PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Gives the Blueprint on Stopping Lebron Defensively

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I study him," Jordan says.

When LeBron goes right, he usually drives; when he goes left, he usually shoots a jumper. It has to do with his mechanics and how he loads the ball for release. "So if I have to guard him," Jordan says, "I'm gonna push him left so nine times out of 10, he's gonna shoot a jump shot. If he goes right, he's going to the hole and I can't stop him. So I ain't letting him go right."

For the rest of the game, when LeBron gets the ball and starts his move, Jordan will call out some variation of "drive" or "shoot."

Jordan's mental edge and bball IQ would eat everybody alive in this generation like in his. :bowdown: :bowdown:

lebeast666
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Welcome to 1998.

Everybody knows this. Still cant stop him

Flagrant 2
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome to 1998.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/club937.com/files/2012/10/blake.jpg

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome to 1998.

Everybody knows this. Still doesnt stop him

Jordan is a top 3 perimeter defender of all time and has a toughness and fierceness defensively that NOBODY in the game today has had. I'm very confident Jordan could lock Lebron up as well as anybody. He would still perform decent but he would have a hell of a time.

I think Jordan and Pippen would both give Lebron the worst time of his life defensively. Both have the length, strength and athleticism to take away a lot of his game.

L8krH8tr
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I think lebron would win 1on 1 he's just to big for Jordan now

tikay0
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Jordan is a top 3 perimeter defender of all time and has a toughness and fierceness defensively that NOBODY in the game today has had. I'm very confident Jordan could lock Lebron up as well as anybody. He would still perform decent but he would have a hell of a time.

I think Jordan and Pippen would both give Lebron the worst time of his life defensively. Both have the length, strength and athleticism to take away a lot of his game.

Jordan's arguably the greatest perimeter player of all time. I'm not even being a homer.

You're also forgetting Lebron's first step isn't elite. He's a marathon runner, not an exploder. Another thing Jordan could expose.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I think lebron would win 1on 1 he's just to big for Jordan now

Prime vs prime. Obviously Jordan couldn't even hope to guard ANY star player now.

Jailblazers7
02-17-2013, 08:37 PM
"Force him left"

Wow, what a revolutionary defensive strategy lol.

tikay0
02-17-2013, 08:38 PM
"Force him left"

Wow, what a revolutionary defensive strategy lol.

Don't be mad. Please don't.

Jailblazers7
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Don't be mad. Please don't.

Im not mad. I just think its silly to act like Jordan is dropping knowledge by describing the most basic defensive strategy vs. a right handed player.

tikay0
02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Im not mad. I just think its silly to act like Jordan is dropping knowledge by describing the most basic defensive strategy vs. a right handed player.

Again, don't be mad. You clearly are.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM

I never meant to imply it was revolutionary. More just interesting to hear somebody like Jordan comment on it. Plus he went into a little more detail that "force him left". Most guys aren't able to but Jordan would be able to.

SilkkTheShocker
02-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Top 3 defender of all time? :oldlol:

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:45 PM

Top 3 perimeter defender of all time yes. The other top 2 are Payton and Pippen.

nathanjizzle
02-17-2013, 08:46 PM
only lebron can stop lebron

DMV2
02-17-2013, 08:46 PM
He's one of the greatest perimeter defender of all-time. Yes, he was just as good as Pippen, some say better.

Fudge
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Still wont stop him.

Jailblazers7
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I never meant to imply it was revolutionary. More just interesting to hear somebody like Jordan comment on it. Plus he went into a little more detail that "force him left". Most guys aren't able to but Jordan would be able to.

That tendency to shoot when going left is something a lot of rightys have, not just Lebron. Im not doubting that Jordan would be a tough match-up on D but this is a pretty basic observation.

Blue&Orange
02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
You are seriously underrating the lack of fundamentals and the low IQ of today's game.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:50 PM
That tendency to shoot when going left is something a lot of rightys have, not just Lebron. Im not doubting that Jordan would be a tough match-up on D but this is a pretty basic observation.

I agree it's not an in depth scouting report and probably has already been told to players by scouts/coaches. What makes it more interesting to me is Jordan of all people commented on it. One of maybe 5 guys in NBA history that COULD probably consistently guard Lebron and hold him in check.

tikay0
02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
He's one of the greatest perimeter defender of all-time. Yes, he was just as good as Pippen, some say better.

Many old heads believe he was the greatest perimeter defender of all time. Myself included.

Apogee
02-17-2013, 08:52 PM
This is old info fool. check out my thread that even provides a link..

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:52 PM
:cheers:
Many old heads believe he was the greatest perimeter defender of all time. Myself included.

Definitely debatable. I personally am in the Payton camp... but Jordan+Pip are absolutely in the discussion and all 3 are interchangeable depending on who you ask.

EnoughSaid
02-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I think MJ could force him into 4-5 tough shots in a game, but LeBron is still going to get his 30, 7 and 7.

#number6ix#
02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Maybe mike should relay dis info to his team and maybe they could stop lebron from shooting 13 for 14 next time they play

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I think MJ could force him into 4-5 tough shots in a game, but LeBron is still going to get his 30, 7 and 7.

:oldlol: is this a joke? So basically Jordan's defense would make no difference? I don't think people understand although 6'6 220... Jordan was strong as a mother fu**er. I'd wager he's physically nearly as strong as Lebron. Combine that with superior IQ, tenacity, toughness and footwork? Sorry man but Lebron is not putting up 30, 7 and 7 against Jordan, especially in a series.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Michael Jordan is probably the only player in NBA history that is MORE athletic than Lebron in terms of the combination of strength, leaping, quickness, explosiveness etc. I honestly think Mike would be a nightmare matchup for Lebron because he's the one guy Lebron wouldn't be able to bully. Wouldn't surprise me if he beat Lebron into submission mentally either.

BrickingStar
02-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Michael Jordan is probably the only player in NBA history that is MORE athletic than Lebron in terms of the combination of strength, leaping, quickness, explosiveness etc. I honestly think Mike would be a nightmare matchup for Lebron because he's the one guy Lebron wouldn't be able to bully. Wouldn't surprise me if he beat Lebron into submission mentally either.
He's not stronger but the rest of the bold should be expected from a 6'6 athlete over a 6'8/9 that weighs 30 less pounds or more. Let's stop assuming and coming to conclusions on something we'll never know and kobe talks as much if not more shit than MJ. Certainly hasn't helped him in his match up against LBJ.

DMV2
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
If Jordan force him to go 3-9 in the first half, he wouldn't take more than 5 or 6 attempts the second half. LeBron's gonna try to reserve that FG% average. :lol

chosen_one6
02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Old. Already posted and discussed two days ago.

Clippersfan86
He's not stronger but the rest of the bold should be expected from a 6'6 athlete over a 6'8/9 that weighs 30 less pounds or more

Better COMBINATION of. His strength is close to Lebron if not equal. I've heard all time strong men like Charles Oakley say Jordan was nearly as strong as them. I just think Lebron would be unable to bully Jordan around with his athleticism the way he does with everybody now.

Clippersfan86
Old. Already posted and discussed two days ago.

My bad. Didn't see it, sorry man.

BrickingStar
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Better COMBINATION of. His strength is close to Lebron if not equal. I've heard all time strong men like Charles Oakley say Jordan was nearly as strong as them. I just think Lebron would be unable to bully Jordan around with his athleticism the way he does with everybody now.
Opinion noted. Good thing lebron isn't just athleticism and has skills in multiple areas and isn't some like Blake G

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Opinion noted. Good thing lebron isn't just athleticism and can shoot or some like Blake G

Agree Lebron is a very very capable shooter now and would still perform. No legend would completely shut any other legend down in a series really... but I have no doubt Jordan would hold him below his averages.

pauk
02-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Where do you force him when you get that 6'9-260 booty backing you up all the way down under the basket MJ just like when Magic used to do to you all the time? :)

tmacattack33
02-17-2013, 09:21 PM
I remember watching the Cavaliers in the 2007 ECF and Steve Kerr and them said the same sh*t.

It doesn't matter. It's not a secret. People know this and they still can't stop him.

Like people also know that his jump shot isn't the greatest (or at least it wasn't before this year) and it'd be best to limit him to jump shots. But he still tears up 90% of the league.

tikay0
02-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Robert Horry once said, Jordan came through and hit him in the chest, and said to himself, "DAMN, that guys strong!".

pauk
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
If you want to get in idea how it would somewhat look like if Jordan tried to defend Lebron then watch Jordan defend Magic, if you have seen 1991 finals for example.... Magic would ragdoll MJ in the post every single time, no moves required, just back him down routinely due to the size/strength advantage.... it was like a mouse in the house... Pippen was forced to defend him instead and he didnt do so well either, but better than MJ... if the 6'8-210 lbs Magic could do that then i want to assume Lebron could do it to...

Lebron23
02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/8h77wfUvwkQ/mqdefault.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Um4x6M8ew

Bigsmoke
02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
:oldlol: is this a joke? So basically Jordan's defense would make no difference? I don't think people understand although 6'6 220... Jordan was strong as a mother fu**er. I'd wager he's physically nearly as strong as Lebron. Combine that with superior IQ, tenacity, toughness and footwork? Sorry man but Lebron is not putting up 30, 7 and 7 against Jordan, especially in a series.

For the record tho, Jordan was a year removed from winning DPOY when Zeke was dropping daggers over his head in Game 6 in the 1989 ECFs

Zeke > LeBron?

kenuffff
02-17-2013, 09:33 PM

lebron is physically more gifted than jordan sorry.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
lebron is physically more gifted than jordan sorry.

Based on what? Anything verifiable? Because we KNOW Jordan is quicker, jumps higher and is as strong as an ox.

Indian guy
02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
There's little truth to what he's saying though. LeBron prefers driving left for everything, not just shooting. If it was that simple, he'd be a jump shooter in this league.

And MJ's defensive strength lied in guarding players his size and smaller, where he was arguably the GOAT. There's no history of him ever checking big guys save Magic, who had his way with him. LeBron would be way too big for MJ. There's little chance of MJ ever even guarding him(no coach is stupid enough to do that), much less having success against him.

This is something people who have NEVER seen MJ play(OP, and the majority on this board) won't understand.

Overdrive
02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
If you want to get in idea how it would somewhat look like if Jordan tried to defend Lebron then watch Jordan defend Magic, if you have seen 1991 finals for example.... Magic would ragdoll MJ in the post every single time, no moves required, just back him down routinely due to the size/strength advantage.... it was like a mouse in the house... Pippen was forced to defend him instead and he didnt do so well either, but better than MJ... if the 6'8-210 lbs Magic could do that then i want to assume Lebron could do it to...

Lebron's not Magic though. He couldn't even back down JJ Barea. If someone has a bad feeling for his feet - and aside from being an awesome player overall Lebron still has - you just step back and the player won't recover and quite possibly lose balance, so if he posts long and "ferocious" enough you just deny the post up. So Lebron has to post to post on Jordan on the block and Jordan most likely wouldn't guard him there.
Aside from that the made a rule change, because Barkley would do that on the perimeter, posting up on mismatches all the time and I'm pretty sure that was after the '91 finals.

tmacattack33
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Based on what? Anything verifiable? Because we KNOW Jordan is quicker, jumps higher and is as strong as an ox.

No, all you posted so far was quotes from other players about Jordan's strength.

And it's pretty safe to assume there may be a chance that guys would exaggerate Jordan's strength as opposed to some random scrubs like Greg Foster or Dana Barros.

"Something verifiable" would be his bench press, squat, curl, or military press weight from some official measurement.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
No, all you posted so far was quotes from other players about Jordan's strength.

And it's pretty safe to assume there may be a chance that guys would exaggerate Jordan's strength as opposed to some random scrubs like Greg Foster or Dana Barros.

"Something verifiable" would be his bench press, squat, curl, or military press weight from some official measurement.

Fine... strength aside. Jordan WAS faster, quicker and had a higher vert. Not only has vert been measured and verified but the quickness and speed isn't even a question if you watch film.

gengiskhan
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Top 3 perimeter defender of all time yes. The other top 2 are Payton and Pippen.

Dead Wrong.

1. Dennis Rodman (can do both Perimeter & paint)
2. Michael Jordan (unbelivable cat-like defensive reflexes)
3. Hakeem or Russell
4. Scottie Pippen (Can guard 3-4 positions but flat footed)

Peyton is way down the list although a great defensive player.

tmacattack33
02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Fine... strength aside. Jordan WAS faster, quicker and had a higher vert. Not only has vert been measured and verified but the quickness and speed isn't even a question if you watch film.

He was quicker and had a higher vertical.

I think Cleveland Lebron's first step explosion was better though and straight ahead sprint speed. Feel free to disagree though since i never saw MJ play before 1995.

Overdrive
02-17-2013, 09:54 PM

I don't know why people assume that smaller and less mass means weaker.

Living Being
02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Jordan = GOAT, but most right-handed players will try to drive going right, and are more likely to pull up going left, as they are unable to explode going left and do not get past their player.

che guevara
02-17-2013, 10:07 PM
:oldlol: This is the gem of the thread right here. Jordan's strength equal to Lebron's? That's as stupid as saying Lebron's first step is as good as Jordan's.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Dead Wrong.

1. Dennis Rodman (can do both Perimeter & paint)
2. Michael Jordan (unbelivable cat-like defensive reflexes)
3. Hakeem or Russell
4. Scottie Pippen (Can guard 3-4 positions but flat footed)

Peyton is way down the list although a great defensive player.

Try reading what you quote some time kid. "Perimeter" was a word I made sure to specify with. Hakeem, Russel and Rodman were elite interior/paint defenders. Rodman was also a great perimeter defender but not to the level of Jordan, Payton and Pippen. Not even to the level of Dennis Johnson and others on the second tier.

LikeABosh
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Forcing Lebron left has probabaly been on his scouting report since he was 14 :facepalm

FKAri
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I agree it's not an in depth scouting report and probably has already been told to players by scouts/coaches. What makes it more interesting to me is Jordan of all people commented on it. One of maybe 5 guys in NBA history that COULD probably consistently guard Lebron and hold him in check.

MJ has no hope in stopping Lebron with the rules of today. The tools have been removed by Stern so the perimeter stars can look good and untouchable so fans buy into their greatness. Not downplaying Lebron at all. He's one of the all time greats.

sekachu
02-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Magic is still a better post player than lebron at this stage.

DonDadda59
02-18-2013, 12:25 AM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3263/2448558472_d00dc7d48c.jpg

CelticBaller
02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
:lol

Cowboy Thunder
02-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Kobe :bowdown: on the Jordan system

Heavincent
02-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Good call Jordan :applause:

Rito3d30
02-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Also the blueprint for LBJ becoming more dominating:bowdown:

game3524
02-18-2013, 01:03 AM
I see Kobe upgrade to the Jordan System now.

ripthekik
02-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Mj:bowdown:

Money 23
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
I see Kobe upgrade to the Jordan System now.
:pimp:

Epic

tikay0
02-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Kobe has now adopted the MJ system, so basically.

1)MJ
2)KOBE "Anakin Mamba"

3)Lebron (Sorry, no room for little kids at the big boy table)

Money 23
02-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Kobe has now adopted the MJ system, so basically.

1)MJ
2)KOBE

3)Lebron
MJ is now inheriting Kobe's body for the rest of the season.

Watch the Lakers win 50 games, meet the Heat in the Finals, Kobe under MJ's tutelage locks Bron down, wins FMVP and his 6th ring.

As MJ said, limits ... like fears are often just an illusion.

tikay0
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM

Watch the Lakers win 50 games, meet the Heat in the Finals, Kobe under MJ's tutelage locks Bron down, wins FMVP and his 6th ring.

OMFG, it's like when Professor X and Magneto combined to form ONSALUGHT!

:bowdown: :eek: :pimp:

andremiller07
Forcing Lebron left has probabaly been on his scouting report since he was 14 :facepalm

Exactly this pretty much every team in the NBA would scout this, the way to stop Lebron is to ethier try get in his head and hope hes off other than that no scouting/strategy is going to work.

Kingwillball

And than U woke up..

Money 23
02-18-2013, 01:36 AM
And than U woke up..
And then you seem ... MAD

Don't be salty our dude MJ locked your boy up, with his crusty ass sitting on a couch smoking a cigar.

My guy MJ used Kobe to lock Bron up with LEGIT pre 2005 defense. Guy got EXPOSED for his slow ass first step, clunky feet, and awkward jumper mechanics.

34 year old, 17 years of mileage Kobe blocking a PEAK 28 year old's jump shot.

:oldlol:

Kingwillball
02-18-2013, 01:42 AM
And then you seem ... MAD

Don't be salty our dude MJ locked your boy up, with his crusty ass sitting on a couch smoking a cigar.

My guy MJ used Kobe to lock Bron up with LEGIT pre 2005 defense. Guy got EXPOSED for his slow ass first step, clunky feet, and awkward jumper mechanics.

34 year old, 17 years of mileage Kobe blocking a PEAK 28 year old's jump shot.

First off this is a a Ridiculous Jordan fanboys wet dream.. Secondly if it even were true than every team would do it. But the Real truth is Lebron Was not playing hard and Kobe was and Kobe was not guarding Lebron on that Sequence he switched off than when He Anticipated Lebron pulling up and left his man to block shot from Behind. Can we Bump these Ridiculous threads when Lebron wins 4th MVP and 2nd championship and Finals MVP this season.

NumberSix
02-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Kobe fans set themselves up for failure. The Lakers are looking at the very real possibility of not even making the playoffs. Why you want to give other people a reason to rag on you?

Bballfinest
02-18-2013, 01:47 AM
OMFG, it's like when Professor X and Magneto combined to form ONSALUGHT!

:bowdown: :eek: :pimp:
Oh SHIT! I read that comic when I was 13 yrs old! :cheers:

Kingwillball
02-18-2013, 01:50 AM
Kobe fans set themselves up for failure. The Lakers are looking at the very real possibility of not even making the playoffs. Why you want to give other people a reason to rag on you?

It seemed like only yesterday KObe had a 4 point game with like 10 To's.. But now a Blindside block on Lebron in a meaningless gm and Kobe>Lebron Threads left and right. Doesnt matter Lebron a few Days ago Shit on KD and OKC basically wrapping up the MVP in the process.

asd
02-18-2013, 01:51 AM
But the Real truth is Lebron Was not playing hard and Kobe was and Kobe was not guarding Lebron on that Sequence he switched off than when He Anticipated Lebron pulling up and left his man to block shot from Behind. Can we Bump these Ridiculous threads when Lebron wins 4th MVP and 2nd championship and Finals MVP this season.

i'm not even a kobe fan, but i'm pretty sure kobe FORCED lebron left.

Vragrant
02-18-2013, 02:26 AM

Thankyou. I've read it over and over again about how Lebron is somehow stronger than Jordan. Just because Lebron weighs more does not translate into superior physical strength, especially an prodigious athlete like Jordan who Bobby Knight once said about him had "an iron grip".

Money 23
02-18-2013, 02:28 AM
Thankyou. I've read it over and over again about how Lebron is somehow stronger than Jordan. Just because Lebron weighs more does not translate into superior physical strength, especially an prodigious athlete like Jordan who Bobby Knight once said about him had "an iron grip".
I've been saying this and everyone jumped my nuts.

Applicable strength >>> shape of physique. Just look at Dwight, popcorn muscles.

Mental toughness can also translate itself physically. See 80's Jordan, 2000's Iverson.

Vragrant
02-18-2013, 02:40 AM
He was quicker and had a higher vertical.

I think Cleveland Lebron's first step explosion was better though and straight ahead sprint speed. Feel free to disagree though since i never saw MJ play before 1995.

Honestly I doubt it, even if Lebron is faster its not by much. Jordan ran a 4.3 40 in college. Its a draw at best

. This fall he ran a 4.3. By running and lifting weights he has substantially built up his upper body and gained 12 pounds in two years, most of it in the shoulders.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/jordan_retires/archive/831128/

Also, Lebron does not actually have a quick first step. He is a speed demon when he gets going in the open court, but is not 'quick' in the halfcourt. Why do you think he pounds the ball at the top of the key repeatedly before making a move? With Jordan, he had a lightning quick first step. Their first steps are actually not that comparable.

greymatter
02-18-2013, 02:45 AM
I don't know why people assume that smaller and less mass means weaker.

It's really quite simple. Just giving that they have identical body fat %, the guy weighing 25% more and having more muscle relative to his frame is generally going to be a lot stronger. Only way Jordan could possibly be stronger is if he had a significantly higher % of muscle fiber recruitment in his muscle contractions. In other words, superior neuromuscular communication.

secund2nun
02-18-2013, 03:00 AM
Jordan cannot guard Lebron period. Lebron would post him up and overpower him easily every time. Lebron has 50 pounds and 2 inches on him. The legend of Jordan has grown so out of control that some people probably believe that Jordan is stronger than Prime Shaq and could shut down Shaq. They probably also believe that Jordan is faster than Bolt and has more "basketball height" than Yao Ming.

secund2nun
02-18-2013, 03:02 AM

Applicable strength >>> shape of physique. Just look at Dwight, popcorn muscles.

Mental toughness can also translate itself physically. See 80's Jordan, 2000's Iverson.

Lebron is a lot stronger than MJ ever was....let it go. MJ is not the best in every single category of bball ever. It's ok. What next...MJ was a better rebounder than Rodman? I bet many people will actually argue non sense like that.

Pointguard
02-18-2013, 04:24 AM
So why doesn't Jon Jones or Floyd Mayweather, the most dominant fighters on the planet and the most athletic easily, fight guys 10lbs heavier than themselves, much less 45lbs. Floyd is about money but he won't risk it. He could get 40 million more to go 10lbs up. Jone Jones is taller than nearly everybody he fights but he won't go up.

Very different if you see Jordan obviously moving around guys who were 240 lbs, much less 265 lbs and theres only 2 inches different between he and Lebron. You don't hear Barkley talking about how big Lebron is? When you see Lebron its clear he has a power athletic build - big calves, thighs, chest, shoulders. All of the bigger muscles are bigger on Lebron than MJ. MJ has a slim/athletic/wirery build.

I wrote elsewhere here that if you see Lebron run full speed it jolts you. It seems like he could knock down a wall. I never got that feeling seeing Shaq in his athletic prime and Shaq was fast too.

Linspired
02-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Jordan cannot guard Lebron period. Lebron would post him up and overpower him easily every time. Lebron has 50 pounds and 2 inches on him. The legend of Jordan has grown so out of control that some people probably believe that Jordan is stronger than Prime Shaq and could shut down Shaq. They probably also believe that Jordan is faster than Bolt and has more "basketball height" than Yao Ming.

Bron's playing weight right now is 257lb to 260lb. absolutely nothing more than 260lb. his bodyfat is way too low. so bron has about 40lb on prime jordan. jordan played at 212lb to 218lb in championship years

anyway 40lb is 40lb, but at the end of the day, it's the size of the fight in the dog. not the size of the dog. jordan being a nasty mo.fo who will welcome the challenge would mind@#$ck bron 8 out of 10 times. that's what jordan does usually.

if this heat plays MJ's championship bulls will be a match up hell for these heat. people forget it's 5 on 5. it's not about MJ vs. bron. don't be silly. it's always about team vs. team. pippen and MJ would easily beat wade/bron combo.

Linspired
02-18-2013, 04:31 AM

it's more like

lower leg, core strength > upperbody

just look at dwight's chicken legs. :D

bron is upperbody heavy too. bron is strong, but no way in hell he is barkley or mailman strong.

coin24
02-18-2013, 04:36 AM

Lebron post up?:roll: :roll:

Not sure if serious:lol Jordan would kill Lebron in the post.

icewill36
02-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Lebron post up?:roll: :roll:

Not sure if serious:lol Jordan would kill Lebron in the post.

yes bron in the post... have you not paid attention to the streak of 30+ with 60+ fg% ? bron is bodying people down low, and no MJ could not stop it.

Pointguard
02-18-2013, 04:41 AM
bron is upperbody heavy too. bron is strong, but no way in hell he is barkley or mailman strong.
Barkley and Malone is what we call ox strong on top of being massive. Some of that happens with maturity. We notice a strength boost at 25, 28 and 32 by nature. A lot of people experience two more leaps of inner strength later on.

catquickspider
02-18-2013, 05:03 AM
First off this is a a Ridiculous Jordan fanboys wet dream.. Secondly if it even were true than every team would do it. But the Real truth is Lebron Was not playing hard and Kobe was and Kobe was not guarding Lebron on that Sequence he switched off than when He Anticipated Lebron pulling up and left his man to block shot from Behind. Can we Bump these Ridiculous threads when Lebron wins 4th MVP and 2nd championship and Finals MVP this season.

You are being ridiculous with your lebron stanning.

First of all, this is about Kobe or MJ guarding lebron and not some scrub defender. Most teams today can not do anything because they do not have prime kobe or prime MJ type defenders. Then you have to keep in mind that Lebron uses pick n rolls a lot to get open lanes to the basket so he can usually drive on some worth less big.

He has the space to do that due to his 3 point shooters.

Soundwave
02-18-2013, 07:19 AM
LeBron is like 6'9 so it's a different type of player. Pippen and Rodman would be tasked with matching up with LeBron in a hypothetical Bulls-Heat matchup.

Jordan could cover him in a pinch though, but he would mostly be tasked with stopping Wade I would think.

LeBron is great don't get me wrong, but he can be stopped. It's not like the Celtics or Mavs had one dominant perimeter defender as good as Jordan or Pippen (let alone both) and they've both solved LeBron before.

Young Shaq (circa 1996) honestly was much more difficult to guard than any player in the NBA today.

KOBE143
02-18-2013, 07:30 AM
And Kobe executed that Blueprint perfectly.. :applause:

BallsOut
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I study him," Jordan says.

When LeBron goes right, he usually drives; when he goes left, he usually shoots a jumper. It has to do with his mechanics and how he loads the ball for release. "So if I have to guard him," Jordan says, "I'm gonna push him left so nine times out of 10, he's gonna shoot a jump shot. If he goes right, he's going to the hole and I can't stop him. So I ain't letting him go right."

For the rest of the game, when LeBron gets the ball and starts his move, Jordan will call out some variation of "drive" or "shoot."

Jordan's mental edge and bball IQ would eat everybody alive in this generation like in his. :bowdown: :bowdown:

:bowdown:

Today's game is missing some truly smart defenders. Almost every player bites on everything, regardless of the scouting report. If you don't know how to guard Lebron, its really quite simple, back off and force him left. He can't make the jumpshot enough to hurt you and he's not as good passing with his left hand than right hand nor is he as good at finishing with his left than as his right.

Linspired
02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Barkley and Malone is what we call ox strong on top of being massive. Some of that happens with maturity. We notice a strength boost at 25, 28 and 32 by nature. A lot of people experience two more leaps of inner strength later on.

i don't believe you get stronger in 30's. if whoever is getting stronger in 30's it only means he/she just worked out consistently and got bigger

Linspired
02-18-2013, 08:00 PM
LeBron is like 6'9 so it's a different type of player. Pippen and Rodman would be tasked with matching up with LeBron in a hypothetical Bulls-Heat matchup.

Jordan could cover him in a pinch though, but he would mostly be tasked with stopping Wade I would think.

LeBron is great don't get me wrong, but he can be stopped. It's not like the Celtics or Mavs had one dominant perimeter defender as good as Jordan or Pippen (let alone both) and they've both solved LeBron before.

Young Shaq (circa 1996) honestly was much more difficult to guard than any player in the NBA today.

for the last damn time

bron is not 6ft 9.

there is no evidence which indicates bron is anything more than 6ft 7 1/4 like his predraft measurement.

i'll by 6ft 8. but nothing more than 6ft 8.

NumberSix
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
for the last damn time

bron is not 6ft 9.

there is no evidence which indicates bron is anything more than 6ft 7 1/4 like his predraft measurement.

A pair of LeBron's are around 1.5in thick, so he's closer to 6'9 than he is to 6'8

DonDadda59
02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Jp3CKb0Tf9c/SjSuSmLyf8I/AAAAAAAAFRw/y0ZcORrp0rY/s1600/jordan_kobe_2-1.jpg

Kobe: "But How?"
Jordan: "Left."

BrickingStar
02-18-2013, 08:08 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Jp3CKb0Tf9c/SjSuSmLyf8I/AAAAAAAAFRw/y0ZcORrp0rY/s1600/jordan_kobe_2-1.jpg

Nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfrFmBRgCw

Mach_3
02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
You are seriously underrating the lack of fundamentals and the low IQ of today's game.

Werd, half the time i still see these idiot NBA players allowing guys like Lamar Odom and Ginobili who EVERYONE knows are left handed to still drive left like they don't know any better

DonDadda59
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfrFmBRgCw

Kobe clearly didn't follow the master's instructions on that one, he allowed Lebron to go right and he paid for it. This was before he read the zen of MJ before all star weekend :confusedshrug:

IGOTGAME
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Werd, half the time i still see these idiot NBA players allowing guys like Lamar Odom and Ginobili who EVERYONE knows are left handed to still drive left like they don't know any better
Is a lot easier to type about it on a computer screen.

Mach_3
02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
He's not stronger but the rest of the bold should be expected from a 6'6 athlete over a 6'8/9 that weighs 30 less pounds or more. Let's stop assuming and coming to conclusions on something we'll never know and kobe talks as much if not more shit than MJ. Certainly hasn't helped him in his match up against LBJ.

Im not gonna say Jordan is stronger than Lebron but you have to realize Jordan is what about 6'4 1/2 without shoes while Lebron is 6'7 1/2 without shoes. That's a huge height difference so weight isn't gonna mean THAT much talking about these two.

STATUTORY
02-18-2013, 08:16 PM
it's like the ghost of christmas past and christmas present conspired to give Scrooge a reality check

arifgokcen
02-18-2013, 08:20 PM
for the last damn time

bron is not 6ft 9.

There are a lot of mixed results out there.He was measured 6'7 1/4 at the age of 17.We all know that most man at least grew half an inch after that.I grew almost 1' after 18.So its a fair assumption that he is around 6'8 though himself and his teammates said he is 6'9.
When i compare him to his teammates he is definitely taller than haslem 6'8 and anthony 6'9(actually 6'7) so i find the middle ground at 6'8 1/2

NumberSix
02-18-2013, 08:27 PM
There are a lot of mixed results out there.He was measured 6'7 1/4 at the age of 17.We all know that most man at least grew half an inch after that.I grew almost 1' after 18.So its a fair assumption that he is around 6'8 though himself and his teammates said he is 6'9.
When i compare him to his teammates he is definitely taller than haslem 6'8 and anthony 6'9(actually 6'7) so i find the middle ground at 6'8 1/2
I grew like 3/4 of an inch at 27. Everybody grows different. Some people are done by 18, some people grow 5 inches after 21.

Linspired
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs84aMeC9n_Ndf65JRga8sHH6fSB_VX Zlckwhqqm1gDyBqIyLD

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeN2lWu-E9-dk_8Mz7GGLrzTIUXAYzVt2c_K66JVbqwra2XM97

bad angle, but saw them together on TV. both appeared to be similar in height
http://answers.bettor.com/images/Articles/thumbs/extralarge/Scottie-Pippen-LeBron-James-will-score-more-than-Michael-Jordan-NBA-Update-149587.jpg

absolutely zero evidence that bron grew an inch.

and no KD is anywhere near 6ft 11. dirk clearly has couple of inches on KD.

some dudes stop growing at 15. it all varies.

ispin69
02-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Those were two great fouls at an all star game, Kobe. I mean "defense" if you want to call it that. :oldlol:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291036

Linspired
02-18-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.nbaarena.com/img/haberler/usa_national_basketball_team_2012.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02270/team-usa_2270673b.jpg

again zero evidence that bron grew an inch.

actually there are so many pictures which indicates he is less than 6ft 8.
in my observation bron is 6ft 7 1/4 - 6ft 7 1/2. i can buy 6ft 8, but nothing more than 6ft 8.

LikeABosh
02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Im not gonna say Jordan is stronger than Lebron but you have to realize Jordan is what about 6'4 1/2 without shoes while Lebron is 6'7 1/2 without shoes. That's a huge height difference so weight isn't gonna mean THAT much talking about these two.
Just look at the two players. Jordan was a little wiry and completely shredded, Lebron is built like a bull.

Mach_3
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Is a lot easier to type about it on a computer screen.

And this means what to me?

winwin
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM

IGOTGAME
02-18-2013, 08:43 PM
And this means what to me?
That you sound like a fool calling people idiots.

Linspired
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM

i believe MJ was measured at 6ft 4 7/8 right before he headed to barcelona.

from my observation MJ is definitely 6ft 5 barefoot guy.

2 1/2 inches not as significant as their weight difference. but bron being bigger is both good and bad in 1 on 1 match up IMO. on offense it's an advantage, but on defense it's not. bron really doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with jordan. the smaller players had more success guarding MJ than bigger players. dumars, glove kinda small pitbulls

Mach_3
02-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Just look at the two players. Jordan was a little wiry and completely shredded, Lebron is built like a bull.

Lebron is not built like a bull. But I routinely work out with people who are 230+ at 6'0 - 6'2 and these guys make Lebron look like a stick figure so my opinion is different from most others. For a guy 255 lbs (Or whatever he weighs) he's actually not that big relative to his height of course

Now i would bet all my money that lebron is functionally stronger than Jordan and would be able to post him up and back him down because of his weight, but pound for pound i'm willing to bet Jordan is stronger than lebron.

Mach_3
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
That you sound like a fool calling people idiots.

When i see JR Smith allow lamar odom to go to his dominant side when he KNOWS he has no right hand, yes i can call him an idiot. Basketball is not fcuking rocket science

Mach_3
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
i believe MJ was measured at 6ft 4 7/8 right before he headed to barcelona.

from my observation MJ is definitely 6ft 5 barefoot guy.

2 1/2 inches not as significant as their weight difference. but bron being bigger is both good and bad in 1 on 1 match up IMO. on offense it's an advantage, but on defense it's not. bron really doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with jordan. the smaller players had more success guarding MJ than bigger players. dumars, glove kinda small pitbulls

1 inch is a sizeable difference, enough where an inch can add about 7 lbs to your weight if everything is consistent. and i remember somewhere Jordan being measured at 6'4 1/2 but i digress. And your right, a lot of it has to do with IQ and leverage. Ive stopped dudes 50+ lbs heavier than me from posting up because i knew how to use leverage to my advantage. And we all know how smart Jordan is as a player

wakencdukest
02-18-2013, 09:22 PM
There's little truth to what he's saying though. LeBron prefers driving left for everything, not just shooting. If it was that simple, he'd be a jump shooter in this league.

And MJ's defensive strength lied in guarding players his size and smaller, where he was arguably the GOAT. There's no history of him ever checking big guys save Magic, who had his way with him. LeBron would be way too big for MJ. There's little chance of MJ ever even guarding him(no coach is stupid enough to do that), much less having success against him.

This is something people who have NEVER seen MJ play(OP, and the majority on this board) won't understand.

I agree that Jordan wasn't stopping big guys. He was strong for a 2 guard, but didn't have the strength to guard big men. The reason he was effective against Magic was because he was so quick laterally and had quick hands. Magic had a hard time dribbling against Jordan which is why he took him into the post and overpowered him. I'm not sure LeBron could do that since he doesn't have much of a post game. He's strong as an ox but he doesn't exploit people with his strength. I don't think Jordan would stop LeBron with his strength, I think he would just make it really hard for LeBron to put the ball on the floor and dribble against him

Pacers4ever
02-18-2013, 09:23 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs84aMeC9n_Ndf65JRga8sHH6fSB_VX Zlckwhqqm1gDyBqIyLD

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeN2lWu-E9-dk_8Mz7GGLrzTIUXAYzVt2c_K66JVbqwra2XM97

bad angle, but saw them together on TV. both appeared to be similar in height
http://answers.bettor.com/images/Articles/thumbs/extralarge/Scottie-Pippen-LeBron-James-will-score-more-than-Michael-Jordan-NBA-Update-149587.jpg

absolutely zero evidence that bron grew an inch.

and no KD is anywhere near 6ft 11. dirk clearly has couple of inches on KD.

some dudes stop growing at 15. it all varies.
Horrible angles in all 3 but it's pretty clear LBJ had size over MJ

http://thesportsfanjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/lebron-and-MJ.jpg

Pointguard
02-18-2013, 10:06 PM
i don't believe you get stronger in 30's. if whoever is getting stronger in 30's it only means he/she just worked out consistently and got bigger

Are you 30 yet? As routine I did three sets of 50 push ups three times a week since 22 yo with 2 sets of 8 pullups. At 41, I'm definitely stronger. Don't do weights a bit more cardio but I do have less wind. This is consistent with my four brothers - even the one who doesn't work out. And our father seemed stronger than us til about when he was about 45 when his health took a blow.

CelticBaller
02-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Future repped, been 24'd :oldlol:

IGOTGAME
02-18-2013, 10:13 PM
When i see JR Smith allow lamar odom to go to his dominant side when he KNOWS he has no right hand, yes i can call him an idiot. Basketball is not fcuking rocket science
You sound like a fool and have no idea what you are talking about.

plowking
02-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Most of this board doesn't care enough to read up and educate themselves fully on the game, but Wilt did the same thing for Jordan back when Jordan was playing. An article about an interview with Wilt was released, asking how Wilt would stop Jordan, and he made it seem like a simple task, and that Jordan had several flaws in his game.
Everything is easy when you talk about it, but not so much in practice. Jordan wouldn't stand a chance guarding a player 55lbs heavier than him.

jlip
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Most of this board doesn't care enough to read up and educate themselves fully on the game, but Wilt did the same thing for Jordan back when Jordan was playing. An article about an interview with Wilt was released, asking how Wilt would stop Jordan, and he made it seem like a simple task, and that Jordan had several flaws in his game.
Everything is easy when you talk about it, but not so much in practice. Jordan wouldn't stand a chance guarding a player 55lbs heavier than him.

I remember that. Wilt was talking about Jordan not being able to shoot from certain spots on the court. I'm going to try and find it.

305Baller
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Now Jordan just needs a blueprint on building a good team.

Linspired
02-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Horrible angles in all 3 but it's pretty clear LBJ had size over MJ

http://thesportsfanjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/lebron-and-MJ.jpg

that's a horrible angle. the size difference between bron and jordan will be similar to bron and kobe except jordan is tad bigger than kobe with longer wingspan and reach

again, i saw pippen and bron together on tv, and they really looked similar in terms of height. pippen also had couple of inches on jordan

jlip
02-19-2013, 12:46 AM

I remember that. Wilt was talking about Jordan not being able to shoot from certain spots on the court. I'm going to try and find it.

Found the article:

Wilt was a student of the game and observed closely his opponents while he was a player and after his retirement. We had many lengthy phone conversations about statistics in the periods when he was writing his books. One time he asked me, "Do you know that Michael Jordan can't shoot past 15 feet?" I asked him how he knew that. His response: "Don't you watch the games?"

"Not that closely," I said.

He challenged me to prove otherwise. So I gathered material to show what Jordan did that season on every shot he took and from what distance. Guess what? Wilt was right. Jordan shot about 36% from the 15-foot mark back. That taught me not to doubt the big guy again.

Source (http://www.nba.com/encyclopedia/pollack_wilt.html)

PHILA posted a longer, slightly different account of this (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4745615&postcount=12).