PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider is awesome

niko
03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
if you like Uncharted, this is basically Uncharted with everything done better.

Thorpesaurous
03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
if you like Uncharted, this is basically Uncharted with everything done better.

I was just coming in here to make this thread.

I had it pre-ordered and picked it up on the fifth. I didn't want to jump the gun on liking it because I felt like I did that with Dead Space3, and then it's shortcomings wore on me to the point where I stopped playing it.

But I'm now three days into it, and it's at a point where I'm looking forward to leaving work just to go home and play.

The similarities between it and Uncharted are obvious. To be fair, I'm of an age where the first Tomb Raider is a seminal gaming experience for me. Right up there with the original Zelda and Metroid and Resident Evil. So I have a soft spot for Lara, although I definitely lost touch over the years. My interest in Uncharted always stemmed from the fact that it felt like a remake of Tomb Raider.

I'm healthily into the third section of the island. Then I started backtracking a little to beef up a bit. In fact that ability to go backward to track down secrets in an area you've already beaten is a really nice touch.

It's enough different from Uncharted that I'm not sure I'd say it's better. So far my feeling about what Uncharted does better is I think the movement is better in UC (that's pretty much true vs. any game), and I think the camera is set better, which is sort of related.

What I like about this is the things they've added to the formula. The elements of leveling up are a really nice touch, both to the equipment and the character. And using the different elements of points for each. The equipment upgrades by finding "salvage", which is physical material found in boxes or from kills, while the character leveling goes up with XP, based on finding secrets, or achieving certain types of kills, etc.

And so far the levels have had a really great layout. They're really mini open worlds. 3D playgrounds filled with things to climb and jump to. With enough little secrets to find, you really have a motive to explore, and not just head straight to the finish line. Exploring behooves you because it provides all those XP and salvage things you want to perk yourself up. Each level is really a puzzle unto itself.

I like how natural the cover works. You run up to something, and she takes cover. Was that so hard? I'm not crazy about the standard aiming like it's a shooter, I'm more into the adventure element of the thing. But it's not a big deal. I so far find the movement a little clunkier than I'd hoped. For an open setting game, it is very pinned in by pricker bushes and spiked fences, that in spots kind of push you in a direction more than I'd hoped. It only bothers me because I spend so much time digging around for nooks and crannies. But I'll probably be less bothered by it as I move along and get a better feel for the landscape. And a little too much quicktime so far, but not to the point where it bothers me.

A really excellent game to this point.

glidedrxlr22
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
^I saw you were playing last night Thorpe and was hoping you'd post your impressions. Thanks for the details. I'm gonna pick this up as soon as I'm done with Farcry 3.

Of all the Tombraider games, I only completed the first one. That was quite a unique experience. You had to be methodical in your movements or face death.

Thorpesaurous
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
^I saw you were playing last night Thorpe and was hoping you'd post your impressions. Thanks for the details. I'm gonna pick this up as soon as I'm done with Farcry 3.

Of all the Tombraider games, I only completed the first one. That was quite a unique experience. You had to be methodical in your movements or face death.

It's a little less stressfull than those originals. I only played the first three I think. But there was an element of carefull platforming, where if you screwed something up you'd die and have to go back to try again. This is more of a spiraling vertical thing I've gotten so far, so it's more like if you don't make it you may fall to another area and have to try again.

From what I've read, it's more combat based the previous installments, which is just sort of the nature of gaming. But between this and Uncharted which I'd both classify as Action/Adventure, I'd say Uncharted's slider leans a little more toward Action, while this leans a bit more toward Adventure.

To be fair this game is really right up my alley. The exploration element of games is a huge factor for me for some reason.

Rose
03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Uncharted you say?!?!?

Now I can't decide if I want to wait for the inevitable price drop to 40, or immediately purchase

ihoopallday
03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah alot of Youtube commentators have great reviews for this game. Gonna go rent it this weekend and check it out myself

Thorpesaurous
03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
So the further I've gotten the more I've liked it. It's really opening up the playing area in a way similar to what the original Resident evil did in the house. There are things in level three (which sort of serves as a hub to the whole island it seems), which you can't obtain until you get your hands on a certain perk or upgrade. So there have been doors left closed, gates I couldn't get through, mountainsides I couldn't scale.
But after picking the area dry, and finally deciding to press forward because I couldn't get to such and such an area after exploring all options, I found an upgrade that allowed me to get there. So you finish that area, then head back to the hub, which the levels seem to spit you toward anyway, and start strip mining it again.
And like RE, there are those aha moments when I make it through a door and find I was just on the other side of a door I had been trying to get through from the opposite side just a day ago. Then as I've upgraded I've gone back to levels one and two which are now stripped bare of enemies, and picked them over for access to more secrets I may have been unable to reach previously.

The whole thing has been pretty rewarding for me anyway.

Thorpesaurous
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Finished it last night. I'm heading back in to try to 100% each area. Going base camp to base camp shows me short in only two areas, but I think there might be a few smaller areas that don't have base camps that I'm not seeing. Either way I feel like I did a pretty bang up job tearing up the sets, and I did so without any internet aid to this point.

My initial reaction holds true. Not quite on Uncharted's level for the action and set pieces, but a similar feel, and a much more open world type of feel, although split up into seperate areas. A very good story on the Uncharted level. The voice acting not quite up to par, although Lara is superb, none of the other characters are close to Sully, Chloe, and Co., from Uncharted. And the upgradability of skills and weapons was a really great touch. I just finished all the upgrades at the very end, and considering my completionist seek out approach to playing, probably indicates that it may require a second play through in order to fully maximize all the goodies for most players. My favorite game in a while.

glidedrxlr22
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
^Good to hear. I have a few more days of playing God of War Ascension. Then I'm off to do some Tomb Raidering! It seems this game turned out better than I expected. :applause:

Thorpesaurous
03-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I did finish up all the areas last night, but it did require a few internet tips.

My only gripe now is I'd like to replay it with all my weapons beefed up, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Rose
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
all the dlc is gonna be multiplayer based one of the execs announced, of the ones they had planned anyways. Which is good or bad depending on your thoughts about campaign dlc.

How many hours did you spend trying to beat it Thorpe?

Thorpesaurous
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
all the dlc is gonna be multiplayer based one of the execs announced, of the ones they had planned anyways. Which is good or bad depending on your thoughts about campaign dlc.

How many hours did you spend trying to beat it Thorpe?

I'd guess 20-25 hours. I'll check for sure when I get home. But I'd say maybe up to half of that was spent obsessive compulsively rooting around levels for secrets before moving forward. Then again those secrets give you the XP you need to upgrade your weapons, so if you don't do that, you may wind up spending more time trying to beat the mission based elements of it because you won't have much firepower.

I gave the online multiplayer a shot the other night. I didn't see any campaign based multiplayer, and I was looking because I'm really not a fan of online competitive multiplayer. The only online stuff I've ever gotten into was Uncharted II's campaign stuff. If that's what the DLC turns out to be, it'd at least spark my interest, even though I may or may not buy it.

And this doesn't belong here, but has anyone gotten any of the DLC for Sleeping Dogs? I really enjoyed that game, and there appears to be a few additional mission type add ons out there. Some sort of zombie thing? Another about a car? Something about hidden cash packages?
There also appears to be a bunch of shit out there too. Like charging me 3 bucks so I can wear a George St. Pierre T-Shirt in the game. That sort of thing doesn't interest me much. But more levels I might do if anyone could tell me if they're any good.

pauk
03-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Fantastic game, great gameplay, story, puzzles, combat and graphics are very decent on my high-end PC.... the only thing i could find which someone could maybe whine about is if you are not a huge fan of QTE (Quick Time Events)... "Press this and this if you dont want this rock in your face!"

Rose
03-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Having a ball playing this game. I'm halfway through it and really don't have any complaints. I like how the side tombs are all physics puzzles.

Also didn't realize I could upgrade my weapons till I was at the radio tower. Had almost 2K in wreckage before I saw that it was unlocked made the game a bit easier.

jcsrplumply
04-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Really great game in my opinion :).
But it doesn't feel like a Tomb Raider game but nevertheless a great game..
I wish the tomb raiding puzzles are harder though, it feels like even my 3 years old cousin can solve that.:yaohappy:

Rose
04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Great game, best I've played in awhile. I sucked ass at getting the GPS things though. I didn't even get 50% of them during the campaign, I got almost 75% on documents during the campaign, I was one shy.

It seems like a challenge to finish leveling up your character though. Because I've been killing pretty much every guy I see but they're so few and far between that even finishing up three of the areas I've still got almost 2 full levels yet.

Granted I have three tombs as well but still.

glidedrxlr22
04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm a little over half done with this game. It's been great so far. It's definitely similar to Uncharted, but it doesn't feel like a clone. It creates its own identity. Uncharted is more colorful and lighter in tone. Tomb Raider is grittier and darker. The cover mechanic and the gun play is better in TR. I would still give the slight nudge to the Uncharted series. After another game or two, I could see the TR series going blow for blow with Uncharted. I totally recommend TR.

Thorpesaurous
04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Great game, best I've played in awhile. I sucked ass at getting the GPS things though. I didn't even get 50% of them during the campaign, I got almost 75% on documents during the campaign, I was one shy.

It seems like a challenge to finish leveling up your character though. Because I've been killing pretty much every guy I see but they're so few and far between that even finishing up three of the areas I've still got almost 2 full levels yet.

Granted I have three tombs as well but still.

It is a challenge to max out the perks. I'm pretty sociopathic about the collectables for some reason. I managed to get to nearly 100% on all the GPS, Letters, and treasure chests on the first go through. Those things give out tons of XP, so they're critical to get in upgrading, because I found all but a couple items and still didn't max out until just before the final level.

Also, if you find the secret tombs, they'll yeild maps that will show you where the GPS's and various other items are. In addition to giving you a ton of XP on their own.

The only thing they won't show you are the level specific bonus challenges, like shooting the dreamcatchers in the first level. Those give you XP too, but they're really hard to find. I managed to close out every level but three on those. One of which I didn't find a single of the items on my own.

Rose
04-11-2013, 01:46 AM
It is a challenge to max out the perks. I'm pretty sociopathic about the collectables for some reason. I managed to get to nearly 100% on all the GPS, Letters, and treasure chests on the first go through. Those things give out tons of XP, so they're critical to get in upgrading, because I found all but a couple items and still didn't max out until just before the final level.

Also, if you find the secret tombs, they'll yeild maps that will show you where the GPS's and various other items are. In addition to giving you a ton of XP on their own.

The only thing they won't show you are the level specific bonus challenges, like shooting the dreamcatchers in the first level. Those give you XP too, but they're really hard to find. I managed to close out every level but three on those. One of which I didn't find a single of the items on my own.
I maxed out the perks, surprisingly easily after I made that post.:lol

Now though I've got to max out the weapons. I thought I only had the shotgun left, but apparently I was missing a rifle part and that added two more things. I can't find anyone else to shoot for salvage, and I usually scour the areas pretty thoroughly. and to finish maxing out I need 1K. Maybe there will be some story DLC later on that'll get me closer. Because it's not worth the hassle right now of scavenging animals for awhile.

Beat all the tombs, got all the documents, GPS caches, and artifacts. Just have the challenges left. I'm with you on the challenges though, there's I think 4 I didn't finish. The eggs, the mushrooms which I'm pretty sure is goddamn impossible. I cannot find the two I need there at all, the burn the sacks thing mostly because I hate that level (it's the one where there's bodies/limbs everywhere and you shoot tons of gas things), and one other I believe. The one I didn't find at all was the sun things, but I couldn't figure out how to get one of the documents without using youtube so I knocked that out with a friendly video guide took me all of maybe 10 minutes.

Thorpesaurous
04-11-2013, 07:52 AM
I maxed out the perks, surprisingly easily after I made that post.:lol

Now though I've got to max out the weapons. I thought I only had the shotgun left, but apparently I was missing a rifle part and that added two more things. I can't find anyone else to shoot for salvage, and I usually scour the areas pretty thoroughly. and to finish maxing out I need 1K. Maybe there will be some story DLC later on that'll get me closer. Because it's not worth the hassle right now of scavenging animals for awhile.

Beat all the tombs, got all the documents, GPS caches, and artifacts. Just have the challenges left. I'm with you on the challenges though, there's I think 4 I didn't finish. The eggs, the mushrooms which I'm pretty sure is goddamn impossible. I cannot find the two I need there at all, the burn the sacks thing mostly because I hate that level (it's the one where there's bodies/limbs everywhere and you shoot tons of gas things), and one other I believe. The one I didn't find at all was the sun things, but I couldn't figure out how to get one of the documents without using youtube so I knocked that out with a friendly video guide took me all of maybe 10 minutes.

The three I didn't get without help were:

The Sun things, which I frankly didn't even notice until I looked them up. And that's even after beating it and going back because I saw I was missing them, and even looking for them couldn't see them.

The exploding mines on the beach, which I found all but two of. Both of those were in the water, and while watching the video for it on youtube and tracking them down, one of the ones I missed I wound up just shooting in that general direction, because I still couldn't see the thing, even using the survival instinct vision.

And the last one was one you may still be missing, because that area doesn't have a base camp. I know I was checking them by running over the map base camp to base camp because it gives you a breakdown of where you stand in that particular region. But this area doesn't have one.
It's the area off the beach that looks like a mountainside base, with a big window facing out of the side of a mountain over the sea. You need to rope arrow your way over there. The thing you have to find is called something like "former inhabitants". They're posters like they had in another level you have to burn. I got them all myself except for one, and that one was all the way up on a crane beyond the abandoned Jeep, just before you'd rope over to the boat. It's so high up you can barely see it, and you have to hit it with a burning arrow to burn it.

I'm not sure how to tell you to get more salvage. It's probably just crates you're missing. I know I was surprised it took me that long to ramp all the way up.
I'd like to start over from the beginning with all my weapons and go at it really fast, but it doesn't appear to be an option. I noticed there's a trophy for rope arrowing guys and pulling them off ledges, something that never even occurred to me. I'd like to get it, but I don't want to start over completely and have to re-up my weapons.

Rose
04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
The sun things were ridiculous.

I actually got the posters one, but only because when I was going back to get the missing documents I needed I had two in that area. I hated having to go back there. I think I might not have finished the mines one.

Did you get the secret trophy for killing the crab on the beach? Another one is talking to every other person in your group in the campaign. To be honest, I thought you could only talk to two of them, so I missed half the conversations.:lol

Thorpesaurous
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM

I actually got the posters one, but only because when I was going back to get the missing documents I needed I had two in that area. I hated having to go back there. I think I might not have finished the mines one.

Did you get the secret trophy for killing the crab on the beach? Another one is talking to every other person in your group in the campaign. To be honest, I thought you could only talk to two of them, so I missed half the conversations.:lol

I did get the crab trophy.

I'm not sure if I got the one for talking to everyone. I'd guess I talked to everybody, but I'm not positive.

Thorpesaurous
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM

And I got the couple easy poster ones, and a third I just missed, but that one that was up on that tower was absurd.

Shade8780
06-02-2013, 01:35 PM
I've never played a Tomb Raider game before. Do you need to know the story to play this or is this seperate from the other games in the series?

Rose
06-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I've never played a Tomb Raider game before. Do you need to know the story to play this or is this seperate from the other games in the series?
Nope, and it's absolutely terrific game.

This one is basically a prequel.

Shade8780
06-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Nope, and it's absolutely terrific game.

This one is basically a prequel.
Yay!

plowking
01-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Just got this game yesterday, yet to play it, but by the sounds of things, looks good.
Put the PS3 away for a while, though with a pretty bad back injury at the moment, I figured, get the PS3 out, play some games, since I got nothing better to do.

Going to be interesting to play this. Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 are probably 2 of my favourite games ever. I'm actually playing the first one now on Crushing difficulty, so it will be good to see how it compares, although the first one is very much skeletal compared to number 2 and 3 in the Uncharted series.

Is there any trophy about finishing this on a particular difficulty, or should I just play on normal to get a good grasp of the game and story first time around. I will more than likely play this more than once anyway, but if there is a requirement such as finishing hard to unlock an even harder level, then I'd like to get it out of the way.

Le Shaqtus
01-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Just got this game yesterday, yet to play it, but by the sounds of things, looks good.
Put the PS3 away for a while, though with a pretty bad back injury at the moment, I figured, get the PS3 out, play some games, since I got nothing better to do.

Going to be interesting to play this. Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 are probably 2 of my favourite games ever. I'm actually playing the first one now on Crushing difficulty, so it will be good to see how it compares, although the first one is very much skeletal compared to number 2 and 3 in the Uncharted series.

Is there any trophy about finishing this on a particular difficulty, or should I just play on normal to get a good grasp of the game and story first time around. I will more than likely play this more than once anyway, but if there is a requirement such as finishing hard to unlock an even harder level, then I'd like to get it out of the way.

There aren't any difficulty trophies which is weird, but there are a bunch of multiplayer ones which is annoying.

Rose
01-02-2014, 01:01 PM
There aren't any difficulty trophies which is weird, but there are a bunch of multiplayer ones which is annoying.
And the nextgen is gonna have those too.:facepalm

jaydacris
01-02-2014, 06:44 PM
hi rose

konex
07-13-2014, 01:44 AM
Just finished the Definitive Edition and I agree. It's much better than any Uncharted game at everything but fleshing out the side characters.

Cannot wait for the sequel

Ai2death
07-13-2014, 05:51 PM
I would have to disagree with you, although i did love both games, and have pretty much every Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider, while a lot better then the rest of the Tomb Raider games and i'm glad they're heading in a positive direction, was pretty much a slightly worse clone of Uncharted. (Like Watch Dogs is to GTA)

It was also a bit comical how Lara's first kill was so dramatic then 2 seconds latter she is on a mass murdering rampage.
Uncharted is leaps and bounds better at character development and also the relationships between characters.
I feel the shooting mechanics, climbing, cover system, movement is all better in Uncharted.
I did prefer Tomb Raider though for the creepy blood sort of stuff they did, like when under that shack or in that cave with all the bodies, that was a big plus.

It would be awesome if Tomb Raider headed a little bit more towards like survival horror in tombs and stuff.

Rose
07-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I would have to disagree with you, although i did love both games, and have pretty much every Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider, while a lot better then the rest of the Tomb Raider games and i'm glad they're heading in a positive direction, was pretty much a slightly worse clone of Uncharted. (Like Watch Dogs is to GTA)

It was also a bit comical how Lara's first kill was so dramatic then 2 seconds latter she is on a mass murdering rampage.
Uncharted is leaps and bounds better at character development and also the relationships between characters.
I feel the shooting mechanics, climbing, cover system, movement is all better in Uncharted.
I did prefer Tomb Raider though for the creepy blood sort of stuff they did, like when under that shack or in that cave with all the bodies, that was a big plus.

It would be awesome if Tomb Raider headed a little bit more towards like survival horror in tombs and stuff.
I agree with the bolded part. Which is weird because I'm not a big fan of creepy shit usually, but it really showcased how ****ed up the people on that island had become.

Honestly I feel like this Tomb Raider was better than the Uncharted ones. Maybe not the story (although it's very good and respectable). But the tombs were amazing, and a couple were challenging. But I preferred the Tomb Raider controls more than the Uncharted ones. It's just funny because Uncharted obviously borrowed a lot from the Tomb Raider games, then finally we get a good Tomb Raider game that borrows heavily from Uncharted.:lol

Ai2death
07-14-2014, 01:09 AM
I agree with the bolded part. Which is weird because I'm not a big fan of creepy shit usually, but it really showcased how ****ed up the people on that island had become.

Honestly I feel like this Tomb Raider was better than the Uncharted ones. Maybe not the story (although it's very good and respectable). But the tombs were amazing, and a couple were challenging. But I preferred the Tomb Raider controls more than the Uncharted ones. It's just funny because Uncharted obviously borrowed a lot from the Tomb Raider games, then finally we get a good Tomb Raider game that borrows heavily from Uncharted.:lol

I see what you're saying here and i agree completely to a point, Uncharted came out while Tomb Raider was still smashing out the same games, same controls and really going no where fast expect down.

Uncharted came out with a superior control scheme, yeah the basic ideas were Tomb Raideresque, but it was fresh & revitalized.

The tombs on Tomb Raider i thought were nice, but i think the reward at the end of each tomb should have been greater and more meaningful.

Thorpesaurous
07-14-2014, 09:15 AM
It was enough different for me. I do think the jump from Uncharted 1 (which was an awesome game) to 2 (which is an alltimer), made the move to 3 feel a little disappointing. And I loved three, beat it several times, got the platinum trophy, I still believe that even in a vaccuum that 2 is better.

But that sort of lateral feeling we got from 2 to 3 I think made the Tomb Raider reboot feel even fresher. It felt enough different that almost felt like the sequel UC3 was supposed to be.

But again, in a vaccuum, I still think UC3 was better. Mostly because of the story. But the things that make Tomb Raider compete for me was the mazier approach to the game layout, which was awesome. The way we kept adventuring in different areas only to be spit back into that main hub, and then we'd get new tools to make previously unreachable areas reachable. And the upgrades to the weapons and the skills were a really nice touch to me, and something we haven't seen any of in the UC series. That to me were the elements that I liked better than what we've gotten from UC. But the story and character work, along with the animation and combat controls, still make UC just a tick ahead.

Both great games though. Can't wait for both sequels.

Ai2death
07-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I don't want people thinking i hated the game, quote the opposite, i loved it. I'm even one of these people who bought it twice, once on ps3 and once on ps4.

The best bit i reckon was where you come up to the bridge of the final temple and those 2 Samurai kill that dude.

I'm hoping the next Tomb Raider delves further into the mystical mythology sort of stuff. Those were the best bits of this Tomb Raider.

ROCSteady
02-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Got the definitive edition for $7.50 US because of the price and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The ending was one of the most fun endings to a video game I've ever played. Finished the game at 100% with a smidgeon of help.

I used to play the old Playstation versions when I was 11-12 years old so it was probably more rewarding to play this game for those reasons.

Now I'm fiending to play the newest one but will probably wait for the price to go low

JimmyMcAdocious
02-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Can't get into the new one. Maybe just not my type of game.

I will say, though, it's the best looking console game I've played.

Thorpesaurous
02-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Should be in that year end window for the PS4. I am definitely looking forward to it. It'll be interesting coming off of UC4 in April.

Ai2death
02-23-2016, 05:50 PM
I haven't played the new one as i need to wait for it to release on PS$, but for those that have. Does it go with more mythical style story line and tombs? Or is it just guys with guns?

JamesGoblin
02-25-2016, 02:11 PM
RotTR's frst coming was killed by clumsy release overlapping with FO4, the game is likely much better than bad hype induced by low sales it got back then.

Thorpesaurous
12-08-2016, 01:06 PM
I'm now a few hours into the newer one. I'm enjoying the hell out of it again. Really overdoing it with the hunting in the main hub section so I can push my upgrades further along then they probably should be at this point. Clearing out map features. Just the sort of OCD stuff I like without feeling overcooked by some serious RPG. And the action has played well, really love the bow just like last game. Graphically it's right at the top of the spectrum.

The first part of it was a bit tough to get through. The story set up with the flashback and a bit of a puzzle that felt a little too straightforward, but now I seem to be moving. I probably won't even remember that opening. And I'm really not very far in. Just finishing the first populated level. I'm interested enough that I'm certain I'd be much further along if I had more time (work and coaching is brutal so far), but with most of my TV watching stuff drying up for the year end, and hopefully a few shorter days as the holidays approach (schools closing means no basketball practice), I'm hoping I can get a ways into it.

glidedrxlr22
12-08-2016, 04:31 PM
I'm now a few hours into the newer one. I'm enjoying the hell out of it again. Really overdoing it with the hunting in the main hub section so I can push my upgrades further along then they probably should be at this point. Clearing out map features. Just the sort of OCD stuff I like without feeling overcooked by some serious RPG. And the action has played well, really love the bow just like last game. Graphically it's right at the top of the spectrum.

The first part of it was a bit tough to get through. The story set up with the flashback and a bit of a puzzle that felt a little too straightforward, but now I seem to be moving. I probably won't even remember that opening. And I'm really not very far in. Just finishing the first populated level. I'm interested enough that I'm certain I'd be much further along if I had more time (work and coaching is brutal so far), but with most of my TV watching stuff drying up for the year end, and hopefully a few shorter days as the holidays approach (schools closing means no basketball practice), I'm hoping I can get a ways into it.

I've enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm no completionist....so I'm not gonna find everything nor do every challenge tomb. I'm in the last stage. I love the combat vs UC for what you mentioned about the upgrades. Overall, I'm with you...UC wins by a tick.

Thorpesaurous
12-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Finished over the long weekend. I think I'm at 97% on the Geothermal Valley level, and 100% on everything else. I believe I'm missing one challenge, and I never even found it. I looked it up, and I guess it's throwing pumpkins into buckets on the far side of that level. I've got a number of other stupid trophies too, but not quite all of them, and I don't think I'll be hunting for them, because I'll never get them all, because there are a ton of multiplayer trophies.

Overall just an excellent design. I really love the looping back to re-explore old areas. I wish it loaded faster in the fast travel. And it sort of pushes you out of areas completely a little too fast. For example, I thought the Russian Installation would be the main area, but once you get through to the valley, you almost don't need to back. But part of that I'm sure is me going back immediately with every upgrade to find out what I can do now.

Anyway, excellent game. And again feels underrated. Just don't hear much about it. I'd think it'd be a GotY candidate, but I don't know if it's even eligible considering the timed release. I don't know how this shit works anymore. A lot of times it seems the remasters are the best things that come out in a year.

ROCSteady
12-31-2016, 08:18 PM
I got this for Christmas, so fun.

Love this new rendition on the Lara Croft games. There is so much to do and I can explore amazing looking ancient environments while being a fatass on the couch.

nightprowler10
01-03-2017, 03:33 PM
I picked up Tomb Raider (2013) from PSN for $5. I've only gotten maybe an hour into it and it's pretty fun. Seems like a steal at that price.

ROCSteady
01-03-2017, 08:34 PM
It is.

I got it for like $7 a year ago and it was such a fun game, great environments and graphics. Fun to explore, it was a blast.