PDA

View Full Version : It amazes me that the Heat bench is no better than the Lakers bench

Micku
03-10-2013, 11:00 PM
In stats so far anyway. The Heat bench is one of the worst in the league.

These are the stats:

Heat bench : 26.8 ppg, 42.5% FG, and 38.8% 3pt

Lakers bench: 27.0 ppg, 43.7%, and 35.8% 3pt

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/13/7/pts/1-1

The Heat have better shooters, but other than that, it's really the only thing that the Heat bench does better. They both kind'a equal at defense. I thought the Heat bench looked better with the eye test, but they always have Wade or LeBron out there with the bench.

While it is common to have a sucky bench and win titles, it still amaze me because they looked better than that when watching them.

Dave3
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
LeBron or Wade are continually splitting time with the bench, so that neither of them is off the floor at the same time. LeBron can be surrounded by bench players and still hang in there with even the best teams, as long as those players can defend and shoot (which the Heat bench can do), so the bench weakness is covered up.

Droid101
03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Um... you realize that Pau was stupidly coming off the bench for a while.

Trust me, our actual bench is the worst in the league.

IGOTGAME
03-10-2013, 11:26 PM
lol @ this. just goes to show you cant trust stats.

Micku
03-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Only for about seven games. And it wasn't stupid since he played better off the bench than as a starter imo.

And Portland is by far the worst bench in the league. No bench is more horrible than what they have. It just that Miami has the top 3 worst bench in scoring, but it never seem that way from watching them.

longtime lurker
03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Try watching a game. The fact that the Heat bench can actually play defense and shoot makes them 100 times better than the Lakers bench

L8kersfan222
03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
:lol

raid09
03-10-2013, 11:39 PM
lol @ this. just goes to show you cant trust stats.

Obviously you can trust stats... You just have to know what they mean.

All it says is the Lakers bench scores more than the Heat bench on similar FG%, which makes sense given the context. It doesn't however give any indication as to which bench is better or worse.

SyRyanYang
03-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Jamison, Blake and Meeks are all defensive liabilities with acceptable offensive productivity.

Micku
03-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Jamison, Blake and Meeks are all defensive liabilities with acceptable offensive productivity.

Try watching a game. The fact that the Heat bench can actually play defense and shoot makes them 100 times better than the Lakers bench

Miami bench do play better defensively, but not by much at all. The Lakers bench is more of a myth when it comes to stats. To expand on this:

Defense bench:

Miami: 33.9 ppg (allowed), 43.8% FG, 5 TOs and 37.4% 3pt.

Lakers: 34.0 ppg (allowed), 43.8% FG, 4 TOs and 35.8% 3pt

This is very impressive seeing how the Lakers play at a higher pace than Miami does. Lakers are top 3 in pacing while Miami is at 22nd.

What really adds up it are the starters of the Lakers SUCKS at playing defense. Not the bench. They are doing similar to Miami bench in points allowed and etc.

SevereUpInHere
03-11-2013, 12:01 AM
We got a +/- stat for benches? I'd be curious to see the figures for the whole league.

dannysc305
03-11-2013, 12:02 AM
The Heat's bench has an uncanny ability to step up in big games.

CHi1PriDe
03-11-2013, 12:02 AM

Portland has the worst bench

pmj
03-11-2013, 12:11 AM
The Heat bench isnt very good, especially in a measure like just pure stats. Almost no one can create their own shot, or get points down low. What they do have is a very particular set of skills; skills they have acquired over a very long career. Skills that can make them a nightmare for teams that help on defense.

cotdt
03-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Heat have: Ray Allen, Norris Cole, Shane Battier, Birdman.

Lakers have: Steve Blake, Jodie Meeks, Chris Duhon, Antawn Jamison

Use common sense which bench is better!

Micku
03-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Heat have: Ray Allen, Norris Cole, Shane Battier, Birdman.

Lakers have: Steve Blake, Jodie Meeks, Chris Duhon, Antawn Jamison

Use common sense which bench is better!

Names don't equal production.

SyRyanYang
03-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Better than your bullshit stats:coleman:

longtime lurker
03-11-2013, 12:35 AM

Do you say the same thing when people bring up the Lakers 4 hall of famers?

j3lademaster
03-11-2013, 01:52 AM
Do you say the same thing when people bring up the Lakers 4 hall of famers?Nash has stepped it up and Dwight's been playing out of his mind since the ASG. Dwight has been the reason the Lakers are winning.

When is this 'Kobe is carrying the Lakers with no help' cliche going to end? Focus on how good the Lakers are now, not a month ago. Get off that old broken record. That is unless Kobe putting up monster numbers > team winning to you.

plowking
03-11-2013, 01:58 AM

How are the stats bullshit?

Miami's bench is nothing great. The big 3 carry the load. The bench players just play their role, defense here and there, and basically give the starters a little break. The starting squad is simply amazing, and its the reason we win games.

moey-
03-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Stupid topic. Firstly Miami's bench actually plays acceptable D.

Secondly Miami's bench steps it up when it matters most.

SevereUpInHere
03-11-2013, 02:10 AM
Nash has stepped it up and Dwight's been playing out of his mind since the ASG. Dwight has been the reason the Lakers are winning.

When is this 'Kobe is carrying the Lakers with no help' cliche going to end? Focus on how good the Lakers are now, not a month ago. Get off that old broken record. That is unless Kobe putting up monster numbers > team winning to you.

Dwight has been playing better, but come on man, even the most rusted on Kobe hater has to admit that his play in the clutch have been almost solely responsible for bringing them back from some big holes they've found themselves in lately. Kobe has been playing out of his mind lately.

Micku
03-11-2013, 02:20 AM

How is that better when you see the bench production right there? That's just plain production. The stats say it, and they don't lie. They could be misleading. I'm just shocked that it's like that. Heat's bench sucks on offense by themselves.

Do you say the same thing when people bring up the Lakers 4 hall of famers?

Pttf. They do have 4 Hall of Famers and they are producing offensively. Their problem (throughout the year) have been defense, and not offense.

They have to deal with injuries and etc. And they had a rough time playing with each other. They still shouldn't been in this mess in the first place with the talent, so they are a easy target.

Micku
03-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Stupid topic. Firstly Miami's bench actually plays acceptable D.

Secondly Miami's bench steps it up when it matters most.

Not really. They are not really all that better than the Lakers on defense by themselves.

It seems that LeBron, Wade, and Bosh impact just make it seem like they are better than what they actually are. The starters of the Heat just seems to cover them up very well.

And I agree with the second point. But we'll see if they can continue in the playoffs.

moey-
03-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Not really. They are not really all that better than the Lakers on defense by themselves.

It seems that LeBron, Wade, and Bosh impact just make it seem like they are better than what they actually are. The starters of the Heat just seems to cover them up very well.

And I agree with the second point. But we'll see if they can continue in the playoffs.

I think Norris Cole alone is better than anyone of the Lakers bench players to be honest lol

imnew09
03-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Jodie Meek, Steve Blake, Antawn Jamison for Shane Battier, Ray Allen, Norris Cole, deal?

sg for sg
pg for pg
forward for forward.

I'll throw in Duhon, Morris too

longtime lurker
03-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Jodie Meek, Steve Blake, Antawn Jamison for Shane Battier, Ray Allen, Norris Cole, deal?

sg for sg
pg for pg
forward for forward.

Rofl really. Which team says no here? That's all you need to know about which bench is better

All Net
03-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Lets not forget mike miller is being saved for the playoffs too..

Vienceslav
03-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Numbers never lie , right guys?:roll:

Blue&Orange
03-11-2013, 07:34 AM
If you think now is bad, wait until two years from, Heat will have 7 player under contract, 2 of them completely useless, and just the mini-mid level exception, (3 million) to fill the roster.

People that think the big three aren't going to be history by then, haven't done the math.

This year might be the last chance the big three have to win a championship.

I would say the same thing for the Lakers, but they will be well under the cap by then, they are a short-term team.

kurple
03-11-2013, 07:39 AM
why cant they (Miami) win next season?

since you said this year, could be their last chance

HiphopRelated
03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
If you think now is bad, wait until two years from, Heat will have 7 player under contract, 2 of them completely useless, and just the mini-mid level exception, (3 million) to fill the roster.

People that think the big three aren't going to be history by then, haven't done the math.

I would say the same thing for the Lakers, but they will be well under the cap by then, they are a short-term team.
when is the Knicks 1st chance?

DaSeba5
03-11-2013, 08:42 AM
The Heat's bench is there to compliment the Big 3. It's not there to have some 6th man off the bench that holds on to the ball like a Crawford/Harden/Smith type of player. The Heat's bench is full of shooters and good defenders that LeBron and Wade pass the ball to. All the players buy into the Heat's culture of defense.

SacJB Shady
03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
The Lakers have one of the top 5 point guards of all time, the 2nd best shooting guard of all time, and the best center in the league! Plus when Pau Gasol comes back, he is a 7 foot 1 giant and has long arms like a pterodactyl. Seriously, the guy can ball! He just lost his confidence. If Kobe can excel at his age, Gasol can too and right now he's getting rested up!

The Lakers can win the championship this year! RIGHT NOW, they don't lose!! Chicago, Atlanta, it don't matter. Bring on the HEAT!!!!

DaSeba5
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
The Lakers have one of the top 5 point guards of all time, the 2nd best shooting guard of all time, and the best center in the league! Plus when Pau Gasol comes back, he is a 7 foot 1 giant and has long arms like a pterodactyl. Seriously, the guy can ball! He just lost his confidence. If Kobe can excel at his age, Gasol can too and right now he's getting rested up!

The Lakers can win the championship this year! RIGHT NOW, they don't lose!! Chicago, Atlanta, it don't matter. Bring on the HEAT!!!!

I thought you were a Warriors fan.

PJR
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
when is the Knicks 1st chance?

:oldlol: Yeah.

Please don't try to forcast the future of the Miami Heat with Pat Riley at the helm, you'll almost always be wrong in the end. People still aint learn after July 2010. :no:

guy
03-11-2013, 09:30 AM

Lakers had Pau coming off the bench for 7 of the 64 games so far this season.

:oldlol: Laker fans are so bewildered right now.

NumberSix
03-11-2013, 09:41 AM
No. Heat's bench plays defense.

All Net
03-11-2013, 09:42 AM

:lol wishful thinking at its fineness..

NBASTATMAN
03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
The Kobe stans AKA the Gasol haterz will bash Laker HOF'S to make Kobe seem better. The bench is bad just like the HEATS' bench.

Someone find me a season where Kobe was injured or hurt and the Lakers fell off. Even with Smush they went 2-2 one year.. Kobe is an amazing shot maker. The best I have ever seen but his stans take it too far and bash his own players..

I believe they went 0-2 one seaSON without Kobe..One season Pau carried the Lakers with both Kobe and Bynum hurt for a nice period.

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 10:15 AM
why cant they (Miami) win next season?

since you said this year, could be their last chance

If Wade plays like he is now, than Miami is going to be a problem for a long time. I don't know how anyone can think this Miami team only has a year or so left to win a title. Who the hell is going to stop them? There are no emerging super teams to battle with them. OKC had a chance until they traded Harden.

Nash
03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Heat bench keep it very simple and efficient. They play great defense with the help of the big 3 because one or two of them are always on the court and on offense they share the ball and have great shooters that spread the floor while using the fact that Lebron, Wade and Bosh get a lot of the focus from opposing defense. Doesn't make them better or not, just that they do their thing in a great machine. Just like Spurs. And actually, thinking about it, Miami reminds me a lot of Popvich's Spurs. The only difference is that Miami have the big athletic 3.

Blue&Orange
03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
:lol wishful thinking at its fineness..
You clearly have no idea what wishful thinking is, i guess you think it sounds cool.

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
You clearly have no idea what wishful thinking is, i guess you think it sounds cool.

I have never seen you make a post that didn't come off as being extremely butthurt. Don't be mad your team sucks, brah.

All Net
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM

You come off very bitter in every post about Miami

Like it or not miami will be contenders every year while Lebron is there.. They will be favourites to win it all for the next 2-3 years like it or not..

PJR
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Like it or not miami will be contenders every year while Lebron is there.. They will be favourites to win it all for the next 2-3 years like it or not..

What he's trying to insinuate is that the new CBA and harsher luxury tax penalties is going to force Miami to rid of the "Big Three".

What he doesn't know is that Heat owner Micky Arison is worth 4 billion, and operates the Heat as more of a hobby than a business. Micky would pay 500 million in luxury tax if it meant keeping LeGawd in the Heat uniform the rest of his career.

Miami will continue to get quality vets with the mini MLE just as they've done adding Shane Battier and Ray Allen. And will continue to find diamond in the rough types like Birdman Anderson/Rashard Lewis for the minimum. Like you said All Net, wishful thinking...:lol

LikeABosh
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
OP do you watch the games or just look at points per game and fg% to find out who's better? Heat bench>>>Lakers bench

Droid101
03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Portland has the worst bench
Well, I was being facetious a little bit. I mean, pretty much anyone's bench is better than the Charlotte starters, so think how bad THEIR bench is, right?

imnew09
03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Day 2 , I'm still waiting for your response OT

sg for sg
pg for pg
forward for forward.

Micku
03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Day 2 , I'm still waiting for your response OT

sg for sg
pg for pg
forward for forward.

Of course not. Like I said in my OP, I'm really surprise that Miami Heat bench is producing the same as Lakers bench.

But they are shooters, which compliment Heat's style. And Ray Ray is better than everyone in the Lakers bench, but the Lakers also missed guys like Hill and Gasol or Earl Clark if he goes back to the bench.

But if you do trade them, I don't think the Heat will really lose a step offense or defense this year once they get chemistry back up.

imnew09
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Of course not. Like I said in my OP, I'm really surprise that Miami Heat bench is producing the same as Lakers bench.

But they are shooters, which compliment Heat's style. And Ray Ray is better than everyone in the Lakers bench, but the Lakers also missed guys like Hill and Gasol or Earl Clark if he goes back to the bench.

Of course not was enough to close this thread.

But if you do trade them, I don't think the Heat will really lose a step offense or defense this year once they get chemistry back up.

:bowdown: :applause:

:facepalm Give me the shyt you're smoking.

Micku
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
:facepalm Give me the shyt you're smoking.

The bench of the Lakers and the bench of the Heat are basically the same as I posted before. The bench of the Lakers actually defend the 3pt shot better than the Heat, which is very surprising. The difference between the teams is actually the starters. That and the coach. Spo has always been good at defense.

The players that you asked to trade won't affect it defense that much. Guys like Chris Anderson, Haslem, and Joel Anthony (though he rarely plays) would affect the defense.

Riley Martin
03-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Lakers bench is worse. In names and production.

imnew09
03-11-2013, 07:38 PM
The players that you asked to trade won't affect it defense that much. Guys like Chris Anderson, Haslem, and Joel Anthony (though he rarely plays) would affect the defense.

Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Norris Cole won't affect the defense? :roll: :roll: omg, I will just stop posting because this is getting beyond retarded.

Micku
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Norris Cole won't affect the defense? :roll: :roll: omg, I will just stop posting because this is getting beyond retarded.

Shane Battier isn't as good as he was last year. Ray Allen and Cole aren't great defenders either. The entire Heat team isn't really as good as they were last year defensively actually. They are recently started to pick it up tho. You are letting reputation cloud in actual production.

But they are producing the same amount as the Lakers. The stats show it. They also show that the Heat bench are better shooters, which fits nicely to Wade and LBJ when they drive and kick out. This also gives you better spacing. But part of the reason why they are so good is because of Wade and LBJ ability to break down defense.

Defensively, they are about the same as well. They basically let the same amount of points as the Heat bench. They also defend the 3pt shot better. The Heat bench cause more turnovers. But they constantly let teams come back due to bad defense.

The difference between the two teams is that the Wade, LBJ and Bosh would play with them and they would get their shots. But they are basically the same as the Lakers bench in production, which is shocking. Wade and LBJ are the difference.

Apart from Ray Allen, they probably won't be as effective if they were on the Lakers is what I'm saying.

Blue&Orange
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM

I said last chance for the big three, not for Lebron, reading comprehension is fundamental, dumb people should try harder at it.

Askmeificare
03-31-2013, 09:54 PM
In stats so far anyway. The Heat bench is one of the worst in the league.

These are the stats:

Heat bench : 26.8 ppg, 42.5% FG, and 38.8% 3pt

Lakers bench: 27.0 ppg, 43.7%, and 35.8% 3pt

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/13/7/pts/1-1

The Heat have better shooters, but other than that, it's really the only thing that the Heat bench does better. They both kind'a equal at defense. I thought the Heat bench looked better with the eye test, but they always have Wade or LeBron out there with the bench.

While it is common to have a sucky bench and win titles, it still amaze me because they looked better than that when watching them.

:biggums: