PDA

View Full Version : Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

bmd
03-09-2013, 06:58 PM
When you swat it away, you just give the other team the ball back...

Patrick Chewing
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Much harder to do. I'm no Physics major, but I'm assuming you get to a higher apex by just jumping with one arm straight up.

Fatstogey
03-09-2013, 07:00 PM
When you swat it away, you just give the other team the ball back...
because it looks cool and fools go

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Rasheed1
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
That would mean the player has to be good enough to jump and just grab a shot as it goes up :oldlol: that isnt possible most of the time..

Shooters are used to pump faking and playing defenders out of position to create shots. Guys are laying it in off the backboard, and doing all types of things to make it really difficult for defenders to block their shots, let alone palm the ball and steal it in mid air. lol

Rubio2Gasol
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Grabbing out the air is unrealistic. But keeping it in play and maintaining possession is not.

imnew09
03-09-2013, 07:06 PM
You should try it yourself first

troyceps33
03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm sure i've seen Big Ben do it before

bmd
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
That would mean the player has to be good enough to jump and just grab a shot as it goes up :oldlol: that isnt possible most of the time..

Shooters are used to pump faking and playing defenders out of position to create shots. Guys are laying it in off the backboard, and doing all types of things to make it really difficult for defenders to block their shots, let alone palm the ball and steal it in mid air. lol1. Players have done it before. They just usually swat it instead.

2. Yes, you have to get a good part of your hand on it... but you don't have to palm the ball. You just have to stop the ball's momentum and guide it down with you.

Fudge
03-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Lmao...

Living Being
03-09-2013, 07:09 PM
In defense of the OP, there are times with huge swats that the player obviously could have grabbed the ball, or at least deflected it to a teammate. But...it is demoralizing to the opposition and motivates your team and fans.

Budadiiii
03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Stupid...

The speed of the game makes it almost impossible to just grab the ball in the air..

The only thing you can do is prevent the particular shot from going in by swatting it out of the way...

Yes you can try your best to give your team possession but even that's asking too much

Rasheed1
03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
1. Players have done it before. They just usually swat it instead.

swatting it is more practical... Big Centers can occasionally go straight up and snatch the ball, but its really difficult to do it on call.

2. Yes, you have to get a good part of your hand on it... but you don't have to palm the ball. You just have to stop the ball's momentum and guide it down with you.

guide it down with you :oldlol:

sounds alot easier than it actually is..

bmd
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Stupid...

The speed of the game makes it almost impossible to just grab the ball in the air..

The only thing you can do is prevent the particular shot from going in by swatting it out of the way...

Yes you can try your best to give your team possession but even that's asking too muchNo, it isn't almost impossible to do. There are times hen a center is 100% ready for the block, and he can get his whole hand above the ball, but he'd rather play volleyball and spike it when he could have easily pulled it down with one hand like reaching for a rebound.

Makes no sense.

troyceps33
03-09-2013, 07:55 PM
No, it isn't almost impossible to do. There are times hen a center is 100% ready for the block, and he can get his whole hand above the ball, but he'd rather play volleyball and spike it when he could have easily pulled it down with one hand like reaching for a rebound.

Makes no sense.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkCYXgfFyKU

this

nathanjizzle
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
because if you go up with 1 arm you can reach higher, but if u try to grab with 2 hands your not going as high. going up with 1 arm and swatting it will give you efficient results. trying to grab the ball, will result in minimal turnovers and even cost you baskets if you dont get a hand on the ball.

bmd
03-09-2013, 08:05 PM

thisSee... I knew I've seen players do it before. Players should do it more often like Dwight did.

If this was regularly taught and practiced, it could be done more. I think most players just have the natural reaction to swat it away because they never think about grabbing it instead.

bmd
03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
because if you go up with 1 arm you can reach higher, but if u try to grab with 2 hands your not going as high. going up with 1 arm and swatting it will give you efficient results. trying to grab the ball, will result in minimal turnovers and even cost you baskets if you dont get a hand on the ball.
I'm talking about grabbing it with one hand like pulling down a high pass or reaching up for a rebound with one hand and pulling it down like when a player slaps the ball hard with the off hand.

Just watch the video posted above of Dwight doing it.

KDthunderup
03-09-2013, 08:09 PM
They wouldnt really be blocked shots then, wouldnt they be more steals?

ace23
03-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Have you ever played basketball, OP?

Budadiiii
03-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Have you ever played basketball, OP?
I'm guessing the answer is no

bmd
03-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Have you ever played basketball, OP?Yes, and I've done it, which is how I know it can be done.

Ne 1
03-09-2013, 08:13 PM
That's why Bill Russell would apply a light touch to his blocked shots, tapping it towards a teammate or tapping it upwards to transform the block into a rebounding opportunity. Compared to Wilt who had the habit of sending the ball out of bounds when blocking a shot. Crowd pleasing, sure, but it's not smart to give your opponent another go at the basket. I believe he did that in order to maximize the intimidation factor. Even his coach Butch van Breda Kolff complained to Wilt that knocking the ball out of bounds allows the opponent to retain possession of the ball. Kolff pointed out that Russell kept the ball in play when he blocked shots.

ace23
03-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes, and I've done it, which is how I know it can be done.
At what level?

bmd
03-09-2013, 08:16 PM
That's why Bill Russell would apply a light touch to his blocked shots, tapping it towards a teammate or tapping it upwards to transform the block into a rebounding opportunity. Compared to Wilt who had the habit of sending the ball out of bounds when blocking a shot. Crowd pleasing, sure, but it's not smart to give your opponent another go at the basket. I believe he did that in order to maximize the intimidation factor. Even his coach Butch van Breda Kolff complained to Wilt that knocking the ball out of bounds allows the opponent to retain possession of the ball. Kolff pointed out that Russell kept the ball in play when he blocked shots.Good info. This thread pretty much proves my point that people are set in their ways and refuse to think outside the box.

Any suggestion of something a little unorthodox and people jump all over it saying it doesn't work, when it has worked and I've seen it work.

I just think it needs to be used more.

irondarts
03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
It would be extremely hard to just grab the ball out of the air, however it's not very hard to just lightly tap the ball to a teammate and not swat it 10 rows out of bounds. The only reason guys swat it 10 rows out of bounds is because they think it's cool and they can scream and hit their chest about it, rather than keeping the play going.

bmd
03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
At what level?Division II.

In high school we went to state twice, winning the 5A title as a junior and losing my senior year.

If you're asking what level I grabbed a block, it was my junior year in high school.

Jyap9675
03-09-2013, 08:39 PM
There's a reason why these professional basketball players don't do it- it's because it is pretty damn hard. If you swat the ball, you are just slapping the side of the basketball, but if you grab it you would need to cover half of the basketball. It is doable but the ball must be travelling very slowly and you should also jump at the right time.

The hard part is in-game situations where everything is so quick and you would need to rely on your reflexes, hence you only have time to hit the side of the ball.

ihoopallday
03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
I've been saying the same thing for years. Well, I just always felt they could swat the ball with a little less force so they can keep it in play.

bmd
03-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I've been saying the same thing for years. Well, I just always felt they could swat the ball with a little less force so they can keep it in play.That, too.

garubu
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2142257/javalezilla.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/cbdc1c87619a1089b8d8d0a2fccdd12f/tumblr_mfavw6dc0q1rdqggno1_500.gif

SpecialQue
03-09-2013, 09:14 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2142257/javalezilla.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/cbdc1c87619a1089b8d8d0a2fccdd12f/tumblr_mfavw6dc0q1rdqggno1_500.gif

Your username sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce "grab," which makes your contribution all the better.

imnew09
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going. Those who agree with OP never played ball in real life.

garubu
03-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Your username sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce "grab," which makes your contribution all the better.

Thank you sir, here is another one by the Mcgee.

http://i.gifeye.com/5022.gif

ProfessorMurder
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Why doesn't everyone jump from the free throw line and dunk every possession?

Rockets(T-mac)
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
You can't always grab it, but players should definitely learn to do light blocks, taps so maybe they can grab it on the way down or tap it to a teammate. There are some blocks that get swatted into the stands where it could've been caught or tapped to themselves. I do love a big swat though good way to get the crowd into the game.

KembaWalker
03-09-2013, 09:45 PM
It's more so an intimidation factor too. What's more intimidating, "guiding the ball down with your hand" as someone accurately explained, or swatting the s*** out of it into the stands. Must players who get absolutely swatted would tend to think twice about driving into the paint when that shot-blocker is there, or taking a jump-shot. That's just how I view it.

I'm sure some of the elite shit-blockers could grab a shot out of mid air, depends on their hand size and how quick the shots going. But yeah swatting it away makes the offensive player think twice

9erempiree
03-09-2013, 09:51 PM
It's hard to grab the ball.

It's easier to just swat it.

MMKM
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Another "why dont they" question.....

WHY DONT HOCKEY TEAMS find an incredibly obese person to be goalie? Seriously, the goal isnt that big. You take someone who is like 700 lbs, put all those pads on them and lay them on their back in front of the goal theyd take up like 99% of the air space to squeeze a puck through.

Never understood why that hasnt been done

Ne 1
03-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Good info. This thread pretty much proves my point that people are set in their ways and refuse to think outside the box.

Any suggestion of something a little unorthodox and people jump all over it saying it doesn't work, when it has worked and I've seen it work.

I just think it needs to be used more.

:cheers:

bigt
03-10-2013, 01:00 AM
I think a bit part of it is reflexs. Most block opportunities are pretty reactionary, so they go by instinct, which is to block. To do it consistently would require you to basically train yourself to look at every block opportunity as a catch opportunity, otherwise instinct kicks in. You'll notice most of the GIF's/vids used here as examples (The McGee one is the exception) the person blocking/catching has an extra bit of time to read the play because of where the shot it taken relative to where they are. They've had time to think 'block, nah I can grab this'

It's also worth noting how embarrassing it would likely look if you flubbed the catch, if you're near the basket at all and you lose control there's a fair chance an opposing player can get it and fire off an easy layup or something. The swat at least lets the defense reset if they can't take possession.

AT9
03-10-2013, 01:42 AM
1. It's really hard to do.
2. Swatting a shot hard has a lot of benefits. If some guy sends my shot out of bounds, will I be shooting near him anytime soon? Probably not. The emphatic statement and intimidation that comes from a hard swat is worth about as much as a turnover, IMO.

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 01:51 AM

this

:applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISDKqmkFbk

He needed some help from the glass but still impressive.

bmd
03-10-2013, 02:45 AM
I can't believe this thread is still going. Those who agree with OP never played ball in real life.Then explain to me the multiple gifs and videos that people have posted of players doing exactly as I was talking about?

I'm simply saying I think centers should do this more, and actually practice it so that it becomes more natural instead of just something they just freestyled in a game one day.

ripthekik
03-10-2013, 03:19 AM
:facepalm
even the best shot blockers in the league average around 2 blocks per game.. they'd be HAPPY to get even a regular block.. why do you think they have the time and skills to try to grab the ball? :facepalm
in the flow of the game.. they just trying to get even their fingers on the ball, bro

there are occasions, like when the offensive player does a soft layup where it is possible to grab it. but that happens once in a blue moon, and when that happens, you want to embarass that player instead by swatting it out of bounds.

ripthekik
03-10-2013, 03:23 AM
Then explain to me the multiple gifs and videos that people have posted of players doing exactly as I was talking about?

I'm simply saying I think centers should do this more, and actually practice it so that it becomes more natural instead of just something they just freestyled in a game one day.
it does happen in the flow of the game sometimes.. where it's so obvious and natural the players do it without even having to intent to. most of the time, blocks are out of reach, you extend your arms as far as you can, and you can only get part of the ball.

but how about you show us some videos where the player blocked it, and you think it's possible to grab it?

Living Being
03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
it does happen in the flow of the game sometimes.. where it's so obvious and natural the players do it without even having to intent to. most of the time, blocks are out of reach, you extend your arms as far as you can, and you can only get part of the ball.

but how about you show us some videos where the player blocked it, and you think it's possible to grab it?
Probably half of LeBron's chase-down blocks qualify. The problem is the loss of extension over the person when using two-arms. It depends on the angle you are coming from and how much higher you are.

Basketbolero
03-10-2013, 10:40 AM
In before OP's next thread: Why do players attempt floaters, layups and hook shots instead of dunking?

Big#50
03-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I believe they have a stat for this. Maintaining possession after a block or something. I think Duncan is numero uno.

chosen_one6
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Another "why dont they" question.....

WHY DONT HOCKEY TEAMS find an incredibly obese person to be goalie? Seriously, the goal isnt that big. You take someone who is like 700 lbs, put all those pads on them and lay them on their back in front of the goal theyd take up like 99% of the air space to squeeze a puck through.

Never understood why that hasnt been done

700 pound people can't stand on their own. If they lay down, hockey players are skilled enough to snipe the holes. If that didn't work, then teams would just shoot at the goalies pads and then get the rebound and put it in. Hockey goalies need to be extremely quick and agile. The best goalie of all time was only 6'1" 205

j3lademaster
03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Because it's too risky imo. 99% of hard blocks are in the lane relatively close to the basket; if you tip it up for a rebounding opportunity or try to catch it and fumble it, it creates an opportunity to give the opposing big or a slashing player with momentum a chance to get possession in a great position to score or draw a foul. Better to just swat it back for morale purposes.

ripthekik
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM
In before OP's next thread: Why do players attempt floaters, layups and hook shots instead of dunking?
Why don't people shoot 3's all the time. It's 1 more point than a normal shot.

Basketbolero
03-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Why don't people shoot 3's all the time. It's 1 more point than a normal shot.
Antoine Walker would be proud of you

Rake2204
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I think a bit part of it is reflexs. Most block opportunities are pretty reactionary, so they go by instinct, which is to block. To do it consistently would require you to basically train yourself to look at every block opportunity as a catch opportunity, otherwise instinct kicks in. You'll notice most of the GIF's/vids used here as examples (The McGee one is the exception) the person blocking/catching has an extra bit of time to read the play because of where the shot it taken relative to where they are. They've had time to think 'block, nah I can grab this'That about sums it up. 99% of the time, grabbing a block is not going to be something that just randomly happens. It usually requires, as you mentioned, a unique defensive opportunity where a defender has an opportunity to survey a situation and conclude that the angle an offensive player is attacking combined with how they'll likely attempt their shot will give that defender a chance to catch the shot.

Otherwise, as various posters mentioned, most NBA shot blockers are averaging two to three blocks per game. With such a low rate, that means they likely will be doing whatever they can to get their fingertips on the ball, let alone catching it. I feel having a "catch-first" mindset may severly inhibit one's ability to reach, claw, and extend for every shot attempt possible. There's a certain angle required for catching and as I mentioned, catching a shot is usually not something a player just stumbles into. So in the long run, I believe actively looking to catch all shots would be a detriment to one's defensive ability.

Then again, perhaps you say, "Why not jump as high as possible to try to catch it but if it's too high, then just block it?" Maybe there's some truth to that, but blocking a shot is still much, much easier said than done.

upside24
03-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Players love the reaction from a shot blocked into the 4th row so they keep doing it instead of using a controlled tap.

In "The Art of A Beautiful Game" Chris Ballard claimed that he had once talked to Dwight and he said that when he blocked it out of bounds it gave him a chance to get another block after the other team inbounded for the next possession.

Doubt we will ever see controlled blocks to lead to fastbreaks anymore. It has become a lost art.

Djahjaga
03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
The negative responses on this thread are ridiculous.

That said, it does strike me as a bit hard to bring the ball down instead of blocking it, but you've brought up good points, OP (e.g. comparing it to guiding down a high pass, etc.).

What strikes me as more annoying is when idiots like Howard spike the ball into the third row. Looks cool the first time, and I'd be fine if it occurred like once a game (less would be ideal...once every two games?), but he does that sh*t all the time, so damn needlessly. It's ridiculous. And he's not doing it to hype the crowd up, or does he think they need to see sh*t like that 4 times a game to get excited?

Tipping the ball down, redirecting the shot is still demoralizing to the offensive player. And you can probably get your team a fastbreak opportunity. Think of the offensive options that arise from this. Basketball would be so much more fun to watch. Who doesn't love a good fastbreak?

But of course this won't happen. I defend Howard a lot because I think he gets too much shit at times, but he's an idiot.

Djahjaga
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Players love the reaction from a shot blocked into the 4th row so they keep doing it instead of using a controlled tap.

In "The Art of A Beautiful Game" Chris Ballard claimed that he had once talked to Dwight and he said that when he blocked it out of bounds it gave him a chance to get another block after the other team inbounded for the next possession.

Doubt we will ever see controlled blocks to lead to fastbreaks anymore. It has become a lost art.

Haha this post says everything mine does in a more succinct, elegant way. Sorry, I didn't see it!

I'm not surprised that Howard said that, but it is kind of shocking how f*cking retarded he is sometimes :facepalm

BuffaloBill
03-10-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fBdAPfk8r4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98hZOkoUIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkCYXgfFyKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjLYrwQeOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOsaoEr8-eI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roz5FWWHDtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0HoDopuc9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrFTu2-x_LI

It's not that rare for players to attempt it. If it's possible they will usually try to grab it out of the air instead of block it.

monkeypox
03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Well you can wipe the shot out and force them to restart with a shorter clock. If you tip it inbounds there's always that chance that the opposing team gets it. A loose ball under the opponents basket is way more dangerous for you than it is for them.

winwin
03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
OP

Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234809

hmmmm

The Choken One
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
ITT: people don't actually play basketball

La Frescobaldi
03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
That's why Bill Russell would apply a light touch to his blocked shots, tapping it towards a teammate or tapping it upwards to transform the block into a rebounding opportunity. Compared to Wilt who had the habit of sending the ball out of bounds when blocking a shot. Crowd pleasing, sure, but it's not smart to give your opponent another go at the basket. I believe he did that in order to maximize the intimidation factor. Even his coach Butch van Breda Kolff complained to Wilt that knocking the ball out of bounds allows the opponent to retain possession of the ball. Kolff pointed out that Russell kept the ball in play when he blocked shots.

I disagree with everything you just said.

2nd block in this clip shows you're wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=splnUR-52jM

He did that a lot as a Sixer. Over and over. You just read Bill Simmons, right? Go look up Sam Jones Walt Frazier Earl Monroe and see what they say about it. He caught their shots at apex.

And just for your information, I saw Chamberlain do the same thing to a Jabbar Skyhook on tv when he was getting ready to retire on the Lakers. Caught it in the air, put it under his arm, and called timeout, and the crowd roared.

And one other thing. Butch van Breda Kopf was a dunce and a dolt and the Lakers fired him within hours of him throwing away the 69 Finals with his abominable foolery.

The Iron Fist
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
No, it isn't almost impossible to do. There are times hen a center is 100% ready for the block, and he can get his whole hand above the ball, but he'd rather play volleyball and spike it when he could have easily pulled it down with one hand like reaching for a rebound.

Makes no sense.Kareem did it sometimes. lol at people thinking its impossible. It amazes me more people don't do it. Swatting it to the tenth row is just giving the ball back to the other team.

The Iron Fist
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Thank you sir, here is another one by the Mcgee.

http://i.gifeye.com/5022.gif
That, is more intimidating than smashing the ball to the upper deck.