PDA

View Full Version : Who wins DPOY this year?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Favorites coming into the year:

Howard - Lakers D is not very good. He's been underwhelming.
Chandler - I hear from knicks' fans that he has dropped off this year defensively.
Garnett - Celtics have underachieved.
Ibaka - Came in close second last year but block numbers are down.

Seems as if there isn't any real candidate. Nobody is getting any hype.

2 questions:

Who deserves it?

Who will win it?

andremiller07
02-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Marc Gasol easily

tikay0
02-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Marc Gasol easily

Has he been killing it on defense? Haven't payed attention to Grizz at all.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Marc Gasol easily
You think he's got the media hype though?

no pun intended
02-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Avery Bradley.

andremiller07
02-22-2013, 03:29 AM
You think he's got the media hype though?

No but regardless, hes been the best defensive big this year and the Grizz are an elite defensive team. Just cause he doesn't win it due to media does not mean hes not DPOY or shouldn't get it. The guys rotations and non-jumping blocks is insane.

Sarcastic
02-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Larry Sanders should win it

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/The%20Dwight%20Effect%20A%20New%20Ensemble%20of%20 Interior%20Defense%20Analytics%20for%20the%20NBA.p df

AKADS
02-22-2013, 03:33 AM
I would love for the Media to give it to Duncan as a career acheivement award.

How does he have none.

dbk123
02-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Russell Westbrook. Only dude in the league that can hold durant under 30.

Eric Cartman
02-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Russell Westbrook. Only dude in the league that can hold durant under 30.

Haven't heard this joke before.

plowking
02-22-2013, 03:38 AM

How does he have none.

Meh. I personally don't think Duncan's ever deserved it, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-22-2013, 03:38 AM

How does he have none.
I think he's probably the favorite right now. He's got they hype with the block numbers.

selrahc
02-22-2013, 03:41 AM
kobe deserves it this year

SonOfMattGeiger
02-22-2013, 03:43 AM
the show

Dave3
02-22-2013, 03:43 AM
Favorites coming into the year:

Howard - Lakers D is not very good. He's been underwhelming.
Chandler - I hear from knicks' fans that he has dropped off this year defensively.
Garnett - Celtics have underachieved.
Ibaka - Came in close second last year but block numbers are down.

Seems as if there isn't any real candidate. Nobody is getting any hype.

2 questions:

Who deserves it?

Who will win it?I honestly think the media might push LeBron to win it this year. He was second last year, and all the other candidates haven't been hyped at all, so this might be his year. I mean, he is still the same beast on defense that came in 2nd last year.

I haven't watched the Grizzlies this year, but I imagine if Tony Allen is playing the same level defense he has the past couple years he should be in the running. He's pretty intense.

BigTicket
02-22-2013, 03:48 AM
If I had a vote, I'd probably go with Duncan. Not that he's having a particularly great year defensively, but he's solid as always, and noone else is really standing out this year.

Alternatively I guess you could go with Sanders or Ibaka, but I don't feel like either one of them have really earned it. And there's no way I could pick Chandler or Howard this year.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-22-2013, 03:49 AM
I honestly think the media might push LeBron to win it this year. He was second last year, and all the other candidates haven't been hyped at all, so this might be his year. I mean, he is still the same beast on defense that came in 2nd last year.

I haven't watched the Grizzlies this year, but I imagine if Tony Allen is playing the same level defense he has the past couple years he should be in the running. He's pretty intense.
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/05/02/dpoy-release/index.html

He was 4th (2nd in 09 i think). But it's possible. He's having a better defensive year than the 3 who finished higher than him last year.

DuMa
02-22-2013, 03:49 AM
there are no frontrunners this year. If i had a vote though, It would be tough to decide who is the DPOY.

chazzy
02-22-2013, 03:52 AM
I honestly think the media might push LeBron to win it this year. He was second last year, and all the other candidates haven't been hyped at all, so this might be his year. I mean, he is still the same beast on defense that came in 2nd last year.
Meh, Miami's not even top 10 this year defensively. Their defensive woes was a talking point early on in the year, especially on their perimeter rotations

Dave3
02-22-2013, 03:53 AM
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/05/02/dpoy-release/index.html

He was 4th (2nd in 09 i think). But it's possible. He's having a better defensive year than the 3 who finished higher than him last year.
Oh wow, brain fart there - I was 3 years off :oldlol: I swear I'm not getting that old...

Dave3
02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Meh, Miami's not even top 10 this year defensively. Their defensive woes was a talking point early on in the year, especially on their perimeter rotations
Yeah, because no one on the team seemed to be trying except for LeBron. They all looked lazy after winning, but now the rest of them have turned up the intensity. But yeah, I don't know if he should win it, I'm just saying that's a name the media has been trying to push a couple times, so this might be the year. To be honest I don't watch enough teams to actually judge every player in the league. I only watch like 4 or 5 teams really.

no pun intended
02-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Paul George deserves a lot of attention too.

NuggetsFan
02-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Meh. I personally don't think Duncan's ever deserved it, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

Duncan is the definition of a defensive anchor. Goes beyond statistics and block numbers, which is basically what the award has become. He had great post defense, protected the rim and altered tons of shots while making guys think twice, grabbed the defensive rebounds. He deserved one at the very least IMO. Ben Wallace and KG are the only big men in this decade that you could even make an argument for, and in KG's case that's due to versatility. Honestly who's been close to Duncan in terms of defensive impact this decade? KG I could get behind being better, Wallace had a crazy stretch but I dunno, just off the top of my head not seeing many guy's.

Nowadays a guy like Camby who feasts on weakside blocks can win it if he grabs tons of rebounds. If I had to put money on it it'll be the guy who has the best RPG + BPG averages or somebody like LeBron who the media pushes but even than I think that's less likely. Ibaka seems like a solid prediction. Winning team, close to 3 blocks a game, 8 boards.

All Net
02-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Nobody stands out at all...Sanders? lol

maybe duncan.

plowking
02-22-2013, 04:12 AM
Duncan is the definition of a defensive anchor. Goes beyond statistics and block numbers, which is basically what the award has become. He had great post defense, protected the rim and altered tons of shots while making guys think twice, grabbed the defensive rebounds. He deserved one at the very least IMO. Ben Wallace and KG are the only big men in this decade that you could even make an argument for, and in KG's case that's due to versatility. Honestly who's been close to Duncan in terms of defensive impact this decade? KG I could get behind being better, Wallace had a crazy stretch but I dunno, just off the top of my head not seeing many guy's.

Nowadays a guy like Camby who feasts on weakside blocks can win it if he grabs tons of rebounds. If I had to put money on it it'll be the guy who has the best RPG + BPG averages or somebody like LeBron who the media pushes but even than I think that's less likely. Ibaka seems like a solid prediction. Winning team, close to 3 blocks a game, 8 boards.

I don't see the problem with Camby's DPOY like many people do. He was a rim protector, and he averaged more steals, as well as 2 more defensive rebounds a game than Duncan. People were acting as if its a travesty, when if anything it was a solid pick.

Sarcastic
02-22-2013, 04:12 AM
Nobody stands out at all...Sanders? lol

maybe duncan.

Did you see the actual stats?

http://i46.tinypic.com/4qr9g.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/2dufguo.png

imnew09
02-22-2013, 04:13 AM
They're going to give it to Lebron this year.

1987_Lakers
No way Dwight is gonna get the award
Chandler isn't gonna win it back to back
Ibaka gets overrated as a defender & he was more dominant last season
KG although still a very good defender is on his last legs

This is the perfect year for the media to hype LeBron as the DPOY, but I do believe M. Gasol deserves the award right now. Noah also deserves a mention.

fpliii
Marc Gasol and Noah should be the frontrunners. Duncan's missed a lot of time, and KG's team doesn't have a good enough record (though they're complete shit without him)...I fully expect both of these issues to change though, so it should be an open four-man race (I'd like to see Duncan win, but Gasol really deserves it).

OT: The Pacers have the #1 DRtg in the league. How responsible is Hibbert for anchoring their defense? Is Paul George a big part of it?

Sarcastic
02-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Marc Gasol and Noah should be the frontrunners. Duncan's missed a lot of time, and KG's team doesn't have a good enough record (though they're complete shit without him)...I fully expect both of these issues to change though, so it should be an open four-man race (I'd like to see Duncan win, but Gasol really deserves it).

OT: The Pacers have the #1 DRtg in the league. How responsible is Hibbert for anchoring their defense? Is Paul George a big part of it?

Hibbert is a huge part of it. He should be in the running.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-22-2013, 04:17 AM

I was just about to ask this. lol.

Dave3
02-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Did you see the actual stats?

http://i46.tinypic.com/4qr9g.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/2dufguo.png
Bargnani 2nd in proximal FG%? Either that's a useless stat, or he's just not considered "proximal" so often when his man is scoring so those baskets are not counted :oldlol:

Sarcastic
02-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Bargnani 2nd in proximal FG%? Either that's a useless stat, or he's just not considered "proximal" so often when his man is scoring so those baskets are not counted :oldlol:

Bargnani has a smaller sample size than others this year, so his may be slightly skewed.

But sorry that the actual data doesn't fit your narrative. It is what it is.

Dave3
02-22-2013, 04:24 AM
Bargnani has a smaller sample size than others this year, so his may be slightly skewed.

But sorry that the actual data doesn't fit your narrative. It is what it is.
It's alright, I was kidding. I don't seriously attack anything that is inconsistent with something I thought.

Richesly
02-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Homerism aside, Josh Smith.

Was ranked best perimeter defender in the league and is arguably the best help defender in the league. Great shot blocker and pass interceptor.

bdreason
02-22-2013, 04:32 AM
LeBron will probably win it. Media needs him to get the award so they can continue the, "is he better than MJ?" narrative.

roffie
02-22-2013, 04:39 AM
i want duncan to win it..

saunder has been great but dont think he's done enough

NuggetsFan
02-22-2013, 04:54 AM
I don't see the problem with Camby's DPOY like many people do. He was a rim protector, and he averaged more steals, as well as 2 more defensive rebounds a game than Duncan. People were acting as if its a travesty, when if anything it was a solid pick.

I guess it was an ok pick by today's standards. I saw Camby as good rebounder, great help defender, pretty meh everywhere else. He played on a team where he could roam around.

Zero argument for him being a better defensive player than Tim Duncan.

D-Wade316
02-22-2013, 05:00 AM
KG getting absolutely no love. LOL at the Avery Bradley mention.

I<3NBA
02-22-2013, 05:06 AM
i'll go with Kobe. only player that can keep Nash, Howard, Gasol from scoring - all at the same time.

that's gotta be a record.

Kevin_Garnett_5
02-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Duncan should have got one sometime during his career, and he's definitely in the hunt this year. Noah, Hibbert, and Sanders are some other candidates. And I think KG deserves consideration too because he's the only big on his team and they're still pretty high in the defensive rankings.

It's a close race though.

Rubio2Gasol
02-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Noah.

LEFT4DEAD
02-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Give it to perimeter player already. Paul George or Lebron James.

inclinerator
02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
dwight howard or kobe bryant, single highhandedly keeping the lakers out the playoffs

SilkkTheShocker
02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
F.uck it, give it to the Bosh just for the hell of it :oldlol:

HylianNightmare
02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Dpoy mvp and fmvp for lebron this year

wagexslave
02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
PJ Tucker deserves it

He frustrates the crap out of even the best scorers in the league.

andremiller07
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
PJ Tucker deserves it

He frustrates the crap out of even the best scorers in the league.
I can see him making an All NBA defensive 2nd/3rd team tbh

pauk
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Have absolutely no idea...... Ibaka, Chandler, Howard, Chandler, Lebron, Duncan, Sanders..... nobody really stands out...

Problem with DPOY is that it has also no real specific criteria like MVP....... its just one of those 1st all-defensive dudes that will win it based on the random votes, sometimes its evident who will win it, sometimes not... but its most probably a big man, voters seem to like rebounding/blocking.... not even the greatest perimeter defender of all time won it (Pippen)...

Chandler recieved the most votes for DPOY last year, next thing you know the voters give Lebron the most votes for 1st all-defensive team.......... doesnt make sense...

arifgokcen
02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
This year no player really stands out.Lebron at this point has no chance.As good as he is defensively,miami is still barely top 10 defensively.He would have definitely got it with last years performance but not this year.

Maybe noah.

nightprowler10
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Between Duncan, Noah, and Marc Gasol for me.

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Marc Gasol easily

Not easily...I think Noah is the DPOTY, but it's close.

fpliii
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Have absolutely no idea...... Ibaka, Chandler, Howard, Chandler, Lebron, Duncan, Sanders..... nobody really stands out...

Problem with DPOY is that it has also no real specific criteria like MVP....... its just one of those 1st all-defensive dudes that will win it based on the random votes, sometimes its evident who will win it, sometimes not... but its most probably a big man, voters seem to like rebounding/blocking.... not even the greatest perimeter defender of all time won it (Pippen)...

Chandler recieved the most votes for DPOY last year, next thing you know the voters give Lebron the most votes for 1st all-defensive team.......... doesnt make sense...

Noah, Marc Gasol, Duncan definitely stand out IMO. I do think it's a shame that Pippen never won, but that's the problem with a yearly award: if the competition is tough, multiple candidates who would be shoe-ins in most other seasons don't win in a given season, while a Camby can win in another. I'm going to put together a list of my retro DPOYs soon (not that anyone cares), hopefully Pippen and Duncan show up favorably in my analysis.

Regarding the bolded...DPOY is voted on by the media, the All-Defensive Teams are voted on by the coaches.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Duncan or Noah for me but I wont hate on Marc Gasol. Ive not watched many of their games but I noticed he was solid when I did.

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
There is a real chance that Ibaka wins it...that will be a true travesty. People whine about Camby, who is a great defensive player, but Ibaka is nothing more than good.

If James plays the rest of the year the way he has been playing then he's deserving of an All-Defensive place...not DPOTY but to be on the team. I know he'll make the 1st Team, regardless, but he shouldn't.

Wallace, KG, Smith, Duncan, Kirilenko, Thabo, Allen. That's probably the list.

B-Easy8
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Timmy is the only player I have seen that has outplayed Pekovic this year. He completely shut him down.

Sanders should be up there as well.

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Garnett is absolutely a better defender than Duncan. And Ben Wallace, at his best, is also the better defender. It's easy to make fun of Dwight Howard and to play down his game because of the lack of great centers, but Howard is the better defender (not this season). You can't be more prototypical as an anchor than he is.

fpliii
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
There is a real chance that Ibaka wins it...that will be a true travesty. People whine about Camby, who is a great defensive player, but Ibaka is nothing more than good.

If James plays the rest of the year the way he has been playing then he's deserving of an All-Defensive place...not DPOTY but to be on the team. I know he'll make the 1st Team, regardless, but he shouldn't.

I don't have a huge problem with Camby winning that season...his case wasn't bad, but I think that was a weak year for DPOY. Ibaka has improved his man defense this season, but I haven't watched him enough to know how much.

I think that's a good list, but Iguodala deserves mention (for First Team All-Defense, not DPOY). I've had a chance to watch a lot of him this season, and he's been exceptional.

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't have a huge problem with Camby winning that season...his case wasn't bad, but I think that was a weak year for DPOY. Ibaka has improved his man defense this season, but I haven't watched him enough to know how much.

I think that's a good list, but Iguodala deserves mention (for First Team All-Defense, not DPOY). I've had a chance to watch a lot of him this season, and he's been exceptional.

Iggy will make it the team, at least the second team...he's playing the guard position so he's up for consideration. Him, Thabo, Allen. Conley and Hinrich are also in the discussion. I think Paul could end up making the team too.

2007 was not a standout year. KG could have been in the conversation but his team was bad. The fact that there was no standout is why people clamor for Duncan. The truth is that his defense in the regular season hasn't been nearly the same since 2004, maybe even 2003. His overall in the regular season has not been the same since 2004.

SilkkTheShocker
02-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Good Lord, you're a f.ucking moron

JerryWest
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Duncan, Hibbert, Dwight or Sanders

Harison
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
I wouldnt mind if TD gets DPOY as a "life-time achievement" reward, its a travesty he doesnt have even one. While there are better defenders, but nobody really stands out, and Spurs record is very good (to be fair, with or without him).

Neither Ibaka nor Chandler has a case this season.

Marc Gasol and Noah... maybe, they are solid and have a good team record.

KG anchored Top3 defense all alone (before Bradley returned), and Celtics D was total garbage when he was on the bench (much worse than Bobcats). But team record isnt here, and minutes limited.

pauk
02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Noah, Marc Gasol, Duncan definitely stand out IMO. I do think it's a shame that Pippen never won, but that's the problem with a yearly award: if the competition is tough, multiple candidates who would be shoe-ins in most other seasons don't win in a given season, while a Camby can win in another. I'm going to put together a list of my retro DPOYs soon (not that anyone cares), hopefully Pippen and Duncan show up favorably in my analysis.

Regarding the bolded...DPOY is voted on by the media, the All-Defensive Teams are voted on by the coaches.

I know and it still doesnt make sense.... who has the more valid opinion? Media or Coaches?

fpliii
02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I know and it still doesnt make sense.... who has the more valid opinion? Media or Coaches?

IMO coaches by a long shot (though some don't vote, and hand it off to assistants, tainting the voting); recently I've started to value All-Star selections (not starts) more than the All-NBA teams similarly. I think voting by players is the best bet for awards in general, but I don't know if any awards still do this (The Sporting News MVP *might*).

Fatstogey
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Lebron. People just hate cause theyd ont want him to get DPOY and MVP but he should.

fpliii
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Lebron. People just hate cause theyd ont want him to get DPOY and MVP but he should.

Don't see it (but he should clearly win MVP IMO). Can you make the case?

Pointguard
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Yeah, Lebron wins it as a consolation prize if he doesn't get his deserved MVP. Garnett might have the lead. Ibaka better not get it. He gets abused quite often. Howard, better not get it either.

lilgodfather1
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
It would be a travesty if LeBron wins the DPOY imo, but if he does I won't be shocked. 4xMVP, and DPOY winner smack dab in his prime? Possible he wins 2-3 more MVPs, and another DPOY. That makes for a great story, which the media obviously loves...

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 02:04 PM

You're far too open minded. He isn't going to make a case past slobbering. James had a real argument last year, but the reason I still take last year over this year is because of his defense.

DuMa
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
your 2013 Defensive Player of the Year :bowdown:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Im5bnrlId8M/TiKDPOucidI/AAAAAAAABIc/SATtvqYfvaE/s1600/larry-sanders_M_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

necya
02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
to be honest, unfortunately no one deserve it.

Odinn
02-22-2013, 02:30 PM
When you look at the DPoY history;
Dwight Howard
Kevin Garnett
Ben Wallace
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning
Hakeem Olajuwon
David Robinson
Dennis Rodman

Currently, there is no one as good as those names defensively. So...

to be honest, unfortunately no one deserve it.
I kinda agree with this.

But I'm a Duncan fan and I think he should have won this award at least once and he's one of the best defenders in this season so far. I hope he wins this season. At least, he should make the Defensive 1st Team.

Fatstogey
02-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Did you see the fast breaks he stopped last night? Just based on that. How many easy baskets he takes back. Hes not just defending in a half court set. He chases people down and takes away free points. Almost a like a 4 point defensive play.

He changes peoples offense just by his presence. They are afraid hes gonna chase them down. Look at Deng last night on the break. He stopped someone else on the break too last night.

Compare to a Kobe or Jordan. Great defenders. But Jordan and Kobe can not go down and defend a 4. Lebron can defend 1-4 at a super star level. And he could defend a 5 if you forced him to. He can gaurd on the perimeter or in the paint. Hes about the most versatile defender that has ever been. And if he wasn ta volume scorer his defense would be even better. For someone who scores like he does but plays defense at that level is pretty impressive.

But yea think of how many chase down blocks he has and what that means to the teams game to take a 100% shot and take it back. That means a lot.

And i havent even gotten into steals. Or deflections.

Also i mean defensive rebounds are gonna count too. Normally it would go to dwight but since hes down this year no other big man has super dominated. So i think Lebron deserves at least 1 in his career for the level of defense that hes always played.

Kurosawa0
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
I see Duncan getting it. Marc has a shot, but it really hurts that the Grizzlies have fallen off

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Did you see the fast breaks he stopped last night? Just based on that. How many easy baskets he takes back. Hes not just defending in a half court set. He chases people down and takes away free points. Almost a like a 4 point defensive play.

He changes peoples offense just by his presence. They are afraid hes gonna chase them down. Look at Deng last night on the break. He stopped someone else on the break too last night.

Compare to a Kobe or Jordan. Great defenders. But Jordan and Kobe can not go down and defend a 4. Lebron can defend 1-4 at a super star level. And he could defend a 5 if you forced him to. He can gaurd on the perimeter or in the paint. Hes about the most versatile defender that has ever been. And if he wasn ta volume scorer his defense would be even better. For someone who scores like he does but plays defense at that level is pretty impressive.

But yea think of how many chase down blocks he has and what that means to the teams game to take a 100% shot and take it back. That means a lot.

Also i mean defensive rebounds are gonna count too. Normally it would go to dwight but since hes down this year no other big man has super dominated. So i think Lebron deserves at least 1 in his career for the level of defense that hes always played.

Is it irrelevant that he wasn't playing with anywhere near this effort on defense until last month?

DonDadda59
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Timmy D... finally.

TylerOO
02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Larry Sanders all day.

ncrizzle
02-22-2013, 04:03 PM
:banghead:
I see Duncan getting it. Marc has a shot, but it really hurts that the Grizzlies have fallen off
They have won 5 straight, soon to be 6 tonight. 2 games behind the clippers and 4 behind the Thunder. You sound like they are battling for a playoff birth

Tking714
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I really hope a wing player gets it. Hopefully Lebron

Just2McFly
02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
What is Duncan doing on defense that merits him being DPOY?

fpliii
02-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Based on your definition of defense LeBron would win if he plays at the same level he has for the past month or two to close at the season. I'm more concerned with my guy locking down the paint in the half court, altering shots and intimidating. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't have had a problem with LeBron winning last year though (though he wouldn't be my pick).

Fatstogey
02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Is it irrelevant that he wasn't playing with anywhere near this effort on defense until last month?
No hes played with the same effort as always. But your spoiled now as to how many chase down blocks he has. I was watchin a clip where in the playoffs or maybe the finals Peyton stole the ball from MJ and ran it back for a lay in. Thinking "man lebron woulda chased him down and blocked him." Jordan didnt even run after him.

rmt
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
What is Duncan doing on defense that merits him being DPOY?

#3 in blocks/game
#5 in defensive rebounds/game
#1 in blocks/foul
#1 in defensive plays/foul

in only 29.4 minutes. Spurs are 3rd in defensive rating and 4th in defensive efficiency

There is no clear-cut leader this year so it'd be nice for him to get it even if it were given as a lifetime achievement. He did anchor the best defensive team in the league for over a decade.

Just2McFly
02-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Lifetime achievement award? I hope that the voters aren't thinking like you guys, he shouldn't get it when there are better candidates.

NumberSix
02-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Kobe

rmt
02-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Lifetime achievement award? I hope that the voters aren't thinking like you guys, he shouldn't get it when there are better candidates.

such as? Please state your case for the player you'd choose.

Just2McFly
02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
such as? Please state your case for the player you'd choose.
I'd go with someone from Memphis.

Also I think that historically perimeter defenders have been overlooked. Giving Duncan one in the twilight of his career when he's a shell of himself defensively seems wrong. It's not like he isn't a candidate, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

rmt
02-22-2013, 07:21 PM
I'd go with someone from Memphis.

Also I think that historically perimeter defenders have been overlooked. Giving Duncan one in the twilight of his career when he's a shell of himself defensively seems wrong. It's not like he isn't a candidate, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Just "someone from Memphis" - no specific person? Should they just give it to the whole team then?

Duncan is the clear-cut best defensive player on the Spurs. When he sits, the defense is noticeably worse, especially when Diaw, Blair or Bonner are out there. Pray where is this defense coming from? Leonard is the only other above average defensive player on the team, and he's been out for 20 games.

The reason why historically perimeter defenders have been overlooked is because they do not impact the game defensively as much as rim/paint protectors (big men). Only in 02-03 season (his absolute peak) has Duncan had a higher block rate - 2.9 blocks in 39.3 minutes. This year, at 36 years old, he has 2.7 blocks in 29.4 minutes.

Is he a shell of himself defensively - yes, the mobility is not what it used to be - but still good enough to be in the running at this advanced age. That's a testament to how great a defensive player he was. He shouldn't be compared to how he used to be but to the current competition.

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 07:22 PM
No hes played with the same effort as always. But your spoiled now as to how many chase down blocks he has. I was watchin a clip where in the playoffs or maybe the finals Peyton stole the ball from MJ and ran it back for a lay in. Thinking "man lebron woulda chased him down and blocked him." Jordan didnt even run after him.

Oh that's what it is?

This whole time I thought he was better last year, based on me watching him be much better last year.

PP34Deuce
02-22-2013, 07:25 PM
This is the one season where no one has ran away with it.... In my opinion the winner should be Duncan.

Best team in the league... Great anchor... Close to 3 blocks a game. I think it would be a nice "send off" achievement.

After that I like Noah whos team is in that 4-5 seed and playing above whats expected.

fpliii
02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Oh that's what it is?

This whole time I thought he was better last year, based on me watching him be much better last year.

BTW, what would KG have to do in your opinion to win? Also, which perimeter player do you think has the best chance, as of today (George, it seems)?

Whoah10115
02-22-2013, 07:51 PM
BTW, what would KG have to do in your opinion to win? Also, which perimeter player do you think has the best chance, as of today (George, it seems)?

They have to be good...their defense has been average, at best, this year. They didn't exactly help him. This team needs a center...desperately. Duncan likely has a better chance, as people always go on about how he's underrated and lacking in more trophies and all that. I know he could win it. For Garnett to be ahead of him, KG has to get those rebounds up and he has to block more shots, along with his team winning and being a strong defensive team the rest of the year...or maybe him making some big stops down the stretch of games.

I can't see George having any chance. He's gonna struggle to make the All-Defensive Team. Allen is not having as good a year as last year, but he's still great and his team is the best defensive team in the league. But, with LeBron not being on, I don't see any perimeter guy having a real shot.

wagexslave
02-22-2013, 08:35 PM
I can see him making an All NBA defensive 2nd/3rd team tbh
He wont get any recognition for his efforts though just because he's a "no-name" player still trying to make a reputation for himself in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTxZd0DjHY

Look at him making Kobe look like a joke... lol. I'll tell you what, I'm sure Kobe would vote for PJ as DPOY. Kobe hasn't had much fun against the Suns this year specifically because of him.

imnew09
02-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Those who said Brook Lopez should stop commenting. Look at the Hou Vs Nets game, most of Houstons' points were scored in the paint. (Dunks)

D-Wade316
02-22-2013, 11:56 PM
They have to be good...their defense has been average, at best, this year. They didn't exactly help him. This team needs a center...desperately. Duncan likely has a better chance, as people always go on about how he's underrated and lacking in more trophies and all that. I know he could win it. For Garnett to be ahead of him, KG has to get those rebounds up and he has to block more shots, along with his team winning and being a strong defensive team the rest of the year...or maybe him making some big stops down the stretch of games.

I can't see George having any chance. He's gonna struggle to make the All-Defensive Team. Allen is not having as good a year as last year, but he's still great and his team is the best defensive team in the league. But, with LeBron not being on, I don't see any perimeter guy having a real shot.
Average? They're sixth brah.

Whoah10115
02-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Average? They're sixth brah.

More a consequence of the ugly pace they play at...they've struggled all year.

Dro
02-23-2013, 01:40 AM
No love for PG #24 or Hibbert? The best defensive team in the league? Hibbert has been subpar on offense but has been ELITE on defense...rotating, blocking shots, changing shots, and diving for loose balls....PG has had a very good year overall but I still feel Lebron has probably had a better defensive year than him...

Just2McFly
02-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Just "someone from Memphis" - no specific person? Should they just give it to the whole team then?

Duncan is the clear-cut best defensive player on the Spurs. When he sits, the defense is noticeably worse, especially when Diaw, Blair or Bonner are out there. Pray where is this defense coming from? Leonard is the only other above average defensive player on the team, and he's been out for 20 games.

The reason why historically perimeter defenders have been overlooked is because they do not impact the game defensively as much as rim/paint protectors (big men). Only in 02-03 season (his absolute peak) has Duncan had a higher block rate - 2.9 blocks in 39.3 minutes. This year, at 36 years old, he has 2.7 blocks in 29.4 minutes.

Is he a shell of himself defensively - yes, the mobility is not what it used to be - but still good enough to be in the running at this advanced age. That's a testament to how great a defensive player he was. He shouldn't be compared to how he used to be but to the current competition.

A well thought response. :cheers:

It doesn't even make sense, I do not have any feelings toward Duncan, but I just do not think it's right for him to win DPOY this year. Something about it I do not agree with.

This is something that I am going to have pay more attention to for the remainder of the year because there isn't any definitive reason why he shouldn't win. The thing is, there are so many people there with him. Noah, Marc and TA in Memphis, Some say Lebron, etc..

InspiredLebowski
02-23-2013, 01:53 AM
No love for PG #24 or Hibbert? The best defensive team in the league? Hibbert has been subpar on offense but has been ELITE on defense...rotating, blocking shots, changing shots, and diving for loose balls....PG has had a very good year overall but I still feel Lebron has probably had a better defensive year than him...Meh, they both deserve a few votes but not the actual award and I'm fine with that. Roy probably won't make an All D team either, they only do 2 right? And big a homer as I wanna be I'd still take Noah and Chandler over him as defenders. Roy's an elite rim defender, honestly maybe the best in the entire league, but his defensive impact is limited to within 5 feet of the rim or so. His lack of footspeed keeps him from switching onto a ballhandler or even hedging all that hard really.

PG's got a helluva case for an All D team though. Can defend 3 positions extremely well, even the occasional face up 4, tied for the 2nd best defensive rating in the league (with Hibbert and Larry Sanders, Duncan's first). Still needs to work a bit on getting through screens more cleanly , but I mean shit, the kid's 22 and is already elite defensively and getting to that point offensively. Kid's a superstar.

Crystallas
02-23-2013, 02:26 AM
I have Paul George as DPOTY right now(and have had him at #1 since mid-January).

Tapion
02-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Tim Duncan.............

ralph_i_el
02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Marc Gasol easily

He should, that's for sure.

But Ibaka will probably get it

Lord Leoshes
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Miami's defensive % is at .441 tied with BOS, & less then .001% away of tieing with GS, & SA for the 6th best defensive %.

& when it comes to Miami's differential in FG% it is at #1 at +5.238.

So you need to reassess your opinion on the Heats defensive. & expect it to only get better as the playoffs approach.