PDA

View Full Version : David Stern is full of shit - ESPN Interview about MJ.

bdreason
02-14-2013, 02:39 AM
I've never been one to buy into the conspiracy theories around MJ leaving Basketball in his prime, but listening to this recent David Stern interview has me thinking that perhaps we don't know the whole story.

In the interview, Stern essentially says he didn't care that MJ decided to retire in his prime to play Baseball, and that he wished him good luck. I'm sorry, but MJ was a global phenomenon, and the face of the NBA, and if David Stern really thought MJ was retiring from the sport, he would have lost his mind.

So, either Stern is lying now about how he felt at the time, or he knew at the time that MJ would only be gone for a period of time, and would eventually return. Either way, I think it's safe to say Stern is full of shit.

ESPN Interview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZxunQfBcc

Jasper
02-14-2013, 02:47 AM
I've never been one to buy into the conspiracy theories around MJ leaving Basketball in his prime, but listening to this recent David Stern interview has me thinking that perhaps we don't know the whole story.

In the interview, Stern essentially says he didn't care that MJ decided to retire in his prime to play Baseball, and that he wished him good luck. I'm sorry, but MJ was a global phenomenon, and the face of the NBA, and if David Stern really thought MJ was retiring from the sport, he would have lost his mind.So, either Stern is lying now about how he felt at the time, or he knew at the time that MJ would only be gone for a period of time, and would eventually return. Either way, I think it's safe to say Stern is full of shit.

commish confid's in public he lost his mind :no:

Stern had close ties with MJ for the simple fact once Bird and Majic were ut of the picture , MJ generated millions and his viable interview didn't dispute it.
u don't like Stern = say it.
I for one think he did a great job over the decades to make the NBA what it is today(.)

bdreason
02-14-2013, 02:50 AM
I have no problem with Stern. He helped take the NBA to where it is today... but did you listen to the interview?

bdreason
02-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Also, he claims it wasn't about MJ until the Bulls started winning Championships... but I can tell you the MJ hype started way before he started winning rings.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 02:53 AM
people who say Jordan was suspended = idiots

Stern saying he wished Jordan luck and went back to business = lying

DuMa
02-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Stern would never publically admit he panicked during Jordan retirements.

Mr. Jabbar
02-14-2013, 03:00 AM
http://youtu.be/Vb3IMTJjzfo

eliteballer
02-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Op, you're right....Stern should have said he called Jordan and cussed him out because he couldn't stand the thought of someone retiring because their father had been killed and they were burnt out.

bdreason
02-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Op, you're right....Stern should have said he called Jordan and cussed him out because he couldn't stand the thought of someone retiring because their father had been killed and they were burnt out.

He didn't have to say that, but he could have been more truthful, and still be PC about it. Something like, "I was shocked, and I didn't want him to leave, but I respected his decision", or something like that.

This whole, "I didn't give fukc... can't even remember who told me" BS is just ridiculous though. You don't remember who told you MJ was retiring from Basketball during his prime after winning 3 straight rings? Ya fukcing right. I was only 13 and I remember exactly where I was when I found out.

iamgine
02-14-2013, 03:11 AM

In the interview, Stern essentially says he didn't care that MJ decided to retire in his prime to play Baseball, and that he wished him good luck. I'm sorry, but MJ was a global phenomenon, and the face of the NBA, and if David Stern really thought MJ was retiring from the sport, he would have lost his mind.

So, either Stern is lying now about how he felt at the time, or he knew at the time that MJ would only be gone for a period of time, and would eventually return. Either way, I think it's safe to say Stern is full of shit.

Meh, the league was way bigger than any single player. In fact, attendance went up the following year. Stern knew it would be just fine with or without MJ. Kinda like if Lebron retire after the season.

eliteballer
02-14-2013, 03:22 AM
He didn't have to say that, but he could have been more truthful, and still be PC about it. Something like, "I was shocked, and I didn't want him to leave, but I respected his decision", or something like that.

This whole, "I didn't give fukc... can't even remember who told me" BS is just ridiculous though. You don't remember who told you MJ was retiring from Basketball during his prime after winning 3 straight rings? Ya fukcing right. I was only 13 and I remember exactly where I was when I found out.

Seems to me that's exactly what he's saying from 2:08-2:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZxunQfBcc&t=2m08s

SyRyanYang
02-14-2013, 03:56 AM
Seriously what do you expect him to say? "I cried liked a baby and begged him not to leave me:cry: "?
:biggums:

bdreason
02-14-2013, 04:12 AM
I guess I expected him not to act completely aloof about the situation. I found it borderline disrespectful. Perhaps Stern holds some resentment towards MJ because of the credit MJ gets for taking the game global.

iamgine
02-14-2013, 04:51 AM
I guess I expected him not to act completely aloof about the situation. I found it borderline disrespectful. Perhaps Stern holds some resentment towards MJ because of the credit MJ gets for taking the game global.
Probably Stern doesn't take basketball personal and just sees the NBA as a business and players as product.

Overdrive
02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
He sure was shocked, because he lost the premiere product of his company, but as a businessman he couldn't show it. His product would lose all its stock and especially without knowing if Jordan would come back he had to get back to business as soon as possible. They build up new stars within Jordan's hiatus from the NBA. Shaq, Penny and Grant Hill were good products and very marketable - also in Europe, because Jordan opened the market and people needed different stars anyway. People want to be different.

02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
I was gonna say that too. In general no business man would or should show his feelings or weaknesses or admit mistakes in public.

he obviously down played Michael's importance to the league (when referring to his years before those 3 titles).

But you just knew deep down at some point he panicked because of MJ's departure.

Overdrive
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Just saw the interview on sportscenter. He even admitted it was like christmas for him when Jordan returned to the NBA..

Glide2keva
02-14-2013, 10:15 AM
people who say Jordan was suspended = idiotsLet's see. Were you there? I want to say no, but I was. And I heard this exact thing. He had an 18 month suspension for gambling. Stern wanted to keep it quiet because they didn't want a Pete Rose situation as that was still a somewhat fresh thing. Also, he went and played for the White Sox's minor league team. The WS are owned by Jerry Reinsdorf. So he was able to stay in the organization. Plus his $4 Million salary spot was never removed from the roster. They just moved BJ Armstrong into it.

Stern saying he wished Jordan luck and went back to business = lyingWell, we all know that.

CLTHornets4eva
02-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Stern is a schizer. He wouldn't be truthful in any case if it hurt him or the league ever.

That being said I like him like an attorney for the Mob in the movies. He's funny and intelligent and very good at what he does.

Stern is the ultimate WWE Heel. :pimp:

Dragonyeuw
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
He has to play the role of being an objective Commissioner, so it wouldn't be fitting for him to gush over Jordan. Stern's job was made a HELL OF A LOT easier promoting the NBA with Jordan in the league, and he knows that.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Let's see. Were you there? I want to say no, but I was. And I heard this exact thing. He had an 18 month suspension for gambling. Stern wanted to keep it quiet because they didn't want a Pete Rose situation as that was still a somewhat fresh thing. Also, he went and played for the White Sox's minor league team. The WS are owned by Jerry Reinsdorf. So he was able to stay in the organization. Plus his $4 Million salary spot was never removed from the roster. They just moved BJ Armstrong into it.

Well, we all know that.

I was as much there as you were, considering you're not a beat reporter, just an obnoxious fan. He most definitely wasn't suspended. Guys like Sam Smith even found the accusations to be ludicrous, and Sam could be one of Jordan's harshest critics. If this had happened someone, a reporter, would have found something, anything, about this. Nothing has ever been uncovered revealing a suspension for gambling. It's mere speculation by a certain segment of fans, there's nothing of substance there.

Jordan going to play for the Birmingham Barons has nothing to do with anything, it doesn't support your claim of a suspension and has nothing to do with the Pete Rose situation. Of course the NBA wouldn't want a Pete Rose situation, but there was nothing to suggest it would reach that level. The NBA hired a private investigator and he found nothing. You're just engaging in baseless conspiracy theories.

In 1993 Jordan was at the peak of this powers and the NBA was as popular as it ever was, Stern and the NBA was not about to suspend their greatest asset, perhaps the biggest reason they were able to attain such a global presence, because of some unfounded gambling accusations. Everyone knows Jordan is a gambling addict but nothing has ever been uncovered revealing Jordan to have broken any rules. Suspending Jordan for a year and a half would have been a massive, unnecessary gamble, but of course you know it to be true because you were there.....

monkeypox
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Anyone ever wonder if MJ is the one that sent a hit out on his father? The whole connection was based on some cancelled checks from MJ in possession of the boss of the guys that killed his father. Everyone assumed it was either a coincidence or because of debts since MJ was notorious for gambling and paying his losses whenever he felt like it.

But get this. Some time ago his sister accused the father of having molested her for a long time and no one in the family knew about it then. MJ has flatly denied this claim. MJ is a powerful and rich guy. His father, supposedly the molester ends up killed by two guys working for a guy that has cancelled checks from MJ.

Lol, ok it's a stretch but I've always wondered if there was a connection.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Let's see. Were you there? I want to say no, but I was. And I heard this exact thing. He had an 18 month suspension for gambling. Stern wanted to keep it quiet because they didn't want a Pete Rose situation as that was still a somewhat fresh thing. Also, he went and played for the White Sox's minor league team. The WS are owned by Jerry Reinsdorf. So he was able to stay in the organization. Plus his $4 Million salary spot was never removed from the roster. They just moved BJ Armstrong into it.

Well, we all know that.

You're not a beat reporter (which means you weren't privy to any more info than any other fan) and you're full of shit. You have absolutely nothing to back up your claims, except Jordan going to play for the Birmingham Barons, which proves nothing. Considering Jordan's status in the league, his importance to the league's popularity, the global brand of the NBA, it makes absolutely no sense that the NBA would suspend this guy for 18 months with no evidence of wrongdoing recovered. Jordan was by far the biggest American sports star at the time and had a hoard of followers, if he was suspended by the NBA at the very peak of his success, someone would have uncovered something..... no one ever has. And people like you continue to bring this weak shit in here and present it as fact. You weren't there, you're not well informed, your conclusions are idiotic.

CLTHornets4eva
02-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Anyone ever wonder if MJ is the one that sent a hit out on his father? The whole connection was based on some cancelled checks from MJ in possession of the boss of the guys that killed his father. Everyone assumed it was either a coincidence or because of debts since MJ was notorious for gambling and paying his losses whenever he felt like it.

But get this. Some time ago his sister accused the father of having molested her for a long time and no one in the family knew about it then. MJ has flatly denied this claim. MJ is a powerful and rich guy. His father, supposedly the molester ends up killed by two guys working for a guy that has cancelled checks from MJ.

Lol, ok it's a stretch but I've always wondered if there was a connection.

Have you ever seen the pictures of the kids that killed his dad? 0% Chance of ties to anything organized. I would doubt those kids graduated from Middle School.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Well, we all know that.

Every fan heard this at the time, anyone following the Bulls or the NBA. There's nothing to support it, meatball conspiracy theorists like to promote this theory but really it's not based on anything, certainly not on anything you suggested. As far as conspiracy theories go it's a rather weak one.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Have you ever seen the pictures of the kids that killed his dad? 0% Chance of ties to anything organized. I would doubt those kids graduated from Middle School.

Exactly. But don't dare tell that to some of the people in this thread. No, we have to keep promoting idiotic conspiracy theories that have no basis in fact.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
There's more evidence to support Jordan retiring on his own because of burnout, his immense fame, his father's murder, than someone bullshit conspiracy theory. His father was gauging his interest in retirement a year or two prior to it actually happening. The two teenagers who killed James Jordan had absolutely no mob ties, there was nothing uncovered to support that... yet people continually spew that drivel. James Jordan was extremely careless driving to a remote location and sleeping in his car over night, it ended up costing him when a couple of punk kids came around and robbed and murdered him.

Knoe Itawl
02-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Seriouly never understood people who buy into ridiculous conspiracy theories, that don't hold up under close scrutiny and especially HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THEM.

There's never been a shred of proof that this happened, other than rank speculation and as Angel Eyes mentioned, journalists have looked over and over again for it.

It's just stupid.

Glide2keva
02-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I was as much there as you were, considering you're not a beat reporter, just an obnoxious fan. He most definitely wasn't suspended. Guys like Sam Smith even found the accusations to be ludicrous, and Sam could be one of Jordan's harshest critics. If this had happened someone, a reporter, would have found something, anything, about this. Nothing has ever been uncovered revealing a suspension for gambling. It's mere speculation by a certain segment of fans, there's nothing of substance there.

Jordan going to play for the Birmingham Barons has nothing to do with anything, it doesn't support your claim of a suspension and has nothing to do with the Pete Rose situation. Of course the NBA wouldn't want a Pete Rose situation, but there was nothing to suggest it would reach that level. The NBA hired a private investigator and he found nothing. You're just engaging in baseless conspiracy theories.

In 1993 Jordan was at the peak of this powers and the NBA was as popular as it ever was, Stern and the NBA was not about to suspend their greatest asset, perhaps the biggest reason they were able to attain such a global presence, because of some unfounded gambling accusations. Everyone knows Jordan is a gambling addict but nothing has ever been uncovered revealing Jordan to have broken any rules. Suspending Jordan for a year and a half would have been a massive, unnecessary gamble, but of course you know it to be true because you were there.....
So you're saying that you were in the Chicago Stadium and United Center on a night in and night out basis like I was from 93-96?

Okay. And you don't know me well enough to call me obnoxious, because I am FAAARRRRR from it.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
So you're saying that you were in the Chicago Stadium and United Center on a night in and night out basis like I was from 93-96?

Okay. And you don't know me well enough to call me obnoxious, because I am FAAARRRRR from it.

Night in and night out? No, far from it. I was there a few times but can't say I was a regular. This proves what, exactly? And yes, you are coming off as extremely obnoxious. You were a fan of the bulls and went to many games from the 93-96 era. How does this support your claim of a suspension? What does this have to do with anything? Again, you weren't a reporter, you weren't covering the team or the league. They, the very people who were covering this guy never uncovered anything, and you'd be a damn fool to think they weren't looking, yet you feel like can say there was a suspension anyway. Nice logic.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Sam ****ing Smith, the same guy who wrote the Jordan Rules, which basically succeeded in bringing most of Jordan's indiscretions to the public and significantly damaging his previous squeaky clean image, even found the accusations to be ludicrous.

Knoe Itawl
02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Come on man, being there doesn't give you any more insight on this then anyone else. You heard whispers from other people indulging in gossip, what EVIDENCE do you have?

It's like the guy in this picture saying he knows the nuclear codes cause he works in the White House :confusedshrug:

http://www.dudelol.com/img/obama-fist-bumping-white-house-janitor.png

ihoopallday
02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Of course he won't admit how he really felt. It's like when your gf dumps you. Most guys go around acting like you don't give a ****, but deep inside they're hurting.

AngelEyes
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Come on man, being there doesn't give you any more insight on this then anyone else. You heard whispers from other people indulging in gossip, what EVIDENCE do you have?

It's like the guy in this picture saying he knows the nuclear codes cause he works in the White House :confusedshrug:

http://www.dudelol.com/img/obama-fist-bumping-white-house-janitor.png

Exactly. Guys like Sam Smith were there everyday covering that team, hounding Jordan, Jackson, etc. for information, he never saw a reason to support the suspension claim, but a fan who attended the games during that era does. Why? Oh, because he was at the games of course...yeah, that makes sense.

Jasper
02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Also, he claims it wasn't about MJ until the Bulls started winning Championships... but I can tell you the MJ hype started way before he started winning rings.
YES I know I lived in Chicago

Fabrications of what MJ did during his baseball career is just bull shit.
He was exhausted playing bball trying to will his team to a championship.
His baseball career was for his father.

And yes I saw the video Stern , had and saw no issues with it.
--------------
Only issue I had with the whole thing is that , I wished Jordan didn't leave bball , because Ibelieve he would of won 9 straight rings , and the Kobe discussion would of been absolutely MUTE.

guy
02-14-2013, 12:54 PM
There's more evidence to support Jordan retiring on his own because of burnout, his immense fame, his father's murder, than someone bullshit conspiracy theory. His father was gauging his interest in retirement a year or two prior to it actually happening. The two teenagers who killed James Jordan had absolutely no mob ties, there was nothing uncovered to support that... yet people continually spew that drivel. James Jordan was extremely careless driving to a remote location and sleeping in his car over night, it ended up costing him when a couple of punk kids came around and robbed and murdered him.

Yes, I think there's a misconception that Jordan retiring was a complete surprise. You can even look on youtube when Bob Costas is interviewing everyone during the 93 championship celebration and he was asking him about there being some speculation about him retiring.

Still though, the only thing that doesn't make me totally write off the conspiracy theory is the fact that James Jordan apparently pulled off on the freeway to take a nap. Who the **** does that? Forget the fact that he was the father of one of the famous people in the world. What normal person does that?

2LeTTeRS
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes, I think there's a misconception that Jordan retiring was a complete surprise. You can even look on youtube when Bob Costas is interviewing everyone during the 93 championship celebration and he was asking him about there being some speculation about him retiring.

Still though, the only thing that doesn't make me totally write off the conspiracy theory is the fact that James Jordan apparently pulled off on the freeway to take a nap. Who the **** does that? Forget the fact that he was the father of one of the famous people in the world. What normal person does that?

Its not that rare for the rural areas of NC especially in the early 90s before a lot of these new rest stops were built. Its not like we have 5-star hotels every few towns over --- in certain parts of the state there really isn't any safe place to go to sleep.

TheMarkMadsen
02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Think about if Kobe or Lebron left the league after a 3peat all their stans would claim "they left the game because they were too good and tired of winning"

02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Why would Jordan be suspended for gambling?

I thought it was legal. At least the way he does it.

And why would he be involved with the mob? It's not like he needs to borrow money from anyone much less from the mob?

guy
02-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Its not that rare for the rural areas of NC especially in the early 90s before a lot of these new rest stops were built. Its not like we have 5-star hotels every few towns over --- in certain parts of the state there really isn't any safe place to go to sleep.

Pulled over on the freeway though? Its one thing if he got off at an exit and then pulled over. But he pulled over on the freeway?

bdreason
02-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Why would Jordan be suspended for gambling?

If he were betting on NBA games, or perhaps even betting on his own team to win, then he would definitely be suspended from the NBA.

ILLsmak
02-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Meh, the league was way bigger than any single player. In fact, attendance went up the following year. Stern knew it would be just fine with or without MJ. Kinda like if Lebron retire after the season.

I don't think anyone thought MJ was going to stay away from bball. I was like 11 and I knew he wasn't gone for good. The whole thing was a huge joke, covering his bball games. I lived in IL.

But the truth is if MJ really retired, it would have been some dark days for the NBA. It was basically ALL MJ at that time. There were other players, but nobody they could put into that face of the NBA role.

-Smak

ILLsmak
02-14-2013, 05:55 PM
If he were betting on NBA games, or perhaps even betting on his own team to win, then he would definitely be suspended from the NBA.

Double post. I disagree with this. I think the only reason gambling is prohibited is because of point shaving. If someone was betting on wins and covering the spread, that would not affect anyone. I think it has much more to do with underplaying that "overplaying."

That's the fear among the suits... getting guys who understand the betting thing and playing for spread. Even NOT betting on the game and playing with the spread is a big deal.

-Smak

daily
02-14-2013, 07:24 PM
In 1992, after winning his second championship, Jordan was called to testify in the criminal trial of James Bouler to explain why why Bouler, a convicted drug dealer, was in possession of a Jordan-signed personal check for $57,000.

First, Jordan claimed it was a business loan, but under oath he admitted that it was a payment for on gambling losses for a single weekend.

Then, in early 1993, San Diego businessman Richard Equinas revealed in his book Michael and Me: Our Gambling Addiction...My Cry for Help that he had won over $900,000 from Jordan in golf betting.

Around the same time, MJ was spotted in an Atlantic City casino in the early hours on the morning of Game Two of the Eastern Conference Finals.

After the Bulls won their third championship, the NBA launched an investigation into Jordan's gambling problems to check whether he had violated any league rules. Then, four months later Jordan stunned the world by suddenly retiring from professional basketball.

At the press conference when he was asked if he would ever return he said, " Five years down the road, if the urge comes back, if the Bulls will have me, if David Stern lets me back in the league, I may come back."

Now why in the world would Jordan ever say if David Stern lets him back, then maybe he would come back when the reporter didn't mention Stern's name at all in his question?

Only days after Jordan announced his retirement, the league dropped its investigation, saying he did nothing wrong (I guess betting numerous amounts on sports isn't wrong then).

Was there a secret agreement between Jordan and Stern where Stern told him to simply retire and create a distraction so that he wouldn't face a suspension and have his huge marketable name stay clean?

The distraction occurred when Jordan then decided to play minor league baseball in the White Sox organization, even though he would've had trouble hitting a beach ball, yet alone a baseball. In 102 games with the Barons, Jordan had a .202 average along with 3 homers, 51 RBI, 30 stolen bases, 114 strikeouts, and a .555 OPS.

Also, in the much respected book Money Players Days and Nights Inside the New NBA by Armen Keteyian, it states that in 1993, the league had an interview with Richard Equinas during their investigation on Jordan's gambling. He said that in March of 1992, he overheard a telephone conversation Jordan was having with an unknown person.

During the conversation, he heard Jordan talking about a betting line, "So you say the line is seven points." The game MJ was talking about isn't known, but the accusations are extremely serious as that means if Jordan was indeed betting on sports, he was breaking a sacred, unwritten rule for all professional athletes, as that is against the integrity of the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/131997-mjs-1st-retirement-was-it-a-secret-suspension

daily
02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE]Here is the untold story of the real reasons why Michael Jordan retired from the NBA in 1993, according to sports writing legend Jack McCollum of Sports Illustrated:

October 6, 1993. Not what you

tmacattack33
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
I saw an interview in 1999 where they told Stern about how much MJ impacts the game and how an average nationally televised game featuring MJ got about 2.5 million more viewers than an average nationally televised game without the Bulls in it. He basically tried to ignore it, and just said that he wasn't aware of those numbers.

I don't think he likes the idea of one player having so much influence on the success of the league. He wants to make it seem like his league is great on its own, and would be okay if the top super-star wasn't there anymore.

Roundball_Rock
02-14-2013, 09:46 PM
How many--if any--all-time greats in basketball, or any sport, retired in the midst of their physical peak? MJ was 29, part of a a three consecutive championships dynasty--and he retires 2 days before training camp begins (thereby forcing his team to look to the Italian League to find a scrub to play SG)?

Let's look at Bill Simmon's top 96 of all-time.

Level 1

96. Tom Chambers

95. Jo Jo White

94. Jack Twyman

93. Kevin Johnson

92. Bob Lanier

91. Dwight Howard

90. Chris Paul

89. Shawn Kemp

88. Gail Goodrich

87. Connie Hawkins

86. Arvydas Sabonis

85. Robert Horry

84. Cliff Hagan

83. Vince Carter

82. Chris Mullin

81. Dave Bing

80. Bailey Howell

79. Bobby Dandridge

78. Paul Westphal

77. Dan Issel

76. Artis Gilmore

75. Tracy McGrady

74. Joe Dumars

73. Sidney Moncrief

72. Chris Webber

71. Lenny Wilkens

70. David Thompson

69. Dennis Rodman

68. Pete Maravich

67. Earl Monroe

66. Adrian Dantley

65. Alex English

64. Jerry Lucas

63. Ray Allen

62. Reggie Miller

Level 2

61. Bob McAdoo

60. Nate Archibald

59. Robert Parish

58. Bernard King

57. Tommy Heinsohn

56. Paul Arizin

55. Dominique Wilkins

54. Paul Pierce

53. Dwayne Wade

52. Dennis Johnson

51. Bill Sharman

50. Dolph Schayes

49. Elvin Hayes

48. James Worthy

47. Billy Cunningham

46. Hal Greer

45. Dave DeBusschere

44. Nate Thurmond

43. Clyde Drexler

42. Jason Kidd

41. Wes Unseld

40. Gary Payton

39. Patrick Ewing

38. Steve Nash

37. Dirk Nowitzki

Level 3

36. George Mikan

35. Kevin McHale

34. George Gervin

33. Sam Jones

32. Walt Frazier

31. Dave Cowens

30. Willis Reed

29. Allen Iverson

28. David Robinson

27. Bill Walton

26. Rick Barry

25. John Stockton

Level 4

24. Scottie Pippen

23. Isiah Thomas

22. Kevin Garnett

21. Bob Cousy

20. LeBron James

19. Charles Barkley

18. Karl Malone

17. Bob Pettit

16. Julius Erving

15. Kobe Bryant

14. Elgin Baylor

13. John Havlicek

The Pantheon

12. Moses Malone

11. Shaquille O’Neal

10. Hakeem Olajuwon

9. Oscar Robertson

8. Jerry West

7. Tim Duncan

6. Wilt Chamberlain

5. Larry Bird

4. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

2. Bill Russell

1. Michael Jordan

How many of these players retired at their peak?

I think MJ being suspended would be too good a story to keep secret for this long, but the fact that, as far as I know, there is no comparable instance of a great player in any sport deciding to retire at his peak (even if there is, surely there can't be more than a couple others) raises serious red flags--and then he didn't retire in the summer. He waited until the very last minute--October--to retire. These are red flags that raise questions.

Knoe Itawl
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
And how many players reached the echelon that Michael did becoming the most famous person in the WORLD, and also dealing with their father (who was by all accounts his rock) being murdered?

Again, aside from rank speculation there has never been any hardcore EVIDENCE that he was suspended, and so the talk is meaningless. Anyone can make up a conspiracy theory.

Btw, you're a clown but I do like that you have Kobe ranked about right.

bagelred
02-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I think MJ being suspended would be too good a story to keep secret for this long, but the fact that, as far as I know, there is no comparable instance of a great player in any sport deciding to retire at his peak (even if there is, surely there can't be more than a couple others) .

Just off the top of my head, I can think of two:

Jim Brown - Football
Bjorn Borg - Tennis

I am sure there are plenty of other good examples.

Just thought of another: Barry Sanders

Jasper
02-16-2013, 11:49 AM
round ball rock's "bill Simmons list"

looks pretty good to me.

However I still have issues seeing DR.J below some guys , because he impacted how players play as well as the league.

SHOWING the value that rings is not everything when it comes to the top baller's in the history of the sport.

Which will always bring up to question who is the pure est' bball player is history , and Big O always claimed the best...
7 years from now the stats and rings that surround Bron may prove differently.

Just be thankful we are witnessing so many great players