years of development, maturity, and experience against NBA level competition, and that dominant McDonald's All American is probably 5 times better than he was coming out of high school.

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
To put things into perspective, most American born NBA players, even the 12th man on most rosters, were either McDonald's All Americans or at worst, dominant local high school superstars at ages 17 and 18. That alone means that at those ages they were already better than probably 80% of the b-ball players in their city. Now add 5-10 years of development, maturity, and experience against NBA level competition, and that dominant McDonald's All American is probably 5 times better than he was coming out of high school.

Yea but it doesn't matter. From a raw talent perspective there are plenty of guys out there who could compete with these pros one on one. I'm not saying the average person can. I'm just saying that in the whole entire world, there are some that do have the talent but never made it. As far as the 5 to 10 year development thing, that only goes against your argument because just think if the non NBA player was even more developed. And also, streetball is much different.

TheAesirsFinest
12-31-2012, 04:27 PM
I remember playing against Baron Davis's team in AAU ball and he fvcking destroyed us. Unguardable, dunking on everyone.

:oldlol: Nice twist at the end.

La Frescobaldi
12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
The rs1815739 mutation

A mutation (rs1815739; R577X) has been identified in the ACTN3 gene which results in a deficiency of alpha-actinin 3 in a significant proportion of the population.[3] Based on ethnicity the deficiency is found in 20-50% of people. Generally, Africans have the lowest incidence of the mutation whilst Asians have the highest. Scientists believe that variations in this gene evolved to accommodate the energy expenditure requirements of people in various parts of the world.

Studies have linked the fiber twitch type with ACTN3, i.e. fast twitch fiber abundant individuals carry the non-mutant gene version. Also, studies in elite athletes have shown that the ACTN3 gene may influence athletic performance. Whilst the non-mutant version of the gene is associated with sprint performance, the mutant version is associated with endurance.[4][5][6][7][8]

This article goes a bit more in depth, showing studies conducted have shown people with the mutation have more stamina and endurance, people without the mutation are faster and may jump higher.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180686/

TheMarkMadsen
12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Yea but it doesn't matter. From a raw talent perspective there are plenty of guys out there who could compete with these pros one on one. I'm not saying the average person can. I'm just saying that in the whole entire world, there are some that do have the talent but never made it. As far as the 5 to 10 year development thing, that only goes against your argument because just think if the non NBA player was even more developed. And also, streetball is much different.

this thread has exposed you for being the 14 year old boy you are

Rake2204
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM

Then after the game, he took off his jersey and he was wearing weight vest.Haha, awesome.

Darius
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Haha, awesome.

I was just glad I was watching from the bench the whole game :oldlol:

tmacattack33
12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
How does Toney Douglas become the representative for the lowest level of NBA players?

He's actually a good NBA player.

But anyway, there are people out there that played in college (various levels) and even high school that would be able to play a pick up game with a lower level NBA player and not necessarily get embarrassed. However, I don't think that's what the question is. I think the question is if a lower level NBA player showed up at a random park and played with "average" people. I'd say someone who played in college isn't your average playground baller.

This may shock some, but there's quite a few people not in the NBA that are just as good as many NBA players. They just never got a good opportunity or in the right situation to succeed. There's so few spots in the NBA and so few chances for most to prove themselves. Just being in the NBA doesn't automatically mean you can dominate ANYONE that isn't in the NBA. It does mean that you're going dominate an average person.

No.

There is plenty of opportunity for a talented young basketball player to prove himself. The high school season has plenty of games. The college season has 30 games or whatever. That's plenty of chance for a player to prove himself (barring an injury that messes up someone's career and destroys his chance to prove himself...or a criminal record that makes colleges decide not to recruit a guy or something).

If you really are that good, you should be able to prove yourself in 120 college games (30 each season).

You're comments make it seem like you are talking about the music business.

knickswin
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
man, adam morrison tore up summer league this year. looked like larry bird (yes, racist) out there. he would dominate just about any playground.

fatboy11
12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
No.

There is plenty of opportunity for a talented young basketball player to prove himself. The high school season has plenty of games. The college season has 30 games or whatever. That's plenty of chance for a player to prove himself (barring an injury that messes up someone's career and destroys his chance to prove himself...or a criminal record that makes colleges decide not to recruit a guy or something).

If you really are that good, you should be able to prove yourself in 120 college games (30 each season).

You're comments make it seem like you are talking about the music business.

I'm talking about at the NBA level. There's only so many spots at the NBA level, and there are hundreds of players (within a few years of each other) that are on the same talent level coming out of college trying to get in. Naturally, only so many are going to get in. It's a simple numbers game. The 60 players drafted each draft aren't necessarily the top 60 eligible players. But will some of those guys that didn't get drafted get a fair shot to make it in the NBA? That's what I'm saying. That fact that there are American professional players outside the NBA right now better than a number of current NBA players backs up my point.

There aren't NBA scouts at every college's games. And then there's the paradox of players picking the wrong college to go to properly showcase their talents/skills and how far that sets them back in their quest to make it to the NBA.

You're trying to over-simply how it works. Maybe I'm trying to make it seem harder than it really is, but you're definitely over-simplifying the process and all the various factors that go into how a player truly gets discovered as an NBA talent.

lakerspng
12-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I've played against guys who were in the league, as well as guys who had that level of skill but not the mental focus to stick through and stay in it... and on my really good days I could hold my own (talking guys under 6'2 of course). But that was when I was in my early/mid 20s and really athletic, in great shape and was playing 4-5 times a week against those same really good players.

Now... At 38, I'm still athletic (much better than your average american), can shoot really solid even from behind NBA 3 point line, have a few tricks up my sleeve... but I would get freakin slaughtered.

I was a hell of an athlete, had a really good shot, could hit from just about anywhere on the court, could drive past anyone in a pickup game and was lucky to even be close to the lower level NBA players. I couldn't imagine having to guard a CP3, Rondo, Westbrook (Mentioning PGs cause I'm only 6')... they're freakin stupid good.

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
I've played against guys who were in the league, as well as guys who had that level of skill but not the mental focus to stick through and stay in it... and on my really good days I could hold my own (talking guys under 6'2 of course). But that was when I was in my early/mid 20s and really athletic, in great shape and was playing 4-5 times a week against those same really good players.

Now... At 38, I'm still athletic (much better than your average american), can shoot really solid even from behind NBA 3 point line, have a few tricks up my sleeve... but I would get freakin slaughtered.

I was a hell of an athlete, had a really good shot, could hit from just about anywhere on the court, could drive past anyone in a pickup game and was lucky to even be close to the lower level NBA players. I couldn't imagine having to guard a CP3, Rondo, Westbrook (Mentioning PGs cause I'm only 6')... they're freakin stupid good.

can u beat jeremy lin?

lakerspng
12-31-2012, 06:04 PM
can u beat jeremy lin?

maybe with a bat in an alley. on a court, in a game of 21, I'd get to maybe 6 points.

D.J.
12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
would smaller, faster guys not run around him ?

You only see Perkins against world class athletes. He's still quick compared to your average Joe Schmoe at the park, even at 6'10" 280. His conditioning is also 10x better.

Biedrins is also an NBA level talent.

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 06:09 PM
maybe with a bat in an alley. on a court, in a game of 21, I'd get to maybe 6 points.

Have some pride. You're gonna let that asian kid dominate you?

KungFuJoe
12-31-2012, 06:15 PM

How are you not banned yet? Are there any mods on ISH?

Or are you considered one of those retarded, but harmless kids? The guy wearing the helmet who rocks back and forth while talking to himself?

TheMarkMadsen
12-31-2012, 06:15 PM

who are you to talk about pride? you named yourself after eminems ball sack

tmacattack33
12-31-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm talking about at the NBA level. There's only so many spots at the NBA level, and there are hundreds of players (within a few years of each other) that are on the same talent level coming out of college trying to get in. Naturally, only so many are going to get in. It's a simple numbers game. The 60 players drafted each draft aren't necessarily the top 60 eligible players. But will some of those guys that didn't get drafted get a fair shot to make it in the NBA? That's what I'm saying. That fact that there are American professional players outside the NBA right now better than a number of current NBA players backs up my point.

There aren't NBA scouts at every college's games. And then there's the paradox of players picking the wrong college to go to properly showcase their talents/skills and how far that sets them back in their quest to make it to the NBA.

You're trying to over-simply how it works. Maybe I'm trying to make it seem harder than it really is, but you're definitely over-simplifying the process and all the various factors that go into how a player truly gets discovered as an NBA talent.

Ok cool. It seemed at first like you were saying that many people can slip through the cracks.

But yeah, a few might not get a chance to shine. But not too many. Even the undrafted guys, if they are good enough, should be able to shine in the D-League or Euroleagues and if they really are good enough, they can get a chance to make the NBA.

SacJB Shady
12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
who are you to talk about pride? you named yourself after eminems ball sack

no, i went on eharmony and my buddy told me to not use my real name and made one up and said sac shady jb or somethin and then i got hooked on that name

lakerspng
12-31-2012, 06:29 PM

Not sure what race has to do with it, played against plenty of good asian players and plenty of bad white and black players. I know you're just trying to be funny.

SpecialQue
01-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Let's say some scrub like Toney Douglas shows up and wants to play a pickup 5vs5..

Would he dominate and potentially score all 11 points?

I know this is a late bump, but I just wanted to say that this maybe the most idiotic thing I've ever seen posted on the internet. I'm including shit like YouTube comments when I say this. Fewer posts have so perfectly encapsulated the disconnect between random dumbasses online and the real world than this topic.

Have you ever seen Hoop Dreams? If not, watch it. The two kids profiled were selected by scouts because they had something "special" when compared to other kids playing ball on the streets. They both were groomed to be basketball players, with one going to a school that specialized in this and another having to drop out due to shit grades. They both ended up getting courted by colleges because of their promising, superior basketball skills. These two kids could probably kick your ass and all your friend's asses in a game of pick up, and they failed to get drafted by the NBA.

The worst player in the NBA (unless they have a freakish height) was the best of the best of the best of the best. "Pretty good" players can't even sniff these opportunities. Michael Cage, right now at 50, could probably kick your ass in a pick up game. Smush Parker would school you so bad you'd probably curl up into a ball and cry yourself to sleep, then trash both your basketball and your shoes.

How good are NBA players? Unless you're already in the NBA, exponentially better than you.

Knicksfever2010
01-11-2013, 10:21 PM

to be fair, allen iverson and jamal crawford dont "breath basketball"

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
to be fair, allen iverson and jamal crawford dont "breath basketball"

seriously? Crawford is famous for playing pick up ball all day erry day 24/7

and from watching AI on the court i have a hard time believing that dude didn't "breath" basketball, his passion was hard to match and he gave 110% every night out.

When you're 5'11 160 pounds you kind of HAVE to breath basketball if you want any chance of making it to the NBA, let alone being good enough to win an MVP

TheMan
01-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Derrick Rose, hobbled right now and recovering from his knee surgery and prolly at 50% healthy, would crush anyone one of us' soul in a 1 v 1, and not break a sweat.

The NBA's worst "scrub" would maul anyone here.

Silly thread

LikeABosh
01-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Tony Douglas is like 6' 3", muscular and elite athleticism. He looks bad against the best players the world has to offer. He'd be taller than most of the guys considered "big men" in a pick up game

Mr Exlax
01-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Wait wait wait this guy said Tony Douglas is a scrub? I didn't even ready past that part. He's a quality back up PG in the NBA lol. i gotta go back and read all this lol.

TheMan
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM

I remember back in the mid 90's when Jud Buechler and a couple of his friends showed up at one of the basketball courts I used to play at. This is a guy who was a spot up shooter who averaged 3.3 ppg in a 10 year NBA career and he demolished everyone, including the MJ wannabe black kids who were considered great streetballers, he went left or right on them, posted them up, grabbed a bunch of rebs, dunked on his men (a lot of kids took turns trying to guard him, lol) and drained wet jumpers from 24 ft out with a hand on his face.

Very humbling expirience and that's when I knew all NBA players are elite athletes.

jstern
01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I remember back in the mid 90's when Jud Buechler and a couple of his friends showed up at one of the basketball courts I used to play at. This is a guy who was a spot up shooter who averaged 3.3 ppg in a 10 year NBA career and he demolished everyone, including the MJ wannabe black kids who were considered great streetballers, he went left or right on them, posted them up, grabbed a bunch of rebs, dunked on his men (a lot of kids took turns trying to guard him, lol) and drained wet jumpers from 24 ft out with a hand on his face.

Very humbling expirience and that's when I knew all NBA players are elite athletes.

I think anyone in the NBA who can shoot 33% and up from the 3 point line can destroy pretty much any street baller. I know this guy who's like 56 and like 5'4" tall that regular beats the 16 17 year olds where I play simply because of his jumper. (Defense too. Hand checks too much.) The average person is very flawed.

chocolatethunder
01-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I think anyone in the NBA who can shoot 33% and up from the 3 point line can destroy pretty much any street baller. I know this guy who's like 56 and like 5'4" tall that regular beats the 16 17 year olds where I play simply because of his jumper. (Defense too. Hand checks too much.) The average person is very flawed.
No. Pretty much anyone in the NBA can destroy any street baller regardless of their shooting %. If you've ever played w/against an NBA scrub then you'd no this immediately. I can name dudes I've played with and against who most people on this board wouldn't know their names but they were always the best on the court regardless of the competition.

TheMan
01-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I know the type...gotta keep in mind that they grew up in an era where hand checking was legal and if you call fouls on them, they'll most prolly call you a fakkit crybaby:oldlol:

SsKSpurs21
01-23-2013, 06:23 PM
No. Pretty much anyone in the NBA can destroy any street baller regardless of their shooting %. If you've ever played w/against an NBA scrub then you'd no this immediately. I can name dudes I've played with and against who most people on this board wouldn't know their names but they were always the best on the court regardless of the competition.

very true. derrick dial was a 15th man on the spurs in the early 2000s. he lived in my parents neighborhood. he couldnt even make it in the game but when he played with us at the neighborhood court he was like MJ, just completely unstoppable.

the guy wasnt even playing at 100% either. he was coasting the entire time. maybe about 40-50% effort, just running around to get some cardio in.

at the time, thats when i thought, if derrick dial is this good, how good are guys like kobe and tmac? that blew my mind!

jstern
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM

I believe that too, I just said 33% meaning that there's no way in hell any street baller would be Jud Buechler.

I know the type...gotta keep in mind that they grew up in an era where hand checking was legal and if you call fouls on them, they'll most prolly call you a fakkit crybaby:oldlol:

I don't call foul or anything because it makes me a better player. It forces me to do so many more moves than simply just driving and laying it up.

Sampsonsimpson
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted this but

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/brian-scalabrine-dominated-competition-boston-one-one-challenge-231654445--nba.html

LikeABosh
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I remember playing against BJ Armstrong back in the late 90's. Guy was unreal. Couldn't be stopped. I was running with some really good players, some former D 1 guys, but BJ made us look like a joke.

Money 23
01-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I remember playing against BJ Armstrong back in the late 90's. Guy was unreal. Couldn't be stopped. I was running with some really good players, some former D 1 guys, but BJ made us look like a joke.
Seriously.

The separation of NBA scrubs from even pretty decent D-1 players is QUITE noticeable.

They are no joke. Whenever I hear some punk say they could out ball an NBA scrub, I laugh ... cause they've clearly never seen them in person or playing against average to even above average former HS and College players.

Then after you see an average NBA player, a scrub or journeyman and you're impressed with their play in a more normal setting and they look like they can't be stopped ...

THEN picture the best of the best (NBA superstars) and what they can do given the opportunity. They clown NBA players. Now imagine what they would do with your Lifetime Fitness pick up crew.

01-23-2013, 10:11 PM
For all the crap Jeremy Lin gets for being a scrub or average or nothing special, I think he would whoop 99% of the people on this forum.

:roll: :roll:

Wally450
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
For all the crap Jeremy Lin gets for being a scrub or average or nothing special, I know he would whoop 100% of the people on this forum.

:roll: :roll:

Fixed.

jstern
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Also it's not just that they're professionals, but imagine how much better the non professional would be if they got to play basketball for hours a day and not have to worry about anything else. As well as having coaches, great nutrition and expert trainers. Years of such a life, the average person would be so much better. Their timing and everything else would be so much better than their current self. That's another advantage that an NBA scrub has. But even if the average person got to live such a life, they would probably still not be able to beat an NBA scrub.

AussieG
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Also it's not just that they're professionals, but imagine how much better the non professional would be if they got to play basketball for hours a day and not have to worry about anything else. As well as having coaches, great nutrition and expert trainers. Years of such a life, the average person would be so much better. Their timing and everything else would be so much better than their current self. That's another advantage that an NBA scrub has. But even if the average person got to live such a life, they would probably still not be able to beat an NBA scrub.
Good point.

HiphopRelated
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Kendrick avg 28/16/8 blks in high school

01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Kendrick avg 28/16/8 blks in high school

I would also add that Dennis Rodman, and Bruce Bowen were 20+PPG in college.

I don't know about Ben Wallace but I think his scoring average at VA Union was a respectable ~18PPG

HoopsFanNumero1
12-06-2013, 06:13 PM

The thread should've ended here...