PDA

View Full Version : Scalebrine DESTROYS Boston's best street ballers

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/toucher-richs-scallenge-no-challenge-for-brian-scalabrine/

So remember that "Scallenge" Brian had? Where he said he got sick of people running their mouths and challenged the best of Boston to come play him 1 on 1? Well...

"Scalabrine — who spent the last few seasons of his career seen as the “human victory cigar” — easily defeated all four of his opponents, throwing down monstrous jams and sinking smooth jumpers as he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6."

http://www.cubbytees.com/ShirtPieces/WhiteMamba--ZM--BLK.jpg

ganja0710
01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Weren't there people on this forum saying they could beat the worst player in the league? I even heard somebody say they could take Toney Douglas. :oldlol: Take notes, kids.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Weren't there people on this forum saying they could beat the worst player in the league? I even heard somebody say they could take Toney Douglas. :oldlol: Take notes, kids.

It's very humbling for sure for people. Even if you played college ball... the lowest NBA players will push your shit in and demolish you.

SpecialQue
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Right here:

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285795

The dumbest thread I've ever seen on the internet.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Right here:

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285795

The dumbest thread I've ever seen on the internet.

:roll:

ballup
01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
There's a reason as to why he's the GOAT of basketball. :bowdown:

andgar923
01-22-2013, 05:32 PM
I tried watching some of that.

ZZZZZ

NattyPButter
01-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Is this a joke? All I saw was 3 middle aged white guys.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Is this a joke? All I saw was 3 middle aged white guys.

That was the 3 guys who hosted the event and that he beat 1 vs 3 for an 11-1 score. Not the guys he played 1 on 1. The younger guys were his opponents two of which played college ball.

fpliii
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Those are Boston's best street ballers? Damn...

Respect to Scal though.

ProfessorMurder
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Hilarious, and expected. Scal's no joke. In one of the last C's games he was color commenter on, Gorman called Scal a civilian and Scal took offense to it... Then he goes and shits on these real civilians.

LJJ
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Nice.

I don't know where the hell they got that second guy though? I can sort of see the others to do decent in a pickup game, but that second guy was god awful.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Nice.

I don't know where the hell they got that second guy though? I can sort of see the others to do decent in a pickup game, but that second guy was god awful.

Okay maybe not the best... but better than most of us on ISH probably (1st and 3rd guy). I read that two of them played college ball, including 1 at Syracuse so obviously they aren't that scrubby.

Rake2204
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
I just finished watching the first matchup. For those who didn't read or watch, Scalabrine's first opponent was Matt Tomaszewski, a 6'8'' walk-on at Syracuse last year. The game was to 11 with a 10 second shot clock and stoppage in play after each shot. Both Matt and Scalabrine seemed to leave a lot of shots out there. Tomaszewski looked kind of awkward at times, then not bad at others (ex: air balled some good looks, then drilled a few lefty hooks). Scalabrine didn't exactly dominate, but then again, the other guy was 6'8'', so regardless of his skill, it's a moderate sized body for Scal to work against.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
I just finished watching the first matchup. For those who didn't read or watch, Scalabrine's first opponent was Matt Tomaszewski, a 6'8'' walk-on at Syracuse last year. The game was to 11 with a 10 second shot clock and stoppage in play after each shot. Both Matt and Scalabrine seemed to leave a lot of shots out there. Tomaszewski looked kind of awkward at times, then not bad at others (ex: air balled some good looks, then drilled a few lefty hooks). Scalabrine didn't exactly dominate, but then again, the other guy was 6'8'', so regardless of his skill, it's a moderate sized body for Scal to work against.

I wonder if we took the best college players and put them against the role players of the NBA though? Now THAT one I think a lot of the college players would win.

Rake2204
01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I wonder if we took the best college players and put them against the role players of the NBA though? Now THAT one I think a lot of the college players would win.Definitely. The first video is a great example of how one-on-one works. I think we could all comfortably say Brian Scalabrine was way, way better at the game of basketball than the Syracuse walk-on. However, if Scalabrine shot as cold as he did while Matt got unusually hot, we could have been looking at a different outcome, but it wouldn't have changed a thing in terms of how good Brian is in comparison to that guy.

One-on-one is a very limited scope of things. Even if you're normally a great player, if you miss a few shots you normally make and your opponent is at least not the worst player ever in comparison to you, it could spell trouble.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Definitely. The first video is a great example of how one-on-one works. I think we could all comfortably say Brian Scalabrine was way, way better at the game of basketball than the Syracuse walk-on. However, if Scalabrine shot as cold as he did while Matt got unusually hot, we could have been looking at a different outcome, but it wouldn't have changed a thing in terms of how good Brian is in comparison to that guy. One-on-one is a very limited scope of things.

Agreed. In other words 1 on 1 doesn't mean shit in a 5 on 5 sport. I guess it's more satisfying to beat them up 1 on 1 though to a guy getting trolled on Twitter.

Ken_Masters
01-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I consider myself a very good one on one player, and when playing a game of 21 i usually win or come close to winning. However, in a game of 5 on 5 i'm terrible. I don't know how to play with others, and i never take over and lead my team to wins. This is why i have more appreciation for guys who can dominate in a 5 on 5 because it takes more effort to play well individually while also leading your team to a win.

Rake2204
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Nice.

I don't know where the hell they got that second guy though? I can sort of see the others to do decent in a pickup game, but that second guy was god awful.I surely didn't mistake the second guy for a college basketball player, but it didn't look like he was a stranger to the game of basketball though. He's not going to be the king of any high level street courts, but I thought he might be a solid representation of the "everyman" out there: the guy who plays ball a lot, stands about 6'4''ish and has some skills but is not elite.

I thought he best represented the issues the very vast majority of us would all be facing if we were to have a one-on-one showdown with Brian Scalabrine. For starters, it looked like the 2nd guy came to the realization right off the bat that his opponent (Scalabrine) was 6'9'' 250. Right away that'd be one of the top 5 largest players I've ever competed against in my life, likely the same for Jake (the 2nd guy). As such, I think that guy realized he wasn't going to be able to overpower Scal en route to the basket. Further, Brian surely isn't slow on his feet in comparison to normal folk. As a result, that second fellow seemed to settle for a lot of jumpers, which also seemed rushed. My guess is he was not used to trying to shoot over a 6'9'' NBA player and was worried he would have his jumper blocked if he didn't rush.

The bigger issue was defense, in my opinion. I'm 6'4'' 170, so I could see myself in this guy just in terms of defense. What would I do with someone like Brian Scalabrine standing on the arc in triple threat? If I give him even minimal space, he'll rise and pull - just as he did with Jake. But the minute I closed space off enough to not allow him to shoot over my small frame, he'd only need a half a step in order to put himself in position to just lower his shoulder, shield me off, and finish at the rim with a minimally contested layup.

Size alone would be the biggest quandary for 99% of the folks who'd want to face Brian Scalabrine in one-on-one.

Rake2204
01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Separately, the third opponent didn't seem to do a bad job. He apparently played minor league ball overseas and had a D-League tryout but did not make it through. Again though, he was 6'2'', so he was in trouble from the start, though he played Scalabrine tough, pushing Scal on defense like he was an offensive lineman. The issue again though, was the height and weight advantage. Both players seemed to miss their first five shots a piece, but Brian always had the ability to shoot over the top when he wanted.

I think I personally would have struggled with two things: the NBA three-point line and the 10-second shot clock. You could see a lot of times where players would probably just pull back out and reset if they were playing a normal game of one-on-one or 21, but had to resort to firing a desperation fallaway to beat the clock. Then again, Scalabrine had that same shot clock so all is fair.

And in terms of NBA threes, I've never had a reason to fire them except for rare occasions, and that seemed true for these guys as well. Whereas normally I have a defender guarding me at the high school or college line, being guarded at the NBA stripe by a 6'9'' guy with good feet would be double trouble, because I wouldn't be a consistent threat out there, thus allowing the defender to sag as he pleased.

kNicKz
01-22-2013, 06:58 PM
I said this would happen and received like 8 negs

kNicKz
01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.

Scalabrine didn't exactly dominate

:biggums:

Rake2204
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
:biggums:I was referring only to his first matchup when I made the "He didn't exactly dominate" remark. Yes, he won by a large margin (11-3) but it was more of a grind than it was a dominant display of power. He muscled home his first five shots, but then missed seven of his next ten. Scalabrine was unquestionably the better player, but he didn't make that first matchup look like a cake walk.

On the flip side, I thought his first opponent had some tough luck misses out there and resorted to the step back NBA three way too much (half of his shots were NBA threes). Then again, he made a couple of tough ones, so I guess it evens out.

I think the other games went pretty quickly by comparison. The third matchup started off pretty roughly (and the 4th as well, I think) but Scalabrine was able to find a groove in short order. He missed five of his first six shots in game 3, then hit 8 of his next 10 to win.

ZaaaaaH
01-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Great Post bra !

White Mamaba For Sure :bowdown:

Euroleague
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
All that video did was show how bad Scalabrine is. Those guys he played against would be mediocre players at any decent park.

Derka
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Was listening to Toucher and Rich this morning and they said the combined score was 55-7. I think he played another warm-up game before he took the 3v1 and the three 1v1's.

Either way, Scal ruined those dudes.

The Choken One
01-22-2013, 09:03 PM
That thread was hilarious. No one on this site would even score a basket against anyone in the NBA. LOL @ retards who actually think different.

Rake2204
01-22-2013, 09:05 PM
That thread was hilarious. No one on this site would even score a basket against anyone in the NBA. LOL @ retards who actually think different.I trust most folks would be dismantled like the second guy in the video. However, every squirrel finds a nut, so I do not believe everyone would go scoreless.

The Choken One
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
I trust most folks would be dismantled like the second guy in the video. However, every squirrel finds a nut, so I do not believe everyone would go scoreless.
Good point. A KAJ pray hook would fall every once in a while. :D

Calabis
01-22-2013, 09:23 PM
You should here this mf'er I know. Although he was a good ball player in his day, he really believes Kobe and MJ could not guard him:roll: He said he would be too quick for them. My reply, mf'er you ain't ever seen a 6'6 dude with that type of ability and I'm pretty damn sure you are not quicker than either of them. I said if you were that good, then you should just go shit on everyone right now. But then his excuses start rolling :facepalm

strifed169
01-22-2013, 09:35 PM
props to Scal for doing this, not only did he have his own rep on the line but pro baller's as well, which is why we don't see many of these am I right?

iamgine
01-22-2013, 09:42 PM
The reason he dominated is because of his strength and length. That's why the best 1 on 1 players are mobile big guys. KAJ, Shaq, Hakeem, Yao would dominate the likes of MJ, Kobe, Iverson, Wade. Simply because it's too easy to just post them up all day.

kNicKz
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
It should also be brought up that scal is retired and in his mid 30's while these dudes looked like they were in their early to mid twenties. How do you think a 26 year old NBA active scal would look in this challenge?

reppy
01-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I played some church pick-up ball games against a dude that played semi-pro in Europe.

Guy was huge and had handles of a PG compared to the rest of us. I would whack him as hard as I could when he was going up for layups and it wouldn't even phase him. To make it even worse, he would just play on when I called "foul!" even when my team got the rebound.

The scary thing was I also got the feeling he was only playing at about 25% intensity. He really scaled it back. He'd be just goofing off drilling 3 pointers from 5 feet back.

I can only imagine going up against a guy like Scal that has real NBA experience.

Pushxx
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
People don't realize it's all about strength.

Mr. Jabbar
01-23-2013, 12:09 AM
those dudes should not be ashamed, they lost to the best :bowdown: #whitemamba

Supersonics33
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Seeing as how this involves Kobe, I'm sure most ISH members have seen this one on one video. I know it's Bow Wow, but just look at how tired he gets just trying to hold some kind of ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDh2U1hVrw

red1
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
atta boy scal

Rake2204
01-23-2013, 12:59 AM
props to Scal for doing this, not only did he have his own rep on the line but pro baller's as well, which is why we don't see many of these am I right?Truth. I was actually wondering what Scalabrine was thinking throughout. I wonder if he was at all worried the 6'8'' fellow might be able to make a match of things. Similarly, it looked like he was worn down a little bit by the fourth game (and rightfully so). He got blocked and fell behind early, I wonder if there was even a trace of doubt at that point.

And you're right, I believe most players would not engage in something like this because it's very high risk and low reward.

gigantes
01-23-2013, 02:10 AM
didn't watch the 3rd guy, but i would have to think that a lot of small PG's here and there would be able to routinely get to the hoop against scallops. especially if they had a solid long-range jumper.

not a knock against scallops... but he, and even average NBA big men would be at a natural foot-speed disadvantage against some of these lightning-quick guys we've all seen and played against from time to time...

Rake2204
01-23-2013, 02:17 AM
didn't watch the 3rd guy, but i would have to think that a lot of small PG's here and there would be able to routinely get to the hoop against scallops. especially if they had a solid long-range jumper.

not a knock against scallops... but he, and even average NBA big men would be at a natural foot-speed disadvantage against some of these lightning-quick guys we've all seen and played against from time to time...The issue with the third guy (and some of the others) was there just wasn't enough room to create separation between themselves and Scalabrine on their way to the rim from the top of the key in under 10 seconds. Like you said, quicker guys with real jump shots (and range out to the NBA three and beyond) would have a lot better luck, but that's kind of hard to come by.

Even for the "quick" guys in the Scalabrine contest, Brian was always able to compensate for his lack of quicks with solid angles and enough size to body up and recover by the time his opponent reached the rim. No one seemed to have an NBA three ball he really, really had to respect, so he was able to give himself a lot of breathing room to begin with in terms of the space between him and his amateur opponents.

gigantes
01-23-2013, 02:35 AM
The issue with the third guy (and some of the others) was there just wasn't enough room to create separation between themselves and Scalabrine on their way to the rim from the top of the key in under 10 seconds. Like you said, quicker guys with real jump shots (and range out to the NBA three and beyond) would have a lot better luck, but that's kind of hard to come by.

Even for the "quick" guys in the Scalabrine contest, Brian was always able to compensate for his lack of quicks with solid angles and enough size to body up and recover by the time his opponent reached the rim. No one seemed to have an NBA three ball he really, really had to respect, so he was able to give himself a lot of breathing room to begin with in terms of the space between him and his amateur opponents.
hmm... well, wouldn't you think that quick small guys with solid reverses would be able to exploit the size advantage, even given the court limitation? i mean, if you can get ahead of someone with long arms, you can at least use the basket to protect your reverse layup. there's at least some good chances, i'm thinking...

what if the mid-sized guys who won the right to face scallops wound up knocking off the pocket rockets who could have otherwise gone to the final three spots? you know what i mean? maybe those guys would have fared better than the mid-sized guys, even though the mid-sized guys had just the right limit to their heights to stay with the little guys on D and could then have abused them everywhere else...

bdreason
01-23-2013, 02:47 AM
:roll: @ the people who think they can hang with even the scrubbiest of NBA players.

Rake2204
01-23-2013, 02:48 AM
hmm... well, wouldn't you think that quick small guys with solid reverses would be able to exploit the size advantage, even given the court limitation? i mean, if you can get ahead of someone with long arms, you can at least use the basket to protect your reverse layup. there's at least some good chances, i'm thinking...

what if the mid-sized guys who won the right to face scallops wound up knocking off the pocket rockets who could have otherwise gone to the final three spots? you know what i mean? maybe those guys would have fared better than the mid-sized guys, even though the mid-sized guys had just the right limit to their heights to stay with the little guys on D and could then have abused them everywhere else...Yeah I feel what you're saying. I'd recommend you take a look at the third matchup just for the sake of seeing how that particular player fared. The little fellow had some opportunities but did not capitalize and one of them actually was a reverse layup attempt. There were also times where he seemed to make really solid moves but just couldn't deal with the size and length of Scalabrine.

Brian seemed to be protecting the paint first and foremost. Then when players recognized this and attempted step-backs, Scalabrine was often adept and sized well enough to still get out and strongly contest or block the shot. He seemed willing to allow opponents to take NBA threes. He'd still contest them, he just preferred to be in a position that left him about a step and a half from the hoop at all times which, again, created a situation where he'd be able to meet just about anyone at the hoop unless he literally had his ankles snapped off. And in those meetings at the rim, even on reverse attempts, it's going to be tough for a 6'2'' guy (or less) to finish with a 6'9'' 250 pound fellow on your hip or back.

iamgine
01-23-2013, 02:57 AM
The smaller guys would be able to get half open jumpers for sure but that's no match for the big guys taking them to the post all day. Not to mention the mental aspect of getting dunked on and the stamina drain from getting post up all day long. Those would mess up your shots.

gigantes
01-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Yeah I feel what you're saying. I'd recommend you take a look at the third matchup just for the sake of seeing how that particular player fared. The little fellow had some opportunities but did not capitalize and one of them actually was a reverse layup attempt. There were also times where he seemed to make really solid moves but just couldn't deal with the size and length of Scalabrine.

Brian seemed to be protecting the paint first and foremost. Then when players recognized this and attempted step-backs, Scalabrine was often adept and sized well enough to still get out and strongly contest or block the shot. He seemed willing to allow opponents to take NBA threes. He'd still contest them, he just preferred to be in a position that left him about a step and a half from the hoop at all times which, again, created a situation where he'd be able to meet just about anyone at the hoop unless he literally had his ankles snapped off. And in those meetings at the rim, even on reverse attempts, it's going to be tough for a 6'2'' guy (or less) to finish with a 6'9'' 250 pound fellow on your hip or back.
i'll take a look after posting this.

and i know you're right. whether 100% right or 99% right, that's the part i'm trying to figure out. :P

re: bolded,
it's tough, but then, that's what always has to be a specialty of little guys. based on what i saw, pocket rockets would be able to reliably create at least separation-enough for a reverse, including enough room to take the shot without having to worry about getting blocked.

but i don't know... maybe scallops is even faster than i realised, and it's not clear on the video because that's the way these things often work when it comes to sports. :/

jdm_dc_fan
01-23-2013, 03:37 AM
I saw the video on my celtic app. Am i missing something or did scal just beat 3 guys who play like the guys no one wants to pick up at the YMCA?

Was there actually d1 d2 players there?

bdreason
01-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Finally watched the video. That was retired Scal playing at about 50%. His competition wasn't anything special, but they also played losers outs. I think the shot clock actually helps the inferior and/or smaller player... because without it, Scal could just take his time backing down for layups every possession.

zass
01-23-2013, 04:24 AM
30min version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOw8aC78LoU

7min version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvOFd22Vuw

Da KO King
01-23-2013, 08:02 AM
It was designed to have Scalabrine win.

There was a 10 second shot clock and if you miss your shot possession changes, that way Scal doesn't get tired.

There were no fouls being called that way Scal could be as physical as he wanted and bother any shot you took cause all he needed was a miss. It also benefited his offense because he could just play "bully ball" and get a basket.

Then you have to look at his opponents. Matt Tomaszewski played two unimpressive years at the JuCo level then went to Syracuse as an "uninvited" walk-on. 6'8" with no athleticism, no handle, no physicality, and only hits jumpers with his feet set.

Next was 19yo HS prospect Jake Faye. Faye is comitted to go to Fordham next year. People have called Faye over-rated saying they he is NOT one of the top 80 players in the New England area as ESPN has him ranked.

Then was a 6'2" former Division 2 player and a 6'5" nobody. Oh, and by the way, none of these guys are from the city of Boston. All are from surrounding suburbs.

I'm not impressed. If he plays the actual best that Boston has then I'll care.

PistolPete44
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM

There was a 10 second shot clock and if you miss your shot possession changes, that way Scal doesn't get tired.

There were no fouls being called that way Scal could be as physical as he wanted and bother any shot you took cause all he needed was a miss. It also benefited his offense because he could just play "bully ball" and get a basket.

Then you have to look at his opponents. Matt Tomaszewski played two unimpressive years at the JuCo level then went to Syracuse as an "uninvited" walk-on. 6'8" with no athleticism, no handle, no physicality, and only hits jumpers with his feet set.

Next was 19yo HS prospect Jake Faye. Faye is comitted to go to Fordham next year. People have called Faye over-rated saying they he is NOT one of the top 80 players in the New England area as ESPN has him ranked.

Then was a 6'2" former Division 2 player and a 6'5" nobody. Oh, and by the way, none of these guys are from the city of Boston. All are from surrounding suburbs.

Big talk idiot

icewill36
01-23-2013, 09:40 AM

agree with post... rules definitely favored scal

also, im not from boston, but no way can those be their best ballers LMAO

PP34Deuce
01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
The game proves nba bench players will win over average playground player. Scalabrine had to check pierce n kg in practices...

Length and strength can negate quickness because balance is hust as inportant going to the basket.

He also can shoot 3 better than most bench players. And he was goin at 60%.

Chad44
01-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Not impressed.

Rolando
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
It was good PR for Scal. I am sure they may have been able to find better ballers but it is what it is. Scalabrine deserves props for doing this.

01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
People get the wrong idea about benchwarmers in the NBA (or any other sports).

They don't know hard it is to make a team alone.

these guys who challenged Scal and who got their ass handed to them are delusional.

Nick Young
01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Scalabrine was a superstar first option at USC, he was all pac-10 first team and scored 17 ppg on 53% and shot 40% from 3.

Only the very best players make the NBA, Dan Dickau was a star in college, and Dee Brown, Mateen Cleaves and Chris Douglas Roberts who were elite college players can't even make it in the NBA as 15th men.

It doesn't matter who the best streetballers in Boston are because they wouldn't be able to take on even old man out of shape Scalabrine who had a long NBA career and was a star in NCAA D1 former all-pac 10 team.

Even if there is some young phenom in boston projected to be in the NBA, Scalabrine would beat him because of years of NBA experience, and also for the fact that despite being considered unathletic in the NBA he would basically be Lebron James if he went into NCAA to play ball right now for Duke or something.

Even current old man Dan Dickau if he keeps himself in decent shape could probably go to Rucker Park and start raining buckets and shitting on people, these NBA players are truly at another level.

Rake2204
01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Scalabrine was a superstar first option at USC, he was all pac-10 first team and scored 17 ppg on 53% and shot 40% from 3.

Only the very best players make the NBA, Dan Dickau was a star in college, and Dee Brown, Mateen Cleaves and Chris Douglas Roberts who were elite college players can't even make it in the NBA as 15th men.

It doesn't matter who the best streetballers in Boston are because they wouldn't be able to take on even old man out of shape Scalabrine who had a long NBA career and was a star in NCAA D1 former all-pac 10 team.

Even if there is some young phenom in boston projected to be in the NBA, Scalabrine would beat him because of years of NBA experience, and also for the fact that despite being considered unathletic in the NBA he would basically be Lebron James if he went into NCAA to play ball right now for Duke or something.

Even current old man Dan Dickau if he keeps himself in decent shape could probably go to Rucker Park and start raining buckets and shitting on people, these NBA players are truly at another level.I agree with a lot of what you say but not all of it. For instance, I think a Boston phenom projected to be in the NBA really would have a very good chance of defeating Brian Scalabrine in a game of one-on-one. I say this because, as I mentioned before, one-on-one tends to blur the line between great all around players and those with mere one-on-one skills.

Scalabrine has tons of outstanding NBA experience, but in one-on-one, he's not necessarily going to be able to showcase his ability to run the floor, get back on defense, pick up his assignment, slip screen, and hit the open man. We saw a few pickup games where Scalabrine hit cold stretches, missing 7 out of 10 shots in one burst I tracked. If he did that against a 6'6'' high school senior phenom with range projected to go the NBA, I think it could have spelled trouble.

Also, I think you were exaggerating for effect but I don't believe Brian Scalabrine would be like LeBron James if he were to play for Duke right now. Instead, I think he'd be Super Scal. By that I mean, he'd still play like the Brian Scalabrine we all know and love, but he'd be a lot more refined than he was during his first trip through college. Of course, he also wouldn't be quite as young and spry as his early 20's self.

Funnyfuka
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
funny vid, but...so many travels on scal part, it was hilarious. Also the two white guys were complete clowns, not a real challenge. Scal played them all in a row so had less time to recover tho, he s quite in shape for such a big, retired, fat slob.

AussieG
01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
He's not even an active player anymore.. and he had to play them all back to back? Never been a Scalab fan.. but it's just common sense that in any elite league in the world.. like the NBA, or NFL or F1 or NASCAR or FIFA or whatever else.. every single person who ever makes it.. can destroy ordinary citizens or non pros.

For the NBA players that don't make it.. it's not that they can't play.. it's just that their niche doesn't fit with what teams want or need in the league. If you are an short PG.. you need to be quick. If you are tall, you either need to be well rounded or have a niche like rebounding or blocking or have good basketball IQ. All of them need discipline and need to be able to cope with the NBA life.. which is hard in of itself.

All of the ones that don't make it.. they are still ridiculously good basketball players.

stevieming
01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Not doubting Scal's one on one skills, but the second guy fails at one on one.

You always, I repeat always want to start as close as you can, and with the triple threat position. The guy doesn't do any of that, he starts off 3 foot behind the three point line and dribbles straight away.

When you do that it makes it easier for the defender to check you and expend less energy straight away, as they don't have to watch out for the pump fake or the jab step.

Scal always start off at the three, adds a couple of pumps and jab steps...

Go watch a couple of Kobe one on ones, exactly the same thing. Never dribbles 3 foot behind the three.

Nick Young
01-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Last year Scalebrine was shooting 70% FG and 66% from 3 in the Italian league playing against professional ballers from all over the world.

Guys like Dee Brown who were elite in college go to Europe and don't dominate all the time.

I have no doubt that an in shape current Scalabrine could go to Duke and become one of the top players in NCAA and probably lead them to the national title.

kaiteng
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Go watch a couple of Kobe one on ones, exactly the same thing. Never dribbles 3 foot behind the three.
That's why he is "THE WHITE MAMBA"!!

Rake2204
01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Last year Scalebrine was shooting 70% FG and 66% from 3 in the Italian league playing against professional ballers from all over the world.

Guys like Dee Brown who were elite in college go to Europe and don't dominate all the time.

I have no doubt that an in shape current Scalabrine could go to Duke and become one of the top players in NCAA and probably lead them to the national title.Oh no doubt. Scalabrine was one of the top players in the NCAA when he was originally in the NCAA. I was just saying he wouldn't suddenly become LeBron James, throwing no-look dimes, catching alley-oop passes thrown to the rafters, and speeding past everyone on the court. He'd still be Scalabrine, playing a Scalabrine game, and it would be very good.

crisoner
01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Awwww yeah best story I heard all day!

chosen_one6
01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
It amazes me how people think they could beat a NBA bench player in one on one. These guys have tons of experience playing against the best in the world and they get the best coaching and training. You'd be a fool to think you could best them, whether they're a small guard or a big man.

kNicKz
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
The smaller guys would be able to get half open jumpers for sure but that's no match for the big guys taking them to the post all day. Not to mention the mental aspect of getting dunked on and the stamina drain from getting post up all day long. Those would mess up your shots.

"but......but.......in 2k the point guard always strips the center!!!"