PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Suns and Grizzlies engaged in talks for RUDY GAY

DStebb716
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-in-trade-talks-for-rudy-gay-165005609.html;_ylt=Ai85nSH_WKgKcSQhVnDhjjq8vLYF;_ ylu=X3oDMTRrZGZzN2tzBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE 5CQSBFeHBlcnRzBHBrZwM5YzEwNzc4Yi01YWQ1LTNhOTQtOTg5 ZS01ZWQ5MjlhMzM5ODAEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaX hlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMwNjAyZmE2MS01OWI0LTExZTItOWRh Zi00YjQ3ODcwNWFhNTQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFoNjVvZWVyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay will make $16.4 million this year.

The Suns have been mindful of their financial state under Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, and there are still doubts within the organization they will ultimately be able to absorb the remainder of Gay's contract.

The Suns own the Los Angeles Lakers' first round picks in 2013 and 2015.

Under new ownership and management, the Memphis front office is dubious these Grizzlies are constructed to contend for the Western Conference title, sources said. Owner Robert Para has turned basketball operations over to CEO Jason Levien.

Memphis is 22-10 and presently holding the fourth seed in the West.

Reverend Hoops
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-in-trade-talks-for-rudy-gay-165005609.html

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Link should already be posted - thanks Hoops

DStebb716
01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Link should already be posted - thanks Hoops

It is posted, settle down.

Reverend Hoops
01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
The Grizz will become pretenders after this trade, but were they contenders in the first place?

HylianNightmare
Wtf

It's A VC3!!!
Why would the Grizzlies remove a vital piece in their success? Even if they can't contend ( Although I think they can), ruining their great start is stupid.

DStebb716
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
This is an example of how small market teams are screwed. The Grizzlies are a contender right now, and this trade would take them right out.

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Memphis sees how bad the Lakers are sucking and want that draft pick :oldlol:

It's A VC3!!!
01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Grizzlies owner isn't even wealthy enough to soak the contracts of an NBA contender. This was actually a warning sign before they appointed him owner. They said he had like $700 million after he bought the Grizzlies. Now to save money he is breaking up the team.:facepalm
Why not just sell it to a billionaire?

SCdac
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Pau Gasol, Mike Miller, OJ Mayo, Rudy Gay. will Memphis ever be able to retain their best players and be contenders? I hope they keep Marc and Conley. Randolph plays great often but he's not taking any team to the promised land.

bagelred
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Engaged? I didn't even know they were dating. :confusedshrug:

steve
01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
What exactly does Rudy Gay do that pushes Memphis over the top?

bagelred
01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
So the parity begins. Teams over tax have to see off talent to teams under cap.

Everything will be perfect once every team has a .500 record. Then the interest level will be sky high. :rockon:

:rolleyes:

28renyoy
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Suns about to trade Lakers 1st for Rudy Gay :roll:

Nick Young
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
LA needs to get in on this and force Gasol on someone's hands.

tomtucker
01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-in-trade-talks-for-rudy-gay-165005609.html;_ylt=Ai85nSH_WKgKcSQhVnDhjjq8vLYF;_ ylu=X3oDMTRrZGZzN2tzBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE 5CQSBFeHBlcnRzBHBrZwM5YzEwNzc4Yi01YWQ1LTNhOTQtOTg5 ZS01ZWQ5MjlhMzM5ODAEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaX hlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMwNjAyZmE2MS01OWI0LTExZTItOWRh Zi00YjQ3ODcwNWFhNTQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFoNjVvZWVyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay will make $16.4 million this year.

The Suns have been mindful of their financial state under Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, and there are still doubts within the organization they will ultimately be able to absorb the remainder of Gay's contract.

Under new ownership and management, the Memphis front office is dubious these Grizzlies are constructed to contend for the Western Conference title, sources said. Owner Robert Para has turned basketball operations over to CEO Jason Levien.

Memphis is 22-10 and presently holding the fourth seed in the West.
wish i was Gay..........:cry:

DStebb716
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I can't think of a single appealing player that the Griz would want, though. Jared Dudley is a scrub.

Maybe they'll attempt to make it a three-team deal where somebody takes on Marcin Gortat and sends talent to Memphis?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bflojxp Only straight trade that gives anything that even smells like talent. Still a bad trade (obviously multiple draft picks going Memphis' way).

Detroit
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
What would the Lakers fans do if that 2013 pick turns out to be #1 in the draft:oldlol:

JohnnySic
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Well, to state the obvious, this would sink any chances for playoff success that the Grizzlies had.

icewill36
01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
well, the grizz biggest problem is not enough outside shooting. they cant stretch the floor. dudley is underrated player IMO... he can shoot and works hard on D.

im not knocking gay but i think if youre going to move someone, he should be the one to go. the grizz had a great playoff run without him a couple years ago, and one of main reasons was battiers shooting.

its not a bad move IMO cuz i dont think they can score enough points to win a title

Clutch
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, to state the obvious, this would sink any chances for playoff success that the Grizzlies had.
If I remember right their best success happened while Rudy Gay was out and Zach Randolph was carrying the team.

steve
01-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I can't think of a single appealing player that the Griz would want, though. Jared Dudley is a scrub.

Maybe they'll attempt to make it a three-team deal where somebody takes on Marcin Gortat and sends talent to Memphis?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bflojxp Only straight trade that gives anything that even smells like talent. Still a bad trade (obviously multiple draft picks going Memphis' way).

Really? Gay is one of the most inefficient players in the league. He shoots horribly, takes way too many shots (and bad shots at that), he doesn't get to the line, and considering how many possessions he uses, he barely creates for anyone. He's more athletic than Dudley, which allows him to be a better defender than Dudley, but only marginally so Otherwise, Dudley shoots ridiculously better than Gay (especially from 3) and doesn't kill ball movement the way gay does. This would give the Grizz a ton more floor spacing and allow them to run the ball more through their more efficient players like Gasol, Randolph, and Conley and not have to worry about so many empty possessions.

bagelred
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
So this is "strike 2" for the luxury tax implications. The luxury tax was supposed to scare away big market teams from spending too much. But what its done is forced 2 excellent small market teams to significantly weaken their chance at a title (okc and memphis). Is that what the league wanted?

They've unwittingly made their goal worse, not better. There is NO WAY small market teams can go over the luxury tax now.....big market teams will still pay if they need to....or players will take less money to go to a large market, hoping to make up difference in other ways.

AngelEyes
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
So this is "strike 2" for the luxury tax implications. The luxury tax was supposed to scare away big market teams from spending too much. But what its done is forced 2 excellent small market teams to significantly weaken their chance at a title (okc and memphis). Is that what the league wanted?

They've unwittingly made their goal worse, not better. There is NO WAY small market teams can go over the luxury tax now.....big market teams will still pay if they need to....or players will take less money to go to a large market, hoping to make up difference in other ways.

OKC didn't significantly weaken their chances at a title, Martin is playing a similar role to what Harden played.

icewill36
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM

okc isnt weakened. they are just as good as last year. in fact i think their defense is actually better than it was at this point last year.

grizz dont have to be weakened moving gay... they really dont need him that much. if they get some better fitting pieces for a cheaper price its a win

PejaNowitzki
01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Suns are going to get rolled as usual, end up trading Dudley, Gortat and like 5 unprotected first rounders. :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

longtime lurker
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Gay for Jared Dudley! :roll: Hollingeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

BlackWhiteGreen
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Griz need shooters, if they can get a couple of guys who shoot 3s well they're a really dangerous team with what they have inside.

Gay is an expendable piece to that Memphis team, in the same way Gasol is to LA. Difference is Gay has some real value.

Rose
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
OKC didn't significantly weaken their chances at a title, Martin is playing a similar role to what Harden played.
You're right. They traded a guy who can not only create his own shot but shots for others, and is an okay defender. With the potential to get better (although Kobe destroyed him)

For a guy who shoots really well, isn't nearly as good of a shot creator in any regard, and is as good of an NBA defender as anyone in this thread. He might play the role of sixth man who gets 20 points on some nights, and averages a respectable 15. But you're kidding me if you think that trade gives them about the same strength they had before.

brandonislegend
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rudy is playing terrible lately was wondering what was going on but this is probably it.

RedBlackAttack
01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Wait a minute... I'm confused. Don't the Cavs have the right to exchange the lowest of their two first round picks (they have their own and the Heat's pick) for the Lakers' pick according to the Sessions deal? So, would the Grizz essentially be getting the Heat's first round pick, or is this a different Lakers' pick?

Rose
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Wait a minute... I'm confused. Don't the Cavs have the right to exchange the lowest of their two first round picks (they have their own and the Heat's pick) for the Lakers' pick according to the Sessions deal? So, would the Grizz essentially be getting the Heat's first round pick, or is this a different Lakers' pick?
If the pick is a lottery one the Suns get it automatically, if not the Cavs get it automatically.

If the Suns get it this year the Cavs get it next year. Larry Coon tweeted about this yesterday or the day before maybe.

RedBlackAttack
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
If the pick is a lottery one the Suns get it automatically, if not the Cavs get it automatically.

If the Suns get it this year the Cavs get it next year. Larry Coon tweeted about this yesterday or the day before maybe.
Ah. Got it. I wasn't sure if the Cavs' swap deal was lottery protected. Since no one in their right mind would have assumed the Lakers' could potentially miss the playoffs, it seemed like a moot point.

Still, if the Lakers do make the playoffs, the Cavs swap the Heat's pick with the Lakers' pick and the Suns get the Heat pick? Therefore, the Grizz would get the Heat pick? That makes this trade all the worse if so.

NattyPButter
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Well I hope the Lakers make it 15 so the Cavs get the pick.

Rose
01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Ah. Got it. I wasn't sure if the Cavs' swap deal was lottery protected. Since no one in their right mind would have assumed the Lakers' could potentially miss the playoffs, it seemed like a moot point.

Still, if the Lakers do make the playoffs, the Cavs swap the Heat's pick with the Lakers' pick and the Suns get the Heat pick? Therefore, the Grizz would get the Heat pick? That makes this trade all the worse if so.
I have no clue about the pick trade with the heat. He didn't talk about that since it was a question more focused on the lakers.

I really don't think they let rudy go to Phoenix though.

bokes15
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Anyone can get engaged. Hit me up when they get married. :D

All Net
01-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Don't get why suns would take that big contract.. They are in rebuilding mode after all.

Levity
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
When Jared Dudley heard that Gay may be coming to PHX, he quickly replied by saying, "not in my house, not anywhere"

Levity
01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Don't get why suns would take that big contract.. They are in rebuilding mode after all.

didnt they just offer eric gordon the max? this seems like the next best move for them. A legit first option, that can maaaaybe get them into the playoffs this season.

Fudge
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Aren't the Wolves in talks as well? Anybody else wanna see Gay Love as much as I do?

Artillery
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Pau Gasol, Mike Miller, OJ Mayo, Rudy Gay. will Memphis ever be able to retain their best players and be contenders? I hope they keep Marc and Conley. Randolph plays great often but he's not taking any team to the promised land.

This has less to do with retaining Gay and more to do with offloading his terrible contract.

longtime lurker
01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Aren't the Wolves in talks as well? Anybody else wanna see Gay Love as much as I do?

Only if you changed your username to GayLoveFudge

QuebecBaller
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tumblr_m17dxqVWxL1qckk1yo1_500.jpg

KyrieTheFuture
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Guess they missed the Gay when Rick Welts left...

irondarts
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
If only Ramon Sessions was still on the Wolves.

Gay Love Sessions.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Griz fans, what do you want for Gay except tax relief? Anyone you'd want from the Celtics so we could get in on this with Gortat?

andremiller07
01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Raptors latest interested

The Toronto Raptors are amongst the teams interested in trading for Rudy Gay should the Memphis Grizzlies decide to trade him, according to sources.

The Raptors have had preliminary talks with the Grizzlies.

Toronto is said to be offering a package centered around Jose Calderon, Ed Davis and future picks for Gay.

Ed Davis is a nice piece but they don't need him with Arthur,Speights, ZBo and Gasol all there and Jose is a nice back up but this does not add any scoring punch to there team which is what they need.

Clifton
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
It'd be like the Thunder dealing Harden. They wouldn't get worse; it would just mean the players you actually want carrying the offense, which are Gasol and Randolph, would do that more, and Gay wouldn't be taking all their touches.

Randolph is being under-utilized. He could be putting up 22-24 a game for them, easily. And Gasol is, too.

And Gay is not nearly the impact player Harden is. He will go to another team and have absolutely no impact for them. I don't know why any team would want Gay. He's the ultimate good yet low-impact player, simply because of what his strengths are and aren't. No guy like Gay has ever been a big part of any great team as far as I know.

wagexslave
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
It'd be like the Thunder dealing Harden. They wouldn't get worse; it would just mean the players you actually want carrying the offense, which are Gasol and Randolph, would do that more, and Gay wouldn't be taking all their touches.

Randolph is being under-utilized. He could be putting up 22-24 a game for them, easily. And Gasol is, too.

And Gay is not nearly the impact player Harden is. He will go to another team and have absolutely no impact for them. I don't know why any team would want Gay. He's the ultimate good yet low-impact player, simply because of what his strengths are and aren't. No guy like Gay has ever been a big part of any great team as far as I know.
Suns are in desperate DESPERATE need of a go-to scorer, especially in the clutch.

Whoah10115
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
A trade like this makes me think that the Grizzlies should have re-signed O.J. Mayo and then traded Rudy Gay.

This is pretty awful.

If Toronto was interested, they could trade Terrence Ross. He's a shooter. He could play the 3 in Memphis.

Clifton
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
the Grizzlies should have re-signed O.J. Mayo and then traded Rudy Gay.

This is pretty awful.
You're right, they should have. It'd certainly be redundant to have both players, but I think Mayo is the guy you want to pair with Randolph and Gasol, not Gay.

I bet they'd love to have Shane Battier back, at the 3 spot.

Whoah10115
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
You're right, they should have. It'd certainly be redundant to have both players, but I think Mayo is the guy you want to pair with Randolph and Gasol, not Gay.

I bet they'd love to have Shane Battier back, at the 3 spot.

Battier wanted to win a free title. He's surprised he had to contribute as much as he did.

I always said Mayo was a better fit, from his spot on the floor...plus, he doesn't stop the ball. Mayo actually has some handle and Gay does not. Mayo is a great shooter. Mayo is a better defender. Mayo is a great partner for Conley. They're probably not re-signing Allen so they could have looked to trade Gay and Allen together and probably traded for Luol Deng.

Thing about that...think about the money saved, as well. Plus, the jumpshooting improves over both positions. Mayo played very good defense on Memphis. He doesn't play Allen's defense (no one does) but Gay doesn't play anywhere near Deng's defense.

How much better would that trade make the Bulls, too?