PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies are trading Rudy Gay to Raptors in 3-team deal

Pages : [1] 2

ZHAKIDD532
01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

The Grizzlies receive point guard Jose Calderon as part of the deal, and will route Calderon's $10.5 million expiring contract to the Detroit Pistons for a package that includes forwards Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye, league sources told Y! Sports. The Raptors also sent forward Ed Davis and a second-round pick to the Grizzlies. Memphis sent center Hamed Haddadi to the Raptors. Gay, 26, is averaging 17.2 points and 5.9 rebounds. Yahoo

Under new owner Robert Para, Memphis has been desperate to unload contracts for the short- and long-term. In Prince, the Grizzlies get a respected, if not aging, small forward who'll give them considerable savings over the $37 million owed Gay the next two seasons. Yahoo

Detroit clears the final two years, $15 million left on Prince's deal, and moves nearly $25 million under the salary cap beginning with free agency in July. The Pistons will then be in the market for two young perimeter players to build around their promising young core of Greg Monroe, center Andre Drummond and guard Brandon Knight. Yahoo

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

-----

The Grizzlies are losing a great player if this happens. I can't condone this. So idiotic.

Batz
01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
There is no god.

Mr. NBA
01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
- @WojYahooNBA

The Grizzlies are losing a great player if this happens. I can't condone this. So idiotic.
This is idiotic. If people think Rudy is was a terrible iso player, wait till they see ZBO trying to post up every play. ZBO oftens try to do too much when he is called upon to be the primary offensive player.

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
:facepalm

We really getting rid of Davis now ?

Real Men Wear Green
01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Seems like a cheap price to pay for a good scorer and athlete.

longtime lurker
It's the rare NBA trade that's horrible for both teams :roll:

Reverend Hoops
Memphis gave up when they got rid of their entire bench.
Might as well go all out.

nerds
01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
So is this deal a vote of no confidence for DeRozan?

ZeN
01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
It sucks to see a player that can contribute like Gay being traded to a team that isnt going to contend.

Possibly the worst place for Gay to be traded at the moment considering hes on a contending Grizz.

qrich
01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Clips need to jump in.

Butler to Memphis, Bledsoe to Toronto.

Ross and Calderon to the Clips.

:bowdown: :D

niko
01-30-2013, 06:19 PM
WHo is the third team?

Flagrant 2
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
WHo is the third team?
Lakers.

Steve Blake for Marc Gasol. Book it.

niko
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Going online now: ESPN sources say Grizzlies and Raps have deal in place to swap Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis and Jose Calderon

Change thread title.

flipogb
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
please happen, i just enjoy trades no matter who and what team. keeps things interesting

Batz
Going online now: ESPN sources say Grizzlies and Raps have deal in place to swap Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis and Jose Calderon

Change thread title.
ESPN Sources?

... Really?

bagelred
WHo is the third team?

Probably the Rockets. Morey will get 17 different assets in the process.

niko
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
ESPN Sources?

... Really?
yes i apoligize. you're right.

eliteballer
01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Seems like a cheap price to pay for a good scorer and athlete.

Look at his contract and get back to us.

Derka
What a stupid-ass trade.

Clippersfan86
People saying Derozan is a goner aren't remembering that he came into this league as a SG and will be fine there. Calderon+Derozan+Gay will be a SICK trio of wing players IMO. Davis is a nice young player but they seem to be clearing the way for Valuncunias. Bargs should be moved to PF again IMO since he can't rebound worth a shit.

Raptors win this trade in a landslide. Davis won't get hardly any playing time behind Zbo and Gasol anyways to make an impact.

SilkkTheShocker
01-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Grizzlies get absolutely a.ss ****ed in this deal :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

ZeN
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Calderon to Memphis? Really thats what they are gonna get for gay? lol

R.H.C.P.
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
More from Marc Stein's twitter:

Sources say deal will morph to include third team to take Calderon, w/Detroit at front of line to land Spaniard after chasing him all season

Third team not yet in stone but Pistons have had interest in Calderon all season & have two SFs to help MEM fill Gay void: Prince & Maggette

Rose
01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
I dislike the new ownership alot.

Oh okay, having Tayshaun instead works.

Clippersfan86
Grizzlies are trading for backups basically. Davis and Calderon both have better players in front of them in Memphis :facepalm . Not sure what the hell they are doing.

Grinder
People saying Derozan is a goner aren't remembering that he came into this league as a SG and will be fine there. Calderon+Derozan+Gay will be a SICK trio of wing players IMO. Davis is a nice young player but they seem to be clearing the way for Valuncunias. Bargs should be moved to PF again IMO since he can't rebound worth a shit.

Raptors win this trade in a landslide. Davis won't get hardly any playing time behind Zbo and Gasol anyways to make an impact.

Calderon is a point guard, not a wing player, and he's one of the players who's going to be moved. Bargnani has been playing PF all season.

Davis will get all of Speights' minutes and is a better player with more upside. The Grizzlies save a ton of money, get a good young big man, and will probably get some decent bench pieces for Calderon.

Great trade for the Raps. Gay/DeRozan will be a terror in transition and Ross will be able to continue to develop off the bench.

JD_TO
01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Grizzlies are trading for backups basically. Davis and Calderon both have better players in front of them in Memphis :facepalm . Not sure what the hell they are doing.
Because the NBA isn't just about playing basketball there is a business end to it as well

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 06:28 PM
MEMPHIS gets: Ed Davis, Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye, 2nd rounder (from Toronto)

TORONTO gets: Rudy Gay, Hamed Haddadi

DETROIT gets: Jose Calderon

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8898673/sources-memphis-grizzlies-agree-principle-trade-rudy-gay-toronto-raptors

The Memphis Grizzlies and Toronto Raptors have agreed in principle on a trade that will send leading scorer Rudy Gay to the Raptors, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Grizzlies will acquire forward Ed Davis and veteran guard Jose Calderon from the Raptors and then move Calderon on to a third team to ultimately make this a three-team deal.

The Detroit Pistons, sources said, are one of the prime options to take on Calderon, having pursued the Spanish floor leader all season.

The Grizzlies want a small forward out of the trade and Detroit has two believed to be available: Tayshaun Prince and Corey Maggette. But Memphis, sources said, is talking to at least one other team about taking on Calderon and is expected to receive a second-round pick from Toronto as part of the deal.

The Raptors, sources said, are expected to take on Grizzlies reserve center Hamed Haddadi in addition to Gay.

The Dallas Mavericks are the other most likely landing spot for Calderon, but sources said Dallas is resistant to parting with Vince Carter, Memphis' prime target on the Mavs' roster.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/296744378439983106

Goes on to say that Jose Calderon will go to a third team. Detroit is the most likely team with Tayshaun Prince or Corey Maggette coming back to Memphis.

Also says that another prime landing spot for Calderon could be Dallas, but Memphis wants Vince Carter while Dallas doesn't want to part with him.

R.H.C.P.
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Some more...

ESPN sources say Dallas is other prime landing spot for Calderon, but I'm told Mavs reluctant to part with SF that Grizz want: Vince Carter

Purch
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Prince finally leaving Detroit and going to a good team would be long overdue

brandonislegend
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Calderon is a point guard, not a wing player, and he's one of the players who's going to be moved. Bargnani has been playing PF all season.

Davis will get all of Speights' minutes and is a better player with more upside. The Grizzlies save a ton of money, get a good young big man, and will probably get some decent bench pieces for Calderon.

Great trade for the Raps. Gay/DeRozan will be a terror in transition and Ross will be able to continue to develop off the bench.

Darrell Arthur will get speights minutes now that he is healthy.

dirkdiggler41
What will the Grizz lineup look like? They dont got a okei backup SF?

Batz
Looks like Calderon will end up a Piston:
There is a God, and he is an insensitive bastard child.

bagelred
It's a good thing owners had that lockout to help out small owners :roll: Trading Gay for nothing....is ironically....very gay.

Clippersfan86

I forgot Calderon was going out for a sec. In that case they WILL likely move either Ross or Derozan for a PG. My point was Toronto actually gets better, Memphis gets two backups. You mentioning them saving a ton of money is exactly where they are making a mistake. Teams like Memphis who are close to perennial contender... decide to blow up their bench and even trade their 2nd best, maybe best all around player to shed cap.

Mr. NBA
01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Because the NBA isn't just about playing basketball there is a business end to it as well
The business side of this decision would kick in after the season. We arent even in Lux Tax so why the heck is this going down??? Dam CF86, I was hoping for a Clippers Grizz rivalry to develop but we may not even see each other again in the playoffs.

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 06:32 PM
What will the Grizz lineup look like? They dont got a okei backup SF?

They'll use Calderon to get him whether it's Prince, Maggette, VC or someone else.

nightprowler10
Not sure about the numbers, but that's a good trade for Toronto.

NoGunzJustSkillz
so i should take ed davis out of my lineups for tonight?

Sarcastic
Raptors are getting Gay.

brandonislegend
How many threads do we need? There is already one with 3 pages.

bigt
I feel for the Memphis fans here, they have such a great team but the ownership seem intent on mediocrity as long as it doesn't cost them too much in salaries

Rose
The business side of this decision would kick in after the season. We arent even in Lux Tax so why the heck is this going down??? Dam CF86, I was hoping for a Clippers Grizz rivalry to develop but we may not even see each other again in the playoffs.
there's simply no reason.

Terrible new ownership.

avonbarksdale
01-30-2013, 06:33 PM
lowry
derozan
gay
bargnani
jv

bagelred
For those of you thinking Raptors making a mistake....are you insane? Rudy Gay is what...26 years old? He's a player that makes them better now and a piece to build on. What do you want them to do? Keep tanking year after year and pray for a good lottery pick? And we know free agents won't go there......this is a good deal.

chips93

so this is entirely about saving money?

not even avoiding luxury tax, and the restrictions that come with it, just purely to further lower payroll?

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 06:34 PM

I was hoping for the same. I think you guys got fu**ed hard by the new owner which is a shame. The Grizzlies are a team that just needed a couple small changes to be perennial WCF contenders yet the jackass Pena comes in and breaks it up immediately to save money? Like you said the Grizzlies aren't in luxury tax anyways and even if they were slightly over, who gives a shit. That's the price you pay for championships.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 06:34 PM
lowry
derozan
gay
bargnani
jv

Yea... sick ass team. Also got Ross who has good upside. Gay brings a bit more balance because he's a capable defender and rebounder for his position.

qrich
01-30-2013, 06:35 PM
If they swap out and get Prince, I guess its slightly better. Davis can be the PF of the future with Marc and Prince can just slide in at the three. Should've kept OJ if they were going to deal Gay though.

k0kakw0rld
Nooooooooooooooooooooo :facepalm

Grinder
I forgot Calderon was going out for a sec. In that case they WILL likely move either Ross or Derozan for a PG. My point was Toronto actually gets better, Memphis gets two backups. You mentioning them saving a ton of money is exactly where they are making a mistake. Teams like Memphis who are close to perennial contender... decide to blow up their bench and even trade their 2nd best, maybe best all around player to shed cap.

They just signed Derozan to a huge extension a few months ago, there's no way they're moving him. They also have said Ross isn't going to be traded. I'm not saying it's a smart move for Memphis but at the end of the day it's a business and some owners aren't entirely concerned about winning at all costs.

Darrell Arthur will get speights minutes now that he is healthy.

Arthur is the 3rd big and Z-Bo's primary backup and Davis will be the 4th big and Marc's primary backup. Both Speights and Arthur played together a good bit.

It's hard to believe Detroit will give up Prince for Calderon but that would be an awesome trade for Memphis.

G-train
01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
This is a deal that removes Gay's terrible contract and avoids millions in luxury tax in the future.
I dont mind it at all from an organisational and big picture point of view, would have liked to see a bit more scoring coming back to Memphis though, unless Pondexter is better than advertised.

Rose
so this is entirely about saving money?

not even avoiding luxury tax, and the restrictions that come with it, just purely to further lower payroll?
Yep.

The cavs trade lowered them a bit below the tax. The rationale here is gonna be will Ed Davis!!! Yeah terrific, except he'd be the second big off the bench. And when all three(Zbo, gasol, and DA) are healthy, there's rarely any minutes for the other bigs.

And Calderon doesn't help at all since...he's a backup too. And Conley rarely misses time/gets into foul trouble. And wroten has looked at least decent in his minutes.

Pistol Pete
For those of you thinking Raptors making a mistake....are you insane? Rudy Gay is what...26 years old? He's a player that makes them better now and a piece to build on. What do you want them to do? Keep tanking year after year and pray for a good lottery pick? And we know free agents won't go there......this is a good deal.

I'll just leave this here. Rudy Gay is a bigger Demar Derozan, solves nothing, contract is awful, and we give up arguably our best young player in Ed Davis. I assume this ushers Bargnani back to playing the 4 spot. Toronto will be a solid 6-8 seed where they'll get dominated by the elite of the East until it's time to rebuild again. This is a short sighted move meant to save Colangelo's job.

Cross posted from the Raptors forum: If this trade goes through, this franchise will have officially murdered my soul. So I leave you, gifs, just gifs to capture the entire process.

*Raptors are pursuing Rudy Gay*

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr9nsvAwXz1ql9l8xo1_250.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me0s4pOgwC1rrc78e.gif

*Raptors are nearing a deal to acquire Rudy Gay for Jose Calderon and Ed Davis*

http://replygif.net/i/311

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/Melissa_Cullen/Funny%20gifs/gifbincolinfarrel.gif

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/WeeBey.gif

*FUTURE: Official: Raptors Acquire Rudy Gay for Davis, Calderon*

NOTE: As I make this post, it seems to be official that the Raptors have dealt Calderon and Davis for Gay and Haddadi....

http://courtsideconvo.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wrestler_angry_gif.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmazhfgtMJ1qgm4ji.gif

*MEANWHILE IN MEMPHIS*

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7610/aahhhhhh.gif

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p281/ihniwiad/funny/dancing/5oxy5k.gif

Finally, if you're reading this Bryan Colangelo. Please, Please for the love of God:

http://files.sharenator.com/GTFO_Ari_Gold-s312x176-220881.gif

Rake2204
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
The idea of Detroit acquiring Jose Calderon is interesting to me. I wonder if that'd lead them to shifting Brandon Knight to shooting guard.

flipogb
hopefully Prince does go to Memphis, he was too dumb to sign with a good team but now he will land on one

JD_TO
Only one raptor fan here thinks that tanking is the only way to build a team. When players develop they are obviously going to have to get better. With the exception of OKC completely building your team via the draft is very difficult. Just look at all of the top 7 picks for the past 10 years not all of them are studs some aren't even in the league anymore.

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like Tayshaun Prince is the main target for Memphis. Boston is also in the mix.

bagelred
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Only one raptor fan here thinks that tanking is the only way to build a team. When players develop they are obviously going to have to get better. With the exception of OKC completely building your team via the draft is very difficult. Just look at all of the top 7 picks for the past 10 years not all of them are studs some aren't even in the league anymore.

OKC was like hitting the lottery. Everything went absolutely right. They got really high picks and struck gold miracously each time. How often does that happen?

Not saying getting draft picks is bad, but you have a chance to get a very good young talent in Gay, why not do it? What do they need cap space for? For who? Who's going there? :confusedshrug:

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 06:45 PM

What position do you think Bargnani and DeRozan have been playing?

Gay and DeRozan mean two guys who aren't especially good shooters. I'd rather keep Ross, especially considering the contracts. And I'd rather keep Davis. I don't see why Memphis is taking him, unless he's the backup C. He's a legit starter and an excellent backup. He'd probably go to the third team.

The Raptors can win this, in a landslide...what Memphis is doing is atrocious. At least ask for Ross and play him at the 3 and get a guy who doesn't need the ball and is an elite shooter...plus he's athletic and can play defense. Hell, play Bargnani at the 3 for lol's. Maybe he'd do well. But for this to be worth it for them, they better focus on Lowry (I guess they will, with Calderon being traded) and RUNNING. They have to amnesty Bargnani. He and Gay are a bad mix. And they should send DeRozan out...unless they get another shooter in the starting lineup. The ball has GOT to be in Lowry's hands. Let him RUN.

DStebb716
How many threads do we need? There is already one with 3 pages.

Experts say at least six threads is a healthy dosage for this particular medicine.

longtime lurker
Lol so the Raptors trade a promising big man in Ed Davis and keep Bargani? :oldlol: I'm convinced he's the illegitimate son of Bryan Colangelo there's no other explanation.

Reverend Hoops
01-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Grizz is done and Raptors could make the playoffs.

CLTHornets4eva
01-30-2013, 06:46 PM
This is a great trade for Toronto. Call them the Rapetors because they just owned the Grizzlies.

I think this could be a similar trade to the Harden trade last offseason. Harden is better and a bit younger but Toronto had to give up less.

Rose
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
OKC was like hitting the lottery. Everything went absolutely right. They got really high picks and struck gold miracously each time. How often does that happen?

Not saying getting draft picks is bad, but you have a chance to get a very good young talent in Gay, why not do it? What do they need cap space for? For who? Who's going there? :confusedshrug:
Your favorite Knick of all time, Landry Fields.:bowdown:

and they get dibs on any Euro that hits free agency. I hear Vesely has already packed his bags.

NattyPButter
01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Detroit must be doing this to clear some cap space since Calderon is off the books next year. Team already has Knight, Will Bynum and Stuckey. His mins gonna be short. Would love to see him and Knight on the floor together though.

red1
ed davis shipped out before scrubnani?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdptiiVApP1r4wh4co1_500.gif

R.H.C.P.
So the 3-team trade looks to be...

Memphis gets Tayshaun Prince, Ed Davis
Toronto gets Rudy Gay, Hamed Hadaddi
Detroit gets Jose Calderon

red1
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbqk0s3ar01riae2mo1_500.gif

R.I.P.
01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
How does Dallas trade Calderon for Carter. That

DStebb716
Grizz is done and Raptors could make the playoffs.

Pump the breaks. They're 5.5 games out right now and need to jump three teams to get there. Grizz are still a playoff team.

SilkkTheShocker
So the 3-team trade looks to be...

Memphis gets F.ucked in the ass
Toronto gets Rudy Gay, Hamed Hadaddi
Detroit gets Jose Calderon

Fixed

bagelred
Your favorite Knick of all time, Landry Fields.:bowdown:

and they get dibs on any Euro that hits free agency. I hear Vesely has already packed his bags.

Landry Fields, baby. :bowdown:

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]How does Dallas trade Calderon for Carter. That

KempSonics
Pistons will probably try to include Maggette instead of Prince.

Reverend Hoops
Pump the breaks. They're 5.5 games out right now and need to jump three teams to get there. Grizz are still a playoff team.

I should of said done as a contender in the West.

Clippersfan86
I haven't watched Toronto more than 3 times this year but I thought Bargs was playing center when he played himself out of the starting 5?

Qwyjibo
01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Sweet! A mediocre roster in cap hell and a first round sweep at the hands of Miami just to get that ever important mystical "winning experience"! What a bright future the Raptors have. :facepalm

If Colangelo is retained beyond this season, I'm out. I rip up and piss all over my imaginary Raptors fan card.

knickscity
01-30-2013, 06:55 PM
This is Sterns vision of spreading talent.

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 06:56 PM

They are not going to trade either of those guys for a PG when they have an all-star on the bench.

If they swap out and get Prince, I guess its slightly better. Davis can be the PF of the future with Marc and Prince can just slide in at the three. Should've kept OJ if they were going to deal Gay though.

I don't see them trading Prince now...especially not for Calderon. They'll be in the playoffs next year. They can use him.

R.I.P.
01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Why would Memphis even consider that? They want VC, but not THAT bad.

Kaman is expiring. They already have Gasol, Randolph and Arthur. Does it really matter whether they get Kaman or Davis?

Haymaker
01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I'll be happy for Prince if this goes down. Memphis will be alright.

el gringos
01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Lol so the Raptors trade a promising big man in Ed Davis and keep Bargani? :oldlol: I'm convinced he's the illegitimate son of Bryan Colangelo there's no other explanation.
Bargnani, kleiza, fields
For
Amare, James white, brewer

k0kakw0rld
01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Raptors are getting Gay.
:applause:

Chicago Brawls
01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
An inconsistent backcourt plus an unproven frontcourt plus Gay equals Atlanta Hawks territory for the years to come...

Well played Canada. :applause:

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
MEMPHIS gets: Ed Davis, Tayshaun Prince, third piece (either Austin Daye or 2nd round pick)

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Bargnani, kleiza, fields
For
Amare, James white, brewer

You're still on that train? Give it up. The Knicks wouldn't consider this sack of garbage.

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Kaman is expiring. They already have Gasol, Randolph and Arthur. Does it really matter whether they get Kaman or Davis?

There are other players on a team besides the 5 starters... Ed Davis is young and inexpensive... And under control for longer.

2LeTTeRS
01-30-2013, 07:07 PM

No reason to trade a guy whose value is currently negative considering his contract, health, and production.

Bcogswell
01-30-2013, 07:07 PM
I haven't watched Toronto more than 3 times this year but I thought Bargs was playing center when he played himself out of the starting 5?

Nope, hes been at PF all year.

R.I.P.
01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
What I don

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Nope, hes been at PF all year.

Was he a C last year and maybe that's why I'm getting confused? I know two of the times I watched.. Val was injured so Bargs was guarding the center, Davis was playing PF, Amir sometimes played center.

R.I.P.
01-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Was he a C last year and maybe that's why I'm getting confused? I know two of the times I watched.. Val was injured so Bargs was guarding the center, Davis was playing PF, Amir sometimes played center.

:no: Bargs don

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Vince Carter to Memphis? Dallas should want to get rid of his contract and focus on keeping Mayo on the court. That's a potential part of your future and you should be giving him back that confidence he had earlier in the season.

But on the Grizzlies...starter or off the bench. At SF? That's a great pickup...assuming he isn't a piece of shit.

He played PF last year too.

DStebb716
01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Deal is done and I posted the details in OP.

qrich
Looks like Calderon will be a Piston with the Grizz getting Prince & Daye

Clippersfan86
It's official with Prince going to Memphis, Calderon to the Pistons. Memphis didn't do that bad but it's neutral at best considering Prince at his age is not as good as Gay. Grizzlies basically wanted to go in the Clippers mold with these last two trades and try to stack the bench.

embersyc
01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
ESPN.com is reporting Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye go to Memphis, Detroit gets Calderon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8898673/sources-memphis-grizzlies-agree-principle-trade-rudy-gay-toronto-raptors

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Vince Carter to Memphis? Dallas should want to get rid of his contract and focus on keeping Mayo on the court. That's a potential part of your future and you should be giving him back that confidence he had earlier in the season.

But on the Grizzlies...starter or off the bench. At SF? That's a great pickup...assuming he isn't a piece of shit.

He played PF last year too.

Where you start doesn't mean that's your position. Position per metrics is determined by who you guard and who is guarding you. As I said in every instance I watched the Raptors... Davis guards/is guarded by the PF, Bargs guards/is guarded by the C... therefor he's playing center.

Whoah10115
Wow...I was wrong on Prince...all this time and they finally trade him...as they're getting good, lol.

I'd go after Vince Carter tho...I can't begin to understand why Dallas wouldn't have given up Carter for Calderon. Such an easy decision.

So is Detroit going to start Knight at SG? Or Calderon off the bench, when Bynum is already there? Or are they looking to trade him or cut him?

hawkfan
Looks like Calderon will be a Piston with the Grizz getting Prince & Daye

Last year, Dumars traded Gordon for Maggette's expirer.
Now he trades Prince's contract for Calderon's expirer.

Good salary dumps by Dumars.

Now send Calderon to Atlanta for Harris (expirer) and a 2nd round pick.

ThickassGlasses
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
It's official with Prince going to Memphis, Calderon to the Pistons. Memphis didn't do that bad but it's neutral at best considering Prince at his age is not as good as Gay. Grizzlies basically wanted to go in the Clippers mold with these last two trades and try to stack the bench.

How in God's green Earth did the Grizzlies go in any mold except for Scrooge's?

Stacked the bench? They blew up their bench.
They now traded Gay for a bag of peanuts and Ed Davis who will be coming off the bench, assuming they don't Trade Zach Randolph for Royce White here in a couple of hours. (Or the best available armchair Point Guard, whoever is cheaper).

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Where you start doesn't mean that's your position. Position per metrics is determined by who you guard and who is guarding you. As I said in every instance I watched the Raptors... Davis guards/is guarded by the PF, Bargs guards/is guarded by the C... therefor he's playing center.

That's not quite how it works. One, I don't know why Bargnani would get guarded by a center. And I don't remember many instances of Bargnani guarding the center last year. This year, Davis is on the bench and the rookie is starting and most certainly guarding every center.

SilkkTheShocker
01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
When do you see the Grizzlies trading Randolph for Earl Clark and Jordan Hill?

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:21 PM

They now traded Gay for a bag of peanuts and Ed Davis who will be coming off the bench, assuming they don't Trade Zach Randolph for Royce White here in a couple of hours.

I agree Memphis loses the trade but with Prince they don't lose it AS bad.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
That's not quite how it works. One, I don't know why Bargnani would get guarded by a center. And I don't remember many instances of Bargnani guarding the center last year. This year, Davis is on the bench and the rookie is starting and most certainly guarding every center.

I told you. Two of the three times I watched the Raptors, Val was injured so it was Bargs and Davis starting.

ThickassGlasses
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
When do you see the Grizzlies trading Randolph for Earl Clark and Jordan Hill?

That's too much talent in return, they'd probably trade him for Sacre and Duhon.

gasolina
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
regardless if its Davis or Daye I like this trade. Def better than getting Dudley.

Allen + Prince is godly on D

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
MEMPHIS gets: Ed Davis, Tayshaun Prince, third piece (either Austin Daye or 2nd round pick)

I'd rather have Daye than the pick.

hawkfan
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I agree Memphis loses the trade but with Prince they don't lose it AS bad.

How much does Prince have left in the tank?
If he's up to top level, still a good defensive player, but yea, losing a huge amount on offense.
But this is really a salary dump.
And more to get Ed Davis, so eventually they will move Randolph.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Another thing is the Raptors screw OKC (probably intentionally) because their pick likely won't even be lottery most likely if Gay meshes. They will probably be a borderline playoff team by season end in the 9 or 10 seed. Then again draft sucks anyways so w/e.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
How much does Prince have left in the tank?
If he's up to top level, still a good defensive player, but yea, losing a huge amount on offense.
But this is really a salary dump.
And more to get Ed Davis, so eventually they will move Randolph.

I agree it's about money and I think they are starting a full blown rebuild with Randolph likely on the way out as well in the near future.

SilkkTheShocker
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
That's too much talent in return, they'd probably trade him for Sacre and Duhon.

True. Memphis would probably kick in another 1st rounder :oldlol:

iDunk
I don't see the big deal people are making. IMO Grizzlies are a better team after this trade.

Prince fits into the defensive scheme of the Grizzlies, Gay didn't fit in with Randolph for some reason.

Davis is a great future PF & a nice Speights replacement.

Daye is a good shooter & deserves minutes in this league.

Clippersfan86
According to Raptors writer Calderon was just escorted by the team staff out of the locker room. Done deal obviously :applause: .

R.I.P.
01-30-2013, 07:27 PM

They now traded Gay for a bag of peanuts and Ed Davis who will be coming off the bench, assuming they don't Trade Zach Randolph for Royce White here in a couple of hours. (Or the best available armchair Point Guard, whoever is cheaper).
That

Bosnian Sajo
01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Looks like a done deal, what a shame...Memphis is such a good team, they just needed to keep adding parts to the team...why trade your best player?

red1
01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
I just realized we have derozan gay and ross on the team oh shit we gonna be on espn highlights

Derka
01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Looks like a done deal, what a shame...Memphis is such a good team, they just needed to keep adding parts to the team...why trade your best player?

Owners be scared of luxury taxes.

ThickassGlasses
01-30-2013, 07:32 PM

Gasol is clearly the best player.

There is no problem with trading Rudy Gay for a more team oriented shooter (versus an iso specialist that kills ball movement). The problem is their lack of getting anything worthy in return. I don't think a single player outside of Pondexter on the team can shoot, and their bench is no better than it was 2 weeks ago with Speights and Ellington.

hawkfan
01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
According to Raptors writer Calderon was just escorted by the team staff out of the locker room. Done deal obviously :applause: .

They threw him out? Sounds shabby.
"We'll send you your stuff, buddy. Just get out."

flipogb
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't see the big deal people are making. IMO Grizzlies are a better team after this trade.

Prince fits into the defensive scheme of the Grizzlies, Gay didn't fit in with Randolph for some reason.

Davis is a great future PF & a nice Speights replacement.

Daye is a good shooter & deserves minutes in this league.

I wouldn't say better but rather different instead. I think they will be just as good record wise but rely more on defense

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
They threw him out? Sounds shabby.
"We'll send you your stuff, buddy. Just get out."

I assume they were escorting him to a meeting, not kicking him off the property. As sad as that is it would be kinda hilarious though if footage was released.

iDunk
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
This trade makes them better.

Gasol & Randolph >>>> Gay

Gay is an inefficient chucker. He's got the clutch gene, but he's inefficient & overpaid.

InspiredLebowski
01-30-2013, 07:37 PM
man, Colangelo is terrible

Droid101
01-30-2013, 07:37 PM
If they move Calderon for Prince and Daye, this is a good deal.

boozehound
01-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Prince finally leaving Detroit and going to a good team would be long overdue
they will be sorely disappointed in him. Dude is done as a glue guy/defender.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Has he been that poor this year?

Bosnian Sajo
This trade makes them better.

Gasol & Randolph >>>> Gay

Gay is an inefficient chucker. He's got the clutch gene, but he's inefficient & overpaid.

Who's gonna shoot the ball at the end of the game, Zbo? Gay being on the floor made the defense spread and left Gasol and Zbo with more space down low. Now with Prince as their starting sf teams don't really have to worry about him on offense, at least not like they did with Gay.

flipogb

I question if Prince even cares to do well on a good team,he did decide to stay on the Pistons

Godzuki
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Gay is having a bad year with his shot and i don't think thats going to change. he has a ton of talent but he's a dumb chucker too often. it seems like he could get much better high% shots but he likes to chuck for some reason. i don't like Gay's game and decision making at all, but i can't deny his talent and athleticism with his length.

hawkfan
01-30-2013, 07:43 PM

How good is Austin Daye?
Starter? Sixth man? All-Star?
Where is he at?

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:45 PM
I've always been a fan of Daye, although I'm no expert on him. When I've watched him he looks like a very very versatile wing player who can do a bit of everything offensively.

InspiredLebowski
Daye's awful. he'll never be heard from again.

Bosnian Sajo
How good is Austin Daye?
Where is he at?

A disappointment, is what he is.

Cermet
01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
So what the fck are they going to do with the PF spot ? Bargniani will be traded and somebody has to take his spot. That was supposed to be Davis.
And they would have shit load of wing player. Landry, Tross, Anderson and lets not forget Kleiza who btw is pretty good when on the floor.

Qwyjibo
01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Why do people think Bargnani is going to be traded? What team on this Earth actually wants him and his contract?

Burgz V2
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
called this when the Speights trade happened, didn't know Memphis actually had the balls to do it though :eek:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288159

Probably gonna take on a large expirer, need the cap space to make a move. Calderon+Bargs for Rudy and fillers? One can only dream.

too bad it was Ed and not Bargnani, hopefully takes his primo pasta ass before the deadline. I'll take ANYTHING.

InspiredLebowski
01-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Why do people think Bargnani is going to be traded? What team on this Earth actually wants him and his contract?There's a Pacers fan that think he's Dirk "if he could just get out of the bad situation in Toronto."

Just sayin, there're idiots out there, only takes one with an NBA job.

boozehound
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
So what the fck are they going to do with the PF spot ? Bargniani will be traded and somebody has to take his spot. That was supposed to be Davis.
And they would have shit load of wing player. Landry, Tross, Anderson and lets not forget Kleiza who btw is pretty good when on the floor.
amir at the 4.

and, daye has been ok this year. better than years past and with better effort on d and rebounding. still not a great player.;

Burgz V2
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
There's a Pacers fan that think he's Dirk "if he could just get out of the bad situation in Toronto."

Just sayin, there're idiots out there, only takes one with an NBA job.

he's the reason we are even IN a bad situation :roll:

in all honesty, watching him for the past 6 years, he's nothing like Dirk. He can shoot it, but if his shot is not falling he is USELESS. He doesn't even have a post up game at ALL. for a 7 footer that's pathetic.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM

in all honesty, watching him for the past 6 years, he's nothing like Dirk. He can shoot it, but if his shot is not falling he is USELESS. He doesn't even have a post up game at ALL. for a 7 footer that's pathetic.

At least he's a good rebounder :confusedshrug: .

Grey Dawn
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
booooo

Ed Davis is best asset in deal

InspiredLebowski

in all honesty, watching him for the past 6 years, he's nothing like Dirk. He can shoot it, but if his shot is not falling he is USELESS. He doesn't even have a post up game at ALL. for a 7 footer that's pathetic.Oh I know, he keeps posting trade scenarios for Bargs on another forum and I keep telling him he's a ****ing moron. I just kinda hope he's really young and kills it with Bargs on 2k13 or something.

creepingdeath
Dallas apparently turned down a Calderon for Carter trade. :facepalm

Burgz V2
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM

did you just call bargnani a good rebounder? are you insane?

Mr. I'm So Rad
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Oh I know, he keeps posting trade scenarios for Bargs on another forum and I keep telling him he's a ****ing moron. I just kinda hope he's really young and kills it with Bargs on 2k13 or something.

Bargs has been unstoppable in 2K ever since 2K11. He's always leading the league in scoring in my game.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Mark Cuban :bowdown: . His overvaluing of all his players, undervaluing players on other teams may be the demise of the Mavs. Carter is 35 and has a pretty big contract. Dallas would have been much improved with Calderon as your starting PG. He's basically a younger, better 2010 Jason Kidd offensively who would be a HUGE boost.

R.H.C.P.
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30346065.jpg

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM

I was obviously busting your balls, relax :cheers: .

Bertz
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm quite happy with this trade. I've always been a big supporter of Rudy, but he never played up to the expectations, or salary paid. Grizzlies weren't going to win it all with him, so may as well realize that now and keep building.

Rosterwise I don't think the Grizzlies have suffered too much, with the addition of Prince and Davis. This is one hell of a defensive unit. Also, I believe these guys will blend in better with Conley and ZBo than Rudy did.

Only move I felt bad about so far was letting OJ leave. Would love to see him on this roster.

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM

:oldlol:

Cold-blooded sarcasm.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
:oldlol:

Cold-blooded sarcasm.

I don't know how to be more obvious than stating a players biggest criticism and biggest weakness :oldlol:

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Only move I felt bad about so far was letting OJ leave. Would love to see him on this roster.

Since Cuban wants to keep Carter so bad, you should have re-acquired OJ Mayo lol.

Joey3000
01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
why isnt Boston making a play for Gay?

InspiredLebowski
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Cuban turning down Calderon is just boneheaded. I doubt it'd get Dallas to the playoffs but it'd sure as hell give em a better shot, and it saves a few mil on the cap.

Cermet
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
They still have to do something about Bargniani. Playing him is not good and they can't seem to trade him. But they also can't let him stay on the bench and not play at all. Wtf are they supposed to do? wave him?
And as I said. Shit load of wing players. And they need a good backup PF if amir gets a starting job.

They should get Motiejunas. Rockets don't play him at all so they probably wouldn't want for him much. Motiejunas WORST case scenario is Bargniani at a very low price.
I know people seem to not value him but if given a chance he would be a pretty good player. Right now I think he would play better than Valanciunas(even though Val is a C and Motiejunas is a PF)

InspiredLebowski
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd say just amnesty Bargs but what's the point now, their cap's already shot to hell.

Burgz V2
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't know how to be more obvious than stating a players biggest criticism and biggest weakness :oldlol:

with CF86 nothing is impossible

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Aww this made me sad.

"The fans have been with me since day 1, so it's tough to leave." - Calderon, choking back tears, before he left the arena.

Love this guy, have always wanted him on my Clips and I hope Detroit treats him well :applause:

Burgz V2
I'd say just amnesty Bargs but what's the point now, their cap's already shot to hell.

i would love to, but BC would never amnesty his no. 1 pick. dude is seriously in love with him. if he plays bad he questions everyone else. it's seriously pathetic.

no, he'll try and try to find a trade for him, hoping some poor soul will give us some picks or cap space.

albas89
Bass+1st rounder for Lowry...:banana:

Make it happen Danny!!

Oh wait...:facepalm

Cermet
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Bass+1st rounder for Lowry...:banana:

Make it happen Danny!!
yeah and they are left without PGs

creepingdeath
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Cuban turning down Calderon is just boneheaded. I doubt it'd get Dallas to the playoffs but it'd sure as hell give em a better shot, and it saves a few mil on the cap.
I bet he thinks he'll get more for Vince... Like Cuban's last couple of free agency gambles paid off so well. :facepalm I mean, Vince is having a great year considering his age, but a trade for Calderon is a no-brainer. Dallas is so bad at the PG position. No one can consistently create, and even a simple pick and roll with Dirk seems to be impossible.

RoboticWang
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Reading these tweets... the feels

Calderon just told us it is close to done but hasn't heard official. He is putting on uniform

My bad, Calderon just got dressed!

Calderon put on street clothes and walked into other room after telling us it is close. No sign of Ed

Ed Davis just did his goodbye hugs. Looks like a done deal to me

This place is a morgue

Bargnani having his pre-game pasta

Much sadness in #raptors locker room as Calderon, Davis say goodbye

Ed Davis just left the Raps locker room & headed towards the bus area

Calderon and Davis now leaving Philips Arena in street clothes.

InspiredLebowski
01-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Prince and Daye are inactive and not in Indy right now, in case there was any doubts

Kungfro
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Aww this made me sad.

"The fans have been with me since day 1, so it's tough to leave." - Calderon, choking back tears, before he left the arena.

Love this guy, have always wanted him on my Clips and I hope Detroit treats him well :applause:

Man it is gonna be weird seeing Calderon in another uniform. He's currently 2nd in total games played for the Raptors, only 17 games behind Mo Pete. I was never against trading him, but it's gonna be kinda sad to see him go.

EricGordon23
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Calderon and drummond imagine all them oops! This means lucas is our back up pg GRRRRR thats weak. guys garbage

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
LOL, Bargnani eating pasta, oblivious to everything else.

Clippersfan86
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM

:roll: :roll: . Dude is just going along with his pre game meal. It takes a lot of energy to sit on the bench all game man.

Kurosawa0
Don't feel like there is a real loser here. Memphis probably holds as the 4th best team in the West. The Pistons got a distributor, which they needed. Eh, Toronto is going to pay a lot to get marginally better, but I guess making the playoffs this year or next is enough for them.

Stuckey
not sure how I should feel about this but wouldn't mind resigning Calderon

dd24
How good is Austin Daye?
Where is he at?

When he's had minutes he's played well. He's not big enough to defend the stronger PF's in the game and he's not quick enough for the fast SF's. It all depends on match ups with him. I'd imagine he'll see open looks with Gasol I& Randolph down low. He'll knock those shots down. Memphis might be good for him.

dd24
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
not sure how I should feel about this but wouldn't mind resigning Calderon

There's not much of me that would want to resign him. He doesn't play any defense at all, which is not Detroit basketball. Offensively he can be pretty good. We have plenty of that with Bynum and Knight though.

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I was gonna make a thread on something Aldridge just said (taped, before the trade), but then he went on to say a lot of dumb Aldridge things, including picking Manu (one of my favorite players) as the 6MOTY, due to advanced stats...that's stupid.

But he's saying that Bargnani will "almost certainly" be traded before the deadline.

Just bring some pasta.

Bcogswell
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Sad to see Ed Davis gone :(

red1
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
:cry: ed and jose you will be missed

LakersForlife
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
i dont know what to expect

selrahc
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
considering how much money the grizzlies will save, i think tayshaun is a great replacement for gay

kaiteng
01-30-2013, 09:46 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9YtUqnobJy4/UIXtL4k4MQI/AAAAAAAAA7Y/CWRXxGWfOCI/s1600/bargnani-pigging-out.jpg

kaiteng
01-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Jose deserves 1 minute or more standing ovation when he plays the first game in ACC as a Piston.

Velocirap31
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Jose deserves 1 minute or more standing ovation when he plays the first game in ACC as a Piston.

Absolutely. So Calderon is a free agent this summer right? Could he come back to Toronto next season?

kaiteng
01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Absolutely. So Calderon is a free agent this summer right? Could he come back to Toronto next season?
Unless Pistons ties him up with a new contract, yeah maybe.

Bcogswell
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If he wants to come back and is willing to take a cheaper contract to play backup I'd be fine with it.

Velocirap31
01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If he wants to come back and is willing to take a cheaper contract to play backup I'd be fine with it.

:D Cool. I have a feeling he'd like to return.

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
My thoughts on the trade that I left in the game thread. Thought I would share it here too:

Short-term move. Were going to pay Gay a lot of money and that doesn't give us the cap space to address other weaknesses on this team. I understand the Calderon trade because his trade value was at a high and Lowry is better than him, but trading Davis makes it clear that Colangelo wants to still build with Bargnani as a main piece... and that really boggles my mind.

If Bargnani isn't traded as well and Colangelo comes back, I think a lot of Raptor fans are heading out the door and not going to bother with this team whatsoever, because it's clear they have no long-term vision. It seems the franchise wants to get into the playoffs and get owned in the first round for next couple of years and have no more room to improve.

From a fan standpoint with Calderon and Davis, I'm gonna miss both. Calderon for being a fine pure point guard, unselfish, and the ultimate professional. Davis, I wanted to him start after his rookie season, really played well since Bargnani got injured and I thought he was going to be the future piece for this team, either rotational or starting.

So overall, the trade just didn't make sense, outside of probably getting Calderon off our plate.

insidehoops
01-30-2013, 10:29 PM
The teams have confirmed that the trade is now official

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired forward Rudy Gay and centre Hamed Haddadi from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard Jose Calderon, forward Ed Davis, a second-round draft choice in 2013 and cash considerations. The Grizzlies traded Calderon to the Detroit Pistons for forwards Austin Daye and Tayshaun Prince.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12250#ixzz2JW4XZMA6

LakersForlife
01-30-2013, 10:30 PM
grizz is stronger without gay imo. that lineup that took okc to 7 games.with zebo as the #1 scoring option

Kujo
01-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Wow, this actually happened. :facepalm

Unbelievable. BC is moron. I like Rudy Gay, but let's be honest, he just isn't that good. He's never been an all-star. You can say he's underachieved to this point. He's an elite athlete, and can be clutch, but he goes MIA too often, and is not a great shooter. There's no guarantee this even makes us a playoff team. Gay will have to elevate his game big-time. This move is pure desperation by BC.

So we now have 3 guys in DD, Ross, and Gay who are practically the same player. :confusedshrug:

We give-up Davis, who finally started to produce after getting minutes, and has proven to be more valuable then AB.

The most depressing thing is that appears to confirm that the Raps are committed to AB to be their starting PF going forward. I hope I'm wrong.

I would have loved to see Calderon go to a contender. That being said, he'll make Drummond, and Monroe even better. The Pistons may sneak into the playoffs now.

Memphis didn't come off too bad. Davis, and Prince are above average players. Prince may prove to more valuable then Gay come playoff time.

n00bie
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Couldn't BC have just trade Calderon for Prince, without trading Davis away?

n00bie
01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Rare fact: All the players being traded have never been traded before. :eek:

d.bball.guy
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
And I believe all of them have only played for one team.

d.bball.guy
01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
One question: What's gonna happen to Derozan?

Qwyjibo
01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
One question: What's gonna happen to Derozan?
Derozan should be trade bait. His extension killed a lot of whatever value he might've had though. Given that he can't shoot and or create off the dribble, he's a terrible fit beside Gay.

He's basically in the same situation Bargnani was. The Raptors outbid themselves and offer a premature extension to a player that hasn't improved much since coming into the league. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake and hold onto Derozan for 7 years in hopes that he'll be an exception and break out.

Whoah10115
01-30-2013, 11:21 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9YtUqnobJy4/UIXtL4k4MQI/AAAAAAAAA7Y/CWRXxGWfOCI/s1600/bargnani-pigging-out.jpg

Raptor fans should be happy. If you're listening to your GM right now, it seems pretty obvious that Bargnani is going to be traded...assuming anyone else is interested.

Bargnani and his agent have apparently brought up the possibility of being moved and Colangelo just said they've discussed and are exploring trading him.

So, he will be moved...if anyone else wants to take him.

VIP2000
01-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Damn, I wonder how this guy feels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg

brandonislegend
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Prince will be welcome cause he plays D and shoots 3's.
Already having one of the best defenses in the NBA then adding Prince instead of Gay will be nice, but Gay is such a dynamic athlete.

Gay will be missed.

zac
01-31-2013, 12:20 AM
This is Hollinger playing "Moneyball" and I love it, everything about it. Rudy has all the talent in the world but was a ballstopper in this system. :cheers:

Rake2204
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Damn, I wonder how this guy feels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvgGah, I was going to post the same exact thing. Well done.

I'm guessing it went a little something like, "No! Not this guy!"

And 1
01-31-2013, 12:58 AM
The most depressing thing is that appears to confirm that the Raps are committed to AB to be their starting PF going forward. I hope I'm wrong.

This is exactly what went through my mind as well. :cry:

n00bie
01-31-2013, 01:00 AM
Calderon's interview about being traded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8tBkwyQHE

Looks like he was about to cry! :cry:

GoRapz
01-31-2013, 01:48 AM
I am willing to bet that Calderon is going to steal the starting spot from Knight. Very underrated PG around the league

Btw, Welcome Rudy Gay :djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty

Whoah10115
01-31-2013, 02:03 AM
I think this could turn out to be a terrific trade.

GoRapz
01-31-2013, 02:10 AM
I honestly don't know why some Raps fans are so against this trade. Let it all play out people. Colangelo isn't done yet I would love to see what he could get for Bargnani. If we could snatch a legit PF from some team that would be sweet

brandonislegend
01-31-2013, 02:13 AM
I honestly don't know why some Raps fans are so against this trade. Let it all play out people. Colangelo isn't done yet I would love to see what he could get for Bargnani. If we could snatch a legit PF from some team that would be sweet

A young legit PF someone like Ed Davis?

bdreason
01-31-2013, 02:46 AM
Great move for my Warriors. :cheers:

bdreason
01-31-2013, 02:47 AM
From a fantasy perspective I got screwed. I have Ed Davis (worthless now) and Brandon Knight, who will surely lose the starting PG spot to Calderon.

oh and I also have Glen Davis, who broke his foot tonight. :banghead:

bdreason
01-31-2013, 02:49 AM
And I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Raps end up keeping Bargnani. Guy is total trash and the team was 10x's better with Davis starting.

bdreason
01-31-2013, 02:53 AM
And one last thing, I thought the Raps weren't about spending? Why would they trade away a young, cheap PF with tons of potential for an overpaid SF who won't take your team anywhere?

Now that Raps have two overpaid SF's. :oldlol:

Beebo
01-31-2013, 02:54 AM
From a fantasy perspective I got screwed. I have Ed Davis (worthless now) and Brandon Knight, who will surely lose the starting PG spot to Calderon.

oh and I also have Glen Davis, who broke his foot tonight. :banghead:

I think the Pistons might move Knight to SG?

bdreason
01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
I think the Pistons might move Knight to SG?

They started him at SG the other night, and he dropped 30. Perhaps that was a test run.

dd24
01-31-2013, 03:12 AM
They started him at SG the other night, and he dropped 30. Perhaps that was a test run.

He's for sure not a SG in the NBA. They may run some small ball with him & Calderon at the same time but he's not going to primarily be a SG. I have Knight in my fantasy too. Not that he's been tearing it up, but I don't see a drop in his production. They aren't going to cut his minutes. This is going to hurt Bynum more than anything I think (and possibly Stuckey too). The Pistons have been saying Knight, Monroe, and Drummond are their core of the future. They've been grooming Knight to be the PG and I don't see that changing. They'll give Calderon a chance, just to see if they want to keep him around if he'll sign for the right amount of money. They made that trade because he's an expirer though. They're invested in Knight and he'll continue to play.

bdreason
01-31-2013, 03:19 AM
He's for sure not a SG in the NBA. They may run some small ball with him & Calderon at the same time but he's not going to primarily be a SG. I have Knight in my fantasy too. Not that he's been tearing it up, but I don't see a drop in his production. They aren't going to cut his minutes. This is going to hurt Bynum more than anything I think (and possibly Stuckey too). The Pistons have been saying Knight, Monroe, and Drummond are their core of the future. They've been grooming Knight to be the PG and I don't see that changing. They'll give Calderon a chance, just to see if they want to keep him around if he'll sign for the right amount of money. They made that trade because he's an expirer though. They're invested in Knight and he'll continue to play.

The last 2 weeks he's been playing less than 30mpg, and constantly getting benched down the stretch for Bynum. If they don't play him at SG, he's going to be under 25mpg, because I guarantee Calderon will run this team 10x's better than Knight, whom I don't think is even a starting caliber PG in the NBA (he's a tweener who should come off the bench).

dd24
01-31-2013, 03:28 AM
The last 2 weeks he's been playing less than 30mpg, and constantly getting benched down the stretch for Bynum. If they don't play him at SG, he's going to be under 25mpg, because I guarantee Calderon will run this team 10x's better than Knight, whom I don't think is even a starting caliber PG in the NBA (he's a tweener who should come off the bench).

Knight has plenty to learn, he's barely 21. They've been playing Drummond with Bynum off the bench and that tandem has been working well for them. That's where we've seen a dip in his minutes. He'll be a starting PG in this league for a while. He's a very talented player. Now it's just learning everything at this level.

brandonislegend
01-31-2013, 03:45 AM
Brandon Knight blows ass. He has no strengths, he decent at everything but what is he good at? He isn't that fast, isn't that good of a shooter, isn't that good at finishing, isn't that good at passing, isn't that good at defending...??

bdreason
01-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Brandon Knight blows ass. He has no strengths, he decent at everything but what is he good at? He isn't that fast, isn't that good of a shooter, isn't that good at finishing, isn't that good at passing, isn't that good at defending...??

I agree. And Calderon is going to do wonders for this team who have been playing a bunch of tweeners at point all season.

brandonislegend
01-31-2013, 04:08 AM
I agree. And Calderon is going to do wonders for this team who have been playing a bunch of tweeners at point all season.

I never understood the Brandon Knight hype, in high school he was player of the year and all this shit when you watch his highlight tapes you're like uhh okay?

Beebo
01-31-2013, 04:11 AM
I'm interested to see how Calderon plays with Monroe and Drummond. Jose is a great pick and roll PG and should definitely help the development of their bigs.

blablabla
01-31-2013, 04:14 AM
Great trade for all teams involved, Pistons get a playmaker and save tons of money, Grizz get Prince who might be a better fit than Gay and Ed Davis as back up PF/C and the Raptors might even make the playoffs and make tons of money through the addition of an exciting young wing player

InspiredLebowski
01-31-2013, 05:31 AM
At the Pistons @ Pacers game last night

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2098077/sadprincefan.gif

Pistons fan waiting to slap five with Prince, but he's not there. "Dude, where's Tay?.....welp, guess I don't need this anymore." Kinda sad really.

Burgz V2
01-31-2013, 05:46 AM
the only thing i wish is that Jose went to a better team. Him going to Detroit is making me extremely depressed

embersyc
01-31-2013, 08:04 AM
the only thing i wish is that Jose went to a better team.

Well he went to better team than the Raptors at least.

n00bie
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Are the Pistons known for their defense? Calderon's parameter defense SUCKS.. wonder how he will fit in.

dunksby
01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Are the Pistons known for their defense? Calderon's parameter defense SUCKS.. wonder how he will fit in.
Aint 04 anymore. I hear Raps are gonna waive Haddadi? That would be a dumb move, still a contender with shallow paint presence could snatch him.

heavensdevil
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
At the Pistons @ Pacers game last night

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2098077/sadprincefan.gif

Pistons fan waiting to slap five with Prince, but he's not there. "Dude, where's Tay?.....welp, guess I don't need this anymore." Kinda sad really.

:( . That is pretty sad. I hated Jose for the past few seasons and was always annoyed when the raptors stadium announcer would say "numero ocho" , but I am sad to see him go. True professional.

And my ***** ED, I'll always remember when he crashed his Maserati after the Young Jeezy concert.

Boki4MVP
01-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Rudy gay was traded for shane battier.

dd24
01-31-2013, 01:20 PM

They haven't had the players the past few years, but yes defense is what Detroit typically builds around and it looks like they're trying to again. They have the big guys down low. Now it's getting the perimeter to where it should be. That's why I'm not sure Calderon will fit in the Pistons long term plans. His defense isn't what a Detroit fan would expect.

zac
01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Rudy gay was traded for shane battier.
But he never played in Houston, he was traded on draft night. The line is really that everyone involved has never played for another team so it's going to be kind of weird seeing them elsewhere.

Qwyjibo
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Aint 04 anymore. I hear Raps are gonna waive Haddadi? That would be a dumb move, still a contender with shallow paint presence could snatch him.
I dion't get it either. Pietrus should be the obvious one to waive.

InspiredLebowski
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Maybe Haddadi's having problems with his work visa? You'd think that'd be cleared up before any deal goes down though.

zac
01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Maybe Haddadi's having problems with his work visa? You'd think that'd be cleared up before any deal goes down though.
That's the problem. He apparently can't ever even travel with the team to Toronto because of visa issues between Canada and Iran. They knew that before this trade was happening, JE Skeets was talking about it all day yesterday.

Grinder
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
If Haddadi clears waivers, the Grizzlies will probably snatch him back up.

I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is but I don't think the Raptors had any intention of keeping him. He was simply a throw in.

Whoah10115
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Calderon serves no purpose in Detroit. Maybe Utah wants him. Maybe they don't like Burks and are dumb enough to do that straight up. Maybe Sacramento thinks Calderon can bring them the right approach and leadership. Maybe the Pacers can use him, as they play great defense and can hide him.

dd24
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Calderon serves no purpose in Detroit. Maybe Utah wants him. Maybe they don't like Burks and are dumb enough to do that straight up. Maybe Sacramento thinks Calderon can bring them the right approach and leadership. Maybe the Pacers can use him, as they play great defense and can hide him.

You can't just flip a player that you just traded though, right? I think the purpose is the expiring contract and that's about it. Maybe he shows Knight how to take care of the ball a little better.

dunksby
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
If Haddadi clears waivers, the Grizzlies will probably snatch him back up.

I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is but I don't think the Raptors had any intention of keeping him. He was simply a throw in.
If Haddadi was just a throw in and Raps knew he was not gonna be able to play for them, didn't even want him in the first place, why would the Grizz include him in the trade? Additionally why would the Grizzlies pick him up again after they redundantly threw him in a trade to a team that didn't even want him since as far as I know Haddadi only earns 1.3mill this year.

Whoah10115
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
You can't just flip a player that you just traded though, right? I think the purpose is the expiring contract and that's about it. Maybe he shows Knight how to take care of the ball a little better.

I can see some of his benefit. But to answer your question, you can. I remember that happened with Rasheed. He went to Atlanta for like a game and finally landed in Defroit.

Scoooter
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Hadaddi should just defect. Who the hell would want to go back to Iran?

D-Rose
01-31-2013, 04:57 PM
That's the problem. He apparently can't ever even travel with the team to Toronto because of visa issues between Canada and Iran. They knew that before this trade was happening, JE Skeets was talking about it all day yesterday.
You part of the TBJ army? :cheers:

dunksby
01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Hadaddi should just defect. Who the hell would want to go back to Iran?
You mean to seek asylum? Defect is used for military personnel. :lol

hoopaddict08
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM

Actually he does. He is likely going to start.

Knight hasn't been able to run the offense and Stuckey appears to be comfortable coming off the bench. Brandon is going to be the two for the rest of the season, I guarantee it. Hen can learn how to run an offense from Calderon.

Kujo
01-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Kenny Smith just said the Raps would be a 3rd or 4th seed in the East if they started the season with the current roster! :roll: :roll:

Wow, those TNT dudes are seriously overrating Rudy Gay.

ncrizzle
01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Kenny Smith just said the Raps would be a 3rd or 4th seed in the East if they started the season with the current roster! :roll: :roll:

I laughed

eliteballer
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Before the season, the Grizzlies opted not to re-sign O.J. Mayo and let him leave as a free agent.

''When you have champagne taste, you can't be on a beer budget,'' coach Lionel Hollins said, before going on to say he understands the challenges Memphis faces as one of the NBA's smaller markets.

Hollins, who advocated keeping the starting five together and is in the final year of his contract, said ''time will tell'' if the Grizzlies are a better team after the trade.

''I think we're still a good team. Other people can cry the blues about this, that and the other,'' Hollins said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/grizzlies-still-trying-contend-without-200026969--nba.html

:eek:

Whoah10115
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Actually he does. He is likely going to start.

Knight hasn't been able to run the offense and Stuckey appears to be comfortable coming off the bench. Brandon is going to be the two for the rest of the season, I guarantee it. Hen can learn how to run an offense from Calderon.

I can see Calderon teaching Knight some things. So, in that case, he can bring something. Him being better is irrelevant tho. Shame, as I'd like to see Calderon offer something to a good team. But maybe he will next year.

UtahJazzFan88
02-01-2013, 12:52 AM

Wow. Do TNT analysts realize that Rudy Gay is averaging .84 points per possession, league average is .92 points per possession. Rudy is a product of high usage rate for the most part.

The Grizzlies are a much better team with Prince & Ed Davis. Prince is an all around better team guy, uses a possession more efficiently (and less attempts) than Rudy, and the same goes for Ed Davis over Marresse Speights.

brandonislegend
02-01-2013, 12:53 AM

:eek:

Legends66NBA7
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM

Did it include Jonas and Bargs being healthy ?

bdreason
02-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Wow. Do TNT analysts realize that Rudy Gay is averaging .84 points per possession, league average is .92 points per possession. Rudy is a product of high usage rate for the most part.

The Grizzlies are a much better team with Prince & Ed Davis. Prince is an all around better team guy, uses a possession more efficiently (and less attempts) than Rudy, and the same goes for Ed Davis over Marresse Speights.

Rudy was a high usage player because they needed him to be. He was also the leading scorer because they needed him to be. The Grizzly can't get enough scoring from Randolph and Gasol alone, and when they try to force the post, they become incredibly predictable and easy to guard.

brandonislegend
02-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Farewell Rudy :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXNxLvld4k

UtahJazzFan88
02-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Rudy was a high usage player because they needed him to be. He was also the leading scorer because they needed him to be. The Grizzly can't get enough scoring from Randolph and Gasol alone, and when they try to force the post, they become incredibly predictable and easy to guard.

They were fine without Rudy in 2010-11. And they had Sam Young starting at SF then. Now that Tayshaun Prince is the SF. Who can actually shoot the outside ball, handle the ball, do nice things, not a star, but he's a great complimentary player. They will be fine with Gasol, Randolph & Conley getting more chances with the ball.