PDA

View Full Version : Any NHL fans? Teach me hockey.

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Please. Give me the basics of the sport...rules, teams, players.

I find hockey to be damn entertaining but I want to be a fan of it like I am of basketball. I'm a Blackhawks fan (already was a Cubs and Bears fan, so chose the Hawks...like Kane, Hossa, Toews so far :D).

The only games I have watched all the way are the Winter Classic once and also the Stanley Cup final where Crosby and Pens beat the Red Wings.

TEACH ME!!! much rep when it's back.

:cheers:

Just2McFly
01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Don't do this yourself mane!!!!!!

Batz
01-28-2013, 11:10 AM
No.

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Don't do this yourself mane!!!!!!
Give it to me!!!!

CarlosBoozer
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a canandian friend from bte, when he goes online he'll tell you everything you need to know. His username is Bcogswell

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
I have a canandian friend from bte, when he goes online he'll tell you everything you need to know. His username is Bcogswell
Seen him around. Thanks for heads up!

CarlosBoozer
01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Seen him around. Thanks for heads up!

I always got your back, Rose ;)

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 11:26 AM
I always got your back, Rose ;)
http://espn.go.com/photo/2010/1222/chi_g_boozer_rose1_400.jpg

Just2McFly
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Boozer needs to stick his back...side into an opposing player more often on both ends. Backing down and boxing out are elements of basketball too Boozer.

CarlosBoozer
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo5l9aBFex1qf0deho1_500.gif

CarlosBoozer
01-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Boozer needs to stick his back...side into an opposing player more often on both ends. Backing down and boxing out are elements of basketball too Boozer.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3137e6a2f976cd98f2aea6b07a148959/tumblr_mh0n36MYZI1ryxkjpo1_500.gif

Bcogswell
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the shout out. :oldlol:

CarlosBoozer
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the shout out. :oldlol:
You are the expert of NHl! :bowdown: You should spread your knowledge to ISH :cheers:

Bcogswell
01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
As far as the basic rules are concerned:

- There are three 20 minute periods, if the game is tied after the end of three periods it goes into OT which is a 5 minute period where the play is 4 on 4 instead of the regular 5 on 5. If someone scores during OT, the game is over. If no-one scores in OT it moves onto a shootout where the game will eventually be decided. For every win a team gets 2 points and for every loss in OT/SO you get 1 point.

- There is 12 players on the ice at one time, which is broken down into these positions LW, C, RW, LD, RD, G for each team.

- As far as what will get you called for a penalty.. theres a few things. Interfering, tripping, hooking, fighting, instigating, closing your hand on a puck in your own zone, hitting from behind, elbowing, hit to the head, shooting the puck over the boards (without it being deflected by someone on the other team).

If you receive a penalty, your player goes into the penalty box to serve his time. Its usually 2 or 4 minutes but you can receive more then that.

- Now when your watching the game there will be a couple things you might notice and don't know what they mean which is offside and icing. Offside is simply someone going into the offensive zone before the puck does, and icing is any puck shot from before the center ice that goes all the way down to the other end. If either one is called, it will result in a face-off. The only difference is the location of the face-off, and whether you can change your line or not. For an offside you would have a face-off just outside the blueline where you got called for an offside and you would be allowed to change your lines. However, for an icing your team will not be allowed to change lines (forcing you to keep the tired players on the ice), and the face-off will be brought all the way down to your zone and taken in one of the circles beside your goalie.

As far as individual points are concerned, there is goals which can be broken down into 3 categories which are Powerplay goals (a goal where you have the man advantage), short handed goals ( a goal where you are down a man), and regular strength goal ( where no-one has a man advantage). They are all worth the same but they keep track of the stats to show who is more dangerous in which situations. Assists on the other hand are somewhat similar to NBA except that it is the last two people to touch the puck before the goal was scored.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. :oldlol:

pauk
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
If you have any other questions feel free to ask. :oldlol:

Whats up with Goalies leaving the goal empty for long stretches sometimes? (yes, in the middle of a freakin game) **** makes no sense... :biggums:

hateraid
01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I've followed hockey all my life. Been an NHL fan as much as an NBA fan.

Bcogswell
01-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Whats up with Goalies leaving the goal empty for long stretches sometimes? (yes, in the middle of a freakin game) **** makes no sense... :biggums:

If there is a delayed penalty the team that will have the man advantage will often pull their goalie in order to put on an extra player on the ice. Essentially giving them a 6 on 5 advantage until the opposing team manages to touch the puck. Once they touch the puck, the delayed penalty is called and the goalie comes back out.

Thats the only reason I can think of for during the middle of a game, however they will also pull the goalie at the end of the game in the last minute or so if they are down a goal and really want to pressure the other team. Its just a matter of whether the extra attacker is worth the chance of the other team getting an empty net goal.

hateraid
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
If there is a delayed penalty the team that will have the man advantage will often pull their goalie in order to put on an extra player on the ice. Essentially giving them a 6 on 5 advantage until the opposing team manages to touch the puck. Once they touch the puck, the delayed penalty is called and the goalie comes back out.

Thats the only reason I can think of for during the middle of a game, however they will also pull the goalie at the end of the game in the last minute or so if they are down a goal and really want to pressure the other team. Its just a matter of whether the extra attacker is worth the chance of the other team getting an empty net goal.

Yeah, it's almost like in football where they allow the play to unfold before the play stops. If you have control of the puck and draw a penalty play continues and only stops when the other team touches the puck. Since it's virtuallu impossible foe the other team to score rules stae that 6 players are allowed to be on the ice, including goalie if you want to play him.

Technically you can play the game with 6 players and no goalie, but that wouldn't be wise

red1
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
hit the puck with the hockey stick

Velocirap31
01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Hockey is too unpredictable. I like to know ahead of time which teams will be in the Finals.

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks Bcogswell, that post helped a lot! :applause:

Some random questions:

-How would the KHL compare to NHL? Euroleague to NBA?
-What are the GOAT players in NHL history?
-Current players that are all-time greats?
-Most/least successful franchises?
-Top 10 players and their teams today?
-If the OT/shootout breaks a tie then why does the team record have a x-y-z format?

Posting this picture just for myself to help visualize the teams.

http://www.tmlfever.com/files/map_of_team_cities.gif

Have to say that the NHL has the most badass team names and logos!

Skywalker
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I like the SENS and STARS.

If you ever wanna be entertained by hockey watch #65 for Ottawa, Erik Karlsson. Best offensive defenseman in a long time, gets the puck in own zone and skates past everyone to create scoring chance at other end. Takes risks on D to create offensive chances, and usually recovers because of his speed when his gamble fails.

MMM
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it's almost like in football where they allow the play to unfold before the play stops. If you have control of the puck and draw a penalty play continues and only stops when the other team touches the puck. Since it's virtuallu impossible foe the other team to score rules stae that 6 players are allowed to be on the ice, including goalie if you want to play him.

Technically you can play the game with 6 players and no goalie, but that wouldn't be wise

The only way the opposing team can score is if the offensive team throws the puck back and accidentally put it in there own net. In all my years of watching hockey i think i've only seen that happen once.

MMM
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Some random questions:

-If the OT/shootout breaks a tie then why does the team record have a x-y-z format?

Some of those logos are really old;
Washington, Anaheim, LA and Phoenix haven't had those logo's in awhile
Also Atlanta is now in Winnipeg

Zan Tabak
01-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Some random questions:

-How would the KHL compare to NHL? Euroleague to NBA?Pretty much. The best players play in the NHL.
-What are the GOAT players in NHL history?Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr
-Current players that are all-time greats? Crosby, Ovechkin
-Most/least successful franchises?Most- Montreal Canadians, Least - Phoenix Coyotes /Money wise the Toronto Maple Leafs are the most successful
-Top 10 players and their teams today? That's a tough one for me to do from the top of my head, I'd have to do research. Too lazy right now :cheers:
-If the OT/shootout breaks a tie then why does the team record have a x-y-z format? There are wins, losses, and overtime losses - where the losing team gets 1 point.

Hope that helps ^^

irondarts
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM

Some random questions:

- Yes. Probably similar.
- Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Hull
- I think Jaromir Jagr is an all time great, he's on the Stars now. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have the potential to be.
- Most successful - All time? Bruins, Rangers, Flyers IDK. Least - Jets, Islanders

1. Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins)
2. Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh Penguins)
3. Alex Ovechkin (Washington Capitals)
4. Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks)
5. Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning)
6. Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit Red Wings)
7. Claude Giroux (Philadelphia Flyers)
8. Shea Weber (Nashville Predators)
9. Daniel Sedin (Vancouver Canucks)
10. Henrik Sedin (Vancouver Canucks)

-Wins-Losses-Overtime/Shootout Losses is how it's broken down. Teams get a point for OT losses.

BTW, regarding that picture, you should know that the Atlanta Thrashers are now the Winnipeg Jets.

irondarts
01-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Here's the updated logos:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz7v9z6dPz1qk17n8o1_500.jpg

Skywalker
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
TOP 10 off the top of my head

1. Crosby - Penguins
2. Malkin - Penguins
3. Stamkos - Lightning
4. Datsyuk - Red Wings
5. Giroux - flyers
6. Karlsson - Senators
7. Henrik Sedin - Canucks
8. Toews - Blackhawks
9. Kovalchuk - Devils
10. Chara - Bruins

perhaps

JerryWest
01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
What's the average height of a hockey player?

irondarts
01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
TOP 10 off the top of my head

1. Crosby - Penguins
2. Malkin - Penguins
3. Stamkos - Lightning
4. Datsyuk - Red Wings
5. Giroux - flyers
6. Karlsson - Senators
7. Henrik Sedin - Canucks
8. Toews - Blackhawks
9. Kovalchuk - Devils
10. Chara - Bruins

perhaps
Ovie?

Derka
01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
I was never into hockey. Until I got a work-study job during my undergrad years at Schneider Arena, home of the Hockey East's Providence College Friars.

College hockey is fantastic. I learned absolutely everything about the game watching some of the best college programs in the nation every weekend and that, in 2003, finally converted me into the Bruins fan my father always wished I would become.

hateraid
01-28-2013, 09:04 PM

I'd say more CFL to NFL considering the size of the ice

It would have to be between Gretzky or Lemuiex. Gretzky holds the most records but Lemeuix was the better all around Physical talent, he just had health issues.
Bobby Orr is considered by many hardcore hockey heads as being an innovator at the defensive position.
Gordie Howe had the longevity and held many records until Gretzky broke them.
Partick Roy is considered the greatest Goalie who ever lived, but Marty may surpass that.
I'd give the nod to Gretzky for the fact he had more assists than any other player had points. That and he's the record holder for athlete who holds the most records

Besides the obvious with Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin, the ones who have cemented a HOF career:

Martin Broduer
Jerome Iginla
Daniel Alfredsson
Chris Pronger
Joe Thorton
Marian Hossa
Jaromir Jagr

Most: Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens
Least: Winnipeg/Pheonix, Toronto

1- Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
2- Evgeny Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
3- Steve Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
4- Henry Lunqvist, NY Rangers
5- Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
6- Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
7- Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
8- Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins
9- Shea Weber, Nashville Predators
10- Alexandre Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

Honorable: Eric Staal, Rick Nash, Marian Goborik, Drew Doubty, Pekka Rinne, Jonathan Quick, Zak Parise, Pavel Datsyuk, Jonathan Toews, Ilya Kovalchuk

1 point for tie in regualation, etra point for OT win or SO win.

hateraid
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Ovie?

Ovie is barely top 10. He hasn't been the same in a couple of years. Think allen Iverson type drop off
Although I have him in my top 10 still on pure talent

irondarts
01-28-2013, 09:08 PM

I'd say more CFL to NFL considering the size of the ice

It would have to be between Gretzky or Lemuiex. Gretzky holds the most records but Lemeuix was the better all around Phisycal talent, he just had health issues.
Bobby Orr is considered by many hardcore hockey heads as being an innovator at the defensive position.
Gordie Howe had the longevity and held many records until Gretzky broke them.
Partick Roy is considered the greatest Goalie who ever lived, but Marty may surpass that.
I'd give the nod to Gretzky for the fact he had more assists than any other player had points. That and he's the record holder for athlete who holds the most records

Besides the obvious with Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin, the ones who have cemented a HOF career:

Martin Broduer
Jerome Iginla
Daniel Alfredsson
Chris Pronger
Joe Throton
Marian Hossa

Most: Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens
Least: Winnipeg/Pheonix, Toronto

1- Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
2- Evgeny Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
3- Steve Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
4- Henry Lunqvist, NY Rangers
5- Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
6- Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
7- Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
8- Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins
9- Shea Weber, Nashville Predators
10- Alexandre Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

Honorable: Eric Staal, Rick Nash, Marian Goborik, Drew Doubty, Pekka Rinne, Jonathan Quick, Zak Parise, Pavel Datsyuk, Jonathan Toews

1 point for tie in regualation, etra point for OT win or SO win.
Jagr is also a Hall of Famer

hateraid
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
I like the SENS and STARS.

If you ever wanna be entertained by hockey watch #65 for Ottawa, Erik Karlsson. Best offensive defenseman in a long time, gets the puck in own zone and skates past everyone to create scoring chance at other end. Takes risks on D to create offensive chances, and usually recovers because of his speed when his gamble fails.

Karlsson is different, but I wouldn't put him in top 10 in the league. He's more similar to Drew Doughty on impact on the ice, but Doughty is a better two way player. Karlsson I would put ahead of Zdeno or Weber as a better all around player. Karlsson is great one way but a liabilty on the other end.

But I still love his game.

hateraid
01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Jagr is also a Hall of Famer

that's right, can't forget him, although his current injury status may put him into retirment.

irondarts
01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Ovue is barely top 10. He hasn't been the same in a couple of years. Think allen Iverson type drop off
Although I have him in my top 10 still on pure talent
Ovie has had one down year (last year). Two years ago he had less goals but still had 85 points in 79 games, which is damn good.

One down year doesn't justify him going from the 2nd best player in the NHL to out of the Top 10, he's still Top 10, probably Top 7.

irondarts
01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Gonna try and guess those teams without googling.

Top row: Anaheim Ducks, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabers, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes
Second row after: Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Columbus (don't know their nickname, lol), Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings
Third row: Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, LA Kings, Minnesota (don't know their nicks), Montreal Canadiens.
Fourth Row: Nashville Predators, NJ Devils, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa Senators.
Fifth Row: Philadelphia Flyers, Phoenix Coyotes, Pittsburgh Penguins, St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks
Last Row: Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals, Winnipeg Jets

So I missed two nicknames(Columbus and Minnesota). Not bad for a non-NHL fan.
Correct on all of them.

Also, it's Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Also thanks for the updated logos!

Random questions more:

-Can someone describe the positions and their importances more?
-How many players on a team? How do rotations/lineups/subs work?
-How many black dudes in league?
-Is there any sort of US vs. Canada rivalry in the league?
-What are contracts like for players of elite, star, mid-level, average joe status?

Derka
01-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Random questions more:

-What are contracts like for players of elite, star, mid-level, average joe status?

Three Forwards...typically faster guys who puck handle and spend their time trying to score.
Two Defenders...bigger guys who stop Forwards.
One Goalie...stand in net, don't let puck in.

Forward lines sub in and out more frequently than defensive lines do because Forwards spend more time skating in crazy fast bursts and get tired quicker. How the lines are built is different depending on the coach's style and the players' strengths and weaknesses. They can rotate in and out differently at different times of the game depending on what you need in the moment.

One black in the League is PK Subban, defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens and he is a complete shit who no one likes. His kid brother is a goalie in the minors.

Not til the Olympics.

They're completely crazy. With the new CBA, I dunno how contracts have changed...but some if these guys are on 10+ year deals with pay scales that are front/back/middle loaded.

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks Derka :cheers:

Just watched last 5 minutes or so of 3rd period of Bruins vs. Hurricanes. Very tense ending, love the fast pace nature of the sport.

-Those two superstars on the Canucks are brothers?
-What's the longest contracts given out? I thought I saw something about a 20 year one once on sportscenter.

I'm probably going to the Stars-Blackhawks game over my spring break on 3/16 in dallas with a buddy of mine who is a NHL fanatic and Ducks fan.:banana:

I feel like a kid who just got a toy store for christmas..i wanna learn this shit good :rockon:

Derka
01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Go B's :cheers:

Yeah, the Sedin's are the NHL's resident twin sisters. That's right...sisters. Pure skill players, but both are complete cunnies; equivalent to a flopper in the NBA.

Alex Ovechkin signed a 13-year deal that's worth about $9.5 million per year...currently the richest contract in the NHL, I think. I remember the 20-year deal, but I forget who got it.

D-Rose
01-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Damn that's a crazy ass contract...

Oh and what are the different nationalities of players? Which are the best in certain (like skill or brute force) areas? What stereotypes do some nationalities carry for players?

EricGordon23
01-28-2013, 10:55 PM
There's 3 black guys that I know of PK subban, Joel ward and wayne Simmons.

irondarts
01-28-2013, 11:23 PM
There's a lot of NHL players who are mixed, such as:

Jarome Iginla (Clagary Flames)
Evander Kane (Winnipeg Jets)
Kyle Okposo (New York Islanders)
Jamal Mayers (Chicago Blackhawks)
Anthony Stewart (Los Angeles Kings)
Chris Stewart (St. Louis Blues)
Joel Ward (Washington Capitals)
Dustin Byfuglien (Winnipeg Jets)

Rose
01-28-2013, 11:29 PM

Yeah, the Sedin's are the NHL's resident twin sisters. That's right...sisters. Pure skill players, but both are complete cunnies; equivalent to a flopper in the NBA.

Alex Ovechkin signed a 13-year deal that's worth about $9.5 million per year...currently the richest contract in the NHL, I think. I remember the 20-year deal, but I forget who got it.
Two girls no cup.

:ohwell:

irondarts
01-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Random questions more:

NHL players don't get as much AAV as other sports, but they get very long deals.

The current richest deals in the NHL are:

Alex Ovechkin - 13 years/124 million
Shea Weber - 14 years/110 million
Ryan Suter - 13 years/98 million
Zach Parise - 13 years/98 million
Sidney Crosby - 12 years/104.4 million
Rick DiPietro - 15 years/67.5 million (Probably the worst NHL contract ever)
Ilya Kovalchuk - 15 years/100 million

The contract that paid the most per year in NHL history was Jaromir Jagr's 7 year/77 million dollar contract with the Capitals.

irondarts
01-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Gretzky got a 21 year/21 million dollar contract a long time ago, which is the longest contract ever.

You might be thinking of Ilya Kovalchuk's 17 year/102 million dollar contract that was voided and changed to a 15 year/100 million dollar contract.

Derka
01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Gretzky got a 21 year/21 million dollar contract a long time ago, which is the longest contract ever.

You might be thinking of Ilya Kovalchuk's 17 year/102 million dollar contract that was voided and changed to a 15 year/100 million dollar contract.

That's gotta be it because I remember the one I'm thinking of getting voided now. Thanks for clearing that one up.

pauk
01-29-2013, 01:32 AM

Ah ok, thanks.

hateraid
01-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Random questions more:

The forwards consist of a left wing, a center, and a right wing.
The defenseman are two stoppers or good quarterbacks on the back end.
Then the goalie, which I see as the most important division.

Teams run 4 lines they must submit pregame. That's 3 forwards per line, 2 defensemen per line for a total of 22 players including the goalie and the backup.

Teams are usually organized by the top line, essentially your best players at each position.
The second line is your second best players at each position.
the third line is usually a utility line, 2-way line-up.
Then the checking line which is usually out there to rough up other lines or stop the top line.
They generally stick to these lines, may mix them up on powerplays or penalty kills, but on the most part the lines skate together throughout the year.
Shifts usually last for one offensive zone chance per line, when the puck gets towards neutral zone or the opposing ends they usually line change, which could be anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute and a half. Lines may vary on the powerplay where you want 2 strong blueliners with decent shots and your best scorers. When you're short handed you want your best 2 way players to kill the penalty

The top rivalry is Canada and Russia. Although on the international stage US is emerging as a force. Internationally, the Juniors have garnered more success. We're a threat, but as much as Argentina is a threat in International basketball.

hateraid
01-29-2013, 01:49 AM
NHL players don't get as much AAV as other sports, but they get very long deals.

The current richest deals in the NHL are:

Alex Ovechkin - 13 years/124 million
Shea Weber - 14 years/110 million
Ryan Suter - 13 years/98 million
Zach Parise - 13 years/98 million
Sidney Crosby - 12 years/104.4 million
Rick DiPietro - 15 years/67.5 million (Probably the worst NHL contract ever)
Ilya Kovalchuk - 15 years/100 million

The contract that paid the most per year in NHL history was Jaromir Jagr's 7 year/77 million dollar contract with the Capitals.

The way these contract are set up though is pretty unique. The bulk of these contracts are paid in the top end of it. They slowly dindle down and you can send them to the minors with a minors contract in place.

D-Rose
01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks to all so far :cheers:

I'm sure I'll pick up on lots more as I watch more games :D

Bcogswell
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Looks like you've got the rest of your questions answered already.. :oldlol:

D-Rose
01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Looks like you've got the rest of your questions answered already.. :oldlol:
Alright, here's another couple...

-Who are favs to win Cup this year?
-What individual awards are there?
-How many guys on a roster?

Also, don't think anyone answered my question about what nationalities most players in the NHL are from.

hateraid
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM

The preseason favorites were The NY Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Vancouver Canucks, and the LA Kings. They all started slow from the gate though.
Right now the hottest teams are Chicago, San Jose, and Ottawa.
My bet right now would be St.Louis, but I got to stick to my Flyers. Although Hartnell is out :mad:

Hart Memorial - MVP
Vezina- Best Goalie
Norris- Best Defenseman
Calder- ROY
Lady Byng- Most Sportmanlike
Selke- Best Defensive Forward
Jack Adams- Coach of the Year

The rest are pretty wishy washy

22 including 2 goalies, although you have a minor league team to select from

Also, don't think anyone answered my question about what nationalities most players in the NHL are from.

My Guess would be Canadian

Bcogswell
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Alright, here's another couple...

- NHL is never clear cut like the NBA is for who the front runner for the championship is, however the Kings did win it last year.

- Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP decided by the media)
- Vezina Trophy (Best goalie decided by the GMs)
- James Norris Memorial Trophy (Best Defensemen decided by the media)
- Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year decided by the media)
- Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike combined with high level of play decided by the media)
- Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best defensive forward decided by the media)
- Jack Adams Trophy (Best coach decided by the media)
- Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy (Shows perseverance and sportsmanship decided by the media)
- Ted Lindsay Award (Most outstanding player decided by the players)
- Bridgestone Messier Leadership Award (shows leadership to his team both on and off the court decided by Messier)
- NHL Foundation Award (Enrich the lives of his community decided by the Media)
- General Manager of the Year (Decided on both GMs, executives, and media)

- There can be up to 23 players on the roster, however only 18 skaters and 2 goalies can be dressed for a game.

- Canadians make up the majority of the league, however there is still quite a few Americans, Russians, Swedish players and various other places.

irondarts
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM
It should also be mentioned that EA's NHL video game series is probably the best sports video game series around. I've been playing NHL '13 non stop lately.

hateraid
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
It should also be mentioned that EA's NHL video game series is probably the best sports video game series around. I've been playing NHL '13 non stop lately.

It puts everyone back at square one. I've been hooked

sunsfan1357
01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I enjoy watching the game, but I always feel like I don't know what I should be looking out for. I know the positions and stuff, but it seems like when they're out on the ice its just organized chaos and the only time they can actually get into formations and stuff is off of face offs and during power plays.

On a side note, I was supposed to go to a minor league hockey game tonight, but had to back out :(

Eat Like A Bosh
01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Having been paying attention to hockey lately, but how are the Detroit Red Wings doing this year? Who are the best players on that team? How are they looking so far this season and what are their expectations?

Another question, are there currently any active black players in the NHL? If so, please send me an ESPN link.

irondarts
01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Having been paying attention to hockey lately, but how are the Detroit Red Wings doing this year? Who are the best players on that team? How are they looking so far this season and what are their expectations?

Another question, are there currently any active black players in the NHL? If so, please send me an ESPN link.
Lots of black and mixed players in the NHL, most notably Wayne Simmonds (http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/3817/wayne-simmonds), P.K. Subban (http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/4044/pk-subban), Evander Kane (http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/5251/evander-kane) and Jarome Iginla (http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/401/jarome-iginla)

Here's a complete list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_players_of_black_African_descen t)

The Red Wings have started out OK, they're 3-2-1 so far. Their best player's are Pavel Datsyuk (One of the best players in the world) and Henrik Zetterberg.

Styles p
01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
i learned all the rules playing a the nhl video games. i didn't start getting into hockey till last season but i'm hooked now already been to 2 flyers games this season.

hateraid
01-31-2013, 10:41 PM
i learned all the rules playing a the nhl video games. i didn't start getting into hockey till last season but i'm hooked now already been to 2 flyers games this season.

I love our team. Slow start but I think we'll get it back. Anything can happen in a shortened season. Although Pronger is probably done for his career and Hartnell being out for 2 months is going to hurt.

Styles p
01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
I love our team. Slow start but I think we'll get it back. Anything can happen in a shortened season. Although Pronger is probably done for his career and Hartnell being out for 2 months is going to hurt.
yeah something must be wrong with giroux he hasn't looked to sharp. they're putting briere in the first line so hopefully that brings a spark to the offense. honestly our best player has been bryz who woulda thunk?

Styles p
01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
and isn't there a amnesty thing in the new deal? why don't they just amnesty pronger i highly doubt he'll ever play again.

D-Rose
02-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Hawks are 6-0-1, loving watching them. They play Vancouver tomorrow night, I'm glad the streams I'm using are working great.

We play the Sharks 3 times in the next 2 weeks, will be interesting to see!

D-Rose
02-01-2013, 12:35 AM
First NHL avatar :D

NuggetsFan
02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Avalanche actually looked like a capable team tonight, well in the 3rd period atleast. John Mitchell and Pap have been big pickups so far. Had expectations for P.A because he was going to be playing with Duchene but Mitchell with 4 goals already looking good, had like 5 all of last year.

D-Rose
02-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Damn, just saw Hawks beat Flames 3-2. Hossa scored with 2 seconds left in the 3rd period! Then Kane sealed it in the shootout. Freaking love it.

Brujesino
02-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Watching some Hockey trying to get into it.Watched the Sharks 3rd period and OT there going into overtime.

Exciting stuff

Bcogswell
02-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Damn, just saw Hawks beat Flames 3-2. Hossa scored with 2 seconds left in the 3rd period! Then Kane sealed it in the shootout. Freaking love it.

Glad to see you enjoying the sport! :cheers:

D-Rose
02-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Glad to see you enjoying the sport! :cheers:

Thanks, bro. I love that it's so much more fast paced than even basketball or football on offense. Everything happens fast and it's tense. Not to mention the game can change fast. Like, I can't believe Hossa scored with 2 seconds left after the Flames had just scored with 30 seconds left!

Bcogswell
02-03-2013, 02:51 AM

Thanks, bro. I love that it's so much more fast paced than even basketball or football on offense. Everything happens fast and it's tense. Not to mention the game can change fast. Like, I can't believe Hossa scored with 2 seconds left after the Flames had just scored with 30 seconds left!

Its such an intense and unpredictable game. You will find yourself watching games and just cringing every time a certain player on the other team touches the puck. While even the misses/saves can be just as exciting as the goal itself.

Definitely a great exciting sport!

Skywalker
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Spezza out til April talk about BUZZ KILL.

Turris is achieving his potential now though.

Bcogswell
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
We actually have an official NHL 2013 season thread. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286991) Please visit there.

Just bumped it.

johndeeregreen
02-03-2013, 02:09 PM

You're going to want to go watch games. IMO the sport translates well to television, but whereas the TV focuses on maybe 1/3 of the ice at a time, in person is when you really start to realize how fast and explosive of a game it is. Seeing the entire ice can also help you get an appreciation for the game and you see a lot that you don't on TV. If you think it looks fast on TV, you'll be shocked at how quick it looks in person.

Not even just NHL hockey; Chicago has an AHL team (one step below NHL, they are ironically the Canucks' affiliate) as well as a USHL team (junior hockey - up to age 20). Those games will be quality and entertaining in their own right as well.

Styles p
02-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Damn Zac Rinaldo just destroyed BJ Crombeen. Rinaldo has been in a fight almost every game so far and i can't remember him losing any of them.

D-Rose
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Do most teams use a two goalie system? I've seen the Hawks switch around a lot with Emery and Crawford within and between games.

Bcogswell
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Do most teams use a two goalie system? I've seen the Hawks switch around a lot with Emery and Crawford within and between games.

If they have a good backup they will tend to play them like that, however the frequency has probably increased because of the shortened season. Teams need to get both goalies prepared for the playoffs just incase anything happens to the other goalie.