PDA

View Full Version : Antwan Jamison says Michael can still play today even at 50

jstern
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't doubt that in the right situation with a LeBron (James) on his team or with a Kobe (Bryant) on this team, he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes," said Antawn Jamison before the Lakers played the Bobcats on Friday. "I wouldn't doubt that at all, especially if he was in shape and injuries were prevented and things of that nature."

That's saying a lot, considering Jamison has Bryant on his team, and only averages 8.1 points per game in 20.5 minutes per game and he's "only" 36 years old.

Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8931131/antawn-jamison-says-michael-jordan-a-solid-contributor-50

BurningHammer
02-10-2013, 03:20 AM
It all depends on what drives them. MJ has a full load of it even today.

pauk
02-10-2013, 03:22 AM
Ofcourse he could, i can think of many former NBA players at that age who could.... but how effectively is the question...

inclinerator
02-10-2013, 03:32 AM
he'd be worst than steve nash on d tho

andgar923
02-10-2013, 03:40 AM
From that same article:

"He wasn't joking," said Jamison of Jordan's declaration at the HOF ceremony. "You hear stories still to this day, especially last year, him going to the practice facility and playing 1-on-1 with the guys and still they can't stop him."

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/gallery/mj-fashion/mjbluehoodie.jpg

andgar923
02-10-2013, 03:46 AM
Ofcourse he could, i can think of many former NBA players at that age who could.... but how effectively is the question...

In the right situation he could do very well.

He was trying to carry the entire load and playing with injuries as a Wiz. Naturally he can't do that anymore, but he can play as a supporting member perhaps with a good big man. He wouldn't be a good fit with another good guard, he'd have to play with a big man that commands double teams and is a defensive presence as well.

With a slightly reduced role, good big man and less minutes he could be very effective and may even have a couple 4o pt games and a 50 pt game if all things are aligned in his favor (rest, rest, rest).

jstern
02-10-2013, 04:02 AM
In the right situation he could do very well.

He was trying to carry the entire load and playing with injuries as a Wiz. Naturally he can't do that anymore, but he can play as a supporting member perhaps with a good big man. He wouldn't be a good fit with another good guard, he'd have to play with a big man that commands double teams and is a defensive presence as well.

With a slightly reduced role, good big man and less minutes he could be very effective and may even have a couple 4o pt games and a 50 pt game if all things are aligned in his favor (rest, rest, rest).

I said this before, but I remember a statistic of Wizard's Jordan show his numbers with 1 day or more rest vs his stats on games where he played the previous day, and the differences were day and night. So for an older player the most important thing is rest.

White Mamba
02-10-2013, 04:07 AM
10-11 points? MJ can do better than that even now.

andgar923
02-10-2013, 04:22 AM
I said this before, but I remember a statistic of Wizard's Jordan show his numbers with 1 day or more rest vs his stats on games where he played the previous day, and the differences were day and night. So for an older player the most important thing is rest.

For anybody that saw Wizards MJ play his stats are misleading. He would regularly drop 15 points in the first half, then quiet down the second half. But that's not surprising since EVERY PLAYER normally performs this way. MJ's efficiency didn't drop because he couldn't play or the defense was better in the second half. His body simply didn't have enough left, due to him carrying the load.

I remember watching those stats you're referring too as well. They showed them in a few telecasts, and you're correct. The numbers are night and day, not even close. Then there's those days in which he felt good (for as good as somebody at that age can feel) and those were the games he killed. There was even stretches in which he would average MVP numbers for 2 weeks stretches a number of times.

Honestly speaking, he can probably come back and play 20-25 minutes per game. A supporting role with less pressure will do wonders for his endurance. As I mentioned, playing with a big man that commands double teams should crate more one on one situations for him, in better positions on the court increasing his efficiency instantly.

15 ppg 46% 4 boards 4 assists 1 stl is a decent hypothetical stat sheet

dbk123
02-10-2013, 04:24 AM
inb4 mj signing with the heat next season.:banana:

bdreason
02-10-2013, 04:25 AM
There is no way he could play at 50, because he couldn't guard anyone.

If I was going to pick a former player who could possibly play at 50, it would be a knockdown 3 point shooter, not a guy who relied on his strength and speed to succeed.

andgar923
02-10-2013, 04:30 AM

If I was going to pick a former player who could possibly play at 50, it would be a knockdown 3 point shooter, not a guy who relied on his strength and speed to succeed.

Naturally his biggest weakness would be his quickness. But he'd still be smarter and more fundamentally sound than 99% of the league.

Shit, if Kidd is still out there guarding the top guards why can't MJ? I can almost guarantee that MJ at this age is still quicker than Kidd right now. Hell, don't have to go far but to look at Artest. Still considered by some as a good defender although he was never quick. He's quicker than MJ is now, but MJ is still smarter, and can get away with more calls. Have a good big man in the middle and he's not getting exposed as much.

White Mamba
02-10-2013, 04:31 AM

The league is full with players who can't guard anyone

SacJB Shady
02-10-2013, 04:35 AM
MJ should come back one more time for his legacy. He must show up in great shape, and slim. He doesn't need to play defense. He can just score 15 to 20 a game. Most players would feel too much respect to want to embarrass him anyways.

monkeypox
02-10-2013, 05:55 AM
I've heard that while Larry Bird was an exec on the Pacers he'd always be watching scrimmages and practices from the sideline. If practice ended and there happened to be a ball near him he take a shot from where ever he was and always swish it. No warm up, wearing a suit, swish every time. So I don't doubt some of these old guys can still score.

miller-time
02-10-2013, 06:01 AM
10-11 points? MJ can do better than that even now.

He wouldn't be playing enough minutes to get above that.

But beyond a marketing idea I don't see any point to him coming back. The risk vs reward is not good. No one wants to see a broken down Michael Jordan retire 10 games into the season. And the chances of him coming out, playing 60+ games in the season and averaging above 10 or 15 points is very slight.

plowking
02-10-2013, 06:23 AM
For anybody that saw Wizards MJ play his stats are misleading. He would regularly drop 15 points in the first half, then quiet down the second half. But that's not surprising since EVERY PLAYER normally performs this way. MJ's efficiency didn't drop because he couldn't play or the defense was better in the second half. His body simply didn't have enough left, due to him carrying the load.

I remember watching those stats you're referring too as well. They showed them in a few telecasts, and you're correct. The numbers are night and day, not even close. Then there's those days in which he felt good (for as good as somebody at that age can feel) and those were the games he killed. There was even stretches in which he would average MVP numbers for 2 weeks stretches a number of times.

Honestly speaking, he can probably come back and play 20-25 minutes per game. A supporting role with less pressure will do wonders for his endurance. As I mentioned, playing with a big man that commands double teams should crate more one on one situations for him, in better positions on the court increasing his efficiency instantly.

15 ppg 46% 4 boards 4 assists 1 stl is a decent hypothetical stat sheet

Its no surprise the 3 stupidest posts in this thread belong to you. You're on Jordan's jock so hard its embarrassing. No. He couldn't average 15ppg. He wouldn't average 10ppg. Maybe 5ppg on some of the worst shooting percentages in the league. He'd put up Austin Rivers type numbers but he'd be 10 times less valuable.

In your other post you bring up his solid fundamentals. Hakeem had them too. So did KAJ. At 39 Hakeem was putting up 7ppg on 46% shooting. Kareem put up 10ppg on 47% shooting at 41. Everything starts to deteriorate more rapidly once you get older.

46% shooting for Jordan? Where are you pulling this random arbitrary number from? You have great shooters who pace themselves and take shots within the flow like Steph Curry, and hes only shooting 43% this season. What in the world makes you think a 50 year old is going to do better than him? You're downright delusional and idiotic.

Doranku
02-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Did someone really say that 50 year old Michael Jordan could score 50 points in an NBA game?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Words cannot even come close to describing how ridiculous that statement is. WOW. :oldlol:

Dragonyeuw
02-10-2013, 08:32 AM
He can still score, especially if he operated exclusively in the post. His problem would be defense and his body at 50 simply couldn't keep up. Skillwise though, sure he could still play but skill and shooting ability is the last to go, the body simply cant keep up after a certain point.

Glide2keva
02-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Did someone really say that 50 year old Michael Jordan could score 50 points in an NBA game?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Words cannot even come close to describing how ridiculous that statement is. WOW. :oldlol:
Show us where someone said this.

Bcogswell
02-10-2013, 08:59 AM

he could be very effective and may even have a couple 4o pt games and a 50 pt game

:roll:

atljonesbro
02-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Someone didn't learn how to read. Lmao this guy was expecting him to never find such a post and expecting to be repped many times for 'owning' him

Harison
02-10-2013, 10:14 AM
He can play, but I dont think he would want a limited bench player role. Also getting into NBA shape would be another challenge for him.

That said, his jumper is still silky smooth, and his BBIQ is beyond 99% of NBA anyway.

andremiller07
02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Current MJ > Travis Outlaw

Real Men Wear Green
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
He could play for a few games but he'd get hurt. He was having injury woes as aa wizard in his late 30s. A decade of age would make that worse.

Dro
02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I actually think we're selling him a bit short....He could probably average 15ppg at least...

iDunk
02-10-2013, 11:46 AM
People would be lying if they said they wouldn't want to see this happen.

andgar923
02-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Its no surprise the 3 stupidest posts in this thread belong to you. You're on Jordan's jock so hard its embarrassing. No. He couldn't average 15ppg. He wouldn't average 10ppg. Maybe 5ppg on some of the worst shooting percentages in the league. He'd put up Austin Rivers type numbers but he'd be 10 times less valuable.

In your other post you bring up his solid fundamentals. Hakeem had them too. So did KAJ. At 39 Hakeem was putting up 7ppg on 46% shooting. Kareem put up 10ppg on 47% shooting at 41. Everything starts to deteriorate more rapidly once you get older.

46% shooting for Jordan? Where are you pulling this random arbitrary number from? You have great shooters who pace themselves and take shots within the flow like Steph Curry, and hes only shooting 43% this season. What in the world makes you think a 50 year old is going to do better than him? You're downright delusional and idiotic.
This idiot is comparing curry to MJ.... Nuff said.

andgar923
02-10-2013, 11:56 AM

It's a stretch but given the right circumstances he can do it.

Again, it isn't his skill that's the issue here, players and coaches have mentioned that he still beats players. This is workout being in shape, without really playing much. Big IF no doubt, but I can almost guarantee that there isn't a single player or coach that wouldn't be surprised if he did just that (naturally he'd have to come back first).

He'd be drawing fouls and hitting that fadeaway jumper on automatic. Add in two 3 pointers and he has a shot UNDER THE PROPER CONDITIONS.

DatAsh
02-10-2013, 12:30 PM
If he came back, he'd lose his .001 - or whatever it is - all time ppg lead he has over Wilt.

Real Men Wear Green
02-10-2013, 01:01 PM
If he came back, he'd lose his .001 - or whatever it is - all time ppg lead he has over Wilt.
Jordan's love of the game is strong enough that if he thought he could contribute at a high level he'd play in spite of that. His whole Wizard comeback he was only damaging his ppg and he still played. What's stopping him is that he knows he couldn't sustain a quality return, whether he'd publicly admit to it or not. MJ isn't coming back so he can play at the level of Keith Bogans.

LikeABosh
02-10-2013, 01:08 PM
You guys are ridiculous. Jordan would be GASSED by the end of the 1st quarter.

iamgine
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Yea he can play some minutes against the likes of Fisher, Stackhouse, Dahntay Jones, etc.

madmax17
02-10-2013, 01:41 PM
If he would come back now I predict a 30ppg/2.1steal/DPOY/AllStar/MVP/FinalsMVP type season.

chazzy
02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
He wouldn't do shit. This is ridiculous

Mr. I'm So Rad
02-10-2013, 01:57 PM
If Antawn was guarding him he would look like a star.

mentallooser
02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
A 50 year old isn't gonna be able to work himself into NBA shape. If he did he'd be coming off the end of the bench in cleanup time. I'd love more than anyone to think he could play a useful bench role now adays. He's the GOAT by far IMO but he's 50 and realistically his body wouldn't hold up to a single game, much less a season.

tmacattack33
02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
If he hadn't come back to the Wizards in 2001 and went to a decent team like the Hornets instead, it coulda been special and MJ woulda looked a whole lot better.

JMT
02-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Anyone that believes that Jordan or anyone else could compete in the NBA at age 50 has never been anywhere close to age 50.

28renyoy
02-10-2013, 03:53 PM
He would be garbage. I'm sure he could still score around 10 ppg on 35% shooting but it would all be on ISO post ups that would use entire possessions. He would be a total ball stopper and the worst defender in te league

And his body would fall apart in the first month.

DStebb716
02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
No. He couldn't. He'd be one of the worst players in the league. He's the best player ever. Leave it there. Hate that people have to try to build up a legend with horseshit.

tontoz
02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I am sure MJ could play well 1 on 1, maybe even half court. But he wouldn't hold up for a season. As a fellow old guy i say no chance. Training camp, practices, 82 games, no way a 50 year old can hold up.

L.Kizzle
02-10-2013, 04:51 PM
From that same article:

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/gallery/mj-fashion/mjbluehoodie.jpg
This nigha needs a personal tailor.

andgar923
02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Some of you actually think he'd come back if he felt he'd be garbage?

Of course he'd only even consider a comeback if he was sure he could play.

I agree that a 50 year old wouldn't have the same stamina, but he wouldn't be playing 30 minutes, he wouldn't be carrying the entire load and getting the same defensive attention. This is also MJ we're talking about, who even out of shape is still beating NBA players in their prime. Get him in multiple iso situations in a game and he's scoring on most of those.

SMH people comparing him to steph curry.

Myth
02-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Bobcats could really use MJ. I'd actually love to see him come back just out of pure curiosity.

Doranku
02-10-2013, 05:14 PM

I agree that a 50 year old wouldn't have the same stamina, but he wouldn't be playing 30 minutes, he wouldn't be carrying the entire load and getting the same defensive attention. This is also MJ we're talking about, who even out of shape is still beating NBA players in their prime. Get him in multiple iso situations in a game and he's scoring on most of those.

Steph Curry would be 10x better than 50 year old Jordan. You are a lunatic.

Grey Dawn
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
His name is AnTAWN. Why the hell does everybody including 9 out of 10 announcers call him AnTWAN?

jstern
02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
His name is AnTAWN. Why the hell does everybody including 9 out of 10 announcers call him AnTWAN?
You're right. I used Google, when you start typing his name the suggestion is Antwan Jamison. As well as the ESPN article.

Psileas
02-10-2013, 07:24 PM
No player in history would be able to crack 10 ppg at the age of 50, let's be real. Kareem was at 17.5 at 40, but quickly fell to 10.1 at 42. Deterioration comes faster as years go by, although taking a few competitive years off may work to your body's favor if you manage to keep it in good condition.

Here's something to consider. Jordan's points/minute productivity after his first comeback:

1996: 0.806
1997: 0.783
1998: 0.741
2002: 0.657
2003: 0.541
2013: ?

Now notice that 2013 is as far away from even 2003 as 2003 was from 1993 and we realize that even at 20 mpg, we can't realistically expect something more than maybe 7 ppg, and even playing 20 mpg at that age would be quite a feat to be honest.

plowking
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM

Posts like this from you make me believe you still think superheroes are real. Its cute and all you believe in your hero and all, but aren't you in your mid 30's? Its time to get a grasp on life and stop believing in tall tales and magic stories.

Yes, Steph Curry currently was better than Wizards MJ too.

Stop trying to pass off others as the delusional ones when you actually insinuated MJ could get a 50 point game at 50 years old. :oldlol:

Lebron23
02-11-2013, 03:57 AM
I don't think Current MJ is even better than Mike James.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_mike_james.jpg

He might average 12-15 ppg in the D-League.

andgar923
02-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Posts like this from you make me believe you still think superheroes are real. Its cute and all you believe in your hero and all, but aren't you in your mid 30's? Its time to get a grasp on life and stop believing in tall tales and magic stories.

Yes, Steph Curry currently was better than Wizards MJ too.

Stop trying to pass off others as the delusional ones when you actually insinuated MJ could get a 50 point game at 50 years old. :oldlol:

You keep believing that.

BTW

Has it even hit any of you that Jamison hasn't been the only one stating that he could still play and be effective?

I'm assuming that the reports of him beating players in practice and one on one are all just myths then, correct?

MJ scoring 50 at 50 could be a possibility if everything fell into place for him. It'll be extremely hard to do no shit, but not impossible.

Doranku
02-11-2013, 04:11 AM
You keep believing that.

BTW

Has it even hit any of you that Jamison hasn't been the only one stating that he could still play and be effective?

I'm assuming that the reports of him beating players in practice and one on one are all just myths then, correct?

MJ scoring 50 at 50 could be a possibility if everything fell into place for him. It'll be extremely hard to do no shit, but not impossible.

:roll: The fact that you're still clinging for dear life to his ridiculous, outrageous, nonsensical belief really makes me think that you sit at home snorting lines while watching your Jordan VHS collection on replay.

andgar923
02-11-2013, 04:16 AM
:roll: The fact that you're still clinging for dear life to his ridiculous, outrageous, nonsensical belief really makes me think that you sit at home snorting lines while watching your Jordan VHS collection on replay.

Yeah that's exactly what I do.

plowking
02-11-2013, 04:35 AM
You keep believing that.

BTW

Whats your point with 1 on 1?

I've lost to far worse players in 1 on 1. Everyone has. Jordan lost to Jerry Stackhouse 1 on 1. Means shit all.

LOL at you thinking Jordan would be as good as Steph Curry. Now, or when he was 40. :oldlol:

Jordan could not score 50 points in a game. How many players have done it this season? Exactly. And you think a 50 year old can come waltz into the best league in the world, during one of its strongest eras and score 50? :oldlol:

Idiot.

andgar923
02-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Whats your point with 1 on 1?

I've lost to far worse players in 1 on 1. Everyone has. Jordan lost to Jerry Stackhouse 1 on 1. Means shit all.

LOL at you thinking Jordan would be as good as Steph Curry. Now, or when he was 40. :oldlol:

Jordan could not score 50 points in a game. How many players have done it this season? Exactly. And you think a 50 year old can come waltz into the best league in the world, during one of its strongest eras and score 50? :oldlol:

Idiot.

Nobody's scored 50 because not too many players are gunning for it. You telling me Durant or James can't get there?

One on one matters because it shows that the skill level is still there. Not just the skill level, but enough athleticism to still beat players. It matters because he can get isolation plays in the post. It matters because it shows he can get his shot off which is one of the hardest things to do when you age, or in general. It matters because it shows just how skilled and how much better he is/was that being this old, out of shape, without playing ball can still beat a PRO NBA player in their prime. This isn't a case in which he's getting beat badly. It's not as if he's getting obliterated.

So now, you have him in a game situation, playing limited minutes as a sidekick and NOT the main player. He's proved that he can get his shot off, beat men one on one without being in shape, so you run an iso for him. We know he can not only get the shot off but beat his man. If he gets doubled, it aint like he can't pass or isn't smart enough to know where and when he's gonna get trapped, this aint an average player. He's crafty enough to create a shot or split a double in the paint. Naturally it'll be harder for him in the perimeter, but he could work the paint like no other player today. From different blocks, only Kobe could be better (for a wing player). Add to that the calls he'll receive from refs, he'd be a very serviceable player. I understand the differences between a one on one game and a game situation, the game situation actually favors MJ in some instances. It aint like he's Wade, MJ can actually play on the right side, has multiple moves, a jumper that is wet.

The 50 point game is a very far stretch.

But not impossible IF all things fell into place. More importantly plenty of rest and health. He won't be launching 3s, he'd be getting to the line and getting buckets around the paint. When somebody is in the zone, they don't get tired, the teammates feed him, and they can't miss. Kobe has been very effective in the paint this season, that can give you an idea of what he'd be able to do (naturally at a reduced rate).

The biggest obstacle he'd face is his legs giving out on him and his body not responding. Him beating players one on one and in scrimmages shows that it isn't the competition.

Some of us older posters know what it's like to play vs younger players. We understand what one goes through. We also know that on any given day, we can still have flashbacks and dominate a game. Might happen just once, but it can (and has) happen.

KOBE143
02-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Is this a joke?

Dude wouldnt even make the D-League let alone play in the NBA.. :roll:

SacJB Shady
02-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Jordan can play at 50 because shooting baskets is easy, especially when u open. It's not like trying taking a tackle from a 320 pound lineman or hitting a 98 mph fastball. That's why guys like Terry and Allen can still be a threat. You may not have speed anymore, but anyone can look good taking open jump shots. If Jordan was playing alongside Kobe or Lebron he would swish it and get tons of awes.

Soundwave
02-11-2013, 08:38 AM
He would have to be on human growth hormone or some other kind of testosterone replacement to be able to do it.

The human body just isn't designed to play a sport like basketball at that high of a level at age 50.

Unless it's a role like being purely a spot up shooter.

9erempiree
02-11-2013, 08:53 AM
One of the stupidest things I have ever heard on this website. MJ wouldn't be able to make a team.

Running at full speed is part of the NBA. There is no way he even average 10 points while having to play defense.

He would be a huge liability on all aspects of the game. It would hurt the team more than helping.

JerryWest
02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
How the **** cares what antwan jami$on says :facepalm

9erempiree
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
He would have to be on human growth hormone or some other kind of testosterone replacement to be able to do it.

The human body just isn't designed to play a sport like basketball at that high of a level at age 50.

Unless it's a role like being purely a spot up shooter.

Spot up shooter?

He would get his shot thrown back into his face.

code green
02-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Jordan's fat ass isn't dropping 20 points in a game, never mind 50. :oldlol:

Money 23
02-12-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm sure he can murk Bobcats players in 1 v 1 during practice. Hell, that much is obvious from Bobcats practice in 2010. Video of him killing Jason Richardson and Gerald Wallace off the dribble, off pump fakes, that jumper. And then video of him LOCKING UP J-Rich and Raymond Felton.

But in terms of running around, playing both ends, there is no way he could keep. He'd be a huge liability. The claim is ridiculous, but obviously he's still really skilled.

bdreason
02-12-2013, 12:57 AM
How is this thread still going? MJ could not play in the NBA at the age of 50.

Jailblazers7
02-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Jordan could be 70 and Jamison still wouldn't be able to guard him.

9erempiree
02-12-2013, 01:06 AM
The sad thing is that there are people who actually say he can play at age 50. These are the same people that post on a basketball enthusiast site. I would understand if this topic of debate came up on knitting message board.

:facepalm

Clifton
02-12-2013, 01:40 AM
MJ is fundamentally perfect. What that would mean at 50 would be that he would play off-ball intelligently to get open midrange shots and know how to back a guy down when he had a mismatch. He'd be able to get some shots off. He could get 8-l0 ppg in the pros still I bet. Realistically, probably more like 4-8 a night on a championship contender. There's no room for him on the Heat or Thunder, and I would ROFL if he were to join the Clippers, but what if he were to join the Bulls? That's an outside contender when Rose comes back, which could use some offense. He's played with Hamilton before. You wouldn't want him to play more than l5-maybe 20mpg though.