PDA

View Full Version : A discussion from early 2013: Prime Mike Bibby (2000's) vs Current Stephen Curry

Jyap9675
02-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Who do you got?

andremiller07
02-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Probably a bad time to make a comparison after Curry went for 50+ but a good comparison none the less. I think a lot of people forget how good Bibby really was and how much he meant to that Kings team. I' m not sure but good thread none the less.

Clifton
02-28-2013, 11:45 PM
I can't decide.

So I'll say Bibby because he's already done it in the playoffs. With Curry, we're just pretty darn sure he'll do it in the playoffs too, and even better than Bibby.

Really good question.

Jyap9675
02-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Probably a bad time to make a comparison after Curry went for 50+ but a good comparison none the less. I think a lot of people forget how good Bibby really was and how much he meant to that Kings team. I' m not sure but good thread none the less.

Yea I've been pondering this question for a while now, I was too young to witness Bibby in action but after seeing some of highlights it reminded me a lot of Curry.

TAZORAC
02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
I can't decide.

So I'll say Bibby because he's already done it in the playoffs. With Curry, we're just pretty darn sure he'll do it in the playoffs too, and even better than Bibby.

Really good question.

Bibby couldn't hit 50 in his prime playing a good college team.

Curry is better.

inclinerator
03-01-2013, 12:09 AM
stephen curry

andremiller07
03-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Curry is better.
Cause 44 points is no where near 50 right?

FKAri
03-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Bibby. One of the top dogs and showrunner for arguably the best team in the NBA. Curry could surpass him though unless he breaks his ankles again.

Fiasco
03-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Bibby.

Normdog
03-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Bibby

03-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Too soon to tell.

We'll have to wait until Curry plays in the POs.

I'm sure Curry will do great and after the will we better determine.

iamgine
03-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Bibby scored 40+ points four times in one season.

Curry has only got two 40+ points in his career.

Not yet...

Clifton
03-01-2013, 02:00 AM

Curry is better.
Maybe not, but he could've done it on the Knicks.

With a guy like Bibby you simply need eyes. If you watched him in his prime, you'd know that however average a player he may have been overall, Bibby's one of the most clutch guys to ever play. That doesn't mean game winners or 20pt fourth quarters; it's little moments and little things he does all throughout important games - right thing at the right time. A certain extra swagger to his step as he brought the ball up where you knew if he had an inch of room it was going in.

I think Curry has every bit that level of clutchness in him. Watching him last night he wasn't just on fire; there was something special and enduring there. Let's just not take away from Bibby simply because Curry caught fire against a bad defense with his whole team injured. He needs to do it in the playoffs first.

Djahjaga
03-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Cause 44 points is no where near 50 right?

Let's not act like that's common knowledge...

Though, I did remember Bibby having some serious scoring games.

sundizz
03-01-2013, 04:45 AM
I am a die-hard Warriors and Curry fan and I still say that Bibby was better. He wasn't better at any single thing (besides not being hurt) and no one would ever take Bibby over Curry to start a franchise, or even as a draft pick.

However, prime Mike Bibby could go toe to toe as a 4th quarter clutch performer with anyone in the NBA. Not just got a game, but for multiple series. He was that guy.

Watching him against the Lakers was incredible. Him, not Webber, not anyone else, is the reason the Kings were such an incredible team. He led them to victories and closed games for them.

For some reason, the Dubs seem to rely on the new Captain Jack to do that for this current team. Seems short-sighted (but I guess for the Dubs getting to the playoffs is the real goal), but in the playoffs it'll come down to how well Curry does at the end of games.

Burgz V2
03-01-2013, 06:01 AM
bibby was the ultimate floor general and a great shooter off the dribble, perfect for the Kings offense. Steph is a better shooter and gets into the lane better than Bibby.

it's tough but Mike Bibby was one of those players that always hit daggers/big shots in big games so I'll take him. he also had ankles :lol

Done_And_Done
03-01-2013, 07:32 AM
If Steph can refrain from staying off the pine due to injuries I feel that he has the innate tools to formulate himself into a pretty special player. Part of me wants to say Curry based on the "what could be principle" but as one who closely watched Bibby's entire career, he brought with him everything one could possibly need in a point guard during the apex of his career.

To me it essentially boils down to the intangibles, consistency, and potential injury woes so im bidding on Mike for this one. Anyone who watched that Kings team knows that Bibby was the unspoken catalyst...

Done and Done

Lebron23
03-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Give me Prime Bibby right now. Steph will surpass him someday if he can lead his team deeper into the playoffs.

eurobum
03-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Give me Prime Bibby right now. Steph will surpass him someday if he can lead his team deeper into the playoffs.

Just because he was PG doesn't mean he led his team. Webber clearly did and even Divac before Bibby.

Curry seems to be, unfortunately, injury prone, but if healthy I would probably take Curry, but I need to see more of him before I could make a proper decision.

Better handle and the shot don't lie. Not just the shot; he can get it off any way he like -- off the dribble, catch and shoot, underrated getting free off the ball as well.

His passing is on point too and he seems to make the right decisions most of the time.

How's his defense?

Jyap9675
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
How come Bibby never became an All star?

Noyze
03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Look, I know we're on a high about Curry's performance in the Garden and he's still young.............but.......Bibby was incredible, and his proformance throughout the 2002 playoffs was legendary. You can stack up his play against any HOF for one year in the post season. Lakers fans will never forget.

brandonislegend
03-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Curry is better.

You my friend are an idiot.

Solid Snake
03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I go with Bibby. Kids just don't remember how good he used to be.

Miles and Miles
03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
<<<<-----------

Jyap9675
05-11-2016, 04:48 AM
#bump

JGXEN
05-11-2016, 05:04 AM
epic bump

Disaprine
05-11-2016, 11:06 AM
:roll:

riseagainst
05-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Look at all these people praising prime Mike Bibby, deservedly so. But now Curry is literally 10 times the player prime Mike Bibby was.

:bowdown: