PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best NBA Basketball Magazine Out There?

Rake2204
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Opinions? Looking for something fresh.

Westbrook0
01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
SLAM is easily the best NBA magazine, in my opinion.

ganja0710
01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Slam and Dime

Rake2204
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Slam and DimeIf you had to pick between the two? SLAM has felt a bit forced to me for the last... well... almost decade. For the past few years it seems they've begun slowly turning the tide, but it's still a little rough.

For example, they seem to have tapped more and more outside authors to pen pieces of substance, but then they counter that with their inane celebrity vs. player comparison columns and rapper/player hometown articles that always consist of the same quotes ("Yeah I know he's from my area and I respect what he's doing on the court/in the studio").

I'm thinking of giving Dime another try (had a couple of free issues a few years ago).

Toizumi
01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
To me, it's HOOP easily. They have good interviews and articles, with way less gimmicks than SLAM. It's all NBA as well. It's nice to read about upcoming players and even WNBA sometimes.. but often times with SLAM it's just too much of stuff I don't care about. HOOP doesn't come out often, but always delivers in my opinion. They do tend to focus on the bigger names though.

BlueandGold
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Their all garbage filled with mindless advertisements. The goal of any magazine is to make money and sell as many magazines as possible. Same with all of the sports networks (BSPN)

Depends what your into, reading articles or looking at cool basketball videos, and for both i highly recommend this thing called the internet.

Toizumi
01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Their all garbage filled with mindless advertisements. The goal of any magazine is to make money and sell as many magazines as possible. Same with all of the sports networks (BSPN)

Depends what your into, reading articles or looking at cool basketball videos, and for both i highly recommend this thing called the internet.

Although I somewhat agree, I must say that for personal interviews with players/coaches, if you like that sorta thing, magazines are the best. You can get info of the web, or watch youtube interviews and stuff, but most aren't in-depth, unless it's a special sit down kinda interview.

ganja0710
01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
I knew i was forgetting another. I'd completely ignore the two i listed and go with HOOP. They come out with a new issue every 2-3 months i believe. A lot of in depth interviews/columns on prospects and non-big name players.

If you dont want to grab the actual magazine in stores, you can read the latest issue for January/February on NBA.com

edit: here's the link: http://www.nba.com/hoop/hoop_januaryfebruary_2013_2013_01_09.html

upside24
01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Slam and Dime
These two are the best.

JellyBean
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Slam magazine without a doubt. Dime is ok