PDA

View Full Version : Wait...I thought a "jump-shot free throw" was illegal

no pun intended
02-27-2013, 10:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/hoping-solve-season-long-foul-line-woes-ryan-142745072--ncaab.html

:wtf:

La Frescobaldi
02-27-2013, 10:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/hoping-solve-season-long-foul-line-woes-ryan-142745072--ncaab.html

Hal Greer was lifelong jumper FT shooter........ 80% career

G-train
02-27-2013, 10:20 PM

No you just cant jump over the line, however it's easier to have a consistent technique if you aren't jumping.

02-27-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't know why it would be illegal in the first place. As long as the shooter doesn't step inside too soon like everyone else, it shouldn't be too bad.

ripthekik
02-27-2013, 10:23 PM
so what about taking one giant leap behind the freethrow line, and making a layup before you land? should be legal?

G-train
02-27-2013, 10:25 PM
so what about taking one giant leap behind the freethrow line, and making a layup before you land? should be legal?

You can't go over the line til the ball touches the basket.
The rule was introduced in college as Wilt was doing exactly that.

La Frescobaldi
02-27-2013, 10:26 PM

check out interview with Tex Winter........ fast forward to 3:15 to see why the rule is........... you can't break the plane of the free throw line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk

ripthekik
02-27-2013, 10:28 PM
ok.. now i remember getting called for those 'getting in the lane too early' calls.. makes sense.

imnew09
02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
you can jump, but it just looks weird. That's what I did in my freshman, but I looked completely like an amateur so I stopped jumping.

d.bball.guy
02-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Yeah, Hal Greer jumped on his free throws. Somebody tell this to Dwight.

MJ(Mean John)
02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Can you hook?

Like sky hook?

If so, that f.ucker shaq should have done it. Lol

ripthekik
02-27-2013, 11:43 PM
how about something less embarassing, just bank it off the glass. should be easier for the big guys to toss them at the square. they won't be clowned like throwing underhand or jumping too.

no pun intended
02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
how about something less embarassing, just bank it off the glass. should be easier for the big guys to toss them at the square. they won't be clowned like throwing underhand or jumping too.
Yeah, I always wondered why more players don't bank their free throws.

Pushxx
02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Consistency is what makes elite free throw shooters, and jumping on your free throw is going to **** your consistency.

People just learn how to shoot the damn basketball correctly...

pudman13
08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Hal Greer jumped on his free throws.

If you watch that Maravich game that's on youtube from his rookie year, a little known Phoenix player named Fred Taylor also does the jump shot from the line, like Hal Greer.

Meticode
08-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Consistency is what makes elite free throw shooters, and jumping on your free throw is going to **** your consistency.

People just learn how to shoot the damn basketball correctly...
Let the man shoot the ball the way he wants to.

InfiniteBaskets
08-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Let the man shoot the ball the way he wants to.
Agree.
Personal familiarity > "Correct" method.

Reggie Miller had his elbow out and nobody was going to tell him he was shooting the ball incorrectly. Even Kobe has his elbow out a little bit, I remember him talking about his form on an interview a while ago. Do what feels comfortable.

check out interview with Tex Winter........ fast forward to 3:15 to see why the rule is........... you can't break the plane of the free throw line.

Your legs can't break the plane or any part of your body? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen tons of players extend their upper body over the plane and then take a giant step forwards to catch themselves after the ball hits the rim.

Burgz V2
08-28-2014, 01:59 PM
you can stand anywhere in the half-circle too, knew a dude in HS who would stand on the far left of the freethrow line

waseem780
08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
you can stand anywhere in the half-circle too, knew a dude in HS who would stand on the far left of the freethrow line
Nick Van Exel stands far back

BrownEye007
08-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Kyrie Irving always stands back a little bit from the line.

chocolatethunder
08-28-2014, 06:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk
Am I the only one other than you here that knew that Wilt dunked his FTs? Damn.

Also in the early 90's there was a guy in the Puerto Rican league who jumped on his free throws too. I cannot remember his name but I think that he played for Guaynabo Mets. I'll think of it sooner or later.

outbreak
08-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I always wondered why more players don't bank their free throws.
Me too, I played with a guy who sucked really bad at shooting and after he started banking all his shots he got way better.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Wilt also dunked from the 3pt line. It's why they extended it back.

JohnMax
08-28-2014, 07:18 PM
They changed the rules of the player staying behind the free throw line BECAUSE WILT USED TO DUNK IT FROM THE LINE. He would go a few steps back, get a running start, and dunk it from the free throw line instead of shooting free throws.

no pun intended
08-28-2014, 07:37 PM
They changed the rules of the player staying behind the free throw line BECAUSE WILT USED TO DUNK IT FROM THE LINE. He would go a few steps back, get a running start, and dunk it from the free throw line instead of shooting free throws.
I heard about this. Does anyone have footage on this? CavaliersFTW?

outbreak
08-28-2014, 07:50 PM
I heard about this. Does anyone have footage on this? CavaliersFTW?
it was when he was in high school or college though wasn't it?

deja vu
08-28-2014, 07:58 PM
So that's why he sucked at free throws. He never got to practice them earlier. :lol

08-28-2014, 07:58 PM
During the 1980s and 90s there was a player named Michael Adams who used to stand far on the right of the free throw line and lean very exaggeratingly when he leaned to shoot his shot.

Some how he never was penalized for leaning his upper body over the plane of the FT line. I guess only the feet have to stay behind the line/plane.

An anecdote: in high school I knew a player who used to shoot his free throws 2 feet behind the line and jumped up like a jump shot. He was never penalized at all of all the games I have seen play.

jongib369
08-28-2014, 08:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8

Hey Yo
08-28-2014, 08:08 PM
You can't go over the line til the ball touches the basket.
The rule was introduced in college as Wilt was doing exactly that.
If you watch the controversial 2002 game 6 of the WCF, you'll see Shaq step over the line after every FT before ball making contact.

Yet he was never called for it and did well that night from the FTL.

fsvr54
08-28-2014, 08:44 PM
So is it legal to take a step back jumper free throw?

kshutts1
08-29-2014, 12:46 PM
So is it legal to take a step back jumper free throw?
Yes.

Simple question, simple answer: any type of shot inside of that circle is allowed. You can sit for all they care. Just stay in that circle until the ball hits the rim (unless you play in the NBA. They don't follow most rules that strictly).

Burgz V2
08-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Kyrie Irving always stands back a little bit from the line.

Yea, T-Mac did that for a while with the Raptors and Magic, would stand in the middle of the half circle, literally a mid range set shot

Real14
08-29-2014, 04:27 PM
I smell a conspiracy with this situation.

steve
08-29-2014, 05:47 PM
it was when he was in high school or college though wasn't it?

Yes it was before he even got to Kansas. It also needs to be considered that they were still messing around with the basic rules of the game. When they included this tidbit it probably hadn't occurred to them that a player would be athletic and long enough to even attempt it, much less accomplish it. At that point concepts like dribbling and taking the ball out under the basket weren't even 50 years old yet (the game itself was just a year or two over 60). I mean, the idea of the shot clock hadn't even been invented and implemented yet. I'm not sure people ever quite grasp how quickly the country latched on to basketball after its creation.