PDA

View Full Version : Hornets defending the wrong basket down 2 under a minute left. is this real life?

kennethgriffin
03-07-2013, 03:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIprRLpFbWE

i missed the game tonight. had to watch the replay. has this ever happend before?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AirTupac
03-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Elementary school mistake.

andremiller07
03-07-2013, 03:13 AM
Wow......:roll:

9erempiree
03-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Too bad you missed the game fool. It was excellent as usual by Kobe.

When they lined up like that, I was thinking to myself that D'antoni can't be that stupid unless he got something up his sleeves.

I watched it again and before the play, the Lakers had 6 guys on the floor and they were acting all confused and Dwight and Metta ran off and Metta got back in.

I think they purposely got too many people on the floor to fool distract the Hornets. Right after the ref gave the ball to Blake they immediately ran the play. Too bad the replay didn't see the Lakers with 6 guys on the court.

D'antoni was smiling after the play.

Genius by D'antoni and can't believe I'm saying this.

bingo123
03-07-2013, 03:16 AM
LOL wasnt expecting that.

Lebron23
03-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Thy need to sign a veteran player in the off season. Hornets needs a leader.

AussieG
03-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Were the Hornets players high?

kennethgriffin
03-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Too bad you missed the game fool. It was excellent as usual by Kobe.

When they lined up like that, I was thinking to myself that D'antoni can't be that stupid unless he got something up his sleeves.

I watched it again and before the play, the Lakers had 6 guys on the floor and they were acting all confused and Dwight and Metta ran off and Metta got back in.

I think they purposely got too many people on the floor to fool distract the Hornets. Right after the ref gave the ball to Blake they immediately ran the play. Too bad the replay didn't see the Lakers with 6 guys on the court.

seems kinda bushleague to even attempt such a thing though...you only see elementary school coaches even draw up stuff like that.

like the kid who said "wrong football coach" and he runs a touchdown while all the kids are like "da fuq :confusedshrug:

Doranku
03-07-2013, 03:19 AM
And if you watch the previous play, it was Kobe who called the timeout which led to that dunk.

Godbe. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

maybeshewill13
03-07-2013, 03:20 AM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Droid101
03-07-2013, 03:21 AM

D'antoni is a great offensive coach. That much we know he can do.

Defense on the other hand...

MMM
03-07-2013, 03:22 AM
in 20 years of watching the NBA i haven't seen anything like that
:roll:

SevereUpInHere
I lost it when this happened. :oldlol: :oldlol:

Love the youtube comments.

Go home Hornets, you are drunk

kennethgriffin
and unlike lebron fans. i won't ignore an obvious travel by my fav player

catches ball at mid court. 1 dribble... dunk

:lol :lol :roll: :roll:

d.bball.guy
I was confused during that play :lol I've never seen such thing that I was extremely surprised when Kobe ran to the other side

9erempiree
03-07-2013, 03:23 AM
D'antoni is a great offensive coach. That much we know he can do.

Defense on the other hand...

I wouldn't credit him too much for that play but it was clever.

I wished there was a replay when 6 guys were on the floor. So you guys can watch how that play fooled the Hornets. Organized confusion.

I thought the Lakers were going to get a violation like too many men in a huddle.

bdreason
03-07-2013, 03:24 AM
That play doesn't make any sense. No defense would ever defend an inbounds play like that.

9erempiree
03-07-2013, 03:25 AM
That play doesn't make any sense. No defense would ever defend an inbounds play like that.

There were more to it than that. Like I said, the replay didn't show the confusion that was going on and it facked with the Hornets.

Lebron23
03-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Veteran move by Kobe againts the team that drafted him.

MMM
03-07-2013, 03:33 AM
Veteran move by Kobe againts the team that drafted him.

if Kobe stayed on Cha, The Hornets probably stay in Cha and we don't have the Bobcats. Also when katrina happened the hornets don't play a year in OKC so maybe the Sonics would still be in Sea or maybe they would of moved else where :confusedshrug:

9erempiree
03-07-2013, 03:34 AM
if Kobe stayed on Cha, The Hornets probably stay in Cha and we don't have the Bobcats. Also when katrina happened the hornets don't play a year in OKC so maybe the Sonics would still be in Sea or maybe they would of moved else where :confusedshrug:

Godbe works in mysterious ways.

kennethgriffin
03-07-2013, 03:34 AM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/gfregv_zps81d2d3db.png

:roll: :applause: :bowdown:

lebron'esq

unreal amount of traveling kobe... good job LOL

Young X
03-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Tanking.

maybeshewill13
03-07-2013, 03:37 AM

LOL! He took two steps before even dribbling the ****ing ball! :biggums: Kobe confusing the rules.. you get two steps at the END, not the beginning :no:

Gabuyaux
03-07-2013, 03:39 AM

lebron'esq

how can the 2nd and 3rd step be with the same foot?

bdreason
03-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Elementary school mistake.

Elementary kids don't make that mistake.

Hornets coach should be fined or suspended for that embarrassing defense.

ProfessorMurder
03-07-2013, 03:44 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/iz9a2a.jpg

That's just... I don't even...

Clutch
03-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Weirdest play of the year.

Hornets :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rubio2Gasol
03-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Good play by D'Antoni - he counted on the Hornets wanting to deny or go for the steal so he loaded the back court. If felt as though they should have just defended the possession or more naturally foul Dwight until he goes to the line, but down 2 with 20 seconds it ain't uncommon to go for the steal.

Giving up a 20 point lead to one dude in the last 6 minutes with Dwight Howard on the floor is absolutely stupid though. The majority of Laker losses are sealed with Dwight at the line in the 4th.

senelcoolidge
03-07-2013, 04:14 AM
It's called tanking the season. The Warriors did this last season. They had games in hand and just gave them away. Sad. Am sure laker fans are thrilled, this is actually sad.

DMV2
03-07-2013, 04:19 AM
More reasons to contract the Hornets. :oldlol:

G-Funk
03-07-2013, 05:11 AM
Shaqtin' a fool!

qrich
03-07-2013, 05:40 AM
No clue why a D would stack up on the court that way, but it is what it is and way to take advantage of weird decision making and no whistles :applause:

Wish the Hornets wouldn't be tanking so hard, but hey, they are going to be disgusting next year with Gordon and Davis both being ready to go (no more sitting EJ out with an "injury") and another top 7 pick. Vasquez, Lopez and Anderson are nice complimentary pieces as well, to boot. And if they keep Aminu, he can be a nice utility guy for them.

Top 6 in the West next season for the Pelicans with both LA sides, OKC, San Ant & Memphis :bowdown:

Done_And_Done
03-07-2013, 06:25 AM
It's called tanking the season. The Warriors did this last season. They had games in hand and just gave them away. Sad. Am sure laker fans are thrilled, this is actually sad.

This is most certainly NOT a display of tanking. No possible way the Pelicans embarrass themselves like this in front of millions on purpose. You're on point about it being sad though...

devin112
03-07-2013, 06:29 AM
I can't believe the Hornets coach didn't pick up on that. No reason to have all 5 of your guys in the Lakers back court. Wow, who ever their coach is, he should be fired.

no pun intended
03-07-2013, 06:36 AM
This.

Scoooter
03-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Very clever.

dbugz
03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Why the fck are their Center and their PF on that side of the court? :lol

Let your guards handle that side of the defensive court and be the primary defensive line against a possible fast break :confusedshrug:

That is basketball 101. That coach needs to be fired.

coin24
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

ThaRegul8r
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM

bagelred
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Obviously, it looks hilarious...but not nearly as bad as it looks. The Hornets goal was to try to steal the inbounds pass. Because even if Lakers simply inbound, Hornets are going to have to foul right away anyway or Lakers can run out the clock.....so it'll be a foul and 2 makes anyway...probably down by 4...same situation.

So Hornets were so overaggressive in preventing inbounds, they let an easy basket go. Like an all-out blitz in football. If blitz doesn't work, good chance of a touchdown....same thing.

Credit the lakers, because that was clearly a designed play as Kobe is sprinting immediately towards the basket and Blake is looking for him.

andgar923
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Wow!!!

Just2McFly
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Tanking isn't playing the game hard and having a close to 20 point lead just to throw it away.

they should be ashamed

Hittin_Shots
03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Tanking isn't playing the game hard and having a close to 20 point lead just to throw it away.

they should be ashamed

What makes that not tanking? They show they can play well then don't get the points for the game. Sounds like tanking to me

qrich
03-07-2013, 10:56 AM

they should be ashamed

There have been more than a handful of times when the Hornets have a decent lead (4-12 points) and have the bench in. Opposing team goes on a run but Monty refused to call a time-out or put his starters back in to try to protect the lead or get it back.

raprap
03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
SO disappointed at Monty Williams :facepalm

plowking
03-07-2013, 12:41 PM

It wasn't a travel.

Some of you don't seem to understand that its when you gather the ball in your hand, that you are already in a step, and it doesn't actually count. Film yourself doing a layup full speed and you'll see for yourself.
Its like when you're dribbling the ball. You might take a few steps in between a dribble, but if you're running full pace, its natural.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-07-2013, 12:45 PM
It wasn't a travel.

Some of you don't seem to understand that its when you gather the ball in your hand, that you are already in a step, and it doesn't actually count. Film yourself doing a layup full speed and you'll see for yourself.
Its like when you're dribbling the ball. You might take a few steps in between a dribble, but if you're running full pace, its natural.

This. I also lol'd at the "2nd and 3rd step" being w/ the same foot. Idiot. :oldlol:

pegasus
03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
They also defended only one side of the basket (literally, all five of them were on the right side) one or two possessions prior to that, and it resulted in a Their coach is wide an idiot! open 3 by Meeks. It made history as the first "technical" 3-point shot in the NBA.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
you got plenty of games to tank, hornets wanted this game.

kennethgriffin
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
bump for batz

L.A. Jazz
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
They also defended only one side of the basket (literally, all five of them were on the right side). one or two possessions prior to that, and it resulted in a [open 3 by Meeks. It made history as the first "technical" 3-point shot in the NBA.

right! thats flat out disgusting. :lol

:biggums:

Pointguard
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
They should be fined. Or have an automatic forfeit of a top three pick based on profound stupidity beyond tanking. Even the Washington Generals don't go full stupid. Somebody should have planked under Kobe to make it seem like the joke it was. And like Pegasus said two plays before that they setting picks against each other on one side of the court so Meeks could hit a three on the other side of the court - like you couldn't tell their intent at all. This is not blooper material, its pooper stupor material. Geeesch

ILLsmak
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
that's funny. I didn't even see that...

-Smak

flipogb
03-07-2013, 03:57 PM
first team entry into Shaqtin' A Fool

stevieming
03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
It wasn't a travel.

I thought he travelled when he caught the ball at the beginning, run a step then dribbled.

Chris Paul often takes two three steps in between dribble 1 and dribble 2, no on ever calls it. Indeed at full flight, you can't even tell until you see it in slow mo.

SevereUpInHere
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM

lebron'esq

Is it just me or are the 1st and 2nd step before the dribble both his left foot?

Regardless, funniest thing I've seen on court this year.

daily
03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
It can't.