PDA

View Full Version : Avery Bradley proving best perimeter D

PP34Deuce
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I know everyone has Shumpert, Bledsoe, and Allen as some of the best perimeter defensive players in the league, but Bradley to me is showing he is above those guys.

Sucks we lost, but it was amazing to see Bradley literally take out Westbrook in the game and frustrate him.

The only other guy I see who can move through picks is Tony Allen, but Bradley is proving to be quicker laterally( Allen is 30-31 now)

Hes underrated at strength for PGs...Saw him body Westbrook numerous times without fouling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgG952iQoJQ How many guys that are role players make you excited to watch them? Bradley is one of them.

The guy was blessed with defensive instincts combined with wingspan and athletiscm

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Definitely the best. Even better than Tony Allen imo.

PJR
03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I'd say it's fair to say he's the best on ball defending guard in NBA. I am sold. Dude is a pesk.

And Iman Shumpert was NEVER as good as Bradley, despite what Knicks homers were claiming.

PP34Deuce
03-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Hes only like 6'1 but he plays bigger than Courtney Lee who is 6'5. When he plays D, its infectious.. Skip Bayless said people will start calling him Bradley Island because he just takes primary ball handlers who aren't Lebron James out of the game.

andremiller07
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah hes the #1 perimeter defender atm no doubt and in regards to Lee being 6'5 my god he looks small for 6''5 on tv he looks no bigger than 6'3 to me.

PP34Deuce
03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Yeah hes the #1 perimeter defender atm no doubt and in regards to Lee being 6'5 my god he looks small for 6''5 on tv he looks no bigger than 6'3 to me.

lee is probably close to 6'3.5-6'4.

Rolando
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Not from last night but a nice block on Westbrook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZhWnwDwpnA

Whoah10115
03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I think most people rank Bradley #1 and try to suggest that Shump and Bledsoe are overrated. Tony Allen gets overlooked but he's still #1 to me.

Sarcastic
03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I'd say it's fair to say he's the best on ball defending guard in NBA. I am sold. Dude is a pesk.

And Iman Shumpert was NEVER as good as Bradley, despite what Knicks homers were claiming.

It wasn't only Knick fans claiming that. Lindsey Hunter, Head Coach for the Phoenix Suns, said it as well. It was the reason the Suns wanted to trade for him. Shumpert is much bigger than Bradley, and can guard more positions.

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Agreed. Shumpery isn't on Bradley's level. Overrated trash

PP34Deuce
03-11-2013, 11:59 AM
It wasn't only Knick fans claiming that. Lindsey Hunter, Head Coach for the Phoenix Suns, said it as well. It was the reason the Suns wanted to trade for him. Shumpert is much bigger than Bradley, and can guard more positions.

Shumpert is a lil more explosive as far as power when he gets to the rim... But other than that, his IQ on defense is more gambling.

Bradley actually has a high IQ on defense and what makes him crazy is he understands PnR defense while having elite quickness to recover if someone beats him.

Yesterday Westbrook simply could not get past him and when he did, Bradley recovered and blocked him on that lay up. he plays perimeter D like a Defensive Back.

NumberSix
03-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Overrated.

Whoah10115
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Shumpert is a lil more explosive as far as power when he gets to the rim... But other than that, his IQ on defense is more gambling.

Bradley actually has a high IQ on defense and what makes him crazy is he understands PnR defense while having elite quickness to recover if someone beats him.

Yesterday Westbrook simply could not get past him and when he did, Bradley recovered and blocked him on that lay up. he plays perimeter D like a Defensive Back.

Bradley may be have higher defensive IQ than Shumpert, but that says more about Bradley than it does about Shumpert. Shump is much more aggressive. He knows what he wants to do and he clearly knows the risks, but he goes for it. He was incredible last year. This year he is obviously not close. He'll be back tho.

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Bradley may be have higher defensive IQ than Shumpert, but that says more about Bradley than it does about Shumpert. Shump is much more aggressive. He knows what he wants to do and he clearly knows the risks, but he goes for it. He was incredible last year. This year he is obviously not close. He'll be back tho.

Yea, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Bradley is better than Shumpert at almost everything.

roffie
03-11-2013, 12:48 PM
avery godley

pauk
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Best perimeter D amongst PGs yes, full-court pressure and so on, he is limited guarding PGs and ofcourse he does that better than anybody... but thats just to one dimensional to call it best perimeter D all in all for me at least....

Tony Allen has more dimensions to his perimeter D and Lebron has the most....

So it depends on what you call best Perimeter D, the guy that can defend any perimeter player (PG/SG/SF) or the guy that defends one specific position better than anybody (PG)

Grinder
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I think most people rank Bradley #1 and try to suggest that Shump and Bledsoe are overrated. Tony Allen gets overlooked but he's still #1 to me.

How does Tony Allen get overlooked? He was all first team defense last year and is widely considered by most to be the best perimeter defender in the league.

Best perimeter defenders are Allen, Bradley, Sefolosha, and Battier.

Lebron23
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Avery Bradley is a legit 6'2". (6'3.25" in his shoes.) Courtney Lee is 6'3.50" (6'4.75" in his shoes).

Lebron23
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
2008 NBA Pre Draft Measurements ( Measurements that are not listed at NBA Draft express.)

Courtney Lee - 6'3 1/2
Serge Ibaka 6'8 1/2
Mario Chalmers 6'0 1/2
Ryan Anderson 6'8"
Roy Hibbert 7'0 1/2"
Alexis Ajinca 6'10"
JJ Hickson 6'7 1/2
Danilo Gallinari 6'9"

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/26/sports/sp-mockchart26

pauk
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
How does Tony Allen get overlooked? He was all first team defense last year and is widely considered by most to be the best perimeter defender in the league.

Battier? Havent seen Battier guard a perimeter player since the NBA Finals anyways (and there he got torched by Durant). Nah, Lebron is a much better perimeter defender than Battier, even Wade is...

Best perimeter defenders are these guys when they turn it on:

Lebron (can shut down any perimeter player)
Bradley (one dimensional but best at that dimension)
Allen (can shut down pgs/sgs)
Igoudala (guards any perimeter player)
Sefolosha (guards any perimeter player)

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Battier is far from his prime. Still a nice role player, but he hasn't been elite on defense for the last few seasons. He actually got torched all last season. But he made up for it going retarded from 3pt land in the Finals

brandonislegend
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Of course he locked up Westbrick he is an average ball handler and has the IQ of a peanut, whenever he goes against a good defender this happens.

Avery Bradley is the best perimeter defender next to tony allen

OKCThunderUP
03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Not trying to discredit Bradley's D, but don't use yesterday's game vs Westbrook as a measuring stick. He's coming off a pretty nasty ankle roll he suffered against the Lakers on Friday. He was obviously hindered. Didn't even try to attack the rim like he usually does.

Nezty
03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Best perimeter D amongst PGs yes, full-court pressure and so on, he is limited guarding PGs and ofcourse he does that better than anybody... but thats just to one dimensional to call it best perimeter D all in all for me at least....

So it depends on what you call best Perimeter D, the guy that can defend any perimeter player (PG/SG/SF) or the guy that defends one specific position better than anybody (PG)

I don't get why everyone sweats LeBron's D when he never even guards the best opposing offensive player. How is his D that great, I can't see.

dannywpt
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Look, pauk made this about LeBron!

inclinerator
03-11-2013, 07:33 PM
damn will be watching celts game cuz of his d now

ballup
03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Must...not....make.....inappropriate.....***** jokes.....:mad:

arifgokcen
03-11-2013, 07:42 PM
This thread is gonna turn into pauk/lebron23 vs kennethgriffin/riphtetik/rysio

KG215
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Lebron (can shut down any perimeter player)
Igoudala (guards any perimeter player)
Sefolosha (guards any perimeter player)
Why not say the same thing about Sefolosha and Iguodala as you did LeBron? You very well could argue Iguodala is a better defender than LeBron and he's more than capable of "shutting down perimeter player."

I won't try and make a case or Thabo. He struggles a little more with bigger perimeter players, but he's excellent at using his size and length to bother guards shorter than him.

KG215
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Look, pauk made this about LeBron!
In other news, water is wet.

Seriously, a thread to appreciate how great of a defender Avery Bradley is, and he of course comes in and tries to make it about LeBron. I probably shouldn't have responded to his post, but he did his usual thing where he sorta kinda compliments a player by saying they're in the same category as LeBron, but then he follows it up with a backhand compliment..."LeBron can shutdown any perimeter player" compared to "Iguodala can guard any perimeter player."

Trentknicks
03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Pauk comes in and makes it about Lebron, DicktheCocker's life still revolves around the Knicks, what else is new.

PP34Deuce
03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Not trying to discredit Bradley's D, but don't use yesterday's game vs Westbrook as a measuring stick. He's coming off a pretty nasty ankle roll he suffered against the Lakers on Friday. He was obviously hindered. Didn't even try to attack the rim like he usually does.

I would say the same thing but then same time last year, he frustrated the hell out of Westbrook last year. Westbrook couldn't really drive on him last year.

His measuring stick to me is looking at his videos and seeing what he does to opposing PGs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgG952iQoJQ

Graviton
03-11-2013, 10:07 PM
His kryptonite is Kyrie Irving, dude destroyed Boston multiple times and Bradley couldn't do anything about it.

SilkkTheShocker
03-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Honestly, Shumpert is straight up trash. Watch the games, people. Bradley is on a whole other level of defense

NBASTATMAN
03-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Lebron is not a top tier on the ball defender... He is great at team defense and at help defense. He is a good on the ball defender..:rockon:

NBASTATMAN
03-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Sef is GOOD but not a top tier on the ball defender and Battier was never that good. He made his name by blocking a defenders eye sight..:roll:

Allen and Bradley are top tier on the ball defenders. Butler from Chitown will be nice one day as well.

Graviton
03-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Sef is GOOD but not a top tier on the ball defender and Battier was never that good. He made his name by blocking a defenders eye sight..:roll:

Allen and Bradley are top tier on the ball defenders. Butler from Chitown will be nice one day as well.
Yea Thabo is overrated, he made his name by guarding small guys while getting owned by anyone his size or bigger.

Butler is already better than Deng, he is kinda a bigger version of Bradley, just more tough physical defender instead of pressure guy.

Whoah10115
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM

He just doesn't get that much attention. He made the 1st Team last year and I hope he makes it again, but he doesn't get the hype that other people get.

I don't get why everyone sweats LeBron's D when he never even guards the best opposing offensive player. How is his D that great, I can't see.

LeBron's D isn't about man defense; it's about the disruption he causes. Pauk is not at all correct in saying LeBron shuts people down. That isn't what he does. But he's all over the place, when he's on his game.

SilkkTheShocker
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Still lmao at the guy who tried arguing Shumpert was just as good. Shumpert is ****ing trash

JohnnySic
03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I want the Heat in the playoffs; I want to see Bradley and Lee make Wade completely irrelevant.

PJR
03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I want the Heat in the playoffs; I want to see Bradley and Lee make Wade completely irrelevant.

Fat chance.

SilkkTheShocker
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM

You have said you wanted the Heat the last two seasons in the playoffs. Boston can't beat LeBron or Wade unless they are back on their one man teams.

AirTupac
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Fat chance.

http://i.minus.com/ibhdOu6mCInUvb.gif

JohnnySic
03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Fat chance.
You're right; not when the refs do what they do.

JohnnySic
03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
You have said you wanted the Heat the last two seasons in the playoffs. Boston can't beat LeBron or Wade unless they are back on their one man teams.
Or when the refs eject Celtics players (Paul Pierce) for no reason, ignore fouls against Boston (Rondo), and call offensive fouls by Miami the other way (Wade). Yeah, its hard to beat that.

SilkkTheShocker
03-12-2013, 02:21 PM
You're right; not when the refs do what they do.

You mean like how the refs help swing a title in Boston's favor during the 08 Finals?

PJR
03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Or when the refs eject Celtics players (Paul Pierce) for no reason, ignore fouls against Boston (Rondo), and call offensive fouls by Miami the other way (Wade). Yeah, its hard to beat that.

Would you like some cheese with that whine, sir?

Tking714
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Hes only like 6'1 but he plays bigger than Courtney Lee who is 6'5. When he plays D, its infectious.. Skip Bayless said people will start calling him Bradley Island because he just takes primary ball handlers who aren't Lebron James out of the game.

People were calling it Shumpert Island last year before Shump got injured

DuMa
03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I like Bradley. but he is really only limited to guarding PGs and combo guards. not bigger guards like Kobe or Iso Joe. Plus there are ALOT of really good PGs in the NBA. In order to earn that reputation of being the best perimeter defender from me, He will have to shut down, lets say a good number like 80% of the PGs in the NBA. Thats very unlikely he could do that. the best offenses are always gonna beat the best defenses.

We also have to take into account of the Boston defensive scheme. KG is worldly renowned as the best all-around defender in the NBA still. How would Bradley do without KG backing him up in the paint and on the perimeter?

Celtic_Pride
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
People were calling it Shumpert Island last year before Shump got injured

Not people, delusional Knicks fans

I have seen yesterday's Warriors and Knicks highlights. Curry dribbles at the 3 point line and shoots it, Shumpert who is guarding him doesn't even bother to contest that shot! Its Stephen Curry who lit up their a$ses last game and is arguably the best 3 point shooter today but this fool does not even tries to raise his hand.

PP34Deuce
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I like Bradley. but he is really only limited to guarding PGs and combo guards. not bigger guards like Kobe or Iso Joe. Plus there are ALOT of really good PGs in the NBA. In order to earn that reputation of being the best perimeter defender from me, He will have to shut down, lets say a good number like 80% of the PGs in the NBA. Thats very unlikely he could do that. the best offenses are always gonna beat the best defenses.

We also have to take into account of the Boston defensive scheme. KG is worldly renowned as the best all-around defender in the NBA still. How would Bradley do without KG backing him up in the paint and on the perimeter?

Bradley cut westbrook off drives without help. What makes him unique is he can play a pnr and disrupt players.

Its a combo guard era...hes built to disrupt the cp3s parkers urvings of the world. And he axtually frustrated the hell out of legit size sgs like jr smith

Celtic_Pride
03-12-2013, 02:54 PM

No point guard in this league can take Bradley 1 on 1 and score consistently on him. The specialty of Bradley is that he is damn good in sliding through screens and is the best in the league to do that. KG is still a good help defender but not the same player he was like few years back. Don't forget Boston's defense is a lot better since Bradley came back!

ballup
03-12-2013, 02:56 PM

But here's the thing. Bradley's defense is pretty independent of KG. Bradley doesn't trick you and then tries to poke the ball away like Rondo, he straight up legally harasses his guy from the front. He really sticks to his guy even after screens and you'll see him in front of the ball handler almost all the time.. He can severely limit a vast majority of PGs with his on ball pressure.

PP34Deuce
03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
No point guard in this league can take Bradley 1 on 1 and score consistently on him. The specialty of Bradley is that he is damn good in sliding through screens and is the best in the league to do that. KG is still a good help defender but not the same player he was like few years back. Don't forget Boston's defense is a lot better since Bradley came back!

He plays defense like a cornerback hugged to hisman.. He plays defense on every assignment with the same aggression

Kujo
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
He's a tremendous on the ball defender. Tony Allen, and Avery are 1A, and 1B right now in the league.

Tking714
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Not people, delusional Knicks fans

I have seen yesterday's Warriors and Knicks highlights. Curry dribbles at the 3 point line and shoots it, Shumpert who is guarding him doesn't even bother to contest that shot! Its Stephen Curry who lit up their a$ses last game and is arguably the best 3 point shooter today but this fool does not even tries to raise his hand.

He was quicker before his knee injury; last year. You're talking about yesterday. Post-injury

Walker
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
You're all wrong

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P+J+Tucker+Phoenix+Suns+v+New+York+Knicks+Bt7L1ewb C-vl.jpg

chips93
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
But here's the thing. Bradley's defense is pretty independent of KG. Bradley doesn't trick you and then tries to poke the ball away like Rondo, he straight up legally harasses his guy from the front. He really sticks to his guy even after screens and you'll see him in front of the ball handler almost all the time.. He can severely limit a vast majority of PGs with his on ball pressure.

i disagree, in a lot of the clips bradley seems really aware of where the help is, and knowing that there are certain areas of the floor that he can allow the offensive player to drive into, so it gives him more room to push up on a ball handler, because he knows if he gets beat, he can funnel the player into the help defense.

he knows where the help is, and forces the offensive player into it.

his block at 0:28 on augustin is a good example of this. or at 1:52, where he knows that kg is loading up on the strong side, so he forces kidd towards the baseline and the help.

thats not a knock on bradley. it takes great awareness and trust in your teammates to know how to use them as help on defense. sure it probably wouldnt be as effective if he didnt have a teammate like kg, but what is he supposed to do? not utilise his teammates strengths?

PP34Deuce
03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
i disagree, in a lot of the clips bradley seems really aware of where the help is, and knowing that there are certain areas of the floor that he can allow the offensive player to drive into, so it gives him more room to push up on a ball handler, because he knows if he gets beat, he can funnel the player into the help defense.

he knows where the help is, and forces the offensive player into it.

his block at 0:28 on augustin is a good example of this. or at 1:52, where he knows that kg is loading up on the strong side, so he forces kidd towards the baseline and the help.

thats not a knock on bradley. it takes great awareness and trust in your teammates to know how to use them as help on defense. sure it probably wouldnt be as effective if he didnt have a teammate like kg, but what is he supposed to do? not utilise his teammates strengths?

In many other clips you see him defending pnr great and taking guys without help. He gave jr smith fits without help..dwade block last season... Made curry very unconfortable. Our pweimeter d by him elevates everyone. Bradley still holds guys in check when bass is in the game

imdaman99
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
he is a really good defender. he has healed better than shump has. but im not ready to give up on shump

chips93
03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
In many other clips you see him defending pnr great and taking guys without help. He gave jr smith fits without help..dwade block last season... Made curry very uncomfortable. Our perimeter d by him elevates everyone. Bradley still holds guys in check when bass is in the game

im not trying to discredit him. hes great one-on-one without any help (the video showcases this in a few clips)

knowing how to use your teammates help defense is a great attribute.