PDA

View Full Version : In random news: Quentin Tarantino mentions his mother dated Wilt Chamberlain

Basketball Fan
01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Well I guess you could call it "dating"

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201301/tarantino-says-his-mom-dated-wilt-chamberlain

[QUOTE]Tarantino: My Mom Dated Wilt Chamberlain

It's well known that Wilt Chamberlain enjoyed being with lots of women. While the 20,000 figure that he once floated might be a little high, it's safe to say that he got around.

And as it turns out, one of the women that Chamberlain dated was Connie McHugh. If that name doesn't sound familiar, you'll definitely recognize her son: Quentin Tarantino.

Yup, that's right. In a recent interview on NPR, Tarantino revealed that his mother dated the Hall of Famer and four-time NBA MVP. While the entire interview can be heard on NPR's website, here's the transcript of Tarantino discussing his mother with host Terry Gross (at around the 31:30 mark of the interview).

Tarantino:

Chapallaz
01-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Who am I to doubt Tarantino's colorful imagination?

Whoah10115
01-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Tarantino has a lot of problems.

JohnnySic
01-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Someone tell Tarantino that the 70's sucked.

El Kabong
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
HA! Take that Spike Lee! Now you can't complain about him using "******" in his movies all the time.

DuMa
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3pr4s2.jpg

AngelEyes
01-04-2013, 10:14 PM
HA! Take that Spike Lee! Now you can't complain about him using "******" in his movies all the time.

Do people still care what Spike Lee thinks?

El Kabong
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Do people still care what Spike Lee thinks?
Apparently? Every time Tarantino releases a movie his name gets splashed out all over the place cause he invariably has an issue with something in the film.

Myth
01-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I can't wait for Spike Lee's reaction to QT's next movie, simply titled "N*gger."

Whoah10115
01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Lee won't even see Django Unchained, in honor of his ancestors...yea, ok.

I can't wait for Spike Lee's reaction to QT's next movie, simply titled "N*gger."

:roll:

That made me laugh out loud.

AngelEyes
01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Lee is a sanctimonious asswipe, always has been.

Myth
01-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Spike Lee is mad that today's white men want to be black? That is more of a social commentary in itself than the movie.

TaLvsCuaL
01-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Lee is a sanctimonious asswipe, always has been.
Sanctimonious? I doubt it, is an idiot who thinks he is the ultimate defender of the black race, and really is a mediocre director who uses racism for profit, and paradoxically is racist.

AngelEyes
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Sanctimonious? I doubt it, is an idiot who thinks he is the ultimate defender of the black race, and really is a mediocre director who uses racism for profit, and paradoxically is racist.

His best days are far behind him. His best work still doesn't hold up in comparison to someone like Tarantino.

TaLvsCuaL
01-05-2013, 12:00 AM
His best days are far behind him. His best work still doesn't hold up in comparison to someone like Tarantino.
I concur

Rake2204
01-05-2013, 01:01 AM

That made me laugh out loud.Haha, me too.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 02:11 AM
To you, maybe. That doesn't make it so.

Lee's "Do the Right Thing" and Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" are probably considered the best from both directors. They're rated about the same by movie critics -- Lee (96%), Tarantino (95%).

I don't care for Tarantino, and much prefer Lee's work. Admittedly, the former has been more productive, of late, but some of his obsessions are ludicrous. His next step will be to claim that he's one of Chamberlain's illegitimate children.

Yes, Spike can be pompous, but at his best he made some of the most iconic movies in film history, and that should be acknowledged.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 02:59 AM
To you, maybe. That doesn't make it so.

Lee's "Do the Right Thing" and Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" are probably considered the best from both directors. They're rated about the same by movie critics -- Lee (96%), Tarantino (95%).

I don't care for Tarantino, and much prefer Lee's work. Admittedly, the former has been more productive, of late, but some of his obsessions are ludicrous. His next step will be to claim that he's one of Chamberlain's illegitimate children.

Yes, Spike can be pompous, but at his best he made some of the most iconic movies in film history, and that should be acknowledged.

Inside Man is the only really good picture he's done in the last 15 years and even that doesn't compare to Tarantino's work. At his best he was excellent, I wouldn't call him a historically great director though.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:09 AM
At his best he was excellent, I wouldn't call him a historically great director though.
I would. He directed a movie that's on the list of all-time greats. What more proof do you need?

Graviton
01-05-2013, 03:11 AM
What the **** was so great about "Do the right thing"? Bunch of angry ghetto people burn down a store after a retarded black guy acts like a criminal in a private business, resists arrest and gets killed as a result. They even tried to burn down the poor asian guy's store for no reason.

What exactly was so historically deep, enlightening and "good" about the movie? The fact that some black folk are too narrow minded and emotional and riot at every opportunity? Like when Lakers win a championship they all get out and terrorize the streets for no reason.

Kurosawa0
01-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Anyone that thinks Django disrespects victims of slavery they clearly haven't seen the movie. Its 100% about African American empowerment.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
What the **** was so great about "Do the right thing"? Bunch of angry ghetto people burn down a store after a retarded black guy acts like a criminal in a private business, resists arrest and gets killed as a result. They even tried to burn down the poor asian guy's store for no reason.

What exactly was so historically deep, enlightening and "good" about the movie? The fact that some black folk are too narrow minded and emotional and riot at every opportunity? Like when Lakers win a championship they all get out and terrorize the streets for no reason.

:applause: Excellent post

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Anyone that thinks Django disrespects victims of slavery they clearly haven't seen the movie. Its 100% about African American empowerment.

Now Kurosawa was an example of a truly great director.

Mrofir
01-05-2013, 03:17 AM

this made me laugh. Btw Django is a damn good movie.

Mrofir
01-05-2013, 03:18 AM
:applause: Excellent post

racist applauding a racist sentiment. :rolleyes:

Kurosawa0
01-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Now Kurosawa was an example of a truly great director.

neither of these two could even sniff him.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:21 AM

Ironic indeed. Speaking of being narrow-minded, that actually defines what you've just said.

Why don't you go look at some lists of the top 100 all-time U.S. movies? You'll find "Do the Right Thing" there.

Apparently, people who judge movies professionally feel it deserves to be listed among the best. I'll trust their judgment over some ignorant, crappy message board poster.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:22 AM

I'm a racist, how? Because I don't think Spike Lee is that great of a director? Because I don't think Do the Right Thing was groundbreaking? Go drive into a wall you worthless sack of shit.

Graviton
01-05-2013, 03:22 AM
I guess pointing out the obvious flaws in a movie and stating facts is racist nowadays.

Keep living in your bubble.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Keep living in your bubble.
Someone who obviously lives in a bubble is accusing others of doing so.

Again, ironic indeed.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:27 AM

I wouldn't have expressed his sentiment the same way, I wouldn't have said "angry, ghetto people" but what I did agree with was that it wasn't groundbreaking, nor was it a truly great film in my opinion. Your comment was both baseless and negligent, as well as idiotic. Go play the race card somewhere else you insufferable prick.

Graviton
01-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Ironic indeed. Speaking of being narrow-minded, that actually defines what you've just said.

Why don't you go look at some lists of the top 100 all-time U.S. movies? You'll find "Do the Right Thing" there.

Apparently, people who judge movies professionally feel it deserves to be listed among the best. I'll trust their judgment over some ignorant, crappy message board poster.
You sound like a sheep, referring to popular opinion rather than presenting your own detailed view with some insight. I guess everything that has numbers is amazing.

"Justin Bieber's "Baby" has 1 billion views on Youtube, I will trust their judgment on good music over some ignorant message board poster"

I guess we can't even criticize politicians if they have high enough approval ratings and are supported by "professionals". Keep following the herd, when you get the mental strength to form an independent thought, feel free to respond with some actual content rather than immature insults and deflections.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:30 AM
what I did agree with was that it wasn't groundbreaking, nor was it a truly great film in my opinion.
Films that aren't great don't end up on top all-time lists. I'll leave it at that.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:34 AM
You sound like a sheep, referring to popular opinion rather than presenting your own detailed view with some insight. I guess everything that has numbers is amazing.

"Justin Bieber's "Baby" has 1 billion views on Youtube, I will trust their judgment on good music over some ignorant message board poster"

I guess we can't even criticize politicians if they have high enough approval ratings and are supported by "professionals". Keep following the herd, when you get the mental strength to form an independent thought, feel free to respond with some actual content rather than immature insults and deflections.
:facepalm

Another education system fail. You can't even put together a logical argument, and yet you have the nerve to call other people "sheep"?

It takes some self-awareness for a fool to realize his true state. I see you haven't reached that point in your development yet.

Graviton
01-05-2013, 03:40 AM
:facepalm

Another education system fail. You can't even put together a logical argument, and yet you have the nerve to call other people "sheep"?

It takes some self-awareness for a fool to realize his true state. I see you haven't reached that point in your development yet.
You are doing a good job of presenting a logical argument for sure, I like all the facts in your post. And yet more chidish insults and deflections. You utilize ad hominem perfectly.*

Do the right thing is also not in the Top 100 on IMDB, I don't know where you got that from. But yea, keep dodging the issue and avoiding the actual point.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:41 AM

Your comment is also a fine example of what is wrong with society today. Playing the race card in ludicrous, unsuitable situations, which only succeeds in discouraging people from playing the race card when it is pertinent. You have succeeded in outing yourself as an atrocious poster and a shady, if not detestable human being, congrats.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:46 AM
You are doing a good job of presenting a logical argument for sure, I like all the facts in your post. And yet more chidish insults and deflections. You utilize ad hominem perfectly.*

Do the right thing is also not in the Top 100 on IMDB, I don't know where you got that from. But yea, keep dodging the issue and avoiding the actual point.
its in the top 100 all-time U.S. films, as judged the the American Film Institute. I'm not sure if the IMDB list you're looking at is focused on American movies.

I wouldn't waste my time to post a detailed presentation on why "Do the Right Thing" is a great movie for the benefit of someone who's so obviously, and ignorantly, biased against it.

andgar923
01-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Let's get back to the REAL topic here

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Films that aren't great don't end up on top all-time lists. I'll leave it at that.

That's a very weak argument and I think you realize that. There are many films on all time lists which generate a lot of discussion and disagreement, just because a movie is placed on a list doesn't mean it can never be questioned, that is an absurd approach to take. I also didn't consider Lee an all time great because I don't feel his body of work is that remarkable. I thought Malcolm X was a good, but not great film and I thought Inside Man was another good film, but which could not be considered great. To me he's a director who makes good, somewhat interesting films, but does not belong on the pantheon of great directors.

Graviton
01-05-2013, 03:55 AM
its in the top 100 all-time U.S. films, as judged the the American Film Institute. I'm not sure if the IMDB list you're looking at is focused on American movies.

I wouldn't waste my time to post a detailed presentation on why "Do the Right Thing" is a great movie for the benefit of someone who's so obviously, and ignorantly, biased against it.
Honestly, I may have come off biased, but I am just wondering what exactly made it great. I heard all the praise, watched it with high expectations. It started off great, I was loving all the characters, then in the end they all just went nuts for no reason and the Italian restaurant owner was victimized. I would have stayed with the main character if he actually stopped everyone and reasoned with them instead of joining in, directing anger at the wrong individual and presenting senseless violence.

I am just interested in your own view on the matter. I don't know, maybe that was the purpose of the movie; to showcase how people can change.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 03:56 AM
When the AFI originally released their list in 1998 of the top 100 movies Do The Right Thing wasn't even on it, it wasn't until the revised list of 2007 that it was added. Even the list which you are referencing didn't have the film originally on it. It's never going to be considered one of the films garnering GOAT status, it's also only one film, no truly brilliant director has only one great film in their repertoire.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:56 AM
That's a very weak argument and I think you realize that. There are many films on all time lists which generate a lot of discussion and disagreement, just because a movie is placed on a list doesn't mean it can never be questioned, that is an absurd approach to take. I also didn't consider Lee an all time great because I don't feel his body of work is that remarkable. I thought Malcolm X was a good, but not great film and I thought Inside Man was another good film, but which could not be considered great. To me he's a director who makes good, somewhat interesting films, but does not belong on the pantheon of great directors.
It is not a weak argument. Many thousands of movies have been directed in the U.S., and if a film is judged by a professional organization in the industry to be among the best, that says something -- whether or not you want to acknowledge it.

As to your evaluation of Lee in a historical context as a director, it was well reasoned, and I respect it as your opinion.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 03:59 AM
When the AFI originally released their list in 1998 of the top 100 movies Do The Right Thing wasn't even on it, it wasn't until the revised list of 2007 that it was added. Even the list which you are referencing didn't have the film originally on it. It's never going to be considered one of the films garnering GOAT status, it's also only one film, no truly brilliant director has only one great film in their repertoire.
Did anyone say it deserved GOAT status? No.

Is it among the best, and most noteworthy American movies? Yes. The AFI isn't the only source to have judged it so.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 04:00 AM
It is not a weak argument. Many thousands of movies have been directed in the U.S., and if a film is judged by a professional organization in the industry to be among the best, that says something -- whether or not you want to acknowledge it.

As to your evaluation of Lee in a historical context as a director, it was well reasoned, and I respect it as your opinion.

Again, the very list you are referencing didn't even originally have the film on it, so even they were unsure of it as some point. I always respected it as a good, interesting picture, just not something that can be viewed as a masterpiece.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Did anyone say it deserved GOAT status? No.

Is it among the best, and most noteworthy American movies? Yes. The AFI isn't the only source to have judged it so.

We also need to get back to the preface of the argument. I stated that I didn't feel that Lee was a historically great director, you said he was considering one of his films is judged to be one of the greatest films ever. Even if I were to concede that Do the Right Thing was a great film it still is only one great picture and no other film that Lee has directed has garnered that level of praise, not even close. Malcolm X, 25th hour and Inside Man are his closest films and those can be judged as very good, but fall woefully short of the all time film list.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Again, the very list you are referencing didn't even originally have the film on it, so even they were unsure of it as some point. I always respected it as a good, interesting picture, just not something that can be viewed as a masterpiece.
Dude, you're simply reaching just to try and prove a point.

The fact is that the movie appears on more than one all-time great list, not just AFI's. Those lists, by definition, constantly undergo revision. Quibbling about the timing of its appearance is weak.

Much of this is subjective. To you its a "good, interesting picture", to me its much more. Obviously, we come at the subject from two different cultural points of view, and differ in opinion what many consider a very polarizing work.

What isn't debatable is that it belongs among the all-time greats.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 07:13 AM
We also need to get back to the preface of the argument. I stated that I didn't feel that Lee was a historically great director, you said he was considering one of his films is judged to be one of the greatest films ever. Even if I were to concede that Do the Right Thing was a great film it still is only one great picture and no other film that Lee has directed has garnered that level of praise, not even close. Malcolm X, 25th hour and Inside Man are his closest films and those can be judged as very good, but fall woefully short of the all time film list.
Once again, you're making definitive statements that aren't based in truth, but on your opinion.

In the following IMDB list: "Top 100 Directors of All Time"

97. Spike Lee
Director, Inside Man

I'm not going to quibble over the legitimacy of the list, if that's the tack you'll take. The fact remains that no matter how you slice it, there are many who view Spike as one of the greatest American directors because of his contributions to the film genre.

No one is claiming that he's #1, but he is among the best.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Dude, you're simply reaching just to try and prove a point.

The fact is that the movie appears on more than one all-time great list, not just AFI's. Those lists, by definition, constantly undergo revision. Quibbling about the timing of its appearance is weak.

Much of this is subjective. To you its a "good, interesting picture", to me its much more. Obviously, we come at the subject from two different cultural points of view, and differ in opinion what many consider a very polarizing work.

What isn't debatable is that it belongs among the all-time greats.

I'll concede Doing the Right Thing is a great picture but that doesn't make Lee a historic director, one great picture doesn't do that. If he had a fantastic body of work with several great films then I would agree that he is an all time great director but that isn't the case.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Once again, you're making definitive statements that aren't based in truth, but on your opinion.

In the following IMDB list: "Top 100 Directors of All Time"

97. Spike Lee
Director, Inside Man

I'm not going to quibble over the legitimacy of the list, if that's the tack you'll take. The fact remains that no matter how you slice it, there are many who view Spike as one of the greatest American directors because of his contributions to the film genre.

No one is claiming that he's #1, but he is among the best.

That's just some random asshole's list, no serious list has Lee on it. Maybe top 50 or top 100, but that's hardly historic.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 07:21 AM
That's just some random asshole's list, no serious list has Lee on it. Maybe top 50 or top 100, but that's hardly historic.

What exactly is historic? For all of the thousands of American directors that have made films, Spike is named on some lists in the top 100 in history and that isn't "historic"?

Dude, your bias is just blinding you on this topic, and you probably need to step away from the keyboard and take a break.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 07:29 AM

What exactly is historic? For all of the thousands of American directors that have made films, Spike is named on some lists in the top 100 in history and that isn't "historic"?

Dude, your bias is just blinding you on this topic, and you probably just need to step away from the keyboard.

You just posted a list from a random imdb user, that means nothing. I have no bias, I just don't think he's great, jeez. He made one film that's arguably great, a couple of very good films and some bad films. You can't compare him to the greats who made masterpiece after masterpiece. In his own era you have Spielberg, Tarantino, Eastwood, Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Fincher, Coen brothers, Peter Jackson, Michael Mann, Oliver Stone who are all clearly superior, and that is only his era.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Dude, your bias is just blinding you on this topic, and you probably need to step away from the keyboard and take a break.

The directors I named are only in Spike's era, if we're talking all time then he's not even on the radar.

Shepseskaf
01-05-2013, 07:37 AM
You just posted a list from a random imdb user, that means nothing. I have no bias, I just don't think he's great, jeez. He made one film that's arguably great, a couple of very good films and some bad films. You can't compare him to the greats who made masterpiece after masterpiece. In his own era you have Spielberg, Tarantino, Eastwood, Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Fincher, Coen brothers, Peter Jackson, Michael Mann, Oliver Stone who are all clearly superior, and that is only his era.
Ok, this is my last word on this.

You said: "I just don't think he's great, jeez". That statement encapsulates this entire discussion. Its your opinion, but isn't fact, and isn't shared by some enthusiasts and professionals who judge both movies and directors.

For your future development as a debater: don't put words in people's mouths. No one said Spike was a candidate for the #1 director of all-time. He is, however, among the elite -- no matter how much reaching you do to refute the fact.

AngelEyes
01-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Ok, this is my last word on this.

You said: "I just don't think he's great, jeez". That statement encapsulates this entire discussion. Its your opinion, but isn't fact, and isn't shared by some enthusiasts and professionals who judge both movies and directors.

For your future development as a debater: don't put words in people's mouths. No one said Spike was a candidate for the #1 director of all-time. He is, however, among the elite -- no matter how much reaching you do to refute the fact.

I've put no words in anybody's mouth and I never mentioned GOAT with Spike Lee, I said no one considers Do the Right Thing a candidate on a GOAT list, but that was an entirely different discussion (actually you put words in my mouth). The only one reaching is yourself, and it is quite a large reach might I add. I doubt there are among a handful of living film critics who would rate Lee as one of the elite directors of all time, his body of work just isn't that impressive, you seem to have trouble comprehending this. Directing is similar to anything, sports, music, you need a great body of work to be considered among the best, one film doesn't do it. Lee has been overshadowed and surpassed by his colleagues. I've clearly outlined all of my points while yours remain muddled and flimsy, this should be a lesson for you to polish your argumentative skills. The last point for all to remember is that Lee remains a good, underachieving director devoid of any truly historically great or important work, he does however have his fans who sometimes unjustifiably elevate him to levels he hasn't yet achieved.

IamRAMBO24
01-05-2013, 07:52 AM

:oldlol:

Kiddlovesnets
01-05-2013, 09:54 AM
lol, more like his mother was fuccked by Wilt for one night.

I<3NBA
01-05-2013, 10:23 AM
damn, the 2 arguing about Spike Lee should get out of this thread and start a new thread.