PDA

View Full Version : Insider Request:Is LeBron James an elite shooter?

arifgokcen
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Is LeBron James an elite shooter? by Tom Haberstroh.
Please if anyone has espn insider......

Hoiids
02-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Is LeBron James an elite shooter?
Updated: February 25, 2013, 12:05 PM ET
By Tom Haberstroh | ESPN Insider

It doesn't seem to compute.

LeBron James is shooting a career-high 56.7 percent from the floor this season. That number is mind-blowing as it is, but consider this: Most of James' shots have come on jumpers. And he's still shooting better than most guys who live in the paint.

Take a quick glance at the leaderboard and we find that James ranks eighth in field goal percentage this season among qualified players (minimum 300 attempts) alongside paint mavens such as Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard. James is the only wing player of the bunch. In fact, James has attempted more shots outside 10 feet than all of the other top-10 "shooters" combined, according to NBA.com's stats tool.

James is on an absolute tear these days and it's no coincidence that the Heat have won their past 11 games, crushing opponents by an average scoring margin of 12.8 points per game, with the Cavaliers being the defending champions' latest victim on Sunday.

But describing James' run as "hot" doesn't quite do it justice. During the winning streak that dates to Feb. 3, James is shooting 65.5 percent from the floor, 43.6 percent from 3-point range and 79.3 percent from the free throw line. (Overall this season, James is shooting 56.7 percent from the floor, 41 percent on 3s and 74.8 percent on free throws.)
And contrary to popular belief, James is not doing it all on dunks and layups. Because of his sheer physical dominance and endless highlight-reel throwdowns, it's easy to assume that James' run this season has been mostly a product of a merciless desire to attack the basket. But the reality paints a much different picture. It's time we acknowledged the following:

LeBron James now has one of the most lethal jumpers in the league.

Remember those rampant airballs from James' rookie season? Forget about it; same guy, different player. Now smack dab in the middle of his prime as a 28-year-old, James has become everything we wanted him to be. As he showcased in the playoffs last season, James both possesses and embraces a dependable post game where he uses both hands with ease.

And that jumper that plagued his game for so long? As crazy as it sounds, James has developed a jump shot that has been as deadly as those of Steve Novak, Stephen Curry and Kyle Korver.

According to Synergy Sports tracking, James has shot 92 jumpers of the catch-and-shoot variety this season, which is the closest thing we have to an in-game 3-point shooting contest. He's made 48.9 percent of those attempts. When we account for the extra value of a 3-point shot, we find that he's posted an effective field goal percentage of 68.5 percent on those shots.

How good is that? Only Spurs sharpshooter Danny Green has been more efficient on catch-and-shoots. Everyone else trails Green and James in that department.
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/5935/lebronchart.png
There's more. When we look at shots that have been defined as unguarded catch-and-shoots, James is shooting an insane 34-of-59, which is effectively 82.2 percent when we account for the 3-point shot. The average NBA player shoots about 65 percent at the rim. So in other words, giving James an open jumper this season has been more devastating than letting an NBA player take a layup.

It's true, catch-and-shoots represent just a small portion of the overall jumper repertoire. But even when we look beyond those types of set shots, James has been nothing short of amazing.

According to Synergy, 28 players have taken at least 400 jump shots this season. So in this sample, we're looking at the most prolific jump shooters on planet Earth -- Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Joe Johnson, Kobe Bryant and James Harden, etc.

Guess who ranks No. 1 in field goal percentage?

That's right, it's James. He's made 44.7 percent of all his jumpers, which equates to an effective field goal percentage of 52.8 percent. Going by effective field goal percentage, James trails only Ryan Anderson and J.J. Redick in this group.

But when it comes to straight conversion rate, no one's better. And get this: In 2004-05 -- the first recorded season in the Synergy database -- James ranked second-to-last in jump-shot field goal percentage among 57 players with at least 400 jumpers. He made only 34.8 percent of his tries back then; now it's up to a league-best 44.7 percent.
http://imageshack.us/a/img62/5410/lebronchart2.png
This isn't fair, not from a guy with Karl Malone's size and Chris Paul's vision. We've been so accustomed to watching highlight after highlight of James driving down the lane and destroying every player in his path that we've overlooked how automatic his jumper has been this season.

How has he done it?

It hasn't been with a shooting regimen in the offseason; he simply didn't have time because of the Olympics. When you ask James about his improved jump shot, he simply shrugs and says it's just a matter of repetition. Ray Allen, arguably the greatest 3-point shooter ever, has admitted that James has beaten him multiple times in post-practice shooting competitions this season.

Coach Erik Spoelstra contends that James has trimmed the fat in his shot selection. And this checks out; James has taken one fewer shot from outside 10 feet per game than he did last season and about two fewer shots than his typical diet in Cleveland. And anecdotally, there's been fewer "dribble it up and chuck it from 25 feet" shots from James these days.

But this might just be a natural progression. When James took the world by storm out of high school, we wondered what he might look like in his prime. Well, here it is, folks. James is registering 27.0 points, 8.1 rebounds and 7.1 assists per game on 56.7 percent shooting -- a stat line that has never been achieved in NBA history.

And he now wields one of the best jump shots in the game. We've never seen anything like this. So sit back and appreciate what he's doing because now more than ever, James is a shooting star.

mentallooser
02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Seems like it lately. Of course that could be due to surprise more than anything else. I still expect him to miss pretty much every jump shot.

AlphaWolf24
02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
I would say so....

His outside shot/3 point shot looks so much better then in 10'..

His elbow game also looks amzing this year....

He must have worked alot in the summer of 11'....and 12'

Gotta give him props...he made himself an elite shooter

:applause: :applause: :applause:

arifgokcen
02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks a lot hoiids repped

lebeast666
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Let's just say every jumper LeBron takes I feel its gonna go in and if its a miss then its kinda surprising. I'm almost wanting him to shoot it now instead of driving :confusedshrug:

Hoiids
02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks a lot hoiids repped

It was a good read

ripthekik
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
you don't need to read that, i also didn't. but i can tell you the answer: no.
the numbers currently are simply an illusion: from wide open shots, easy layups, and dunks. A huge chunk of heat's basket comes from fastbreaks. Therefore it's like looking at a center.. his % is supposed to be high. as for elite shooter? ha ha ha...

HardwoodLegend
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
the numbers currently are simply an illusion: from wide open shots, easy layups, and dunks. A huge chunk of heat's basket comes from fastbreaks. Therefore it's like looking at a center.. his % is supposed to be high. as for elite shooter? ha ha ha...

You need to read it.

Hoiids

Did you even glance at the article?

Zodiac
Lebron isn't even a top 50 shooter, he'a not close to a guy who can spot up and consistently knock down jumpers.

Maybe during this one hot streak he has but he's never done it consistently his entire career until this one stretch

Rysio
02-25-2013, 02:25 PM
let any clown play on the most stacked team of all time and give him 5-10 feet of space on every jumper and he'll be considered elite too.

Sarcastic
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Michael Jordan: "Force him to his left".

Dro
02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Exactly why people need to read before just saying stupid sh*t....This article is pretty hard to disprove...I gotta give this man his props...:bowdown:

Dro
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Lebron isn't even a top 50 shooter, he'a not close to a guy who can spot up and consistently knock down jumpers.

Maybe during this one hot streak he has but he's never done it consistently his entire career until this one stretch
Hot streak? He's been doing this entire year...did people even read the article?:confusedshrug:

He's not Steve Novak no...But apparently, he's a damn good jumpshooter...:confusedshrug:

crisoner
02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
My answer to this is this...

I;d love to have LeBron taking jumpers rather then taking it in to the hole every time.

mentallooser
02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
I gotta tell you I'm more impressed by his post game this year. He's improved in an area he was made fun of for before.

Pacers4ever
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM

What? Before this 11 game winning streak he was shooting over 42% from the trey and everyone was talking about how his jumper has improved. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. You got to see him use his post game much more in this hot streak if anything.

Pacers4ever
02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Hot streak? He's been doing this entire year...did people even read the article?:confusedshrug:

He's not Steve Novak no...But apparently, he's a damn good jumpshooter...:confusedshrug:
Welcome to ISH.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Why is the minimum 90 attempts (for the catch-and-shoot) when everybody on that list have at least 100+, and some w/ even 200+? Talk about arbitrary. :oldlol:

arifgokcen
02-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Dude good trolling but you are still behind Mr.Jabbar.Try harder

Vertical-24
02-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I would say so....

His outside shot/3 point shot looks so much better then in 10'..

His elbow game also looks amzing this year....

He must have worked alot in the summer of 11'....and 12'

Gotta give him props...he made himself an elite shooter

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I agree. LeBron has really stepped up these past two seasons. This current season he's having is unreal. Can't wait until he comes to LA in 2014 :applause:

Whoah10115
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
He's been a good shooter for a while. Now he's very very good. I don't know if he's a great shooter, and he isn't elite, but he's very very good, at worst.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-25-2013, 03:03 PM
He's better shooting a jumper going to his left, worse on the drive though.

Sarcastic
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
He's better shooting a jumper going to his left, worse on the drive though.

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2544

He shoots more going to his left. His percentages are better on the right.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2544

He shoots more going to his left. His percentages are better on the right.
By that chart midrange right is 39.56% midrange left is 40.44%

Clifton
02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Of course that could be due to surprise more than anything else. I still expect him to miss pretty much every jump shot.
This.

It will fall to around 40% by the end of the season. Remember when OJ Mayo and Kidd were 50% 3pt shooters? A great string of games does not change the fact that Lebron is not a very good jumpshooter. When K. Irving or Durant go up for a jumpshot you expect it to go in. When Lebron goes up you expect it to miss. Lebron's misses are side-iron and Kyrie's are in-and-out. That means something.

jlip
02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I guess we can say goodbye to the "Just wait until Lebron's athleticism fails" argument now.

raid09
02-25-2013, 03:21 PM
I guess we can say goodbye to the "Just wait until Lebron's athleticism fails" argument now.

Hilarious how all the anti-LeBron agenda is crumbling, isn't it?

Kobe stans resorting to "didn't read the article or the thread but..LEBRON SUX!!"

Dave3
02-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Funny sentence in that article, he makes catch and shoot 3s at a better percentage than an average NBA player making a layup.

That's insane.

Sarcastic
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
By that chart midrange right is 39.56% midrange left is 40.44%

I am seeing 43.28% on the right (29 of 67), and 39.09% on the left (43 of 110).

Are you including the shots from the post as well? Yes he is better on the left side post by a large margin.

steve
02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
This.

It will fall to around 40% by the end of the season. Remember when OJ Mayo and Kidd were 50% 3pt shooters? A great string of games does not change the fact that Lebron is not a very good jumpshooter. When K. Irving or Durant go up for a jumpshot you expect it to go in. When Lebron goes up you expect it to miss. Lebron's misses are side-iron and Kyrie's are in-and-out. That means something.

You mean where it's at right now? His worst shooting month from 3 this season was right around 38%. Perception does not equal reality.

tazb
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
If LeBron develops a consistent jumper (which he is slowly every year) then he is really gonna be unguardable and I'll feel sorry for the rest of the league. As the article said, Karl Malone size, Magic Johnson's court vision, and now Michael Jordan's scoring ability. :eek: Sounds like My Player in 2k :lol not even fair.

pauk
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Yes he is.......... its only that FT accuracy which is not elite shooter quality and speaking of FT accuracy, thats the only "weakness" in his game, its the only non-elite thing at this moment, 75% is not so uber bad... but the way he is shooting those jumpshots this season from anywhere on the court you would expect him to have very high FT%.... Its kindof like Dale Ellis, he was a sick shooter, a pure shooter... but shot anything from 66% FT to 71% FT to 79% FT and so on......

The way he masters everything else in his game you would expect a higher FT% anyways, its kindof lagging behind the rest of everything.

AlphaWolf24
02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I was looking at some of his older videos...( even his HS years)...to see what has changed.

His upper body shooting technique/hand placement /rythme has pretty much stayed the same.

The main thing I noticed was his footplacement/footwork/gather...obviously he worked alot on his Footwork....

That paid off during "in game" scenarios....giving the confidence to be a great shooter.

wasn't always the case.....but many players who have Top shelf athleticism have the same problem.....

Lebron's mental approach has changed.

ILLsmak
02-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Funny sentence in that article, he makes catch and shoot 3s at a better percentage than an average NBA player making a layup.

That's insane.

Maybe not, though. One would think a wide open catch and shoot 3 would be as easy to shoot as a defended lay up. Paint D in the NBA is insane, how many guys can really finish around the rim? Very few.

-Smak

Pacers4ever
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Maybe not, though. One would think a wide open catch and shoot 3 would be as easy to shoot as a defended lay up. Paint D in the NBA is insane, how many guys can really finish around the rim? Very few.

-Smak
I'll go out on a limb and say the average nba player shoots a better % around the rim/layup than a catch a shoot 3.

Money 23
02-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Is LeBron James an elite shooter? by Tom Haberstroh
I'd actually be inclined to say he is now.

jrong
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
ESPN has a new piece on LeBron. Today must be a day that ends in "y."

Tking714
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
SO many ESPN stats all over

upside24
02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
LeBron's jumper has been almost automatic this year. It's a noticable improvement from previous seasons.

He has been truly incredible this season.:bowdown:

SpaceJammeR
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
i would say prolly in 2 years he will be elite.

The Mamba
02-25-2013, 06:53 PM
I was looking at some of his older videos...( even his HS years)...to see what has changed.

His upper body shooting technique/hand placement /rythme has pretty much stayed the same.

The main thing I noticed was his footplacement/footwork/gather...obviously he worked alot on his Footwork....

That paid off during "in game" scenarios....giving the confidence to be a great shooter.

wasn't always the case.....but many players who have Top shelf athleticism have the same problem.....

Lebron's mental approach has changed.
Excellent breakdown.

Bandito
02-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes he is.......... its only that FT accuracy which is not elite shooter quality and speaking of FT accuracy, thats the only "weakness" in his game, its the only non-elite thing at this moment, 75% is not so uber bad... but the way he is shooting those jumpshots this season from anywhere on the court you would expect him to have very high FT%.... Its kindof like Dale Ellis, he was a sick shooter, a pure shooter... but shot anything from 66% FT to 71% FT to 79% FT and so on......

The way he masters everything else in his game you would expect a higher FT% anyways, its kindof lagging behind the rest of everything.
I never got how he can be a good three point shooter but his FT are still average? That is just so weird to me.

arifgokcen
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
I never got how he can be a good three point shooter but his FT are still average? That is just so weird to me.
Not just to you dude.

Its his form.He is leaning everytime he shoots a free throw.Probably because of the muscle mass he is carrying around he cant shoot that good.

Money 23
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Not when you factor in sports PSYCHOLOGY, something LeStans hate to acknowledge it's existence.

More pressure, all alone on the line, eyes on you ... no defender, but different set of pressure. Something LeBron isn't good with dealing with. Gut check. It has little to do with skill.

Bandito
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Not when you factor in sports PSYCHOLOGY, something LeStans hate to acknowledge it's existence.

More pressure, all alone on the line, eyes on you ... no defender, but different set of pressure. Something LeBron isn't good with dealing with. Gut check. It has little to do with skill.
Oh of course that makes sense. He tends to go all Hasheem Thabeet when the game's on the line sometimes because of the same reason. All eyes are on him.

MMM
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
lebron is not an elite shooter nor will he be one in his career. That might sound ridiculous but i believe good shooting is something you have to come in the league with to reach an elite level. Bron has made great improvements but he will never be the natural shooter that guys like Curry and Allen were coming into the league.

tmacattack33
02-25-2013, 08:14 PM

LOL, maybe you shoulda read it then because both of your points were covered in the article.

1. "His numbers are simply an llusion from wide open jump shots"...nope, they looked at open jump shot stats for everyone, and even then, Lebron's percentage looks pretty good

2. "His numbers are simply an llusion from dunks and lay-ups"...nope, in the article, they are using just jump shot stats from Lebron and everyone else, layups and dunks are not included.

secund2nun
02-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Butt hurt at it's finest.

45-15-5
40-18-9
28-10-7 finals performance
2012 champ

Wa wa wa :roll:

AlonzoGOAT
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Too his credit he's been so much better since the beginning of the heat winning streak/start of this month (80%). But lebron has always been a average free throw shooter and 3 point shooter. He just began shooting at a good % this year. Thank god the nerves didn't get to him in game 2 in the finals at free throw line or we would be screwed. But yeah he is by no means an elite shooter yet nor has he ever had a silky stroke.

Money 23
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Butt hurt at it's finest.

45-15-5
40-18-9
30-10-7 finals performance
2012 champ

Wa wa wa :roll:
The hell are you talking about dude?

I gave him all the credit in the world for those performances.

pauk
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM

FT is the easiest, most comfortable, most peaceful shot you will have in a basketball game... stop it...

Money 23
02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
FT is the easiest, most comfortable, most peaceful shot you will have in a basketball game... stop it...
Not necessarily. I can tell you have never played. In a certain light it has more pressure.

If it's so easy, explain to me why LeBron is such a below average shooter from the line, compared to his abilities in the flow of the game?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Not necessarily. I can tell you have never played. In a certain light it has more pressure.

If it's so easy, explain to me why LeBron is such a below average shooter from the line, compared to his abilities in the flow of the game?
Some players are just like that. Like Chandler Parsons. He has always been a bad ft shooter. Go look at his high school stats.

Clifton
02-25-2013, 10:32 PM
No way. In theory, sure.

Free throws ain't free. You gotta earn each and every one. I only hit 2/3 of my FTs and would much rather take a contested pullup from the FT-extended or a baseline fadeaway with the game on the line than have to take 2 FTs. It's much easier to have all your mind on the present moment and none on the pressure with a man in front of you. The game is very slow for me in crunchtime, but every crunchtime FT I take is agony. I imagine I'm not alone there.

Pacers4ever
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM

His free throw shooting was much better than his jumpers and overall shooting in the finals I'll tell you that.

DatAsh
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
No way. In theory, sure.

Free throws ain't free. You gotta earn each and every one. I only hit 2/3 of my FTs and would much rather take a contested pullup from the FT-extended or a baseline fadeaway with the game on the line than have to take 2 FTs. It's much easier to have all your mind on the present moment and none on the pressure with a man in front of you. The game is very slow for me in crunchtime, but every crunchtime FT I take is agony. I imagine I'm not alone there.

I'd imagine late game free throw situations are among the most pressure laden moments in basketball.

pauk
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM

Dale Ellis was one of the best pure shooters of all time, he shot 40% from 3PT land for his career and in most of his seasons was shooting around 70-78% from FT line....

There are many many many many pure shooters like that who shot around 75% like Lebron....

You think THAT is weird? Thats nothing, that accuracy is not bad at all..... But have you heard about Bruce Bowen? He was a fantastic jumpshooter and guess what he shot from FT line? 57%............. One season he even shot 44% from 3PT land and 40% from FT line(!!!)

Some players are just better JUMPshooters, it has sometimes to do with how much you practice jumpshooting compared to freethrow shooting... and other times its just a change of shooting technique/habits trying to improve your FT accuracy but in essence it just does it worse... and other times its just a weird phenomenon, some players also might have a shooting technique that is more suited for jumpshooting trajectory/diagonally/angle wise... combination of everything mentioned... who knows... science... :P

Money 23
02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
His free throw shooting was much better than his jumpers and overall shooting in the finals I'll tell you that.
Stop pretending to be a Pacers fan, all you talk about is LeBron.

Pacers4ever
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Stop pretending to be a Pacers fan, all you talk about is LeBron.
Just speaking the truth and not pretending like I know what a players feel mentally at a game :confusedshrug:

pauk
02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
@Money23

But it has NOTHING to do with pressure. Not after you take 1000s of ingame attempts to no avail of any significant improved change in accuracy from season to season......... its not like you sit there and take FTs only when the game is on the god damn line........... you seriously think somebody who after he drops historic performances, historic games, historic CLUTCH performances on the biggest stages chokes at only the FT line every single time because that player only then goes "there is so much pressure, to quiet for my taste, look at all those insulting signs from the fans :cry: "

Stop it....

alleykat
02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
i agree it's sumthing about his free throws that is off tho. maybe it's just the change of pace or the pressure, but it seems like he is thinking way to much on them...

TheCorporation
02-26-2013, 12:43 AM
LeBron James has done it again. He's found another facet of his game to improve upon, and improve upon it well. The guy keeps improving and peaking.

:rockon:

Those stats are pretty amazing, to say the least.

NumberSix
02-26-2013, 12:48 AM
LeBron seriously has to be on PEDs. There's no other explanation.

Micku
02-26-2013, 01:03 AM
He was shooting better in the midrange in 2011. But current LBJ is a better overall shooter because of his shot selection.

I don't understand how he could be an elite mid range shooter, a elite 3pt shooter, and a slightly below average FT percentage.

chazzy
02-26-2013, 01:09 AM
@Money23

But it has NOTHING to do with pressure. Not after you take 1000s of ingame attempts to no avail of any significant improved change in accuracy from season to season......... its not like you sit there and take FTs only when the game is on the god damn line........... you seriously think somebody who after he drops historic performances, historic games, historic CLUTCH performances on the biggest stages chokes at only the FT line every single time because that player only then goes "there is so much pressure, to quiet for my taste, look at all those insulting signs from the fans :cry: "

Stop it....
Not necessarily in reference to Lebron, but pressure definitely does effect FTs. Dwight's a prime example. He hit's 80% of them in practice.. look at the drop off

j3lademaster
02-26-2013, 01:35 AM

If it's so easy, explain to me why LeBron is such a below average shooter from the line, compared to his abilities in the flow of the game?I've always had that same problem. I can hit mid j's and 3's all day in the flow of the game. I like taking a dribble left, gathering then shooting or catching in stride gathering and shooting. Free throws are different in that regard.

Also, like any stoppage of play it just hurts your rhythmn like when a coach calls a timeout to cool off the other team's hot shooter.

I really don't buy that mental weakness stuff about Bron anymore after last year's playoffs and his new let the game come to him style. He looks really relaxed out there.

j3lademaster
02-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Not necessarily in reference to Lebron, but pressure definitely does effect FTs. Dwight's a prime example. He hit's 80% of them in practice.. look at the drop offYeah, I think it's mental in Dwight's case as well.

Money 23
02-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Just speaking the truth and not pretending like I know what a players feel mentally at a game :confusedshrug:
Stop it, you're not a Pacers fan. Fooling no one, probably another psycho pauk alternate if I was a betting man.

And I don't pretend to know either. It's speculation, a theory, a probable one too considering he's a good shooter everywhere else. Why would he struggle so much at the line?

I don't see you coming up with answers like myself that seem plausible. Just excuses, deflecting and defending. Thus, a LeBron stan disguised as a "Pacers fan"

"#1 Pacers fan" yet never posting in Indiana Pacer threads, like legit Pacers fans such as Dro, etc.

Same skit pauk has always been on. From sh0wtime (the Laker / Magic super fan who only talks LeBron) to Nash (the Steve Nash fan who only talked LeBron, and never actively roots for Nash's actual teams) to pauk himself (the Reggie Miller fan) who only talks about LeBron.

che guevara
02-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Not necessarily in reference to Lebron, but pressure definitely does effect FTs. Dwight's a prime example. He hit's 80% of them in practice.. look at the drop off
Every bad player hits them at a high percentage in practice, it was the same case with Shaq and Ben Wallace. Pretty much anybody can make a high percentage when they get into a rhythm. I watched Brendan Haywood warm up before a game in '10-'11 when he shot 36% at the line, and he made 15+ consecutively. For most of these guys, it's not pressure, it's just that they're shitty shooters. 80% in practice, when you're standing in the same spot doing the same thing over and over, is not a good number.

Another example, Karl Malone would not leave practice until he made 20+ FTs in a row, something he never did once in regulation NBA games.

inclinerator
02-26-2013, 02:03 AM
another thing is sometimes during game the players form is slightly different from their practice form, it throws it all off

che guevara
02-26-2013, 02:18 AM
another thing is sometimes during game the players form is slightly different from their practice form, it throws it all off
Yeah. The consistent theme with these awful FT shooters (with very rare exceptions, like Deandre Jordan) is that their mechanics are completely broken. Dwight, Shaq, Ben Wallace, and Haywood all look like complete idiots when they're shooting FTs, their mechanics are downright atrocious and it makes you wonder if they've ever even watched film of themselves at the line (Dwight can't possibly watch himself shoot a FT and think his mechanics are even close to acceptable). You can make FTs in practice with bad mechanics when you're doing the same thing over and over, but when it's in a game and you can't practice and get into a rhythm, the bad mechanics matter.

For a guy like Lebron, while his mechanics aren't broken, they definitely aren't good at the FT line. He does lots of unnecessary leaning, has extra, wasted motion in his rhythm, has too big of a wind-up (starts with the ball at his left knee), pretty much uses only his upper body (his FT has no legs at all), and has his elbow out, all things that aren't a problem on his jumpshot.

plowking
02-26-2013, 02:37 AM
For a guy like Lebron, while his mechanics aren't broken, they definitely aren't good at the FT line. He does lots of unnecessary leaning, has extra, wasted motion in his rhythm, has too big of a wind-up (starts with the ball at his left knee), pretty much uses only his upper body (his FT has no legs at all), and has his elbow out, all things that aren't a problem on his jumpshot.

Ray Allen doesn't use his legs either, and is very stiff throughout his whole routine. Some things are just a problem for certain players, and muscle memory doesn't carry over as well for certain things. Just the way it is.

KOBE143
02-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Is LeBron James an elite shooter?

LOL

:roll: :roll: :roll: