PDA

View Full Version : PG Spot

idizzle
02-12-2013, 10:30 PM
The Jazz should keep an eye on these PGs in the draft.

Trey Burke

Ray McCallum

Lorenzo Brown

Isaiah Canaan

CJ McCollum

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Are these pure pg's or combo guards? The way Burks is looking a combo guard might make a lot of sense. Could have a lot of diversity running the offense through Burks, Hayward or another guard. Would never have worked with Sloan but now it might make sense. They might want to look for more of a veteran if they get someone like Patty Mills as is rumored too.

idizzle
02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
They are pass-first guards.

Burke reminds me of CP3.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/C.J.-McCollum-5860/

He sounds like their guy to me. A combo guard. Would allow Hayward and Burks to still have the ball in their hands as well. Looks like he is projected around where they will be picking and they will likely have GS' pick if they need to move up a bit too.

Xiao Yao You
03-08-2013, 01:14 AM
http://nbadraft.net/players/isaiah-canaan

This guy could be a fallback choice. Some others might have more potential than these two but more question marks as to their fit.

Xiao Yao You
03-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Arthur (Arizona) Would the Jazz draft Trey Burke is he was available? Would they draft Cauley-Stein as a 3rd big? Chad Ford (1:23 PM) I have the Jazz taking Burke at No. 14 in our Lottery Mock Draft Machine. Not totally sure he'll be there, but if he is, seems like a good fit. PG is a priority for them. Michael Carter-Williams is a possibility for them if he slides. I hear they also like Myck Kabongo and Lorenzo Brown a bit. Ditto for Nate Wolters. But 14 might be a little high for all of those guys. ESPN.com

Read more at http://*********.com/rumors.htm#bTTWBSjFJA22Wakb.99

Jazz don't need a 3rd big. They need a small guard. Their other picks should be traded or used to stash guys overseas which seems like a possibility with a former Spur as GM. They don't need to get younger other than a small guard.

I could say them taking guys with a possible trade in mind for someone like Bledsoe when he becomes available after Chris Paul re-signs.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2013, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE]Oklahoma State point guard Marcus Smart

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Based on what I've read he sounds like their guy to me too. Says he might be moving up towards the top of the draft though so unless they get lucky in the lottery or can move up they might not get him. They need someone multi-skilled to play with G and Burks. Handle the ball, score off the dribble, shoot off the ball, match-up defensively.

El Kabong
05-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Based on what I've read he sounds like their guy to me too. Says he might be moving up towards the top of the draft though so unless they get lucky in the lottery or can move up they might not get him. They need someone multi-skilled to play with G and Burks. Handle the ball, score off the dribble, shoot off the ball, match-up defensively.
Sounds like they'll need to move up to the 5-7 range to guarantee they get him.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Maybe. At least 15 teams interviewing him. Didn't say if the Jazz were. We will know soon if the get really lucky in the lottery.

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Looks like Orlando should be looking to draft a pg which sounds likely to be Burke that high up. Might be able to trade down and still get him or someone else if he's not their guy. NO, Charlotte, Kings, Detroit, Minnesota, OKC, and Dallas could be looking at pg/combo guards too I'd think. Dallas might be trading their pick though.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2013, 10:06 PM
The 22-year-old Isaiah Canaan said he earlier worked out for San Antonio. And he has more workouts scheduled with Indiana, New York, Cleveland, Phoenix, Dallas and Utah. "I'm just going out there and having fun and showing what I can do," Canaan said. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

He sounds like a good fit if they can't get McCOllom somehow.

El Kabong
05-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Sounds like Boston made a promise to draft Schroeder at #16 if he's available.

Xiao Yao You
06-02-2013, 12:42 AM
I saw that. Jazz will have to take him with their first pick if they want him.

One unconfirmed rumor that's surfaced is the Kings offering point guard Isaiah Thomas to the Cavs for the No. 19 pick

News-Herald

If that doesn't happen he might be worth the Jazz's 2nd pick.

El Kabong
06-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I saw that. Jazz will have to take him with their first pick if they want him.

If that doesn't happen he might be worth the Jazz's 2nd pick.
Sounds like the Kings have got a target on someone who's going to be picked around that area. If the Cavs pass and he's still available when the Jazz pick, you'd think they'd make that offer to the Jazz.

Suppose it depends on who the Jazz pick at #14 though.

Xiao Yao You
06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
If they take the German he might not be ready to step in and play right away so Thomas at 24 could still be a good pick-up.

Xiao Yao You
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Adam Zagoria: Former Louisville PG Peyton Siva works out this week for Philadelphia (Tuesday), Washington (Wednesday) and Utah (Friday). Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Dennis Schr

Xiao Yao You
06-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Miami point guard Shane Larkin tops the list of six players who will participate in a pre-draft workout for the Jazz on Wednesday morning at the team

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 12:19 AM
CJ McCollum has been to Orlando and Philadelphia for private, individual workouts. Starting Thursday in Phoenix, McCollum will display his skills for six other teams

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Larkin apparently impressed the Jazz with his play on the floor and really impressed the media with his engaging personality in a seven-minute interview after his session.

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 07:10 AM
One of the things the Jazz wanted to see

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 07:16 AM
the Utah Jazz will be holding their 4th workout this off-season tomorrow. They will be bringing in another 6-pack. While today's workout appeared to be focused upon running Shane Larkin against a gauntlet of much longer and taller players -- I haven't yet figured out what THIS workout is about. I guess it's looking at some of the guys who we may have a chance to pick at #21; however, well, we'll ALSO be looking at Pierre Jackson of Baylor much the same way we saw Larkin today. They are both shorter guards, and in workouts where they're playing mostly against other guys taller than them. In this one I wonder where Jackson even fits because the LAST workout at least had two point guards. This one has only one.

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Jody Genessy: Notre Dame F Jack Cooley will at Jazz's pre-draft workout Friday. German point guard Dennis Schroeder announced he'll also be there.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz's Friday pre-draft workout: Steven Adams, Jack Cooley, Richard Howell, Kenny Kadji, Dennis Schroeder, Peyton Siva.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
06-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Jody Genessy: Former University of Utah basketball player Jason Washburn will replace Notre Dame's Jack Cooley at today's Jazz pre-draft workout. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Notre Dame F Jack Cooley will at Jazz's pre-draft workout Friday. German point guard Dennis Schroeder announced he'll also be there. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
06-07-2013, 06:49 PM
There were rumors floating around that Larkin got a promise from the Bucks after he worked out for them last Friday. The Bucks do like Larkin, but the Bucks did not shut down his workouts. He was in Utah (the Jazz pick ahead of the Bucks) on Wednesday working out. ESPN.com

I'm hearing that German point guard Dennis Schroeder struggled in his workouts in Milwaukee and Houston. Schroeder, according to team sources, struggled to keep up with the defensive intensity in workouts. He works out again Friday in Utah. Schroeder rode a dominant performance at the Hoop Summit into the top 30, but if he doesn't start playing better, he could be in for an equally significant decline. ESPN.com

Steve Luhm: When media allowed into Jazz workout, Dennis Schroeder shooting threes: 4-8 left elbow, 4-8 straightaway, 4-8 right elbow, 5-7 right corner. Twitter @sluhm

Steve Luhm: Schroeder heading home after working out for Utah, Philly, Dallas, Boston, Milwaukee and Houston. Twitter @sluhm

El Kabong
06-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Damn, maybe they can nab Schroeder later then?

Xiao Yao You
06-08-2013, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE]Heading into the NBA Draft on June 27, Schroeder is one of the top point-guard prospects available. Along with Louisville point guard Peyton Siva, Pitt center Steven Adams, Notre Dame forward Jack Cooley, North Carolina State forward Richard Howell and Miami forward Kenny Kadji, he worked out for the Utah Jazz on Friday. "I think it went very well for me," said Schroeder, who doesn

Xiao Yao You
06-08-2013, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE]Listed as 6-foot-1 and a slender

Xiao Yao You
06-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Asked how he performed in Utah, vice president of player personnel Walt Perrin said, "I thought he fought through some things. He struggled a little bit early, but he finished strong.

"He

Xiao Yao You
06-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Perrin and the Jazz brain trust certainly saw some things from Schroeder that impressed them

Xiao Yao You
06-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Rumors persist that Schroeder has a promise, and our sources have indicated that Boston is the team that has promised him. Obviously the team already has Rondo, but no one is expecting most of the players from this draft to instantly become starters. Schroeder used a tremendous week in Portland at the Hoop Summit in practices and the game to skyrocket up team's draft boards

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 01:18 AM
With two weeks left before the NBA Draft, the Utah Jazz will take a look at one of the top point guard prospects available Wednesday when they work out Lehigh

el gringos
06-12-2013, 02:48 AM
I think there is more of a chance of trey Burke being available at 14 than mcCollum. I don't understand how anybody could take Burke over mcCollum or how a team could take Burke before any of the big name c's

Maybe Burke doesn't last all the way to 14- but I would bet he "slides" and doesn't go anywhere near top 5

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Nobody has Burke falling.

Xiao Yao You
06-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Larkin's worked out for the Celtics, Bucks, Jazz and Suns. He's got the 76ers and Mavericks this week. From the sound of things, it looks like his best workout might have been in Utah, though sources say the Bucks are very high on him at No. 15. (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9362805/2013-nba-draft-alex-len-moving-ranking-top-30-%20prospects) That No. 14-16 range seems about right for Larkin. If he isn't taken there, the next team that really needs a point guard is the Jazz again at No. 21 (assuming they don't take a point guard at No. 14).

ESPN.com (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9362805/2013-nba-draft-alex-len-moving-ranking-top-30-%20prospects)

El Kabong
06-13-2013, 05:28 PM
McCollum sounded interested in playing for the Jazz, although that could just be him playing the game. Still, he won't be around when the Jazz draft, so I suppose he didn't have to say anything if he didn't want to.

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 12:13 AM
They all seem to say nice things, Probably do everywhere but it is obvious that there's a big opportunity in Utah.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Continuing a string of prospect evaluations for the June 27 NBA Draft, the Jazz will hold two sessions again Tuesday at Zions Bank Basketball Center. The first session will include projected lottery pick Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams (6-5, 184) and former Layton Academy/Weber State guard B.J. Porter (6-3, 190) of Azusa Pacific.

Deseret News

The second workout will include six players: Miami guard Durand Scott (6-5, 203), Kansas guard Elijah Johnson (6-4, 195), Evansville guard/forward Colt Ryan (6-5, 200), Syracuse guard James Southerland (6-8, 210), Kentucky guard Archie Goodwin (6-4, 198) and Princeton forward Trent Lockett (6-7, 225).

Deseret News

I think Wiliams is the last of the top pg's to work out for them other than Burke who I doubt will work out for them.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2013, 08:06 PM
After another pre-draft workout Tuesday morning, vice president of player personnel Walt Perrin said he does not expect Michigan

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2013, 01:19 AM
http://c296307.r7.cf1.rackcdn.com/lockedonjazz/files/2013/06/point-guard-measurables.png

McCollum is long. He could definitely play the 2 with that length,

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Syrcause

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2013, 01:23 AM
Carter-Williams participated in Tuesday

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2013, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE]Asked if he would be surprised if Thursday came and went without the Jazz acquiring a point guard, through one method or another, general manager Dennis Lindsey said, "Not at all."

Lindsey said the Jazz won

Xiao Yao You
06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Point guard Gal Mekel, fresh off leading little Maccabi Haifa to an upset of Euroleague Final Four regular Maccabi Electra Tel-Aviv for the Israeli championship earlier this month, appears to be inching closer to an NBA roster for next season. Mekel had an eye-opening workout last week with the Milwaukee Bucks, according to sources close to the situation, and will audition Monday for the Dallas Mavericks. Sources told ESPN.com that the Toronto Raptors, meanwhile, are the latest team to express interest in Mekel, who has made major progress since his days at Wichita State from 2006-2008 and increasingly appeals to NBA teams thanks to his size, ability to read the game and, most of all, his pick-and-roll proficiency.

ESPN.com

Other teams to register a level of interest in Mekel, sources say, include Atlanta, Indiana and Memphis. Utah also continues to track Mekel after giving him his first NBA audition last fall and inviting him to training camp, only for visa issues to prevent his participation.

ESPN.com