PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 SG's of the 90's

9erempiree
03-04-2013, 10:11 PM
10. Nick Anderson
A player whose appearance on this list may surprise many. Anderson was never an all-star or all NBA player but he was a solid shooting guard who contributed to many very good Orlando Magic teams. He made an appearance in the NBA Finals, and the hall of shame in 1995 where despite being a very good free throw shooter, he missed to clutch freebies that allowed the Rockets to win the game and ultimately the Championship.

9. Hersey Hawkins
Hawkins is a player most have forgotten about, but he was a formidable scorer and a one time All-star. Hawkins was the team leader for the Sixers after they traded Charles Barkley averaging 20 points a game for three seasons before going to Charlotte and taking the job as a role player. Hawkins was always a solid role player and in 1996 he was a key player on the Seattle Sonics team which made the NBA finals.

8. Joe Dumars
The nice guy on the bad-boy Pistons, Dumars became the hero of the 1989 NBA finals where he captured the MVP trophy. Dumars was a six time NBA all-star and retired from the Pistons in 1999 to take a job in the front office. He was elected to the NBA Hall-Of-Fame in 2006.

7. Latrell Sprewell
One of the most talented players of the 90s, Sprewell had attitude problems which hurt his on the floor performance; most notably being when in 1998 he choked his head coach PJ Carlisimo. Despite these short comings, Sprewell was a solid player making the All-star team four time and making the all NBA team in 1994. Sprewell was awesome part of the 1999 New York Knicks which were an eight seed that made a run to the NBA finals only to lose to the Spurs.

6. Jeff Hornacek
A deadeye shooter who twice won the NBA

HylianNightmare
03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Did you forget to log into your real account?

knightfall88
03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
so basically you're saying MJ had no competition

HardwoodLegend
03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Did you forget to log into your real account?

No.

Right now, he's trying to sell the idea that Jordan had weak comp at his position.

ProfessorMurder
03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I think it's more like:

10. Vernon Maxwell
9. Kobe
8. Kobe
7. Kobe
6. Kobe
5. Kobe
4. Kobe
3. Kobe
2. Kobe
1. Kobe

tmacattack33
03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I think you forgot about Eddie Jones.

PJR
03-04-2013, 10:20 PM
http://nbahoopsonline.com/Articles/90sg10.html

Nice copy and paste bro.

ZHAKIDD532
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Kobe? AI?

ZaaaaaH
03-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Nice copy and paste bro.

LOL :applause: :applause: :applause:

LOL

:facepalm

KOBE143
03-04-2013, 10:32 PM
vs top 10 SG of the 00's

1. Kobe

2. AI
3. TMac
4. Vince Carter
5. DWade
6. Ray Allen
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Rip Hamilton
9. Joe Johnson
10. Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry, Jason Richardson, Jason Terry, Richard Jefferson, etc...

:confusedshrug:

Ne 1
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Clyde Drexler and Mitch Richmond were obviously better than Miller.

You could even make a case for players like Drazen Petrovic, Joe Dumars, Hersey Hawkins and Jeff Hornacek and Spreewell being better during the 90s.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-04-2013, 10:34 PM
No.

Right now, he's trying to sell the idea that Jordan had weak comp at his position.
Thanks. I didn't catch that.

Whoah10115
03-04-2013, 10:41 PM

You could even make a case for players like Drazen Petrovic, Joe Dumars, Hersey Hawkins and Jeff Hornacek and Spreewell being better during the 90s.

You cannot make a case for any of those guys below Clyde and Richmond being better than Miller.

Hornacek, in any way...the other 3, not for the full body of work. And that full body of work (which includes the playoffs) is why Miller is ahead of both Richmond and Drexler. Drexler spent more than half of his great years in the 80's.

And while it may not be Richmond's fault that his teams sucked, he didn't get to do his thing in the playoffs. And thru the 90's Miller was one of the best players in the league in the playoffs.

KOBE143
03-04-2013, 10:44 PM
top 10 sg all time

1a. MJ
1b. Kobe
2. Jerry West
3. AI
4. DWade
5. Cyde Drexler
6. George Gervin
7. Pete Maravich
8. Ray Allen
9. Vince Carter
10. TMac

6 from the 00's
2 from the 90's
3 from the other era

:applause:

plowking
03-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Yep. Richmond and Drexler were both definitely better, as well as Petrovic and Sprewell. All these guys definitely had better peaks than Miller.

The rest I don't agree with in terms of peak play.

PrettyCool
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
No.

WTF are you talking about. Everybody on that list would be elite SG's in this era.

LongLiveTheKing
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM

Nice copy and paste bro.
:roll:

G-train
03-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Sprewell was a better player than Starks.

L.Kizzle
03-04-2013, 10:54 PM
top 10 sg all time

1a. MJ
1b. Kobe
2. Jerry West
3. AI
4. DWade
5. Cyde Drexler
6. George Gervin
7. Pete Maravich
8. Ray Allen
9. Vince Carter
10. TMac

6 from the 00's
2 from the 90's
3 from the other era

:applause:
That's actually 7 from the 90s.

Wally450
03-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Didn't OP make a thread a couple weeks ago admitting he was too young to see Jordan play?

Edit: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242452

j3lademaster
03-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Nice copy and paste bro.At least he did MJ's description on his own.:rolleyes:

CHi1PriDe
03-05-2013, 01:41 AM

Nice copy and paste bro.

Lol smfh. Trying hard to get some credibility about 90s bball but failed miserably :oldlol: :facepalm :roll:

03-05-2013, 01:49 AM

Nice copy and paste bro.

Nice find. :lol

I am familiar somewhat with OP's "voice" and the actual sounds nothing like his usual other posts.

plowking
03-05-2013, 02:41 AM
That's actually 7 from the 90s.

They're the 2000 generation. All of their best years came in the 2000's. Spent most of the time playing in that era too.

CHi1PriDe
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
wsup OP?

Dragonyeuw
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
No.

What's funny is that 40 year old Jordan held his own against the 2000's guards, but we're supposed to believe that somehow prime MJ wouldn't dominate against them. There are 3-4 players who would have given him some problems defensively, Kobe, A.I and prime Tmac on offense, maybe Wade.But the catch is they have to guard him too..... Vince wasn't mentally tough enough to withstand getting lit up on offense by prime MJ. Kobe and MJ would have been epic....

Clifton
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Wow, I will say, that is a much weaker era for that position than the 00s. It wasn't just the rule changes. (Jordan would still absolutely trounce all SGs from the 00s, for sure; don't get me wrong. He'd make Kobe look like a JV player (a guy who can't be effective against Tayshaun Prince can't be effective against prime MJ), and would run circles around Tmac, who wouldn't have been playing hard enough to keep up with his off-ball movement.)

The "tens" will probably be known for excellence at the SF position. I really doubt the 90s can match our era at that spot.

Of course, the 90s had the great centers. Quash us at the center spot much more than we excel them on the wing.

I'd like to see someone compile a top ten 90s centers list, and see if the best center not on that list wouldn't be the best center in the league right now. (Was Brad Daugherty a top ten C of that decade? Would he be the best in the league today? I think he might.)

Edit: Here's one:

http://nbahoopsonline.com/Articles/90C10.html

It falls off after Mutombo. Dwight would probably be 7 on the list.

Teanett
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
spreewell was better than starks, c'mon.

Dragonyeuw
03-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Clyde, Richmond, Miller, Spreewell would pretty much be today what they were 15-20 years ago. I mean, seriously, someone like Joe Johnson was considered top 6 SG at one point. We really gonna act like he was better than the guys above, especially Clyde,Richmond and Miller?

9erempiree
03-05-2013, 03:33 PM
No.

I'm living in your mind rent free.

I love how I got the power to post something and you think of me.

Poetry
03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Few off the top of my head that were good in the 90's: Steve Smith, Jerry Stackhouse, Jim Jackson, Allan Houston.

There were a lot of guys who were winding down in the late 80s whose career overlapped into the early 90s too, as well as combo players that were somewhere between PG/SG or SG/SF.

baller562
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Gotta put Eddie Jones somewhere too... lol maybe i'm biased, was a huge fan of his in the 90s

gengiskhan
03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I think it's more like:

10. Vernon Maxwell
9. Kobe
8. Kobe
7. Kobe
6. Kobe
5. Kobe
4. Kobe
3. Kobe
2. Clyde
1. MJ

corrected

gengiskhan
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
WTF are you talking about. Everybody on that list would be elite SG's in this era.

easily.

1999 rules change benefitted the '00 decade big time.

NO hand check resulted in scoring leaders like AI, Kobe, Wade, T-mac.

Game got much easier for PERIMETER friendly SGs. to top it off EMPTY PAINT AREA & EXTREME SHORTAGE of Big Men

gengiskhan
03-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Few off the top of my head that were good in the 90's: Steve Smith, Jerry Stackhouse, Jim Jackson, Allan Houston.

There were a lot of guys who were winding down in the late 80s whose career overlapped into the early 90s too, as well as combo players that were somewhere between PG/SG or SG/SF.

Chris Mullin was terrific SG by only played offense.

Glenn Rice was terrific SG too & very good shooter.

Jerry Stackhouse was more made out for '00 era like AI & Wade. He was just born in a wrong decade.

John Starks would do wonders in today's era. He could penetrate easily. He could shoot. very good defender & had unlimited energy.

Starks vs Wade would be an unbelievable match up. Both almost equal in height. Starks could take physical blows. but match-up will be almost equal.

Drazen Petrovic is a real tragedy. I cannot imagine Kobe holding his own against an unbelievable shooter like Petro. & also he was rated as the best euro player of his times.

Kobe vs Petro shootout. I dont see Kobe winning it. Petro was head strong as hell. quite physical & pull the trigger from anywhere & could penetrate at will. & his shots from long range were always MONEY.

G-train
03-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Chris Mullin was terrific SG by only played offense.

Glenn Rice was terrific SG too & very good shooter.

they both were primarily 3 men

Crystallas
03-05-2013, 09:12 PM
More like:

10. Nick Anderson
9. Steve Smith
8. John Starks
7. Kobe Bryant
6. Latrell Sprewell
5. Reggie Miller
4. Joe Dumars
3. Mitch Richmond
2. Clyde Drexler
1. Michael Jordan

G-train
03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
More like:

10. Nick Anderson
9. Danny Manning
8. John Starks
7. Kobe Bryant
6. Latrell Sprewell
5. Reggie Miller
4. Joe Dumars
3. Mitch Richmond
2. Clyde Drexler
1. Michael Jordan

Manning was a forward..

Crystallas
03-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Manning was a forward..

:facepalm on me. I thought I copied Steve Smith LOL

Poetry
03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
We forgot Isaiah Rider.

jstern
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Just thinking about the Knicks, Sprewell was better than Starks, which shows how ignorant the list is. And Allan Houston is not in the list. Mitch Richmond was better than Miller. Kobe, Iverson and Ray Allen also played in the 90s, and you made a thread titled "I was too young to watch Michael Jordan."

Cali Syndicate
03-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Allan Houston :applause:

One of my all-time favorites

CavaliersFTW
03-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Nice copy and paste bro.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Miserio
03-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Wow, I will say, that is a much weaker era for that position than the 00s. It wasn't just the rule changes. (Jordan would still absolutely trounce all SGs from the 00s, for sure; don't get me wrong. He'd make Kobe look like a JV player (a guy who can't be effective against Tayshaun Prince can't be effective against prime MJ), and would run circles around Tmac, who wouldn't have been playing hard enough to keep up with his off-ball movement.)

The "tens" will probably be known for excellence at the SF position. I really doubt the 90s can match our era at that spot.

Of course, the 90s had the great centers. Quash us at the center spot much more than we excel them on the wing.

I'd like to see someone compile a top ten 90s centers list, and see if the best center not on that list wouldn't be the best center in the league right now. (Was Brad Daugherty a top ten C of that decade? Would he be the best in the league today? I think he might.)

Edit: Here's one:

http://nbahoopsonline.com/Articles/90C10.html

It falls off after Mutombo. Dwight would probably be 7 on the list.

1- Hakeem
2- Shaq
3- Ewing
4- Robinson
5- Mutombo
6- Brad
7- Vlade
8- Smits
9- Seikaly
10- Willis

Honorable mention (Sabonis)

NBASTATMAN
03-06-2013, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=9erempiree] 10. Nick Anderson
A player whose appearance on this list may surprise many. Anderson was never an all-star or all NBA player but he was a solid shooting guard who contributed to many very good Orlando Magic teams. He made an appearance in the NBA Finals, and the hall of shame in 1995 where despite being a very good free throw shooter, he missed to clutch freebies that allowed the Rockets to win the game and ultimately the Championship.

9. Hersey Hawkins
Hawkins is a player most have forgotten about, but he was a formidable scorer and a one time All-star. Hawkins was the team leader for the Sixers after they traded Charles Barkley averaging 20 points a game for three seasons before going to Charlotte and taking the job as a role player. Hawkins was always a solid role player and in 1996 he was a key player on the Seattle Sonics team which made the NBA finals.

8. Joe Dumars
The nice guy on the bad-boy Pistons, Dumars became the hero of the 1989 NBA finals where he captured the MVP trophy. Dumars was a six time NBA all-star and retired from the Pistons in 1999 to take a job in the front office. He was elected to the NBA Hall-Of-Fame in 2006.

7. Latrell Sprewell
One of the most talented players of the 90s, Sprewell had attitude problems which hurt his on the floor performance; most notably being when in 1998 he choked his head coach PJ Carlisimo. Despite these short comings, Sprewell was a solid player making the All-star team four time and making the all NBA team in 1994. Sprewell was awesome part of the 1999 New York Knicks which were an eight seed that made a run to the NBA finals only to lose to the Spurs.

6. Jeff Hornacek
A deadeye shooter who twice won the NBA

Whoah10115
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
People don't appreciate how good of a passer and playmaker John Starks was. Too bad Riley didn't reign him in or, I don't know, keep a real PG (Mark Jackson). Our team was almost too good.

Drazen was better than all of them except mj and clyde

He didn't play enough.

1- Hakeem
2- Shaq
3- Ewing
4- Robinson
5- Mutombo
6- Brad
7- Vlade
8- Smits
9- Seikaly
10- Willis

Honorable mention (Sabonis)

Kevin Willis was a PF.

andgar923
03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
I think the biggest difference between the 2s of the past vs today is they were less overall creators for the most part.

There wasn't as many players that were one on one players like today, players that could either create their own shot or for others. There was many specialized players tho. Players that were either defenders or shooters. That era focused on big men more than anything,

Now, not to say Gerald Wilkins could simply be left wide open because he was known as defensive specliaist, but he couldn't create a shot like say Stack or VC. You still had to guard them, because they had the ability to go for 20 on limited touches.

If most of the players mentioned played under today's rules, their numbers would be more inflated and some people would have their careers skyrocket such as Kendall Gill.

HurricaneKid
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
top 10 sg all time
1a. MJ
1b. Kobe

:oldlol: :lol

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:wtf:

Rysio
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
i used to think op was a kobe fan but now im having doubts. no kobe in the top 10? gtfo kobe easily top 5 sg in th 90s even as a 16 year old rookie. :facepalm

Poetry
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
i used to think op was a kobe fan but now im having doubts. no kobe in the top 10? gtfo kobe easily top 5 sg in th 90s even as a 16 year old rookie. :facepalm

He plagiarized that list from someone else.

A better list would break the 90s down into thirds, so that 80s/90s players, mid-90s, 90s/00s could all be accounted for.

Otherwise players like Jeff Malone, Reggie Lewis, Ricky Pierce, a young Ron Harper, just to cite a few examples, get completely ignored.

willds09
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
I think you forgot about Eddie Jones.
:roll:

willds09
03-06-2013, 03:53 PM
top ten no order: MJ, IVERSON, SPREWELL, HOUSTON, STARKS, MILLER, RICHMOND, KOBE, DREXLER, HORNACEK