PDA

View Full Version : Yea **** I said it, Durant probably gonna endup being better offensive player than MJ

Derivative
01-23-2013, 01:45 AM
**** yea I said it

Durant has the most invincible jumpshot I've ever seen, even though MJ probably has the best midrange game ever, Durant has that along with a invincible 3 point shot

add that to his 6'11 frame, and his INSANELY good handles for a player that big

together with his youth....

Yea Durant will end up being a better offensive player than MJ, i said it

Money 23
01-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Stop, just stop. He's going to be a more skilled, versatile, tougher, better defending American version of Dirk Nowitzki.

No MJ, though.

ShaqAttack3234
01-23-2013, 01:47 AM
I don't care what you've said, he does not have the ability MJ did. Jordan was the ultimate badass of basketball. He could do essentially what he wanted, Durant can't. Durant is damn good, better than I thought, but I've seen better, and he sure as hell ain't ****ing Jordan.

TheMarkMadsen
01-23-2013, 01:47 AM
So it's not just when you're making Kobe threads that you're a terrible poster.

Got it

Ancient Legend
01-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Offensively, he might equal his output and efficiency, but he doesn't have the wide variety of post moves and footwork MJ had (yet).

Defensively I don't think he'll be that great. At this point in time Jordan had already won a DPOY.

gengiskhan
01-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Stop, just stop. He's going to be a more skilled, versatile, tougher, better defending American version of Dirk Nowitzki.

No MJ, though.

There are tons of fetuses lurk around ISH.

Durant will be just that Durant, a considerable better version of what prime peak Kobe should've been, what prime peak Wade should've been.

Jordan got 37.1/5/5
Jordan got 35.0/5/5 with steals title
Jordan got 32.5/8/8 with steals title

those are absolutely insane stats. something durant will never ever come close to.

Mr. Jabbar
01-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Lol, Durant doesn't have 1/10th of the capacity Jordan had for breaking ankles, he didn't even need that length to find himself open looks.

Derivative
01-23-2013, 01:54 AM
There are tons of fetuses lurk around ISH.

Durant will be just that Durant, a considerable better version of what prime peak Kobe should've been, what prime peak Wade should've been.

Jordan got 37.1/5/5
Jordan got 35.0/5/5 with steals title
Jordan got 32.5/8/8 with steals title

those are absolutely insane stats. something durant will never ever come close to.

games were played at a higher pace back then, and league wide FG% was higher, so of course MJ's scoring number will be higher.

Durant is only 24, he still has time to drastically improve his defense and passing

Money 23
01-23-2013, 01:54 AM
No, Durant's offensive game is most akin to Dirk. Even the way he gets his in the flow of the game is similar.

Except his handle is LIGHT YEARS better.

FKAri
01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
If he demonstrates in the playoffs this year and for years to come that he is truly unstoppable and there's nothing you can do than he could have an argument. But so far he hasn't. The way Marion shut him down in 2011 really shocked me.

gengiskhan
01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
games were played at a higher pace back then, and league wide FG% was higher, so of course MJ's scoring number will be higher.

Durant is only 24, he still has time to drastically improve his defense and passing

Physical D was played back than. means more half court than transition game like today.

Late '80s players were just better skilled. plain & simple. made that extra pass. worked much harder than today's players to get better position to get best shot possible.

these things cannot be measured but thats how Bball was played. on "STRICT FUNDAMENTALS" without much flashes of today till the all-star weekend.

Durant still wont ave more than 30ppg in '80s.

bdreason
01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Only 4 more consecutive scoring titles, 6 more NBA Championships, 6 more MVP's, and 6 more Finals MVP's... and he'll be there!

longtime lurker
01-23-2013, 02:00 AM
So it's not just when you're making Kobe threads that you're a terrible poster.

Got it

Don't know why but that made me burst out laughing. And yeah the OP is a dumb ****. Durant will be great but he's not on that level.

BrickingStar
01-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Not sure his legacy will ever reach MJ after losing to lebron consecutively many Finals

ihoopallday
01-23-2013, 02:02 AM
MJ wouldn't have pulled off that finals performance last year.

Michael Jordan
Everyone else

Just accept it already

Money 23
01-23-2013, 02:02 AM
Not sure his legacy will ever reach MJ after losing to lebron consecutively many Finals
Durant's rookie Finals > Kobe, Bron

He actually played fairly well, IMO

chazzy
01-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Derivative vs gengiskhan :bowdown:

imnew09
01-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Mj doesn't swing his arms around and hope for fouls...

BuffaloBill
OP you done goofed. Never say anybody is better than MJ at anything on ISH. Have you lost your mind?

BrickingStar
Durant's rookie Finals > Kobe, Bron

He actually played fairly well, IMO
Add MJ as well what he did at 23 is better than what mj did at 28. Also I want to see what lebron does with that team instead of the cavs.

TheMarkMadsen
Derivative vs gengiskhan :bowdown:

:roll:

chazzy
01-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Physical D was played back than. means more half court than transition game like today.

Late '80s players were just better skilled. plain & simple. made that extra pass. worked much harder than today's players to get better position to get best shot possible.

these things cannot be measured but thats how Bball was played. on "STRICT FUNDAMENTALS" without much flashes of today till the all-star weekend.

Durant still wont ave more than 30ppg in '80s.
80s? Teams ran. There's no reason why Durant couldn't drop 30 in the 80s.. look at the top scorers every year

STATUTORY
01-23-2013, 02:07 AM
durant's gonna have the worst highlight of any superstar scorer in league history

it's gonna look like a free throw instructional video, even when he's not shooting free throws

Money 23
01-23-2013, 02:08 AM
it's gonna look like a free throw instructional video, even when he's not shooting free throws
This too.

Mr. Jabbar
01-23-2013, 02:09 AM
durant's gonna have the worst highlight of any superstar scorer in league history

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-23-2013, 02:10 AM
KD is a better shooter; a MORE complete offensive player, though? No way.

gengiskhan
01-23-2013, 02:10 AM
80s? Teams ran. There's no reason why Durant couldn't drop 30 in the 80s.. look at the top scorers every year

Just wont. 25-26 ppg is realistic for Durant. 30 ppg wont happen. You need to be built like 'Nique or Clyde. muscular & quick with ability to withstand physical assault.

wiery durant will be falling a lot off those physical plays. Every team played physical back then. Best scorer was often thrashed to the floor as making a statement by opposition.

Durant cannot take that beating. taking more rest. loosing playing time.

all that adds up to 25 ppg which is still brilliant late '80s wise.

Micku
01-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Durant's a great scorer, and he is having one great season on efficiency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only Bird did what Durant is doing right now? Above 29 ppg on 50, 40, 90. That's really impressive. And no one can guard him in the league today. Maybe LeBron, but Durant could score on him too.

The way he is scoring is impressive too. He could score anywhere on the floor, could post up for the copy dirk fadeaway, and take you off the dribble to drive.

Jordan is more skilled and probably is the better midrange jumper in his prime, but Durant is the better shooter.

Their overall offensive production tho is a close one. While Jordan is the better passer, Durant is more efficient with his scoring ability, and Durant could pass just not as well as Jordan. Jordan scored a lot more points and was more a volume scorer with efficiency too. Both play within the flow of the game, and seem to take over when it's time to while not breaking the offense entirely.

We'll have to see if Durant can keep this up.

juju151111
01-23-2013, 02:12 AM

:lol :lol Goat line at the end

ZaaaaaH
Yea **** I said it, Derivative probably gonna endup being better ******* whore then MJ

RoundMoundOfReb
Not a better offensive player - better scorer maybe. He's not a better offensive player than Lebron either.

KG215
01-23-2013, 02:13 AM
No...just no. And I'm a huge Durant fan.

However, I do think he has the ability to finish his career considered the second greatest perimeter scorer of all-time behind Jordan. Not offensive player, but scorer.

PistolPete44
01-23-2013, 02:13 AM
that 52 point game was lame as hell though
only 13 field goals, the highlight was stupid

RoundMoundOfReb
01-23-2013, 02:14 AM

However, I do think he has the ability to finish his career considered the second greatest perimeter scorer of all-time behind Jordan. Not offensive player, but scorer.
:applause:

Money 23
01-23-2013, 02:15 AM
KD is a better shooter; a MORE complete offensive player, though? No way.
A better shooter, that's all. You can tell certain fans on ISH don't understand the fundamental difference between shooter and scorer. Bird was a better shooter than Mike too, I wouldn't call him a better scorer.

No way, no how is Durant the better scorer. And like it's insinuated, he's babied by the league because of how meek he is ...

Can you imagine this dude going up against Riley's Knicks? He would get BODIED like no tomorrow by Oak and Mason.

He'd be crying out there like he did to momma after he lost in the Finals. That long game works in this league where you can't touch folks, but when this game was a SPORT and not a mass marketed, fantasy sports, highlight factory for ESPN.

You could touch people. Which means his scrawny ass would have use his frame to play efficient basketball for a 6'11 dude, IE in the post. His first step is too slow with hand check to do what he's doing in this league.

Catch and shoot he's impressive though. MJ had that skill though. That's something even Bron and Kobe don't have. The ability to score quickly and efficiently off a pass.

MJ on the other hand has all the footwork, post game, off the dribble skills ... including a LIGHTNING fast penetration ability, monster hands, strong finisher, creative elusive finisher.

Take you off the dribble, or give you that jumper. MJ is clearly the better ISO and team framework scorer. He was a SG who averaged 30+ in the triangle, rarely if ever selfishly breaking the team offense to get his.

Derivative
01-23-2013, 02:15 AM
its funny how kobe fans are standing up for MJ when compared to durant

BrickingStar
01-23-2013, 02:16 AM
He not even a better offensive player than Lebron. He could have a chance as a better scorer than MJ but not offensive player.

chazzy
Just wont. 25-26 ppg is realistic for Durant. 30 ppg wont happen. You need to be built like 'Nique or Clyde. muscular & quick with ability to withstand physical assault.

wiery durant will be falling a lot off those physical plays. Every team played physical back then. Best scorer was often thrashed to the floor as making a statement by opposition.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k23QvovYTVU/Tjxvi6X-SqI/AAAAAAAAMsc/Tz-1Pg9WxpQ/s1600/George-Gervin-620x480.jpg
hush

Pointguard
OFFENSIVELY, its not crazy to say that. He can be super efficient, will probably have the greatest range in the game, no handle limitations, he's super long, he will get stronger, there is no match-up that's conceivable of stopping him, and his catch and shoot is incomparable. He might have 8 scoring titles and six years of 50/40/90. The only guys capable of slowing him down are usually four inches shorter. Jordan was a great perimeter defender and I just can't see him affecting Durant. While I don't see anybody guarding Jordan either, Durant is just more deadly from 3 point land.

RoundMoundOfReb
01-23-2013, 02:19 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k23QvovYTVU/Tjxvi6X-SqI/AAAAAAAAMsc/Tz-1Pg9WxpQ/s1600/George-Gervin-620x480.jpg
hush

pace was much higher then.

Micku
01-23-2013, 02:20 AM

Durant is the better shooter and a better FT shooter than both of them. And back then, they didn't guard the long ball as much as they do now except for special cases. Durant shooting would shock them and the ability to take you off the dribble. He would definitely average 28-30 ppg if he wanted to. He is too lengthy to guard. He could go down as one of the NBA's best shooters in history at this rate.

The only thing he would have trouble with would if Durant goes inside where the bigs and others would give him a hard foul.

But most superstars could dominate in any era. Durant has the shooting touch to do so.

Collie
MJ's CAREER average is the same as Durant's highest scoring season. Might as well say Adrian Dantely was a better scorer than MJ, or Gervin since he was more efficient.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
A better shooter, that's all. You can tell certain fans on ISH don't understand the fundamental difference between shooter and scorer. Bird was a better shooter than Mike too, I wouldn't call him a better scorer.

No way, no how is Durant the better scorer. And like it's insinuated, he's babied by the league because of how meek he is ...

Can you imagine this dude going up against Riley's Knicks? He would get BODIED like no tomorrow by Oak and Mason.

He'd be crying out there like he did to momma after he lost in the Finals. That long game works in this league where you can't touch folks, but when this game was a SPORT and not a mass marketed, fantasy sports, highlight factory for ESPN.

You could touch people. Which means his scrawny ass would have use his frame to play efficient basketball for a 6'11 dude, IE in the post. His first step is too slow with hand check to do what he's doing in this league.

Catch and shoot he's impressive though. MJ had that skill though. That's something even Bron and Kobe don't have. The ability to score quickly and efficiently off a pass.

MJ on the other hand has all the footwork, post game, off the dribble skills ... including a LIGHTNING fast penetration ability, monster hands, strong finisher, creative elusive finisher.

Take you off the dribble, or give you that jumper. MJ is clearly the better ISO and team framework scorer. He was a SG who averaged 30+ in the triangle, rarely if ever selfishly breaking the team offense to get his.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/coolhandkev/DILLON_predator.gif

Money 23
01-23-2013, 02:21 AM
its funny how kobe fans are standing up for MJ when compared to durant
Durant is a better shooter, I still take Kobe's scoring skill set over Durant.

Budadiiii
OFFENSIVELY, its not crazy to say that. He can be super efficient, will probably have the greatest range in the game, no handle limitations, he's super long, he will get stronger, there is no match-up that's conceivable of stopping him, and his catch and shoot is incomparable. He might have 8 scoring titles and six years of 50/40/90. The only guys capable of slowing him down are usually four inches shorter. Jordan was a great perimeter defender and I just can't see him affecting Durant. While I don't see anybody guarding Jordan either, Durant is just more deadly from 3 point land.
:biggums:

Thats ridiculous and down right unrealistic.

chazzy
Not offensively, and you can start comparing them as scorers only statistically and that's before putting their number in context. Durant is on a good team that doesn't need him to score at a uber high volume, so we can't see how he'd do with a bigger offensive load. MJ clearly has him beat at volume scoring and breaking out for high scoring games.

Money 23
01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/coolhandkev/DILLON_predator.gif
DILLON !!!

You SON OF A B---- !!!

:cheers:

:oldlol:

DatAsh
01-23-2013, 02:27 AM

If he continues to improve for the next couple of years - similarly to these past couple years - and then maintains that for a while, I could honestly see him going down as the greatest scorer ever.

His scoring doesn't break down a defense the way Jordan's did, but he's a much better 3 point shooter, and he's much better at getting to the line(about 68% better).

Scoring and offense are not one in the same though. Jordan was a much better offensive player, and by a decent margin. Durant isn't even the best offensive player in the league, Lebron is.

Asukal
01-23-2013, 02:53 AM
The only thing Durant has over MJ is length and shooting. He could score with ease because of his length and athleticism add in his great shooting touch and viola you have a KD. MJ was far more versatile as an offensive player. Durant is a great scorer though, he may end up one of the best scorers all time. I doubt he would average 30 ppg for his career though. :no:

KG215
01-23-2013, 03:26 AM
The only thing Durant has over MJ is length and shooting. He could score with ease because of his length and athleticism add in his great shooting touch and viola you have a KD. MJ was far more versatile as an offensive player. Durant is a great scorer though, he may end up one of the best scorers all time. I doubt he would average 30 ppg for his career though. :no:
Maybe not 30 PPG for his career, but I don't think around 28-29 PPG for his career, if he started the first 6-7 years of his career in a role similar to Jordan's first few years in Chicago, or LeBron's first 7 years in Cleveland. Obviously the efficiency would take a hit, but I don't think it's too outlandish to think Durant would've strung together some 30-33 PPG seasons if he was on a team similar to what LeBron had in Cleveland, or Kobe had in LA in 2006 and 2007. It would take a ton of work, though, to drag up the 20 PPG rookie season.

Yes, I know Jordan dropped 28 a game as a rookie (on 52% shooting and with a TS% of 59 no-less...sick), and he never looked back. So yes, I'm aware how ridiculously hard it is to average 30+ PPG for your career. I'm just saying given what we're seeing from Durant, just now entering the early years of his peak/prime -- if he had a few more seasons without someone like a Westbrook on his team -- 3-5 years of 30+ PPG wouldn't be out of the question (probably peaking around 32-33 PPG), and his career average would already be in the 28-29 PPG range.

Asukal
01-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Maybe not 30 PPG for his career, but I don't think around 28-29 PPG for his career, if he started the first 6-7 years of his career in a role similar to Jordan's first few years in Chicago, or LeBron's first 7 years in Cleveland. Obviously the efficiency would take a hit, but I don't think it's too outlandish to think Durant would've strung together some 30-33 PPG seasons if he was on a team similar to what LeBron had in Cleveland, or Kobe had in LA in 2006 and 2007. It would take a ton of work, though, to drag up the 20 PPG rookie season.

Yes, I know Jordan dropped 28 a game as a rookie (on 52% shooting and with a TS% of 59 no-less...sick), and he never looked back. So yes, I'm aware how ridiculously hard it is to average 30+ PPG for your career. I'm just saying given what we're seeing from Durant, just now entering the early years of his peak/prime -- if he had a few more seasons without someone like a Westbrook on his team -- 3-5 years of 30+ PPG wouldn't be out of the question (probably peaking around 32-33 PPG), and his career average would already be in the 28-29 PPG range.

Don't be so sure, having Westbrick on his side has its ups and downs. You can argue that if Westbrick wasn't on his team KD would probably be at 30+ ppg every season but that is not a sure thing. You see Westbrick's presence alone helps Durant a lot on the offensive load. KD can score more efficiently because opponent's defenses can't focus solely on KD they have to watch Westbrick as well. Stats aside, you really think KD is close to MJ as an offensive player? Watch the games, KD is amazing but MJ is unstoppable in his prime.

BoutPractice
01-23-2013, 04:34 AM
He's no Jordan, but he certainly has the makings of a top 5 to 10 scorer in the history of the game.

KG215
01-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Don't be so sure, having Westbrick on his side has its ups and downs. You can argue that if Westbrick wasn't on his team KD would probably be at 30+ ppg every season but that is not a sure thing. You see Westbrick's presence alone helps Durant a lot on the offensive load. KD can score more efficiently because opponent's defenses can't focus solely on KD they have to watch Westbrick as well. Stats aside, you really think KD is close to MJ as an offensive player? Watch the games, KD is amazing but MJ is unstoppable in his prime.
No, I didn't say better offensive player. I actually made a point in an earlier that I meant scorer. And even then, I didn't say he is or will be on Jordan's level. And yes, I'm aware the good side of having someone like Westbrook on his team. But don't forget, before Westbrook really started to emerge, Durant was already averaging around 28-30 PPG. I know Westbrook came in and averaged 15 PPG as a rookie; but it wasn't until last year he added a more well-rounded offensive game, adding an improve mid-range jumper, and this year an improved 3P shot to go with his elite driving ability. And it's not like Durant was at his peak or really even in his true prime during Westbrook's developmental years.

Durant is 24 years old right now averaging 29.5 PPG, on 51/42/91 shooting. And I think this is just the beginning of Durant's scoring/efficiency peak. I know he averaged 29 PPG the last three seasons, but he did that on 1.5 more FGA per game. I'm not sure Durant, in his peak seasons, would ever be capable of carrying a mediocre supporting cast the way someone like LeBron did. I do think, though, he could've proven to be the most lethal scoring perimeter player not named Jordan. Say he averaged something like 22 FGA per game without Westbrook on the team, it's not out of the question to think he'd averaged around 32 PPG (on average) for the next 4-5 seasons or so counting this one.

He's truly one of the most unique players of all-time. The NBA has never seen someone who's a legit 6'9" (w/o shoes) with his length, shooting ability, handling ability, quickness, and athleticism; and I think he's just begun to to tap into his all-around scoring better. His post game will improve. He'll get stronger and not get knocked off his spot as easily and his handle will get even tighter in traffic. I know this is all speculation but, given the uniqueness of his skillset and body, it's hard not to say he could easily average 31+ PPG for a 4-5 year stretch in a different role. It might be on something slightly less efficient like 48/38/90 shooting, but the PPG would definitely be higher.

NLZ
01-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Durant is not a one-dimensional player by any means, but compared to MJ? He's all of a sudden one-dimensional.

maybeshewill13
01-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Durant and Jordan are completely different players. Durant is pretty unique IMO. He'll forge his own legacy. I think he'll certainly be top 20 of all-time when his career is over. How much higher than that? The sky is the limit.

Big#50
01-23-2013, 05:59 AM
You can't breathe on one. The other had teams out there trying to hurt him. Durant is nowhere the offensive weapon MJ was. Not even close.

arifgokcen
01-23-2013, 06:22 AM
I think this thread title shouldnt be offensive weapon.Because offensive is more than scoring.When you say offensive weapon,evein in todays nba you would take lebron over durant.However as a scorer he really is something we have never seen.Unlike jordan he can score as soon as he passes the half court.As a scorer i think its very possible durant is better than anyone we have ever seen including jordan

dunksby
01-23-2013, 06:31 AM
OP is retarded, the premise of the OP is stupid, just enjoy KD's game and we can start comparing him to all-time greats when he approaches his retirement after an all-time caliber career.

OldSchoolBBall
01-23-2013, 08:45 AM
His scoring doesn't break down a defense the way Jordan's did, but he's a much better 3 point shooter, and he's much better at getting to the line(about 68% better).

He's not "better" at getting to the line, he's just playing in a league that puts him and other perimeter stars there very, very often since 2006. KD is not getting 10+ FTA/gm in the '90-'00 NBA.

LikeABosh
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Better scorer? Maybe. Better offensive player. Hell no. Learn the difference retards.

NewYorkNoPicks
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
**** yea I said it

Durant has the most invincible jumpshot I've ever seen, even though MJ probably has the best midrange game ever, Durant has that along with a invincible 3 point shot

add that to his 6'11 frame, and his INSANELY good handles for a player that big

together with his youth....

Yea Durant will end up being a better offensive player than MJ, i said it

Yeahhh.. Please submit proof of your age because well...14 year olds havent seen Jordan

Cangri
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I just hope he can stay healthy, to me it's just unbelievable that someone with his built still hasn't gotten any serious injury. The guy is just a freak in his own way like Lebron, there has never been someone as tall and as lenthy as Durant that can dribble and shoot so well.

nashwade
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Durant's confidence is easily shaken. he is not going to be an MJ type player

pauk
01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
He first has to be a better overall offensive player than Lebron is or at least better than Kobe was..... not to mention guys in the past like Larry Bird (who was just as tall as Durant and better at everything Durant does) and so on....

OldSchoolBBall
01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
He first has to be a better overall offensive player than Lebron is or at least better than Kobe was..... not to mention guys in the past like Larry Bird (who was just as tall as Durant and better at everything Durant does) and so on....

Bird was definitely better offensively than Durant, but KD does have almost 2" on him. Durant is like 6'11" in shoes and Bird was just over 6'9".

Whoah10115
01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Durant is not going to be the scorer Michael was, much less the overall offensive player.

Durant is never going to max the way Bryant did, on the scoring end. He might be the better scorer in the end tho (Bryant's fault), but he's not going to be as good an offensive player as Bryant was. So he's gonna be as good as Michael? Come on now.

3LiftHeatCurse
01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
if this does happen... expect TrailBlazer fans to miss out on every big man prospect for the next 50 years in favor of elite perimeter prospects.

no way in hell they ever draft a big man over a perimeter guy again after MJ and now durant.

TheMan
01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Silly thread by the OP who obviously never saw a prime Jordan back in the day...and I like Durant but come on.

guy
01-23-2013, 01:34 PM
He just doesn't have the athleticism or passing ability to be up there. He doesn't have the post game but he might be able to compensate for that with his ridiculous shooting ability.

He might be a better offensive player then someone like Kobe cause of his better efficiency and decision making. But he's still not up there with Jordan.

guy
01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Add MJ as well what he did at 23 is better than what mj did at 28. Also I want to see what lebron does with that team instead of the cavs.

:oldlol: what? So Durant's Finals performance was better then arguably the greatest Finals performance ever?

ralph_i_el
01-23-2013, 02:03 PM
There's no answer for Durant. I don't know how you can say any of these guys are clearly better than Durant. Bird, Kobe, and MJ were all obviously unstoppable but Durant is as well. You really can only score so efficiently and consistently and I really don't see how you can do either of those things better than Durant is doing right now.

STATUTORY
01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
There's no answer for Durant. I don't know how you can say any of these guys are clearly better than Durant. Bird, Kobe, and MJ were all obviously unstoppable but Durant is as well. You really can only score so efficiently and consistently and I really don't see how you can do either of those things better than Durant is doing right now.

Durant is like a cheese exploit that Stern needs to fix with the next patch release. the game is broken for competitive play.

guy
01-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I have to say 1 thing. Considering how many shots he takes, he maybe the greatest shooter ever. Players like Reggie, Ray, and Nash may have some better %s but they never took as many shots as Durant or were as much of a focus on defense as he is. The only players that maybe similar are Bird and Dirk, and I'm not sure even they compare cause they weren't doing this taking 5 3 three-pointers per game.

KG215
01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Durant's confidence is easily shaken. he is not going to be an MJ type player
And what evidence of this do you have?

fpliii
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
This is a tough question. If what we're seeing from Durant this season is what we can expect from him in his prime (for at least 4-5 years, proving it's not an anomaly), then I think he has a good chance to go down as the GOAT scorer (GOAT shooter? I'm not sure if that's in play but if he does this for a few more years he'll be in the conversation).

Now, better offensive player than MJ (who I have as the #2 offensive player behind Magic)? That's a difficult sell. Based on his body type/the roster/his team's offensive schemes, I don't think Durant will ever be a game-changing playmaker (great sure, elite for his size/position fine; but not at the level we saw from Magic/Mike), meaning he'd have to do it with his scoring.

In order for his scoring to offset the playmaking advantage of Magic/MJ, he'd need to improve beyond this season, PLUS have an additional level on top of that at his peak. He'll have to do it in the Finals as well (he was great statistically in the series last year outside of when LeBron was guarding him, but he didn't strike me as impactful as he could've been...for his age though he obviously gets a pass, and he was very very good in his first Finals appearance).

Now there are still a few guys between KD and those two (even in terms of best season), so this conversation is a little early likely. But as of today, KD is averaging 29.5ppg on .519/.417/.910 (clearing all three parts of the 50/40/90 cutoff by at least 10 percentage points). If we get something like 32-35 ppg on the above or better percentages (which is tough in this slower era...so there might be some leway), with a few amazing Finals series? I think he has a shot.

NumberSix
01-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Wow. Durant'tards are making a serious run at the Kobe'tards' title.

ZaaaaaH
01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
if this does happen... expect TrailBlazer fans to miss out on every big man prospect for the next 50 years in favor of elite perimeter prospects.

no way in hell they ever draft a big man over a perimeter guy again after MJ and now durant.

Funny thing is next time they do that the BIG will rise to the occasion. :oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
01-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Durant isn't a better overall offensive player than LeBron, how is he better than Jordan ? He's not even a better scorer than Jordan.

Durant having one good scoring run and a good scoring finals performance doesn't put him over the best scorer ever.

Michael Jordan
Everyone else

Just accept it already

There's imaginary gap between Jordan and the rest of the league, so there's nothing to accept.

Kingwillball
01-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Only Guy who can LIMIT Durant head to Head is Lebron and Swarming Heat Defense..

SwayDizzle
01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
I've seen enough. Durant is not better than Kobe offensively. And MJ? Are you guys kidding?

NumberSix
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
I've seen enough. Durant is not better than Kobe offensively. And MJ? Are you guys kidding?
This.

DMV2
01-23-2013, 04:17 PM
I think Jordan dropped a pair of 60+ points when he was 24.

Correction, he dropped three 60+ points games at 24 years including the playoff record of 63 points in the old Boston Garden during the playoffs.

Durant has longs ways to go.