PDA

View Full Version : Scott Skiles OUT as Bucks head coach

DStebb716
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
The Milwaukee Bucks and Scott Skiles have mutually agreed to part ways after his four-plus seasons as head coach, General Manager John Hammond announced today. Assistant Jim Boylan will assume head coaching duties for the remainder of the season.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12008#ixzz2HPePVAxu

DuMa
01-08-2013, 01:38 AM
major surprise

konex
01-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Nets?

BurningHammer
01-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Nets?
Unless there are other reasons like personal stuffs involving in Skiles parting way, yeah, sounds about right.

Myth
01-08-2013, 01:47 AM
I had no idea Skiles was still coaching the Bucks.

STATUTORY
01-08-2013, 01:50 AM
kind of forgot the bucks existed for a quick min there

Patrick Chewing
01-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Skiles is a good coach, but Milwaukee is a black hole.

Who remembers Scotty's 30 assists in one game???

Fudge
01-08-2013, 01:53 AM
@WojYahooNBA: Close coaching friend of ex-Bucks coach Scott Skiles tells Y! Sports: "Scott hated his team."
:oldlol:

DMV2
01-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Skiles to coach the Jazz, please.

tpols
01-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Any bucks fans on here to comment on his ability as a coach? I know nothing about skills but he seems like another little hardass like avery was. I'd rather have Carlissemo if that's the case.

Myth
01-08-2013, 01:56 AM

I think that is the first thing most people think of when they think of Scott Skiles.

PJR
Dude quit on his team. :no:

pnyozzzoo
Bucks about to blow up, the Monta trade was shit the moment they signed on it.

2 chucking gunner in the wild east makes you first round meet Miami or get the 14th pick. Skiles looked deflated last time they played the Rockets, was on a 14-2 run and he did not even call time out just played thru the shit and the team just imploded from third quarter on.

Jennings and Monta are exactly the same player, put both on the chopping board whichever get you a better deal, trade him. Then blow up. Oh and do not sign Jennings to anything remotely above 10+mil.

brandonislegend
Any bucks fans on here to comment on his ability as a coach? I know nothing about skills but he seems like another little hardass like avery was. I'd rather have Carlissemo if that's the case.

They are similar in the way they act like they take no shit, I think Skiles is a better coach than Avery though. Both would be better in College basketball than the NBA imo.

Pushxx
01-08-2013, 01:58 AM
@WojYahooNBA: Close coaching friend of ex-Bucks coach Scott Skiles tells Y! Sports: "Scott hated his team."

:roll:

Good find, Fudge.

xfactor99
01-08-2013, 01:58 AM

spelled "monta and brandon" wrong

HylianNightmare
01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
i thought he was doing a good job with what he had

imnew09
01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Come to the motherfken Lakers!!!

IGotACoolStory
01-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Hopefully the next coach will finally play their good young players.

That team needs to make a few trades. One to get rid of either Monta or Jennings. The other to move one or two of their post players as there's too many guys in the rotation right now.

Free John Henson!

UtahJazzFan88
01-08-2013, 02:18 AM
@WojYahooNBA: Close coaching friend of ex-Bucks coach Scott Skiles tells Y! Sports: "Scott hated Monta Ellis."

Fixed. :oldlol:

Kind of surprising, 16-16, they were playing decent. Monta Ellis is a big chucker though.

(e)
01-08-2013, 02:30 AM
Surprise. He had them in the Playoffs as of now, even though it's in the East - still an accomplishment with that roster.

Xiao Yao You
01-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Skiles to coach the Jazz, please.

It wold be a good place for him but Corbin's not going anywhere for a while yet.

I'd rather have Carlissemo if that's the case.

:oldlol: I'd randomly pick a name out of a hat before I'd take him!

I think that is the first thing most people think of when they think of Scott
Skiles.

First think I think of is him getting in trouble for pot in college.

(e)
01-08-2013, 02:37 AM
He should teach the Lakers how to play defense...

InspiredLebowski
01-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Hopefully the next coach will finally play their good young players.

That team needs to make a few trades. One to get rid of either Monta or Jennings. The other to move one or two of their post players as there's too many guys in the rotation right now.

Free John Henson!plus Tobias Harris

Toizumi
01-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Skiles in my opinion is a great coach. He always gets the best out of his players defensively and can run good set offenses as well. He'd be a great fit for the current Pistons. Frank isn't. Dumars should work something out.

ClutchOver9000
01-08-2013, 05:59 AM
I don't think I've EVER seen him crack a smile in all my time watching the NBA. He looks eternally pissed.

maybeshewill13
01-08-2013, 06:04 AM
He should teach the Lakers how to play defense...
You mean like Mike Brown? :lol

InspiredLebowski
01-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Skiles in my opinion is a great coach. He always gets the best out of his players defensively and can run good set offenses as well. He'd be a great fit for the current Pistons. Frank isn't. Dumars should work something out.Skiles perpetually overperforms by instituting fear and being a hardass. There's nothing wrong with that when you're a mediocre roster like the Bucks are, but try that shit with either extreme, a young rebuilding team or a proven winner roster, guy's getting tuned out inside of 50 games.

He's Jim O'Brien with a playing career. Stuck in the mud franchise that's years from doing anything, he can come in and teach guys how to work and approach being a professional basketball player. You want anything more you better find someone else.

Which is to say the Wizards need to hire him.

KeyNote
01-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Brandon Jennings wasn't gonna remain if the guy was the coach, so makes sense

gasolina
01-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Felt bad to the guy as i dont think he wanted all those roster changes. Read somewhere that the bucks intentionally got players that are exciting offensively (monta even if they had jennings) and defensively (sanders, udoh with their shotblocking and). Even though the players are inefficient at it. Reason for this is that managment wanted to put out an entertaining product on the floor to keep casual fans interested.

A looney decision actually, the fear the deer year taught them they should just build a team the right way, even if they were boring as shit.

The starting 5 is so imbalanced its not even funny. All three frontcourt players (sanders, udoh, mbah) cant score and both guards are chuckers.

wally_world
01-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Dude had to coach Monta AND Jennings on the same team :oldlol:

Kiddlovesnets
01-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Perhaps he finds a team he wants to coach?

wagexslave
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Breaking News: Alvin Gentry somehow still Suns coach

Toizumi
01-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Skiles perpetually overperforms by instituting fear and being a hardass. There's nothing wrong with that when you're a mediocre roster like the Bucks are, but try that shit with either extreme, a young rebuilding team or a proven winner roster, guy's getting tuned out inside of 50 games.

He's Jim O'Brien with a playing career. Stuck in the mud franchise that's years from doing anything, he can come in and teach guys how to work and approach being a professional basketball player. You want anything more you better find someone else.

Yeah, wizards would also be a good fit. Kings too. I disagree with you a bit though.. I don't know if Skiles is a championship type of coach, but I think that he would do well on a contender. He really hasn't had that type of opportunity yet. Also, I think that with the Bulls he showed that he can work with a young team that is in rebuild mode. He gave a young Bulls team an identity and they became a playoff team.
Now I'm not saying he's the greatest coach or whatever, but in my opinion, he has not dissapointed as a coach in the past decade. His teams have sometimes underperformed, but a look at the rosters would explain that also. He did a great job with most rosters he had. He wouldn't be a good fit for every type of roster of course, but the Pistons, as they have two young bigs who can learn to cause a lot of defensive problems for teams in the future, would be nice.

Skywalker
01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I knew he didn't like having Monta taking so many shots.

Shepseskaf
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Skiles' little dictator act gets very tired very quickly. This is the same way he was run out of Chicago.

Forget coaching, he should have been appointed Stern's successor.

Clifton
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Skiles perpetually overperforms by instituting fear and being a hardass. There's nothing wrong with that when you're a mediocre roster like the Bucks are, but try that shit with either extreme, a young rebuilding team or a proven winner roster, guy's getting tuned out inside of 50 games.

Good post.

insidehoops
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
The Milwaukee Bucks and Scott Skiles have mutually agreed to part ways after his four-plus seasons as head coach, General Manager John Hammond announced today. Assistant Jim Boylan will assume head coaching duties for the remainder of the season.

Dr. Cheesesteak
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Was looking forward to Bucks actually being around that 5~6 seed. Now, not so sure...

Borat
01-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Skiles is NOT a good coach.

Borat
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
:roll:

Good find, Fudge.

:facepalm

Borat
01-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Was looking forward to Bucks actually being around that 5~6 seed. Now, not so sure...

That was never going to happen. Impossible.

The best they can do is 8th, and they will do it if Boylan plays:

BJ
Monta
Mbah Moute
Ilyasova
Sanders

Dunleavy
Udrih
Udoh
Daniels

Bench warm Dalembert and Henson (he can wait)

Skiles screwed the lineups constantly

One of Henson/Udoh has to play and the other sit, unless a trade is made to get rid of a power forward. Gooden can get a min either.

TheBigVeto
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Don't blame him. Jennings is an uncoachable chucker. Good move by Skiles.

Borat
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Don't blame him. Jennings is an uncoachable chucker. Good move by Skiles.

Disagree.

longtime lurker
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
That was never going to happen. Impossible.

The best they can do is 8th, and they will do it if Boylan plays:

BJ
Monta
Mbah Moute
Ilyasova
Sanders

Dunleavy
Udrih
Udoh
Daniels

Bench warm Dalembert and Henson (he can wait)

Skiles screwed the lineups constantly

One of Henson/Udoh has to play and the other sit, unless a trade is made to get rid of a power forward. Gooden can get a min either.

Don't know why Skiles wouldn't roll with that lineup. It has everything except low post scoring. Two high scoring ball dominant wings and 3 guys that don't need the ball to score.

Jasper
01-09-2013, 02:55 AM
50 posts and about two have a clue what is going on.....

The Bucks are in a cross roads contract year , players , Skiles as well as Hammond.

Kohl was at the practice facility hours before Skiles and their GM had a pow wow. Clue ...

Bottom line was direction Bucks are going , coach for end of year as well as Hammond staying on board if the roster proves a playoff team.

I have stated for years Skiles is a great teacher and defensive coach , but he can't coach players to play offense.
That is why Hammond made it easy for him and hired and drafted a couple gunners as well as getting Dunleavy.

Skiles wants a team to play under his thumb , and caption Jax stated as much when he got traded to Golden State.

Ironically Skiles down fall wasn't his rotation of players , he did o.k.
IT Was never having a starting line up.

Players want to know their roles... Gooden played serious minutes and had some excelent games for the Bucks last year , and now sits on the lumber.

Skiles just didn't ink players in except , his money seat players which were Monta and Jennings.
Ilyason- got a new contract and guess after two games where he lands on the bench.

First game Skiles is gone , guess where he plays : STARTER.

I see good things ahead for the Bucks , playoff's ...

Scary' thing is what may happen in the off season.

irondarts
01-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Scott's team hated him too.

He's a good coach but his dictatorship style wears on his teams fairly quickly and they just completely hate his guts. He also has the most inconsistent rotations ever, players go from starting multiple games to receiving multiple DNP-CD's and clearly don't know what their role is.

TylerOO
01-09-2013, 03:03 AM
Larry Sanders says see ya coach!

http://i.imgflip.com/daus.gif

Bcogswell
01-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Wasn't really expecting this news, Skiles is a decent coach. I wonder if he is gonna end up with a new job before the season is over. :confusedshrug:

nightprowler10
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Good post. I was afraid of the same with Thibs after what we went through with Skiles, but Thibs has a much better relationship with his players than Skiles ever did.

gasolina
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Happy how the team reacted to its first game. More excited that Carlesimo actually fielded a lineup that made sense.

Started Ilyasova to help spread the floor for Monta and Jennings.

Started Mbah a Moute along with Illy at forward slots. Doesn't matter who plays 3 or 4. Mbah a Moute can guard both positions.

Kept Udoh in the 2nd unit. For a while Skiles was starting him with Sanders. Removes a lot of redundancy.

More importantly, kept Daniels and his useless ass on the bench

He's giving Henson some minutes too!

Rekindled
01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
The bucks have a bright future with a lot of upside bigs like Sanders, Henson, Udoh etc.

they need to trade Ellis+Ilyasova for a star wing guy like a Gallinari or something like that.

Jasper
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Rekindled - right direction , but wrong player

I think if the Bucks are on the fringe or not real deep into the playoff hunt , will pull the trigger - before trade deadline ... Boylin i s getin' a winning streak , and the players are playing with purpose and freedom.

Hate to say it but Dam'p and Gooden are probably gone.

Problem with the Bucks there really isn't any great SG's or SF's with size and speed

Why do you think Gay is in so high demand as well as Granger....

dunksby
01-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Jennings is freed :applause: I hope Ersan goes into beast mode again now too.