PDA

View Full Version : How old do you think you can carry on playing basketball til?

stevieming
02-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Been thinking about this, it's been my number 1 sport for the last 18 years, but as a guard and getting slower and less explosive, I've been thinking about how long I got left before I become totally rubbish....well to the level where you're like so annoyed with what you use to be able to do and what you can't do at all.

I've noticed I can't drive as well; can't shoot as well at the end of games as legs have gone; lateral quickness disappearing - very annoying as people I use to lock up 2-3 years ago are just walking by me now, I have to body check them rather than just play D.

At what age did you realise it's time to hang it up?

miggyme1
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Been thinking about this, it's been my number 1 sport for the last 18 years, but as a guard and getting slower and less explosive, I've been thinking about how long I got left before I become totally rubbish....well to the level where you're like so annoyed with what you use to be able to do and what you can't do at all.

I've noticed I can't drive as well; can't shoot as well at the end of games as legs have gone; lateral quickness disappearing - very annoying as people I use to lock up 2-3 years ago are just walking by me now, I have to body check them rather than just play D.

At what age did you realise it's time to hang it up?

are u serious??? if obama can still play im sure u can homie.....ive played againts guys nearly twice my age...im 25...yes the quickness leaves...but the older u get the better your jumper should get and u should have a higher bball iq.....meaning....knowing how to set screens and getting yoself open without having the ball...i think u can play forever.....its not football.lol

01amberfirewv
02-17-2013, 09:25 AM
How old are you? You just have to take care of yourself. I think I remember Kobe saying his dad still plays today.

I'm older and can't jump as high and I don't move quite as quick but I still do ok

Burgz V2
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
as long as you have a tight handle, a good jumpshot and a good understanding of the game, then you can play pretty much until you physically are unable to run up and down a basketball court. Sure you may not be able to dunk and block many shots, but overall physical fitness is more than that. If you take care of your body earlier in your playing days you will be able to play a long time. I've played against guys in their 50s and they have all said the same thing: take care of your body.

stevieming
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
probably phrased question wrong. In that physically, of course you can carry on playing until you're 50. What I was trying to get at was the drop off in physical ability, so much so you start not to enjoy the game as much.

Just standing around and getting to a spot for a jump shot isn't fun for me. I get more enjoyment out of beating my man off the dribble and going in for a drive. Which isn't happening too often these days, and when I do get there, I'm getting my shot blocked or throwing an ugly shot off the rim/backboard because I am coming down to earth too quickly. :facepalm

To be fair, my passing game has improved now that I don't try to score so much. Always could pass but didn't want to, now I find I can impact a game more by passing. And I am enjoying getting assists but I just miss being able to knife through and score whenever I wanted to...:(

Anyone packed it in because of that?

B-Low
02-18-2013, 02:40 AM
like 3 years ago :oldlol:

miggyme1
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
probably phrased question wrong. In that physically, of course you can carry on playing until you're 50. What I was trying to get at was the drop off in physical ability, so much so you start not to enjoy the game as much.

Just standing around and getting to a spot for a jump shot isn't fun for me. I get more enjoyment out of beating my man off the dribble and going in for a drive. Which isn't happening too often these days, and when I do get there, I'm getting my shot blocked or throwing an ugly shot off the rim/backboard because I am coming down to earth too quickly. :facepalm

To be fair, my passing game has improved now that I don't try to score so much. Always could pass but didn't want to, now I find I can impact a game more by passing. And I am enjoying getting assists but I just miss being able to knife through and score whenever I wanted to...:(

Anyone packed it in because of that?

karmas a bitch!! " always could pass but didnt want" lol now look at u...u got no choice but to pass the damn rock cuz ya ass too slow.lmao...mane look u making a big deal out of nothing....u think kobe,mj etc gone be able to play at they mvp level at an older age???what make u so special...its just life...learn how to adapt your game...get a post game.....become a greaT spot up shooter...the game is all about gettin BUCKETS....no matter how u get them...just get BUCKETS. stop actin like the best to ever play the game or summin....ADAPT YOUR GAME.

Rake2204
02-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Anyone packed it in because of that?I'd be curious to know your age.

I've been thinking about the end of my athletic prime for most of the last 10 years. I'm 28 now, but when I graduated high school, I kind of thought I'd be heading athletically down hill right then. Of course, I soon realized I actually hadn't yet reached my athletic peak.

Now, assuming I've peaked, I'm kind of wondering how things are going to go from here. Like, when's it going to start heading downward and how? I was jumping as high as ever this past summer, but I think I was dunking in games a little less than I used to. I'm wondering if that's a reflection of my endurance slacking due to age or because I didn't train as hard.

I've been fearing not being able to dunk or chasedown block folk for a long time. Thankfully, I think knowing my time was limited in being able to do things like that, I did not take them for granted. I enjoyed my athletic prime. And to be clear, my basketball skills go well beyond dunking, blocking, and general athleticism, but there's no denying that athleticism enhances most of those on-court abilities.

If it helps at all, one of my friends just turned 40 and he's still an elite, minor league level player. He works very hard to maintain his shape and abilities though. He's around 6'0'' and used to be a fringe dunker. I recall him trying to dunk (and often succeeding) during our practices in the late 90's (he was an assistant coach). He doesn't try to dunk anymore, but he still seems pretty darn athletic and whatnot. Practicing with his minor league team, he says the biggest difference between him now and younger him is his defensive stamina. He can still operate in every other facet, but he said it was tough keeping the young guards in front of him.

I think aging past prime is a tough transition for any athlete who prides themselves in their abilities. I also like to think it's something many struggle with for a while, but then slowly embrace over time. I'm guessing the initial drop is the worst, the "I thought I was going to dunk that but now my body will not let me and now everyone feels bad for the guy who hasn't realized what he can't do anymore" phase. I figure it comes down to coming to terms with who your older self becomes as a basketball player. Embrace it.

L.Kizzle
02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Are you serious you play until you can't play anymore.

It might be tomorrow, next week or 40 years from now. Only you will know, it's your body.

Rake2204
02-18-2013, 05:04 PM

It might be tomorrow, next week or 40 years from now. Only you will know, it's your body.I felt like he was talking about whether one's drop in their own ability due to age ever becomes too stark and depressing to carry on playing. Even then, I think many, many ballplayers continue on, just as you mentioned, but I see where he's coming from. I imagine it's a heck of a shot to the ego to no longer be able to do things on the court you knew you once never had to think twice about; to not be able to outrun or outjump people you used to be able to dominate at half speed.

L.Kizzle
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I felt like he was talking about whether one's drop in their own ability due to age ever becomes too stark and depressing to carry on playing. Even then, I think many, many ballplayers continue on, just as you mentioned, but I see where he's coming from. I imagine it's a heck of a shot to the ego to no longer be able to do things on the court you knew you once never had to think twice about; to not be able to outrun or outjump people you used to be able to dominate at half speed.
I remember a few years back, someone posted about Chris Gatling. He was long gone from the league,but was still killing at the local YMCA a poster attended.

So your skill might deteriorate where you can't do the same to young bucks coming into the league, but random joe's, they can ball them up probably to age 60 if they stay active.

LikeABosh
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Can't see the future but I'd love to still play in my 60's. I want to be one of those old dudes at the park schooling all the kids with passing and fundementals.

Rake2204
02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I remember a few years back, someone posted about Chris Gatling. He was long gone from the league,but was still killing at the local YMCA a poster attended.

So your skill might deteriorate where you can't do the same to young bucks coming into the league, but random joe's, they can ball them up probably to age 60 if they stay active.Yeah, I feel you. Not to be difficult, but Chris Gatling is a listed 6'10'', so there's going to be a lot of things he's always going to be able to do on the floor by default (i.e. have rebounds fall into his hands, be a strong defensive presence in the paint, shoot over most defenders). For the 6'3'' and under crowd though, I feel like a lot of those default things won't always stick around.

stevieming
02-19-2013, 07:39 AM
karmas a bitch!! " always could pass but didnt want" lol now look at u...u got no choice but to pass the damn rock cuz ya ass too slow.lmao...mane look u making a big deal out of nothing....u think kobe,mj etc gone be able to play at they mvp level at an older age???what make u so special...its just life...learn how to adapt your game...get a post game.....become a greaT spot up shooter...the game is all about gettin BUCKETS....no matter how u get them...just get BUCKETS. stop actin like the best to ever play the game or summin....ADAPT YOUR GAME.

yup I'll acknowledge that. But when you're young, most people be jacking up shots, wanting to be like Kobe or MJ.

I've got a post game, but not much point trying to post up people taller than me. Guards typically don't post up forwards, and the post game doesn't really translate to a 5 on 5 game for a guard.

I hate to sound whiney...but the whole point was i don't want to be just a spot up shooter......

stevieming
02-19-2013, 07:48 AM
I'd be curious to know your age.

I've been thinking about the end of my athletic prime for most of the last 10 years. I'm 28 now, but when I graduated high school, I kind of thought I'd be heading athletically down hill right then. Of course, I soon realized I actually hadn't yet reached my athletic peak.

Now, assuming I've peaked, I'm kind of wondering how things are going to go from here. Like, when's it going to start heading downward and how? I was jumping as high as ever this past summer, but I think I was dunking in games a little less than I used to. I'm wondering if that's a reflection of my endurance slacking due to age or because I didn't train as hard.

I've been fearing not being able to dunk or chasedown block folk for a long time. Thankfully, I think knowing my time was limited in being able to do things like that, I did not take them for granted. I enjoyed my athletic prime. And to be clear, my basketball skills go well beyond dunking, blocking, and general athleticism, but there's no denying that athleticism enhances most of those on-court abilities.

If it helps at all, one of my friends just turned 40 and he's still an elite, minor league level player. He works very hard to maintain his shape and abilities though. He's around 6'0'' and used to be a fringe dunker. I recall him trying to dunk (and often succeeding) during our practices in the late 90's (he was an assistant coach). He doesn't try to dunk anymore, but he still seems pretty darn athletic and whatnot. Practicing with his minor league team, he says the biggest difference between him now and younger him is his defensive stamina. He can still operate in every other facet, but he said it was tough keeping the young guards in front of him.

I think aging past prime is a tough transition for any athlete who prides themselves in their abilities. I also like to think it's something many struggle with for a while, but then slowly embrace over time. I'm guessing the initial drop is the worst, the "I thought I was going to dunk that but now my body will not let me and now everyone feels bad for the guy who hasn't realized what he can't do anymore" phase. I figure it comes down to coming to terms with who your older self becomes as a basketball player. Embrace it.

I am 34. And the realisation of the drop off was during a fast break with a ball thrown ahead of me, I was slightly ahead of the defender and he sped past me to get the ball back for his team. This was a guy I out raced a few years back consistently, that really depressed me.

I have a right crossover hesitation move that use to be unstoppable, now it's useless.....:facepalm

Man, at 28 you're still in your peak!!! Enjoy it!

Age 40 and still playing well!! Thats what I wanted to hear! :cheers:

Going to hit the gym harder to try and keep what little athleticism I have left.

Thorpesaurous
02-19-2013, 09:10 AM
I was a biggish PG in my day. About 6', and in HS I played at 190ish. In college it jumped to about 210.

I played actively, like 2-5 times a week depending on the time of year, right up to 31. I definitely got slower, but I always a good post game, and mid post footwork, which can make up for a lot of that, but my ability to get off the ground just plummetted. I was able to occasionally dunk from my junior year in high school, through college, but after that couldn't quite get it anymore. I was more occasionally able to hang from the rim. By 26 or so I'd become a much better shooter than I had been in my youth. I'd been playing almost constantly for 20 years at that point, and the extra strength I'd developed gave me way more range. Combined with my ability to run a break, I was still among the better players on most courts I played on until about 30. And people loved playing with me because I'm a really good passer.
Then at 32 I ripped up my knee. Got it fixed, continued playing, started developing arthritis in the other knee, and now am on the verge of tearing my achilles. I've gotten as big 245 over the years, but generally hover aroung 225, 230, so I know I carry more weight than I should, but I was never exactly small framed.

Now I don't play much. When I do it's more horsing around, and I don't really like it. But you can still see the skill set flash at times. I'll use some rediculous step to get by someone I have no business getting by. And I'll definitely jam someone's finger with a pass when they weren't even aware they were open at least once and usually more than that. And once the rust wears off I can get on a streak with jumpers. And since I have a penchant for shooting bank threes, they have a certain pinache to them.

But finishing around the rim has been turned into a crap shoot of gimmicky releases and english off the backboard, which again, can show a certain skill level of days past, but they just don't go in near enough for my taste. And I used to be a plus defender, but those days are long gone.

It's actually quite depressing for me to go to a basketball court.

I will say this, size tends to play longer, so if you're 6-5+, you can really hang on for a long time if you can just keep getting yourself up and down the court.

TylerOO
02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
It has nothing to do with age, its all about your body. Im gonna play until I physically cant.

JMT
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
It has nothing to do with age, its all about your body. Im gonna play until I physically cant.

Well, it has something to do with age, but essentially I agree.

With age typically comes more responsibility at home and on the job. Those things cut into time previously spent playing ball or exercising. The body is slower to recover and quicker to atrophy. It's a vicious cycle.

For most serious players, it's when your feet go. As Barkley has said "Most players have bad knees. ALL players have bad feet."

Agree with some of the "older" (all probably 20 years younger than me) posters who say that it reaches a point where the game isn't fun anymore. It's tough to go from competing athletically with all comers to being happy jogging for jumpers.

ILLsmak
02-19-2013, 07:55 PM
lol. I don't play ball like that anymore... or rarely. I'm gonna be 30. I am not a big dude anyway and I basically ****ed my ankle beyond repair at age 17. It's still bad because I didn't get surgery, and it's weak... so if I land wrong I'll sprain it again or plant it and fall. Kind of embarrassing. I lost my athleticism then, but I'm stronger. Mental toughness and all of that. As long as you compete, you can play. I can get in anyone's head on D. Someone might blow by me once but they won't do it twice.

I don't play ball to score anymore. I don't think I ever did. But I used to have fun surprising people with shot blocks and D. I can still get those even though my vert is probably more than a foot less.

It's all about what you wanna do. Don't go in there with an ego just ball. Have fun and find a role. You can always push people around. haha. No matter what.

Reminds me of this guy I was shooting with awhile ago... he came up while I was shooting alone and I passed him the ball. And he got read to shoot... but before he did he was like, I play professional baseball... and then he bricked the shit out of it. haha. Don't be that guy. I mean, in the end he was wetting, but you know what I mean... it's not that important. Play the right way, play hard, you'll be fine.

-Smak

Rake2204
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
I am 34. And the realisation of the drop off was during a fast break with a ball thrown ahead of me, I was slightly ahead of the defender and he sped past me to get the ball back for his team. This was a guy I out raced a few years back consistently, that really depressed me.

I have a right crossover hesitation move that use to be unstoppable, now it's useless.....:facepalm

Man, at 28 you're still in your peak!!! Enjoy it!

Age 40 and still playing well!! Thats what I wanted to hear! :cheers:

Going to hit the gym harder to try and keep what little athleticism I have left.Maybe it's about crossing a threshold. I mean, maybe we all must struggle with the fact that our spry athleticism will eventually wane. And maybe we just won't be able to accept that for a long time.

But I bet at some point, older ball players who wish to continue playing learn to accept their new limits in some areas and just begin expanding their games in other spots. And perhaps that's where all the 40+ Larry Bird-level-crafty players come from.

For instance, there's been a 5'9'' fellow who's surely in his 50's who I've seen around our park and gym here for at least the last seven years or so. He's not fast, he's can't jump, but he works his tail off, very consistently executes the correct cuts, and more or less plays a very fundamental level of basketball. That still doesn't save him from being swatted if he attempts a layup with a guy like me trailing, but it keeps him afloat in most aspects of the game. In fact, it not only keeps him afloat, it actually gives him a lot of advantages. He scores, he rebounds, he does a little of everything just because he's tinkered his game to maximize his abilities.

Whereas right now I might opt to forego a correct cut on a particular trip down the floor, choosing instead to hover for the ball then blast past my defender and finish above the rim, I'm guessing someday - when I can't rise or blaze anymore - I'll just have to re-establish my game to the point where I'm always making those correct cuts, living off intelligence and strategy instead trying to out-athleticize everyone.

ace23
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Reminds me of this guy I was shooting with awhile ago... he came up while I was shooting alone and I passed him the ball. And he got read to shoot... but before he did he was like, I play professional baseball... and then he bricked the shit out of it. haha. Don't be that guy. I mean, in the end he was wetting, but you know what I mean... it's not that important. Play the right way, play hard, you'll be fine.

-Smak
He's a baseball player, though.

Rake2204
02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
He's a baseball player, though.Ha, true. My best friend played in the Washington Nationals' system for a few years and he'd come with me to the courts and play ball every now and again. Worst shooter ever, but he knew that and he was cool with it. He tended to make up for it by rebounding very well and doing all those other little things. Also one time he caught my pass off the backboard and randomly dunked over a guy something fierce - the only time I saw him dunk in a game. Other than that though... it wasn't pretty.

imdaman99
02-27-2013, 03:24 AM
itll be depressing if i cant cover the fastest kids in the park anymore. im gettin up there in age, my physical prime i was a speedster and depended 100% on my speed and quickness. now im a lot older, but i feel like i got stronger and my speed hasnt deteriorated as much. im a lot smarter too, i can lock up most dudes that aint 50 lbs heavier than me or 6 inchers taller :oldlol: yeah my offense has become less effective, but i can take over when needed. keep playing dude, the older you get you'll realize it might be the only thing keeping you in shape :cheers:

kNicKz
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
play with people your age if you get destroyed by youngins, or try to outsmart them (which is alot easier than you think)

intrinsic
03-04-2013, 11:31 PM
I never played on a competitive level, but I played several times a week. Quit the year before I turned 30, and it was the right time for me. The anticipation and quickness that bailed me out of bad decisions had left me. It had come to a point where I would think twice before leaving my feet, ending with a turnover or giving up an uncontested layup. I've heard horror stories about knee injuries robbing friends of the things I take for granted, like walking up/down a flight of stairs. The minor injuries were more frequent, and would linger around much longer.

After work, five or six times a year, I'll find my way to an open court to shoot by myself. That 's enough to satisfy me. I can find some real joy in counting makes and chasing down my misses.

03-06-2013, 05:05 AM
I am official done playing seriously.

For my own good.

scm5
03-08-2013, 03:26 PM
28 and I feel more athletic now than I ever was.

I have noticed that even though I'm more explosive now, it's much harder for me to defend smaller guards now than it was for me when I was younger.

I wonder why that is.

mobbdeep
03-20-2013, 04:49 PM
There is a 65 year old guy still playing full court games at my gym. He is only a spot up shooter now but still a good shooter. He's still good on D and can run the floor well.

devin112
03-21-2013, 05:56 AM
You can play as a grandpa, I've seen it. You just have to change your game. Become a great shooter, work on tricky moves and you'll always have a spot in a pickup game at the park.

I used to dunk back in the day and when I lost the hops I wanted to give up. I just changed up my game. I used to penetrate with speed and now I'm more crafty and use more crossovers, jab steps, sweeps, etc... I can't dunk anymore and that sucks but I can still score. I used to work from the 3 point line and get to the rim, now I set up at the elbows and either hit the midrange shot, sweep to the rim or back up and post up.

Young days: 3s, penetrate with speed.
These days: 3s, mid range, post ups, penetrate with craftiness.

Still score about the same, just in different ways.

Oh yeah on the defensive side, I force left (their off hand whichever it is) and when the get a step on me, I hand check and if that doesn't work and just act like Artest and rip the ball as they're trying to layup. usually I rip the ball cleanly but I really don't care if I get hand and foul them, they usually don't want to do it again. I foul a lot more then back in the day, nothing dirty though. I just prevent the shot, they get the ball back and try something else. In my mind, it's almost like a defensive stop. I know it's not of course.

Thorpesaurous
03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I just played in a nice full court coaches vs. refs game for the season end of the league I was coaching in. First time since probably college I played in a real game with real refs and a scoreboard and clock and the whole deal. We had 11 guys, and we played 10 minute quarters, so we were running line shifts every five minutes, which was fine with all of us. It's a big full size court we were playing on, and we easily would've run out of gas.

The refs are local college age kids, some still in HS even. It's a nice job the community rec department puts together. Pay is ok, and you work a couple days a week reffing little kids. The refs had won several years running, but when I walked in an hour early and started stretching and saw our guys coming in, I had to say I thought we had a shot. My buddy who I coach with is 6-6 and around 260 these days. And we had another guy in his mid thirties a little taller than him.

It's been a while for me, so when we started putting together teams, I deferred and sat until the second shift. Some other guy declared he was a PG, so I figured I'd wait till the second line so I knew we'd both have someone to bring the ball up.

We got up a bit in the first shift, but when I got out there I got hot quick. I banked a three, which I heard a bunch of shit about, then broke down my guy next trip and threw a no look to my big for a layup which drew an laughs and oohs from the crowd of other young kids who came to razz their buddies, and kids from the teams with their parents.
When I banked a second three the ref kids really started talking. They put their best guy on me, and I got a reversal around the top of the key about 6 feet behind the three point line stood with it, and when he didn't come I heard my buddy on the bench telling the other unit "that's going up" as I launched and hit, at which point I asked their stopper to let me know when he thought it wasn't "lucky shit" anymore and I'll stop.

The next few shifts there were more no looks. My big was good. And one Rondo style fake around the back which I lofted high off the wrong foot and banked in. They started playing off me in the lane realizing that I just can't get off the ground anymore and they're better off playing me to pass than to shoot. But I got a few off craftily. I backed rimmed a running halfcourter at the end of the third. I just generally felt great.

After each session I went to get water, where I was roundly given a talking to by the HS kids for blowing up their boys, and my buddy's kids were wildly impressed and couldn't believe all the oohs I got. They've seen me spin a ball on my finger, and shoot a bit, even dick around in a pickup game, but never seen me really play.

I'm was a week from my 36th Birthday, and had just spent three days on a bender at the Big East, and was heading down to the title game just a few hours after the game. And in spite of the fact that my knees swelled up like hell on Sunday, it was one of the highlights of my favorite week of the year.

Lebron23
03-22-2013, 03:18 AM
I really want to play basketball againts you.

ripthekik
03-22-2013, 07:06 AM
I really want to play basketball againts you.
LMAO lebron23, come on man. You don't even play basketball.

Lebron23
03-22-2013, 09:19 AM
LMAO lebron23, come on man. You don't even play basketball.

We just played last Wednesday.

beastmode
04-27-2013, 06:09 AM
just evolve, become a shooter

sundizz
04-28-2013, 09:37 AM
I think I'll be able to play until I'm 45. I am 27, and just found the elixir of youth. I'm serious. Ice cold showers. I didn't realize how ridiculously awesome they are for recovery and making your body feel good. At 27, I feel better than I ever have in my entire life. I've played basketball 6 days in a row, and I feel like I am getting stronger everyday.

I've had lower back problems my whole life. I do a 10 minute stretching routine everyday, no exceptions, and hit my body (and especially lower back) with the 2 minute ice cold shower. I actually just finished dominating and just got back. I just hopped on ISH after my shower, and my body feels like I didn't even play.

If you don't do it..i'd suggest four things, get leaner, drink juice (from a juicer), take ice cold showers, and find a stretching routine that works on your weaknesses.

KungFuJoe
05-29-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm 39, and coming off achilles surgery about 2 years back and I'm still playing. I run in two different leagues (not high comp or anything like that anymore) and try to play pick up games at least once a week.

I definitely can't jump like I used to and I've lost a step (or three), but I'm still the best rebounder on any court I play on.

bdreason
05-31-2013, 03:07 AM
I'm 32 and still play about 3 times a week.

I had a professor in College who had to be in his 70's, and he played ball twice a week.

Rake2204
05-31-2013, 08:29 AM
I probably already mentioned this here but I just played ball with him a few days ago so it's fresh on my mind - my brother is almost 32 and he's playing about as well as he has in 15 years. He's probably in better shape than ever and he's dunking again and whatnot. He pretty much abandoned the game over the past decade so maybe that can give you guys hope that it's never too late to get back in it and excel, perhaps better than you ever had before.

I'm 32 and still play about 3 times a week.

I had a professor in College who had to be in his 70's, and he played ball twice a week.How's your athleticism? Have you seen a decline between now and say, age 28?

JohnnySic
05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm 38 and play pickup all the time.

Swaggin916
06-17-2013, 01:07 AM
I think I can be effective til I'm like in my 60's. After that I will just be too slow up and down the court. I will have lost my ability to defend effectively by the time I'm 40 probably because already right now quicker people give me fits.... but hey as long one can rain, make smart decisions, give what they have... a person could play for a long ass time.

Oh and don't get fat. That's probably the biggest kicker :lol

Rake2204
06-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh and don't get fat. That's probably the biggest kicker :lolThat's actually one of the beautiful things about the game of basketball. It's wonderfully fun and it's a great way to get in shape (or stay in shape). My brother just recently decided to really get back into the game and, along with a bit of running and lifting, he's dropped about 60 pounds in under a year. Basketball's a win-win. So I'm just kind of hopeful I can stay in the game for a while so I don't have to resort to relying upon, like, jogging as my primary means of exercise.

Straight_Ballin
07-05-2013, 02:56 AM
At 33, I was keeping up with starting HS point guards that are very well conditioned. Ofcouse I was putting in more time for cardio and was more conditioned. I still had 40 year olds giving me fits, so sky is the limit.

tgan3
07-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Your best playing years would be from 18-35...

For most people there is obvious decline when reaching 30...

But they are a couple of guys in the 50s that I played against that are still good. Their shooting is accurate and they just play jason kidd style, controlling the tempo and being a good passer.

Its really up to you, if recreationally, I think most people can play till 60. if at a high level to 35 or late 30s.

AirFederer
07-31-2013, 08:38 AM
I`ll be 37 this month and came back last year after a 11 year lay off :lol
3 weeks ago I broke my index finger (lefty "luckily") during pick up ball, and doc says it`ll heal in about 6 months..dang,very depressing! But I`ll keep playing, this is my last chance lol. Also doing some work outs to try to be able to dunk again...we`ll see.

Rake2204
07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
I`ll be 37 this month and came back last year after a 11 year lay off :lol
3 weeks ago I broke my index finger (lefty "luckily") during pick up ball, and doc says it`ll heal in about 6 months..dang,very depressing! But I`ll keep playing, this is my last chance lol. Also doing some work outs to try to be able to dunk again...we`ll see.Six months?!

AirFederer
08-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Six months?!
Yep, the joint is broken and totally stiff :(

Rake2204
08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Yep, the joint is broken and totally stiff :(Dang, that's a real bummer, guy. That seems like a worst case scenario in terms of finger injuries. I ruptured a tendon in my hand and I feel my recovery was less than half that time. I'm thankful it wasn't something like you're experiencing.

IGOTGAME
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Idk...I've always been more of a cerebral player as opposed to an athlete. I get my enjoyment from outsmarting people or making good passes. I'm always going to be pretty long, have a jumper and the ability to pass. IMO I should be ale to really compete in summer leagues until like 40. I hope to be playing in the over 30 leagues until I'm 60 provided my body holds up(knock on wood).

The battle isn't so much that you are getting older and slower....it's all the responsibility that comes with age. I'm 28 and I can't play anymore because my hours are crazy. If you are working 70 hours per week your body just isn't going to be the same and that is what scares me.

scm5
08-01-2013, 12:57 PM
You can adapt.

I'm coming back from a broken fibula, my first week back playing (no rehab), I was slow as shit, could barely jump off my left (like a 3 inch vertical on layups, no joke).

I still found ways to contribute (in pickup games only) and I would have to say that by the time I'm 50, I'm likely to still be more athletic than I was coming back from that injury.

sundizz
08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Idk...I've always been more of a cerebral player as opposed to an athlete. I get my enjoyment from outsmarting people or making good passes. I'm always going to be pretty long, have a jumper and the ability to pass. IMO I should be ale to really compete in summer leagues until like 40. I hope to be playing in the over 30 leagues until I'm 60 provided my body holds up(knock on wood).

The battle isn't so much that you are getting older and slower....it's all the responsibility that comes with age. I'm 28 and I can't play anymore because my hours are crazy. If you are working 70 hours per week your body just isn't going to be the same and that is what scares me.

Yep. I think the fact that people don't have time is what kills the athlete inside =/ If I had time to train everyday I could see myself playing well until 50+. Sitting in a desk all day shortening hip flexors, weakening lower back and core, and losing flexibility really sucks when you want to play ball.

AirFederer
08-14-2013, 04:56 PM
So while being finger injured (lol) I have been doing vertical excersises 3 times a week, and tonight I got my first dunk in about 8 years!! Feels good, even if the rim might have been an inch or two low. Turning 37 in 6 days, dang!

:cheers:

BlackSheep
01-15-2014, 12:12 AM
I'm 29, and I'm thinking another 29 years.

To be honest my dad robbed me of playing organized ball through highschool. He was big on academics and even though the coach tried convincing him to let me play, there was no luck.

Now that I'm old enough to live my own life, I play ball as much as I want (time permitted) and as seriously as I want. I practice and play like competitvely, and see no end in site for me. But if I ever had to stop, I will get so freakin' depressed, for real.

tomSR.
01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
till i start peeing myself

Lebron23
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I just turned 27 earlier this year. I played with a bunch of 50 yrs.old in a pickup game. They are still good. I learned plenty of "gulang" from them.

Hollowman
01-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I agree with the above posts about players being older and still effective.

I've come against guys in their 40's and even 50's who are very skilled players. As long as you still enjoy playing is the first step. I don't think there is necessarily a max age (realistically) that should stop you playing.

I recently turned 30 and thought I may start to notice a drop in speed (I play SG), but I feel just as quick as I did when I was 25 if i'm being honest. I stay in shape, play twice a week and try to keep improving.

Don't let an age being a negative impact on improving your game.

Rake2204
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM
I agree with the above posts about players being older and still effective.

I've come against guys in their 40's and even 50's who are very skilled players. As long as you still enjoy playing is the first step. I don't think there is necessarily a max age (realistically) that should stop you playing.

I recently turned 30 and thought I may start to notice a drop in speed (I play SG), but I feel just as quick as I did when I was 25 if i'm being honest. I stay in shape, play twice a week and try to keep improving.

Don't let an age being a negative impact on improving your game.Yup. I think a huge part of it is mental. Knowing age 30 was a round the corner, I admit I hit some confidence snags on the hardwood over the last year, only because I began to let myself wonder, "Alright, is this when I'm going to start losing my athleticism? Will I see a big decrease in my skill now?" And merely thinking that kind of made it happen at times.

However, it turns out I'm still pretty much the same guy. I will say, the major thing that may end up hampering those who plan on playing until 50: lingering injuries. From what I've gathered, soreness and random injuries begin adding up as we age, so I can see that being a deterrent to many. I've experienced some of that over the past year. Random things like back soreness and elbow tendinitis can add up at times.

ivienthol
01-21-2014, 05:24 PM
I also wanna play forever God willing. Weight lifting is an advantage to keep going and going (and don't skip leg days lol). I just turned 30 and because I've lifted throughout my 20's I haven't lost anything physically and I still feel great. Feel even better than in my teens when I was skinny and didn't do any strength training. I always seemed to be sore then but now my lifting days recover me. The days I'm not playing I'm lifting. So lifting is my advice to staying young. Only thing that's harder as I get older is losing weight as fast as I used to but with proper diet I've worked around it.

However many days I have on this planet that's how long I want to keep playing. :D Let's be the generation playing into our 100's.

07-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I just hurt my knee maybe 2.5 months ago. Probably a torn meniscus on medial side of my left knee. I have a feeling if I go to the doctor he will find out about my torn knee and suggest surgery if I chose to want to play sports seriously.

I can walk just fine and there is no swelling on my knee but whenever I start running it hurts and I have to stop. That's my physical excuse to quit playing.

But what I learned from playing is that if I played to win then I would continue playing forever. Because you can never win enough. Whenever I am shooting around and some1 would challenge me I would play to "defend myself" (not unlike MJ in the 1998 all star game when kobe semi challenged MJ).

Obviously I am no star but am competitive in my own right. I would put up a good fight, scoring a few points but almost letting the guy win. I didn't wanna try hard anymore because if I did and I won, I would be on path to be addicted to the desire to win. I have come to this epiphany more easily because I was not that good.

You can quit out of "cowardice" or frustration (usually looked down upon in American society). But in my case I quit out of futility because I know no matter how hard I try, I will always be a scrub. I am okay saying this in 2014 though probably not in 1997 when I failed to make my high school varsity team junior year.

Failing at basketball does not mean failure as a person. (Lol new age self rationalization) I was determined to use basketball to my liking and convenience and not let it rule my life and sense of worth and self esteem. It's a sport originally meant to be a form of physical education. No more no less.

L.Kizzle
07-22-2014, 07:22 PM

It might be tomorrow, next week or 40 years from now. Only you will know, it's your body.
That day has come.

I tore my ACL/meniscus.

I am fckin' done man!

Rake2204
07-22-2014, 09:02 PM
That day has come.

I tore my ACL/meniscus.

I am fckin' done man!Guy, that sucks. How old are you again? Surgery forthcoming? How did it happen? Very painful?

L.Kizzle
07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Guy, that sucks. How old are you again? Surgery forthcoming? How did it happen? Very painful?
Turned 27 in April. Injury happened end of June. Surgery is end of this month.

I think I tore my meniscus (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344877)

dkmwise
07-22-2014, 11:50 PM
I think people get the wrong idea about age and sports when they always hear about pro athletes in their 'prime.' Their prime is not the same as a normal person because of what they put their body through on a nightly basis. While an NBA player may start to become 'old' in their early 30's for a regular person who takes care of themselves that can be your very best years. Certainly while you're younger you can be quicker, faster, stronger with less effort, as you get older you develop your real man body and can be at your very best in your 30's and 40's if you just take care of your body properly

kshutts1
07-23-2014, 02:15 PM
tl;dr version (weird to put this up top)... Change your game. Can't play the same way you did when you had your athleticism. Now for the long winded story.

I'm 29, and the only difference I see in my play, of any sport (mostly volleyball), is that it takes me longer to recover. I can still out-jump and run most 16-25 year olds (college town I live in). When I do play basketball, my shot is still acceptable. My defense even more so. But again, it takes me longer to recover. My girlfriend picks on me because for the next two days I whine about how sore I am.

That being said, I'm pretty fit for my age. Daily lifting and running, work on my feet, etc.

Anyway, to more fully answer your question, when I do play pickup, I play with a collection of faculty and staff at the local college. Smattering of students, too. But a few of the guys that play are 50-70. No joke. One guy had heart surgery a couple years back. He's still got his head, and an automatic jumper, but he obviously can't create or anything. Has the occasional baseline drive for a reverse layup.

One of the younger old guys, though, is probably 55. He's the best player there after myself. Lefty with a high release, tall (for the competition) and mobile. Not a great handle, but good enough to not have it swiped by college kids, much less older guys. Really crafty. Similar game to Paul Pierce I would say, in that you know where he's going, he's slower than you, but you still can't stop it.

In the 11 years I've played with these guys, the transformation in the games is remarkable.
The heart-surgery guy used to be a pick and roll MASTER. But now he can't move quickly enough to do that, so just sets picks, hits open jumpers, keeps his hands up on D... just finds a way to be useful. Changed his game nearly 100% in the last 11 years.
The lefty still plays the same way, but added a running hook to his repertoire (nearly unstoppable) and a much better post game (again, tall for the competition.. maybe 6'1), with more distance on his jumper. Used to cap out at 15-18 feet, now he's money from 20-22.
And a third guy started playing, for the first time in his life, my first year with them.. so 2003. Good athlete, deceptively quick and fast. The first year I legit blocked every. single. shot. of his for an entire day. I was a cocky kid, just wanting to show that I belonged, win at all costs (even if it embarrasses them) etc. He's since added so many hesitation moves and wacky layup finishes that I can't block him with any consistency. Still can guard him no problem in a one-on-one setting, but in a team game, he's a difficult guard. Second best player behind Lefty.

willy_yep
07-24-2014, 03:56 AM
I think people get the wrong idea about age and sports when they always hear about pro athletes in their 'prime.' Their prime is not the same as a normal person because of what they put their body through on a nightly basis. While an NBA player may start to become 'old' in their early 30's for a regular person who takes care of themselves that can be your very best years. Certainly while you're younger you can be quicker, faster, stronger with less effort, as you get older you develop your real man body and can be at your very best in your 30's and 40's if you just take care of your body properly

yea, i think this is very true. nba players have 82 games a season with practices.

JellyBean
08-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Man I am hooping until I am 55 years old ( I am 45 now). Just as long as I play at the YMCA. I can't do the outdoor basketball anymore. That concrete puts a pounding on your knees as you get older.

Timmy D for MVP
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Hopefully I can still waddle out and stand in a corner in my 50's and hit set shots or something.

I'm hoping over time my tendinitis doesn't worsen, because it does keep me from playing as much as I'd like sometimes, but the great thing is the shooting motion doesn't cause pain, it's passing and dribbling and afterward that I'm not happy. So I'll just be a selfish old dude who only shoots. Shooty McGee they'll call me.