PDA

View Full Version : Trade! Grizzlies sending Speights, Selby and pick to Cavs for Lauer

All Net
01-22-2013, 09:48 AM
The Memphis Grizzlies acquired forward Jon Leuer (LOO-er) and a trade exception from the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for forward/center Marreese Speights, guards Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby and a protected future first round draft pick, Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace announced today.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12159#ixzz2IjPYiLCp

andremiller07
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Wow wtf seriously Speights has been fantastic since he came wtf seriously? Good pick up for the Cavs going forwards the pick n pop with Kyrie is going to do some damage when Maurice comes off the bench. Selby is a good talent but he will end up getting shipped out.

It's A VC3!!!
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
I have never heard of Lauer. I guess the Grizzlies want to shed some bench salary and keep the starting core together.

brantonli
01-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Must be a 2nd roudn pick, no way they are dumped a 1st round pick just to shed salary...

All Net
01-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Is this the start of the Grizzles dump salary session?

Burgz V2
01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
interesting. seems like they are committing to Z-Bo for the time being, otherwise they wouldn't spread their frontcourt thin.

Probably gonna take on a large expirer, need the cap space to make a move. Calderon+Bargs for Rudy and fillers? One can only dream.

Rekindled
01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
damnit why couldnt have the lakers offer someting better than leuer.

Speights+Selby for Morris+Jamison come on mitch

brantonli
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
damnit why couldnt have the lakers offer someting better than leuer.

Speights+Selby for Morris+Jamison come on mitch

The Lakers would have to be under the cap to help the Grizz relieve some salary.

dunksby
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Cavs picked up that guy from the waivers right? Damn they got good value for him :applause:

All Net
01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
@SpearsNBAYahoo: Cavaliers also get a second round pick in trade.

All Net
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
@KBergCBS: The trade saves the Grizzlies about $4M, pushing them under the tax line and eliminating financial need to move Rudy Gay this season.

brownmamba00
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Good trade for both teams

InspiredLebowski
01-22-2013, 10:14 AM
He means Leuer, as in Jon. Young jump shooting big from Wisconsin that probably won't get a 2nd NBA deal.

KembaWalker
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Not really the blockbuster trade I've been expecting but solid trade for both teams

AirTupac
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
And Wayne Ellington

Memphis also sends guard Wayne Ellington, who makes $2 million in the final year of his deal, to Cleveland.

SilkkTheShocker
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Wayne Ellington might also be included

(edit: already been confirmed by AirTupac)

Haymaker
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
They're gonna miss Ellington.

iDunk
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Wow so Memphis pretty much traded their whole bench for nothing. I hope Selby gets time in Cleveland.

rufuspaul
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Good move especially since Sideshow Bob is out for the season.

InspiredLebowski
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Memphis doesn't even have a full roster now, there's gotta be another guy coming, or another deal. I know they needed to get under the tax but they had to throw in a 1st? That's dumb.

wally_world
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Wow they are gonna miss Ellington and his shooting. This team needs more shooters with a slasher like Gay, and the Gasol/ZBo frontline, esp since Conley and TAllen arent great shooters.

Aside from that its a solid move. Arthur can fill Speights minutes and this allows them to keep Gay/ZBo (at least for the time being)

rufuspaul
01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Memphis doesn't even have a full roster now, there's gotta be another guy coming, or another deal. I know they needed to get under the tax but they had to throw in a 1st? That's dumb.

Rudy Gay to the Bobcats for anybody they want?

SilkkTheShocker
01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
S.hitty franchises can only pretend to care about winning for so long. Memphis is who we thought they were!! (Denny Green voice)

KembaWalker
01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Rudy Gay to the Bobcats for anybody they want?

Don't want him on the Bobcats to be honest

ctown4eva
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Believe it or not, it's 1 st round pick in 2015.

SilkkTheShocker
01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Believe it or not, it's 1 st round pick in 2015.

Meth-phis Tenn. just took it up the a.ss :oldlol: :oldlol:

Chapallaz
01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
More minutes for Arthur, who's one of the best back up big men in the league actually.

zac
01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
It's being reported out of Memphis that the Grizzlies are signing Bill Walker, Delonte West and Sasah Vujacic. It still keeps the Grizzlies under the tax line.

EDIT:@FlyerGrizBlog: Am told a Vujacic signing, if it happened, wouldn't be anytime soon. He's currently under contract in Turkey.

Meticode
01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
The pick is now a future first round draft pick.

DukeDelonte13
01-22-2013, 11:22 AM
It's being reported out of Memphis that the Grizzlies are signing Bill Walker, Delonte West and Sasah Vujacic. It still keeps the Grizzlies under the tax line.

EDIT:@FlyerGrizBlog: Am told a Vujacic signing, if it happened, wouldn't be anytime soon. He's currently under contract in Turkey.

D-West is a very good pick up. I wish the cavs would pick him back up they need a SG like him.

Good move for both teams. Grizz didn't take it up the ass, they are getting a trade exception on top of luer and needed to get under the cap. Gilbert has deep pockets and cavs want more picks. Works well for both parties.

zac
01-22-2013, 11:40 AM
And here's another reason this trade happened:

@CAGrizBlog: In addition to financial relief, Griz insider says hope is that this trade improves locker room morale and brings REAL offers for Rudy Gay

Teams know they aren't desperate to make a move.

InspiredLebowski
01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
And here's another reason this trade happened:

Teams know they aren't desperate to make a move.not now that they already made a desperate move anyway

PJR
01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
You aint contending for a title if you're scared to pay luxury tax. That simple.

So glad Micky Arison is the Heat's owner. :applause:

gasolina
01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Ellington
Crap. He's been good when called. Is Quincy back in the lineup? We need another shooter!

irondarts
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Damn, giving up two good role players and a promising young guard + a future first rounder for a guy who won't play and will be out of the NBA after his first contract is up. Crazy. I know it's purely a financial move but it's still a desperate and shitty trade for the Grizz.

brandonislegend
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Meh Quincy comes back soon and now DA will get more minutes (always a good thing) if the Grizzlies get Delonte West its a good deal for both teams now they get to keep their starting lineup once the playoffs start the rotations tighten anyway, they just gonna hope to actually be healthy for once.

StroShow4
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Losing organization.

AussieG
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Trading Pau for Kwame was crazy but look where they've been in the last 3 seasons.. even Pau for Marc alone was worth it.. let alone the other cap relief and filler they got.

longtime lurker
01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Losing organization.

This. why buy a team if you're not willing to spend?

NBA4EVER
01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
so Rudy Gay is staying in Memphis?

Kurosawa0
01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Keeps Cleveland's 2014 cap room, so not a bad deal. :D

NattyPButter
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Bandits...got away with highway robbery. Took a guy off the team that wasnt doing nothing but playing D league games. Well he also didn't get much of a chance.

Clifton
01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Cleveland would also receive a future first-round draft pick in the deal.
I hate professional sports.

I'm never watching NBA again.

Teams know they aren't desperate to make a move.
Dude, they gave away a first rounder. For nothing. In order to give some other team their bench and save them like, what, 8 mil? That does not announce a position of strength. And besides, if this is being reported, GMs are going to hear about it, so that negates the whole point.

DuMa
01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
wait a minute, lebron's daddy has a job again?

All Net
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Ellington too? damn

gasolina
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
8 mil
Maybe even more than that, they lose out on the tax distribution if they go over the luxury tax.

Not happy losing ellington but better than having to trade rudy gay for jared dudley.

Please please PLEASE everyone be healthy once the playoffs starts.

Kurosawa0
01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Ellington too? damn

Two legit players and a pick just take on negligible salary through next season? That's pretty damn good.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Wow Memphis gutted their already dry bench to avoid luxury. Speights and Ellington are important bench players and Selby has solid upside.

Grinder
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
The Cavs make out like bandits in this one but that's unsurprising in a salary dump. Speights and Ellington are excellent role players to have off the bench but not guys that rebuilding teams really need...wouldn't be surprised if other playoff teams are interested in acquiring those two. Selby is still young and has a lot of potential as a high scoring combo guard off the bench. I like his potential to play off both Irving and Waiters.

I'm glad to see Billy Walker's name mentioned again, I was just trying to find out where he was playing the other day. He can defend well and can knock down the 3 at a decent clip. Delonte West is a very good signing only IF his head's on straight.

The Grizz are also looking at the Aussie Joe Ingles, who I believe is a solid NBA rotation player. Micah Downs is another name being thrown around who I remember being a poor man's Chase Budinger in college...very athletic and can shoot it well but not many ball skills.

Kiddlovesnets
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Scrubs for scrubs.
:sleeping

All Net
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Two legit players and a pick just take on negligible salary through next season? That's pretty damn good.

Cavs are in a good place right now..

bagelred
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
So people think the new CBA was going to help small market teams? It's making it worse. Luxury Tax penalties are becoming so high there is NO WAY small market teams will go past it. No chance.

PleezeBelieve
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Cavs busted a fat nut in the Grizzle's mouth.

Man, they should have traded Z-Bo for a young, defensive big IMO

insidehoops
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Trade has been confirmed by the teams

The Memphis Grizzlies acquired forward Jon Leuer (LOO-er) and a trade exception from the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for forward/center Marreese Speights, guards Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby and a protected future first round draft pick, Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace announced today.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12159#ixzz2IjPYiLCp

zac
01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Grizzlies are signing Chris Johnson (the 6'6" Guard/Forward not the Center) from the D-leauge. They really liked him at the D-league showcase that Hollinger and them were all at.

jbryan1984
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
wow, nice pick up for us. I wonder who we cut? after the trade we have 16 guys on the roster so someone is going.

zac
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
wow, nice pick up for us. I wonder who we cut? after the trade we have 16 guys on the roster so someone is going.
Memphis is reporting they are cutting Pargo, which is funny.

jbryan1984
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Memphis is reporting they are cutting Pargo, which is funny.

Really? I would cut Selby.

zac
01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Really? I would cut Selby.
That would be a bad move. I've seen them both play a ton. Selby has talent Pargo couldn't dream of. He's not a PG though, he's an undersized SG. Lionel Hollins just hates playing inexperienced players.

DukeDelonte13
01-22-2013, 03:34 PM
So people think the new CBA was going to help small market teams? It's making it worse. Luxury Tax penalties are becoming so high there is NO WAY small market teams will go past it. No chance.

unless said small market team has an owner willing to spend.

senelcoolidge
Grizzlies will need that first round pick..they aren't going anywhere. Bleak future for that franchise.

RedBlackAttack
Our bench just went from probably the second worst in the league behind Portland to not too shabby with one stroke of the pen. Throw in the pick as another asset and I love what Chris Grant has done so far as GM.

This obviously makes sense from the Grizz's perspective, too, because now their salary situation is mended and it looks like they will be able to hold on to their big-time players, but I'm pretty ecstatic with this move.

I wonder if there is the possibility of Speights starting over Zeller? I know he did well in ZBo's stead last season and Zeller plays pretty well off the bench. Definitely gives the team more options.

Great move for the Cavs.

KyrieTheFuture
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Where was this Front Office when LeBron played here god damn. They are ****ing killing it.

R.I.P.
01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
So much for the idea that it would be easy to move Gay or Randolph. You sign a bad deal, you

brandonislegend
01-22-2013, 04:02 PM
CBA is trash

DukeDelonte13
01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
CBA is trash

:confusedshrug: The CBA didn't force the trade, the penny pinching owner did. Shows their ownership isn't committed to spending what it takes to build a contender.

RedBlackAttack
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
:confusedshrug: The CBA didn't force the trade, the penny pinching owner did. Shows their ownership isn't committed to spending what it takes to build a contender.
Exactly.

If you aren't willing to pay a hefty luxury tax, it is going to be hard to compete in this league.

longtime lurker
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM

Actually the repeater tax forced this. This is what happens when you have a CBA where the purpose was to screw over the Lakers and Heat

flipogb
01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
they gave away their bench to save money? lol that sucks

Xiao Yao You
01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Actually the repeater tax forced this. This is what happens when you have a CBA where the purpose was to screw over the Lakers and Heat

Yeah Lakers will be screwed with their billion dollar tv deal.

Memphis also gets close to a 5 mill trade exception which could net something pretty good. Could use next year. I'd wait and see how Memphis fills out their roster before I judged this.

zac
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah Lakers will be screwed with their billion dollar tv deal.

Memphis also gets close to a 5 mill trade exception which could net something pretty good. Could use next year. I'd wait and see how Memphis fills out their roster before I judged this.
They signed that Chris Johnson kid I mentioned earlier to a 10 day. He wanted a full season obviously but he settled for a 10 day contract. A 6'6" guy that can play SG/SF and shoots 42% from 3 in the d-league might be a decent flash in the pan guy. It's not like Ellington lit it up other than 2 games. I'm hearing anyone currently not on an NBA roster is in the mix but they really so want Sasha Vujacic but there would have to be a buyout. Apparently Bill Walker is out of shape and Delonte West has too many question marks so they'll just role with Wroten as back up PG and move Bayless to back up SG/PG sometimes. Quincy Pondexter coming back will help this team a ton. He is the teams best 3pt shooter and a defensive stopper off the bench and our back up SF.

irondarts
01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I wonder how protected the first rounder is? It's probably extremely protected, like Top 25 protected.

KyrieTheFuture
01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
I wonder how protected the first rounder is? It's probably extremely protected, like Top 25 protected.
In 2015 or 2016, if the Grizzlies' first-rounder falls between picks 6-14, the pick goes to the Cavs. Starting in 2017, if the Grizzlies' pick falls outside the top five, the Cavs then get the selection. In 2019, the pick becomes unprotected.