PDA

View Full Version : Paul George: T-Mac lite or the next Al Harrington / Josh Smith

Money 23
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm going to test the basketball acumen of the posters here. People here have raging basketball man wood for him. And I've seen it before in his types. I get why, but if you have enough knowledge of the sport ... you'd realize he hasn't been particularly impressive.

People claiming he will be superstar status very soon. Really? Superstars even when they are uber young and filled with potential, IE young Kobe, T-Mac, Jermaine O'Neal, KG all showed flashes of brilliance they would later become accustomed to on the floor.

IMO on Paul George? I haven't seen a legit reason for the hype.

Because everything I've seen, is a Johnathan Bender / Al Harrington / Josh Smith type in the making. Long, athletic, versatile.

Not particularly smart, and totally filled with potential. That "potential" will linger around his name for many years before we realize what he actually is as a player.

A very good player, albeit a glorified role player. Someone not even close to superstar status. To me his hype has been un-earned, over zealous, and rather alarming from so called "hardcore fans" of the NBA.

atljonesbro
02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm going to test the basketball acumen of the posters here. People here have raging basketball man wood for him. And I've seen it before in his types. I get why, but if you have enough knowledge of the sport ... you'd realize he hasn't been particularly impressive.

People claiming he will be superstar status very soon. Really? Superstars even when they are uber young and filled with potential, IE young Kobe, T-Mac, Jermaine O'Neal, KG all showed flashes of brilliance they would later become accustomed to on the floor.

Because everything I've seen, is a Johnathan Bender / Al Harrington / Josh Smith type in the making. Long, athletic, versatile.

Not particularly smart, and totally filled with potential. That "potential" will linger around his name for many years before we realize what he actually is as a player.

A very good player, albeit a glorified role player. Someone not even close to superstar status. To me his hype has been un-earned, over zealous, and rather alarming from so called "hardcore fans" of the NBA.
Are you putting Josh Smith on their level :facepalm Why is this forum filled with so many casual fans

Money 23
02-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Are you putting Josh Smith on their level :facepalm Why is this forum filled with so many casual fans
Josh Smith isn't anything special, either. Take off your Hawks hat, it's suffocating your brain.

Qwyjibo
02-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Why are Josh Smith and Al Harrington on the same "level"? Harrington never came close to being as good as Smith was at his best.

Whoah10115
02-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Josh Smith is great.

Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender are not similar to Josh Smith. Besides that they're not nearly as good, they're not similar kinds of players.

He's not gonna be any of these guys.

TheMarkMadsen
02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm not seein the al Harrington comparison at all?

2 different positions & Harrington had no D, George is a good defensive player and is a wing player.

Money 23
02-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Why are Josh Smith and Al Harrington on the same "level"? Harrington never came close to being as good as Smith was at his best.
Josh Smith has had some second defensive team selections? Big deal. Statistically, they are similar. In some cases, Harrington was even better.

Clifton
02-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Honestly, if you're right about George, I like that better than so-called "superstars." There's almost nothing I like better than a really long SF who plays great man and team defense, takes good shots and hits them, finishes plays, does what he's told, moves the ball decently, and is otherwise dumb and uncreative as a rock. Unless you have first-rate creating/passing ability, first-rate leadership, or first-rate O or D in the paint, I'll take a Paul George or Loul Deng over you. Be Lebron James or GTFO. I like guys who the Spurs would want. They're the kinds of guys you'll often find on championship rosters, while guys like Steve Nash and Tracy McGrady and Allen Iverson aren't.

atljonesbro
02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Josh Smith has had some second defensive team selections? Big deal. Statistically, they are similar. In some cases, Harrington was even better.
So in other words you're a casual fan, gotcha.

ralph_i_el
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Because he's already one of the best defensive wings in the league and he's a very good three point shooter. He's just a guy who has a lot of impact on both sides of the ball and he's still getting better. He's not a natural scorer like Kobe or Tmac but nobody is calling him a future hall of famer right now and he's already the most important player on a very good team.

irondarts
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Not everything is about points per game. Josh Smith is a superior player to Al Harrington in almost every aspect.

QuebecBaller
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Paul George = a better Danny Granger (or what Granger was supposed to become)

FreezingTsmoove
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Josh Smith isn't anything special, either. Take off your Hawks hat, it's suffocating your brain.

He's clutch, he defends very well, he runs the fastbreak, passes well, rebounds well, and then gets you 18 points a game what more do you want? If he was on the Knicks he'd be a god on this board

Eric Cartman
02-25-2013, 11:37 PM
He has superstar potential. Back me up InspiredLebowski.

tikay0
02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Paul George = a better Danny Granger (or what Granger was supposed to become)

/THREAD.

He's not the new Scottie/T-mac. He's nowhere near that level.

AngelEyes
02-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Because he's already one of the best defensive wings in the league and he's a very good three point shooter. He's just a guy who has a lot of impact on both sides of the ball and he's still getting better. He's not a natural scorer like Kobe or Tmac but nobody is calling him a future hall of famer right now but he's already the most important player on a very good team.

This is a good comment

PTstyle272
02-26-2013, 02:00 AM
He's only 22 and has made huge strides in his game over the past three years.

Kid is special

Money 23
02-26-2013, 02:02 AM
He's only 22 and has made huge strides in his game over the past three years.

Kid is special
Special? No.

He's 22, this isn't a 18 - 21 year old we're talking about here. He should be breaking out big time if he's legit superstar potential.

Superstars can carry their team. Paul George isn't that guy. Terrible comparison by OP.

I see him being more like Rudy Gay than anything else.

j3lademaster
02-26-2013, 02:04 AM
I've yet to see him just take over a game like 22 yo Kobe, Tmac, AI, etc. have; but he's one of those bigger impact that his stats suggest(outside of his passing, didn't even realize he was averaging 4 apg watching him thought it was less) type guys... and his stats are pretty good.

PTstyle272
02-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Special? No.

He's 22, this isn't a 18 - 21 year old we're talking about here. He should be breaking out big time if he's legit superstar potential.

We're not talking about 18-21, we're talking 22. lol gtfo with that. Your telling me all great players have to start dominating by age 22? You don't think there's been any that jumped when they were 23 or 24?

Money 23
02-26-2013, 02:25 AM
We're not talking about 18-21, we're talking 22. lol gtfo with that. Your telling me all great players have to start dominating by age 22? You don't think there's been any that jumped when they were 23 or 24?
People are saying he has SUPERSTAR potential.

There are 5x superstars in the league: LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, and CP3

Paul George hasn't even showed GLIMPSES by 22 of being able to take over games like these fellas.

He's pretty good, don't get me wrong. But he isn't totally special, and from a skill perspective he hasn't shown anything that makes you wet your pants with potential.

veilside23
02-26-2013, 02:59 AM
paul george is a better danny granger

to me he is like chandler parsons when it comes to all around impact...

j3lademaster
02-26-2013, 03:21 AM
People are saying he has SUPERSTAR potential.

There are 5x superstars in the league: LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, and CP3

Paul George hasn't even showed GLIMPSES by 22 of being able to take over games like these fellas.

He's pretty good, don't get me wrong. But he isn't totally special, and from a skill perspective he hasn't shown anything that makes you wet your pants with potential.If that's your standard of a superstar then no, George has shown me nothing close to having me believe he'd be in the same tier as one of those guys. But what do you think Paul's ceiling actually is? I think he can be a nice 22/8/4 Scottie Pippen type guy without quite the point forward package.

Let's be real though. Taking into account George's length, athleticism, decent touch and coordination it isn't crazy to see why people believe he has that potential. He lacks the instincts, shot creation and assertiveness I see in superstars in the making (see Kyrie for an example of superstar-in-the-making mentality).

RoundMoundOfReb
02-26-2013, 03:24 AM
To me he's a longer/better Iguodala.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 03:38 AM
He's improved every year and just made his first all star team as the best player on a contending team..

Op quit hating nobody is acting like he's he second coming of Mj or Lebron :wtf:

Lebron23
02-26-2013, 04:22 AM

This

Tking714
02-26-2013, 04:41 AM
Yea ok. He's already better than Josh Smith. He's Joe Johnson caliber already. Watch him more. I bet you catch him play like once a month.

Bigsmoke
02-26-2013, 07:02 AM
sounds about right

Mr Exlax
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
If you've only watched him play this season then I can understand why you would not be impressed. I've watched him since his rookie season. His game has grown by miles already. He's still working hard to get better. He's the leader on his team and they're in second place in the conference. Just keep watching. He's nowhere near his ceiling or his prime.

ralph_i_el
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
As long as he continues to do the things that win basketball games (D, 3's, passing, rebounds) he'll be great for years to come.

I must admit that comes with a caveat. Some of these guys (here's looking at you Rudy Gay) start to buy into their own hype as "Stars" and stop doing some of the things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

So if PG24 starts getting lazy on D and chucking long 2's then obviously my opinion changes.

Clippersfan86
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
In Paul's defense... I don't remember him having the hype of these superstars either coming out of college or now. So it's unfair to blast him for not being a superstar just because a few people on ISH say he is or w/e.

I agree with the idea of a tier 2 star in the Scottie Pippen mold (although won't be quite that good) which is no laughing matter considering the guy was the 9th or 10th pick and didn't have big hype. I'm actually to this day really pissed we didn't draft him. Paul George said close to the draft that he was a Clippers fan growing up in California and wanted to come here but Neil Olshey fu**ed us by drafting deer in headlights Aminu.

I didn't know much about the draft class but from reading/watching analysis it was clear to me George>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aminu. Combine that with him being a hometown Clippers fan and it should have been a no brainer. I still wonder what a core of Griffin+CP3+Paul George would have been like.

Anyways point is Paul George while sometimes over hyped... is a very very good player who will end up being a tier two star (perennial all star, never "superstar" which is still great.

ralph_i_el
02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
In Paul's defense... I don't remember him having the hype of these superstars either coming out of college or now. So it's unfair to blast him for not being a superstar just because a few people on ISH say he is or w/e.

I agree with the idea of a tier 2 star in the Scottie Pippen mold (although won't be quite that good) which is no laughing matter considering the guy was the 9th or 10th pick and didn't have big hype. I'm actually to this day really pissed we didn't draft him. Paul George said close to the draft that he was a Clippers fan growing up in California and wanted to come here but Neil Olshey fu**ed us by drafting deer in headlights Aminu.

I didn't know much about the draft class but from reading/watching analysis it was clear to me George>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aminu. Combine that with him being a hometown Clippers fan and it should have been a no brainer. I still wonder what a core of Griffin+CP3+Paul George would have been like.

Anyways point is Paul George while sometimes over hyped... is a very very good player who will end up being a tier two star (perennial all star, never "superstar" which is still great.

that would be brutal to play against. PG getting those open shots that caron butler gets :eek:

PP34Deuce
02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
He's a stud. He's not as smooth and fluid as TMac though.

pegasus
02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
I've yet to see him just take over a game like 22 yo Kobe, Tmac, AI, etc. have; but he's one of those bigger impact that his stats suggest(outside of his passing, didn't even realize he was averaging 4 apg watching him thought it was less) type guys... and his stats are pretty good.

He recently took over against the Heat and ripped them a new one.

SilkkTheShocker
02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
He recently took over against the Heat and ripped them a new one.

I have never seen this f.aggot post something that didn't have to do with LeBron or the Heat

ralph_i_el
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
I have never seen this f.aggot post something that didn't have to do with LeBron or the Heat

and you pretty much just talk out your ass about the cavs and get negged all day :confusedshrug: but we're all friends here no judging.

He's right too PG24 and the pacers seem to have miami's number this year

Whoah10115
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Paul George was a Clippers fan? Not a Lakers fan?

:roll:

ZaaaaaH
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
He's a stud. He's not as smooth and fluid as TMac though.

BINGO !

No Doubt Paul is a Stud and will be EZ All-Star Times to come but to be a Superstar Like Kobe, T-Mac on the Wing you need the Fluidity on your Footwork Jump shot and Handles.

T-Mac didnt show this till his 3rd year and Paul is on a good pace.

imdaman99
02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
lol hes already better than harrington and bender ever were. and the dude is still so young, so you know he's only gonna get better. already a better shooter than josh smith, lets see how he can play once granger gets back. if he can co-exist with another all-star caliber talent, im also not ready to hail him as the next great one like everyone already is.

mentallooser
02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Let's let him be Paul George for awhile. He is growing as a player and hopefully tonight we can see him an Granger shoot out with Golden State. To be fair though, I wouldn't try to shoot out with that team if I'm the Pacers.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
another thing. PG at 22 has more all star appearances than Smith, Harrington & Bender combined.

and it was a coaches pick.

gasolina
02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Put it this way. Which other player would you have playing the three other than Lebron, Durant, and Carmelo?

Smoke117
02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
While he's already an great defensive player I do think he has been overrated much of the season. His offense still has a ways to go and he especially needs to start getting contact at the rim as 3.2fta's on 15 shot attempts isn't going to cut it. I'll wait to see what he can do with Granger in the line up taking some of that pressure off of him on the perimeter. Either way he's probably already the 2nd best defensive player at sf after Lebron, rebounds well, and is becoming a better play maker. I'm just not sold on him ever being an efficient all star scorer, but with what he does bring to the table I don't think he needs to be to have a really nice career especially with what he brings to the table with his defense and rebounding.

Whoah10115
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Yea... he talked about it pre draft. You know it's not rare to be a fan of the underdog right?

I'm laughing because you picked Aminu. That's just hilarious.

Whoah10115
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
another thing. PG at 22 has more all star appearances than Smith, Harrington & Bender combined.

and it was a coaches pick.

With Smith getting overlooked, that doesn't necessarily sound like a good thing.

Getting overlooked last year...if I cared I wouldn't get over it.

Put it this way. Which other player would you have playing the three other than Lebron, Durant, and Carmelo?

Pierce, still...but he's older, so if we're looking past this year (maybe next) that's another thing.

Ken_Masters
02-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Spot on. I was going to say the same thing.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
With Smith getting overlooked, that doesn't necessarily sound like a good thing.

Getting overlooked last year...if I cared I wouldn't get over it.

Pierce, still...but he's older, so if we're looking past this year (maybe next) that's another thing.

Huh? Coaches could have picked smith but instead chose George

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Trust me.. I still am baffled by it. Not sure WTF Neil was thinking. George seemed more NBA ready AND like he had more potential so no clue why we didn't pick George or Hayward who were both available and were the two picks following Aminu. We were going for a SF and I thought we were going George or Hayward so when Stern called out Aminu my jaw dropped.

Now it just so happens those are the two SF's I lust after the most for the Clippers :mad: :mad: .

At the end of the day it's irrelevant for the Clippers, George obviously would have had to of been included in the New Orleans deal

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
No he wouldn't have, Bledsoe would have. New Orleans was demanding Bledsoe and needed a PG but we basically stuck to our guns and they took Aminu. Bledsoe+Kaman+Gordon+ the Minny pick would have easily gotten it done still. Clippers would have a core of George/Gordon+Griffin+CP3+DJ right now.

George is the better prospect between him and Bledsoe, surely New Orleans would had coveted George. They would have wanted him included in the deal.

Tking714
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
George always puts the clamps on Melo too

RRR3
02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Special? No.

Superstars can carry their team. Paul George isn't that guy. Terrible comparison by OP.
I see him being more like Rudy Gay than anything else.
Um...you're the OP, Swoosh...

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Um...you're the OP, Swoosh...

:biggums:

Whoah10115
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Huh? Coaches could have picked smith but instead chose George

They should have picked Smith tho...not even over George, but he's been the best PF in the East so far.

Last year was disgraceful.

George is the better prospect between him and Bledsoe, surely New Orleans would had coveted George. They would have wanted him included in the deal.

Bledsoe is a better prospect than Aminu and they were willing to take Aminu.

TheMarkMadsen
05-02-2013, 01:08 AM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4pd00Csom1r3278yo1_500.gif

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4pd00Csom1r3278yo1_500.gif

Repped.

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm going to test the basketball acumen of the posters here.

People claiming he will be superstar status very soon. Really?

Because everything I've seen, is a Johnathan Bender / Al Harrington type

That "potential" will linger around his name for many years before we realize what he actually is as a player.

A very good player, albeit a glorified role player..

:applause:

Dro
11-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Ca$H
11-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Paul George has improved tremendously every damn year. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm @ people who want to make proclamations about young players before giving them a chance to develop. IMO you have to give a player five full seasons before proclaiming what caliber player they are.

Shade8780
11-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Dro
11-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Repped :applause:

b1imtf
11-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Repped.
:lol

scm5
11-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Paul George is like a hybrid of Durant and Pippen.

Not as good a shooter as Durant, not as good a defender as Pippen, but has the qualities of both.

bizil
11-08-2013, 04:09 PM
George's upside is T-Mac material. He's a better defender than Mac at this point. But Mac was a more versatile offensive player capable of playing PG-SG-SF at high ass levels. And Mac was a more dominant scorer too. But a peak T-Mac only takes a backseat to MJ and Kobe for SG's in my opinion. He was that DAMN GOOD! So if u think about it to be the next T Mac, he has to be close to that level of player. But he has SICK ability and could live up to that or get close in a MJ-Kobe kind of sense.

CJ Mustard
11-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Shows how much you know. :oldlol: @ acting like you're some superior basketball authority only to immediately follow it up with an embarrassingly incorrect prediction.

Pacquiao
11-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Paul George is not a great offfensive player. If opposing teams set traps, double teams, he cannot create his own shot properly. I don't think he has that quick release or smooth fade away shots if defended properly like TMAC and other great players had. If he had the same supporting cast like TMAC had in Orlando, Paul would shoot 25% from the field.

bizil
11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Paul George is like a hybrid of Durant and Pippen.

Not as good a shooter as Durant, not as good a defender as Pippen, but has the qualities of both.

That's an interesting take on the situation and right on the money. George show flashes of both guys, but isn't on their level yet in those elements. I actually think the question with George is will he become a true alpha dog like Durant or TMac. Or will he develop into more of a Pippen kind of player which is of course still great by the way. I see his ultimate upside more in the mold of T-Mac. Not saying he will be as good, but in the sense of being great scorer and great all around player all in one. But if he reaches that, who knows.

Meticode
11-08-2013, 09:47 PM
How about this?

Paul George is the next...

Paul George?

HomieWeMajor
11-08-2013, 09:58 PM
How about this?

Paul George?
Paul George is the next NBA player to get racially sterotyped by SamuraiSwish

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 09:59 PM
How about this?

Paul George?

I like this comparison, because really I think George has a chance to be a one of a kind player.

He's long and lengthy like a T Mac, however his defense is already elite and will only get better.. And his offense at this point is more developed than even I thought was possible. He's improved leaps and bounds offensively.

Also, something I've noticed from the few Pacers games I've seen this year is George is looking for offense every time he touches the ball and I LOVE THIS. It's what I wish KD would do more offensively.

You'll notice when George catches the ball now he almost always will immediately dip his shoulder and go into a triple threat position, stopping the ball for a split second to analyze the defense to see if there is a play he can make. Some people may not like it but its something Kobes been doing for years, it something only truly elite offensive players can do or else the coach will be mad at them for stopping the ball, but this Kobe esque attitude of looking to be aggressive every trip down the floor, mixed with already high level of maturity on the court are ingridients for a deadly impactful offensive player.

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I like this comparison, because really I think George has a chance to be a one of a kind player.

He's long and lengthy like a T Mac, however his defense is already elite and will only get better.. And his offense at this point is more developed than even I thought was possible. He's improved leaps and bounds offensively.

Also, something I've noticed from the few Pacers games I've seen this year is George is looking for offense every time he touches the ball and I LOVE THIS. It's what I wish KD would do more offensively.

You'll notice when George catches the ball now he almost always will immediately dip his shoulder and go into a triple threat position, stopping the ball for a split second to analyze the defense to see if there is a play he can make. Some people may not like it but its something Kobes been doing for years, it something only truly elite offensive players can do or else the coach will be mad at them for stopping the ball, but this Kobe esque attitude of looking to be aggressive every trip down the floor, mixed with already high level of maturity on the court are ingridients for a deadly impactful offensive player.

Damn this post rustled someone's jimmies da fuq?

TheMarkMadsen
02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Swish, you have such a good eye for talent

kNicKz
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I lost a couple brain cells reading OP

I understand the point but the comparisons are :biggums:

Shade8780
02-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Wiggins is the next Paul George. Paul George is the next Paul George.

SamuraiSWISH
02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Swish, you have such a good eye for talent
You're getting off on this, aren't you? Bumped this thread countless times now. Do you have a man crush on me or something?

:oldlol:

I've freely admitted PG's improved, and is a very good player. He still hasn't earned superstar status. That's overzealous. I asked people if they saw T-Mac lite, or Josh Smith. Both are good or great players. Even in the first post I said he was good.

He's had half of season of elite play, in a league dwindling with elite talent, particularly his own conference. Also, his numbers have been steadily coming back down to earth the past several weeks.

22 / 4 / 6 isn't a superstar. Kobe stans were pumping him up because a) he's from LA b) he's admitted Kobe's his favorite player, thus the #24. That's why you guys are riding this guy's jock so hard.

ralph_i_el
02-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Honestly, if you're right about George, I like that better than so-called "superstars." There's almost nothing I like better than a really long SF who plays great man and team defense, takes good shots and hits them, finishes plays, does what he's told, moves the ball decently, and is otherwise dumb and uncreative as a rock. Unless you have first-rate creating/passing ability, first-rate leadership, or first-rate O or D in the paint, I'll take a Paul George or Loul Deng over you. Be Lebron James or GTFO. I like guys who the Spurs would want. They're the kinds of guys you'll often find on championship rosters, while guys like Steve Nash and Tracy McGrady and Allen Iverson aren't.