PDA

View Full Version : Kobe is shooting 47.5% this season on 28 PPG

1987_Lakers
03-09-2013, 10:14 PM
A career high. I haven't been around much, but has this been discussed on ISH?

His assists numbers are also at its highest since the '05 season.

9erempiree
03-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Haters are going to raise the bar.

Now they are going to say how come Kobe has never shot 48%.:oldlol:

Prime Kobe would be beasting this weak 201X era.

red1
03-09-2013, 10:15 PM

yes. he was shooting an even higher percentage earlier in the year

imnew09
03-09-2013, 10:16 PM
you're gonna get negged.

Kobe hater has been released tremendously.

9erempiree
03-09-2013, 10:16 PM
He had a bad weak that dropped his season stats but oh well, as long as they are winning.

STATUTORY
03-09-2013, 10:20 PM
still arguably the best player in the league despite what the mass media will havee you believe

Deuce Bigalow
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Career highs
FG%: 46.9
eFG%: 50.3
TS%: 58.0
2PT%: 49.7
PPS: 1.38

12-13 season so far (63 games)
FG%: 47.5
eFG%: 51.8
TS%: 57.9
2PT%: 52.0
PPS: 1.35

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/137-kobe-bryant

PleezeBelieve
03-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Career highs

Lance Armstrong says this peak @ 34 years old is not surprising.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Career highs

Kobe needs to quit taking so many 3's. I had no idea was that efficient on 2PT shots.

9erempiree
03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Kobe needs to quit taking so many 3's. I had no idea was that efficient on 2PT shots.

He's actually been shooting very well with his 3 pointers as of late.

Young X
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
He looks so much better than he did last season, this is the best he's played since 2009 IMO.

Budadiiii
03-09-2013, 10:41 PM
underwhelming career highs for Kobe...

ThatsGame
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Those are pretty bad stats for someone like LeBron, the best in the game.

Deuce Bigalow
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Those are pretty bad stats for someone like LeBron, the best in the game.
Still not on Adrian Dantley's level though.

upside24
03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Thought we had seen the best of him but he surprised me this year.

I know his knee is better than in years past but I just can't believe how much quicker he looks.

macpierce
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
kobe's quickness is reminding me of 2009 levels.

NBASTATMAN
03-09-2013, 11:33 PM

Maybe cuz he plays for DAntoni and with Nash. Their pace is 3rd in the league.
Kyrie shoots as good and has none of the advantages while playing on a much slower team with garbage talent around him...

NBASTATMAN
03-09-2013, 11:36 PM
kobe's quickness is reminding me of 2009 levels.

I agree. I haven't seen him move around like this for years. It's really amazing when you see him run the court. I have never seen a guy get faster like this. THAT ISH IS CRAZY..

inclinerator
03-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I agree. I haven't seen him move around like this for years. It's really amazing when you see him run the court. I have never seen a guy get faster like this. THAT ISH IS CRAZY..
roids

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 12:04 AM

:coleman:

JerryWest
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Godbe :bowdown:

Magic 32
03-10-2013, 02:41 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1266138!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/dikembe.jpg

I wonder if you would say the same thing about MJ if Insidehoops existed in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYroQELx_fQ

Me think not.

plowking
03-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Watch Kobe's stats and play take an unexpected dive as soon as PED testing is more strongly enforced in the NBA.

It'll just be a coincidence though.

Magic 32
03-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Watch Kobe's stats and play take an unexpected dive as soon as PED testing is more strongly enforced in the NBA.

http://imgboot.com/images/OchiChernye/cmonson.gif

Deuce Bigalow
03-10-2013, 03:17 AM

*Says a Lebron fan...*

plowking
03-10-2013, 03:21 AM
*Says a Lebron fan...*

Did my light hearted comment in jest really sting that badly?

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 03:28 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1266138!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/dikembe.jpg

I wonder if you would say the same thing about MJ if Insidehoops existed in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYroQELx_fQ

Me think not.

MJ wasn't running as fast at 34 as he was at 28. Not even close. Kobe's diet must be great cuz he is simply flying past people. Anyone notice how fast he looks going full court.. I was amazed at how fast he looked the other night when he got the ball and took off.

selrahc
03-10-2013, 03:40 AM
lebron at 30 wont be able to do what kobe is doing at 34...

plowking
03-10-2013, 03:42 AM
lebron at 30 wont be able to do what kobe is doing at 34...

True.

It is hard to lose that many games with such a talented team.

D-Wade316
03-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Kind of expected because D'Antoni's the coach. Still impressive though.

Magic 32
03-10-2013, 03:58 AM
MJ wasn't running as fast at 34 as he was at 28. Not even close. Kobe's diet must be great cuz he is simply flying past people. Anyone notice how fast he looks going full court.. I was amazed at how fast he looked the other night when he got the ball and took off.

Is this the "flying past people" you are talking about? This is just crappy defence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJslBChMVrk

Watch a Jordan/Pippen two-man fastbreak from 1996,1997 or 1998. No difference.

Try again hater. :sleeping

bdreason
03-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Black Mamba is defying all odds this year. That game last night was a historic performance.

madmax
03-10-2013, 04:24 AM
LeGOAT would be very dissapoint to shoot such a measly 47 % from the field:sleeping
Not impressed...NEXT

Magic 32
03-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Not impressed...NEXT

Let your idol get more than a lockout ring and come back next year kiddo.

http://whatdoumeme.com/media/created/7nx8gv.jpg

All Net
03-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Impressive stuff :cheers:

HorryIsMyMVP
03-10-2013, 05:00 AM
Turnovers still an issue for the mamba. The Toronto game wouldn't have been an over time game if Kobe didn't have 9 turn overs. I applaud his late game heroics but early on it was questionable strategy.

Trentknicks
03-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Let your idol get more than a lockout ring and come back next year kiddo.

http://whatdoumeme.com/media/created/7nx8gv.jpg
I hate Lebron and your post is just a pretty uninformative stat. The Heat generally have the game out of hand by halfway through the 4th and don't need clutch shots to win in. Try watching the games and using the eye test instead of subscribing to Skip Bayless-like statistics.

j3lademaster
03-10-2013, 07:56 AM
still arguably the best player in the league despite what the mass media will havee you believeYou mean the same mass media that has him as an MVP candidate?:confusedshrug:

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Is this the "flying past people" you are talking about? This is just crappy defence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJslBChMVrk

Watch a Jordan/Pippen two-man fastbreak from 1996,1997 or 1998. No difference.

Try again hater. :sleeping

You have to be a dumb arse kobestan, cuz I wrote full court. I think everyone realizes that was shitty defenSe on that play you showed. :cheers:

As for his speed even Laker fans are raving about it... No one has seen him run this fast in years.. I am sure he is taking one of those Dr. Oz elixirs...

kurple
03-10-2013, 09:28 AM

everything kobe related has been discussed at least 50k times this season

cant wait for him to retire.

elementally morale
03-10-2013, 09:33 AM
everything kobe related has been discussed at least 50k times this season

cant wait for him to retire.

I can understand that. I had the very same feeling about Michael Jordan back in the day. I just couldn't wait the fu(ker finally retired... and he came back again and again... :(

Later on, I realized I was a bit stupid though.

Magic 32
03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
As for his speed even Laker fans are raving about it... No one has seen him run this fast in years.. I am sure he is taking one of those Dr. Oz elixirs...

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJlEZF62ACk

I can tell that no evidence will break your deep seeded hate.

Moving on.

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJlEZF62ACk

I can tell that no evidence will break your deep seeded hate.

Moving on.

I have actually become a fan of his work ethic and skills. Unlike my fav player, Kobe comes in shape every year and ready to go no matter what. The dude is a PRO and you can't hate that.. I am only writing what I see and what other Laker fans are speaking about. If you disagree than that is fine. But even the announcers are speaking about his speed.

I do hate the LAKERS THOUGH... :oldlol:

SilkkTheShocker
03-10-2013, 02:44 PM
still arguably the best player in the league despite what the mass media will havee you believe

Replace Kobe with LeBron and the Lakers are the 1-2 seed. Thats a fact.

elementally morale
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM

That's an opinion.

SilkkTheShocker
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
That's an opinion.

A team with Lebron on it isn't going to be fighting for a playoff spot. There absolutely no way in hell that team is in the same position with LeBron.

Poetry
03-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Impressive stuff :cheers:

http://www.rollogrady.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/drink-keith.gif

NumberSix
03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah, Kobe Bryant is a really good player. This isn't news.

elementally morale
03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
A team with Lebron on it isn't going to be fighting for a playoff spot. There absolutely no way in hell that team is in the same position with LeBron.

I think the Lekars would have won more games in the regular season with LeBron, but I'm not sure they would go deeper in the playoffs with him.

SilkkTheShocker
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I think the Lekars would have won more games in the regular season with LeBron, but I'm not sure they would go deeper in the playoffs with him.

Well considering LeBron has much greater impact when it comes to team basketball, im willing to bet anything they would most definitely advance further in the playoffs.

longtime lurker
03-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Imagine how much better his percentages would be if he protected his field goal % like other certain players........

elementally morale
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Well considering LeBron has much greater impact when it comes to team basketball, im willing to bet anything they would most definitely advance further in the playoffs.

Well, such things are easier said than done, since we all know it's impossible to try in real life. We both can have our opinions though and we can agree to disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQu6VJ3qQ3w

guy
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQu6VJ3qQ3w

Good god thats hilarious :oldlol:

m1sterb
03-10-2013, 05:54 PM

I think the exact opposite prior to last year. Lebron on the lake show equals more regular season wins. However, now with a championship WIN under his belt providing that confidence post season... It's just not fair to compare a 34 year old bryant with a 20 something bron.

longtime lurker
03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
I think the exact opposite prior to last year. Lebron on the lake show equals more regular season wins. However, now with a championship WIN under his belt providing that confidence post season... It's just not fair to compare a 34 year old bryant with a 20 something bron.

Well this is almost like a no sh!t statement. You replace Kobe with a younger player and of course his team is going to do better. The question is if you put Kobe on the Heat would they be a lot worse than they are now? I seriously doubt it.

Bandito
03-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Lebron won't have Bbosh or Wade to save his butt. He will have old Nash and ' I can't make my free throws' Dwight. Gasol is going to whine even more about shots because Lebron will hold the ball even more than Kobe and make him ineffective.

guy
03-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Lebron won't have Bbosh or Wade to save his butt. He will have old Nash and ' I can't make my free throws' Dwight. Gasol is going to whine even more about shots because Lebron will hold the ball even more than Kobe and make him ineffective.

When did Wade or Bosh ever save Lebron?

longtime lurker
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm pretty sure Ray Allen has saved the Heats ass a couple times this year, not to take anything away from Lebron.

guy
03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Ray Allen has saved the Heats ass a couple times this year, not to take anything away from Lebron.

And I'm pretty sure Ray Allen and all of the other sharpshooters on the Heat get a lot more easier shots then they would playing with Kobe because of Lebron's superior passing ability and ability to get into the lane and attract double teams.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM

2011 Finals. Lebron just never showed up.

SacJB Shady
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Kobe is connected to the force, the universal energy flow. Y'all lakers fans know what I mean. I'll take Kobe any day over lebron when it comes to a last shot.

Ne 1
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Maybe they win a couple more games with current LeBron instead of 34 year old, 17th year Kobe but that's about it. He's not going to fix the Lakers defense, or give Nash a fountain of youth, teach Gasol defense or turn back time to make this pre-surgery 2011 Dwight. He's not going to make what might be the worst bench in the NBA this year better or prevent all their injury woes and coaching problems. Oh, and he isn't going to transfer the Lakers to the inferior Eastern Conference from the loaded West where the Lakers would probably be the 2nd or 3rd seed right now.

guy
03-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe they win a couple more games with current LeBron instead of 34 year old, 17th year Kobe but that's about it. He's not going to fix the Lakers defense, or give Nash a fountain of youth, teach Gasol defense or turn back time to make this pre-surgery 2011 Dwight. He's not going to make what might be the worst bench in the NBA this year better or prevent all their injury woes and coaching problems. Oh, and he isn't going to transfer the Lakers to the inferior Eastern Conference from the loaded West where the Lakers would probably be the 2nd or 3rd seed right now.

Actually, Lebron is a significantly better defender then Kobe at this stage of his career, so their defense would improve. Lebron is a less aggressive leader so he'd probably get along much better with Dwight. Lebron is a better and more willing passer so Howard and Gasol probably wouldn't complain as much and they'd get more effort out of them as a result. And because of Lebron's athleticism, speed, and court vision, he's probably a better fit under D'Antoni's system.

Oh and the bolded is a very ridiculous exaggeration. If you applied the winning %s to the same amount of games played, the Lakers would be about 35-29, which is 8th place in the East.

Andrei89
03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Kobe has been playing great ball this season.

And Dwight seems to have found his groove the last games.

They need Dwight playing well to win as has been demonstrated earlier this season when Kobe was putting up great numbers and they were still losing because of Dwight's absence.

Curious about this post season.

Ne 1
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Actually, Lebron is a significantly better defender then Kobe at this stage of his career, so their defense would improve.

How much of a difference would his better perimeter defense make though? Besides, anyone who thinks Kobe's making the Lakers defense worse by himself is kidding themselves. He's not the main reason for their defensive struggles and their team defense would still suck even with LeBron. There's actually no reason for Kobe to waste his energy playing hard on defense when it would do nothing because the Lakers defense is a joke this year, mainly because of the coach and other players. D'Antoni's system doesn't put a premium on good defense (or good defensive players.)

Lebron is a less aggressive leader so he'd probably get along much better with Dwight. Lebron is a better and more willing passer

He is less aggressive, but there can be a down side to that. It's no secret that Kobe and Dwight aren't best friends, but getting along and being a less aggressive leader won't necessarily translate to success on the baksetball court. Dwight might still be playing unmotivated and if LeBron ends up playing too passive and defers too much to a lesser player that's not a good thing. I'd actually say Kobe is exactly the alpha aggressive type of leader the Lakers needed to light a fire under them. Sure Dwight pouted at first, but Kobe told him to know his role and deal with it. He's put the team on his back and now the Lakers are in position to make a playoff run because of his amazing play. Better passer is debatable, more willing is probably true though.

Don't forgot Kobe completely switched his game up and decided to play PG, which results in a 14 game stretch where he averaged 8+ APG. Than he comes back after then All-Star break and drops (essentially) back-to-back 40 point games and has been averaging 34/6/7 on 54 FG% Ridiculous.

And because of Lebron's athleticism, speed, and court vision, he's probably a better fit under D'Antoni's system.

Perhaps he is a better fit. But as we seen D'Antoni's system doesn't fit the Lakers' team or talent, especially Howard as it doesn't emphasize big men. and it doesn't involve lots of ball movement. So that dosen't mean being a better fit for system will lead to vastly more wins than their current record. And as I said already D'Antoni's system doesn't focus on defense, which has been one of the Lakers biggest problems all year long.

Oh and the bolded is a very ridiculous exaggeration. If you applied the winning %s to the same amount of games played, the Lakers would be about 35-29, which is 8th place in the East.

No it isn't. If the Lakers were in the East, they would be like the 3rd best team. Their schedule would be easier, thus resulting in at least a slightly better, or much better record. The West is much more brutal and loaded compared to the weak ass Eastern Conference.

guy
03-11-2013, 04:04 PM
How much of a difference would his better perimeter defense make though? Besides, anyone who thinks Kobe's making the Lakers defense worse by himself is kidding themselves. He's not the main reason for their defensive struggles and their team defense would still suck even with LeBron. There's actually no reason for Kobe to waste his energy playing hard on defense when it would do nothing because the Lakers defense is a joke this year, mainly because of the coach and other players. D'Antoni's system doesn't put a premium on good defense (or good defensive players.)

I'd probably say a pretty big difference when you look at how many close games they've lost, 7 games by 5 points or less, and 21 games by 10 points or less.

He is less aggressive, but there can be a down side to that. It's no secret that Kobe and Dwight aren't best friends, but getting along and being a less aggressive leader won't necessarily translate to success on the baksetball court. Dwight might still be playing unmotivated and if LeBron ends up playing too passive and defers too much to a lesser player that's not a good thing. I'd actually say Kobe is exactly the alpha aggressive type of leader the Lakers needed to light a fire under them. Sure Dwight pouted at first, but Kobe told him to know his role and deal with it. He's put the team on his back and now the Lakers are in position to make a playoff run because of his amazing play. Better passer is debatable, more willing is probably true though.

Lebron being a better passer is not debatable. And I think Lebron has turned the corner and being too passive isn't really an issue with him anymore. He knows when he needs to be more aggressive and when to get his teammates involved. He knows how to balance the two, moreso then Kobe. I'm not saying its really a problem anymore with Kobe/Dwight, but I don't think it would've been a problem at all with Lebron/Dwight.

Don't forgot Kobe completely switched his game up and decided to play PG, which results in a 14 game stretch where he averaged 8+ APG. Than he comes back after then All-Star break and drops (essentially) back-to-back 40 point games and has been averaging 34/6/7 on 54 FG% Ridiculous.

Right. So he started passing more and has been crazy efficient and they started winning more. In other words, he started playing more like Lebron has been playing all year and they started winning more.

Perhaps he is a better fit. But as we seen D'Antoni's system doesn't fit the Lakers' team or talent, especially Howard as it doesn't emphasize big men. and it doesn't involve lots of ball movement. So that dosen't mean being a better fit for system will lead to vastly more wins than their current record. And as I said already D'Antoni's system doesn't focus on defense, which has been one of the Lakers biggest problems all year long.

Well I'm not talking about just any one factor that Lebron would change would result in vastly more wins. I've mentioned a number of them.

No it isn't. If the Lakers were in the East, they would be like the 3rd best team. Their schedule would be easier, thus resulting in at least a slightly better, or much better record. The West is much more brutal and loaded compared to the weak ass Eastern Conference.

Maybe I wasn't as clear, but you just need to do the math. Lakers are 15-10 (.600) vs. the East and 18-21 (46%) vs. the West. If the Lakers played 39 games vs. the East and 25 games vs. the West instead with those same %s, they'd be about 23-16 vs. the East and 12-13 vs. the West, which would mean they'd be 35-29 i.e. the 8th seed in the East.

And by the way, the Heat actually have a better win% vs. the West then they do vs. the East.

Round Mound
03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Well He Is Playing With 2 All Star and HOF Big Men: A Top 1 C, a Top 4 PF and a Top 8 PG. He Actually Should Be Shooting 50% FG.

SacJB Shady
03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I think u can now say Kobe is the best to ever do it. When he's on his A game, Jordan can't touch him one on one. He would crush Mike.

KenneBell
03-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Well He Is Playing With 2 All Star and HOF Big Men: A Top 1 C, a Top 4 PF and a Top 8 PG. He Actually Should Be Shooting 50% FG.
Really?

Tell me how many times he's played with them in the lineup.

Let me help you.

5 times.

And that lineup has never played fully healthy.

64 games in and the Lakers have had 13 different starting lineups this year.

Kobe has had the team on his back for most if not all of the season. I didn't, he didn't and I don't think anyone expected that he would have to take this much load on at this point of his career.

Xsatyr
03-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Career highs

The crazy thing is that he has taken way more threes this year.

G-Funk
03-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Replace Kobe with Lebron and the Heat are 2-0, well on their way to 3. Thats a fact.

guy
03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Replace Kobe with Lebron and the Heat are 2-0, well on their way to 3. Thats a fact.

Its possible, but definitely not a fact and I probably wouldn't agree with it.

alleykat
03-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Well there are about 3 or 4 people who can arguably be called the best player in the league.....

anyways great run this year! I'm more impressed with his assists while still getting those numbers. Finally showing how good he is all around...

alleykat
03-12-2013, 12:04 AM

dwayde...

Segatti
03-12-2013, 12:16 AM

:facepalm

Ne 1
03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
I'd probably say a pretty big difference when you look at how many close games they've lost, 7 games by 5 points or less, and 21 games by 10 points or less.

Alright, fair enough. So like I said they probably would win a few more games with current prime 28 year old LeBron in place of a 4 years past his prime, 17th year in the league, 34 year old Kobe. You can say the same thing if you replace prime Kobe with current Kobe on this years Lakers, they probably win a few more games, but neither of them is going to magically fix all their problems and turn them into a team that's a guaranteed lock for the title.

Lebron being a better passer is not debatable.

Eh, I have always considered Lebron James "assists" ala Stephon Marbury-esque or Steve Francis-esque. I mean at their peaks they were what? 9 assists type of guys but you would never say that those 9 assists are similar to a Kidd or a Nash having 9 assists.

Truly great play makers/passers look to create plays out of nothing. LeBron, not so much. He's either going to drive into the lane or throw it out for a cop-out assist. LeBron almost always passes the ball if he knows it will lead to an assist. As great as LeBron's passing ability is said to be and how unselfish he is said to be based on his assist numbers, he tends to only pass if he will get that assist. LeBron pretty much refuses to pass just for the sake of ball movement and moving the defense, which is not a good thing at all when teams are packing in the lane.

The big difference between LeBron and Kobe is that Lebron looks for an assist, Kobe looks to make the right pass. James is a very willing passer but he is a willing passer to get the stats. Just look at how many times Bron will dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, until a shooter is open, that is called looking for the assist, not making the right pass.

Kobe doesn't ball pound the whole shot clock, he has always played within the offense as the Lakers facilitator, and he got more assists finding cutters than finding shooters.

Right. So he started passing more and has been crazy efficient and they started winning more. In other words, he started playing more like Lebron has been playing all year and they started winning more.

:oldlol: No, Kobe started the season putting up 30/5/5 playing 39-40 mpg at 34 years old in his 17th season. Expecting him to do much more would be crazy. Howard and especially Gasol were performing far below what was expected. Kobe has exceeded expectations all year and played better than anyone could have imagined. Stop making everything about Kobe. This year Howard had been injured, used poorly, and had played below even his current potential coming off of back surgery at both ends of the floor. Gasol has also been used poorly, injured, and just terrible. Those were 2 guys who the Lakers really needed. And D'Antoni is just a terrible coach. Kobe has been easily their best player all year and has played better than anyone could have expected. He also adjusted his game when Nash returned. The only part of his game that hasn't been very good is his defense, and that's been the case for a few years now. And as I said, anyone who actually thinks he's making the Laker defense worse by himself is kidding themselves.

Lakers are 15-10 (.600) vs. the East and 18-21 (46%) vs. the West. If the Lakers played 39 games vs. the East and 25 games vs. the West instead with those same %s, they'd be about 23-16 vs. the East and 12-13 vs. the West, which would mean they'd be 35-29 i.e. the 8th seed in the East.

This dosen't prove anything. It's a lot tougher and grueling having to play team like the Thunder, Spurs, Grizzles, Clippers etc. each night than it is playing weak ass Eastern Conference squads every night. I stand by what I say that if the Lakers were in the East they would be far above .500 The Heat have no one, besides maybe the Pacers, who can keep up with them. The East is such a easy conference and I have no doubt that if the Lakers were in the East we would be like the 3rd best team

guy
03-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Alright, fair enough. So like I said they probably would win a few more games with current prime 28 year old LeBron in place of a 4 years past his prime, 17th year in the league, 34 year old Kobe. You can say the same thing if you replace prime Kobe with current Kobe on this years Lakers, they probably win a few more games, but neither of them is going to magically fix all their problems and turn them into a team that's a guaranteed lock for the title.

Well, I wasn't comparing current Lebron with prime Kobe.

Eh, I have always considered Lebron James "assists" ala Stephon Marbury-esque or Steve Francis-esque. I mean at their peaks they were what? 9 assists type of guys but you would never say that those 9 assists are similar to a Kidd or a Nash having 9 assists.

Truly great play makers/passers look to create plays out of nothing. LeBron, not so much. He's either going to drive into the lane or throw it out for a cop-out assist. LeBron almost always passes the ball if he knows it will lead to an assist. As great as LeBron's passing ability is said to be and how unselfish he is said to be based on his assist numbers, he tends to only pass if he will get that assist. LeBron pretty much refuses to pass just for the sake of ball movement and moving the defense, which is not a good thing at all when teams are packing in the lane.

The big difference between LeBron and Kobe is that Lebron looks for an assist, Kobe looks to make the right pass. James is a very willing passer but he is a willing passer to get the stats. Just look at how many times Bron will dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, until a shooter is open, that is called looking for the assist, not making the right pass.

Yes, Lebron dominates the ball more, but not really as much this year, with the Heat being a team with a lot of ball movement, which is a big reason why they are so efficient. You thinking that he's a Marbury/Francis like passer is completely laughable and shows your bias :oldlol: And driving to the lane and then throwing it out for an assist isn't a cop-out assist. You realize that that is done by design right?

:oldlol: No, Kobe started the season putting up 30/5/5 playing 39-40 mpg at 34 years old in his 17th season. Expecting him to do much more would be crazy. Howard and especially Gasol were performing far below what was expected. Kobe has exceeded expectations all year and played better than anyone could have imagined. Stop making everything about Kobe. This year Howard had been injured, used poorly, and had played below even his current potential coming off of back surgery at both ends of the floor. Gasol has also been used poorly, injured, and just terrible. Those were 2 guys who the Lakers really needed. And D'Antoni is just a terrible coach. Kobe has been easily their best player all year and has played better than anyone could have expected. He also adjusted his game when Nash returned. The only part of his game that hasn't been very good is his defense, and that's been the case for a few years now. And as I said, anyone who actually thinks he's making the Laker defense worse by himself is kidding themselves.

Well obviously you're sensitive or you would've noticed that I never said this was all because of Kobe. I never said Howard and D'Antoni don't deserve blame. I never even said that Lebron in Kobe's place would meet expectations of this team before the season started. But I do think Lebron in Kobe's place makes up for more of the problems this team has, meaning this team's problems wouldn't have as negative of an impact on their record.

You're right, expecting Kobe to do more would be crazy simply because he's not capable of it. But Lebron is capable of doing more over a season, which he does.

This dosen't prove anything. It's a lot tougher and grueling having to play team like the Thunder, Spurs, Grizzles, Clippers etc. each night than it is playing weak ass Eastern Conference squads every night. I stand by what I say that if the Lakers were in the East they would be far above .500 The Heat have no one, besides maybe the Pacers, who can keep up with them. The East is such a easy conference and I have no doubt that if the Lakers were in the East we would be like the 3rd best team

Ummm, its ****ing math :oldlol: Sure it doesn't prove anything 100% because its not that simple, but its more indicative of what their record would be then just stupidly and blindly giving the same old excuse that the conference is weaker.

DatAsh
03-12-2013, 01:12 AM

I can't really see a prime Kobe or current Lebron being much belw .700 with this current Laker squad.

Kobe doesn't ball pound the whole shot clock, he has always played within the offense as the Lakers facilitator, and he got more assists finding cutters than finding shooters.

You're very biased if that's really what you see.

Agreed.

ILLsmak
03-12-2013, 02:25 AM
I was thinking of Kobe as an MVP candidate. I never thought I'd say it. I guess it depends on how the Lakers end up in the playoffs.

-Smak

guy
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I was thinking of Kobe as an MVP candidate. I never thought I'd say it. I guess it depends on how the Lakers end up in the playoffs.

-Smak

Kobe winning MVP over Lebron or even Durant would literally be by far the worst MVP choice ever or of at least the last 33 years.

MaxFly
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
I can't really see a prime Kobe or current Lebron being much belw .700 with this current Laker squad.

I can. Given the number of injuries they've dealt with, it's not hard to imagine at all. Nash and Blake missed a significant amount of games to start the season. Gasol played injured for most of the season and then missed a significant amount of games. Dwight Howard has spent most of the season working himself back into shape and effectiveness recovering from a surgically repaired back, and then dealt with the shoulder injury and missed games. Jordan Hill is practically missing the entire season...

All of this is compounded by the fact that some of the players were dealing with a new system coming into the season, and then training camp went out the window when Mike Brown was fired and D'Antoni hired.

When you have new pieces, a new system, and rampant injury, dysfunction is to be expected. I think people underestimate the value of stability and consistency and how it relates to winning. It's hard for teams to gel when they are dealing with new players, guys coming in and out of the rotation due to injury, a new system, and new coach... all at the same time, and to start the season.

G-Funk
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
It wouldnt have been crazy to give this mvp award to Kobe if the Lakers had the least amount of wins to get it, he has been more valuable to his team, he has completly done whatever it takes, he has been an amazing scorer when they needed him to be, he changed his game to a prime Jkidd style when his team most needed him to, he defended the best point guards when they needed hin to all at age 34. I Just dont see another team falling so dramatically if they lose their MVP

MaxFly
03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
It wouldnt have been crazy to give this mvp award to Kobe if the Lakers had the least amount of wins to get it, he has been more valuable to his team, he has completly done whatever it takes, he has been an amazing scorer when they needed him to be, he changed his game to a prime Jkidd style when his team most needed him to, he defended the best point guards when they needed hin to all at age 34. I Just dont see another team falling so dramatically if they lose their MVP

He got lit up by Westbrook the other day. I agree... his play has been impressive, but given how MVPs are chosen, team success is important. That team success isn't there for the Lakers.