PDA

View Full Version : Bill Russell or Oscar Robertson career mix next?

CavaliersFTW
02-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Nearing completion on 2 projects right now

*Nate Thurmond highlights (one more revision)
*A Connie Hawkins mix

So what next... Finish and upload my first attempt at Bill Russell highlights? Or a start a revised Oscar Robertson mix (I took down my original Oscar video because I'm no longer pleased with it - found too much more footage that reveals abilities and is more entertaining that his first mix didn't have)

La Frescobaldi
02-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Nearing completion on 2 projects right now

*Nate Thurmond highlights (one more revision)
*A Connie Hawkins mix

So what next... Bill Russell highlights? Or a revised Oscar Robertson mix (I took down my original Oscar video because I'm no longer pleased with it - found a ton more footage)

ditch the scoring videos. what about defensive schemes from ANY PLAYER. virtually the only D highlights you ever see are rodman or gary payton

ProfessorMurder
02-22-2013, 11:12 PM
I'd like both, but a Bill Russell one would be my first choice. Are you adjusting the video speed at all? I know some of the older footage is off, either slowed or sped up.

fpliii
02-22-2013, 11:13 PM
My personal preference would be for Russell. If you can, include some footage with leaping exploits.

:cheers:

TylerOO
02-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Rudy Fernandez

CavaliersFTW
02-22-2013, 11:15 PM
ditch the scoring videos. what about defensive schemes from ANY PLAYER. virtually the only D highlights you ever see are rodman or gary payton

That's not a bad idea, I could do Gus Johnson, Nate Thurmond, and Jerry West w/o much effort just by chopping down the videos/content I already have found of theirs seeing as how I've done mixes for them already. All 3 of those guys were incredibly elite defenders that probably deserve their own defensive highlights

I would make a Bill Russell and Wilt defense once their own highlights are done. I'd rather get a *complete* both-ends-of-the-floor mix of both of them out first though.

La Frescobaldi
02-22-2013, 11:20 PM
That's not a bad idea, I could do Gus Johnson, Nate Thurmond, and Jerry West w/o much effort just by chopping down the videos/content I already have found of theirs seeing as how I've done mixes for them already. All 3 of those guys were incredibly elite defenders that probably deserve their own defensive highlights

I would make a Bill Russell and Wilt defense once their own highlights are done. I'd rather get a *complete* both-ends-of-the-floor mix of both of them out first though.
Well no question those are greats but there's others.

Havlicek and Cowens had some incredible defensive schemes. Bob Lanier especially early days did some amazing stuff. You could have the joke of all joke videos by comparing Kevin Durant and George Gervin defense - who is more pathetic? Although kd has gotten better lately they are both pretty much a running gag

Bill Walton defense would be great to see! And of course modern guys are ubiquitous but there's no D clips of anybody

CavaliersFTW
02-22-2013, 11:27 PM
I'd like both, but a Bill Russell one would be my first choice. Are you adjusting the video speed at all? I know some of the older footage is off, either slowed or sped up.
I do try to correct slow motion - I've gotten much much better at it now too - I've figured out all the "%'s" Winek Films used when they filmed in slow motion and it's becoming almost intuitive for me to see a clip and know exactly how fast it was filmed. I also try to enhance certain plays to appear as "bullet time" which is a technique used in modern highlights to enhance dramatic plays (clip starts at a normal speed, than very suddenly slows down to showcase only a specific move within a play). My latest Gus Johnson video showcases these things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYxh-Ljr5Sg

It's the best way I can come up with to present 60's and 70's players because the constant slow motion film like they liked back then is really out of trend, and by correcting and playing most of everything back in real-time speed you can fit more highlights into a mix and best see the natural athleticism of a player. It's especially important now since most people who will watch these highlights probably didn't know what those guys were capable of and if they don't see an ability or show of athleticism within the brief highlights they'll just assume the player wasn't capable of it.

CavaliersFTW
02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Well no question those are greats but there's others.

Havlicek and Cowens had some incredible defensive schemes. Bob Lanier especially early days did some amazing stuff. You could have the joke of all joke videos by comparing Kevin Durant and George Gervin defense - who is more pathetic? Although kd has gotten better lately they are both pretty much a running gag

Bill Walton defense would be great to see! And of course modern guys are ubiquitous but there's no D clips of anybody
Due to HDD storage reasons, my cutoff for storing and collecting stock footage is 1974. So if a player didn't have a significant portion of his/her career between 1960 and 1974 I probably won't have enough content of theirs to make anything - so no Gervin or Walton - I do have some of Cowens and Lanier though. I'm really trying to get the biggest names or most visually dynamic players of the 60's/early 70's out of the way first (save for Pete Maravich... who I think has adequate youtube exposure already). I like the idea of defensive highlights though - outside of the 3 I mentioned I will keep an open eye for players who stand out defensively that have an adequate amount of stock footage to create a mix

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-22-2013, 11:38 PM
I vote Russ. Get it, dantheman. :applause:

ProfessorMurder
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I do try to correct slow motion - I've gotten much much better at it now too - I've figured out all the "%'s" Winek Films used when they filmed in slow motion and it's becoming almost intuitive for me to see a clip and know exactly how fast it was filmed. I also try to enhance certain plays to appear as "bullet time" which is a technique used in modern highlights to enhance dramatic plays (clip starts at a normal speed, than very suddenly slows down to showcase only a specific move within a play). My latest Gus Johnson video showcases these things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYxh-Ljr5Sg

It's the best way I can come up with to present 60's and 70's players because the constant slow motion film like they liked back then is really out of trend, and by correcting and playing most of everything back in real-time speed you can fit more highlights into a mix and best see the natural athleticism of a player. It's especially important now since most people who will watch these highlights probably didn't know what those guys were capable of and if they don't see an ability or show of athleticism within the brief highlights they'll just assume the player wasn't capable of it.

Props for that man :cheers: That must take a good amount of work. It still looks a little off to my eyes (it'll never look perfect), but it's way better than you see in any other video for the older guys.

I hate mixes with editing effects like flashing, added film grain, or other shitty Final Cut/After Effects filters. Not a big fan of bullet time, but I'll forgive it because that's at least kind of interesting and doesn't affect the picture...

Keep it up!

jlip
02-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Russell easily. Haven't you already done a Big O video?

CavaliersFTW
02-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Props for that man :cheers: That must take a good amount of work. It still looks a little off to my eyes (it'll never look perfect), but it's way better than you see in any other video for the older guys.

I hate mixes with editing effects like flashing, added film grain, or other shitty Final Cut/After Effects filters. Not a big fan of bullet time, but I'll forgive it because that's at least kind of interesting and doesn't affect the picture...

Keep it up!
Probably the reason it looks off and will "never look right" is because most of it was filmed and designed to be played back as ~24fps film, where as all the modern footage we are spoiled with (even as far back as the 1980's) was recorded and designed to be played back at television broadcast speeds (30fps) which captures subtle movements particularly sporting events much better and smoother. I can't make film look like a broadcast, but I can assure you most if not all of what you see is at the correct playback speed (shot/game clock seconds are ticking down at the correct rate, etc) - There's nothing I can do to duplicate the smooth character of modern sports footage unless I come across a game back than that is in the fps state it was when broadcasted - There are very few clips back then at that speed.

ProfessorMurder
02-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Probably the reason it looks off and will "never look right" is because most of it was filmed and designed to be played back as ~24fps film, where as all the modern footage we are spoiled with (even as far back as the 1980's) was recorded and designed to be played back at television broadcast speeds (30fps) which captures subtle movements particularly sporting events much better and smoother. I can't make film look like a broadcast, but I can assure you most if not all of what you see is at the correct playback speed (shot/game clock seconds are ticking down at the correct rate, etc) - There's nothing I can do to duplicate the smooth character of modern sports footage unless I come across a game back than that is in the fps state it was when broadcasted - There are very few clips back then at that speed.

Preaching to the choir man, I was a media/film major in college.

It just sucks that we'll never be able to see the old stuff as it really existed.

gengiskhan
02-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Damn.

its one of those.

Bird or Big O

MJ said in his old interviews about real challenge facing a once in a lifetime talent like Big O, his strength & skills.

CavaliersFTW
03-01-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZmlLMkvdI

just a few teaser clips

PHILA
03-01-2013, 11:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZmlLMkvdI

just a few teaser clips

Where is the clip from 0:31 to 0:36 from? :eek:

CavaliersFTW
03-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Where is the clip from 0:31 to 0:36 from? :eek:
The 1956 Olympics

fpliii
03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Which years do you peg as his athletic prime?

L.Kizzle
03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Do you have any Maurice Stokes footage?

jongib369
02-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I think now's the time for the Oscar mix

:party:

Gotterdammerung
02-28-2016, 07:27 PM
CAVSFTW,
Is there any footage available of Game 6 of the 1970 Finals (http://www.twcsportsnet.com/articles/2015/05/06/historic-box-score-wilt-chamberlain-beats-knicks-may-6-1970), when Wilt scored 45 points and pulled down 27 boards? :confusedshrug:

dankok8
02-28-2016, 08:34 PM
For sure Bill Russell. There isn't enough footage of him out there at all so I am very interested to see more of him.

JimmyMcAdocious
02-28-2016, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't mind 70s stuff. Seems like the lost era of the NBA.

senelcoolidge
02-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Rick Barry, you have to do him. If you're doing the 70's it's Barry or Maravich. If you want to go for players that are kind of forgotten do a Artis Gilmore, Earl Monroe, Wes Unseld, Walt Frazier, George McGinnis (that would be interesting), Bob McAdoo, Havlicek, or Elvin Hayes.
There are so many players that you do mixes on instead of rehashing the same stuff over and over.

PHILA
02-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Is there any footage available of Game 6 of the 1970 Finals (http://www.twcsportsnet.com/articles/2015/05/06/historic-box-score-wilt-chamberlain-beats-knicks-may-6-1970), when Wilt scored 45 points and pulled down 27 boards?
There are some highlights, I don't know about full game footage though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QJQpUH-to&t=22m20s

Gotterdammerung
02-28-2016, 10:26 PM

This is the first time I've seen such footage. Thanks, PHILA!
:cheers:

LAZERUSS
02-29-2016, 01:54 AM

Nope, no full game footage.

In fact, there is no full game footage of any of Wilt's 271 40+ point games.

But thanks for sharing the highlight clip.

Helix
02-29-2016, 11:25 AM
I've got to wonder if that 6th game isn't hidden away in some vault somewhere because it WAS televised. I watched it. I remember Wilt had numerous dunks in that game.

pudman13
02-29-2016, 02:33 PM
I vote for Oscar, because of all of the great stars of that era, he's the one people seem to most underrate these days.

Riks
02-29-2016, 02:46 PM
This. I want a defense video of Bill Russell.