PDA

View Full Version : Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

usa hoops
02-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Of course, I'm referring to Rodman in his prime.

I wouldn't expect him to shut him down, but could he frustrate him enough that he would hold him below his average?

imdaman99
02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
what kinda question is this? do you consider rodman to be a good defensive player?

because i consider him a great defensive player, one of the best ever. this is not like dikembe mutumbo having shaq dunk on him 12 times a game after he wins defensive player of the year awards you know. so obviously he could thwart lebrons game. frustration sounds about right. wear him out, and make him work for his points.

Shepseskaf
02-14-2013, 04:10 PM
No, but he'd do as good a job as anyone could. Rodman would defend LBJ the same way he played Malone.

usa hoops
02-14-2013, 04:11 PM
what kinda question is this? do you consider rodman to be a good defensive player?

I know how I feel about Rodman, I ask the question to see how everyone else feels. It may be a rhetorical question to you, but some may disagree.

DuMa
02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
with handchecking, yes and no (lebron is an all-time great already, not many players would be able to stop him)
without handchecking, no.

imdaman99
02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
dont you guys understand, rodman is a 1 way player. in some ways similar to bruce bowen. they werent needed for offense (yes, bowen was lethal on corner 3s. but he didnt have any responsibilities offensively but to take those 3s to keep his defender honest).

but if you're gonna surround rodman with a bunch of bad defenders... than NO he could not contain lebron. rodman surrounded by the bad boy pistons and 3peat bulls... YES absolutely he could contain lebron. altho... i dont know if he could cover the quicker guys later in his career. but him on the pistons? absolutely. lebron would not drop 30 lol

CavaliersFTW
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM

I wouldn't expect him to shut him down, but could he frustrate him enough that he would hold him below his average?
Dennis Rodman's "Incedible defense on Shaq!" video has made Dennis Rodman overrated as a defender. Rodman was not the best defender in his time, he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games, he also was good at making the right kind of hustle intangible plays at the right time to help the teams he was on, and was of course a supremely elite rebounder. But he wasn't some defensive god. If you want someone to defend Lebron from that era you pick Scottie Pippen.

usa hoops
02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
dont you guys understand, rodman is a 1 way player. in some ways similar to bruce bowen. they werent needed for offense (yes, bowen was lethal on corner 3s. but he didnt have any responsibilities offensively but to take those 3s to keep his defender honest).

but if you're gonna surround rodman with a bunch of bad defenders... than NO he could not contain lebron. rodman surrounded by the bad boy pistons and 3peat bulls... YES absolutely he could contain lebron. altho... i dont know if he could cover the quicker guys later in his career. but him on the pistons? absolutely. lebron would not drop 30 lol

Is that why he struggled against Dallas in the 2011 Finals? He had a very athletic Shawn Marion, and he had to get past Tyson Chandler in the post.

ProfessorMurder
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games

Exactly, and I don't think LeBron is smart enough or mature enough to take that abuse. He would get incredibly frustrated, it would get in his head and he'd f*ck up badly. Rodman would Brickowski his ass.

While not being the greatest man defender, he's still arguably as good as Tony Allen, Marion, and other guys who gave LeBron a hard time.

imdaman99
02-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Is that why he struggled against Dallas in the 2011 Finals? He had a very athletic Shawn Marion, and he had to get past Tyson Chandler in the post.
Definitely dude :applause: Chandler is a great defensive big, to put behind good defenders to prevent layup after layup. Marion + Kidd on the perimeter, with Chandler down low. This is why I do not discount the Knicks pestering the Heat, if they ever get a chance to match up. They have the ingredients, they just need all the old farts to get healthy.

Nash
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
What is a good job? Would Lebron get his 25? Probably... would it be one of the hardest 25 ppg he would have gotten? You damn right.

SilkkTheShocker
02-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Rodman would be in foul trouble before halftime. LeBron would blow past him everytime.

pauk
02-14-2013, 05:30 PM
No, thats a speed/quickness mismatch (talent/skill mismatch is obvious)... and Lebron is even bigger than Rodman was...

Sarcastic
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Shawn Marion shut down Lebron, and Rodman was a superior defender to Marion. I don't see why he couldn't.

pauk
02-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Shawn Marion shut down Lebron, and Rodman was a superior defender to Marion. I don't see why he couldn't.

Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion.... but more than that it was himself that shut himself down

kenny817
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion....

lol^ didn't watch The Finals

Marion shut down Kobe, then Durant, then Bron

Shutting down doesn't mean they don't score...but please believe they work for those points when The Matrix is guarding them

lakerspng
02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
No, thats a speed/quickness mismatch (talent/skill mismatch is obvious)... and Lebron is even bigger than Rodman was...

I don't think you realize how strong Dennis Rodman was... he would easily muscle LBJ out of position. He was able to stand his ground against much stronger guys like CB34, Shaq, Malone, etc. Lebron's additonal height means nothing in this matchup. quickness is Lebron's only advantage, but Rodman's defensive footwork and instincts would make up for that a lot. Mentally LBJ is not ready for what Rodman would throw at him, there's nobody in the NBA today close.

Lebron would still be able to effect a game, but not close to what he's used to. It would be a fun matchup to watch for sure. I think the deciding factor would be how it was officiated because Rodman got away with a ton of shady BS that he would not get away with in today's NBA.

ILLsmak
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Exactly, and I don't think LeBron is smart enough or mature enough to take that abuse. He would get incredibly frustrated, it would get in his head and he'd f*ck up badly. Rodman would Brickowski his ass.

While not being the greatest man defender, he's still arguably as good as Tony Allen, Marion, and other guys who gave LeBron a hard time.

It's hard to say, dude... because the refs don't let people get all over LeBron. I can't think of any player who has been on him like Rodman would have been. He'd probably get some BS calls. But yea I think Rodman would be tough for Bron because dude was a great athlete and really strong.

-Smak

TheMarkMadsen
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion.... but more than that it was himself that shut himself down

Ok Skip Bayless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

kenny817
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Nobody could get into your head like Rodman could...this has to be taken into account as well

andgar923
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM

Under today's rules? NO

Under past rules? YES

Naturally, there'd be times Bron would get the best of him. But he'd defend him much better than anybody today due to the rules. I'm sure there's many players today that can do a great job on him, but the rules won't allow them to do so.

Djahjaga
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Dennis Rodman's "Incedible defense on Shaq!" video has made Dennis Rodman overrated as a defender. Rodman was not the best defender in his time, he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games, he also was good at making the right kind of hustle intangible plays at the right time to help the teams he was on, and was of course a supremely elite rebounder. But he wasn't some defensive god. If you want someone to defend Lebron from that era you pick Scottie Pippen.

This. No agenda here and nothing against Rodman (big fan, actually), but people seem to forget that Shaq averaged 27/11/4/1.5/1.5 on 64% shooting against Rodman in that series. Please, no rhetoric about how "those were the hardest 27 points Shaq ever got." When we say that, we usually mean the offensive player had to take more shots or was generally less effective. I fail to see how either applies in this case.

That video is great, and it showcases Rodman's versatility, but, like CavsFTW said, it's given Rodman a reputation he doesn't fully deserve.

Not that he couldn't guard Lebron, or that he could -- this is just something I've been thinking for a little while and wasn't sure how agreeable it would be.

ProfessorMurder
02-14-2013, 07:19 PM
It's hard to say, dude... because the refs don't let people get all over LeBron. I can't think of any player who has been on him like Rodman would have been. He'd probably get some BS calls. But yea I think Rodman would be tough for Bron because dude was a great athlete and really strong.

-Smak

It really depends on what era rules they play with, but I think he'd definitely give him fits now (with the mental game), and in the past get physical.

gengiskhan
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
The following players can easily defend LBJ because lebron's BALL HANDLING skills & BALL CONTROL is pretty ordinary!

-Dennis Rodman
-Michael Jordan
-Scottie Pippen
-Michael Cooper
-Joe Dumars
-Gary Payton

Micku
02-14-2013, 08:23 PM
This. No agenda here and nothing against Rodman (big fan, actually), but people seem to forget that Shaq averaged 27/11/4/1.5/1.5 on 64% shooting against Rodman in that series. Please, no rhetoric about how "those were the hardest 27 points Shaq ever got." When we say that, we usually mean the offensive player had to take more shots or was generally less effective. I fail to see how either applies in this case.

That video is great, and it showcases Rodman's versatility, but, like CavsFTW said, it's given Rodman a reputation he doesn't fully deserve.

Not that he couldn't guard Lebron, or that he could -- this is just something I've been thinking for a little while and wasn't sure how agreeable it would be.

No he didn't. Rodman guarded Shaq on a few instances, where he did very well by getting him out of position and taking tough shots. He did not guard him the whole series every time he was on the floor.

Just2McFly
02-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Lol at this bullshit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=mariosh01

Living Being
02-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Prime KG or Robert Horry are worth a mention.

Kingwillball
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
I will say this between Pippen and Rodman the Old school Bulls would be better equipped than anyone to make Lebron to really work for his points.

clayton
02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Old fart nostalgia at it again. "Teh past always better than present."

97 bulls
02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
I think Rodman was every bit the athlete James is. Phil Jackson said Rodman was the best athlete he ever saw.

atljonesbro
02-14-2013, 09:02 PM
You idiots consider yourself knownledge basketball fans and don't realize that your much more likely to be able to get a good shot than defend a player from getting a good shot? Rodman would do just as good as other "good" defenders. Rodman isn't like some super defender JUST BECAUSE he played in the 80s 90s. 80s 90s doesn't mean you're instantly better anyone who thinks that is either an old person who can't let his childhood go or a young person thinking that makes them sound knownledgable. 100% fact.

And of course 97 bulls fan homer a$$ says the most ridiculous statement of the thread. Ban that idiot already he's basically Euroleague but for the 80s 90s bulls.

gengiskhan
02-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Old fart nostalgia at it again. "Teh past always better than present."

no wonder why Kobe is so MJwannaBE for life. Cheaply copying a past players post-up fadeaway game to 100%.

97 bulls
02-14-2013, 09:22 PM
You idiots consider yourself knownledge basketball fans and don't realize that your much more likely to be able to get a good shot than defend a player from getting a good shot? Rodman would do just as good as other "good" defenders. Rodman isn't like some super defender JUST BECAUSE he played in the 80s 90s. 80s 90s doesn't mean you're instantly better anyone who thinks that is either an old person who can't let his childhood go or a young person thinking that makes them sound knownledgable. 100% fact.

And of course 97 bulls fan homer a$$ says the most ridiculous statement of the thread. Ban that idiot already he's basically Euroleague but for the 80s 90s bulls.
Lol what? Rodman was a terrific athlete Jackson did say he was the best athlete he ever. I actually think Rodmans biggest strength would be his endurance. I think his defense in the fourth quarter physically would be as strong as in the first quarter

ThaRegul8r
02-14-2013, 09:52 PM

This isn't about this statement in particular, just a general statement based on several decades of participating and lurking on basketball message boards.

I find it interesting that often a defensive player doesn't get credit if his defensive assignment has a subpar game or series (with the caveat that it depends on if the agenda is to disparage the particular offensive player in question, but then it becomes more about that player "choking" than any positive thing the defender did). It's always, the offensive player just wasn't making shots he normally makes, or he stopped himself. It's like it's not possible for any defender to adversely affect him in any way or simply play great defense on him. It's always about what the offensive player didn't do rather than what the defensive player did.

La Frescobaldi
02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Lol at this bullshit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=mariosh01

You might not like it but that's a great find.

It's even more impressive to remember how Marion shut down LeBron in that Finals matchup when you can see the stats laid out like that. 8 full points off his average against Marion in the regular season.

That's awesome

PP34Deuce
02-14-2013, 11:13 PM
The best defenders on lebron are not crazy wingspan 3's like Durant, and George. Its guys with girth and lower body strength.

I feel like Rodman lacks the bulk. George and Durant lack the bulk.

THe perfect defender on Bron is 2003-2007 Ron Artest. That Artest had bulk(250-255 muscle) height (6'7) and very quick feet.

Smoke117
02-14-2013, 11:33 PM
I'd say a lot of it depends on what era are we playing in? Rodman's or now? A lot of shit Rodman did was just antagonistic, blatant cheap shots that would get him thrown out before half time right now. It would also have to be a younger Rodman and not the one who was guarding Malone during the 2nd Bulls Three-peat. The guy that would have the most success guarding Lebron in whatever era would be a 93- Scottie Pippen when he put muscle onto his frame. He has the length, athleticism, and basketball IQ to give him fits.

magnax1
02-14-2013, 11:41 PM
I think Rodman would be better at the job the anyone else. Rodman is probably the best individual defender ever in my opinion. At least for Small forwards and bigs (maybe some guards too, but less so than forwards and bigs, and only when he was young really)

DMV2
02-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Rodman with the Bad Boys would shut LeBron down.
Rodman with the Bulls would also shut LeBron down.

But it wouldn't just be him by himself, Pistons teammates would help. Pippen and MJ too.

Whoah10115
02-14-2013, 11:44 PM

Not really. Rodman is one of the elite defenders of all-time so I don't get what you're saying.

No one is going to regularly shut him down. But Rodman is one of the very best defenders of all-time and he absolutely could be put on Lebron and more than likely would be, unless Pippen was on the court with him.

Mrofir
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM

I don't agree that Rodman is overrated. My memory tells me that during his prime everyone knew rodman was an elite defender, not just a pest, in addition to his rebounding ridiculousness. But I do agree that if the Bulls were playing the Heat, they might well end up matching Pippen with Lebron and sticking Rodman on Wade or even (maybe most likely) Bosh. That would be innnnteresting.

sekachu
02-15-2013, 12:33 AM

You are overlooked Rodman 's quickness and reflect. Even MJ has to work for his points against him. Rodman could defend lebron without a doubt.

Djahjaga
02-15-2013, 12:36 AM
No he didn't. Rodman guarded Shaq on a few instances, where he did very well by getting him out of position and taking tough shots. He did not guard him the whole series every time he was on the floor.

People seem to think he did guard Shaq the entire series. The reality was that he couldn't. He was capable of guarding him separate possessions every now and then, just like Lebron would be able to guard Dwight every now and then (well, the Dwight of old, anyway), but not for a whole game, or a whole series (!).

My larger point was that (largely because of that video in particular) Rodman has this reputation as a defensive god that can guard anyone in any situation for any length of time, and that this isn't the case.

Gotterdammerung
02-15-2013, 12:38 AM

Got the gist of it.

Doesn't anyone know why the Spurs did not put Dennis Rodman on a red-hot Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1995 Western Conference finals?

Yes, while the Spurs had Robinson in his MVP prime, if Rodman was some all-world defender on the level of Bobby Jones he would've guarded Hakeem.

But I recall reading his autobiography and elsewhere that the Spurs thought he would get in foul trouble quickly so they gambled and had Rodman guard Horry in the perimeter.

As a result Rodman's instincts led him to sink back in the paint, leaving Horry open all series long. :facepalm

plowking
02-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Under today's rules? NO

Under past rules? YES

Naturally, there'd be times Bron would get the best of him. But he'd defend him much better than anybody today due to the rules. I'm sure there's many players today that can do a great job on him, but the rules won't allow them to do so.

Lebron had a hand check on him 25 feet away from the basket every single time today. It got even more evident at the end of the game with Westbrook on him. Stop acting as if you could pick people up and move them in previous rules.

Some of you older, more ignorant posters really overhype the difference in defenses. If anything, defenses are better now.

BrickingStar
02-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Rodman doesn't even have 1/2 of the skill of pippen defensive skills, pippen doesn't need to get in your head ordeliver cheap shots to defend you. If rodman is allowed to deliver cheap shots than lebron can push off all day too :lol

ThaRegul8r
02-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Doesn't anyone know why the Spurs did not put Dennis Rodman on a red-hot Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1995 Western Conference finals?

Yes, while the Spurs had Robinson in his MVP prime, if Rodman was some all-world defender on the level of Bobby Jones he would've guarded Hakeem.

Robinson was First Team All-Defense and played Hakeem's position. Why would he not guard him?

But I recall reading his autobiography and elsewhere that the Spurs thought he would get in foul trouble quickly so they gambled and had Rodman guard Horry in the perimeter.

As a result Rodman's instincts led him to sink back in the paint, leaving Horry open all series long. :facepalm

Rodman's obsession with rebounds led him to sink back into the paint in order to be in position to rebound. I've posted about this before, but I'm unsure if I did so on this board, as I'm a member of several boards. Sometimes I forget what I've posted where.

On an aside, speaking of Rodman, that's why I only take the Detroit DPOY Rodman on any team of mine, and none of the later versions. If what you're doing on the court doesn't help your team win games then it's meaningless. Getting big rebounding totals at the expense of leaving your defensive assignment open does not help your team win games. That's one reason why people can't just cite stats.

Whoah10115
02-15-2013, 01:48 AM
On an aside, speaking of Rodman, that's why I only take the Detroit DPOY Rodman on any team of mine, and none of the later versions. If what you're doing on the court doesn't help your team win games then it's meaningless. Getting big rebounding totals at the expense of leaving your defensive assignment open does not help your team win games. That's one reason why people can't just cite stats.

This is completely accurate and people don't take it into consideration when looking at stats. It's not just accurate, but it's the truth and only right that it's acknowledged...unfortunately, it is not.

But I don't agree on Rodman...at least not completely. He played SF for most of the time in Detroit. His first year in Chicago was a standout year. I think he was less impressive in San Antonio, but he was only there two years and his second year is the more celebrated season, despite him missing 33 games and only starting 26. But again, he did play PF so I don't think he was leaving defensive assignments.

Gotterdammerung
02-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Robinson was First Team All-Defense and played Hakeem's position. Why would he not guard him?
35 ppg... 12 rpg... & 5 dimes ring any bells? It was obviously not working. :no:

In the autobiography, Rodman said that in the locker room, prior to the games, Robinson was visibly shaking. Whether that was from adrenaline or from a triple espresso shot, I dunno. :oldlol:

Again, if Rodman was some all-world defender that neutralized any top offensive threat, who better than Hakeem Olajuwon at his absolute peak?

That the Spurs stuck with Robinson, despite getting torched every game, says more about this hypothetical scenario than anyone realizes. :facepalm

R.I.P.
02-15-2013, 04:56 AM
You might not like it but that's a great find.

It's even more impressive to remember how Marion shut down LeBron in that Finals matchup when you can see the stats laid out like that. 8 full points off his average against Marion in the regular season.

That's awesome

It

Gotterdammerung
02-15-2013, 06:11 AM
... Stop acting as if you could pick people up and move them in previous rules. ...
Actually Derek Harper was notorious for using his vice like grip to force the ball carrier into certain spots on the court. It got so bad during the 94 Finals when Harper abused the Rockets guards.

The NBA had to change this rule not long afterwards.

DCL
02-15-2013, 06:24 AM
rodman might tire lebron out and make him shoot a weaker percentage and grab less rebounds or other facets but lebron would still get 26, 28, or 30.

if lebron gets 28 points on a low 40% fg, you've done your job as a defender. but you ain't stopping him from collecting buckets throughout the game.

KOBE143
02-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Yes

If Rodman can stop prime young Shaq then LeBron is just a piece of cake..

People here really underrate Rodman defense.. Dude was one of the best defender of all time.. A beast in defense.. He would stop LeBron with no sweat..

ProfessorMurder
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
That the Spurs stuck with Robinson, despite getting torched every game, says more about this hypothetical scenario than anyone realizes. :facepalm

BAD COACHING.

TheCorporation
02-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Lol at this bullshit.

29 ppg on 49%

Yep, contained him! :lol

bingoa
02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
The best defenders on lebron are not crazy wingspan 3's like Durant, and George. Its guys with girth and lower body strength.

I feel like Rodman lacks the bulk. George and Durant lack the bulk.

THe perfect defender on Bron is 2003-2007 Ron Artest. That Artest had bulk(250-255 muscle) height (6'7) and very quick feet.
I remember Wes Matthews doing a good job n the Rose Garden this season ....well Bron got his but Wes did manage to cause TOs and make Bron take long jumpers.

kshutts1
02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
As PP34Deuce stated, prime defensive Artest was probably the player most suited to guard Lebron effectively. Incredible strength, along with great lateral quickness.

Rodman didn't have the lateral quickness (at least not when I watched him, but that was with the Bulls) to stick with Lebron on the perimeter for an entire game.

Second best player to guard Lebron is obviously Pippen. Only place where Lebron has the upper hand is strength, which means post play, and while Lebron has gotten much, much better I'd still take my chances on Lebron trying to beat Pip in the post rather than on the perimeter.

Whoah10115
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
35 ppg... 12 rpg... & 5 dimes ring any bells? It was obviously not working. :no:

In the autobiography, Rodman said that in the locker room, prior to the games, Robinson was visibly shaking. Whether that was from adrenaline or from a triple espresso shot, I dunno. :oldlol:

Again, if Rodman was some all-world defender that neutralized any top offensive threat, who better than Hakeem Olajuwon at his absolute peak?

Robinson played awesome defense on Hakeem. Hakeem just had as good as series as...as...

As PP34Deuce stated, prime defensive Artest was probably the player most suited to guard Lebron effectively. Incredible strength, along with great lateral quickness.

Rodman didn't have the lateral quickness (at least not when I watched him, but that was with the Bulls) to stick with Lebron on the perimeter for an entire game.

Second best player to guard Lebron is obviously Pippen. Only place where Lebron has the upper hand is strength, which means post play, and while Lebron has gotten much, much better I'd still take my chances on Lebron trying to beat Pip in the post rather than on the perimeter.

Rodman had much greater lateral quickness than Artest ever had. Maybe not when he was with the Bulls, but while he was in Detroit, absolutely...even in San Antonio...especially that first year.

Smoke117
02-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Artest never had great lateral quickness.

kshutts1
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Artest never had great lateral quickness.

If he never had great lateral quickness, then what enabled him to guard perimeter players so effectively? Would that/those attributes have helped him to stay in front of Lebron?
Without knowing what they were, I say yes... if he could guard other perimeter players' quickness effectively, then he could have guarded Lebron's quickness effectively, and thus I stand by my answer of Artest.

And as for Rodman having great lateral quickness.. you mentioned "maybe not with the Bulls" so I assume you noticed that I was basing my opinion on just his Bulls years.. but just wanted to clarify that. I have no firsthand experience of Rodman before he joined the Bulls.

tontoz
02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
It is a lot harder to double Lebron than it was to double Jordan because Lebron has Wade/Bosh.

wakencdukest
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Lebron had a hand check on him 25 feet away from the basket every single time today. It got even more evident at the end of the game with Westbrook on him. Stop acting as if you could pick people up and move them in previous rules.

Some of you older, more ignorant posters really overhype the difference in defenses. If anything, defenses are better now.

That whole argument is stupid. A great defender from then would still be great today. A few rule changes aren't going to make someone with great defensive instincts forget everything all of a sudden.

Hank
02-15-2013, 05:51 PM
A great defender back then you can count on one hand. Today just about every team has a good defensive player on their roster somewhere, whereas back then 20 teams had garbage defenses all around. High scoring games in the 1980's was the norm because of the lack of defense league wide.

The difference is perimeter defense has greatly gotten better over the past 15 years. Compare it to the games back then and it was a comedy show how open players were every night. It was free pickings.

Pointguard
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
29 ppg on 49%

Yep, contained him! :lol

Yeah, and its not like Lebron's shooting percentage hurts against him either. Different if Lebron he had been missing shots. Lebron wasn't playing with his heart in it and he still shot 48%. Marion was never know as a Lebron stopper before this but people get carried away with things even when see it and can tell it wasn't about Marion.

La Frescobaldi
02-15-2013, 08:24 PM
It is a lot harder to double Lebron than it was to double Jordan because Lebron has Wade/Bosh.
Kukoc & Kerr from downtown changes that argument most drastically

Derka
02-15-2013, 08:25 PM
In the 90s, yes.

Today, he'd foul out.

Whoah10115
02-15-2013, 08:35 PM
A great defender back then you can count on one hand. Today just about every team has a good defensive player on their roster somewhere, whereas back then 20 teams had garbage defenses all around. High scoring games in the 1980's was the norm because of the lack of defense league wide.

The difference is perimeter defense has greatly gotten better over the past 15 years. Compare it to the games back then and it was a comedy show how open players were every night. It was free pickings.

Some people just started watching basketball last season...

/Fall of 2010.

Pointguard
02-15-2013, 09:22 PM

Lebron scored more without Wade and Bosh.

Whoah10115
02-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Lebron scored more without Wade and Bosh.

He had too. Was less efficient. Was more ball-dominant.

deja vu
06-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Marion and Kawhi Leonard can shut down LeBron, but Rodman couldn't? :roll:

jamal99
06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Well if we're talking about NBA Finals, then I would shut down LeBron...

poido123
06-12-2013, 05:30 AM

Stop with the excuses you young little f*gg*ts.

I wouldn't even dare bring up old school basketball and compare it to today, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and if you want to go down this path, I could easily say there is little to no good defensive centres in the league today and little to no enforcers or good trash talkers.

You have no room to complain or bring up comparisons from past eras, when the Heat have a clearly stacked team, with a leader who is supposed to be compared to Jordan :facepalm:

poido123
06-12-2013, 05:39 AM

I knew you would be trying to find an angle to explain Heat losing. :facepalm:

This is coming from a guy who was trying to compare prime Lebron to prime Jordan, you clearly are dillusional.

In no way is today's defense better than 80's 90's, the only guys who will agree with you are young cats who haven't watched more than just highlights of Jordan's era.

poido123
06-12-2013, 05:44 AM
and to answer OP's question, without doubt he could.

If Lebron is displaying this mental fragility in today's game, he would certainly struggle with the worm in his face, trash talking Lebron to the point where Lebron went into full defer mode.

Rodman wasn't just about his ability to defend, but his ability to get in a weakminded player's head. Something Lebron would certainly struggle with.

Ai2death
06-12-2013, 05:53 AM
C'mon ppl.
The way bron flops, rodman would foul out in the first quarter

sportjames23
06-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Marion and Kawhi Leonard can shut down LeBron, but Rodman couldn't? :roll:

Thank you.

Teanett
06-12-2013, 07:07 AM
C'mon ppl.
The way bron flops, rodman would foul out in the first quarter

such bullshit. rodman was an elite flopper himself.