PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant is not a better scorer than LeBron... or is he?

PleezeBelieve
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know. They're both having great seasons.

Who you think?

chazzy
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
It's time to start comparing Durant to the best scorers ever, not just this year. He's been that good.

Jolokia
01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
He's definitely the better shooter but as an overall scorer, it's close. I believe Lebron could lead the league in PPG if he wanted to, but he doesn't, so I'll give the edge to Durant.

ShaqAttack3234
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I have to say Durant has been the better scorer since 2011 or so.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
It's time to start comparing Durant to the best scorers ever, not just this year. He's been that good.
LeBron is one of the best scorers ever. Only MJ and Wilt have higher career PPG in the regular season, and LBJ is 4th all time in playoffs PPG as well. That said, Durant is a better scorer at this point.

StateOfMind12
01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Durant's been a better scorer since 2011 and I would say Durant was a better scorer than Lebron ever was, so yes he is.

I think Durant might be a better scorer than Kobe was.

DuMa
01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Durant easily but only because Lebron lets him be. Lebron is a more natural playmaker and will always prefer to let his teammates get shots. but you've seen when LBJ wants to score, GAME 6 Boston 2012, He will score.

chazzy
01-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Durant easily but only because Lebron lets him be.
No, he's just better

ripthekik
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
lebron only scores after using his massive body to overpower people. once his athleticism falls, his scoring is going to drop big time. Durant won't, he can keep shooting for a longggg time.

I<3NBA
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
1>0

end of discussion

Budadiiii
01-17-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm tired of hearing these excuses for LeBron.. god damn

Kevin Durant is a better scorer, deal with it.

HardwoodLegend
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
lebron only scores after using his massive body to overpower people. once his athleticism falls, his scoring is going to drop big time. Durant won't, he can keep shooting for a longggg time.

I think we will see LeBron continue to cultivate his jumpshooting and evolve his scoring.

Mr Exlax
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm kind of on the fence. Most of Durants points have come assisted am I right? Where as Lebron is the primary creator for all of his points. Durant seems more effortless and everything, but Lebron can't really be stopped. I dunno. I can't answer this one.

HardwoodLegend
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm tired of hearing these excuses for LeBron.. god damn

They're not excuses, they're explanations.

It's not like LeBron needs defending. If he wanted to, he would lead the league in scoring. Period. His approach to the game is simply different.

Rysio
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
lebron doesnt have the skills to be the best scorer in the game. im so tired of you clowns calling anyone a great scorer just cause they have high fg%.

ganja0710
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
1>0

end of discussion
:wtf:

HardwoodLegend
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
lebron doesnt have the skills to be the best scorer in the game. im so tired of you clowns calling anyone a great scorer just cause they have high fg%.

High FG%, has previously won a scoring title, and demonstrates dominant bursts of scoring.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
We're calling him a great scorer because he has the third highest scoring average in NBA HISTORY.

Every season after rookie season 25+ PPG
2 30+ PPG seasons
1 scoring title
2 times leading Playoffs in PPG (one time averaging 35+ PPG)
9 50+ point games
4th all time in Playoffs PPG

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Durant is a much more versatile scorer and already has 3 scoring titles to his name.

I'd say it's close, but Durant is better.

lebron only scores after using his massive body to overpower people.

That's a great advantage.

KG215
01-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Durant easily but only because Lebron lets him be.

Lebron could lead the league in PPG if he wanted to, but he doesn't.

I'm getting really, really tired of hearing and reading this. During the Heat game last night Jon Barry said LeBron could lead the league in scoring and average 35 a game if he wanted to. People either just assume Durant is just setting out every year to lead the league in scoring or don't realize how ignorant that sounds when they say it.

If you want to argue LeBron is just as good of or a better scorer than Durant, fine; but don't insult people's intelligence with the shallow blanket "LeBron could lead the league in scoring if he wanted" statement, while pretending Durant couldn't.

HardwoodLegend
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm getting really, really tired of hearing and reading this. During the Heat game last night Jon Barry said LeBron could lead the league in scoring and average 35 a game if he wanted to. People either just assume Durant is just setting out every year to lead the league in scoring or don't realize how ignorant that sounds when they say it.

If you want to argue LeBron is just as good of or a better scorer than Durant, fine; but don't insult people's intelligence with the shallow blanket "LeBron could lead the league in scoring if he wanted" statement, while pretending Durant couldn't.

True.

And, Westbrook negatively impacts Durant's scoring too.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
True.

And, Westbrook negatively impacts Durant's scoring too.
I disagree, at least to an extent. Durant would get much more defensive attention if he didn't play with Westbrook. His PPG might be higher, but he would definitely not have his godlike efficiency if he was in a situation like T-Mac in Orlando, LBJ in Cleveland, Wade post-Shaq pre-Big 3, or Kobe from 05-07.

Is He Ill
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
1>0

end of discussion

took LBJ long enough

chazzy
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM

It's hilarious because Durant is taking less shots than Lebron, so it's not like he's gunning for it. He's just more efficient

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:14 PM
It's hilarious because Durant is taking less shots than Lebron, so it's not like he's gunning for it. He's just more efficient
Durant gets a lot more FT's.

Budadiiii
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
They're not excuses, they're explanations.

It's not like LeBron needs defending. If he wanted to, he would lead the league in scoring. Period. His approach to the game is simply different.
lol what? LeBron COULD lead the league in scoring... but Durant has for the past three years... lol @ thinking LeBron is the ONLY player being held back offensively...

Durant could average 40 if he wanted to...

I mean he shares the court with a dude who takes more shots than him and he still averages 6 more points.....

see how easy that is?

Stop making excuses. Durant > LeBron in terms of SCORING.

Budadiiii
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Another excuse. FT's aren't a part of the game?

FT's are a big reason why Durant is a better scorer.

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Well said. Anyone can score or lead the league in scoring in theory. It's much different when you actually do it. There's a lot of talk about how Carmelo is the best scorer (with no scoring titles), but I don't see anything outside of a polished post game that Durant couldn't (and I'm pretty sure Durant can mature into a solid post player).

That's the mismatch advantage taking place. He forces refs to make calls and makes it harder for defenses to stop him.

Not to mention, Durant being a far better free throw shooter.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Another excuse. FT's aren't a part of the game?

FT's are a big reason why Durant is a better scorer.
That's part of why LeBron averages more shot attempts this season, he isn't getting as many free throws as he usually does. And I'm not making excuses, I already said Durant was a better scorer.

LikeABosh
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Durant=better scorer. Lebron=better offensive player. There's a difference

Budadiiii
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
That's part of why LeBron averages more shot attempts this season, he isn't getting as many free throws as he usually does. And I'm not making excuses, I already said Durant was a better scorer.
Yah, my bad.

KG215
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
I disagree, at least to an extent. Durant would get much more defensive attention if he didn't play with Westbrook. His PPG might be higher, but he would definitely not have his godlike efficiency if he was in a situation like T-Mac in Orlando, LBJ in Cleveland, Wade post-Shaq pre-Big 3, or Kobe from 05-07.
He was still scoring on great efficiency in his first few years before Westbrook and Harden emerged. I know Westbrook averaged around 15 PPG his first two seasons, but he was even more inefficient than he is now. He wouldn't score more PPG at this godlike efficiency, but that's true for anyone because the more shots a player takes per game, the more the FG% drops. But I don't think we'd see a big drop in efficiency numbers in a role like one of those players you mentioned. Not at this point in his career. He's to evolved and developed as a scorer.

ShaqAttack3234
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

That's one thing that bothers me. Not to take away from him, 29 ppg on 53/40/90 is incredible, but his free throws are pretty excessive. Regardless, I'd say he's been the better scorer at least since he improved his fadeaway last season. Though he's probably been the better scorer since 2011.

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
That's one thing that bothers me. Not to take away from him, 29 ppg on 53/40/90 is incredible, but his free throws are pretty excessive. Regardless, I'd say he's been the better scorer at least since he improved his fadeaway last season. Though he's probably been the better scorer since 2011.

Would you say he gets too much "superstar" treatment ?

KG215
01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
It's on the verge of becoming one of those incredibly ignorant statements that everyone just assumes is right because they hear it so often. You know, instead of trying to do any research and critical thinking of their own, they'll just post or say that, and think they're coming off as knowledgeable.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:31 PM
He was still scoring on great efficiency in his first few years before Westbrook and Harden emerged. I know Westbrook averaged around 15 PPG his first two seasons, but he was even more inefficient than he is now. He wouldn't score more PPG at this godlike efficiency, but that's true for anyone because the more shots a player takes per game, the more the FG% drops. But I don't think we'd see a big drop in efficiency numbers in a role like one of those players you mentioned. Not at this point in his career. He's to evolved and developed as a scorer.
He was nowhere close to 52.5% though. 43.0%, 47.6%, 47.6%, 46.2%, 49.6%, 52.5% so far in his career.

KG215
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
He was nowhere close to 52.5% though. 43.0%, 47.6%, 47.6%, 46.2%, 49.6%, 52.5% so far in his career.
And LeBron didn't have his first 50%+ season until his last year in Cleveland. That was a younger, worse version of Durant. Look at the progression of Durant and LeBron's efficiency numbers (FG%, TS%, eFG%)...they're very similar. I honestly believe, by his 7th or 8th year, after he's developed his postgame more, gotten a little stronger, and added a little more weight, he'd have some 25-28 PPG seasons on around 50% shooting. I really don't want to sound like a Durant stan, but I don't think people realize how damn good of a scorer Durant is becoming.

chazzy
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah it reminds me of how Reggie Miller had a better free throw rate than Jordan. I think their weak lower bodies cause them to lose balance more than other players on marginal contact so the officials are forced to blow the whistle. Duran't length also makes it difficult to contest/block his shots in traffic.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
And LeBron didn't have his first 50%+ season until his last year in Cleveland. That was a younger, worse version of Durant. Look at the progression of Durant and LeBron's efficiency numbers (FG%, TS%, eFG%)...they're very similar. I honestly believe, by his 7th or 8th year, after he's developed his postgame more, gotten a little stronger, and added a little more weight, he'd have some 25-28 PPG seasons on around 50% shooting. I really don't want to sound like a Durant stan, but I don't think people realize how damn good of a scorer Durant is becoming.
Well, in Miami at least he has Wade and Bosh so he gets a lot less attention compared to getting almost all the attention in Cleveland, hence why he shoots much higher. Durant the last two years has had Westbrook/Harden and Westbrook/Martin, with Westbrook really coming into his own as a superstar and Harden (last year) breaking out (obviously he's breaking out even more now).

chazzy
01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Well, in Miami at least he has Wade and Bosh so he gets a lot less attention compared to getting almost all the attention in Cleveland, hence why he shoots much higher.
Nah his efficiency remained the same pretty much, he just took less 3s.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Nah his efficiency remained the same pretty much, he just took less 3s.
**** TS%

chazzy
01-17-2013, 03:55 PM
**** TS%
Ok

Micku
01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Durant I feel is the better scorer, but LeBron could score more if he wanted to.

But it's the way Durant score that makes him the better. He could also score more if he demanded the ball more. And he is good in all aspects. He doesn't need the ball to score, he can catch and shoot, spot up, he can beat you off the dribble, I've seen him post and face up, and he is great at the FTs. The FTs is along with his versatility of scoring makes him better.

LeBron James is a very good shooter on the floor, but he isn't a good FT shooter, which is weird seeing how he is good from mid-range and 3pt line. Durant is a better shooter shooter tho. Both are very efficient on the floor though. LeBron has a better eFG% than Durant because he is better at his efficiency against the defense. Durant has a better TS% because of his FTs, which makes him a more efficient scorer.

LBJ is more of PG, so he has the ball more in his hands controlling the offense than Durant.

RRR3
01-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Durant I feel is the better scorer, but LeBron could score more if he wanted to.

But it's the way Durant's score that makes him the better. He could also score more if he demanded the ball more. And he is good in all aspects. He doesn't need the ball to score, he can catch and shoot, spot up, he can beat you off the dribble, I've seen him post and face up, and he is great at the FTs. The FTs is along with his versatility of scoring makes him better.

LeBron James is a very good shooter on the floor, but he isn't a good FT shooter, which is weird seeing how he is good from mid-range and 3pt line. Durant is a better shooter shooter tho. Both are very efficient on the floor though. LeBron has a better eFG% than Durant because he is better at his efficiency against the defense. Durant has a better TS% because of his FTs, which makes him a more efficient scorer.

LBJ is more of PG, so he has the ball more in his hands controlling the offense than Durant.
LBJ is a streak FT shooter. Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde at Free Throws, as I say at times:lol Remember in 2011 playoffs there was a stretch he made 34 or so in a row. Then he'll have stretches like earlier this year where he shoots like Shaq for a while. Overall, he'll usually end up around 75% or so

BuffaloBill
01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Lebron is one of the best scorers of all time. But Durant is better.

But they could both score a lot more if they wanted to.

Round Mound
01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Durant is a Better Far Range Shooter. Thats About It. Mid Range Shooting? Both Are Pretty Equal since Lebron as of Now Has Developed a Post Game. As Far as Driving to the Basket, Transition Game, Open Floor Penetrating, Driving to the Basket and Going 1 on 1...Lebron is The Best At It Right Now.

TMT
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Durant is a Better Far Range Shooter. Thats About It. Mid Range Shooting? Both Are Pretty Equal since Lebron as of Now Has Developed a Post Game. As Far as Driving to the Basket, Transition Game, Open Floor Penetrating, Driving to the Basket and Going 1 on 1...Lebron is The Best At It Right Now.

Saying KD and Lebron have the same mid range game is a joke. Durant has the best mid range game in the league, has one of the best shooting touches, and that combined with his size and ability to get his shot off is pretty unstoppable. Don't disrespect KD's game by saying Lebron is just as good a mid range shooter. If anything that's the most hit or miss thing about Lebron's game. Durant still has the ability to get bigger and develop a post game much earlier in his career than Lebron did. KD is also an underrated penetrator, and his length absolutely allows him to go over top of people.

I'd say KD is the best scorer in the game right now. Lebron is the best at physically imposing his will while driving to the basket.

STATUTORY
01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
:facepalm

this is a conclusion someone can only come to if they don't watch games at all and only compile boxscores in excel sheets get a clue

28renyoy
01-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Durant is clearly superior. LeBron has never even approached 65.3 TS%, much less on 29 ppg as Durant is posting this year.

And the only reason LeBron has a higher FG% than Durant is because he gets way more fast break baskets, which boost his FG%.

Durant's eFG% in the half court is 55.8. LeBron's is 54.3

Then when you factor in FT%, there is a massive differential between the players. Also LeBron's game is heavily dependent upon getting to the rim, which is almost impossible to do in late game situations which is why you very rarely seeing him shooting in crunch time. Durant on the otherhand is flat out unstoppable.

How about this for a stat. LeBron James's TS% is 61.5% on the year. Durant has shot UNDER 61.5% in only 9 of 39 games :bowdown:

Round Mound
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Saying KD and Lebron have the same mid range game is a joke. Durant has the best mid range game in the league, has one of the best shooting touches, and that combined with his size and ability to get his shot off is pretty unstoppable. Don't disrespect KD's game by saying Lebron is just as good a mid range shooter. If anything that's the most hit or miss thing about Lebron's game. Durant still has the ability to get bigger and develop a post game much earlier in his career than Lebron did. KD is also an underrated penetrator, and his length absolutely allows him to go over top of people.

I'd say KD is the best scorer in the game right now. Lebron is the best at physically imposing his will while driving to the basket.

Look Just Because You are a Better Far Range and Pure Shooter Doesn`t Make You a Better Scorer. Durant is Not as Dominant Going 1 on 1, Penetrating, Going Coast to Coast and Finishing and Driving to the Basket Off the Dribble as Lebron is.

There are More Ways of Scoring than Just Being a Better Pure Shooter. Durant is Good at Those Things Lebron is Better At It Too But Not in the Level of Lebron Yet Regarding Those Ways of Scoring.

Too Much Hype for Durant. I Agree He is the Best Pure Shooter in the NBA along Probably Dirk Nowitsky but People are Going to Far and Over Hyping Him

Durant is Talking About Developing his Skills Watching Larry Bird. Thats a Good Thing. He Needs To Rebound, Pass, Create, and Play Hard Nosed D as a Bird Used To Do. I Don`t Think He Will Develop as a Creator and Passer because Those Things and Vision Come Natural To One. Other than That He Surely Can Become a Top 10 SF of All Time No Doubt About It.

28renyoy
01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
This is absurd. You're comparing a 29 ppg 65+ TS% scorer vs a 26 ppg 61+ TS% scorer. There is NO ARGUMENT for LeBron even being on the same level of Durant as a scorer, at any point in LeBron's career.

This season by Durant is approaching GOAT level in terms of scoring and if he finishes around 66-67 TS% with 30 ppg on 50/40/90 it probably will be the GOAT scoring season.

Micku
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Durant is clearly superior. LeBron has never even approached 65.3 TS%, much less on 29 ppg as Durant is posting this year.

And the only reason LeBron has a higher FG% than Durant is because he gets way more fast break baskets, which boost his FG%.

Durant's eFG% in the half court is 55.8. LeBron's is 54.3

Then when you factor in FT%, there is a massive differential between the players. Also LeBron's game is heavily dependent upon getting to the rim, which is almost impossible to do in late game situations which is why you very rarely seeing him shooting in crunch time. Durant on the otherhand is flat out unstoppable.

How about this for a stat. LeBron James's TS% is 61.5% on the year. Durant has shot UNDER 61.5% in only 9 of 39 games :bowdown:

Where do you find those stats? I'm always curious on where you find half court stats.

TMT
01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
There's no helping this kid who only watches Lebron highlights clearly. But 28renyoy, you make some great points. Lebron at no point was a better overall scorer than KD right now.

He acts like KD has no vision, no handles, no driving ability, and no ability to run the floor. :oldlol:

ripthekik
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
all this lebron could if he wanted to is BS. he CANT.

Dictator
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Durant is abetter and more skilled scorer.

Lebrons's scoring comes from overpowering ppl or an occasional 3. Durant can chit on you from anywhere at any given time with a variety of different moves.

Micku
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Durant is abetter and more skilled scorer.

Lebrons's scoring comes from overpowering ppl or an occasional 3. Durant can chit on you fro anywhere at any given time with a variety of different moves.

No he doesn't. LeBron could shoot the mid range and post you up. And he could also shoot the 3 very well.

As you get down to the paint tho, LeBron is better than Durant because as you said, he overpowers ppl and quick. Similar to the small or so gap when it comes to jump shooting between LeBron and Durant, there is a gap when it comes to finishing. I would think that's the reason why he has a better FG%.

But the big reason why Durant is the better scorer and has the best TS% is the FTs. On the floor while the defense is playing, LeBron is great at his jumpshot, but Durant is better. Durant is great at finishing, but LeBron is better.

Round Mound
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Scoring is Scoring. Doesn`t Matter How it Looks What Matters is the Results. Are Whe Going to Take Shaq`s Points For Being Too Big, Strong and Overpowering His Opponents? :confusedshrug:

Lebron Scores at a Higher FG%....We Shouldn`t Care How He Does It (Overpowering People is Valid Too) But Results. He Can Shoot, Drive, Penetrate, Finish Open Court, Go Coast To Coast etc. He Can Do Almost Everything Well.

Durant is a Better Pure Shooter, Far Range Shooter (3pt included) and FT Shooter. He is Just a Better Shooter than Lebron. Other than Lebron is a Better In Game Scorer. Especially in the Play-Offs Where He Just Takes a Dump On The Whole League When They Appear.

Lets Also Remember that Lebron is Playing with Wade and Bosh...So His Job is Not To Take 30 FGAs Every Game But to Get Others Involved, Organize The Game and Produce All Around Game Wise. That is Harder To Do Than Just Shoot and Shoot.

This is No Hate on Durant...Its Just the Truth. Like it or Not.

BTW. Durant Deserves To Be The MVP This Year. I Admit To It Too.

TMT
01-17-2013, 05:05 PM
No he doesn't. LeBron could shoot the mid range and post you up. And he could also shoot the 3 very well.

As you get down to the paint tho, LeBron is better than Durant because as you said, he overpowers ppl and quick. Similar to the small or so gap when it comes to jump shooting between LeBron and Durant, there is a gap when it comes to finishing. I would think that's the reason why he has a better FG%.

But the big reason why Durant is the better scorer and has the best TS% is the FTs. On the floor while the defense is playing, LeBron is great at his jumpshot, but Durant is better. Durant is great at finishing, but LeBron is better.

Lebron is nothing but an average jump shooter. Anything more is a myth. He will never, ever have a game like Game 6 of the WCF against the Celtics again in his career.

All Net
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Yea he is and a better shooter but lebron isn't far behind.

Micku
01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Lebron is nothing but an average jump shooter. Anything more is a myth. He will never, ever have a game like Game 6 of the WCF against the Celtics again in his career.

LeBron this year:

10 to 15 ft: 44.7%
16 ft to 3-pt: 41.9%
3pt: 39.8%
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01/shooting/2013/

Lebron overall jumpshot is 42.5%

That's more than average, but not as stellar as Durant this year.

10 to 15 ft: 53.3%
16ft to 3-pt: 43.6%
3pt: 40.2%
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duranke01/shooting/2013/

Durant's overall jumpshot is 45.2%

These are the numbers for them right now. It'll change as the season progress.

che guevara
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
This is factually inaccurate. He's had PLENTY of games like game 6 before as far as jumpshooting is concerned (not just the regular season, but in the playoffs, too), he gets hot with his jumper all the time. Do you even watch him play? Any time he scores 45+, it's because he got scorching hot with his jumper.

He's also an above average jumpshooter by any measure, he's shooting 45% from 10-15 (+3% over league average), 42% from 16-23 (+4% over league average), and 40% on threes (+5% over league average).

NumberSix
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Remember when we used to have "it's Wade's team" threads? This too shall pass.

SilkkTheShocker
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
I remember people talking Durant up last season in the Finals until LeBron smacked him down to the point he was crying on his mother's shoulder. I expect the same results.

Budadiiii
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I remember people talking Durant up last season in the Finals until LeBron smacked him down to the point he was crying on his mother's shoulder. I expect the same results.
Not true. Durant played great, LeBrons teammates outplayed Durants plain and simple.

SilkkTheShocker
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Not true. Durant played great, LeBrons teammates outplayed Durants plain and simple.

Durant scored great. He literally did nothing else. And he also played terrible defense. Even when Brooks put him on the PG, Chalmers still had a big game.

Budadiiii
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Durant scored great. He literally did nothing else. And he also played terrible defense. Even when Brooks put him on the PG, Chalmers still had a big game.
He was 23 years old in his first finals :biggums:

Need I remind how LeBron performed his first two chances?

Silly to base your opinion on what happened last year :facepalm

No way LeBron is as hungry as last year, and vice versa for Durant, dude aint taken 2nd this year. Deal with it :pimp:

red1
01-17-2013, 06:23 PM
kd is the GOAT scorer

RoundMoundOfReb
01-17-2013, 06:24 PM
KD may be the greatest pure scorer of all time.

Young X
01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
This.

knicksman
01-17-2013, 07:16 PM
durants competition is only jordan and he may be better at him right now thats why durant is already better than lebron right now.

PyrrhusX
01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Holy dam, some people believe that Lebron could got for 30+ and league the league in scoring if he wanted to but forget KD is in exactly the same position. KD is the better scorer, but the better ALL-ROUND offensive player is probebly Lebron.

ganja0710
01-17-2013, 07:36 PM
"smacked him down"

:oldlol:

red1
01-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Holy dam, some people believe that Lebron could got for 30+ and league the league in scoring if he wanted to but forget KD is in exactly the same position. KD is the better scorer, but the better ALL-ROUND offensive player is probebly Lebron.
kd is a better scorer than lebron his shooting touch makes it obvious

stevieming
01-17-2013, 07:41 PM
KD is the better scorer.....I don't see how people don't see it, he scores in a variety of ways, post up, catch and shoot, dribble and shoot, floaters, crazy layups, power dunks, quick dunks, threes contested or not.....the man can score in all manner of ways.

Bron - power move & travel = dunk/power layup.....jump shot if it's on from time to time....terrible stiff post game.....

I don't understand how we're even having this discussion.....

Granted Bron is the better defender, passer...but KD is improving on those also, and KD in my opinion already has the killer instinct, which Lebron lost during those years at Cleveland and especially the first year at Miami.

ganja0710
01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
KD is the better scorer.....I don't see how people don't see it, he scores in a variety of ways, post up, catch and shoot, dribble and shoot, floaters, crazy layups, power dunks, quick dunks, threes contested or not.....the man can score in all manner of ways.

Bron - power move & travel = dunk/power layup.....jump shot if it's on from time to time....terrible stiff post game.....

I don't see how we're even having this discussion.....

Granted Bron is the better defender, passer...but KD is improving on those also, and KD in my opinion already has the killer instinct, which Lebron lost during those years at Cleveland and especially the first year at Miami.
Most "people" agree that he's the better scorer, it's LeBron stans that say otherwise, so they bust out the whole "LeBron could lead the league in scoring easily if he wanted to" argument. :oldlol:

pauk
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
People underestimate Lebron as a scorer because he is not a pure scorer.... with other words its very unlikely you will see Lebron go all-out trying to score as much as possible entire game.... but Lebrons actual scoring ability is probably better than anybody in the NBA, if he decided to be a pure scorer (focus on scoring) he would lead the league in PPG every time, i can guarantee you that... you would know this if you would have watched him enough, especially in the playoffs, how it looks like when the team needs it and he goes into that scoring mode...

He is a point-forward who just does whatever the teams needs him to in order to win....

Something very important that needs to be considered here is that Lebron averages 7 APG while he puts up points more efficiently than anybody in the NBA (55% FG @ 26 ppg)....... 7 assists a game is alot of offensive possessions "wasted" on passing instead of trying to score........ and he STILL for his career averages 28 PPG which is the 3rd highest in NBA history.... and is the youngest to every milestone.... Its fairly logical to say he would average more points if he was just a "pure scorer"....

Lebron is not a pure scorer like Durant, but his scoring ability is factually better than anybodies in the NBA right now... if he wasnt a point-forward, you would see it much more often... Right now he is also sharing the ball with two great scorers in Wade & Bosh, his scoring is not as needed as when he was in Cleveland... if he was still in Cleveland i believe he would still get more PPG than Durant has right now despite getting his 7+ apg...

Borat
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Who cares?

Lebron doesn't play a scoring position.
He is a point forward.

Who ties their shoelaces better?

Lebron > Durant.

stevieming
01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Most "people" agree that he's the better scorer, it's LeBron stans that say otherwise, so they bust out the whole "LeBron could lead the league in scoring easily if he wanted to" argument. :oldlol:

well after reading pauk's post after yours, the mind boggles.....call me when Lebron wins the league scoring title.

It's like the dunk contest thing.....why didn't he enter the dunk contest, because........

Same thing with the scoring title...

chazzy
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Durant scored great.
That's what this thread is about. His scoring

samballs
01-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Durant is a better scorer until Lebron is on him... So...

chazzy
01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
but his scoring ability is factually better than anybodies in the NBA right now
Based on what? Durant scores more on greater efficiency

Lebron23
01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
well after reading pauk's post after yours, the mind boggles.....call me when Lebron wins the league scoring title.

It's like the dunk contest thing.....why didn't he enter the dunk contest, because........

LeBron won the scoring title in 2008.

Suckafree
01-17-2013, 08:23 PM

I love reading uninformed posts

KG215
01-17-2013, 08:25 PM
but Lebrons actual scoring ability is probably better than anybody in the NBA, if he decided to be a pure scorer (focus on scoring) he would lead the league in PPG every time, i can guarantee you that...
There it is again. Kobe stans have driven me insane at times on here, but this statement/phrase, whatever....may be what eventually sends me over the edge.

Something very important that needs to be considered here is that Lebron averages 7 APG while he puts up points more efficiently than anybody in the NBA (55% FG @ 26 ppg)
Sure, he's the most efficient is you want to look at only FG%; and even then, Durant's averaging 29 PPG on 53%, so three more PPG on just 2% worse shooting, couldn't you argue Durant is more efficient this year? But I can use TS% where Durant is at 65% compared to LeBron's 62%. Want to use eFG%, fine; but again, you've got Durant scoring 29 PPG on 57% eFG% compared to LeBron's 26 PPG on 58% eFG%.

7 assists a game is alot of offensive possessions "wasted" on passing instead of trying to score........ and he STILL for his career averages 28 PPG which is the 3rd highest in NBA history.... and is the youngest to every milestone.... Its fairly logical to say he would average more points if he was just a "pure scorer"....
Sure, but it's also easy to say Durant would average 32-35 PPG if he took more than 18 shots per game and didn't let Westbrook dominate the ball. This crap where people say LeBron could easily score more or lead the league in scoring if he wanted to is getting old. Durant doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as LeBron. Just because he isn't averaging 7 APG doesn't mean he's focusing only on scoring.

Lebron is not a pure scorer like Durant, but his scoring ability is factually better than anybodies in the NBA right now
How so? How is his scoring ability factually better than anyone else's in the NBA?

if he wasnt a point-forward, you would see it much more often... Right now he is also sharing the ball with two great scorers in Wade & Bosh,
And Durant is second on his own team in FGA/game, has a 22 PPG scorer on his team in Westbrook, and two 15 PPG scorers on his team in Martin and Ibaka.

his scoring is not as needed as when he was in Cleveland... if he was still in Cleveland i believe he would still get more PPG than Durant has right now despite getting his 7+ apg...
And Durant's scoring isn't as needed now as it was when LeBron was in Cleveland. If it was, he could probably be averaging 32ish PPG. If LeBron was still in Cleveland right now, and Durant was on this current version of the Thunder sure, LeBron might be averaging 30-31 PPG or so; but I could easily say Durant averaging 29 PPG with three other guys on his team combining to score 51 PPG is just as impressive.

stevieming
01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
LeBron won the scoring title in 2008.

whoops, I stand corrected. :lol

PyrrhusX
01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
People underestimate Lebron as a scorer because he is not a pure scorer.... with other words its very unlikely you will see Lebron go all-out trying to score as much as possible entire game.... but Lebrons actual scoring ability is probably better than anybody in the NBA, if he decided to be a pure scorer (focus on scoring) he would lead the league in PPG every time, i can guarantee you that... you would know this if you would have watched him enough, especially in the playoffs, how it looks like when the team needs it and he goes into that scoring mode...

He is a point-forward who just does whatever the teams needs him to in order to win....

Something very important that needs to be considered here is that Lebron averages 7 APG while he puts up points more efficiently than anybody in the NBA (55% FG @ 26 ppg)....... 7 assists a game is alot of offensive possessions "wasted" on passing instead of trying to score........ and he STILL for his career averages 28 PPG which is the 3rd highest in NBA history.... and is the youngest to every milestone.... Its fairly logical to say he would average more points if he was just a "pure scorer"....

Lebron is not a pure scorer like Durant, but his scoring ability is factually better than anybodies in the NBA right now... if he wasnt a point-forward, you would see it much more often... Right now he is also sharing the ball with two great scorers in Wade & Bosh, his scoring is not as needed as when he was in Cleveland... if he was still in Cleveland i believe he would still get more PPG than Durant has right now despite getting his 7+ apg...

And Durant couldent?

Micku
01-17-2013, 08:39 PM

I'm more shocked at ppl who don't believe that LeBron could score more if he wanted to. In his third year, he average 31.4 ppg with less skills than he has now. Throughout his whole career, he has been more a pass first type of guy.

If he did decide to score more and attack, then he might be less efficient, but he would definitely average more points. But he is managing the offense of the Heat, being a point forward. The thing is, Durant is similar. He could score more if he wanted to as well. He would have to demand the ball more.

ganja0710
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm more shocked at ppl who don't believe that LeBron could score more if he wanted to. In his third year, he average 31.4 ppg with less skills than he has now. Throughout his whole career, he has been more a pass first type of guy.

If he did decide to score more and attack, then he might be less efficient, but he would definitely average more points. But he is managing the offense of the Heat, being a point forward. The thing is, Durant is similar. He could score more if he wanted to as well. He would have to demand the ball more.
I'm not saying its completely false to say such a thing, but it's a completely stupid argument to use when it can go both ways for Durant. Exactly what you said in your last few sentences.

What if Westbrook doesn't take more shots than Durant and give him a few more possessions for points? Or what if his 4+ assists were his own "wasted" possessions that lead to points? Durant would average 40 points easily.

All of these hypotheticals are equivalent to that.

KG215
01-17-2013, 09:01 PM

No one doesn't believe LeBron couldn't score more if he wanted. Me personally, when the discussion about who's a better scorer comes up, and people use that excuse, that's when I get mad. It leads me to believe Durant is just focusing on scoring and nothing else, and these 28-30 PPG type seasons is the best he could possibly do. Durant's never had a season in his prime where he had to be relied upon to carry the majority of the scoring load, who knows what he would do.

LeBron played 7 seasons in Cleveland, right? This is Durant's sixth season. Who's to say this version of Durant and next year's version wouldn't average, say, 33 PPG in a similar role with a similar supporting cast as LeBron had on those Cleveland teams?

Magic bird
01-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Better scorer, nowhere as versatile as James IMO

Money 23
01-17-2013, 09:48 PM

I'm not even a Bron fan, and I totally agree.

knicksman
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
wow lebron stans really have the lowest IQ on this board. They really believe that lebron could be the best if he focus on it. Hes not even better than jordan and thats why he is so embarrassing in the finals or against tough defenses coz the guy can be easily stopped.

KG215
01-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm not even a Bron fan, and I totally agree.
Again, the people that have a problem with that aren't disagreeing with the actual statement "LeBron could score more if he wanted to." We have a problem when, in a discussion such as this one, they say that about LeBron and act like Durant probably couldn't score more if he wanted to. As if all Durant is basically setting out to do each game is score.

KG215
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Yo pauk, I'm waiting for you to address my response to this post.