PDA

View Full Version : Move the Toronto Raptors to St. Louis/Kansas City/Pittsburgh ?

shady6121
01-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Why does the NBA have a team in Canada? No one gives a shit about Canada.

FreezingTsmoove
01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
OP has never been to Toronto. They love their Raptors out in the big easy

avonbarksdale
01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
yeah we have good fans games are always packed

Levity
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
no one gives a shit about 2 of the 3 cities you listed, either.

NumberSix
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I can't see moving a team from a big city like Toronto to a smaller city like the aforementioned.

TheMarkMadsen
KC.

USABall
I was born in the USA, and had the unfortunate experience of being forced to move to Cambridge/Waterloo (hour away from Toronto) in my early teens. I am going to school to move away from this awful area. Sure, the Raptors may have a great following, which is something I expect from our biggest city.

Basketball, on the other hand, is not doing that great. I live in Windsor now, and Canada recently opened its own league, of which the average visitors to Windsor Express games is hovering around 200 people per game.

tl dr? Move the Raptors to where it belongs, the USA!

shady6121
01-11-2013, 06:31 PM

I guess that's true, but has Toronto ever been relevant? Do top free agents ever consider Toronto a desirable destination?

NumberSix
01-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I guess that's true, but has Toronto ever been relevant? Do top free agents ever consider Toronto a desirable destination?
Lol. Of course not. The raptors suck.

anthonyRandolph
OP has never been to Toronto. They love their Raptors out in the big easy
:biggums:

QuebecBaller

Move yourself out of this forum. No one gives a shit about you

Droid101
Uh, they nearly sell out games even when they suck. They aren't going anywhere.

FreezingTsmoove
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Free agency is all about hot spots. No one wanted to go to the Clips before they were good. I doubt Kidd and Rasheed would be with the Knicks if NY wasn't a hot spot

Purch
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
That would be going against Stern's international agenda

USABall
01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Canadian basketball has little to no development whatsoever. Nobody cares about university basketball, and none of it is televised, at least in my area. I would have no problem seeing the Raptors move to a city where they at least have youth playing it religiously. Wiggins is an exception.

QuebecBaller
01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Canadian fakkot, how does it feel to live in the fakkit shit hole of North America?

Poor little child... :facepalm

Twiens
01-11-2013, 06:40 PM
**** yourself op

RRR3
01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
You better be referring to St. Louis as the one people give a shit about :mad: :no: :coleman:

red1
01-11-2013, 06:42 PM
One of the dumbest threads I have seen in a while. You are retarded if you think this team is going anywhere.

Legends66NBA7
01-11-2013, 06:49 PM
The Toronto Raptors fanbase is probably one of the best in the NBA and is far better from what I've personally seen online than the majority of other NBA teams.

Why in the world would the NBA move the Raptors out to smaller cities compared to Toronto ?

The problem with the Raptors is the management and ownership, not because "nobody cares about Canada". Didn't know Toronto =/= Canada. My assumption of why NBA free agents are not attracted to the city is because:

1) Yeah, Canada, so there's some ignorance in terms of their part. I've seen it from Vince Carter, Tracy McGray, and Chris Bosh when they were here. Hedo Turkuglo also most recently comes to mind, but he's an idiot altogether, so...

2) Taxes. I know there was a problem apparently with Jermaine O'Neal's agent saying that the taxes would spike his contract or whatever and would be a problem.

3) Like others have mentioned it's because they are medicore at best and have produced laughably bad basketball teams. So, there's not much interest for the rest of the NBA fans or league to take notice.

As long as the fans do their part and represent the Raptors (which they do very well), they are certainly not going anywhere and all we need is a proper management that actually knows how to build a proper foundation. If that ever comes to fruition, the Raptors will never go anywhere.

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
You better be referring to St. Louis as the one people give a shit about :mad: :no: :coleman:

**** da rams its all bout dem CHIEFS and that number 1 pick :cheers:

Kiddlovesnets
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I can't see moving a team from a big city like Toronto to a smaller city like the aforementioned.

Well it did happen before, the Vancouver grizzlies become Memphis grizzlies.

RRR3
**** da rams its all bout dem CHIEFS and that number 1 pick :cheers:
I don't like the NFL anyways. Cardinals>>>>>your favorite MLB team, though. :yaohappy:

Skywalker
I was born in the USA, and had the unfortunate experience of being forced to move to Cambridge/Waterloo (hour away from Toronto) in my early teens. I am going to school to move away from this awful area. Sure, the Raptors may have a great following, which is something I expect from our biggest city.

Basketball, on the other hand, is not doing that great. I live in Windsor now, and Canada recently opened its own league, of which the average visitors to Windsor Express games is hovering around 200 people per game.

tl dr? Move the Raptors to where it belongs, the USA!

Yes Canadian basketball is dying the prospects from our country are virtually non existent these days. I'm shocked the Windsor Express have failed to draw arena packing attendance numbers and as a result there's no doubt in my opinion that the right thing to do is to remove the Toronto Raptors from Toronto. Their great attendance, nationwide fandom, and unreal revenues do not matter in this case, the Windsor Express aren't drawing enough people. Get them out of there a$ap.

Skywalker

No one in your circle of retarded friends maybe.

Skywalker
01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Canadian basketball has little to no development whatsoever. Nobody cares about university basketball, and none of it is televised, at least in my area. I would have no problem seeing the Raptors move to a city where they at least have youth playing it religiously. Wiggins is an exception.

No, he's not. Have you heard Myck Kabongo? Tristan Thompson? 4th overall pick their dough brain. Xavier Rathan-Mayes another 4 star recruit. Kevin Pangos is balling at Gonzaga. The quality and quantity of Canadian recruits is much higher than it was even 5 years ago.

red1
01-11-2013, 07:01 PM
USAball you are retarded too.

Bcogswell
01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
The Raptors aren't going anywheres. They constantly sell out their games no matter how poorly the team performs, and is one of the largest markets in the NBA. Theres no way, they are going to move the team to a smaller city thats not going to support the team even when it sucks. MLSE is all about revenue, and not the on court performance.

THATS the reason no big stars want to come to Canada to play. Not because its Canada, but because our team sucks. No one wants to join a bad team, let alone a bad team in another country. When we start to improve, you will see more players willing to join us up in Canada.

Oh and just as you said no one gives a shit about Canada... no one gives a shit what you think. :facepalm

Skywalker
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Khem Birch- 5 star recruit
Kyle Wiltjer- 5 star recruit
Anthony Bennett- 5 star recruit NUMBER ONE PF ON RIVALS FOR CLASS OF 2012
Dwight Powell 15 ppg for Stanford right now another 5*

Wiggins is an exception lmao

red1
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
"Move the franchise where it belongs." Are you f*cking retarded USAball? The franchise was made here and it belongs here.

SilkkTheShocker
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Move the team to Arkansas

red1
01-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Move the team to Arkansas
:kobe:

SilkkTheShocker
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
:kobe:

Lol im just playing homie.

shady6121
01-11-2013, 07:22 PM
"Move the franchise where it belongs." Are you f*cking retarded USAball? The franchise was made here and it belongs here.

Chill the **** out, noone's taking your Toronto Craptors away from you. It's just a hypothetical scenario.

red1
01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Lol im just playing homie.
Good man. Since you are an lbj fan I will share a cool photo for an avatar

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jjd26/IMAGES/lebron_dunking.jpg

Bcogswell
01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Chill the **** out, noone's taking your Toronto Craptors away from you. It's just a hypothetical scenario.

No, a hypothetical scenario would be "How would the Raptors fair out if they were sold and moved to ..... ?"

What you stated in the OP was a stupid and ignorant suggestion.

red1
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
No. It is a retarded thread from the mind of a retarded f*gg*t. You didn't even list one practical reason, all you said is "durr I don't like canada hurr."

Knicks are going to get murked by the heat btw.
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/Winking-Smiley.jpg

Burgz V2
01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Sellout 70% of our games and haven't made the playoffs in 7 years...

but you propose they should be moved to smaller markets? Damn son you must be a genius, I'd like to know how you'd pull that off

Toronto is the third largest city in North America and one of the fastest growing ones too. We have some of the best fans in the NBA and I can say that with absolute confidence because everyone on this board will agree (except obvious trolls like the OP)

Raptors aren't going anywhere, worst thread in a long time but at least its not about the Lakers or Kobe :lol

Heavincent
01-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Nobody would give a shit about the Raptors if they were moved to any of those places. They would just end up like the Bucks.

Toronto actually has a good fanbase anyway. Finding players has been an issue though.

Euroleague
01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Sellout 70% of our games and haven't made the playoffs in 7 years...

but you propose they should be moved to smaller markets? Damn son you must be a genius, I'd like to know how you'd pull that off

Toronto is the third largest city in North America and one of the fastest growing ones too. We have some of the best fans in the NBA and I can say that with absolute confidence because everyone on this board will agree (except obvious trolls like the OP)

Raptors aren't going anywhere, worst thread in a long time but at least its not about the Lakers or Kobe :lol

Yeah sure it is - that is, if you don't count all the millions and millions of illegals in Los Angeles.

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Nobody would give a shit about the Raptors if they were moved to any of those places. They would just end up like the Bucks.

I disagree. KC loves their sports, chiefs are continuously sold out even though they suck, the city and fans still support them like crazy.

Ku basketball is huge, have you ever been to Lawrence? Basketball is loved out there.

Sprint center is one of the nicest stadiums in any city

An NBA team in KC would do well

I mean the god damn dude who invented basketball is from the area, coached at Kansas. It's a shame they don't have a team

Heavincent
01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
I disagree. KC loves their sports, chiefs are continuously sold out even though they suck, the city and fans still support them like crazy.

Ku basketball is huge, have you ever been to Lawrence? Basketball is loved out there.

Basketball is loved in North Carolina too, yet nobody has ever really cared about the Bobcats (even when they were a half decent club). I'm sure Milwaukee has a shitload of diehard Packers fans, yet nobody gives a shit about the Bucks :confusedshrug:

Who knows, maybe they would thrive in KC, but I don't really see it with any of these places. It's hard in the NBA. Sometimes people just don't give a shit about your team, even if other teams in the area have rabid and dedicated fan bases.

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Basketball is loved in North Carolina too, yet nobody has ever really cared about the Bobcats (even when they were a half decent club). I'm sure Milwaukee has a shitload of diehard Packers fans, yet nobody gives a shit about the Bucks :confusedshrug:

Who knows, maybe they would thrive in KC, but I don't really see it with any of these places. It's hard in the NBA. Sometimes people just don't give a shit about your team, even if other teams in the area have rabid and dedicated fan bases.

all good points, i guess i really just depends and really is hit or miss. For example look at OKC.

If hurricane Katrina doesn't wipe New Orleans the Hornets don't have to re locate for a seaon. At the time OKC was seen as a extremely small market where an NBA team couldn't survive.. that was until the Hornets were forced to re locate to OKC and the city embraced them like nobody could have ever imagined.

If not for that the Sonics either end up in Vegas or KC, and with the Sprint Center just being finished around that time i think they had a good chance.

RaininThrees
01-11-2013, 09:03 PM
I mean the god damn dude who invented basketball is from the area

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

red1
01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
:roll: what a dumbass

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 09:18 PM

wrong choice of words he wasn't born in Kansas, however he was the first coach at KU and lived/ died in Lawrence.

RaininThrees
01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
wrong choice of words he wasn't born in Kansas, however he was the first coach at KU and lived/ died in Lawrence.

AND he's Canadian.

red1
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
AND he's Canadian.
he still doesnt get it lmao

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 09:25 PM
he still doesnt get it lmao

what are you this dude's lackey? Get off my dick just because you're getting shitted on in the other thread buy myself and everybody else who is telling you that you're 100% wrong.

Come on Lebron's sperm, he expects better!

hawkfan
01-11-2013, 09:26 PM
It's not the fans fault that purple has a moron for a GM.

Should have hired Mike D'Antoni to coach the team, and signed Jeremy Lin to run the point.

Right there, the team would be fun to watch and would be far better.

red1
01-11-2013, 09:26 PM
what are you this dude's lackey? Get off my dick just because you're getting shitted on in the other thread buy myself and everybody else who is telling you that you're 100% wrong.

Come on Lebron's sperm, he expects better!
:facepalm embarrasing

TheMarkMadsen
01-11-2013, 09:27 PM
AND he's Canadian.

i realize this, i know how to use google :cheers:

i was just trying to push an agenda that KC deserves a team because basketball's founding father spent time in the area coaching their historic college basketball team. It's irrelevant but i wanted to make the connection, but this ISH you don't always need to be 100% factual if you have an agenda to push.

either way Toronto doesn't deserve to lose their team as they do a great job of supporting it even thought the Raptors are usually terrible

Burgz V2
01-11-2013, 09:33 PM

I mean the god damn dude who invented basketball is from the area, coached at Kansas. It's a shame they don't have a team

oh the irony :facepalm

Dr. James Naismith was Canadian.

Your next response would probably be "but but but he was a US citizen"

To that I would respond he became a US citizen at the age of 65.

He didn't even invent the game in Kansas, he invented it in Massachusetts.

The only relation to Kansas is that he coached KU.

What kind of moron goes on a basketball forum and expects people to believe that nonsense

bagelred
01-11-2013, 09:37 PM

God you are stupid.

Zan Tabak
01-11-2013, 10:26 PM
This is a troll job to the max.

Do not feed

Where's the neg rep when you need it?

Kiddlovesnets
01-11-2013, 10:27 PM
The raptors do have a good fanbase, unfortunately NBA players do not wish to play in a foreign country. Stern's internationalization program aint gonna work, its just Canada and we have this many problems already. Imagine a US player drafted to play in Mexico or Spain.
:lol

Zan Tabak
01-11-2013, 10:44 PM
The raptors do have a good fanbase, unfortunately NBA players do not wish to play in a foreign country. Stern's internationalization program aint gonna work, its just Canada and we have this many problems already. Imagine a US player drafted to play in Mexico or Spain.
:lol

Dude, there ain't that many problems. All/Most of the players on the current Raptors are happy to be where they are (Lowry being the exception..but it's more because of playing time and having to compete for the starting PG position).

Do they attract big name free agents?...No, but I think that's more to do with the team than the country. If the Raptors had a good team, players would want to play there.

hawkfan
01-11-2013, 10:48 PM
The GM is horrible. Get rid of him. That's a huge, huge first step.
Can this team do better? Absolutely.
Would players go to Toronto if they had a chance to win a championship? Absolutely.

The Raptors have made some bad personnel moves - not trading away Bosh and losing him for basically nothing. Bargnani is the worst rebounder in NBA history. Not signing Lin instead of Fields. Not hiring Mike D'Antoni.

Lot of good young players - add a few big pieces and they will be ok.

Beebo
01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
insert opisa*******.gif

Legends66NBA7
01-12-2013, 03:24 AM

I believe Toronto is 4th, behind New York, Los Angeles, and then Chicago.

And yeah, some of the best fans in the NBA no doubt. We even got other fans repping different teams showing us love on our own forum:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284319

For what it's worth.

BoutPractice
01-12-2013, 04:43 AM
Wikipedia also counts Mexico City as part of North America, which makes Toronto fifth.

Regardless, it's a major international city, unlike a good two thirds of cities with NBA teams. A large market with a dedicated, growing fanbase... it'd make no business sense to get rid of it.