PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan

crisoner
03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Can we pause a minute to recognize these two great players still putting up great numbers after all these years in the NBA.
Just think about the wear and tear both have on them right now.
Both have won multiple titles and have played deep in to the playoffs numerous amounts of times.

I think fans who are just getting in to the NBA need to have more respect for these two.

Kobe is hated for BS LeBron and Jordan reasons...and Duncan is an after thought to most of you.

Here are their current stats right now.

Kobe 2012-13 Stats

PPG 27.2
RPG 5.40
APG 5.6
EFF + 24.27

Duncan 2012-13 Stats

PPG 16.8
RPG 9.70
APG 2.6
EFF + 22.86

Two legends in the game still playing right now.

kennethgriffin
03-01-2013, 03:24 PM
to be fair. kobes the only one of the 2 still putting up great/elite numbers

duncans putting up solid numbers. good for any center in the nba atm. but that isnt saying much

Eat Like A Bosh
03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Sometimes people spend so much time hating on a particular player that they never met(Kobe, LeBron), they are missing how great they really are. It's pointless. Yeah, definitely appreciate the legends while they're still here. But if you're a true fan of basketball, you can't really hate on those guys.

pegasus
03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Great thread.:applause:

The haters should stop and think about all of those HOF's that have come and gone during these two legends' respective tenures in the NBA. It's astonishing that they are still able to play at an elite level after so many years and several deep playoff runs.

Haymaker
03-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Sometimes people spend so much time hating on a particular player that they never met(Kobe, LeBron), they are missing how great they really are. It's pointless. Yeah, definitely appreciate the legends while they're still here. But if you're a true fan of basketball, you can't really hate on those guys. Exactly. I'm a Spurs fan but I can appreciate other teams and other players. For example, I love Memphis, Clippers, Pacers and Knicks. You don't have to be a blind homer all the time. I've learned to appreciate Kobe as the years pass. His competitive drive is unbelievable and even though he's known as being selfish on the court, he's all about winning.

305Baller
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Not to mention: Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Andre Miller

AlphaWolf24
03-01-2013, 03:56 PM
- IMHO Tim Duncan is the greatest Leader in sports....( that I have actually seen ....since early 80's)

- I watched the Magic's, Bird's, Jordan's...heck even the Montana's ,Elway's, Jeter's etc...

- He is stoic, Humble and most importantly....he Wins/Dominate's with his mind more so then his Body.( sure he is gifted athlete but he is more cerebral minded and uses the little aspects to dominate more then just the physical)

- I always thought Duncan was a guy you would want in the Foxhole...him and Pop make a perfect match.....no wonder the Spurs have Dominated and won so much.

SwayDizzle
03-01-2013, 04:01 PM
- IMHO Tim Duncan is the greatest Leader in sports....( that I have actually seen ....since early 80's)

- I watched the Magic's, Bird's, Jordan's...heck even the Montana's ,Elway's, Jeter's etc...

- He is stoic, Humble and most importantly....he Wins/Dominate's with his mind more so then his Body.( sure he is gifted athlete but he is more cerebral minded and uses the little aspects to dominate more then just the physical)

- I always thought Duncan was a guy you would want in the Foxhole...him and Pop make a perfect match.....no wonder the Spurs have Dominated and won so much.
:applause: :applause:

03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players ever and it's a treat to see him still playing.

DaSeba5
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Well we get a 100 Kobe threads a day so I'm tired of being reminded of it, but for Duncan... :cheers:

I don't hate Kobe, and I really respect him, but I hate his fans.

secund2nun
03-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Tim is and always was a far superior player than Kobe yet sadly still to this day never gets any recognition. Heck, Tim's team has the tied best record in the NBA while the loaded Lakers might not even make the playoffs.

lebeast666
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Hate aside. :applause: Kobe and Duncan

lebeast666
03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Well we get a 100 Kobe threads a day so I'm tired of being reminded of it, but for Duncan... :cheers:

This. :coleman:

03-01-2013, 04:28 PM

For the most part I am indifferent to Kobe but if I don't show overtly fan boyism I am hater.

It's like I have to love him and if I don't then I am an insecure Jordan or LeBron fan.

ralph_i_el
03-01-2013, 04:29 PM
to be fair. kobes the only one of the 2 still putting up great/elite numbers

duncans putting up solid numbers. good for any center in the nba atm. but that isnt saying much

Timmy is putting up 20-11 with 3 blks per 36 man he just doesn't play a ton of minutes like Kobe.

timmy>kobe even now. Defense counts in basketball

imnew09
03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Once these 2 legends retire, people will be mourning.

DaSeba5
03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Once these 2 legends retire, people will be mourning.

I definitely will. Top 10 players of all time, and I grew up watching them.

L.A. Jazz
03-01-2013, 05:08 PM
fundamentals !!!
to all those hyped high jumpers, dunkers and other gifted athletes, watch Kobe and Tim, they show you what you should learn and practise every day. that's basketball.

BuffaloBill
03-01-2013, 05:28 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Crown&Coke
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Duncan is one of my favorite players. Steady presence who will do anything you ask of him. His stoic demeanor gets taken for indifference but dude wants to win as bad as anyone, he just doesn't need to scream or pound his chest to do it. Funny guy too

And Kobe is Kobe. Straight up baller. A killer in a game of hunt or be hunted

Fans will rue the day these two giants of the NBA hang em up.

DonDadda59
03-01-2013, 05:44 PM

Amen :applause:

In all his years in the league, you've never heard anyone say a negative word about him. Not teammates, not coaches, not opponents (f*ck Joey Crawford :oldlol: ). It's not surprising that during his tenure, the Spurs have the highest winning percentage in all of sports, not just basketball. People sometimes think that leadership= guy barking and foaming at the mouth, causing a ruckus. You want to learn how to be a true leader, watch Timmy D. The man does whatever the team needs in order to win, doesn't let his ego sabotage his squad like some other guys.

He's one of those guys who's greatness is generally overlooked while playing, but History will be extremely kind to his legacy (ala The Dream).

kennethgriffin
03-01-2013, 06:01 PM
The reason i dont give duncan as much credit as kobe in terms of longevity is because of the fact that tony parker has been the spurs best player and leader since 2006-07... Thats nearly 7 years that duncans been his teams second fiddle

Now ofcourse for kobes first 6 years he wasnt his teams best player either. But that was shaq. This is tony parker...

Kobe would never be the 2nd best player on a team with tony parker. Not even if kobe was 45 years old

LeBird
03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
The reason i dont give duncan as much credit as kobe in terms of longevity is because of the fact that tony parker has been the spurs best player and leader since 2006-07... Thats nearly 7 years that duncans been his teams second fiddle

Now ofcourse for kobes first 6 years he wasnt his teams best player either. But that was shaq. This is tony parker...

Kobe would never be the 2nd best player on a team with tony parker. Not even if kobe was 45 years old

Kobe's refusal to be the 2nd best player, at this stage of their careers, is precisely why Duncan is a better player than him and the Spurs are a far better team.

9erempiree
03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Up until last year, Duncan fell off the face of this earth while Kobe has been playing at a high level through out his entire career.

Love how Mamba is schooling these guys.

DonDadda59
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Being a big man is a lot more physically strenuous and taxing than being a perimeter player, especially in the modern NBA. And Tony Parker wasn't the Spurs' best player in '06-'07, Duncan should be sitting on 4 finals MVPs right now.

I don't think Parker was handed the keys to the Spurs offense until the '08-'09 season, which coincidentally happened to be the first time the Spurs didn't at least get into the second round during Tim's tenure on the team.

Money 23
03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
No love for KG?

It's no surprise Kobe / Duncan / KG are still hanging in there. We're talking about INTENSE competitors, who take care of their body ... who are so skilled, that it puts the rest of their generation to shame.

I watched the game the other night, and Kobe was incredible. All these guys have totally out shined the rest of their contemporaries.

Haymaker
03-01-2013, 06:19 PM
fundamentals !!!
to all those hyped high jumpers, dunkers and other gifted athletes, watch Kobe and Tim, they show you what you should learn and practise every day. that's basketball. :cheers: Truth.

kennethgriffin
03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Kobe's refusal to be the 2nd best player, at this stage of their careers, is precisely why Duncan is a better player than him and the Spurs are a far better team.

This statement would be true if kobe wasnt having one of his most efficient fg% seasons.

Kobes been great this year. Its dwight whos been dissapointing

Everyone on the lakers has been in bad shape too. Pau, nash, howard

While kobes body seems to get younger and better. Not missing any time while playing 40 minutes a night

Duncans team is better because it hasnt had a major player/coaching change. And everyones healthy

Anyone who puts league ranked 30th-40th duncan over league ranked 3rd-5th kobe has no clue what theyre talking about

fpliii
03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
This statement would be true if kobe wasnt having one of his most efficient fg% seasons.

Kobes been great this year. Its dwight whos been dissapointing

Everyone on the lakers has been in bad shape too. Pau, nash, howard

While kobes body seems to get younger and better. Not missing any time while playing 40 minutes a night

Duncans team is better because it hasnt had a major player/coaching change. And everyones healthy

Anyone who puts league ranked 30th-40th duncan over league ranked 3rd-5th kobe has no clue what theyre talking about

Duncan has been a top 3 center this year at worst (this sentiment is near-universal), how does that translate to 30th-40th?

scm5
03-01-2013, 06:34 PM

This is one of the reasons why sometimes I understand why "Kobe stans" go apeshit over some of the stuff said on this board.

Kobe is putting up 27/5/6 on 47% shooting and he's supposed to play second fiddle to Dwight who is one of the worst post up players (based on points per possession) in the league? F that.

Kobe haters are sometime just as irrational as Kobe stans can sometimes be.

kennethgriffin
03-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Duncan has been a top 3 center this year at worst (this sentiment is near-universal), how does that translate to 30th-40th?

Being a top 3 center in todays league doesnt automatically equate a top 30 player... Theres atleast 25-30 total pg+sg+sf+pf's combined better than duncan

KG215
03-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Duncan is nowhere near the 30th-40th best player in the league right now. He's much higher, especially when healthy.

aau
03-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Being a big man is a lot more physically strenuous and taxing than being a perimeter player, especially in the modern NBA. And Tony Parker wasn't the Spurs' best player in '06-'07, Duncan should be sitting on 4 finals MVPs right now.

yeah

because playing against the likes of

camby - chandler and pau carries a death sentence

Big#50
03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
While I don't think Kobe should play second fiddle, I think his shots per game should have been lower, specially at the start of the season. He was supposed to give others shots and touches to get accustomed in the offense. His mentality of I'm the big dog is the reason they struggled a lot this year.
Duncan has the hunger of a young lion (no 1500 essay) after losing to the Thunder. I think he felt his team was jobbed. Seems Tim is on cruise control right now. I say he turns it on again with 12-15 games remaining in the year. They should both be all NBA first team. Tim should be all defensive as well. Specially if Kobe makes it again. Which would be laughable.
Let's not forget KG. As much as I hate him, he still is a really good player. These guys are legends, but it also says a lot of the state of the NBA.

Jameerthefear
03-01-2013, 07:05 PM
kenneth and niner need to **** off. this was a good thread. stop dickriding kobe so much damn.

kennethgriffin
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
kenneth and niner need to **** off. this was a good thread. stop dickriding kobe so much damn.

Ya.... And you're ugly

secund2nun
03-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Being a top 3 center in todays league doesnt automatically equate a top 30 player... Theres atleast 25-30 total pg+sg+sf+pf's combined better than duncan

Duncan is a far superior player than overrated Kobe.

KOBE143
03-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Both are still best in their respective position.. Duncan is probably the best center while Kobe is still the undisputed best sg in the league by far..

Kobe still a superstars..

Even tho Duncan is no longer a superstars and already a shell of his former self, he still capable of putting an allstars caliber stats in a regular basis..

THis year Duncan is better than Dwight Howard..

Legends66NBA7
03-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Still one of the funniest commercials between the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC099FK-ltc

:oldlol:

Smoke117
03-02-2013, 03:25 AM
My main problem with Tim Duncan is the fact that he was never a Power Forward. The only reason he ever played that position is the fact that David Robinson played about 6 games in the 96-97 season and the Spurs were the luckiest mother ****ers ever to get the first pick and be able to get Duncan in the 1997 draft. The fact of the matter is he's a CENTER AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN A CENTER. THE ONLY REASON HE'S EVER BEEN PUT AS A PF IS THAT HE PLAYED WITH DAVID ROBINSON FOR THE FIRST SIX YEARS OF HIS CAREER. It's ****ing annoying how people say Duncan is the best PF of all time when HE WAS NEVER A PF EVER! He was only put at that position because he played with David Robinson.

03-02-2013, 03:54 AM
I always thought how suspect it was how Duncan got to SA.

Prior to the 96 97 season, the Spurs were elite and were title contenders then they implode for that one year. That one year could've been a year too late or too soon.

The year too late was could've been the year they could've have taken Olawakandi in 98 or maybe camby or AI in 96.

Nope. It happened to be the exact same year Duncan would go to the draft after exhausting all 4 years of his NCAA eligibility.

He was predicted to be #1 in any of the previous years he would've declared for the draft.

Bit the stars were really aligned for the Spurs. I think other struggling franchises like the Kings or Celtics could have benefitted from Duncan

The Spurs really lucked out and should feel privileged (dare I say) to have had Duncan on their roster since 97 . and he didn't jump the shark to join Hill and Tmac in Orlando in 2000.

I always likened the Spurs to the Duke of the NBA. The rich getting richer

nosfan773
03-02-2013, 04:03 AM
My main problem with Tim Duncan is the fact that he was never a Power Forward. The only reason he ever played that position is the fact that David Robinson played about 6 games in the 96-97 season and the Spurs were the luckiest mother ****ers ever to get the first pick and be able to get Duncan in the 1997 draft. The fact of the matter is he's a CENTER AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN A CENTER. THE ONLY REASON HE'S EVER BEEN PUT AS A PF IS THAT HE PLAYED WITH DAVID ROBINSON FOR THE FIRST SIX YEARS OF HIS CAREER. It's ****ing annoying how people say Duncan is the best PF of all time when HE WAS NEVER A PF EVER! He was only put at that position because he played with David Robinson.

Has this affected you personally?

Big#50
03-02-2013, 04:23 AM
LoL relax. It's not that serious.

rmt
03-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Tony Parker has not been the Spurs' best player since 06-07.

Parker / Duncan

06-07
18.6 pts 5.5 asst 3.2 reb 52%FG / 20 pts 3.4 asst 10.6 reb 2.4 blk 54.6%FG
Finals MVP, All-Star / All-Star, All-NBA 1st team, All-NBA Defensive 1st team

07-08
18.8 pts 6 asst 3.2 reb 49.4%FG / 19.3 pts 2.8 asst 11.3 reb 2.4 blk 49.7%FG
- / All-Star, All-NBA 2nd, All-Defensive 1st
This year Manu was All-NBA 3rd team with 19.5 its 4.5 asst 4.8 reb 46%FG

08-09
22 pts 6.9 asst 3.1 reb 50.6%FG / 19.3 pts 3.5 asst 10.7 reb 1.7 blk 50.4%FG
All-Star, All-NBA 3rd / All-Star, All-NBA 2nd, All-Defensive 2nd

09-10
16 pts 5.7 asst 2.4 reb 48.7%FG / 17.9 pts 3.2 asst 10.1 reb 1.5 blk 51.8%FG
- / All Star, All-NBA 3rd, All-Defensive 2nd

10-11
17.5 pts 6.6 asst 3.1 reb 51.9%FG / 13.4 pts 2.7 asst 8.9 reb 1.9 blk 50%FG
- / All-Star
Manu was the best player this year - All-Star, All-NBA 3rd

11-12
18.3 pts 7.7 asst 2.9 reb 48%FG / 15.4 pts 2.3 asst 9 reb 1.5 blk 49.2%FG
All-Star, All-NBA 2nd / -

12-13
21 pts 6 asst 3 reb 49.5%FG / 16.7 pts 2.6 asst 9.7 reb 2.7 blk 49.6%FG
All-Star / All-Star
- /

Spurs' best player
06-07 Duncan
07-08 Duncan
08-09 tie - Parker (22/6.9) - Duncan (19.3/10.7/3.5)
09-10 Duncan
10-11 Manu
11-12 Parker
12-13 Parker

This is not counting the fact that Duncan is by far the best defensive player on the Spurs, and the defense is noticeably worse when he sits (especially with Bonner, Blair and Diaw).

Artillery
03-02-2013, 09:17 AM
I always thought how suspect it was how Duncan got to SA.

Prior to the 96 97 season, the Spurs were elite and were title contenders then they implode for that one year. That one year could've been a year too late or too soon.

The year too late was could've been the year they could've have taken Olawakandi in 98 or maybe camby or AI in 96.

Nope. It happened to be the exact same year Duncan would go to the draft after exhausting all 4 years of his NCAA eligibility.

He was predicted to be #1 in any of the previous years he would've declared for the draft.

Bit the stars were really aligned for the Spurs. I think other struggling franchises like the Kings or Celtics could have benefitted from Duncan

The Spurs really lucked out and should feel privileged (dare I say) to have had Duncan on their roster since 97 . and he didn't jump the shark to join Hill and Tmac in Orlando in 2000.

I always likened the Spurs to the Duke of the NBA. The rich getting richer

That's a really bad comparison seeing as the Spurs are a small market team that's been forced to stay under the luxury tax for most of their existence. Meanwhile, Duke spends more than any other college program in the nation.

AT9
03-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I grew up hating Kobe.

I first got into the NBA when I moved to San Antonio as an 11 year old kid in 2001....right when the Lakers were dominating the Spurs and the whole league. Regardless, I got swept up in the love that SA has for the Spurs, especially since it was the first time I lived in a city with a pro team. I've been a huge fan ever since.

Now that I'm a little less bitter, I truly do respect Kobe. Just an ice-cold killer and an all-time great.

I could go on and on about Duncan. I could always identify with his introverted and quiet, yet determined and competitive, personality. He really is one of the best leaders and players of all time.

We're lucky to be able to watch them over their careers. Two of the saddest days in the NBA will be when these two call it quits.

To Kobe and Duncan: :bowdown:

JellyBean
03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah. You gotta give props to these legends of the game, along with KG and P-Double (Paul Pierce) for putting up numbers like the ones they are putting up...at such an advanced age. I am just more impressed with Kobe though. Playing 38 minutes a game and getting 27/5/5 and shooting 47% decent.

Odinn
03-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Wasn't this thread supposed to be an appreciation thread?..:facepalm Uncontrolled Kobe stans and Kobe haters, they are everywhere.

03-03-2013, 01:35 AM
That's a really bad comparison seeing as the Spurs are a small market team that's been forced to stay under the luxury tax for most of their existence. Meanwhile, Duke spends more than any other college program in the nation.

I meant rich in talent and having winning seasons. Not fiscal rich comparisons.

If I was a SA Spurs fan, that's how I would feel. Lucky to have had the chips fall in the right places at the right time.

DirtySanchez
03-03-2013, 02:57 AM
This is suppose to be a appreciation thread for both players. Not comparing them what so ever...and please stop the dumb bashing.

And I do agree a player like KG could be included to this topic as well. But he just does not have the resumes that Kobe and Timmy do as far as titles and consistency of deep playoff runs.

G-Funk
03-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Imagine Kobe and Duncan? They would have won six or seven

The Mamba
03-03-2013, 03:52 AM
:biggums:

Why do you come across so angry about it? It's a bit excessive. You sound like a very resentful person. Like this was a personal issue or something. Calm the hell down. With that said, I absolutely agree. And I do not call him the greatest PF ever, because as you said, he's a center.

NumberSix
03-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Imagine Kobe and Duncan? They would have won six or seven
Doubt it. Kobe would have demanded Timmy to be traded or he'll leave as a FA.

03-03-2013, 05:02 AM

Duncan is willing to defer while Shaq wouldn't. When Parker won FMVP, Duncan didn't make a fuss and today's Spurs have Parker as their best player and not a peep out of Duncan's mouth.

I see this hypothetical duo of Kobe/Duncan to be longer lasting than Kobe/Shaq.

G-Funk
03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Ur smoking, Timmy is no where near as selfish as Shaq was, Kobe and Duncan would compliment each other so well, even their personalities are a perfect match up.