PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't Chris Webber on TNT instead of Shaq?

mrpibb
02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Did I miss something? I loved this guy's humor and commentary.

TylerOO
02-20-2013, 12:50 AM
I used to hate Shaq being on there. But I realized how great it is when Kenny and Charles rip on him. He is so insecure.

SpecialQue
02-20-2013, 01:02 AM
I believe it's because Shaq is in the top 10 and they paid him a shitload of money.

NumberSix
02-20-2013, 01:02 AM
the illuminati

DuMa
02-20-2013, 01:04 AM
C-Webb can be pretty annoying going off on ghetto ebonics rantings.

DMV2
02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
It's because Shaq has championship rings.

InspiredLebowski
02-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Because a bunch of 12 year olds think Shaq is HALARIOUS. Who the hell knows, Webber's outstanding in every facet of TV he's done.

Hell, I watched one of those NBA Courtside things on NBATV last night I hadn't seen before where they talked about Black History Month, racial integration, climbing the class ladder, that kind of stuff. Webber killed it. Legitimate insights that you could tell he cared about, none of the generic shit. Talking about teaching kids that you don't have to be rich and famous to be successful in life. Have a good family, a roof over your head, a loving environment, and you're just as successful as he is. Just because you don't make it on the court doesn't mean you failed type of stuff. It was seriously great.

Webber is a really, really smart cat. If TNT keeps under-utilizing him he needs to go somewhere else, sports related or not. He's great calling a game, he knows Xs and Os, he needs to get a college coaching job immediately.

stallionaire
02-20-2013, 01:11 AM
C-Webb can be pretty annoying going off on ghetto ebonics rantings.

This is why I hate that so many scrawny white kids love the NBA.

C-Webb is stoic truth and he's a true professional in the analyst game. He calls out media cliches and he's just a real dude.

If you don't like C-Webb, enjoy your Wilbon type analysts. Guys who are just a suit.

You don't get realer than C-Webb.

iamgine
02-20-2013, 01:16 AM
Webber is way too bland. He's better than Shaq but I can't listen to him. Always talking about "when I was the leader in Sacramento, yo listen, we don't do that....blah blah blah"

Maybe have a real character like Reggie Miller instead. Jeff Van Gundy would be great too.

talkingconch
02-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Webber is way too bland. He's better than Shaq but I can't listen to him. Always talking about "when I was the leader in Sacramento, yo listen, we don't do that....blah blah blah"

Maybe have a real character like Reggie Miller instead. Jeff Van Gundy would be great too.
lol there is nothing appealing about reggie miller. maybe if hes paired with a guy like chuck or someone then yea, but hes not very good.

they need to get gary payton on TNT asap

IGotACoolStory
02-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Reggie's voice is unbearable.

I like CWebb. He knows how to blend in with the guys while holding his own. ...Unlike Shaq whose personality is too overpowering. Webber's IQ on the game is actually very good and he does a decent job at calling games.

RidonKs
02-20-2013, 01:28 AM
he's terrific and should get a permanent spot. there's a reason he's been kept on, at least on nbatv. perfect combo of insight and interaction. there's way too much bullshit on these shows where guys are just saying something because they know they have to say something. cwebb is a rare exception, hope he finds a permanent placement on a network that matters.

btw i really don't like reggie. honestly i think he should switch places, webber would be much better at calling games and i think reggie would contribute more in the studio with a more slow and steady type analysis.

i also like wilbon, tho i can see why others wouldn't

InspiredLebowski
02-20-2013, 01:29 AM
A Reggie Miller jersey was tacked to the wall over my bed from the ages of about 12-18.

Reggie Miller is a ****ing awful announcer.

Mr. I'm So Rad
02-20-2013, 01:30 AM
C-Webb, GP, EJ, Kenny, Chuck

That panel, sitting in that order on TNT would be guaranteed Emmys for years to come.

alwaysunny
02-20-2013, 01:32 AM
C-Webbs the man. Watched him interview Gallo just a moment ago. I was laughing so hard I thought I'd get complaints from the neighbors. He's one of my favorite person in basketball to listen to.

BlueandGold
02-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Is it just me i hate chuck just as much as shaq. Can't even pronounce simple words correctly like terrible. :facepalm It's like TNT is secretly being racist to black people by putting all the stupid ones on their primetime slot.

#number6ix#
02-20-2013, 01:44 AM
I think Greg Anthony is funnier than c-Webb

(e)
02-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Yeah I wish CWebb had Shaq's spot as well. While I don't think he would bring as many laughs, his insights would be more thought out.

While I would never doubt Shaq, Kenny, or Chuck's basketball minds, I think CWebb clearly blows all three of them out of the water in terms of his capability to relate the game (Kenny being the only one remotely close).

InspiredLebowski
02-20-2013, 01:49 AM
Yeah I wish CWebb had Shaq's spot as well. While I don't think he would bring as many laughs, his insights would be more thought out.

While I would never doubt Shaq, Kenny, or Chuck's basketball minds, I think CWebb clearly blows all three of them out of the water in terms of his capability to relate the game (Kenny being the only one remotely close).Common denominator? Webber and Kenny didn't go to SEC schools.

mrpibb
02-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Common denominator? Webber and Kenny didn't go to SEC schools.

I see what you did there.

AussieG
02-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Is it just me i hate chuck just as much as shaq. Can't even pronounce simple words correctly like terrible. :facepalm It's like TNT is secretly being racist to black people by putting all the stupid ones on their primetime slot.
That's pretty funny.. :lol even though I love Chuck.. he's probably the reason I got into the NBA so much in the first place. Didn't like Jordan, he was too predictably good.. sort of like playing a computer game on easy mode.. too easy.

(e)
02-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Common denominator? Webber and Kenny didn't go to SEC schools.
:roll:

B4llin
02-20-2013, 02:34 AM
It's because he called a time out in the NCAA final four and took money from a bookie

The nba won't let TNT here him permanently

It's also the reason why the nba rigged the lakers kings series.

Pointguard
02-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Webber is a great mix of insight, laughs and good journalism. He has a great ability to seem like he's your friend and can speak real plain to you for a minute. He could seamlessly move between academics, clowns and fanatics. He also knows when to up the energy or get you to feel for a player. One of the best I've seen.

Burgz V2
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Webber is great. He doesn't just use clich

SilkkTheShocker
02-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Even Malone was better than Shaq.

chips93
02-20-2013, 08:54 AM
shaq is on there because hes a huge name, that casual fans recognise, and thats who tnt have to appeal to

real diehard fans are gonna watch the games regardless of who's on there, and those are the people that hate shaq, and the people who like c-webb.

C-Webb, GP, EJ, Kenny, Chuck

That panel, sitting in that order on TNT would be guaranteed Emmys for years to come.

payton is enthusiastic and really fun, but hes way too black.

im pretty sure that the average person/casual fan wouldnt find him funny

RoundMoundOfReb
02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Agreed cwebb > shaq

SilkkTheShocker
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM
shaq is on there because hes a huge name, that casual fans recognise, and thats who tnt have to appeal to

real diehard fans are gonna watch the games regardless of who's on there, and those are the people that hate shaq, and the people who like c-webb.

This. I like Payton a lot. But TNT probably only wants him more as a guest than anything.

Does anyone remember when they brought in Greg Anthony? You could tell him and Kenny didn't like each other :oldlol:

Sakkreth
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
It's because Shaq has championship rings.

One of em belongs to Chris anyways.

Shepseskaf
02-20-2013, 09:48 AM
This is why I hate that so many scrawny white kids love the NBA.

C-Webb is stoic truth and he's a true professional in the analyst game. He calls out media cliches and he's just a real dude.

If you don't like C-Webb, enjoy your Wilbon type analysts. Guys who are just a suit.

You don't get realer than C-Webb.
Couldn't agree more. Television sports analysis, in general, needs to be dis-Tirico'ed.

It needs more realness and much less pc garbage.

02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
This. I like Payton a lot. But TNT probably only wants him more as a guest than anything.

Does anyone remember when they brought in Greg Anthony? You could tell him and Kenny didn't like each other :oldlol:

94 finals...:lol

andremiller07
02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Dude a great anaylist no doubt, I would also love it if he came to sometimes coach/mentor the Sacramento Kings bigs every now and than.

CeltsGarlic
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
C-Webb team! My fav analyst out there. And dude loves Motiejunas.

Rasheed1
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
I like them all in different ways.. Webber has his moments as does Shaq and Kenny. I like Reggie & Charles too.

Never understood all the b*tching and whining over Shaq.

Glide2keva
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Because a bunch of 12 year olds think Shaq is HALARIOUS. Who the hell knows, Webber's outstanding in every facet of TV he's done.

Hell, I watched one of those NBA Courtside things on NBATV last night I hadn't seen before where they talked about Black History Month, racial integration, climbing the class ladder, that kind of stuff. Webber killed it. Legitimate insights that you could tell he cared about, none of the generic shit. Talking about teaching kids that you don't have to be rich and famous to be successful in life. Have a good family, a roof over your head, a loving environment, and you're just as successful as he is. Just because you don't make it on the court doesn't mean you failed type of stuff. It was seriously great.

Webber is a really, really smart cat. If TNT keeps under-utilizing him he needs to go somewhere else, sports related or not. He's great calling a game, he knows Xs and Os, he needs to get a college coaching job immediately.
I would like to him coaching in the NBA. I think him and Kobe are going to be great coaches one day.

Everything you said is spot on.

Glide2keva
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Secretly?

Glide2keva
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
One of em belongs to Chris anyways.
:applause:

BIG TEN & ACC!!!!!

Glide2keva
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM

im pretty sure that the average person/casual fan wouldnt find him funny:biggums: :facepalm

Mr. I'm So Rad
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM

The average/casual fan doesn't find Shaq funny either.

reppy
02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
I like Chris Webber. I never really appreciated (or noticed) his basketball IQ when he was a player. He's pretty comfortable in front of the camera and I think he makes his points pretty well. And most importantly, the guy can take a joke.

TheBigVeto
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM

This.

Clifton
02-20-2013, 05:44 PM
I agree with all of this.

However, he flat out does not have any chemistry with EJ/Kenny/Charles. Neither does Shaq. I have never seen anyone go on that show and not be a total fourth wheel who conspicuously does not fit in.

It would be better to have comedians and celebrities guest-star twice a month rather than to try to force a fourth ex-player on the panel.

mrpibb
02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I agree with all of this.

However, he flat out does not have any chemistry with EJ/Kenny/Charles. Neither does Shaq. I have never seen anyone go on that show and not be a total fourth wheel who conspicuously does not fit in.

It would be better to have comedians and celebrities guest-star twice a month rather than to try to force a fourth ex-player on the panel.

I felt he had great chemistry with them.

Money 23
02-20-2013, 05:48 PM
He should be. Better attitude, better speaker, more entertaining.

Shaq is corny, irritating, insecure, and a giant baby who ruins the chemistry and context of the entire show on a nightly basis.

He catches feelings over the smallest jokes, and has destroyed the self deprecating, barber shop humor that made the show such a hit.

Levity
02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
id love to see webber become a full time color commentator for tnt, if he doesnt get a full time as an analyst

Money 23
02-20-2013, 06:02 PM
EJ, Kenny, Chuck, Reggie, C-Webb, Kerr, and GP (on occassion) and I'm good.

chips93
02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
The average/casual fan doesn't find Shaq funny either.

maybe not but at least they recognise shaq

tmacattack33
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
EJ, Kenny, Chuck, Reggie, C-Webb, Kerr, and GP (on occassion) and I'm good.

Yup, all of these guys are good and have been proven.

And all of them are ex players besides EJ so they always throw in some interesting sh*t about when they used to play. It's good tv...almost makes ESPN look amateurish in comparison.

Linspired
02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Webber is simply the best. my favorite commentator/analyst right now.

BlueCrayon
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Kevin Harlan and Chris Webber broadcasting duo :bowdown: :bowdown:

KrizMiz
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
As much as i love shaq - get him of the show ... he is bad - really bad (yeah a great fan of him says that.......)

Rake2204
04-23-2015, 08:37 PM
I probably already said it in this thread but, Chris Webber's a great commentator. He's very knowledgeable, almost always aware of what's happening on-court (which is apparently harder than it sounds), and he's measured and real. He's able to articulate what's happening on the floor like he's a former professional basketball player (also evidently much harder than it sounds). Probably one of my favorite color analysts at this point.

L8krH8tr
04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Webber smokes too much weed, im surprised they even employed him.

Leftimage
04-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Webber is a masterful commentator imo. Probably the best among all the ex-players. Real soothing to listen to, and he is never awkward in any way, unlike pretty much every other former player who does TV stuff.

Honestly, he's too quality for the in-studio schtick.