PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler's career resurgence

Kargo
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Tyson's career hit a low in the 2009/10 season playing for the Bobcats,after being disposed of by New Orleans,he was deemed a past his prime,injury prone waste of talent.

Then he gets a miracle pick up by the Mavs and from then on he has done or being a part of the following things:

2010 World Champion
2011 NBA Champion
2012 Olympic Champion
2012 Defensive Player Of The Year
2011/12 All NBA Second Defensive Team
2012 All NBA Third Team
2013 NBA All Star

Those are incredible accomplishments for a whole career let alone a 3 season period.A very inspiring comeback.:applause:

-p.tiddy-
01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Love Chandler, one of my favorite players in the league

Teanett
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
:applause:

based on accomplishments alone, would he be a top 15 all time center?

D-Rose
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Love Chandler, one of my favorite players in the league
:biggums:

Whoah10115
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM

:kobe:

-p.tiddy-
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
:biggums:
Chandler is a fckin G

BuffaloBill
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
The Bobcats made the playoffs that year. They also had the best ranked defense in the NBA. Tyson played 51 games

Haymaker
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
I thought he would pull the brakes after his huge contract, but he's still hustling like it's his contract year. He's a winner.

guy
01-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Not even close. There's been a ton of great centers in the league and this is such a weak era for centers.

01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
He came in the league with huge expectations but somehow was disappointing.

Then he moved onto the hornets where CP3 threw him lobs he more than happily dunked.

Since 2010 it's definitely been a second (or third) wind for Chandler.

Teanett
01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Not even close. There's been a ton of great centers in the league and this is such a weak era for centers.

sure but i'm going by accomplishments alone.

nba champ
world champ
olympic champ
dpoy
all star

who else can claim that?

russel, drob, hakeem...

I<3NBA
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM
let's ressurrect the magikarp thread :lol

LikeABosh
01-25-2013, 03:34 PM

Are you shitting me?

NewYorkNoPicks
01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
sure but i'm going by accomplishments alone.

nba champ
world champ
olympic champ
dpoy
all star

who else can claim that?

russel, drob, hakeem...

Why do so many dummies on the forum think a title is the end all be all?

A RING IS A TEAMMMMMMMM ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!!!

Lebron could walk away with 0 rings and be top 10 all time.

Malone, payton, ewing, barkley, stockton, Dominique, etc have never won rings.

Your all time status is based on your own personal production. Rings are only used to break ties between the greats

HurricaneKid
01-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Tyson's career hit a low in the 2009/10 season playing for the Bobcats,after being disposed of by New Orleans,he was deemed a past his prime,injury prone waste of talent.

Then he gets a miracle pick up by the Mavs

A very inspiring comeback.:applause:

There is just one problem. Chandler has been an elite player for years. He carried the BOBCATS to the f'ing playoffs in his "career low". That was after CP3 and he led NO to the 2 seed in the West.

If you look at RAPM Chandler has been in or around the top 20 for seven of last 9 years (outside of the two seasons he had his back issues).

Its great he is finally being appreciated but you are missing the fact that he has been standing out for a while now.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/

CavaliersFTW
01-25-2013, 04:10 PM

:facepalm

Teanett
01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Why do so many dummies on the forum think a title is the end all be all?

A RING IS A TEAMMMMMMMM ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!!!

Lebron could walk away with 0 rings and be top 10 all time.

Malone, payton, ewing, barkley, stockton, Dominique, etc have never won rings.

Your all time status is based on your own personal production. Rings are only used to break ties between the greats

i'm not talking about chandler as a player. i'm talking about his resume.
he has one of the most impressive resumes of any center in history.

CavaliersFTW
01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
i'm not talking about chandler as a player. i'm talking about his resume.
he has one of the most impressive resumes of any center in history.
Are you freaking kidding?

George Mikan
Willis Reed
Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Wes Unseld
Dave Cowens
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Robert Parish
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal
Moses Malone
Bill Walton
Patrick Ewing
David Robinson

In no particular order... so uh... which center is his resume supposed to exceed? :roll:

imdaman99
01-25-2013, 04:20 PM
yeah chandler is good. top 50 center maybe? definitely not top 15 lol

chains5000
01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
He came in the league with huge expectations but somehow was disappointing.
I remember thinking "If only the Bulls could have Curry's offense and Chandler's defense in the same player..."

kNicKz
01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Tyson Chandler really turned the knicks defense 180 around, and I love him for that

Teanett
01-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Are you freaking kidding?

George Mikan
Willis Reed
Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Wes Unseld
Dave Cowens
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Robert Parish
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal
Moses Malone
Bill Walton
Patrick Ewing
David Robinson

In no particular order... so uh... which center is his resume supposed to exceed? :roll:

who on that list is an nba, olympic and fiba world champion?

DCL
01-25-2013, 04:41 PM
if your team doesn't need a big man to be the focal offense, chandler's your man. he does all the other traditional big stuff -- rebound and control the paint d.

but score like hakeem or duncan? he can't.

CavaliersFTW
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Those guys are olympic champions and/or NCAA champions, and most of those guys have multiple rings/scoring titles/rebounding titles/all NBA first team selections/MVP's/FMVP's etc

Tyson Chandlers career accolades are middle of the road compared to all-time NBA centers - get out of here thinking he's "top rank all time" because of some stupid ass assortment of FIBA/Olympic medals and one DPOY award :facepalm

God damn this is not only a weak era for centers, it's a weak era for fans who pretend to know anything about how good all-time NBA centers used to be

bigt
01-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Who on that list does Chandler have beat in on-court performance? It's the stupid Horry>insert player 8 because he has a whole bunch of rings. Chandler's a good player, I'm a big fan of the way he's played on Dallas and beyond, but to think he's top 5 amongst those men? :oldlol:

Teanett
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Those guys are olympic champions and/or NCAA champions, and most of those guys have multiple rings/scoring titles/rebounding titles/all NBA first team selections/MVP's/FMVP's etc

Tyson Chandlers career accolades are middle of the road compared to all-time NBA centers - get out of here thinking he's "top rank all time" because of some stupid ass assortment of FIBA/Olympic medals and one DPOY award :facepalm

God damn this is not only a weak era for centers, it's a weak era for fans who pretend to know anything about how good all-time NBA centers used to be

:wtf:
parish and shaq didnt win ncaa. moses sure didnt. wes unseld won the olympics?

you know those "some stupid ass assortment of FIBA/Olympic medals" that chandler has are actual titles?
you know mvp's and all-nba selections are results of a fukking poll.

granted, chandler doesnt have an mvp but everything else. if you think that's middle of the road, good on you.

Teanett
01-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Who on that list does Chandler have beat in on-court performance? It's the stupid Horry>insert player 8 because he has a whole bunch of rings. Chandler's a good player, I'm a big fan of the way he's played on Dallas and beyond, but to think he's top 5 amongst those men? :oldlol:

would you care to read the whole thread if you want to take part in the conversation?

bigt
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
would you care to read the whole thread if you want to take part in the conversation?

I did, what am I missing? On court performance counts as an accomplishment to me. You accomplish great numbers, just like Shaq accomplishes back to back to back Finals MVP's.

Shaq didn't win NCAA? How many NBA titles did he win? How many did Chandler. 5>1

Teanett
01-25-2013, 05:28 PM
I did, what am I missing? On court performance counts as an accomplishment to me. You accomplish great numbers, just like Shaq accomplishes back to back to back Finals MVP's.

Shaq didn't win NCAA? How many NBA titles did he win? How many did Chandler. 5>1

i was never arguing that chandler actually is a top 15 center.
btw, i believe shaq has only 4 nba titles. you're confusing him with kobe.

CavaliersFTW
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Shaq's resume right off of Wiki:

IGotACoolStory
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
The guy was a draft bust 4 years ago and now he's a top 15 center ever?

Michael_Wilbon
01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
The guy was a draft bust 4 years ago and now he's a top 15 center ever?

If Tyson Chandler is a top 15 center all time then Noah is a top 5 center all time. Just stop. Please.

bigt
01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
i was never arguing that chandler actually is a top 15 center.
btw, i believe shaq has only 4 nba titles. you're confusing him with kobe.

Yeah my bad, he only has 4, call it blind wishful thinking that the Celtics pulled off a miracle in the year he was there :oldlol:

That's what drew my comments, especially since I base accomplishments on their on court performance as well. He's had a brilliant three year stretch, and he was a major part in getting the Mavs their first title for sure, but accomplishments are such a wide parameter that I think it's difficult to argue just because he's won titles in different 'competitions' compared to the kind of league dominance some of these guys have secured

Kargo
01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
There is just one problem. Chandler has been an elite player for years. He carried the BOBCATS to the f'ing playoffs in his "career low". That was after CP3 and he led NO to the 2 seed in the West.

If you look at RAPM Chandler has been in or around the top 20 for seven of last 9 years (outside of the two seasons he had his back issues).

Its great he is finally being appreciated but you are missing the fact that he has been standing out for a while now.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/

He didn't led the Bobcats...are you serious?He had 6 points and 6 rebounds per game,he was the team's 10-th scorer,in front of him were players like Nazr Mohammed,Flip Murray and Tyrus Thomas.He averaged 22 minutes per game.

That Bobcats team was led by Stephen Jackson,Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw.Chandler was a non factor.

He was even a bigger non factor in the playoffs.

His cred was at an all time low before the Mavs picked him up.

Teanett
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=CavaliersFTW]Shaq's resume right off of Wiki:

Teanett
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
That's what drew my comments, especially since I base accomplishments on their on court performance as well. He's had a brilliant three year stretch, and he was a major part in getting the Mavs their first title for sure, but accomplishments are such a wide parameter that I think it's difficult to argue just because he's won titles in different 'competitions' compared to the kind of league dominance some of these guys have secured

then maybe i have to word it differently. i mean tangible results, titles.
chandler isnt nearly as dominant as all of the aforementioned but he's a champion on many levels and now has some individual accolades to boot, which seperates him from the robert horrys and derek fishers.

he was never mvp or even in mvp-consideration or first-team consideration but i wont take that into account because i dont want to take into account that patrick ewing was better because he was closer to being mvp but never won a damn mvp or scoring title either...

wakencdukest
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
I gotta give Tyson credit, he grew some balls over the last couple of years, and became a defensive presence. Hopefully he keeps it up. Let's be real though, he's not close to a top 25 center of all time. His first 10 years in the league were pretty insignificant.

bigt
01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
then maybe i have to word it differently. i mean tangible results, titles.
chandler isnt nearly as dominant as all of the aforementioned but he's a champion on many levels and now has some individual accolades to boot, which seperates him from the robert horrys and derek fishers.

he was never mvp or even in mvp-consideration or first-team consideration but i wont take that into account because i dont want to take into account that patrick ewing was better because he was closer to being mvp but never won a damn mvp or scoring title either...

I guess I'm just trying to pin down what you're actually trying to argue. You acknowledge he isn't nearly as dominant as some of the guys you'd put him ahead of. You won't take into account he wasn't near MVP/NBA All First consideration because Ewing wasn't either (and let's face it, winning a title in his era was brutal since he had to get past Jordan for so many years)

You take out multiplicity because of the Horry/Kerr arguement (something I'd normally agree with) but I think that argument loses value when the guy won Finals MVP during that period it's hard to argue the Horry/Kerr part because it means we wasn't a role player, he was the man.

With all that, all you're left with as you say, the tangibles, things that weren't voted on. You really need to account for the on court numbers for that kind of thing. They weren't voted on like MVP's, DPOY's and All Star selections, they were earned in the heat of battle. And they don't necessarily back him up either.

As I've said, I like Chandler, I really do, but it kind of feels like you're setting up a bunch of loopholes to try and make him appear better than he really is

01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Chandler's a better pick and roll guy.

He knows when to roll and when to get out of the way of the dribbler. Noah looks clueless compared to Chandler and gets in the way of D Rose.

upside24
01-25-2013, 06:35 PM
He didn't led the Bobcats...are you serious?He had 6 points and 6 rebounds per game,he was the team's 10-th scorer,in front of him were players like Nazr Mohammed,Flip Murray and Tyrus Thomas.He averaged 22 minutes per game.

That Bobcats team was led by Stephen Jackson,Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw.Chandler was a non factor.

He was even a bigger non factor in the playoffs.

His cred was at an all time low before the Mavs picked him up.
Thank you.

Chandler was a dog that year. Then his contract was up and he was on a contender and suddenly he was being mentioned as an elite defensive center.

Hmm.

Smoke117
01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Possibly the most overrated player in the league. The DPOY he was awarded last year was a complete joke. He is not a real defensive anchor. His effect is more of a Horace Grant and Charles Oakley defensively. Even with a screwed up back Dwight was far more dominant defensively last season and was still the the most impactful defensive player in the league. At least the coaches got something right for once when they named Dwight to the all defensive first team over him.

For those who are so sore on Howard then someone like Kevin Garnett was far more deserving of the DPOY too.

Phenith
01-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Love the 2nd team all defense nod despite winning dpoy that year, lol:wtf: :wtf:

Whoah10115
01-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Possibly the most overrated player in the league. The DPOY he was awarded last year was a complete joke. He is not a real defensive anchor. His effect is more of a Horace Grant and Charles Oakley defensively. Even with a screwed up back Dwight was far more dominant defensively last season and was still the the most impactful defensive player in the league. At least the coaches got something right for once when they named Dwight to the all defensive first team over him.

For those who are so sore on Howard then someone like Kevin Garnett was far more deserving of the DPOY too.

More ignorant talk from someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

First of all, Charles Oakley is one of the best defensive players of all-time so stop talking. Second, Grant was an elite defensive player.

Third, Chandler is most obviously a center and he is an anchor. Say what you want, but that's what his defense is. He's the guy in the middle who everyone moves around. He literally holds down the defensive shape and the rotations happen around him. That makes him an anchor, you idiot.

He's a great defender. You can find him overrated and that's fine. But talking as if he's barely above average is stupid. Then again, you try to defend Ray Allen's defense and accuse Bryant of "over pressuring" and getting blown by. You're literally pulling shit from your ass. Shutup.

TheBigVeto
01-25-2013, 08:05 PM

Then he gets a miracle pick up by the Mavs and from then on he has done or being a part of the following things:

2010 World Champion
2011 NBA Champion
2012 Olympic Champion
2012 All NBA Third Team
2013 NBA All Star

Those are incredible accomplishments for a whole career let alone a 3 season period.A very inspiring comeback.:applause:

Yes indeed. The Mavs thing rejuvenated him. All hail Gawdirk.

Smoke117
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
More ignorant talk from someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

First of all, Charles Oakley is one of the best defensive players of all-time so stop talking. Second, Grant was an elite defensive player.

Third, Chandler is most obviously a center and he is an anchor. Say what you want, but that's what his defense is. He's the guy in the middle who everyone moves around. He literally holds down the defensive shape and the rotations happen around him. That makes him an anchor, you idiot.

He's a great defender. You can find him overrated and that's fine. But talking as if he's barely above average is stupid. Then again, you try to defend Ray Allen's defense and accuse Bryant of "over pressuring" and getting blown by. You're literally pulling shit from your ass. Shutup.

I'm pulling shit out of my ass? I saw you compare Chandler to Ewing defensively and actually laughed out loud. What kind of god damn absurd talk is that? The point of mentioning Grant Oakley is that while very good defensive players neither were anchors for their team. His impact is a lot more akin to them than the guy who was anchoring the Knicks teams with Oakley...Patrick Ewing. In conclusion, you shut the **** up.

Teanett
01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
As I've said, I like Chandler, I really do, but it kind of feels like you're setting up a bunch of loopholes to try and make him appear better than he really is

again, i'm not talking about him as a player, nor am i trying to paint a picture of him being an all-time great center.
i'm talking about his resume, the checks off his lifetime achievement list.

BoutPractice
01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
He used to be very underrated, but it seems people have finally caught on ^^

hawkfan
01-26-2013, 01:19 PM

2010 World Champion
2011 NBA Champion
2012 Olympic Champion
2012 All NBA Third Team
2013 NBA All Star

Big credit goes to Coach Mike K of Team USA, who told him to focus on defense and built up his confidence.

He doesn't grumble on offense when his number isn't called. He's gotten into the best shape of his career and he has become the defensive leader of the Knicks.

Pointguard
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Dwight was out of the equation for being an absolute distraction for his team. He didn't deserve any team awards. Leadership means a whole lot to a team. Dallas didn't win a game in the playoffs because they lost their defensive anchor. Orlando won one less game than the previous year but was more riled up with Big Baby at center last year.

The Knicks were a totally turned around team. They were inspired by Chandler and had a defensive presence. If you change a culture and add a dimension to the team its better than causing a ruckus on how you intend to leave the team you are on. It would have been foul for DH to win any team award. His value to the team was in the negative.

KG had a better chance. I had him and Chandler as pretty much equal.

La Frescobaldi
01-26-2013, 01:50 PM

no. maybe top 15 of his era.

La Frescobaldi
01-26-2013, 01:53 PM
:wtf:
parish and shaq didnt win ncaa. moses sure didnt. wes unseld won the olympics?

you know those "some stupid ass assortment of FIBA/Olympic medals" that chandler has are actual titles?
you know mvp's and all-nba selections are results of a fukking poll.

granted, chandler doesnt have an mvp but everything else. if you think that's middle of the road, good on you.
don't blame the old guys for Olympics when the rules were pros could not go. That's no valid comparison at all

01-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Is it safe to say that Tyson Chandler is a better bargain on your team than Dwight?

leopoldstotch
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Tyson is a perfect example of a guy who knows his role in the NBA, and became good at it. We all had high expectations when he was drafted out of high school. He just worked hard, and did his thing, and he's at a good spot right now.

Kwame Brown unfortunately.......

leopoldstotch
01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Flashback. What do you think would have happened if the Clippers decided to keep Chandler, and didn't trade Skinner and Chandler for Elton Brand?

no pun intended
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/270/f/2/gyarados_by_alreadyoverwhat-d2zn64h.jpg

bokes15
01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Tyson Chandler's resurgance is in part because of motivation and himself healthy and happy again. But in another part it's because of the severe decline in the center position. To be a top 5 Center in this league no longer requires you to have a post game. All you have to do is be quick, long, athletic, an active rebounder, and a guy who can pick and roll with good hands to catch alley-oops. In todays NBA, that makes him an elite center. In era's past it would probaably make him a fringe starter if he had elite teammates or a great bench energy guy. That's not to take anything away from him but that's just the reality of it.

VIP2000
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Tyson Chandler's resurgance is in part because of motivation and himself healthy and happy again. But in another part it's because of the severe decline in the center position. To be a top 5 Center in this league no longer requires you to have a post game. All you have to do is be quick, long, athletic, an active rebounder, and a guy who can pick and roll with good hands to catch alley-oops. In todays NBA, that makes him an elite center. In era's past it would probaably make him a fringe starter if he had elite teammates or a great bench energy guy. That's not to take anything away from him but that's just the reality of it.

He was never really considered a top center until he won a ring with the Mavericks. Most people thought he was a solid starter. There was a long thread here back in 2009 or 2010 where everyone pretty much ragged on his abilities, and compared him to Magikarp from Pokemon.

miles berg
01-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Chandler is a much better player than Noah lol, stupid comparison.

Chandler got a huge deal and kept playing hard, sure miss him but the Mavs made the right decision. He is a top 10 center who defends his ass off, gotta love his effort.

bokes15
01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
He was never really considered a top center until he won a ring with the Mavericks. Most people thought he was a solid starter. There was a long thread here back in 2009 or 2010 where everyone pretty much ragged on his abilities, and compared him to Magikarp from Pokemon.
It's fair to say that he's been underrated, but he used to have major problems with consistency while he was on the Bulls. From the time he joined the Hornets and on is when he really came into his zone as a player. Then he had a down year, and came on strong in Dallas and hasn't looked back. To me he's a better individual player overall in the past 3 seasons than he was for most of his career.