PDA

View Full Version : Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

Hermit
02-26-2013, 03:10 AM
every few years the same video comes out with the same story.
All produced by the NBA, not MJ or Nike.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkOb_Swu5ui6Qp0btL-eICdrk7xYWtWKgdQlTuqVcwqXhi6FsydA

country black kid from wilmington, nc blah blah blah
played little league baseball throughout child hood blah blah blah
beats older brother in basketball blah blah blah
decides to try out in HS basketball but gets cut blah blah blah
angry, works harder, makes team next year blah blah blah
was good after all, coach made a mistake blah blah blah

atljonesbro
02-26-2013, 03:14 AM
If the media wanted to they could make Rudy Gay as loved as some of the other superstars.

tikay0
02-26-2013, 03:43 AM
He earned every piece of attention he got. Am I wrong?

He is arguably the greatest athlete of all time. He was literally doing things, people thought were impossible. Look up some of his acrobatic layups. To this day, players aren't even coming close to his layups. Kobe/Rose have had a few like his, but MJ had the craziest hang time you'll ever see from an athlete.

MJ
ALI
GRETZKY

Bobcats2013
02-26-2013, 03:44 AM
If the media wanted to they could make Rudy Gay as loved as some of the other superstars.

If he signs with the Warriors his jersey would be a massive hit.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-26-2013, 03:45 AM

He is arguably the greatest athlete of all time. He was literally doing things, people thought were impossible. Look up some of his acrobatic layups.

MJ
ALI
GRETZKY
Ali is not the greatest boxer of all time. Sugar Ray Robinson is.

tikay0
02-26-2013, 03:46 AM

I know, but what he meant to boxing surpassed Ray Robinson.

Worded that wrong. I love Ray Rob, so I'm not even going to argue it.

MJ
ALI/RAY ROB
GRETZKY

brandonislegend
02-26-2013, 03:56 AM

He is arguably the greatest athlete of all time. He was literally doing things, people thought were impossible. Look up some of his acrobatic layups. To this day, players aren't even coming close to his layups. Kobe/Rose have had a few like his, but MJ had the craziest hang time you'll ever see from an athlete.

MJ
ALI
GRETZKY

You forgot Tiger Woods

La Frescobaldi
02-26-2013, 05:48 AM
You forgot Tiger Woods
?? why him especially? If any sport has benefited from technology it's golf.

If you want greatest golfers you got to go with guys like Sam Snead or Bobby Jones. They played golf with a freaking hickory stick.

The Genius
02-26-2013, 06:18 AM

True but Ali transcended his sport. SRR could be the greatest ever boxer but he didn't reach Ali's heights outside of it.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-26-2013, 06:27 AM
True but Ali transcended his sport. SRR could be the greatest ever boxer but he didn't reach Ali's heights outside of it.
Idrc about anything other than what they did outside the sport. SRR was a scumbag, this is true though.

Budadiiii
02-26-2013, 06:38 AM
What a moronic thread.

Kobe 4 The Win
02-26-2013, 06:43 AM
True. Jordan had a new "biography" video out every couple of years. When you add the Nike and Gatorade propaganda machines it's hard not to become an icon. MJ deserved every bit of the publicity but it just goes to show you that the NBA promotes who they choose to promote.

Kobe Bryant, another exceptionally talentented superstar has zero. Guys like Kobe and Lebron should have several of these things. They would sell like crazy. NBA makes money and promotes their biggest stars. It's a win-win. I don't see why this hasn't happened.

La Frescobaldi
02-26-2013, 06:58 AM
What a moronic thread.

Actually it is't. Some of my old hoops friends got so sick of the non-stop jordan extravaganza that they just stopped watching basketball. At its height it was less about hoops than some kind of cult of personality.

Anything gets tiring when you get too much of it.

I will admit even for myself a diehard hoops guy, that Shaq was a very welcome change from the same pork chops & apple sauce day in, day out for like 12 years. Jordan made the NBA world famous all right, but Shaq made it a lot more fun and to this day I prefer watching Shaq

{but I freely admit -
1. I was a Lakers fan since Wilt got traded & him & Logo were tearing it up... and
2 I always did like power game, centers and forwards over guards even tho my all-time favorite player is Clyde Frazier}

livingby3's
02-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Let's just say the marketability of MJ goes way beyond the states. The NBA can't achieve that with any other legends, and not any current players. Not Kobe, not Lebron, not Durant. and their targeted audience can't only be from the USA, or basketball fans. Kobe dare I say is not even worth a third of Jordans name in terms of popularity.

La Frescobaldi
02-26-2013, 07:02 AM
True. Jordan had a new "biography" video out every couple of years. When you add the Nike and Gatorade propaganda machines it's hard not to become an icon. MJ deserved every bit of the publicity but it just goes to show you that the NBA promotes who they choose to promote.

Kobe Bryant, another exceptionally talentented superstar has zero. Guys like Kobe and Lebron should have several of these things. They would sell like crazy. NBA makes money and promotes their biggest stars. It's a win-win. I don't see why this hasn't happened.

Why is because David Stern was very creative in the 80s. He's an old dishrag in the 10s.
I think the FBI investigation took all the air out of Stern, he's never been the same since NBA referee went to prison for shaving points.

But Kobe & LeBron do not have the pure star power jordan had. Dude was like a Klieg light.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ox-SJOsXiEs/ShC3aXcVsZI/AAAAAAAAANo/bCuLDIynQJ0/s400/cannes+med+klieg+lights.jpg

Roundball_Rock
02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Name on American athlete--in any sport--who has had 25% as much marketing $$$$ invested in and media ink spilled on him--as Jordan. Gatorade, Hanes, and Nike still use him in their advertising. The guy hasn't done anything since 1998 and STILL is mentioned on ESPN every day. :lol

Leviathon1121
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Name on American athlete--in any sport--who has had 25% as much marketing $$$$ invested in and media ink spilled on him--as Jordan. Gatorade, Hanes, and Nike still use him in their advertising. The guy hasn't done anything since 1998 and STILL is mentioned on ESPN every day. :lol

It just...burns your soul doesn't it?

guy
02-26-2013, 03:30 PM

What the **** are you talking about? Kobe had Sprite, McDonalds, and Adidas commercials and had his own VIDEO GAME when he couldn't even crack the starting 5.

Euroleague
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
True, but Rubio, Kobe, and LeBron come close.

tikay0
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Let's just say the marketability of MJ goes way beyond the states. The NBA can't achieve that with any other legends, and not any current players. Not Kobe, not Lebron, not Durant. and their targeted audience can't only be from the USA, or basketball fans. Kobe dare I say is not even worth a third of Jordans name in terms of popularity.

EXACTLY. The NBA can't just choose to market a certain player, and BAM! he's a superstar.

No, he has to be the real deal, and then some. Sooner or later, people will catch on. EVERYONE and their momma knew Jordan was a once in a lifetime type player/athlete. There was absolutely no denying that.

tikay0
02-26-2013, 03:35 PM

Take that Bulls avatar off, because you clearly have an agenda.

You could put that same amount of money into Lebron, and people would just treat him like Lil Wayne.

"He's on every commercial!" "He's getting over saturated now!" "I'm sooooo tired of seeing Lebron's face!!!!"

Not the case with Jordan.

Look at Blake Griffin. His commercials pop up during EVER NBA game. People aren't getting brainwashed into thinking he's a God. People probably want to kill him by now.

Calabis
02-26-2013, 04:26 PM
What the **** are you talking about? Kobe had Sprite, McDonalds, and Adidas commercials and had his own VIDEO GAME when he couldn't even crack the starting 5.

Kobe jockers too young to remember that crap...he was marketed big time:roll: Then camd a night in Colorado and the 2004 finals debacle, Shaq and Phil killing him in media or books

Kobe 4 The Win
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM

My point was in reference to NBA created biography style videos.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Yeah expect they couldn't.

FKAri
02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
True. Just look at Tim Duncan's promotion vs Kobe Bryant's. How many non basketball fans have even heard of Tim Duncan?

Round Mound
02-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Tis True. I Had To Listen To All The Crap Hype and The Over Promotion of MJ for Years :rolleyes: . I Hated It Cause They Where Leaving Other Great Superstars Out. But Guess What? Jordan Did Deserve The Hype He Got Looking Back He Just Dominated More Than Any Player of His Generation.

gengiskhan
02-26-2013, 11:14 PM
every few years the same video comes out with the same story.
All produced by the NBA, not MJ or Nike.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkOb_Swu5ui6Qp0btL-eICdrk7xYWtWKgdQlTuqVcwqXhi6FsydA

country black kid from wilmington, nc blah blah blah
played little league baseball throughout child hood blah blah blah
beats older brother in basketball blah blah blah
decides to try out in HS basketball but gets cut blah blah blah
angry, works harder, makes team next year blah blah blah
was good after all, coach made a mistake blah blah blah

Crap like the above quote is SHOVED DOWN the ISH'ers throats every day. FYI....

18 yrs old MJ DID NOT miss the Game winner in 1982 to give Legendary Coach Dean Smith & Legendary UNC Tar heels their FIRST NCAA TITLE Ever!

19 - 20 Yrs old MJ DID NOT miss being ACC College Player of the Year.

21 Yrs old MJ DID NOT miss beating NO. 1 Pick Hakeem "the Dream" for NBA Rookie of the Year.

22 Yrs old MJ DID NOT miss destroying Boston Celtics famed "team" defense by dropping 49 pts & 63 pts in post-season despite broken leg

23 Yrs old MJ DID NOT miss out on scoring 3000+ pts in Single NBA Season after Wilt Chamberlin, only player to do so.

24 Yrs old MJ DID NOT miss out on winning NBA MVP + NBA Def Player of the Yr in same year, FIRST NBA Pro Ever to do so & still the "ONLY 'PERIMETER' PLAYER EVER" to win so far.

25 yrs old MJ DID NOT miss out on averaging 32.5 / 8 / 8 & still lead the league in SPG.

27 yrs old MJ DID NOT miss out on beating 5 x NBA Champion & Runner-up MVP GOAT Magic & LAL after going down 0-1 @ home & winning Bulls Franchise's FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP EVER.

NOW!

The only player SHOVED DOWN everyone's throat who has never won NCAA championship nor "rookie of the year" nor LAL franchises' first "Championship" nor LAL's "MOST DOMINANT" player is........Mr. Kobe "the ultimate fake" Bean Bryant! (biggest wannaBE ever)

G-train
02-26-2013, 11:15 PM

MJ
ALI
GRETZKY

95% of the world has no idea who Gretzky is.

02-27-2013, 09:27 PM
True, Jordan got and still gets a lot of hype, but he deserved it.

And can we really blame the NBA for hyping and selling Jordan as much as they possibly could? Remember, Jordan came into the league in 1984. The NBA was still emerging from the infamous Tape Delay Era and even with Bird and Magic just hitting their prime, they needed and coveted another elite superstar who could transcend basketball. Dr. J was now aging, and Olajuwon, Barkley, Stockton, and Drexler were just great rookies. Jordan even as a rookie himself was clearly something special. It also helped the league that Jordan had hooked up with another rising star called Nike which was beginning to teach the NBA how to market their best players, thus nullifying the decade-old jeremiad that the NBA was too black to ever be as popular as the NFL or Major League Baseball.

And who among us does not get nostalgic for our salad days?

f0und
02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
yes jordan was marketed to hell. but you know what made jordan so great? he was always better than the hype. other players have come and gone on the same type of hype train, but none of them could be sustained because they didnt always deliver. jordan always did and then some.

Soundwave
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Jordan generally always lived up to the hype though. Guy rarely even had a bad regular season game because he knew for some fan that might be the only chance they get to see him.

If it was as easy as just whipping up some TV ads and promoting a player, the NBA and Nike and McDonalds would've had "made" several players like Jordan.

Why not "make" Derrick Rose as popular as Jordan? Or Carmelo Anthony, he plays in the biggest media market in the world. I'm sure David Stern would love to. But he can't and he knows it.

You think they haven't tried? They'd love to have that.

If you were famous in the 80s/90s too, generally speaking you were *really* famous. None of this Kim Kardashain, "I made a Youtube video", "I'm famous for no reason" crap.

Michael Jackson, Princess Diana, Michael Jordan, Arnold Schwarzenneger, Madonna ... THAT is famous. Not half the wanna be celebrities of today.

tikay0
02-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Jordan generally always lived up to the hype though. Guy rarely even had a bad regular season game because he knew for some fan that might be the only chance they get to see him.

If it was as easy as just whipping up some TV ads and promoting a player, the NBA and Nike and McDonalds would've had "made" several players like Jordan.

Why not "make" Derrick Rose as popular as Jordan? Or Carmelo Anthony, he plays in the biggest media market in the world. I'm sure David Stern would love to. But he can't and he knows it.

You think they haven't tried? They'd love to have that.

If you were famous in the 80s/90s too, generally speaking you were *really* famous. None of this Kim Kardashain, "I made a Youtube video", "I'm famous for no reason" crap.

Michael Jackson, Princess Diana, Michael Jordan, Arnold Schwarzenneger, Madonna ... THAT is famous. Not half the wanna be celebrities of today.

Youtube/viral video/internet ERA. ANYONE can get famous.

Money 23
02-27-2013, 09:51 PM
LMAO @ fans forgetting "Kobe Bryan Courtside" for N64 and Gamecube. LOL @ forgetting the McDonals, Sprite, and Nutella promotions.

bagelred
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson.....

We need Keith Van Horn back. :rant

gengiskhan
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
yes jordan was marketed to hell. but you know what made jordan so great? he was always better than the hype. other players have come and gone on the same type of hype train, but none of them could be sustained because they didnt always deliver. jordan always did and then some.

Those two BOLD statements are FACTS not opinions btw.

This is the reason why current great NBA players crew of LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Durant etc etc CANNOT even sell 50% of what "JUMP MAN LOGO" & "BRAND JORDAN" sells despite MJ's career long dead and buried.

Jordan was always better than the hype.

so people still buy into that.

guy
02-27-2013, 09:59 PM
My point was in reference to NBA created biography style videos.

You're joking right? The reason they don't create those videos anymore is cause technology has changed. Those type of biography videos aren't as valuable to people when we have the internet, NBATV, and multiple ESPN channels. They didn't just make those videos back then for Jordan, but for everyone.

Money 23
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
You're joking right? The reason they don't create those videos anymore is cause technology has changed. Those type of biography videos aren't as valuable to people when we have the internet, NBATV, and multiple ESPN channels. They didn't just make those videos back then for Jordan, but for everyone.
Exactly. Youtube videos made those extinct.

The last one I remember them making was in 2002 for Allen Iverson. Right before the internet boom of the early 2000s.

NumberSix
02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
This!

As if anyone is gonna call some fcuking 1-800 number to order bio/highlight tapes for $19.99 when you can just go to youtube to watch highlights of a game that isn't even over yet.

Soundwave
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, Anfernee Hardaway, and LeBron James all had massive marketing campaigns behind them.

Shaq had probably the biggest though. I remember when he first came to the Orlando Magic you could not turn on the TV without seeing a Shaq Pepsi or Reebok ad, it was everywhere.

He was in movies, had his own rap album, etc. lol

Charles Barkley had a ton of TV commercials too, but about '93 I think Nike was pushing him harder than Jordan.

La Frescobaldi
02-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, Anfernee Hardaway, and LeBron James all had massive marketing campaigns behind them.

Shaq had probably the biggest though. I remember when he first came to the Orlando Magic you could not turn on the TV without seeing a Shaq Pepsi or Reebok ad, it was everywhere.

He was in movies, had his own rap album, etc. lol

Charles Barkley had a ton of TV commercials too, but about '93 I think Nike was pushing him harder than Jordan.

Still my favorite Shaq commercial!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwb-ighjXZ8

NumberSix
02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Kobe and LeBron probably had the most unearned media hype/promotion in NBA history.

Collie
02-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Nobody in sports history, except maybe Ali and Babe Ruth, had the combination of charisma, talent, drive to succeed, storyline and mystique MJ had.

I mean, winning 3 rings, retiring, coming back and winning 3 more with a championship winning shot? That's the stuff of storybook tales and sports movies. The guy also had a sort of majesty to him that guys like LBJ and Kobe lack. He was like the Beatles visiting a country when he played in another arena. The Bulls games weren't just basketball games, they were EVENTS which people didn't want to miss. Not even the Lakers at their 00's peak had that kind of following.

I remember watching CNN in 1998 when he retired. It was even bigger than most international news stories, even bigger than Pope Benedict's resignation.

Plus he backed up every hype.

That's why he's still talked about today, and why we keep on looking for the next MJ. Even if we get a guy someday down the line who's better than he is, it might be too difficult for him to eclipse MJ because of those factors.

LeBird
02-28-2013, 02:33 AM
I agree with the OP. It was a perfect storm though - an unearthly talented player, whose playing style demanded attention, a weak era for him to dominate, and a marketing campaign that wouldn't quit.

Apart from it grating to live through, it was bad for basketball because it elevated Jordan to a level where he simply is not. Not by any objective standard. Yet, here, in this thread, we have someone to compare him to Gretzky. Even if you think Jordan is the GOAT...it is debatable...unlike Gretzky who dominated his sport to where there are basically no arguments.

Asukal
02-28-2013, 02:37 AM
I agree with the OP. It was a perfect storm though - an unearthly talented player, whose playing style demanded attention, a weak era for him to dominate, and a marketing campaign that wouldn't quit.

Apart from it grating to live through, it was bad for basketball because it elevated Jordan to a level where he simply is not. Not by any objective standard. Yet, here, in this thread, we have someone to compare him to Gretzky. Even if you think Jordan is the GOAT...it is debatable...unlike Gretzky who dominated his sport to where there are basically no arguments.

:biggums: :facepalm :roll:

LeBird
02-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Your retort was eloquent, well done.

Asukal
02-28-2013, 03:37 AM
Your retort was eloquent, well done.

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Bandito
02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Jeez gengiskhan your hate for Kobe knows no bounds. Did he owe you money or something? Why the hate?

Yao Ming's Foot
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
If Jordan looked like Pippen, Kareem would be the undisputed GOAT.

TheMan
02-28-2013, 02:01 PM

This is what happens when foreigners try to talk basketball:facepalm

DJ Leon Smith
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM

nh

gengiskhan
02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Jeez gengiskhan your hate for Kobe knows no bounds. Did he owe you money or something? Why the hate?

Because the only guy shoved down America's throat is Kobe Bryant. Not even Lebron.

Kobe Bryant is literally called the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan & yet he has 1 season MVP to show for it. AI has 1 MVP, Derrick Rose has 1 MVP etc etc.

How is Kobe a 2nd coming of MJ when he is not even the face of his own franchise & also he COLLECTED rings thanks to Shaq.

& he is already put in Top 10 GOAT. WHICH HE IS DEFINITELY NOT! no matter how you look at it. Stats, post-season performances etc etc.

Kobe is all-time great but NOT Top 10 GOAT.

Yet, NBA ESPN etc etc sold Kobe successfully to modern day NBA fanboys.

Hence, my hatred towards Kobe.

Borderlands
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Promotion of Jordan WAS shoved in America's throats.

In fact, I think it has endangered the lives of our athletic youth by placing unrealistic goals on them. THe rise of hip hop culture is another effect it had. People are now getting murdered over a pair of sneakers. Jordan popularized a sport and made kids across the nation play basketball but are our youth healthier then they were 40 years ago? The answer is no. Obesity rates are at there highest levels.

Sarcastic
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
The only ones who initially promoted Jordan was Nike. During the mid 1980s, the NBA did very little to promote Jordan, and even went so far to stop some of the things he was doing. They banned his sneakers at first. They didn't like his gold chains that he used to wear. When he first entered the league, the NBA was still heavily promoting Bird and Magic. It wasn't till about 1988 or 1989 when the NBA started to feature him more. Before that, he was known as a pure chucker, who couldn't win, and only cared about his stats. He wasn't the Chosen One from the moment he entered the NBA. He worked hard for it.

Knoe Itawl
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
The only ones who initially promoted Jordan was Nike. During the mid 1980s, the NBA did very little to promote Jordan, and even went so far to stop some of the things he was doing. They banned his sneakers at first. They didn't like his gold chains that he used to wear. When he first entered the league, the NBA was still heavily promoting Bird and Magic. It wasn't till about 1988 or 1989 when the NBA started to feature him more. Before that, he was known as a pure chucker, who couldn't win, and only cared about his stats. He wasn't the Chosen One from the moment he entered the NBA. He worked hard for it.

All true. he certainly didn't come into the league with the kind of promotion Bryant and Lebron got without playing a day. Although I will say that I remember a news feature with Brokaw talking about how much of a sensation he was in like 1987.

Also, it's funny to me how some people are either too legitmately dense or acting dense in not understanding that it IS possible for someone to be very hyped and yet earn and deserve every bit of that hype.

It's an extremely rare occassion when both of those things coincide, but Jordan fit that mold.

Therefore, SO WHAT if he was heavily promoted? His entertainment and substance factor was off the charts, so he was worth it and more. I know some Jordan haters hate that but fact is from casual fans to seasoned followers of the game to the pros themselves, Jordan lived up to it. It's only a handful of detractors who somehow act as if the fact that he was heavily promoted in some way made him overrated.

ihoopallday
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
I want to be like Mike. :D

guy
03-01-2013, 10:35 AM

:oldlol: And let me guess, if Jordan looked like Pippen and Pippen looked like Jordan then Pippen would be considered GOAT and Jordan would be considered the sidekick? :oldlol:

Yao Ming's Foot
03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
:oldlol: And let me guess, if Jordan looked like Pippen and Pippen looked like Jordan then Pippen would be considered GOAT and Jordan would be considered the sidekick? :oldlol:

No but much would much more would be made about Jordan never winning without Pippen, Pippen taking the tougher defensive assignments, Pippen distributing the ball more, Pippen being a bad call away from the Finals without Jordan, Pippen missing out on even more championships due to Jordan's little league dreams. :confusedshrug:

Leviathon1121
03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
No but much would much more would be made about Jordan never winning without Pippen, Pippen taking the tougher defensive assignments, Pippen distributing the ball more, Pippen being a bad call away from the Finals without Jordan, Pippen missing out on even more championships due to Jordan's little league dreams. :confusedshrug:

Look how mad this guy is :roll:

Yao Ming's Foot
03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Look how mad this guy is :roll:

Why would I be mad about simple psychology observed in countless studies?

The economics of good looks
http://www.economist.com/node/21526782

TheMan
03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Promotion of Jordan WAS shoved in America's throats.

In fact, I think it has endangered the lives of our athletic youth by placing unrealistic goals on them. THe rise of hip hop culture is another effect it had. People are now getting murdered over a pair of sneakers. Jordan popularized a sport and made kids across the nation play basketball but are our youth healthier then they were 40 years ago? The answer is no. Obesity rates are at there highest levels.
wtf, NSIS, how is that Jordan's fault?:facepalm
You do realize that doctors say the main cause is a sedentary lifestyle because of the internet and video games, right?

This thread if full of butthurt:oldlol:

TheMan
03-01-2013, 12:19 PM

This cat gets wet dreams of MJ apparently...you think MJ is a fine looking dude, fakkit?:oldlol:

Yao Ming's Foot
03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
This cat gets wet dreams of MJ apparently...you think MJ is a fine looking dude, fakkit?:oldlol:

That's quite a projection there buddy. I think Jordan is more attractive by society's standards than Pippen. I am sexually attracted to women. Specifically, your mother. Does it make you uncomfortable for you to recognize Jordan's looks play a role in your idol worship of him?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Again, Jordan was marketed because he was the best. Anyone could have been marketed - and many were, including MJ. He won awards because of his skill and stats, it had nothing to do with marketing or "promotion".

TheMan
03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
That's quite a projection there buddy. I think Jordan is more attractive by society's standards than Pippen. I am sexually attracted to women. Specifically, your mother. Does it make you uncomfortable for you to recognize Jordan's looks play a role in your idol worship of him?
I dare you to find a post where I mention MJ's looks. You brought up the looks angle in your previous post you fakkit.

The reason MJ is what he is has to do with the way he matched the hype and how he delivered time and again, not because he was some Nubian sex god like how you obviously think he was. YOU brought up that link about beautiful people and success, not I you homo.

That 's why you hate him and love to denigrate him, because he makes you uncomfortable in your homo erotic views of him:lol

BUSTED! Get outta the closet!!

guy
03-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Oh so idiots would lie, overexaggerate, and overstate things about the Jordan/Pippen duo even more then they already do? I may actually agree with you on that.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
I dare you to find a post where I mention MJ's looks. You brought up the looks angle in your previous post you fakkit.

The reason MJ is what he is has to do with the way he matched the hype and how he delivered time and again, not because he was some Nubian sex god like how you obviously think he was. YOU brought up that link about beautiful people and success, not I you homo.

That 's why you hate him and love to denigrate him, because he makes you uncomfortable in your homo erotic views of him:lol

ie. into the mind of a Kobe stalker ... :oldlol:

tontoz
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Dumb thread. Lebron was "The King" and being promoted on ESPN when he was in high school. Jordan was relatively unknown until he hit the shot that won a NCAA title.

In the pros Bird/Magic dominated the press in Jordan's early years. Jordan also took a lot of heat in the press for being too selfish, gambling, etc.

OP mad

Yao Ming's Foot
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM

You just mentioned said he was fine and mentioned wet dreams about him. You continue to talk about him sexually. The topic is about marketing a celebrity image and your mind is stuck on sex. The lady doth protest too much methinks.

"Beauty is naturally rewarded in jobs where physical attractiveness would seem to matter, such as prostitution, entertainment, customer service and so on. But it also yields rewards in unexpected fields. Homely NFL quarterbacks earn less than their comelier counterparts, despite identical yards passed and years in the league"

TheMan
03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
ie. into the mind of a Kobe stalker ... :oldlol:
:lol This Yao Ming fool brought out the sex god angle out of the blue and he trying to lay it on me:oldlol:

I loved Jordan because of his basketball prowess, had noting to do with how fvckable he was according to Yao Ming's Foot:roll: I guess he has some homo feelings for Kobe, too:facepalm

TheMan
03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
You just mentioned said he was fine and mentioned wet dreams about him. You continue to talk about him sexually. The topic is about marketing a celebrity image and your mind is stuck on sex. The lady doth protest too much methinks.

"Beauty is naturally rewarded in jobs where physical attractiveness would seem to matter, such as prostitution, entertainment, customer service and so on. But it also yields rewards in unexpected fields. Homely NFL quarterbacks earn less than their comelier counterparts, despite identical yards passed and years in the league"
Niggeh, nobody was talking about MJ's looks until you chimed in with your very first post...nice try but you ain't getting out of it.

It's obvious you think MJ was hot since you first mentioned it, *******

Yao Ming's Foot
03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
:lol This fool brought out the sex god angle out of the blue and he trying to lay it on me:oldlol:

I loved Jordan because of his basketball prowess, had noting to do with how fvckable he was according to Yao Ming's Foot:roll: I guess he has some homo feelings for Kobe, too:facepalm

You must have a very high opinion of Scottie Pippen's looks if by mentioning that someone is more attractive than him he must be a "sex god". "fine" and a "Nubian sex god". :oldlol:

An average looking male is better looking than Scottie Pippen.

TheMan
03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
You must have a very high opinion of Scottie Pippen's looks if by mentioning that someone is more attractive than him he must be a "sex god". "fine" and a "Nubian sex god". :oldlol:

An average looking male is better looking than Scottie Pippen.
Yet I have a Pippen avi since I could give two shits if he was fine or ugly, he was a straight up baller. You on the other hand have the attractive Jordan as your avi even though you suppossed to dislike him...

That's ok, ISH accepts all lifestyles:applause:

Yao Ming's Foot
03-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Yet I have a Pippen avi since I could give two shits if he was fine or ugly, he was a straight up baller. You on the other hand have the attractive Jordan as your avi even though you suppossed to dislike him...

That's ok, ISH accepts all lifestyles:applause:

Beauty is the eye of the beholder. I'm glad to see even Pippen has fans who appreciate and vigorously defend his looks.

If I say the minimum wage worker is better off than the homeless man that doesn't mean I think the minimum wage worker is a Bill Gates success. :confusedshrug:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Here's what YMF puts on before logging in to ISH:

http://s14.postimage.org/49yldg9wh/fatalw.jpg

tontoz
03-01-2013, 01:13 PM
A dumb thread is getting dumber. :facepalm

The Iron Fist
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
What other legend had the luxury of the proper timing with TV and marketing that Jordan did?

No one.

Leviathon1121
03-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Everyone knows you are furious about Jordan's success. Stay mad brah. :lol

winwin
03-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Muhammad Ali Was a Rebel. Michael Jordan Is a Brand Name

Fall 1999
The Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University

In celebrating Jordan as a hero, are we merely worshipping capitalism?

By Michael Crowley

Michael Jordan

winwin
03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Keeping His Distance From Social Issues

Despite his ever-growing wealth and influence, Jordan has never shown much interest in shaping the world that lies at his feet. He carefully dodged any political issue that might have jeopardized his family-friendly image. When asked in 1992 about the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, for instance, Jordan lamely replied:

Lebron23
03-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Shut up Winwin. Joe Louis was a real American hero because he fought in World War II while Ali is a draft dodger. Louis would also beat Ali in a head to head match up. The Brown Bomber is the Greatest Heavyweight Boxer of all time.

TheMan
03-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Yo WinWin, MJ was a.basketball player, not the pope. That's what I don't get, make role models out of inspirational figures like Ghandi, the Dalai Lama or Mandela. Not some dude who gets paid millions to play a sport:facepalm

That article was lame hating, MJ has flaws like everybody but we didn't nominate him as Pope. He's a fvcking basketballer player and will fvck around with different women, it's what they do :lol

Oh and that last sentence is a real doozy, "winning isn't everything", yeah, I bet the media and fans would be real understanding if LBJ never won a ring :facepalm:

Rasheed1
03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Win Win's article makes a good point about jordan. He was a great athlete, but he doesnt compare as personality. In fact he has a pretty poor personality. DGMW, he is the goat on the court, but he surely doesnt measure up to Ali or Some of the other greats in other sports.

I know for black people, it used to be a responsibility and an honor for celebrities to also be community activists and people who actually stood for something..

Not so much anymore..

Legends66NBA7
03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Yo WinWin, MJ was a.basketball player, not the pope. That's what I don't get, make role models out of inspirational figures like Ghandi, the Dalai Lama or Mandela. Not some dude who gets paid millions to play a sport:facepalm

That article was lame hating, MJ has flaws like everybody but we didn't nominate him as Pope. He's a fvcking basketballer player and will fvck around with different women, it's what they do :lol

I agree that athletes should not be role models and someone of more importance or people close to younger audience (parents, teachers, guardians, etc...) should be... regarding the pope claim or high entiry line...

There have been certain Michael Jordan fanatics who do consider him "God". These certain individuals, particularly most NBA enthusiasts like to refer to Larry Bird's famous quote after he scored 63 points against his team as "God disgued as Michael Jordan".

Nobody nominated him a pope or whatever, but there's been obvious indication to my view point that certain fanatics prop him to some sort of weird deity or an untouchable... and we've seen the same thing with the Kobe and LeBron here too with the "da gawd" bullshit, not that I've seen most crazed Jordan fans do it here, but have seen it on sites (YouTube comes to mind).

Back on topic, Jordan probably did get hyped a lot but he also produced at a high level, broke records, etc etc... so if someone can live up to the hype and then some, then it's all good. The person off the court doesn't concern me in terms of basketball talk.

BoutPractice
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Strange how that article criticizes Jordan for being a "monument to the self" and bland capitalist puppet... only to praise the notoriously egotistic Nixon supporter Wilt Chamberlain, very much Jordan's predecessor as a media figure (granted, he was a nicer person, but still).

Let those guys be. They're ball players, stop overinterpreting everything they do or say.

andgar923
03-02-2013, 07:32 PM
People acting as if MJ didn't surpass all the hype time and time again.

Most ironic part is the biggest detractors in this thread are Kobe fans, a player that was pushed and shoved down our throats as the next MJ time and time again before he proved anything. Kobe was hailed as someday surpassing MJ and then FAIL. How many times has the media pronounced "the mamba has the ball, the best closer in the NBA" and then brick? Or "here comes that man" and brick after brick. Yeah label me a hater all y'all want these are FACTS.

FACT is MJ never lost in the finals, and almost always delivered when it mattered.

So perhaps MJ was pushed down our throats.

But guess what?

He not just backed up the hype, he surpassed it.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
People acting as if MJ didn't surpass all the hype time and time again.

Most ironic part is the biggest detractors in this thread are Kobe fans, a player that was pushed and shoved down our throats as the next MJ time and time again before he proved anything. Kobe was hailed as someday surpassing MJ and then FAIL. How many times has the media pronounced "the mamba has the ball, the best closer in the NBA" and then brick? Or "here comes that man" and brick after brick. Yeah label me a hater all y'all want these are FACTS.

FACT is MJ never lost in the finals, and almost always delivered when it mattered.

So perhaps MJ was pushed down our throats.

But guess what?

He not just backed up the hype, he surpassed it.

As Harvard journalist already detailed Jordan continues to fall short of the hype. The mythology surrounding him has little basis in reality. Apparently you are under the impression that Jordan never missed a shot with the game on the line.

winwin
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh and that last sentence is a real doozy, "winning isn't everything",
''there are a whole lot of things more important than basketball''

-Phil Jackson

guy
03-02-2013, 09:40 PM
As Harvard journalist already detailed Jordan continues to fall short of the hype. The mythology surrounding him has little basis in reality. Apparently you are under the impression that Jordan never missed a shot with the game on the line.

Umm, Jordan was never hyped up as some civil rights activist that was going to save the world from any injustice. And contrary to perception and what that article states, Jordan was never hyped up as someone that was immune to criticism, specifically from criticism for the off the court matters. He was simply hyped up as a great basketball player, and specifically one of the most dominant athletes of one of the most popular sports in the modern era. Thats it, and he clearly surpassed that hype by basically getting into the conversation of being arguably the greatest athlete EVER.

In fact, the only reason people criticize him for not standing up for black people, being a corporate pitchman, not speaking against sweatshops, etc. is because of the fact that he got this big in the first place, despite the fact that he was never hyped up to be this activist in the first place. Jordan's not the first celebrity, or the first black celebrity, to not make social issues one of his focuses.

DJ Leon Smith
03-02-2013, 09:48 PM

You are 100 percent correct, all those Jordan advertisements and hype created by the NBA and Nike made it out that Jordan was this infallible creature who never missed a shot with the game on the line.

Except for the ad where he says exactly how many shots he's missed with the game on the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXZFQKKF7A

TheMan
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
''there are a whole lot of things more important than basketball''

-Phil Jackson
Says the guy with 13 NBA titles:oldlol:

The number one goal for a basketball team is to win a title. Don't kid yourself. It's not the end of the world if you never win one but it is a huge disappointment and you move on...and it does affect legacies. Karl Malone and Charles Barkley would be higher up in GOAT ranks if they had chips, Bill Russell wouldn't smell top ten if he had zero titles...

juju151111
03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Toughest defensive assignment? WTF are you smoking? http://chasing23.com/did-scottie-pippen-always-guard-the-other-teams-best-player/ :lol Mj avged 11 asts in the 91 finals. :facepalm Also the article i listed didn't show the 1990 playoofs where Mj guared Isiah.:lol guarded the best player my ass.

tikay0
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM
WinWin's article screams butt hurt. :rant :banghead: :cry: :mad:

Stay thirsty my friends. :roll:

winwin
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Says the guy with 13 NBA titles:oldlol:

The number one goal for a basketball team is to win a title. Don't kid yourself. It's not the end of the world if you never win one but it is a huge disappointment and you move on...and it does affect legacies. Karl Malone and Charles Barkley would be higher up in GOAT ranks if they had chips, Bill Russell wouldn't smell top ten if he had zero titles...
correct .... but,

we are not talking about basketball here ... we are talking about things more important than basketball

TheMan
03-04-2013, 03:40 PM
correct .... but,

we are not talking about basketball here ... we are talking about things more important than basketball
But we are talking about a basketball player, right?

winwin
03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
But we are talking about a basketball player, right?
exactly .. a player ...

but Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, and Arthur Ashe are heros

Rasheed1
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
The article brings up a great point that many grown ups will understand because they lived during the period when athletes actually cared about their communities and other issues besides their own sports image and money. Back in the day, if you had a platform, and you were a success? you also had a conscious message to bring to the people who you influenced. it helped society maintain a better balance than it has today

Jordan shied from that. Personally, I think its a disappointment, but then again, its Mjs choice to do what he wants with his fame. If he wants to sit on the sidelines, then that is his right. Maybe Jordan wouldnt have anything enlightened to say anyway. :confusedshrug: him exposing more of his personality might be a bad thing.. :oldlol:

He was goat on the court and that will have to be enough. But I think the article does bring up the point that celebrities used to care about something other than themselves, and I think it is more noticable when you see celebrities like Kardashians, and lohans, and whoever else (J-lo) is famous but nobody knows wtf for..

Jordan excelled at his craft, so at least he did that

winwin
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
The article brings up a great point that many grown ups will understand because they lived during the period when athletes actually cared about their communities and other issues besides their own sports image and money. Back in the day, if you had a platform, and you were a success? you also had a conscious message to bring to the people who you influenced. it helped society maintain a better balance than it has today

Jordan shied from that. Personally, I think its a disappointment, but then again, its Mjs choice to do what he wants with his fame. If he wants to sit on the sidelines, then that is his right. Maybe Jordan wouldnt have anything enlightened to say anyway. :confusedshrug: him exposing more of his personality might be a bad thing.. :oldlol:

He was goat on the court and that will have to be enough. But I think the article does bring up the point that celebrities used to care about something other than themselves, and I think it is more noticable when you see celebrities like Kardashians, and lohans, and whoever else (J-lo) is famous but nobody knows wtf for..

- i wish Jordan shied from that .. but NO

he supported (Nike "Slave" Child Labor)

- Material Madness

Michael Jordan’s shoes were the beginning of a strange cultural phenomenon. Jordan kept getting sued $5,000 a game by the league for wearing his shoes in 1985 because of the color scheme. Nike, on the other hand, kept paying the fines. They felt that this was great publicity for Jordan and their company. This controversial situation fueled Jordan’s legend and the legend of the brand.

Yet, that phenomenon turned into something even Michael Jordan didn’t expect. It turned into something murderously ugly.

google the book: ''Capitalism and Michael Jordan''

and ''Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism''

tikay0
03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=winwin]- i wish Jordan shied from that .. but NO

he supported (Nike "Slave" Child Labor)

- Material Madness

Michael Jordan

guy
03-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Couldn't the fact that Jordan didn't make social issues one of his focuses be a sign of the times though? I believe I read an interview from Jordan a long time ago where he said that part of the reason he stays away from issues such as race is because he didn't really experience alot of racism growing up. Now maybe he's downplaying it cause thats a little hard to believe given he grew up in the south in the late 60s and 70s, but thats what he said, and either way, I'm sure he experienced much less then people like Joe Louis, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who grew up in earlier times.

And maybe I'm wrong so feel free to correct me, but I've never heard Dr. J or Magic, who came before Jordan, embrace social issues. Magic did for HIV/AIDS but that was only after he contracted it. The fact is there's not alot of athletes in general since the 60s/70s that have really made a big deal out of social issues. Obviously, Jordan was the biggest athlete of them all, but its not like you can say everyone else didn't have a huge platform as well.

I'm not making excuses for the guy. I'm sure there are things he shied away from that he shouldn't have, but like you said, he wasn't obligated to do more then be an athlete, and thats what the majority of athletes have done since.

bagelred
03-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I hate when sports leagues throw the greatest athlete ever in our faces. It disgusts me.

Rasheed1
03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Couldn't the fact that Jordan didn't make social issues one of his focuses be a sign of the times though? I believe I read an interview from Jordan a long time ago where he said that part of the reason he stays away from issues such as race is because he didn't really experience alot of racism growing up. Now maybe he's downplaying it cause thats a little hard to believe given he grew up in the south in the late 60s and 70s, but thats what he said, and either way, I'm sure he experienced much less then people like Joe Louis, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who grew up in earlier times.

Yeah... I mean, it wasnt every athlete and if Jordan had nothing to say, then he did the right thing I guess.

Plus the 80s was the era where all the activism and people caring about one another stopped..

Guys like Ali and Jabbar, and Russell played in the earlier era and Jordan was a part of the 80s

And maybe I'm wrong so feel free to correct me, but I've never heard Dr. J or Magic, who came before Jordan, embrace social issues. Magic did for HIV/AIDS but that was only after he contracted it. The fact is there's not alot of athletes in general since the 60s/70s that have really made a big deal out of social issues. Obviously, Jordan was the biggest athlete of them all, but its not like you can say everyone else didn't have a huge platform as well.

Drj wasnt an Ali type activist.. Doc's role was more general as the role model for players. Doc was also like the place where jazz music and bball met. People were into Doc's smooth demeanor and his class. HE didnt say or do anythin in particular, but he was like godfather (met him when I was a kid at a Temple Black tie event... It was like meeting the pope).

Magic was all hollywood and broads before he met his match with the HIV thing. But Im proud of him the way he has handled himself post NBA. He has been a great influence and role to many people

I'm not making excuses for the guy. I'm sure there are things he shied away from that he shouldn't have, but like you said, he wasn't obligated to do more then be an athlete, and thats what the majority of athletes have done since.

yeah, everyone has the right to do what they want with the success they earn. It is easy to tell someone else to martyr themselves for the cause, but you cant be mad when they dont do it.

DonDadda59
03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
When you're the best to ever do something, people tend to make a big deal about it. I know, strange concept.

Nevaeh
03-04-2013, 06:41 PM

YMF having prime MJ as his avatar is defintely not helping his cause either.

http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

Nevaeh
03-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Win Win's article makes a good point about jordan. He was a great athlete, but he doesnt compare as personality. In fact he has a pretty poor personality. DGMW, he is the goat on the court, but he surely doesnt measure up to Ali or Some of the other greats in other sports.

I know for black people, it used to be a responsibility and an honor for celebrities to also be community activists and people who actually stood for something..

Not so much anymore..

That actually depended on the individual though. Jordan even said himself that he doesn't like drawing attention to himself for things he does out of the public eye. He probably saw that as "Attention Whoring", and already knew that his game and shoes alone garnered enough attention by themselves already.

People projected onto Jordan what they wished he could be by virtue of him being good at a sport. I was a kid when Jordan hit the scene, and at no time did it hit me to ask "why don't Jordan do more to help black people" or whatever else was going on at the time.

In the commentary of the movie Malcom X, Spike Lee mentions how Jordan was one of a handful of celebrities who came to the aid of the film financially in order for it to get it finished. That film featured one of Denzel Washington's greatest performances to this day. The first half of it alone could have been a movie by itself.

Did Jordan feel the need to draw attention to himself about how important Malcom's life story was, during a time where racial tension was at an all-time high during the 60s? No, the film did the job just fine. Just how Jordan always let his game do the talking. Yet white people still loved MJ. Why? because he was a great f@cking B-ball player.

There's an old saying that goes "stay in your lane" and that's exactly what Jordan did. You don't see people asking Laurence Fishbourne why he didn't get a starting job in the NBA during the 90s do you?