PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings on Kobe's defense

konex
01-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Brandon Jennings on Kobe tonight: "Probably the best defense anybody's played on me since I've been in the league."

More Jennings on @kobebryant: "For the whole game, I don't think I've ever seen a guard put that much pressure on a point guard full-court."

It's just embarrassing that haters like Bill Simmons are allowed to be on tv lumping Kobe and Nash together as the same caliber of defender. Worse yet, idiot fans buy into this crap

therammingman
01-16-2013, 03:17 AM
It's just embarrassing that haters like Bill Simmons are allowed to be on tv lumping Kobe and Nash together as the same caliber of defender. Worse yet, idiot fans buy into this crap

nobody said he can't play good D.....it was the fact that he just did not give a shit and did not try. i watch every single laker game....it was obvious.

1987_Lakers
01-16-2013, 03:17 AM
It's pretty obvious that when Kobe puts in 100% effort he is still one of the best defensive guards in the league.

Mr. Jabbar
01-16-2013, 03:19 AM
Kobe is the best man to man defender in the league and has always been. Tonight proves he can still beast at both ends at the same time :bowdown: :bowdown:., its just a matter of when he tries.

StateOfMind12
01-16-2013, 03:19 AM
It's pretty obvious that when Kobe puts in 100% effort he is still one of the best defensive guards in the league.
Hmm, I'm still not too sold. He can still guard good scorers, but I don't think he can guard great players like CP3, Durant, Westbrook, Lebron, etc. It was pretty evident in the 2011 playoffs when he guarded CP3 and he got crapped on like the rest.

strifed169
01-16-2013, 03:20 AM
Jennings is doomed to shoot 40% for the rest of his career, he'll get my attention if he shuts down an actual all star

gtfomyface
01-16-2013, 03:20 AM
everyone knows kobe is one of the best defenders in the league, the problem is effort lol, some nights he goes hard on defense, other nights all you see him do is chase down open 3 point shooters

White Mamba
01-16-2013, 03:23 AM
everyone knows kobe is one of the best defenders in the league, the problem is effort lol, some nights he goes hard on defense, other nights all you see him do is chase down open 3 point shooters

its not effort, its age and minutes.

KOBE143
01-16-2013, 03:25 AM
DPOY :confusedshrug:

stallionaire
01-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Jennings is a borderline bust. Why do we care what he thinks? His offense is solid but shaky at best.

Mr. Jabbar
01-16-2013, 03:28 AM
Now that kobe reunited with vanessa he is:

Best offensive player
Best defensive player
Best family man
Best twitter

DPOY, SCORING TITLE, MVP, FINALS MVP, 6th RING = Lock.

swag2011
01-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Hmm, I'm still not too sold. He can still guard good scorers, but I don't think he can guard great players like CP3, Durant, Westbrook, Lebron, etc. It was pretty evident in the 2011 playoffs when he guarded CP3 and he got crapped on like the rest.

you sound idiotic. Who can guard those players and shut them down lol? Against CP3 earlier this month, kobe held him to 11/25 shooting, well under his average FG%. Not to mention CP3 scored his last 4 points at the free throw line, so he essentially got 26 points on 25 shots. sounds good to me.

I take it Lebron guarded KD amazingly when KD went off for what, 31 points on 51% shooting in the finals :oldlol: gimmie a break.

Kews1
01-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Avery Bradley was injured when the Celtics played the Bucks so this is no surprise :oldlol:

okayabc123
01-16-2013, 04:02 AM
Lets be real though, no one can really 'shutdown' players like Lebron, kd, cp3... But we should expect Kobe to shutdown players like Jennings.

Tonight was a brutally honest reality check for Jennings. Dude has one speed, and he is good when Kobe is backpedaling, and blow past Kobe at will, but he can't finish. And when Kobe squares up on D., Jennings couldn't do anything. Jennings might want to learn how to change speed, change direction, and change his game. Dude sux!

anthonyRandolph
01-16-2013, 04:04 AM
you sound idiotic. Who can guard those players and shut them down lol? Against CP3 earlier this month, kobe held him to 11/25 shooting, well under his average FG%. Not to mention CP3 scored his last 4 points at the free throw line, so he essentially got 26 points on 25 shots. sounds good to me.

I take it Lebron guarded KD amazingly when KD went off for what, 31 points on 51% shooting in the finals :oldlol: gimmie a break.
You are aware Chris Paul is shooting 48 percent this season and 11/25 is 44% so there's that..

G-Funk
01-16-2013, 04:14 AM
The prostitutes want Kobe to defend like hes 27 again, fact is he shouldnt even be doing that at age 34. Not even players like Cp3, Durant & Bron take on such challenges.

G-Funk
01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
You are aware Chris Paul is shooting 48 percent this season and 11/25 is 44% so there's that..
Did u even watch the game against thw Clippers, Kobe kept Paul from penetrating.

Magic bird
01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Avery Bradley was injured when the Celtics played the Bucks so this is no surprise :oldlol:

Could'nt have been said any better:cheers: , Brandon Jennings will go 0-15 next time the Bucks show up at the Garden. Book it.

Breezy
01-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Kobe Byrant is one of the greatest players of all time and a beast defensively when he puts the clamps on.... That said. If anyone on the lakers make an all defensive team this year we can all collectively disregard them as a serious award.

Jyap9675
01-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Defensebe

Magic bird
01-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Defensebe
:lol

StroShow4
01-16-2013, 05:44 AM
Kobe actually tries on defense for one night and he's DPOY? GTFO. His D has been garbage all season.

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 08:09 AM

KOBE PLAYED GREAT D.

But playing defense on low efficient guards is not what all defense is. But he is a pleasure to watch and one of the few that I still watch in the NBA..

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Did u even watch the game against thw Clippers, Kobe kept Paul from penetrating.

Didn't CP3 play really well that game. Obviously Kobe will be much better than Nash on defense. Nash is bad. Kobe has been bad as well but knows how to funnel guys toward his help defense in Howard. Nash can't even do that.

STATUTORY
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
KOBE PLAYED GREAT D.

But playing defense on low efficient guards is not what all defense is. But he is a pleasure to watch and one of the few that I still watch in the NBA..

:oldlol: this guy actin like he's not crushed to see kobe lighting it up at this age

I thought u had wade > kobe?

Bcogswell
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Kobe is a good defender when he tries, which doesn't excuse him playing shit defence all season.

JellyBean
01-16-2013, 08:58 AM

I hear ya. It annoys the heck out of me when I hear folks saying that Kobe doesn't play defense. Or give full effort on the defensive end of the court. We all agree that MJ is the GOAT. A great defender, same with Scottie Pippen. Steady Pippen was a solid defender. But watch a full game. Those two took plays off just like Kobe does. They knew, like Kobe does, when to turn on/off the defensive pressure. The haters are going to hate on Kobe no matter what he does.

pauk
01-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Kobes on-ball perimeter defense was always elite when he really wanted to, obviously at this stage in his career he is not able to play it at that level as often as he would like...

Vertical-24
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM

With a bad knee and later, a twisted ankle. Honestly, CP3 shat on us a whole squad. He's a brilliant player. But the notion that Kobe can't guard great players is false. He successfully locked D-Wade down at Staples in '12 and he had quite a lockdown expedition on Russell last year. Didn't GOATbrook go 3-20 or something?

Now I don't know if he can lock down a prime, 260lb, 6'8" LeBron James or a 6'9'' lengthy forward in Kevin Durant but everyone else is pretty fair game. When putting in effort, Kobe is still one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I said it and stand by it.

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
:oldlol: this guy actin like he's not crushed to see kobe lighting it up at this age

I thought u had wade > kobe?

Kobe is lighting it up to the tune of 17-21 with one of the most talented teams in the league. :roll: :applause:

Kobe was great when Dhoward was gone. Dude got ripped a new one by both Durant and Westbrook. :roll:

Last night he kept Jennings from getting his. Great. A guy who usually shoots around 39 percent getting held to 29 percent.. :bowdown:

As for Wade the guy just isn't playing at a high level.

Last night and during that 6 game losING STREAK FOR THE LAKERS it was obvious that DHOWARD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT LAKER.

I am sure that is crushing you... I on the other hand barely watch bball anymore. Only the big games.

AussieG
01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Kobe is a good defender.. when he WANTS to be. Which seems to be rare these days.. but maybe that will change if the Lakers start winning more.

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 10:01 AM
James Harden made nine field goals in the paint Tuesday, tied for his most in a game this season. Harden was able to attack the rim without Dwight Howard in the lineup, attempting 12 of his 19 shots from the paint in Tuesday's game. In the Rockets' first two games against the Lakers this season, Harden struggled in the paint with Howard in the lineup.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :rockon:

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Kobe is a good defender.. when he WANTS to be. Which seems to be rare these days.. but maybe that will change if the Lakers start winning more.

BS kobe can be a good defender with a great defensive presence behind him... But without the bigs he is toast.

James Harden made nine field goals in the paint Tuesday, tied for his most in a game this season. Harden was able to attack the rim without Dwight Howard in the lineup, attempting 12 of his 19 shots from the paint in Tuesday's game. In the Rockets' first two games against the Lakers this season, Harden struggled in the paint with Howard in the lineup.

AussieG
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Another point is.. people always talk about players being good defenders or shit defenders.. but there is onball lock down defense.. and then there is team defense and help defense.

Some players are weak 1 on 1 defenders, but there is no excuse for anyone to be a bad help or team defender. Rotating, trusting in other teammates and giving 3rd effort, 4th effort and 5th effort in 24 seconds.. instead of giving up on a play.

The second one is mainly about coaching and team chemistry. The first one.. is rarely needed because not a lot of teams or players use isolations that much. Superstars do, but basketball is a team game.. and even without any lockdown defenders.. a team can still play good team defense and win games.

The players in Memphis.. Gasol, Conley, Gay, Z-Bo.. they were all considered weak defenders. Even without Tony Allen.. in the last few seasons, they are all good defenders now. They are the best, or one of.. the best defensive teams in the league.. and that's because they play team defense, are well coached and trust in each other. They put in effort on both sides of the floor and understand each other well.. and the schemes that they use.

1 on 1 defense is overrated.. unless you are facing players like Durant or Kobe or LeBron.. but the problem is.. even when you DO have a good lockdown defender.. these players are so good.. if they are hitting their shots.. NO ONE can stop them.

Where as team defense is a constant thing.. every possession, every quarter.. every game. Kobe's defense doesn't even really matter, as long as the Lakers as a whole play good team defense. Especially if they make the playoffs. All of the players need to play good team defense. If there is a weak leak, they should be benched.

Kobe's team defense.. a lot of the time this season has been awful.

STATUTORY
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Kobe is lighting it up to the tune of 17-21 with one of the most talented teams in the league. :roll: :applause:

Kobe was great when Dhoward was gone. Dude got ripped a new one by both Durant and Westbrook. :roll:

Last night he kept Jennings from getting his. Great. A guy who usually shoots around 39 percent getting held to 29 percent.. :bowdown:

As for Wade the guy just isn't playing at a high level.

Last night and during that 6 game losING STREAK FOR THE LAKERS it was obvious that DHOWARD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT LAKER.

I am sure that is crushing you... I on the other hand barely watch bball anymore. Only the big games.

NBA ain't the same without that bald headed big tongued gambler running amuck?

lakers are 2-0 in the new season since kobe started shutting down opposing team's elite guards

the type of stuff he's gonna do to dwyane in that matchup..

lpublic_enemyl
01-16-2013, 10:27 AM
u can try to guard those guys but they are still gonna get theirs, look at it like this, how many ppl can actually guard lebron or durant and keep them from scoring 20+

Just2McFly
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
The prostitutes want Kobe to defend like hes 27 again, fact is he shouldnt even be doing that at age 34. Not even players like Cp3, Durant & Bron take on such challenges.
Nah Lebron just guards Melo/Granger/Pierce and Durant during postseasons.:facepalm

I.R.Beast
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Kobe still has arguably the defensive technique around however he doesnt play defense wll the time. When he does he is great. Hard for a dudemhis age to give his all on O the way he does and play killer D on every possession. The younger stars dont even do it.

Clifton
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
All it takes to shut down Brandon Jennings is to actually remember to guard him. Whenever I see him score 30, a lot of it is shots he jacks up that as a defender I wouldn't think anyone would actually take unless he were the caliber player of a Kobe.

Jennings and JR Smith belong to the Gilbert Arenas school of, "well all you have to do to score 30 is shoot a lot. the only difference between guys who score 30 and guys who don't is how many shots they're willing to take it. it's right there; take what's yours."

And yes, Kobe is a very good defender when he's trying. To call him tier one is a mistake though. He gets put on all-D teams mainly because MJ was. To be a tier one defender you have to consistently, night after night, be a game-changer on defense. Not just get really low in your stance in the last 2 minutes or against top swingmen on national TV. And anyway, he simply doesn't have tier one defensive instincts. They're good just not the very best.

Just2McFly
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM
All it takes to shut down Brandon Jennings is to actually remember to guard him. Whenever I see him score 30, a lot of it is shots he jacks up that as a defender I wouldn't think anyone would actually take unless he were the caliber player of a Kobe.

Jennings and JR Smith belong to the Gilbert Arenas school of, "well all you have to do to score 30 is shoot a lot. the only difference between guys who score 30 and guys who don't is how many shots they're willing to take it. it's right there; take what's yours."

And yes, Kobe is a very good defender when he's trying. To call him tier one is a mistake though. He gets put on all-D teams mainly because MJ was. To be a tier one defender you have to consistently, night after night, be a game-changer on defense. Not just get really low in your stance in the last 2 minutes or against top swingmen on national TV. And anyway, he simply doesn't have tier one defensive instincts. They're good just not the very best.
Did you really compare JR Smith and Brandon Jennings to Gilbert Arenas?

Gilbert was a beast of a scorer.

zizozain
01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
gyno is back??

is that you gionbli1142 or one of your two brothers sharing the pc?

NBASTATMAN = gyno = DMAVS41

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
NBA ain't the same without that bald headed big tongued gambler running amuck?

lakers are 2-0 in the new season since kobe started shutting down opposing team's elite guards

the type of stuff he's gonna do to dwyane in that matchup..

Damn you are dumb. Didn't that start when Dhoward came bacK?:roll:

"James Harden made nine field goals in the paint Tuesday, tied for his most in a game this season. Harden was able to attack the rim without Dwight Howard in the lineup, attempting 12 of his 19 shots from the paint in Tuesday's game. In the Rockets' first two games against the Lakers this season, Harden struggled in the paint with Howard in the lineup."

Found this on ESPN website.....

Rapid Reaction: Lakers 104, Bucks 88
LOS ANGELES -- Until the Lakers lose a game, the fans in Los Angeles will be pleased as punch going along with coach Mike D'Antoni's "the season starts Sunday" proclamation. While the Lakers are 2-0 since D'Antoni made the statement, maybe the more apt declaration would have been: The season starts when Dwight Howard dominates

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
gyno is back??

is that you gionbli1142 or one of your two brothers sharing the pc?

NBASTATMAN = gyno = DMAVS41

lol. I remember those guys I guess they like me no lonGER watch a lot of NBA games. College bball is much better.

I do hear that many older players are playing like they have turned back the clock. I wonder what they are taking...

SilkkTheShocker
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Why do people feel the need to prop up a player with a terrible record, when he is playing on the most stacked team in the NBA?

STATUTORY
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Damn you are dumb. Didn't that start when Dhoward came bacK?:roll:
lol dwight howard also played in games before that, the only thing different about the recent surge that wasn't present before is Kobe locking down elite guards on the opposing team. that is the difference. stay salty tho, u not even watching the mavs anymore? thought u were a diehard fan :oldlol:

glidedrxlr22
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I just knew this would be one of the many konex sucks kobe off threads. :facepalm

Go Getter
01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Jennings is a borderline bust. Why do we care what he thinks? His offense is solid but shaky at best.
Solid but shaky, lol

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
lol dwight howard also played in games before that, the only thing different about the recent surge that wasn't present before is Kobe locking down elite guards on the opposing team. that is the difference. stay salty tho, u not even watching the mavs anymore? thought u were a diehard fan :oldlol:

Never a Mavs fan dude.I have always been a Wade fan and he has scuked this year. His defense and offense is just bad.

And what ELITE GUARD DID KOBE LOCK DOWN? :roll:

Durant shitted on him. So did Westbrook.The only way Kobe can defend Westbrook is with big man help down low. If not Westbrook runs right past him like he did the other night.. lol

So he played good d on a guy that usually shoots under 40 percent.. Great job . Wait Dhoward was there to help. And Dhoward is starting to look like the most dominant player in the league again. Without good bigs to help him Kobe is bad on defense. That is why the Laker organization always gets the best bigs.

chazzy
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Nbastatman is back with a vengeance!

longtime lurker
01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
ITT so many salty haters. :roll: it must kill yall inside to give Kobe any kind of credit.

G-Funk
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :rockon:

How stupid are u? Have u Ever heard of screens??? Harden never got pass Kobe without a pick...u ****ing tard

SilkkTheShocker
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
ITT so many salty haters. :roll: it must kill yall inside to give Kobe any kind of credit.

Not really. But in general, I have never seen a player's actual impact on the game of basketball be as overrated as Kobe. This guy can't even get past the first round unless he is playing with the most stacked frontcourt in the NBA. Hell, he missed the playoffs playing with Butler and Odom alone.

Nick Young
01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
DPoTYbe

fpliii
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Kobe's always been a great man defender (especially on-ball), this is nothing new.

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Nbastatman is back with a vengeance!

Raining in NY and things are slow at trabajo.. :rockon:

Don't get used to it.. The Thunder are winning it this year unless LA can get in gear or Miami can get a good rebounding big on their team pronto.

MostHated305
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Kobe actually tries on defense for one night and he's DPOY? GTFO. His D has been garbage all season.

This.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Media is fcuking worst

After the game i flipped to BSPN and mutha fcukas were saying kone's D in the 1st half was horrible

Its pathetic how media can spin the reality and present to average fan

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
How stupid are u? Have u Ever heard of screens??? Harden never got pass Kobe without a pick...u ****ing tard

Idiot Harden was going down full court and kobe just got out of his way in that game. When the game was on the line Kobe wasn't defending either lin or harden.. :roll:

STATUTORY
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Idiot Harden was going down full court and kobe just got out of his way in that game. When the game was on the line Kobe wasn't defending either lin or harden.. :roll:

that was before he flipped the switch. he was playing team defense back then and that's not something he excels at, he gets lost watching the ball. but now he's focusing on man defense, gonna be scary for the league.

u think ur boy wade gonna break 20 points tomorrow?

NBASTATMAN
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
that was before he flipped the switch. he was playing team defense back then and that's not something he excels at, he gets lost watching the ball. but now he's focusing on man defense, gonna be scary for the league.

u think ur boy wade gonna break 20 points tomorrow?

So he felt like flipping the switch after they lost like 6 in a row.. YOU FCUKERS R TOO :roll:

They have faced bad teams. Miami looks bad as well on the road if you haven't noticed and Wade has packed it in after last years title...

Dude ,Wade hasn't broken 20 against shitty teams with no interior defense in his last three games. Dude isn't bringing it like the Lebrons, Durants, Melos.. Wade flat out looks horrible.

I will say that you are correct kobe has never been good at team defense.

glidedrxlr22
01-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Media is fcuking worst

After the game i flipped to BSPN and mutha fcukas were saying kone's D in the 1st half was horrible

Its pathetic how media can spin the reality and present to average fan

You're pathetic....u get all butthurt when analysts criticize your god. GTFO.

talamo
01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
in b4 Wade drops 11 on Kobe

Clifton
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Did you really compare JR Smith and Brandon Jennings to Gilbert Arenas?

Gilbert was a beast of a scorer.
Arenas wouldn't be able to surpass 25ppg today. He benefitted greatly from the officiating style of the mid-00s. He would tear ass into the paint and get fouled. That was the Wizards' go-to play in crunchtime.

He was extremely fast and strong, but he never had the scoring instincts of someone like Paul Pierce or AI. Again... he just had really heavy stones. Was never afraid to pull up from 3 on you.

What puts Gilbert over JR and Jennings is not scoring instinct or skill, but the willingness to straight up dive into a sea of defenders and get to the line. He was fantastically strong and could take the hits. Jennings can't and JR can't dribble well enough to do it.

upside24
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
nobody said he can't play good D.....it was the fact that he just did not give a shit and did not try. i watch every single laker game....it was obvious.
This.

He hasn't put much effort on the defensive end this season except the last couple games but it's too little too late. In the Spurs game he time after time got caught ballwatching and his guy scored.

On ball defense he isn't that bad, but it's just too late in the season to start playing 100% on each end of the court. Kobe and the team in general should have been showing this kind of defensive effort from day one.

I<3NBA
01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
truly sad when Kobetards have to use Brandon Jennings to make Kobe look good on D.

yeah Jennings is a nightmare match up :lol