PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant, where getting a team with 4 HoFers to playoffs gets you 2nd on MVP race

Derivative
03-08-2013, 07:21 PM
This guy is the golden boy of the NBA, first he gets carried by Shaq, then he gets Pau Gasol for free, robs Chris Paul of his 08 MVP, gets Steve Nash and Dwight Howard on his team.

Now he's 2nd on MVP race because leading his 4 HoFer team to the playoffs.

:applause:

TylerOO
03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
I forgot runner up in the MVP matters.

swag2011
03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
This guy is the golden boy of the NBA, first he gets carried by Shaq, then he gets Pau Gasol for free, robs Chris Paul of his 08 MVP, gets Steve Nash and Dwight Howard on his team.

stfu bitch. a team of 4 HOFs that have hardly played together this year? Like steve nash breaking his leg in the 2nd game of the season and missing 20 + games? Or Pau having his foot issues in the beginning and missing like 9 games, then a concussion in january and missing like 5 games, then tearing his plantar fascia and missing about 6 to 8 weeks? Or Dwight Howard coming off back surgery and tearing his labrum, causing him to miss like 5 or so games?

Do you all forget that at the denver game in LA in January, the lakers lost their entire starting frontcourt at the same time? Dwight tore his labrum, jordan hill injured his hip, and pau got a concussion. MWP was playing some center.

I don't think he should be 2nd (that should be KD) but stop acting like these 4 HOFs have played that many games together AND they are still playing at the level that made them HOFs. nash is 40, pau is 33 and kobe is 34 himself.

GreatGreg
03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Kobe Bryant, where not even being seeded in the NBA playoffs gets you second place in the MVP race. :facepalm

He doesn't deserve it this year over LeBron. I don't care what kind of stats he's been putting up. When you're playing with 4 other HOFers, you should be on top of your conference, or at least riding high.

Nezty
03-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Because LeBron isn't doing the same :facepalm

Budadiiii
03-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Bigger travesty than Derrick Rose winning it, and that's saying something. :facepalm

Russell Westbrook's play is probably the main reason, and Kobe is there by default, but still...

Nezty
03-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Kobe Bryant, where not even being seeded in the NBA playoffs gets you second place in the MVP race. :facepalm

He doesn't deserve it this year over LeBron. I don't care what kind of stats he's been putting up. When you're playing with 4 other HOFers, you should be on top of your conference, or at least riding high.

MVP is waterd down. No one knows the meaning anymore, let's just give it to the best player on the best team.

ace23
03-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Thread title should read:

"The NBA, where getting a team with 4 HoFers to playoffs gets you 2nd on MVP race" or something of that nature.

MVBallin2K
03-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Since when do people care about 2nd place? I highly and I say this as Lakers fan, highly doubt Kobe is winning MVP. I highly doubt anyone but Lebron is.

24r2
03-08-2013, 07:34 PM
best player in the game :applause: too bad LA sucked in the beginning of the season otherwise he's a lock on MVP

clayton
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Sad thing is, they aren't even eligible for playoffs yet. :oldlol:

Heavincent
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Kids on ISH love using the "4 HOF's" buzzline. Everyone with a brain knows that the team has been crappy outside of Kobe and Nash. That's just reality.

Kobe is averaging 28/5/6 on 48% shooting and has kept his team in games all year long. I don't know what else he's supposed to do.

Derivative
03-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Thread title should read:

"The NBA, where getting a team with 4 HoFers to playoffs gets you 2nd on MVP race" or something of that nature.

Not the nba, only kobe

ace23
03-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Not the nba, only kobe
How can Kobe be "where" something happens?

crisoner
03-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Don't feed the troll people.

Kobe 4 The Win
03-08-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm so sick of this 4 hall of famers shit.

Steve Nash is 39 f**king years old. He missed a bunch of time early in the year. Now that he's back does he look like the same player to you? The dude hasn't lost a step, he's lost two steps. I'm a huge Steve Nash fan but lets not act like this is 2006 MVP Nash. This is almost 40 and out of the league Nash.

Dwight Howard is coming off of major back surgery and he's torn his labrum. The dude missed a bunch of games and has been way inconsistent at both ends of the floor when he has played. Is Howard playing like a hall of famer right now? No. The dude is a shell of his former self with no indication that he'll ever get back to being what he was.

Pau Gasol has been injured several times and missed months of the season. Even when he is in the lineup they had him coming off of the bench for a time. They've taken him away from the basket and out of his natural position on the floor. He's a facilitator most of the year and they were having him shoot threes for a time! Three pointers?

Never mind that Jordan Hill is out for the year. Never mind that Steve Blake just got back in the lineup after missing almost the whole year. Never mind the coaching change during the season. Kobe Bean Bryant is the only dude on this team that has played at a hall of fame level this year. He should get zero blame for the Lakers poor record. He's playing out of his mind. Where would LA be without him this year? Please dude.

Nezty
03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Kids on ISH love using the "4 HOF's" buzzline. Everyone with a brain knows that the team has been crappy outside of Kobe and Nash. That's just reality.

Kobe is averaging 28/5/6 on 48% shooting and has kept his team in games all year long. I don't know what else he's supposed to do.

Take him out and where do the Lakers end up? Is that not what 'Most Valuable Player' means? I don't think LeBron is deserving the fact that you take him out of the team and the Heat would still be just as dangerous.

Deuce Bigalow
03-08-2013, 07:43 PM
How many minutes did these 4 HOFers play together at the same time this season?

asdf1990
03-08-2013, 07:44 PM

funny thing is if lebron was in place of kobe you would be making 30 threads a day along with the other kobe ******gers on how lebron is barely a top 100 player and he is a choker and blah blah blah. Kobe is a terrible leader thats a fact.

IamRAMBO24
03-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Hey I want Lakers to succeed as much as anybody, but even I can call bullsh*t on Kobe getting the MVP. This must be the first time in history a player not in the top 5 seeds is getting MVP consideration. It could be legit if the Lakers make it to the WCF and the award takes into account the playoffs, but if it's a regular season thing, then there should be no reason Kobe should even be consider MVP.

Legends66NBA7
03-08-2013, 07:46 PM
funny thing is if lebron was in place of kobe you would be making 30 threads a day along with the other kobe ******gers on how lebron is barely a top 100 player and he is a choker and blah blah blah. Kobe is a terrible leader thats a fact.

Actually, after LeBron's performance last season... Heavincent no longer hates on LeBron James.

Nash
03-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Take him out and where do the Lakers end up? Is that not what 'Most Valuable Player' means? I don't think LeBron is deserving the fact that you take him out of the team and the Heat would still be just as dangerous.
Nash
Meeks
MWP
Gasol
Howard

Am I suppose to believe that these guys would struggle if there were no Kobe around? And its not like they made them a top team or something, they are still not a playoff team.

This needs to stop, some people acting as if Gasol, Nash and Howard are some scrubs. Just figure out how to win, former big 3's like Bostons and Miami have figured it out. Everyone including Kobe should start figuring out how to play as a team.

You guys know there is a reason why Lakers fans and pretty much everyone else was in complete chock when Lakers managed to have Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Howard on the same team.

I think all of this is really disrespectful to guys like Durant and CP3 who have been consistent through out the season and been leaders of 2 of the best teams in the league. Especially Durant who's a better player than Kobe at this point.

DonDadda59
03-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Who exactly has him at #2? :confusedshrug:

Anyone who ranks Bean that high has 0 credibility. Even James Harden should be ranked ahead of him :lol

24r2
03-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Nash
Meeks
MWP
Gasol
Howard

Am I suppose to believe that these guys would struggle if there were no Kobe around? And its not like they made them a top team or something, they are still not a playoff team.

This needs to stop, some people acting as if Gasol, Nash and Howard are some scrubs. Just figure out how to win, former big 3's like Bostons and Miami have figured it out. Everyone including Kobe should start figuring out how to play as a team.

You guys know there is a reason why Lakers fans and pretty much everyone else was in complete chock when Lakers managed to have Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Howard on the same team.

I think all of this is really disrespectful to guys like Durant and CP3 who have been consistent through out the season and been leaders of 2 of the best teams in the league. Especially Durant who's a better player than Kobe at this point.

Durant isn't even better than westbrook

9erempiree
03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
LOL @ thinking Dwight is a hall of famer.

There is only 2 hall of famers that Kobe is carrying. Nash and Pau.

Who's the other two?

Nezty
03-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Nash
Meeks
MWP
Gasol
Howard

Read this

Steve Nash is 39 f**king years old. He missed a bunch of time early in the year. Now that he's back does he look like the same player to you? The dude hasn't lost a step, he's lost two steps. I'm a huge Steve Nash fan but lets not act like this is 2006 MVP Nash. This is almost 40 and out of the league Nash.

Dwight Howard is coming off of major back surgery and he's torn his labrum. The dude missed a bunch of games and has been way inconsistent at both ends of the floor when he has played. Is Howard playing like a hall of famer right now? No. The dude is a shell of his former self with no indication that he'll ever get back to being what he was.

Pau Gasol has been injured several times and missed months of the season. Even when he is in the lineup they had him coming off of the bench for a time. They've taken him away from the basket and out of his natural position on the floor. He's a facilitator most of the year and they were having him shoot threes for a time! Three pointers?

Never mind that Jordan Hill is out for the year. Never mind that Steve Blake just got back in the lineup after missing almost the whole year. Never mind the coaching change during the season. Kobe Bean Bryant is the only dude on this team that has played at a hall of fame level this year. He should get zero blame for the Lakers poor record. He's playing out of his mind. Where would LA be without him this year? Please dude.

And then I add, Wade, Bosh, Haslem, Allen, Chalmers, Lewis. Still a great team, especiallly in the East.

SacJB Shady
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
if Kobe is MVP at .500 with 3 hall of famers, then Monta Ellis should be in the discussion too. I can't believe .500 ball is considered MVP status.

DonDadda59
03-08-2013, 08:33 PM

:cry:

The Knicks are the oldest team in NBA history (literally, look it up) and they have been decimated by injury all season long, particularly their front court. Are you seriously going to sit there and argue that Bean should be ahead of Melo in the MVP race?

And since no one answered the first time, I'll ask again... what hack has a guy 'leading' his team to the 9th seed as #2 on the MVP list? :confusedshrug:

imnew09
03-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Mkae this thread when he actually wins it because 2nd place means nothing... :facepalm another great thread by Derivative. You should really learn to derivative yourself from creating such dumb thread.

Euroleague
03-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Who the hell are these 4 hall of famers?

Kobe
Nash
Pau

You can't be serious? FOUR? Howard, Artest, Jamison? Please don't tell me Howard? WTF has Howard done to be a hall of fame player?

gengiskhan
03-08-2013, 08:45 PM

Its really sad. You said it brah!!

Its stuff like this Kobe has EXTREME HATE!.

Infact, Kobe is so OVERRATED its beyond comprehention.

He shot 60% against BOTTOM FEEDERS in last 5 games.

btw those 5 games is a OKC match up when WESTBROOK lit his ar$$e up & kobe shot 40%FG in that game.

Kobe has been trashed way too many times this season by LBJ, Durant even Westbrook.

& he is runner up MVP. this is a faaakng joke. Its almost like Dwight-Nash-Gasol dont play for LAL.

NBA & ESPN & media is so DESPERATE to give MVP to Kobe because he is dong well against Sub .400 bottom feeders stat wise & getting the 8th playoffs spot.

Its disguisting, dispecable & outrageous!

I wouldnt pick Kobe as a best SG in the game currently. Its btw Wade & Harden this year.

Wade is the best beacuse he DOES NOT have ball in his hands & he has been steller this year.

imnew09
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Kobe
Nash
Pau

You can't be serious? FOUR? Howard, Artest, Jamison? Please don't tell me Howard? WTF has Howard done to be a hall of fame player?

I think he will get in for winning defensive players of the years a couple of times so far. He has also lead his nba to the finals, so yea.
:confusedshrug:

DonDadda59
03-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Kobe
Nash
Pau

3X DPOY
7X All star
6X All NBA
5X All NBA Defense
5X Rebounding Champion
2X Blocks Champion

Lead his team to the championship series and has career averages of 18 PPG/ 13RPG/2.3 BPG.

He's more accomplished than a lot of players in the hall and he's only 27. He would have to suffer a very dramatic fall in production and accomplishments in order for him to not make the hall.

gengiskhan
03-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Kobe
Nash
Pau

3 x Back-2-back-2-bac DPOY >> 1 consolation MVP in 17 years.

Deuce Bigalow
03-08-2013, 08:53 PM
3 x Back-2-back-2-bac DPOY >> 1 consolation MVP in 17 years.
Dwight Howard (3 DPOYs) > Jerry West and Elgin Baylor (0 MVPs)

****ing ******

Heavincent
03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Nash
Meeks
MWP
Gasol
Howard

Am I suppose to believe that these guys would struggle if there were no Kobe around?

Yes. They would struggle immensely.

crisoner
03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
AGAIN....

STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

The OP doesn't deserve any attention what so ever.

Magic 32
03-08-2013, 09:01 PM

That is about as torturously contrived a “glass-half-empty” synopsis of Kobe's career I have had the displeasure of seeing. You mad b*tch?

gengiskhan
03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Westbrook OWNS & EMBARASSES kobe with Left-handed lightning dunk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hZO7xkNtY)

Kobe choking as Westbrook steals again. Kobe also FAKING INJURY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHj23xgXxPo)

Magic 32
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Westbrook OWNS & EMBARASSES kobe with Left-handed lightning dunk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hZO7xkNtY)

Kobe choking as Westbrook steals again. Kobe also FAKING INJURY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHj23xgXxPo)

http://feedlol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/flickr-glenn-beck-crying-gif.jpg

Euroleague
03-08-2013, 09:05 PM
:lol at Howard being a hall of famer...........

:rolleyes:

Psileas
03-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Love all these sources that indicate that Kobe is #2 for the MVP. :rolleyes:

Magic 32
03-08-2013, 09:11 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-koefOpUX_W0/TbYb_uD_C-I/AAAAAAAAAds/kYNvcG-IMAY/s400/Old%252520Kobe_sm.jpg

Bow down haters!!! Kobe will outlive you all :oldlol::banana: :roll: :banana: :oldlol:

chazzy
It was just a weekly MVP ladder on NBA.com.. calm down children

Nash
Yes. They would struggle immensely.
Really? So a team with a star PG, star PF and the most dominant center last 5 years would struggle and not even make the playoffs? They are not playing team ball right now, there is nothing wrong with the players they have. Kobe gets his because he's taking over, that's why. And its not like he's shooting at a high efficiency or anything like that.

Then how would this team do?

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Martin
Ibaka
Perkins

or this team..

Bledsoe
Billups
Butler
Griffin
Jordan

Those two teams on paper look much worse than what Lakers could put on the court without Kobe.

Magic 32
03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Really? So a team with a star PG, star PF and the most dominant center last 5 years would struggle and not even make the playoffs? They are not playing team ball right now, there is nothing wrong with the players they have. Kobe gets his because he's taking over, that's why. And its not like he's shooting at a high efficiency or anything like that.

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Martin
Ibaka
Perkins

or this team..

Bledsoe
Billups
Butler
Griffin
Jordan

Those two teams on paper look much worse than what Lakers could put on the court without Kobe.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m49ir6sCsK1qbmust.gif

secund2nun
03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Kobe has long been the overrated golden boy of the NBA that can do no wrong. When his team loses he gets very little of the blame even when he performs poorly, yet when they win he gets majority of the credit even if he performs poorly while his teammate(s) perform out of this world.

Wow, he is lighting up scrub teams on offense while playing no defense at all while having a loaded roster yet somehow fighting for an 8th seed. Wow amazing GOATBE!

BuffaloBill
03-08-2013, 09:43 PM
:facepalm

Heavincent
03-08-2013, 09:48 PM

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Martin
Ibaka
Perkins

or this team..

Bledsoe
Billups
Butler
Griffin
Jordan

:roll: :roll:

So you take away the Lakers' best player by far, and they're suddenly better?? I don't even...

Do you know how stupid you sound right now?

chazzy
03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Really? So a team with a star PG, star PF and the most dominant center last 5 years would struggle and not even make the playoffs?
Really? Uhh, they may not even make it now..

And its not like he's shooting at a high efficiency or anything like that.
He is though

Ne 1
03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
:oldlol: @ people (all the usual Kobe hating trolls) talking about how the Lakers look on paper and using the "4 HOFers" buzz word. Anyone who has actually followed and watched the team this year will tell you the only reason they are fighting to make the playoffs right now is because of Kobe exceding everyone's expectations this season and playing this incredible at 34 years old in his 17th year.

DMAVS41
03-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Anyone that has actually watched Kobe play this year...and comes away thinking he isn't playing absolutely great is a moron. It has been great to watch.

And the defense thing...that is on the coach. Why would Kobe waste energy playing hard on defense when it would do nothing because the defense is a joke...and that is mainly on the coach and other players.

Lebron and Durant are clearly better. After that, Kobe is right there with Wade and the rest of the other best players...case could be made that Kobe is the 3rd best player this year.

tpols
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
What?! FOUR Hall of Famers godmanit! This is Bullshit!

MaxFly
03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
I see a lot of outrage, but it seems that most don't understand what it is exactly they are outraged about. Anyone want to explain why they are outraged and care to link to the source of information that has caused their outrage. This should be amusing.

ProfessorMurder
03-08-2013, 10:31 PM
He shouldn't be #2 when you've got a stacked team, underperform and aren't in the playoffs.

Like everyone hasn't used the 3 HOF teammate thing to discredit Rondo for the last 3 years?

Yao Ming's Foot
03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Keep the MVP... 3 HOF teammates is just too much

5 rings with just 1 HOF teammate per title team on the other hand

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

longtime lurker
03-08-2013, 10:42 PM

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Martin
Ibaka
Perkins

or this team..

Bledsoe
Billups
Butler
Griffin
Jordan

At least you don't hide the fact that you're a Heat dickr!der behind that Nash avatar anymore

red1
03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
I see nothing wrong with kobe 2nd for mvp. Kd cooled down and will probably finish second when all is said and done but in the mean-time kobe has played well enough to justify his rank

Kobe 4 The Win
03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
He shouldn't be #2 when you've got a stacked team, underperform and aren't in the playoffs.

Like everyone hasn't used the 3 HOF teammate thing to discredit Rondo for the last 3 years?

Not me homie. Rondo is a beast.

Hizack
03-08-2013, 11:08 PM
This is kind of offtopic, but......

Moses Malone is the 81/82 season MVP.
But in that season, his team Houston Rockets just finished 6th (out of 12 total teams) in the Western Conf.

LeBird
03-09-2013, 12:06 AM
I know I won't be confused as a Kobe fan - because I simply am not (I hate hero-ball bullshit) - but the dude has been amazing this year. He deserves the recognition. Lebron is the best player in the league, but for Kobe to do what he is doing at this stage of his career is a testament to his skills. Respect.

longtime lurker
03-09-2013, 01:51 AM
4 hall of famers who need Kobe to average 40 and 10 to beat the Hornets and Raptors....:oldlol: :oldlol: riiiiight

ripthekik
03-09-2013, 01:55 AM
what the hell does hall of famer matter.. hell, tons of nba teams probably had more than that.

Heavincent
03-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Yeah, the Lakers are so stacked...I guess that's why they need Kobe to pull off absurd heroics just to barely scrape by the Raptors and Hornets :oldlol:

TOUCH MY BODY
03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Is OP genghiskhan's brother?

Doranku
03-09-2013, 03:42 AM
One is Kobe himself, one isn't even playing, one is checking out retirement homes in between games, and one is a f@ggot.

Context matters.

The Iron Fist
03-09-2013, 03:43 AM

So the MVP is a guy who is teammates with someone who won Finals MVP and one of the best bigs in the game?:biggums:

The Iron Fist
03-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Hey I want Lakers to succeed as much as anybody, but even I can call bullsh*t on Kobe getting the MVP. This must be the first time in history a player not in the top 5 seeds is getting MVP consideration. It could be legit if the Lakers make it to the WCF and the award takes into account the playoffs, but if it's a regular season thing, then there should be no reason Kobe should even be consider MVP.:coleman:
Kareem won with a 40 and 42 record.

****ing stupid ass kids like you these days.

red1
03-09-2013, 03:48 AM
:coleman:
Kareem won with a 40 and 42 record.

****ing stupid ass kids like you these days.
you are honestly dumber than most 16 year olds I know

Kingwillball
03-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Wait didnt read through this thread are Laker Fans ACTUALLY touting Kobe for MVP ? :roll:

catquickspider
03-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Kobe has not had those 4 hall of famers for long. Gasol and Nash have been out with injury for a lot of games. Even Dwight has missed games.

On top of that, none of the other 3 "stars" are really playing up to their standards.

The bench is also very thin and the coach is stupid.

This is not the same as lebron playing with legit all stars on his team that have been relatively healthy and the best bench in the nba. Lebron is also in his prime.

I don't think Kobe deserves MVP but what he is doing is amazing.